PDA

View Full Version : ASICS on board as apparel partner

bornadog
10-11-2016, 10:39 AM
https://ci5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/VXn0ShnsPRMRrTT9Yj3YK-E2GIfvkR7McE2BFfLeRXC0KFoFSrLir8hRJAgMsQNeOlR8xSwzYk4BGlD0iN HacYKYfs9-k7SIToCNB4spAVNsfKkoUQT-MHkyv_WFBBPE0OIVDlBVNtrxU9BtcggrlgkpldlR=s0-d-e1-ft#http://image.tmclient.ticketmaster.com/lib/fe9515707d640c7871/m/6/AsicsAnnouncement-EDM-ART.jpg

The Western Bulldogs have today announced a new apparel partnership with global sporting goods giant ASICS.

The ASICS logo will adorn Western Bulldogs on-field apparel for the next five years, with the partnership extending to 2021.
The Club’s guernsey will see the traditional red, white and blue hoops remain, along with an additional red detail on the collar.

The 2017 guernsey will also feature the AFL premiers gold logo.

A leading running shoe brand for enthusiasts and professional athletes, ASICS is at the forefront of the world performance sports market and continues its rapid growth in the apparel space, with innovative design, research and technology key features of their range.

Bulldogs CEO Gary Kent said the Club was thrilled to partner with the international sporting goods brand.

“To partner with ASICS, who are such an iconic name in sporting apparel and footwear globally, is another big step forward for our Club.

“It’s important to us that we partner with compatible brands, and ASICS’ focus on people, community, innovation and performance ensure we have some important shared focuses.

“Our players and staff will benefit from ASICS’ high-quality apparel range, while we are also excited about the comprehensive apparel offering for our supporters and members.

ASICS Managing Director Allan Russell said the brand also looked forward to partnering with the Bulldogs.
“ASICS is delighted to partner with the Western Bulldogs Football Club from 2017.

“As a brand driven by innovations in sporting footwear and apparel through sports science, we look for like-minded partners to grow with as we strive to achieve our growth plan in 2020.

“Through their involvement with Victoria University on sports science research and the innovative way the Bulldogs run their club both on-field and off-field, there are many synergies between ASICS and the Western Bulldogs.

“We look forward to working closely with the club for many successful years ahead.”

The new guernsey is now available to purchase from all major sports stores and AFL retailers, as well as online at www.asics.com.au (http://www.asics.com.au) and shop.westernbulldogs.com.au

bulldogtragic
10-11-2016, 10:43 AM
Hopefully they are paying a huge premium to be our apparel partner for five years through our window. Looking at premiership apparel sales, if/when we win it again they could recoup a lot of the sponsorship.

More great news for the club.

Pickenitup
10-11-2016, 12:58 PM
Will be going to asics store in city to grab some stuff they are fully stocked up on all the new gear

AndrewP6
10-11-2016, 01:39 PM
The grey polo is a controversial first choice for them to make. Doesn't grab me at all. I won't be getting a charcoal grey polo.

The Pie Man
10-11-2016, 02:40 PM
Those hoops just keep getting lower & lower

Twodogs
10-11-2016, 04:06 PM
Those hoops just keep getting lower & lower

I wonder how long it will be before some marketing genius suggests we flip the red and white hoops?

Twodogs
10-11-2016, 04:08 PM
Do all our jumpers have the gold AFL logo next year or do just the players who played in the premiership?

Mitcha
10-11-2016, 05:46 PM
At last check our colours were Red, White and Blue. Anything with the Grey in it looks like it belongs at the GWS Giants. I will be boycotting anything that is containing the Grey and I would urge everyone to do the same, not good enough and unsure why the club would have approved it.

Topdog
10-11-2016, 10:05 PM
Do all our jumpers have the gold AFL logo next year or do just the players who played in the premiership?
All of them, brilliant isnt it. Basically bragging at every game next year.

At last check our colours were Red, White and Blue. Anything with the Grey in it looks like it belongs at the GWS Giants. I will be boycotting anything that is containing the Grey and I would urge everyone to do the same, not good enough and unsure why the club would have approved it.

I must have missed something, where are you seeing grey?

Twodogs
10-11-2016, 10:55 PM
All of them, brilliant isnt it. Basically bragging at every game next year.

It just keeps getting better.

bornadog
10-11-2016, 10:58 PM

https://asics.scene7.com/is/image/asics/WBMP1723_1006_0010292905_FT?$product$

Twodogs
10-11-2016, 11:03 PM
Weird. It's like it's hiding the real colours with just bits of red and blue.

AndrewP6
11-11-2016, 01:03 AM

Agree. Really baffled by this, just after celebrating our 2nd premiership, they have a perfect chance to flood the online and Whitten Oval stores with red, white and blue, and instead they release new gear featuring charcoal... Completely absurd.

AndrewP6
11-11-2016, 01:05 AM

The polos and T shirts are most definitely charcoal, so too the new shorts. It looks positively awful, and is a massive blown opportunity IMO.

hujsh
11-11-2016, 11:24 PM
Training singlets not in at the ASICS store yet so got a premiership guernsey and a pair of shorts.

Shorts'll get a fair workout as I quite like them.

Webby
12-11-2016, 04:13 PM
Got my kids a new guernsey each today at the Kennel. Got them home and held them up against the BLK one.

It's a lot lighter than the BLK one. The blue, I mean. It had always struck me that the jumpers of the past 15-20 years have been a bit darker shade of blue than the old nylon-acrylic knitted ones. I'd put that down as an assumption that the 'glossiness' of the shinier nylon-polyester material meant that they'd compensated for the extra bit of light reflecting off the material by going a touch darker.

Expect a brighter blue next year. Seems somewhat fitting, really!

Bulldog4life
13-11-2016, 04:15 PM

Agree. I have emailed ASICS about that too. Suggest others do too.

bornadog
13-11-2016, 05:38 PM

Under BLK there was also items with Grey.

Remi Moses
13-11-2016, 11:13 PM
The training / running shorts are excellent .
Light and not that sewed on emblem that BLK had .

Cyberdoggie
14-11-2016, 01:20 PM
Got my kids a new guernsey each today at the Kennel. Got them home and held them up against the BLK one.

It's a lot lighter than the BLK one. The blue, I mean. It had always struck me that the jumpers of the past 15-20 years have been a bit darker shade of blue than the old nylon-acrylic knitted ones. I'd put that down as an assumption that the 'glossiness' of the shinier nylon-polyester material meant that they'd compensated for the extra bit of light reflecting off the material by going a touch darker.

We have been doing this on and off over the years. I have various jumpers from over the years and after the 80's where we were a lighter blue, we moved to a darker blue with I think the fila jumpers, it went lighter again after that and more recently went a shade darker with BLK. I think our official colour 'royal blue' is the lighter shade.

Personally I like it a bit darker and thought the 2016 variant was spot on, but i'm not too fussed.

I just hope they take another stab at that clash Guernsey as it is awful.

Cyberdoggie
14-11-2016, 01:30 PM

We have been doing this on and off over the years. I have various jumpers from over the years and after the 80's where we were a lighter blue, we moved to a darker blue with I think the fila jumpers, it went lighter again after that and more recently went a shade darker with BLK. I think our official colour 'royal blue' is the lighter shade.

Personally I like it a bit darker and thought the 2016 variant was spot on, but i'm not too fussed.

I just hope they take another stab at that clash Guernsey as it is awful.

Ozza
14-11-2016, 02:32 PM
I preferred the darker blue...and at first questioned why we would change after a premiership year - but have since been told that this was a year in the making/decision made on the asics jumper some time ago.

Topdog
14-11-2016, 03:00 PM
Under BLK there was also items with Grey.

Yes this doesnt seem out of the ordinary. I have a ~10 year old Bulldogs jumper that is predominantly grey, those jackets last year with Footscray on the arms were grey. I still dont understand the big deal.

bornadog
14-11-2016, 03:25 PM
I preferred the darker blue...and at first questioned why we would change after a premiership year - but have since been told that this was a year in the making/decision made on the asics jumper some time ago.

I hate the lighter blue

Ozza
14-11-2016, 03:29 PM
I hate the lighter blue

I was at the club the other day - and the staff are all already wearing the lighter blue asics stuff. Looks a bit poxy to me, looks cheaper.

AndrewP6
14-11-2016, 08:57 PM
Yes this doesnt seem out of the ordinary. I have a ~10 year old Bulldogs jumper that is predominantly grey, those jackets last year with Footscray on the arms were grey. I still dont understand the big deal.

For mine, the fact it's on what I'd consider the first choice item. The other stuff you mention is in the range, but that polo is what many would go for first. That, and the fact that IMO it loooks dreadful.

Bulldog4life
14-11-2016, 10:55 PM

An email I received from Asics today.

Hi,

Thank you for your inquiry.

The Club designs and chooses the colours themselves.

Regards
Customer Service TEAM
ASICS Oceania Pty Ltd

bornadog
14-11-2016, 11:14 PM
An email I received from Asics today.

Hi,

Thank you for your inquiry.

The Club designs and chooses the colours themselves.

Regards
Customer Service TEAM
ASICS Oceania Pty Ltd

Well the club has chosen th wrong colours

Greystache
16-11-2016, 02:49 PM
The Bulldogs ahead of the game again

BLK Placed Into Administration (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/st-kilda/sports-apparel-company-blk-placed-into-administration-casting-doubt-on-deals-with-six-afl-clubs/news-story/3d8fcb341aad8027e23e77feb7857b9c)

Talk is we perceived this coming and went about signing an alternative sponsor ahead of the rush. If so well done to the club's leaders.

bulldogtragic
16-11-2016, 03:01 PM
The Bulldogs ahead of the game again

BLK Placed Into Administration (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/st-kilda/sports-apparel-company-blk-placed-into-administration-casting-doubt-on-deals-with-six-afl-clubs/news-story/3d8fcb341aad8027e23e77feb7857b9c)

Talk is we perceived this coming and went about signing an alternative sponsor ahead of the rush. If so well done to the club's leaders.

Any sponsorship money or services is a great result in light of this, especially considering 6 clubs may now actually lose out with their deals being worthless. Hopefully with the premiership we got a great deal with Asics. Great we avoided this quagmire and now even better off. As T&T said, hopefully everyone who paid for BLK stuff get what they paid for. I was holding off, so I'm not taking the risk now.

Ozza
16-11-2016, 03:26 PM
Any sponsorship money or services is a great result in light of this, especially considering 6 clubs may now actually lose out with their deals being worthless. Hopefully with the premiership we got a great deal with Asics. Great we avoided this quagmire and now even better off. As T&T said, hopefully everyone who paid for BLK stuff get what they paid for. I was holding off, so I'm not taking the risk now.

2nd hand info - but from what I understand - the Asics deal was struck a long time ago, and therefore the premiership would have been a bonus for Asics who were already on board.

bulldogtragic
16-11-2016, 04:13 PM
2nd hand info - but from what I understand - the Asics deal was struck a long time ago, and therefore the premiership would have been a bonus for Asics who were already on board.

Thanks. You'd hope we inserted a premiership bonus clause, since it was considerable odds against it happening. But not being stuck with 6 other clubs begging for an apparel sponsor is a good result.

Twodogs
16-11-2016, 06:19 PM

You'd think it would be a long time in the planning and negotiation so that makes sense. Hopefully though when the club finalised it's deal with BKL that it got all outstanding monies owing then and didn't take an IOU.

Webby
28-11-2016, 11:12 PM

Geez..... You're gonna hate the new training guernsey....! It's grey with a red and a blue stripe. Think Central Districts (SANFL)'s 1980s guernsey - but grey instead of white...

In better news, the away guernsey is simply the reverse of our home one again. No cartoon bulldog. Simply white with the red and the blue hoop.