PDA

View Full Version : Heritier Lumumba could take legal action over concussion treatment.

KT31
24-11-2016, 02:10 PM
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/heritier-lumumba-set-to-retire-could-take-legal-action-over-concussion-treatment-20161123-gsw1ul.html

Twodogs
24-11-2016, 02:14 PM
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/heritier-lumumba-set-to-retire-could-take-legal-action-over-concussion-treatment-20161123-gsw1ul.html

I'm glad we didn't.

hujsh
24-11-2016, 03:10 PM
May have had a point about how his concussion was managed but claiming his performance was impacted by the death of Ali was... curious.

Twodogs
24-11-2016, 04:36 PM
May have had a point about how his concussion was managed but claiming his performance was impacted by the death of Ali was... curious.

KB mentioned that this morning. Or his Offsider. One of them . It was an odd thing to say.

hujsh
24-11-2016, 05:05 PM
KB mentioned that this morning. Or his Offsider. One of them . It was an odd thing to say.

And it only serves to undermine his case publicly (unless they plan to use it as evidence that he's been damaged by his concussions or something)

Greystache
24-11-2016, 05:14 PM
I've always said he reminds me of an old timey rock star. Thick as shit but believes he possesses some insight that only he is capable of seeing, then surrounds himself with yes men that feed and enable his delusion.

The result is... well pretty much everything we've seen from him over the years

Topdog
24-11-2016, 05:15 PM
I've always said he reminds me of an old timey rock star. Thick as shit but believes he possesses some insight that only he is capable of seeing, then surrounds himself with yes men that feed and enable his delusion.

But rock stars are actually popular.

bulldogtragic
24-11-2016, 06:07 PM
Just when Melbourne were getting over the initial walk out and then trade request from Mitch Clarke (and paying him over $4,000,000 in his bugger all games there), and then with his delisting thinking that maybe this Clarke/HL trade wasn't the worst trade in history of the game. Think again.

Twodogs
24-11-2016, 06:07 PM

What you're saying is he will die on the toilet eating his 10pm triple cheeseburger?

But rock stars are actually popular.

And make a lot more sense than Heretia Lumumba.

ratsmac
24-11-2016, 06:49 PM
Harry O has been concussed for quite some time now!

The Bulldogs Bite
24-11-2016, 08:53 PM
Harry, meet Kanye.

Kanye, meet Harry.

Sit back and enjoy.

LostDoggy
24-11-2016, 10:27 PM

Why?
Did he know him personaly or spiritually?

Twodogs
24-11-2016, 10:32 PM
Harry, meet Kanye.

Kanye, meet Harry.

Sit back and enjoy.

Harry Kanye. Doesn't he play for Tottenham?

Why?

They were both such great sportsmen and cultural icons and both changed their names at the peak if their careers. Heretia feels a natural affinity for Ali. I'm suprised the family didn't ask him to read the eulogy at the funeral.

ratsmac
24-11-2016, 10:42 PM
Melbourne's defence just have to replay his farewell speech at the Collingwood best and fairest a couple years ago and say he was damaged before we got him.

“Collingwood has allowed me to define my character and also to find the true meaning of my true name ... which means the prince, the one who will have the last laugh, and (who) is gifted,” Lumumba said.

The defence rests!

hujsh
24-11-2016, 10:46 PM
Why?
He proably looked up to and admired him. But there are guys like Florent playing after the death of a close family member which I imagine is just a bit more devastating

Twodogs
24-11-2016, 11:03 PM
Melbourne's defence just have to replay his farewell speech at the Collingwood best and fairest a couple years ago and say he was damaged before we got him.

“Collingwood has allowed me to define my character and also to find the true meaning of my true name ... which means the prince, the one who will have the last laugh, and (who) is gifted,” Lumumba said.

The defence rests!

To be fair he was talking about that Harry O'Brien bloke.

Greystache
24-11-2016, 11:28 PM
Why?

No. Never met him or ever spoke to him. And Ali retired before he was born. And it's not like Ali died out of the blue, he was on death's door for 2 decades.

The guy is just an utter bell end.

Twodogs
24-11-2016, 11:44 PM
No. Never met him or ever spoke to him. And Ali retired before he was born. And it's not like Ali died out of the blue, he was on death's door for 2 decades.

The guy is just an utter bell end.

Yeah but Ali must be a little bit to blame for that...

Sedat
24-11-2016, 11:45 PM
I personally enjoyed his traditional Aboriginal, I mean Brazilian, spear dance

1eyedog
25-11-2016, 08:13 AM
The quicker he exits the stage the better. Its embarrassing. Didn't the AFEL let him loose on the Dalai Lama a few years back?

dukedog
25-11-2016, 02:39 PM
Lumumba is an idiot. He would infuriate me if we hung out. We wouldnt be friends. He just whinges about everything. I have no idea how a fully grown man can say that the death of someone he never met affected him so drastically. Grow a pair Harry. 'The prince'? More like 'the pest' . Just doesn't know when to stfu. Demons are best to terminate his contract and pay him out and be done. Dont need his kind around the club.

Twodogs
25-11-2016, 03:24 PM
Lumumba is an idiot. He would infuriate me if we hung out. We wouldnt be friends. He just whinges about everything. I have no idea how a fully grown man can say that the death of someone he never met affected him so drastically. Grow a pair Harry. 'The prince'? More like 'the pest' . Just doesn't know when to stfu. Demons are best to terminate his contract and pay him out and be done. Dont need his kind around the club.

He'd forever be getting into fights with strangers too I reckon. Over stupid pointless things.

jeemak
26-11-2016, 01:15 PM
This will forever be my favourite Harry is a dickhead story:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/collingwood-footballer-harry-obrien-wants-to-meet-president-obama/story-e6frf7jo-1225863362749

"I desire to meet individuals who share similar visions and crusades as myself so that I can feed off their energy and continue to drive myself towards the direction of giving hope to all people.

"For me, this is much more than a meet-and-greet where I would then be able to walk away with a story to share with my grandchildren about the day I met with President Obama.

"This is about the voice of the children's cries I still hear from the HIV-infected orphans I cared for in Africa, the millions of women violently abused throughout Australia, depressed men who see no other option but to end their lives through their own hands, indigenous youth following a chain of dysfunction, forgotten homeless mental health sufferers throughout Australia, and immigrants to Australia who have trouble integrating into Australian culture. (His stepfather took his own life in Perth in 2009).

"This is my way of life. That is why I would love to get the opportunity to represent not only the AFL and the Collingwood Football Club, but all the other affiliations I have made in my short time and will continue to make, in meeting the US president."

Danny the snakeman
26-11-2016, 08:15 PM
Melbourne should sue Heritier for impersonating a footballer.

Twodogs
26-11-2016, 08:46 PM
This will forever be my favourite Harry is a dickhead story:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/collingwood-footballer-harry-obrien-wants-to-meet-president-obama/story-e6frf7jo-1225863362749

"I desire to meet individuals who share similar visions and crusades as myself so that I can feed off their energy and continue to drive myself towards the direction of giving hope to all people.

"For me, this is much more than a meet-and-greet where I would then be able to walk away with a story to share with my grandchildren about the day I met with President Obama.

"This is about the voice of the children's cries I still hear from the HIV-infected orphans I cared for in Africa, the millions of women violently abused throughout Australia, depressed men who see no other option but to end their lives through their own hands, indigenous youth following a chain of dysfunction, forgotten homeless mental health sufferers throughout Australia, and immigrants to Australia who have trouble integrating into Australian culture. (His stepfather took his own life in Perth in 2009).

"This is my way of life. That is why I would love to get the opportunity to represent not only the AFL and the Collingwood Football Club, but all the other affiliations I have made in my short time and will continue to make, in meeting the US president."

He's not speaking for me or representing my POV. I've never even been to whatever planet he is on.

jeemak
26-11-2016, 09:45 PM
He's not speaking for me or representing my POV. I've never even been to whatever planet he is on.

You're obviously not as well Harry'd as Harry is. He's so Harry he doesn't need spice to navigate hyperspace.

Twodogs
26-11-2016, 09:53 PM
You're obviously not as well Harry'd as Harry is. He's so Harry he doesn't need spice to navigate hyperspace.

Yep. I'm not receiving HerretiaFM (formerly HarryFM)

jeemak
26-11-2016, 09:58 PM
The Artist Formerly Known As Harry.

Twodogs
26-11-2016, 10:00 PM
Yeah very good. I like that.

KT31
27-11-2016, 11:47 AM
The Artist Formerly Known As Harry.

Bullshit Artist Formerly Known As Harry.

dukedog
28-11-2016, 12:40 PM
Genius
. Hahahaha

jeemak
05-12-2020, 10:46 PM
Here's a really interesting piece on Lumumba that tells his story from a different perspective. A cursory glance back through this thread makes me wonder if we were a little unkind at best, or completely manipulated into perceiving him to be a certain way at worst (or is that the other way around?).........

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-05/heritier-lumumba-strength-in-african-culture-collingwood-afl/12820942

I can definitely admit that I was manipulated into thinking from a certain perspective over his wishes to meet the sitting president of the United States.......fairly or otherwise.

Rocket Science
06-12-2020, 12:30 AM
Here's a really interesting piece on Lumumba that tells his story from a different perspective. A cursory glance back through this thread makes me wonder if we were a little unkind at best, or completely manipulated into perceiving him to be a certain way at worst (or is that the other way around?).........

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-05/heritier-lumumba-strength-in-african-culture-collingwood-afl/12820942

I can definitely admit that I was manipulated into thinking from a certain perspective over his wishes to meet the sitting president of the United States.......fairly or otherwise.

That Collingwood have spent more energy trying to discredit Lumumba rather than owning their shit speaks volumes here.

Then again, what else would you expect from a McGuire-led organisation mollycoddled by a league equally unwilling to acknowledge, let alone action real, long-overdue change.

If there's no league pressure on Collingwood, as opposed to the tacit fraternal wink-nudge that pervades everything the league does, they're never going to own it, not under the current President.

jeemak
06-12-2020, 12:40 AM
The club just needs to stand up and say look, we need to reset all of our values and make amends. This isn't just something that should be done to find the path to atonement for the Lumumba situation, but also those who felt discriminated against due to their sexuality right up to the shoddy treatment of the likes of Adam Treloar.

Eddie needs to go, because he's just too far under a dark cloud for him not to. He could be capable of change, but any change in him wouldn't come quickly enough and the likes of Buckley whose position should be tenuous at best right now, won't have any chance of being better unless somebody new comes in and enforces meaningful action against the BS that has pervaded the club for decades.

azabob
06-12-2020, 09:52 AM
Jeemak the sad thing is does Collingwoods values reflect the AFL and majority of the community?

Bulldog Joe
06-12-2020, 09:57 AM
That Collingwood have spent more energy trying to discredit Lumumba rather than owning their shit speaks volumes here.

Then again, what else would you expect from a McGuire-led organisation mollycoddled by a league equally unwilling to acknowledge, let alone action real, long-overdue change.

If there's no league pressure on Collingwood, as opposed to the tacit fraternal wink-nudge that pervades everything the league does, they're never going to own it, not under the current President.

While Collingwood and their President have a lot to answer for, I believe it is a bigger issue for the entire competition and the community at large.

Happy Days
06-12-2020, 12:20 PM
Jeemak the sad thing is does Collingwoods values reflect the AFL and majority of the community?

I've got no doubt that Collingwood are not a sui generis case among AFL clubs. Lumumba was just brave enough to speak out.

Testekill
06-12-2020, 12:23 PM

Collingwood and the AFL Media got away with manipulating the story, I bet that they probably would have used the word "uppity" if they could have gotten away with it.

jeemak
06-12-2020, 02:37 PM

Yeah probably.

Rocket Science
06-12-2020, 04:44 PM
While Collingwood and their President have a lot to answer for, I believe it is a bigger issue for the entire competition and the community at large.

This is entirely the point.

The league *could* lead on this issue, but they're disinclined to jeopardise their privilege, their cosy corporate and government connections or the planning and $$$ involved in substantive, structural progress.

Instead we get 'Free the Flag' for a week so they can lobby to sell sweatshop manufactured merch without having to pay licensing fees, otherwise S I L E N C E.

That silence means they're effectively running interference for Collingwood and anyone else neck deep in this.

That there's zero impetus or incentive to improve the record makes the deeds of Lumumba, Goodes, Betts or anyone else who dares speak out, doubly brave knowing any support offered will be token and sparing at best and probably not worth the price.

It's f***ing deplorable.

Dancin' Douggy
06-12-2020, 05:57 PM
Great article. Thanks for sharing.

Ghost Dog
07-12-2020, 01:17 PM
I met Harry once at a poetry reading in Melbourne. Really nice guy.
I am surprised he let it get as far as it got at Collingwood.
If it were me I would not let one of these taunts pass ( being called n***ger in a workplace ).
Call in the lawyers straight away.

EasternWest
07-12-2020, 03:00 PM
If it were me I would not let one of these taunts pass ( being called n***ger in a workplace ).

Did.... Did you just call him Harry?

hujsh
07-12-2020, 03:02 PM

Very easy to say from the outside looking in. Probably harder to confront in his position.