PDA

View Full Version : Ok, When should I take the Flags down and scarf from my car?

bornadog
11-11-2016, 10:39 AM
Just kidding about the flags, but have seen many cars with two flags on the back.

I have my scarf lying across the back window of my car and is clearly visible to all to see.

Do I keep it there? What have you still got flying around in public.

Mofra
11-11-2016, 10:46 AM
I have my scarf lying across the back window of my car and is clearly visible to all to see.

I'd say about 2037 or whenever you upgrade your car - don't want to overdo it :D

1eyedog
11-11-2016, 11:01 AM
Just kidding about the flags, but have seen many cars with two flags on the back.

We've got that 180cm x 90cm premiers flag attached to the front of the house. My wife said when are we taking that down footy season is over and I said I'll replace it with the 2017 one.

That's where I'm at.

Twodogs
11-11-2016, 11:34 AM
Yep all the streamers and bunting and posters are still at the front of my house, scarfe is still along the front dashboard (FRONT WINDOW BAD!!!!;)) of my car. It took me 52 years to get a premiership. I will stop celebrating this one in 52 years time and take the bunting down then.

As I was pulling into my unit today a woman was standing outside looking in the letterbox and she had a bulldog on a lead. It looked much bigger than most Bulldogs I have seen so I asked her if it was a bulldog or a boxer. She said it was an Australian bulldog. I said "it's the year of the Bulldogs" and she said 'huh?" so I waved my scarf at her and she said "oh, those bulldogs!"

Bulldog4life
11-11-2016, 12:55 PM
My wife has a Vintage shop in Rosebud. Still has the scarf and flag at eye height behind the counter. She still gets lots of favourable comments every week about the doggies. Will be there till there till the start of next season.

Webby
11-11-2016, 12:58 PM
Decision was made for me... The flag towards the front of my garden was nicked by someone!
Hopefully by a Dogs fan, at least!!

dadsgirl16
11-11-2016, 01:03 PM
I have my desk at worked adorned and was wondering the same thing..when do I stop basking in the glory and take it all down?

AndrewP6
11-11-2016, 02:02 PM
I have laminated the newspaper pages I have up at home . Two in the window, more inside the house. At work out the front of my classroom is decorated with more newspaper clippings. I'm not taking them down any time soon.

Twodogs
11-11-2016, 03:28 PM
Did you trim the pages you laminated or the bigger the better?

SonofScray
11-11-2016, 03:32 PM
I have taken down most of the stuff I had out at home. I've left my beanie on the Captain America fruit bowl I own and my scarf is on the back seat of the car instead of flying out the window. My replica Premiership Cup will go on the buffet in the lounge room for all time.

bulldogsthru&thru
11-11-2016, 03:38 PM
Can someone pinch me that we are having this dilemma? :-)

I'm still amazed by what we did. Just heard ACDC long way to the top on the radio and all the memories flooded back to that special day. Had a tear in my eye. Still in shock over here 2 months later.

I would say start of the new season to take premiership stuff down. Anything bulldogs related that isn't premiership specific can stay wherever it is forever :-)

bornadog
11-11-2016, 03:54 PM

I'm still amazed by what we did. Just heard ACDC long way to the top on the radio and all the memories flooded back to that special day. Had a tear in my eye. Still in shock over here 2 months later.

I would say start of the new season to take premiership stuff down. Anything bulldogs related that isn't premiership specific can stay wherever it is forever :-)

I am in shock as well and still have to pinch myself to check if we really did win the flag.

My wife never watches any of the replays and doesn't go to games, but listens to the footy on the radio while she is pottering around, however, since the grand final, the most amazing thing is she wants me to replay the match almost every night - well at least a quarter:). I am happy to oblige :D. She says she loves the shear emotions of the players, supporters, coaches etc.

Greystache
11-11-2016, 04:04 PM
I had a scarf hanging on my Verandah out the front, I put it up after the WCE win and left it up until November 1 as it was then more than a month since we won. There's a house in Yarraville with a massive flag pole hanging off their second story, they'd been flying a Bulldogs flag since Grand Final week but it hasn't been up this week. I'm hoping they keep it up over the summer and that they just haven't been home this week. It is a HUGE flag.

I walked down to ground level for the lap of honour with the cup, when I got to standing level the Foo Fighters song The Best of You was playing. Everytime I hear that song now I think of winning the premiership.

AndrewP6
11-11-2016, 04:58 PM
Did you trim the pages you laminated or the bigger the better?

Trimmed a couple to fit in A3 size laminating sheets, mainly ads and white borders. Have some full page and Double page posters, going to take them to OfficeWorks to see if they can laminate larger sizes.

Scraggers
11-11-2016, 05:27 PM

I had a scarf hanging on my Verandah out the front, I put it up after the WCE win and left it up until November 1 as it was then more than a month since we won. There's a house in Yarraville with a massive flag pole hanging off their second story, they'd been flying a Bulldogs flag since Grand Final week but it hasn't been up this week. I'm hoping they keep it up over the summer and that they just haven't been home this week. It is a HUGE flag.

I walked down to ground level for the lap of honour with the cup, when I got to standing level the Foo Fighters song The Best of You was playing. Everytime I hear that song now I think of winning the premiership.

Can we list all the songs that played? I think a Spotify Playlist is in order !!! :cool:

Twodogs
11-11-2016, 05:56 PM
I remember Foo Fighters. I reckon they played that before the game as well. I wasn't really concentrating on the soundtrack right then.

Greystache
11-11-2016, 07:41 PM
I remember Foo Fighters. I reckon they played that before the game as well. I wasn't really concentrating on the soundtrack right then.

I was sitting there when Sting played and I don't even recall him being on the arena.

Twodogs
11-11-2016, 08:43 PM
I was sitting there when Sting played and I don't even recall him being on the arena.

Sting was there?

AndrewP6
11-11-2016, 09:04 PM

I was in the drinks queue, perving on... er, sorry, I mean admiring the beauty of Jake Stringer's better half, Abbey. Missed most of the pregame stuff.

LostDoggy
11-11-2016, 09:06 PM
The Best Thing-Boom Crash Opera as the boys did a victory lap around the 'G.

LostDoggy
11-11-2016, 09:15 PM

I've got 2 Bulldogs scarves hanging out of each back window of my car.
I'm not even thinking about taken them out ever.;)

Twodogs
11-11-2016, 10:22 PM
The Best Thing-Boom Crash Opera as the boys did a victory lap around the 'G.

I missed that. What song was it?

I had some a big night with Dale Ryder years ago.

Topdog
11-11-2016, 10:24 PM
Saw a bloke in a wheelchair this morning with huge Bulldogs flag hanging off the back. Made me smile again.

always right
11-11-2016, 11:08 PM
Flag still sticking out of a planter basket in the driveway. Another one hanging from the front verandah. Streamers, hats and flags still up in the living room. I've been told it comes down when we lose our next match.....that could be 2020!

Daughter now putting together a digital photo book for our family.......80 pages of photos taken during the finals series by the media as well as family shots, commentary from family members, etc. should be a great keepsake. We've done them for overseas holidays but this will be a bit special. I'll post an image of the book when it's complete.

Twodogs
11-11-2016, 11:29 PM
Flag still sticking out of a planter basket in the driveway. Another one hanging from the front verandah. Streamers, hats and flags still up in the living room. I've been told it comes down when we lose our next match.....that could be 2020!

Daughter now putting together a digital photo book for our family.......80 pages of photos taken during the finals series by the media as well as family shots, commentary from family members, etc. should be a great keepsake. We've done them for overseas holidays but this will be a bit special. I'll post an image of the book when it's complete.

That sounds pretty excellent.

AndrewP6
12-11-2016, 12:34 AM
I missed that. What song was it?

I had some a big night with Dale Ryder years ago.

"The Best Thing"

SonofScray
12-11-2016, 01:40 AM
Can we list all the songs that played? I think a Spotify Playlist is in order !!! :cool:

Born to Run playing pre game really kick started my energy levels.

Remi Moses
12-11-2016, 11:27 AM
I think the "Best of you" from the foo fighters . Could have done with "We are the champions" Queen

bulldogsthru&thru
12-11-2016, 12:14 PM
The new living end song (played at half time) reminds me of the day too

Twodogs
12-11-2016, 01:29 PM
I think the "Best of you" from the foo fighters . Could have done with "We are the champions" Queen

I would have liked Saturday Night Palsy by TISM.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
12-11-2016, 01:30 PM
Time by Pink Floyd just before the first bounce

Eastdog
13-11-2016, 04:20 PM
Been really good seeing quite a few Bulldog premiers stickers on cars when I've been out and about.

Twodogs
13-11-2016, 06:51 PM
Been really good seeing quite a few Bulldog premiers stickers on cars when I've been out and about.

You must be spotting a lot more stickers and stuff lately Easty?

Danny the snakeman
13-11-2016, 07:07 PM
Take the flag down? after seeing the big flag at the AFL shop im thinking of getting a flag pole at my house to fly it from :p

Eastdog
13-11-2016, 09:06 PM
You must be spotting a lot more stickers and stuff lately Easty?

Yes I certainly have TD.

Twodogs
13-11-2016, 09:51 PM
Yes I certainly have TD.

I didn't know there were so many bulldog supporters.

Eastdog
13-11-2016, 10:04 PM
I didn't know there were so many bulldog supporters.

I believe we have more out there than we may have first thought.

BulldogBelle
13-11-2016, 10:36 PM

Mate of mine makes balloon toys at local pubs and kids parties. He is a Tigers man and said to me the other day he has been blown away by the amount of kids that have said they are Bulldogs supporters in the last 4 to 5 weeks.

Remi Moses
13-11-2016, 11:15 PM
I think after 62 years of trauma we are allowed to leave everything out as long as we bloody well like

Twodogs
13-11-2016, 11:17 PM

Mate of mine makes balloon toys at local pubs and kids parties. He is a Tigers man and said to me the other day he has been blown away by the amount of kids that have said they are Bulldogs supporters in the last 4 to 5 weeks.

If we parlay this premiership properly and connect the success of club with the Western area in particular and Melbourne in general it could set our club up for a huge boost in support and membership. Kids saying they are bulldog supporters is encouraging but we want mum and dads membership money as well.

It's always been a bit hard trying to appeal to people when you've had no success but I've always thought if we can offer the chance at a premiership and it's not just empty words then people will get aboard. We could be a really big club with if people in the outer west really involved. If we could convert areas like Werribee and Melton and St Abans to being bulldog towns.

All those people at the parade and the premiership celebration couldn't all have been members.

LostDoggy
14-11-2016, 08:36 AM
If we parlay this premiership properly and connect the success of club with the Western area in particular and Melbourne in general it could set our club up for a huge boost in support and membership. Kids saying they are bulldog supporters is encouraging but we want mum and dads membership money as well.

It's always been a bit hard trying to appeal to people when you've had no success but I've always thought if we can offer the chance at a premiership and it's not just empty words then people will get aboard. We could be a really big club with if people in the outer west really involved. If we could convert areas like Werribee and Melton and St Abans to being bulldog towns.

All those people at the parade and the premiership celebration couldn't all have been members.

Don't forget the Ballarat and Western Victoria regions, the timing couldn't be better regarding our push into his area.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-12-2016, 02:34 PM
Here's an indicator of how powerful the premiership has been

The Best Thing-Boom Crash Opera

I absolutely hated this song. Like hated it. With a passion. It's as though Gillon and Channel 7 receive royalties every time it's played. And it's not just the repetitiveness of hearing it any time something football related is occurring, it's also just a terrible song.

HOWEVER, i think it was the first song played after the cup ceremony, and upon hearing it, with a euphoric sense of elation, relief and achievement, it just seemed fitting. So now i look at the song differently.

So now that time has passed i can say these songs remind me of that day the most:

Best of You - Foo Fighters
Long way to the top - ACDC
Keep on running - The Living End

BornInDroopSt'54
14-12-2016, 02:52 PM
Fly the flag, figuratively or factually, forever for f__c_s sake.(Footscray's too)

LostDoggy
14-12-2016, 10:53 PM
Here's an indicator of how powerful the premiership has been

I absolutely hated this song. Like hated it. With a passion. It's as though Gillon and Channel 7 receive royalties every time it's played. And it's not just the repetitiveness of hearing it any time something football related is occurring, it's also just a terrible song.

HOWEVER, i think it was the first song played after the cup ceremony, and upon hearing it, with a euphoric sense of elation, relief and achievement, it just seemed fitting. So now i look at the song differently.

So now that time has passed i can say these songs remind me of that day the most:

Best of You - Foo Fighters
Long way to the top - ACDC
Keep on running - The Living End

Today-Smashing Pumpkins :)

bulldogsthru&thru
15-12-2016, 09:44 AM

Was that played on the day?

LostDoggy
15-12-2016, 10:29 PM
Was that played on the day?

Not sure if it was at the 'G,but on my way home later that night it got a fearful thrashing!! ;)

LostDoggy
16-12-2016, 08:52 AM

Great choice redders.

"Today is the greatest day I've ever known. Can't live for tomorrow, tomorrow's much too long...."

merantau
19-12-2016, 11:03 PM
There was an air of confidence among West Coast fans as they filed into the ground, but some were heading for the exits just 10 minutes into the final quarter as their dreams were dashed."

That's so SAD.

LostDoggy
19-12-2016, 11:05 PM
There was an air of confidence among West Coast fans as they filed into the ground, but some were heading for the exits just 10 minutes into the final quarter as their dreams were dashed."

That's so SAD.

But felt oh so good!! ;)

Danny the snakeman
20-12-2016, 03:49 PM
But felt oh so good!! ;)

Was a great sight seeing the ground get emptier every goal we kicked. I had great pleasure in directing eagle supporters to the exit.

bornadog
09-01-2017, 03:04 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1igDD5UAAACQkt.jpg:large

merantau
10-01-2017, 03:45 PM
I'm seeing lots of cars with "Bulldogs 2016 Premiers" stickers. I'm getting lots of waves and toots as well. "There's never been a better time to be a Bulldog."

Twodogs
10-01-2017, 05:07 PM
I'm seeing lots of cars with "Bulldogs 2016 Premiers" stickers. I'm getting lots of waves and toots as well. "There's never been a better time to be a Bulldog."

That's our club slogan for next year!

Err this year. 2017 slogan.

Murphy'sLore
13-01-2017, 01:54 PM
Spent a couple of days at Sorrento and even saw stickers on cars there!

Also ran into Peter Gordon in the street and Mitch Wallis a couple of doors down. Great time to be wearing Bulldogs gear!

LostDoggy
13-01-2017, 05:49 PM
Spent last week with the family at Tootgarook.
Must have seen at least a dozen cars down there with the Premiers bumper stickers on.;)
Did NOT see 1 Dawks premiers sticker.

Eastdog
13-01-2017, 08:05 PM
Must have seen at least a dozen cars down there with the Premiers bumper stickers on.;)

Excellent :)

LostDoggy
13-01-2017, 09:54 PM
I had to run across a very busy 4 lane road so I waited for a little break in traffic and when I got halfway all I heard was yelling out the window from the next car. Acknowledging it was pretty silly I put the hand up for sorry and got over. I looked back and saw the car doing a uturn, I kept walking and looked when it approached only to see the couple yelling BULLDOGS I laughed and did the Hewitt....I'd forgot I had my jumper on.

LostDoggy
14-01-2017, 12:19 PM
I had to run across a very busy 4 lane road so I waited for a little break in traffic and when I got halfway all I heard was yelling out the window from the next car. Acknowledging it was pretty silly I put the hand up for sorry and got over. I looked back and saw the car doing a uturn, I kept walking and looked when it approached only to see the couple yelling BULLDOGS I laughed and did the Hewitt....I'd forgot I had my jumper on.

Love It!!! ;)

Bulldog4life
14-01-2017, 06:10 PM

Lot of doggie supporters down here Redders. In my wife's shop there are always people coming in and saying they follow the dogs constantly. She still has the doggies flag up behind the counter. Even had Steven King's mother in law in the other day. She was still very excited.

Murphy'sLore
14-01-2017, 06:36 PM
There is a whole cafe in Castlemaine decked out in Dogs colours, posters and photos too - very cool.

Twodogs
14-01-2017, 07:42 PM
There is a whole cafe in Castlemaine decked out in Dogs colours, posters and photos too - very cool.

Really? Which one? What street?

Murphy'sLore
14-01-2017, 09:13 PM
I think it's called Saffs? In Mostyn st, opposite the big bookshop.

This was before Christmas though, they may be over it by now :)

Twodogs
14-01-2017, 09:32 PM
I think it's called Saffs? In Mostyn st, opposite the big bookshop.

This was before Christmas though, they may be over it by now :)

I was curious to know. This site has a deep affection for Castlemaine.

Bulldog4life
15-01-2017, 11:24 AM
I was curious to know. This site has a deep affection for Castlemaine.

Because of Loddon Prison?:o

GVGjr
15-01-2017, 11:35 AM
Because of Loddon Prison?:o

I lived in Castlemaine for a few years and I think Twodogs used to visit relatives in Norwood Hill in his younger days.

I lived in a pub for 2 years and even on a property right next to the Farady school where the infamous kidnappings occurred.
I can't recall too many Footscray supporters when I lived there.

As for the Prison, I can recall going to the Castlemaine courthouse for school and one of the judges there was famous for telling the younger first time offenders to bring a toothbrush with them the next time they appeared as they would then be a guest of the big house.

Twodogs
15-01-2017, 01:28 PM
I lived in Castlemaine for a few years and I think Twodogs used to visit relatives in Norwood Hill in his younger days.

I lived in a pub for 2 years and even on a property right next to the Farady school where the infamous kidnappings occurred.

As for the Prison, I can recall going to the Castlemaine courthouse for school and one of the judges there was famous for telling the younger first time offenders to bring a toothbrush with them the next time they appeared as they would then be a guest of the big house.

My parents had a weekender at the top of Hunter st-an old mining cottage-set on two acres with the national park next door. We spent most weekends up there (when there was no Footscray game on) for about ten years. Awesome stuff, yabbying in the dams, caddying for the golfers, seeing how far into the national park we could walk before the bush got too think to keep going, hustilng pool at the Cumberland Hotel for raspberry lemonades, collecting drink bottles and cashing them in at the Northen milk bar, trying to sneak into Buda without the old lady who lived there seeing us, the Chinese market, Stoneman's shop, the Theate Royale (first and only place I have seen a Star Wars movie) the swimming pool (right next to the nurses' quarters from the hospital;)), enough space for proper scratch cricket and footy matches, we even excavated an old mine shaft on our property and found an old bottle that was worth $500 in the late 70s.

I loved Castlemaine! And most of my dad's side come from Bendigo so one set of Grannos lived up there-and in Footscray-they liked to move every couple of years.

KT31
15-01-2017, 01:48 PM

My parents had a weekender at the top of Hunter st-an old mining cottage-set on two acres with the national park next door. We spent most weekends up there (when there was no Footscray game on) for about ten years. Awesome stuff, yabbying in the dams, caddying for the golfers, seeing how far into the national park we could walk before the bush got too think to keep going, hustilng pool at the Cumberland Hotel for raspberry lemonades, collecting drink bottles and cashing them in at the Northen milk bar, trying to sneak into Buda without the old lady who lived there seeing us, the Chinese market, Stoneman's shop, the Theate Royale (first and only place I have seen a Star Wars movie) the swimming pool (right next to the nurses' quarters from the hospital;)), enough space for proper scratch cricket and footy matches, we even excavated an old mine shaft on our property and found an old bottle that was worth $500 in the late 70s.

I loved Castlemaine! And most of my dad's side come from Bendigo so one set of Grannos lived up there-and in Footscray-they liked to move every couple of years.

When I was a tad younger, (at Tech and apprenticeship years) any chance we got a few mates and myself used to love camping at Baringhup.
Loved it, lots of great memories.