PDA

View Full Version : Twitter trolls affected my footy: Cooney

dukedog
10-11-2016, 07:55 PM
Just read this piece. Now call me old fashioned. But Adam Cooney is a grown man. He says that he dreaded reading twitter posts after a game..... this guy is a brownlow medallist. In his prime he was elite. I personally think the guy was amazing. But. Hearing stuff like this makes me laugh. It makes no sense how in your later years it can affect you. If it hurts so bad. Delete twitter mate. The first 4 letters are TWIT. Who cares what anyone says on there. Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. Grow a pair Coons... wet paper bag mate.

bulldogtragic
10-11-2016, 08:04 PM
Read it too just now. You can be on Twitter with complete anonymity if you want to be a passive reader. Or if you don't want the trolls which every single known person gets, then delete your account or go anonymous with your handle. Caroline Wilson, Waleed Ali, Jon Stewart and many more (as well as a heap of footballers and elite sports people) don't have social media accounts. I don't get it. If Twitter causes you unhappiness or impacts your day job, then maybe don't go on it and spens your time investigating the account of every single derogatory tweet. And don't admit you do this publicly, because you'll get more trolls. Or maybe this is just another attempt to explain away two poor years at Essendon.

dukedog
10-11-2016, 08:28 PM
But BT. He is a grown man. He cant help it. Geez the human race is becoming stupider :D

LostDoggy
10-11-2016, 09:11 PM
Man, Cooney is really giving me the sh***s with his constant "poor me" attitude lately.

Not to undermine the effect it had on him, but if he couldn't deal with the attention and people commenting on his game each week, imagine how much more the high profile/ highly paid players like Tom Boyd and Buddy Franklin absolutely cop it.

Throughandthrough
10-11-2016, 09:25 PM
Supercars brag about how approachable and how you can access the drivers vs most other elite sports, drivers are all encouraged to have a large on line presence.

Did anyone see any of the tweets directed at some of the Supercars a few weeks ago? Fabian Coulthard got a tweet from someone hoping that he dies in a firey crash.

LostDoggy
10-11-2016, 09:25 PM
Hey Coons,
Nobody gives a shit.
Poor me,woe is me.
Pfftt.

bulldogtragic
10-11-2016, 09:41 PM
Supercars brag about how approachable and how you can access the drivers vs most other elite sports, drivers are all encouraged to have a large on line presence.

Did anyone see any of the tweets directed at some of the Supercars a few weeks ago? Fabian Coulthard got a tweet from someone hoping that he dies in a firey crash.

People are disgusting, but we know that about humans already. Cooney wouldn't sit in the opposition cheer squad before a game to hear the shit that would be said because it would be off putting. Blaming injury, OK, but then blaming over a couple of months Twitter, McCartney, Dogs, and so on. It's pretty monotonous. Worse, admitting he's a reverse stalker on social media makes his voluntarily active in the cycle of social media shit. Why even mention it? A part to deflect blame or accountability for his footy at Essendon?

Twodogs
10-11-2016, 09:43 PM
Man, Cooney is really giving me the sh***s with his constant "poor me" attitude lately.

Not to undermine the effect it had on him, but if he couldn't deal with the attention and people commenting on his game each week, imagine how much more the high profile/ highly paid players like Tom Boyd and Buddy Franklin absolutely cop it.

Cooney probably should have had some time away from footy. It seems like he's complaining about everything.

comrade
10-11-2016, 09:59 PM
Cooney probably should have had some time away from footy. It seems like he's complaining about everything.

Shame he has the ear of Jake Stringer big time.

bornadog
10-11-2016, 11:03 PM
I heard Cooney on SEN this afternoon and they were talking about players reading comments on Twitter and Facebook and basically Cooney was saying players shouldn't go on twitter and Facebook, especially after a loss.

A lot of Essendon supporters were constantly bagging him for his kicking and he said it started getting to him and he was thinking about it when playing a game and he thinks it effected him even more.

Twodogs
10-11-2016, 11:05 PM
Shame he has the ear of Jake Stringer big time.

Jake will be alright, he's a Bendigo boy.

Hotdog60
11-11-2016, 09:33 AM
What's Twitter and facebook????

;)

Mofra
11-11-2016, 10:48 AM
I think it's natural to have so much negative garbage directed at having the effect of weighing you down.

Tom Boyd has probably copped it worse than anyone in the competition over the past two years - fortunately he shut most of them up in the Grand Final.

1eyedog
11-11-2016, 10:59 AM
Cooney has turned into a right twitter since he retired.

Twodogs
11-11-2016, 11:43 AM
I think it's natural to have so much negative garbage directed at having the effect of weighing you down.

Tom Boyd has probably copped it worse than anyone in the competition over the past two years - fortunately he shut most of them up in the Grand Final.

Yep. Tom grabbed every person who has criticised him (and us for recruiting him) by the shoulders and flushed their head down the toilet on grand final day.

Cooney has turned into a right twitter since he retired.

He was always a bit of a Twitter. His football ability blinded us to it but he hasn't changed much. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just a thing.

comrade
11-11-2016, 11:57 AM
Jake will be alright, he's a Bendigo boy.

I hope so.

Given Cooney's well known fondness for the almighty dollar and his post-retirement penchant for whinging about the trials of being a pro footballer, I hope Stringer has some better, more grounded advisors around him.

Webby
11-11-2016, 01:20 PM
This is all a bit of a beat up. Cooney's on SEN and it comes up as a conversation piece. To be honest, it would be pretty deflating to have your own supporters canning you. Nonetheless, it's the same for all of them. Thick skin and all that..!

However, I was living in the UK during the David Beckham: public enemy number 1 period. I don't think I've ever seen anyone cop the level of persistent abuse that that guy copped for a four year period.

His response was to stick to his task, pull his inner-sanctum around him, and play through it. He did it so stunningly that, on the other side, the result was that he became a virtual national hero. He turned it 180 degrees and some.

People actually respect a person taking their worst and turning it around. The result was that, due to him riding it all out, people actually came to admire him MORE on the other side of it than they'd otherwise have done.

"You took our best shots and proved us wrong. Fair play to you."

Seriously, I attended a lot of United games in the early '00's and what he copped was unbelievable. I recall Villa Park in 2001 being just incredibly intimidating for him.

Anyway, I can't help but feel Tom Boyd is now getting the same kind of acknowledgement. He's earned a lot of admiration. Not just because he's proven he can play, but because he showed a lot of ticker to come out the other side. Particularly for a young bloke.

So, show some heart and guts and people will acknowledge it. Sook about it, lick your wrist and go into your shell and people will discard you.

Finally, however: Beckham and Boyd were both at good clubs with a good, supportive culture....

...... Cooney was at Essendon. A club with a larger than normal core of very scummy, entitled supporters.. Even when they're going well. So I can only imagine what Cooney copped from their core of morons...

... Nonetheless, Coons, you chose to go there... Not only that, but did so whilst spruiking the virtues of playing for a "big club in front of big crowds on big occasions" (ironically, it turns out, but also slightly insultingly at the time..!!) so...!

Remi Moses
11-11-2016, 02:40 PM
Good thing social media didn't exist after the 98 World Cup for Beckham.
The abuse at games was bordering on phsycopathic, and added in he played for United for good measure
Mark Stevens cops a lot of flak in that he tweets about our club often .
I've had robust discussion saying if you don't like what he tweets, don't frigging follow !
Some of the stuff Boyd got was bordering on childish, and great to see the karma bus bowl over those morons

bornadog
11-11-2016, 04:04 PM
During the grand final, I sat next to this woman who just gave me the shits. Everytime the ball came down to the forward line she abused Stringer, even if he was nowhere near it. Seriously, it's a GF, he is not superman, why abuse the players.

The best thing was she started abusing him again midway through the last, not badly, just saying Oh bloody Stringer where is he ..... next thing he kicks a goal, and I yelled out THERE HE IS.

Ozza
11-11-2016, 05:08 PM
Pretty surprising the lack of empathy on here.

As Webby said - it came up on SEN and he has spoken about it - and gone as far as to say that he recommends that players DON'T have social media accounts.

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram - these are all things that have come into the game during the time Coons has been in the game - and like anything new of this nature, people make mistakes with it. I don't think he is whinging, or being a 'twit' - highlighting something that got him down, and saying he'd have done it differently if he had his time again. It also highlights the new-ish ground players are facing where the general public have this direct online access to players where they can fairly anonymously slander them.

Twodogs
11-11-2016, 05:50 PM
During the grand final, I sat next to this woman who just gave me the shits. Everytime the ball came down to the forward line she abused Stringer, even if he was nowhere near it. Seriously, it's a GF, he is not superman, why abuse the players.

The best thing was she started abusing him again midway through the last, not badly, just saying Oh bloody Stringer where is he ..... next thing he kicks a goal, and I yelled out THERE HE IS.

Love it. You took your chance when it came.

comrade
11-11-2016, 07:49 PM

As Webby said - it came up on SEN and he has spoken about it - and gone as far as to say that he recommends that players DON'T have social media accounts.

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram - these are all things that have come into the game during the time Coons has been in the game - and like anything new of this nature, people make mistakes with it. I don't think he is whinging, or being a 'twit' - highlighting something that got him down, and saying he'd have done it differently if he had his time again. It also highlights the new-ish ground players are facing where the general public have this direct online access to players where they can fairly anonymously slander them.

I think slander is a bit far.

Knocking a professional footballer for not executing a skill he gets paid very well to do isn't slander, it's part and parcel of the game.

Social media has just made it easier to access for players who are silly enough to take notice.

G-Mo77
11-11-2016, 09:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOFn8dWc1_g

G-Mo77
11-11-2016, 10:18 PM
A few players from the Hawks did this during the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpnrOOMmT8I

Twodogs
11-11-2016, 11:31 PM
A few players from the Hawks did this during the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpnrOOMmT8I

That's pretty effective.

Bulldog4life
12-11-2016, 12:08 PM

Maybe their wives too.

The Pie Man
21-11-2016, 02:44 PM
I heard a bit of the SEN discussion at the time and didn't think too much of it (other than it was mainly Essendon fans that directed stuff his way)

I've been opinionated on twitter (including about Adam) but I'd never direct this @ anyone (I got blocked by Francis Leach after quoting a tweet of his about Tom Boyd and calling him something not nice in said quote - but it wasn't @ him)

There is something a little off....for lack of a better phrase....about Cooney complaining/highlighting this sort of thing, while appearing to be one of the more sarcastic people around - e.g his joke about Minson putting everyone to sleep at the AFLPA awards...thought it was unnecessary. Guess I'm not a fan is what I'm getting at

comrade
21-11-2016, 04:26 PM
I heard a bit of the SEN discussion at the time and didn't think too much of it (other than it was mainly Essendon fans that directed stuff his way)

I've been opinionated on twitter (including about Adam) but I'd never direct this @ anyone (I got blocked by Francis Leach after quoting a tweet of his about Tom Boyd and calling him something not nice in said quote - but it wasn't @ him)

There is something a little off....for lack of a better phrase....about Cooney complaining/highlighting this sort of thing, while appearing to be one of the more sarcastic people around - e.g his joke about Minson putting everyone to sleep at the AFLPA awards...thought it was unnecessary. Guess I'm not a fan is what I'm getting at

Haha, I got blocked by Leach for calling him out after he criticised the Dogs about our injuries (he said something like we'll be asking for a day of mourning after Libba went down v Geelong).

Absolute plonk of a bloke, and besides that, I never understand why media types block people who don't agree with them. It's their job to generate interest and stir up some debate. Embrace it, don't hide like a thin skinned coward. Barrett and Leach are notorious for it.

Also, good call on Cooney. He's pretty hypocritical in general, IMO. Happy to **** stir but doesn't like it coming the other way. Also has lamented the lack of loyalty from clubs but was well known as one of the more self interested footballers going around.

The Pie Man
21-11-2016, 05:05 PM
Haha, I got blocked by Leach for calling him out after he criticised the Dogs about our injuries (he said something like we'll be asking for a day of mourning after Libba went down v Geelong).

Absolute plonk of a bloke, and besides that, I never understand why media types block people who don't agree with them. It's their job to generate interest and stir up some debate. Embrace it, don't hide like a thin skinned coward. Barrett and Leach are notorious for it.

Also, good call on Cooney. He's pretty hypocritical in general, IMO. Happy to **** stir but doesn't like it coming the other way. Also has lamented the lack of loyalty from clubs but was well known as one of the more self interested footballers going around.

That's about the only tweet about that game he left on his TL...he clearly went on a Dogs blocking spree that night (I wasn't even following him, he was re-tweeted into my feed) *

Good luck to Coons, but yeah that's the vibe I get from him.

* It's actually been nice to reflect on that night - how the hell did we win the flag after losing to Geelong that night? Staggering

hujsh
21-11-2016, 05:39 PM
Cooney's fine. Headline does him a disservice on a topic people have little sympathy for (rightly or wrongly).

GVGjr
21-11-2016, 07:25 PM

I think I see about 3 references a week to people being blocked by Francis Leach. For a guy who's essentially a dismissive smart arse on twitter to anyone who has a different view to him he seems to think blocking the people who call him out stops the all the conversation and clearly it doesn't.

There needs to be a day on SEN breakfast show where every 2nd callers says Hi Frank, you blocked me from twitter before they say anything else. Could you imagine his hissy fit. I listened to him today for the first time in about a month and he made 3 cracks at the Ox about his weight. I'd suggest that if someone was making wise about his follically-challenged noggin he'd nip it in the bud straight away. Princess Frank used to be a good sports presenter but he's far from that now.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
21-11-2016, 07:29 PM
He's a Saints supporter some of them are very bitter that we won the flag

comrade
21-11-2016, 07:43 PM
He's a Saints supporter some of them are very bitter that we won the flag

That's what it all boils down to. During the year he was salty about our rise and prominent media focus. The bitterness he must be feeling after we won it all must be at all time high levels.

bulldogtragic
21-11-2016, 07:52 PM
That's what it all boils down to. During the year he was salty about our rise and prominent media focus. The bitterness he must be feeling after we won it all must be at all time high levels.

I don't know all that much about him. I've seen him on Offsiders know and then and he seems dull, uninsightful and someone who when he takes I tune out of and wait for the actual journos/sports commentators to start talking. Last time I saw him talk about Cronulla for a minute only for Roy Masters to tell him he was wrong about everything he said. What's his attraction to the masses?

LostDoggy
21-11-2016, 10:00 PM
he's a saints supporter some of them are very bitter that we won the flag

mwahahahahahaha!!!!!! ;););)
suck it up princesses!!!;););)

LostDoggy
22-11-2016, 03:04 AM
I think it would turn even the most optimistic person into the darker side of life if you didn't have any dry gunpowder to fire back with left. There would be nothing worse than to know what your footy brain is telling you but the body can't respond the way it used too.

Champion cruelly cut down before his Prime and then in the end he has to put up with crap from people that wouldn't even be able to tie his shoes.

He really should stay off Social Media but!

Twodogs
22-11-2016, 05:57 PM
Poor old franger and his St Kilda mates. They are spitting chips that we won a flag. Now they can't look down their noses at us over the prelim finals they beat us in. They had currency over us and now they have nothing. They are just another pack of losers we get to show patience with.

Back in 2009 and 2010 when Saints were in those GFs Frank was doing afternoons on SEN and both Grand a Final weeks he was almost hysterical reacting aggressively toward callers who rang and questioned anything to do with St Kilda generally and getting into arguments about Ross Lyon in particular. It was pretty funny. I've got no idea why SEN management let him go to air the second year St Kilda made the GF because he clearly didn't handle the year before at all well.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
22-11-2016, 07:50 PM
He was practically inviting callers into the carpark so of course everyone calling was stirring him up it was pretty funny

Twodogs
22-11-2016, 09:56 PM
It was a bit funny listening to Frank calling the City game with Damien Lovelock as his special comments guy the other night on SEN. I half expected them to have a little Celibate Rifles singalong at some stage.

1eyedog
24-11-2016, 09:20 AM
I don't know all that much about him. I've seen him on Offsiders know and then and he seems dull, uninsightful and someone who when he takes I tune out of and wait for the actual journos/sports commentators to start talking. Last time I saw him talk about Cronulla for a minute only for Roy Masters to tell him he was wrong about everything he said. What's his attraction to the masses?

Controversy and an opinion with a point of difference for the sake of it. Sort of the same reason people read Andrew Bolt, or Grant Thomas.

Topdog
24-11-2016, 11:06 AM
Controversy and an opinion with a point of difference for the sake of it. Sort of the same reason people read Andrew Bolt, or Grant Thomas.

Thomas is an interesting one. When he isn't trying to be controversial he has some great insights.

Greystache
24-11-2016, 11:18 AM
Thomas is an interesting one. When he isn't trying to be controversial he has some great insights.

Most of the types that don't operate exclusively in the accepted group think do. They're also the ones that cop the most criticism or are shouted down and labelled, which is why most of the weak willed/thin skin types just churn out pointless popular opinion pieces. I'd much rather read 5 Grant Thomas pieces to find something actually insightful than read 100 Ralph/Slobbo/Stevo/Clark type waffle. Same goes for things other than sport.

comrade
24-11-2016, 11:27 AM
Most of the types that don't operate exclusively in the accepted group think do. They're also the ones that cop the most criticism or are shouted down and labelled, which is why most of the weak willed/thin skin types just churn out pointless popular opinion pieces. I'd much rather read 5 Grant Thomas pieces to find something actually insightful than read 100 Ralph/Slobbo/Stevo/Clark type waffle. Same goes for things other than sport.

Thommo can fly off the handle but I respect anyone who is prepared to call out the AFL when they try and sweep things under their increasingly cluttered rug. He's also receptive on social media and is prepared to have a discourse, rather than Insta-block like some of his thin skinned footy media colleagues.

hujsh
24-11-2016, 12:50 PM

Hey, he's willing to go against the grain. Didn't you see him defending Essendon all these years? A true contrarian.