PDA

View Full Version : 7 Clubs (inc. WBFC) fined for Anti-Doping Code Breach

bulldogtragic
09-11-2016, 04:59 PM
Seven clubs fined for Anti-Doping Code breach
Peter Ryan - afl.com.au
November 9, 2016 3:45 PM

SEVEN clubs have been fined for breaches of rules relating to player whereabouts information under the AFL Anti-Doping Code.

Hawthorn was sanctioned $7500 for three breaches, West Coast and Geelong $5000 each for two breaches and Collingwood, Essendon, the Western Bulldogs and St Kilda $2500 for one breach apiece.

AFL players must provide complete up-to-date whereabouts information at all times for testing purposes as they may be tested 365 days a year for WADA prohibited drugs.

Although the AFL found the failures were due to administrative errors rather than an intentional breach, the AFL's general counsel Andrew Dillon said all clubs needed to be diligent in meeting their paperwork requirements.

Meanwhile, ASADA and the AFL are yet to complete investigations into a case involving Greater Western Sydney player Lachie Whitfield and former officials Graeme Allan and Craig Lambert.

The trio is being investigated over allegations Whitfield went out of his way to avoid drug testers early last year.

bulldogtragic
09-11-2016, 05:00 PM
Why didn't we just tell them the exonerating evidence was on a lost mobile phone?

comrade
09-11-2016, 05:13 PM
Good timing by the AFEL. Releasing some unflattering news amidst the Trumping of America.

Twodogs
09-11-2016, 05:41 PM
Good timing by the AFEL. Releasing some unflattering news amidst the Trumping of America.

The year of the underdog effect again.

Murphy'sLore
09-11-2016, 05:50 PM
This was one underdog result this year I did NOT want to see.

Sorry, politics. As you were.

hujsh
09-11-2016, 11:53 PM
The year of the underdog effect again.

Worth it

Twodogs
10-11-2016, 12:34 AM
Worth it

It sure was. I wouldn't change a thing

1eyedog
10-11-2016, 09:36 AM
So you've got know where every player on the list is 365 days a year? Serious?

bornadog
10-11-2016, 09:43 AM

Sounds abit stupid to me

Twodogs
10-11-2016, 09:47 AM

Sounds abit stupid to me

They are stupid rules. But they are the rules until we grow a spine and stand up to these unelected bullies who just love to tell people what they can and can't do.

I'm waiting for some help I can't stand to up to these thugs by myself.

1eyedog
10-11-2016, 10:25 AM
Sounds abit stupid to me

AFEL anti-doping policies vs management of doping breaches are bipolar. We're seen to be at the forefront of anti-doping until doping actually occurs, and then the AFEL's first and foremost action is to protect the brand with cover ups and delays.

Greystache
10-11-2016, 12:57 PM

Every player is subject to random testing in and out of competition. It's hard to test someone if you don't know where they are.

If you don't make it a compliance to state where you'll be 365 days a year (they actually nominate a time of day usually very early morning where they can be found) then players could go on an 8 week doping program during preseason interstate, come back and say oh yeah I was on holidays that's why I wasn't around to be tested but don't worry I didn't use any drugs trust me.

If the AFL ran the anti-doping program I've no doubt that's exactly how it would work- We don't want to catch you and you don't want to get caught, so if you're taking performance enhancing drugs stay at someone else's house and we'll just say we couldn't locate you to test. Then when you're clean be at home and we'll test you then. 100% clean tests record- and the AFEL announce to the world the AFL is the cleanest sport on the planet. It would be beyond insane.

1eyedog
10-11-2016, 02:33 PM
Every player is subject to random testing in and out of competition. It's hard to test someone if you don't know where they are.

If you don't make it a compliance to state where you'll be 365 days a year (they actually nominate a time of day usually very early morning where they can be found) then players could go on an 8 week doping program during preseason interstate, come back and say oh yeah I was on holidays that's why I wasn't around to be tested but don't worry I didn't use any drugs trust me.

If the AFL ran the anti-doping program I've no doubt that's exactly how it would work- We don't want to catch you and you don't want to get caught, so if you're taking performance enhancing drugs stay at someone else's house and we'll just say we couldn't locate you to test. Then when you're clean be at home and we'll test you then. 100% clean tests record- and the AFEL announce to the world the AFL is the cleanest sport on the planet. It would be beyond insane.

So Ryan Griffen is pig shooting between xxx co-ordinate and yyy co-ordinate over the next 4 weeks and the AFEL want to test him within that window??? Does he need a sat phone to ring in his co-ord every day or a GPS plugged into the servers at GWS to facilitate the test? Sounds like parole for the player and a micro-management disaster for clubs.

No wonder seven teams just got nailed a few k each.

Topdog
10-11-2016, 02:54 PM
So Ryan Griffen is pig shooting between xxx co-ordinate and yyy co-ordinate over the next 4 weeks and the AFEL want to test him within that window??? Does he need a sat phone to ring in his co-ord every day or a GPS plugged into the servers at GWS to facilitate the test? Sounds like parole for the player and a micro-management disaster for clubs.

It's an interesting one about being off grid. I just spent 4 days with absolutely no phone access.

I'm sure they have provisions for these kinds of things.

Not sure we could find out exactly what detail needs to be given and how granular that detail needs to be. Things like holidays would certainly have to be accounted for.

Twodogs
10-11-2016, 03:10 PM
It's an interesting one about being off grid. I just spent 4 days with absolutely no phone access.

I'm sure they have provisions for these kinds of things.

Not sure we could find out exactly what detail needs to be given and how granular that detail needs to be. Things like holidays would certainly have to be accounted for.

It must come up from time to time. They would have a set of provisions about what to do in those circumstances.

Greystache
10-11-2016, 04:44 PM

As others have said there's provision for extreme situations but there'd also be a limit to how far those provisions extend. If Griffen advised he's going pig shooting for 4 weeks and can't be contacted that wouldn't be acceptable I'd suggest.

If they don't like the conditions then they get a job in a different industry. One I'd suggest would pay a lot less money with a lot more hours. Or better yet go and play Major League baseball, NFL, or take up body bullding where doping is accepted, protected, and rampant because their governing bodies "monitor" it themselves rather than sign up to WADA. Just don't pretend to be a victim of the system when you and your former team mates are dying from drug related side effects in their 40s and 50s. Plus obviously don't get caught by anyone not affiliated with the league who can't be silenced i.e. the US Feds and BALCO otherwise they may have to hang a scapegoat to pretend they don't condone doping.

dukedog
10-11-2016, 07:37 PM

You sir have nailed it. But the issue is. If everyone just says the are in the middle of butt suck idaho hunting pigs. Those clip board morons wont go there to test. Its only if you say you are hiding that they know you are guilty. Pencil pushers are the scum of the earth.

anfo27
10-11-2016, 08:58 PM
I'm guessing its because they couldn't find libba after the grand final celebrations. Good luck with that ASADA.

dukedog
10-11-2016, 09:55 PM
I'm guessing its because they couldn't find libba after the grand final celebrations. Good luck with that ASADA.

Hahahaha. Classic. If footballers go overseas and get loose in their personal time. Thats fine by me. Media should stop harrassing them and flying it on the web and tv. They are human. Yes public eye blah blah....but in another country they are nobodies. Let them be.