Welcome to the Dogs Patrick Lipinski.

bulldogtragic
25-11-2016, 09:03 PM
Any details?

GVGjr
25-11-2016, 09:05 PM
Any details?

188cm one touch forward. Good mover.

Like previous seasons, he is a player who finished the season strongly.

choconmientay
25-11-2016, 09:05 PM
http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=-3020-0-0-0&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=48781985

The 188cm Eltham product kicked 11 goals in his first six games of the TAC Cup season but soon drew on his basketball background to turn himself into a prolific tall on-baller.

Lipinski averaged 18 disposals per game in 12 matches for the Knights across 2016, but elevated that figure to 24 disposals per game in his last six appearances of the year.

taccup.com.au talked to Lipinski at the recent NAB AFL Draft Combine, where he recorded the equal-second-best score in the clean hands test and finished in the top 10 in the beep test.

http://www.aflphotos.com.au/images/thumbs/450/2016/10/08/477459.jpg

The Doctor
25-11-2016, 09:07 PM
like this pick

bulldogtragic
25-11-2016, 09:09 PM
I like the sound of him. It took Dal 20 seconds to select him. No doubts there.

Eastdog
25-11-2016, 09:09 PM
Sounds good. Good luck mate.

GVGjr
25-11-2016, 09:11 PM
He has very good endurance but he certainly isn't quick and was in the bottom rung at the combine.
A bit of work to do with him but he is a good mark and because he reads the play so well will be a difficult match-up.

ratsmac
25-11-2016, 09:13 PM
Welcome aboard son!

hujsh
25-11-2016, 09:14 PM
Any info on his kicking/decision making? Otherwise sounding a bit 'Bont-lite'

ratsmac
25-11-2016, 09:14 PM
Nickname has to be 'Lips'

Eastdog
25-11-2016, 09:15 PM

Maybe Lippy could be a candidate :)

Eastdog
25-11-2016, 09:17 PM

Both from the same area Eltham.

GVGjr
25-11-2016, 09:20 PM

I'm not so sure about that comparison. To me, he is more of a forward. His kicking is pretty good but he might be stretched from distance. Bont like with his handballs perhaps

Hot_Doggies
25-11-2016, 09:21 PM

Monica?

choconmientay
25-11-2016, 09:21 PM
This is an extract from TheAge:

Patrick Lipinski (Northern Knights/Eltham/Whitefriars)

Born: 17.7.1998

Height: 188cm

Weight: 79kg

AFL bio: Medium forward-midfielder who shows excellent game sense and ball-winning ability through the midfield or as a forward. From a basketball background excelled this year for the Knights averaging 17 disposals in 12 games in the TAC Cup.

"This was Patty's first year in our program. He was an elite junior basketballer, and spent some time in America before coming back to footy. He went over there and weighed up his options midway through last year, and thankfully for us he chose football. He had a good preseason, he ran a 15-plus beep test and really solid results across the board, and early in the year his forward craft was very good. He played predominantly as a third tall through the early part of the year, kicked a number of goals and took some eye-catching marks. We put him into the midfield in round eight, it was the first opportunity he'd had to play there and he had 15 possessions in the first quarter and looked really natural in there. He ended up getting 32 touches and being best on ground that day, and he got another 30 the next week against the Western Jets in the wet. He broke his hand that week and didn't come back until round 16, unfortunately, but it was a good chance for him to work on his pace and his kicking in that time off. He's still developing, but he's really clean and smart and a good endurance athlete. He sees the game quite well, his overhead marking is good and as a kid he's a genius – he's aiming for 95 for his ENTER score. He's a humble kid, confident but quiet and we describe him as a bit of a cleanskin. He's a higher achiever in everything he does, he even plays the piano."

Rhy Gieschen, Northern talent manager

Webby
25-11-2016, 09:22 PM
Ex-basketballer, late developer, tall on baller from the Northern Knights...

Sounds somewhat familiar..!

hujsh
25-11-2016, 09:23 PM
Word on BF that he's a Doggies supporter. Pretty good start to winning our hearts there.

Eastdog
25-11-2016, 09:26 PM
Cheers Choc. I have to say recently you have become an excellent contributor to Woof. You have found some great form :)

jeemak
25-11-2016, 09:28 PM
I've wanted a forward utility as a priority for a little while. Good stuff, and welcome to the Dogs Patrick!

LostDoggy
25-11-2016, 09:32 PM
Welcome to the Premiers Hot Lips:)

ratsmac
25-11-2016, 09:33 PM
Monica?

Haha. How'd I miss that one.

Lips - Monica.... Hehehe

choconmientay
25-11-2016, 10:01 PM
There is a video of Lipinski on DraftTracker. I can't get the direct link but you can watch it:

http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-tracker
Choose round 2, click on Patrick Lipinski and the Stats window with the Video will pop-up for you guys to watch.

whythelongface
25-11-2016, 10:18 PM
Welcome to the Premiers Hot Lips:)

Houlihan

KT31
25-11-2016, 11:07 PM
Welcome the Premiers young Paddy.

jeemak
25-11-2016, 11:20 PM
The Big Lipinski.

G-Mo77
26-11-2016, 01:08 AM
Word on BF that he's a Doggies supporter. Pretty good start to winning our hearts there.

Yep. Was at the GF as well.

GVGjr
26-11-2016, 01:12 AM
Yep. Was at the GF as well.

There is a nice picture of him on Twitter at the GF wearing his Bulldogs jumper. Now he can do it as a player. Every boys dream

dog town
26-11-2016, 07:16 AM
I wonder if there is a chance he could play backline too? In our set up a guy with a reach and marking ability like that could fit in quite well cutting off opposition kicks. Obviously he is a forward/mid but our backline is pretty much set up for guys with those attributes.

GVGjr
26-11-2016, 08:12 AM
I wonder if there is a chance he could play backline too? In our set up a guy with a reach and marking ability like that could fit in quite well cutting off opposition kicks. Obviously he is a forward/mid but our backline is pretty much set up for guys with those attributes.

It's a decent chance and perhaps Greene fits that criteria as well.

Go_Dogs
26-11-2016, 08:26 AM
His kicking action reminds me a little of Liam Picken.

Like this pick, he's got ball winning ability and knows where the goals are. As we saw throughout the finals series, players who can impact the scoreboard are worth their weight in gold.

lemmon
26-11-2016, 09:45 AM
Everything about this kid sounds fantastic- great athlete, goal sense, finds the ball and wins it himself...what's wrong with him?!?

Mofra
26-11-2016, 09:58 AM
Everything about this kid sounds fantastic- great athlete, goal sense, finds the ball and wins it himself...what's wrong with him?!?

Drafting him doesn't boost our membership, already a Bulldog.

EasternWest
26-11-2016, 10:19 AM
There is a nice picture of him on Twitter at the GF wearing his Bulldogs jumper. Now he can do it as a player. Every boys dream

It's Michael Talia all over again!

Twodogs
26-11-2016, 11:17 AM

There is only one Marcus Bontempelli. I've been watching football for 50 years and I haven't seen a better prospect

A bit like Monty.

Let's hope he's more like Rohan Smith

angelopetraglia
26-11-2016, 11:30 AM
Another boy from the mighty Eltham Panthers. Something in the water out here! Eltham products in the AFL system at the moment:

Marcus Bontempelli
David Zaharakis
Josh Caddy
Nick Vlastuin
Adam Simpson
Daniel Currie
Patrick Lipinksi

Twodogs
26-11-2016, 11:43 AM
Another boy from mighty Eltham Panthers. Something in the water or maybe out here! Eltham products in the AFL system at the moment:

Marcus Bontempelli
David Zaharakis
Josh Caddy
Nick Vlastuin
Adam Simpson
Daniel Currie
Patrick Lipinksi

I've always thought that Eltham was full of *!*!*!*!ing hippies (I hate hippies, filthy stinking things) but obviously it's full of footballers.

Happy Days
26-11-2016, 12:33 PM
I've always thought that Eltham was full of *!*!*!*!ing hippies (I hate hippies, filthy stinking things) but obviously it's full of footballers.

Absolutely the opposite; they have a near sexual obsession with junior sports out that way.

Congratulations to Patrick, I think he'll help us bring in the teenage girl demographic if nothing else.

hujsh
26-11-2016, 12:42 PM
There is only one Marcus Bontempelli. I've been watching football for 50 years and I haven't seen a better prospect

Well he's similar to Bont in the same way every player 3-4 years ago who as tallish, tested well in agility but wasn't fast was 'the next Pendlebury'

jeemak
26-11-2016, 01:07 PM
Absolutely the opposite; they have a near sexual obsession with junior sports out that way.

Congratulations to Patrick, I think he'll help us bring in the teenage girl demographic if nothing else.

Yep, the white belt extended and entrenched itself in Eltham quite some time ago.

In the 90's Eltham was where the long haired undercut populace really came to prominence, they extended via 25-45km radius east from the city centre all the way to the Peninsula.

lemmon
26-11-2016, 01:55 PM
A little bit of Luke Parker in that highlight vid? Not sure

jeemak
26-11-2016, 03:29 PM
I really liked the look of his hands.

Doc26
26-11-2016, 05:52 PM

No go home factor here, Pat's already at home.
He's a favourite already.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kplqtjl8qbqqfok/Photo%2026-11-16%2C%204%2029%2011%20pm.jpg?raw=1

Bulldog4life
26-11-2016, 06:14 PM

Or Brad Johnson

Twodogs
26-11-2016, 09:58 PM

Well there you go. I've never been there but everyone I've ever met from Eltham was a hippy. That probably says more about me now that I think about it.

KT31
27-11-2016, 12:03 PM
https://thatswhattsaid.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/cartman.jpg

angelopetraglia
27-11-2016, 04:14 PM
I grew up in Eltham and there was always a fringe "greeny" element but the majority of the population were largely representative of other middle/outer Melbourne suburbs (probably with a smaller income distribution gap, very little poverty or extreme wealth). While only being 22km as the bird flies from the CBD it is a little more isolated due to it's proximity to the Yarra River and the limited ways you can get in and out of the suburb.

Twodogs
27-11-2016, 04:25 PM
Williamstown is close to the city but has that out of the way feel as well because there's only one way in and out. Apart from the back way. And the Altona way.

ledge
28-11-2016, 12:10 PM
I have some info on him , a lady I know has a bit to do with his basketball club where the Bonts sisters play ..
He has two brothers who play basketball , one plays college BB in the USA , he only chose footy a couple of years ago ahead of BB.
His mother is a Doctor, the family is well respected and loved , also driven.
Seems a lot like the Bontempelli family.

The Pie Man
28-11-2016, 03:05 PM
I grew up in Eltham and there was always a fringe "greeny" element but the majority of the population were largely representative of other middle/outer Melbourne suburbs (probably with a smaller income distribution gap, very little poverty or extreme wealth). While only being 22km as the bird flies from the CBD it is a little more isolated due to it's proximity to the Yarra River and the limited ways you can get in and out of the suburb.

I moved to Eltham nearly 6 years ago - I don't want it to change, but the traffic situation can be a freaking nightmare.

Concur with other posts re" Eltham demographic - it's a damn pretty town, so there's a green element out here (see 'Welcome to Eltham' butterfly rally for refugees) but also a huge focus on sport.

Coffee too.....so much coffee

Eastdog
28-11-2016, 06:35 PM

Just great for him :)

Bulldog Revolution
28-11-2016, 10:14 PM
I love Lipinski

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/lifelong-western-bulldogs-supporter-patrick-lipinski-to-live-out-afl-dream-after-being-drafted-afl-reigning-premier/news-story/3b5b0d350616e0358f8aa4d9ba194608

bulldogtragic
28-11-2016, 10:37 PM
I love Lipinski

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/lifelong-western-bulldogs-supporter-patrick-lipinski-to-live-out-afl-dream-after-being-drafted-afl-reigning-premier/news-story/3b5b0d350616e0358f8aa4d9ba194608

Same here. 50 goals in 10 games as a small forward in his local under 17's. He certainly knows how to kick goals, a great asset for a midfielder.

LostDoggy
29-11-2016, 08:33 AM
I love Lipinski

So PL will be living with the Bont and determined to just watch everything he does and take it all in. Now that's a pretty good leg up for your career.

Mofra
29-11-2016, 12:21 PM
I love Lipinski

Jesus, from cheering on in the stands to having the Bont as a roomie. Not a bad start

Ozza
29-11-2016, 12:22 PM
So PL will be living with the Bont and determined to just watch everything he does and take it all in. Now that's a pretty good leg up for your career.

Imagine that. Getting drafted by the team you support, and moving in with that team's best player - who grew up in your area/played for your TAC Cup side.

Talk about being blessed with your transition to the big time!!

ledge
29-11-2016, 01:22 PM
I would say they know each other already. It's not a huge basketball club and the bontempellis are pretty prominent.
Makes sense to put them together

Bulldog4life
29-11-2016, 01:28 PM
Bonti's uncle coaches Patrick's team

Selection No.28 – Patrick Lipinski
Simon Dalrymple says: "A former basketballer who is a fantastic young man and plays as a mid forward. He's actually coached by Marcus Bontempelli's uncle, so there's a connection there, and he's got a great attitude."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-25/dogs-go-against-grain-and-boost-tall-stocks

Twodogs
29-11-2016, 03:59 PM
These people are hippies I tell you. They are just pretending to be normal.

Who can know why?

Axe Man
29-11-2016, 07:20 PM
Double dose of 'dream comes true' for new Dog (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-11-29/its-a-dream-come-true)

Draftee Patrick Lipinski is pinching himself after realising two life-long ambitions in the space of two months.

The 18-year-old grew up in Melbourne's eastern suburbs dreaming of a Western Bulldogs flag and becoming an AFL player, and he can now proudly say he's achieved both.

The midfielder was one of 99,981 people who witnessed the Dogs beat Sydney to claim their first premiership since 1954, and his year to remember was capped off when the club he loves called out his name at with pick No.28 in Friday night's NAB AFL Draft.

"I was just so ecstatic, I just couldn't believe (I was selected by the Bulldogs) to be honest," Lipinski said on Tuesday.

"I didn't have many expectations going into the draft, I was just hoping to get picked up.

"It was amazing (Grand Final day) because when I was younger I wasn't sure I'd ever see a (premiership).

"It's a dream come true."

The Northern Knights product was a surprise second-round selection as many draft experts had him slated for a later pick after a broken hand saw him miss a chunk of the TAC Cup season.

However, impressive form up forward at the start of the year and several eye-catching games in the midfield later in the season saw him earn an invitation to the NAB AFL Draft Combine.

A post-season visit to the family home by the Dogs' recruiting team was "pretty special", but Lipinski didn't get his hopes up of a career at the club he loves.

"I had spoken to (the Dogs) so I knew it was a possibility, but I didn't actually think it could happen," he said.

"But it has and I couldn't be happier."

Lipinski hails from the same junior football club as Marcus Bontempell, and the families have crossed paths through their sporting pursuits.

While at 186cm, he's not proclaiming to be the next tall midfielder to take the AFL by storm, but previous coaches have asked him to study Bontempelli and Carlton's Patrick Cripps.

"I'm not the player they are, but I just try to take a few tips of what they do and try and implement them into my game," he said.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-11-2016, 12:10 AM
Seems like a really good young kid.

Hard to say who has my interest the most out of all our draftees so far, they each have a different element. English as the super mobile modern day ruck, Lips as perhaps the most ready of the group and a big mid/resting forward, Young as a KPP and Greene as a smokey.

Mofra
30-11-2016, 10:54 AM
Lipinski is the most "sure" of our picks to me - to nab 30+ possessions in your first game in the midfield at u18 level shows natural ability yet the draft watchers referred to him as the most athletic kid in the draft.

Jongy has shown what an athlete can do under our system, I'm prepared to call Patrick the most likely type to make the grade.

kruder
02-12-2016, 08:28 PM
Just looking at the training highlights he has a great frame to work with thats for sure.

bulldogtragic
02-12-2016, 08:48 PM
So he's a Western Bulldogs member.
So he goes to the Grand Final.
So he sees a Premiership at the tender age of 18.
So he gets paid great money to hang around the club, with the premiership players.
So he gets to live with Bonts.

Such is life!

Twodogs
05-12-2016, 03:55 PM
Why has he moved in with the Bonts? Has the club sold him to them or something?

Cyberdoggie
08-12-2016, 11:45 AM

Maybe it's closer to the WO? Does he have his license yet?

bulldogtragic
08-12-2016, 12:04 PM

Something like that. From what I've heard, on the first day of training Patty crashed into Bonts car in the car park. Patty didn't have insurance so the club ordered him to be his live in butler.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-12-2016, 12:24 PM
Something like that. From what I've heard, on the first day of training Patty crashed into Bonts car in the car park. Patty didn't have insurance so the club ordered him to be his live in butler.

Heard Libba tried to get Patty to come to his place and clean his house as it was a pigsty. Bont had none of it.

bulldogtragic
08-12-2016, 12:25 PM
Heard Libba tried to get Patty to come to his place and clean his house as it was a pigsty. Bont had none of it.

Well he's Bonts butler.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-12-2016, 12:27 PM
Well he's Bonts butler.

True. But surely as Bont's butler, the Bont can just give him any order he wants. I mean that's what butlers do, they follow orders.

Bulldog Revolution
08-12-2016, 04:24 PM
I would say they know each other already. It's not a huge basketball club and the bontempellis are pretty prominent.
Makes sense to put them together

It is a huge basketball club, but Bont played in a basketball team with Pats older brother whose at college in the US, so they have some connection clearly

bulldogtragic
08-12-2016, 04:25 PM
It is a huge basketball club, but Bont played in a basketball team with Pats older brother whose at college in the US, so they have some connection clearly

I'm pretty sure I read that Bonts uncle coached Patty too at the club.

bornadog
08-12-2016, 04:43 PM
I'm pretty sure I read that Bonts uncle coached Patty too at the club.

see here

Selection No.28 – Patrick Lipinski
Simon Dalrymple says: "A former basketballer who is a fantastic young man and plays as a mid forward. He's actually coached by Marcus Bontempelli's uncle, so there's a connection there, and he's got a great attitude."

1eyedog
08-12-2016, 04:50 PM

Seriously? He crashed into the Bonts 150k Merc on day 1? Man you'd be tempted to not go in. Talk about a grand entrance!

Happy Days
08-12-2016, 06:19 PM

Too good.

bornadog
24-08-2017, 11:13 AM
Patrick to debut tomorrow night, the 1000th Bulldog to wear the RWB.

bulldogtragic
24-08-2017, 11:17 AM

Great stuff!

Who would've thought we'd debut Patty, Timmy & Lewy.

Twodogs
24-08-2017, 11:33 AM
Patrick files into the team.

Cyberdoggie
24-08-2017, 11:42 AM
Huge honour for the kid to play his first game in Bob and Boydy's last game as well as Hodge's.

bornadog
24-08-2017, 12:01 PM
Huge honour for the kid to play his first game in Bob and Boydy's last game as well as Hodge's.

Bevo: The side will represent both ends of the spectrum. Patty the young blood, Bob and Boydy the experienced heads.

Patrick just turned 19 and Bob and Boydy 35.

bornadog
24-08-2017, 03:40 PM
A dream come true for a life long Doggies man

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DH98igXUAAAQ0G0.jpg

bornadog
24-08-2017, 05:46 PM
Patrick gets his jumper presented by one of my favourite players from the 80s Steve Super McPherson.

A great speech as well - watch here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2017-08-24/macpherson-presents-guernsey-to-lipinski)

bulldogtragic
24-08-2017, 05:55 PM
Good light hearted speech. He's still packing Bevo like guns. Imagine those two in an overly competitive Super Rules game, they'd kill opponents quite literally.

anfo27
24-08-2017, 06:31 PM
Patrick gets his jumper presented by one of my favourite players from the 80s Steve Super McPherson.

A great speech as well - watch here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2017-08-24/macpherson-presents-guernsey-to-lipinski)

I was just a little fella in the 80's but Super was a favourite & why my favourite number is 27. Loved his hardness!

KT31
24-08-2017, 06:46 PM
A dream come true for a life long Doggies man

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DH98igXUAAAQ0G0.jpg

From supporting us in a Granny, and now running out on the field in our colours, I doubt any kid has had as an exciting twelve months
in our recruitment history.
Great luck to Young Paddy and may our 1000th player be a future champ for us.

Eastdog
24-08-2017, 08:41 PM
Patrick was a Doggies fan before joining us which is great.

Good luck tomorrow night Patrick and hopefully you play a part in getting us the win that keeps our finals hopes alive for 2017.

Remi Moses
24-08-2017, 08:41 PM
Good luck to young pat

Eastdog
24-08-2017, 08:43 PM

1000th Bulldog and was a Doggies supporter growing up. That's great!

Smads57
24-08-2017, 10:11 PM
Good luck Lipper - have enjoyed watching you grow in the VFL and now getting a chance to play your first game in the big dance!

Doc26
24-08-2017, 10:32 PM

Was really pleased to watch Super handover the #27 to Pat. Wasn't sure if/how connected Steve was since we passed on Darcy so was chuffed to see him still connected and down at the Club.

FrediKanoute
24-08-2017, 10:52 PM
Love Super as a player - gutted we passed on Darcy. has proved a handy player at GCS

Twodogs
25-08-2017, 12:25 AM
I love the romance of a life time doggies supporter running out to play his first game with his heroes. For that game to be the farewell to two legends of the club and for you to be number 1000 (I don't know why I'm so impressed with that) player in 92 years* would be the icing on a life long dream.

*92 years, 1000 players, that means we've debuted more than 10 players a season. Does that sound right, that we have turned over half our team on average every year? Have I got the equation figured out correctly? 1925-2017=92 years (or 93 I can never get that 0/1 thing right) and 1000 debuts makes it 1000 divided by 93= abitmorethanten. Still doesn't seem right.

Twodogs
27-08-2017, 04:17 PM

I was just a little fella in the 80's but Super was a favourite & why my favourite number is 27. Loved his hardness!

For some reason Steve got his guitar out at the Fightback rally in 1989 and sang American Pie. I don't know why.

Bulldog4life
27-08-2017, 04:20 PM
For some reason Steve got his guitar out at the Fightback rally in 1989 and sang American Pie. I don't know why.

I was there too Td and remember it well. Went over very well with the crowd.

Twodogs
27-08-2017, 04:35 PM
I was there too Td and remember it well. Went over very well with the crowd.

It was one of the things that combined to make it such a memorable day. Nowadays I can't imagine that day without super getting up and singing. Even though it was such an odd thing to do it just seemed right at the time. IIRC steve's reasoning was that the only other thing he could do apart from play footy was play the guitar and if the VFL weren't going to let him play footy at the footy ground then he would just have to play his guitar instead!

Bulldog4life
27-08-2017, 04:50 PM
It was one of the things that combined to make it such a memorable day. Nowadays I can't imagine that day without super getting up and singing. Even though it was such an odd thing to do it just seemed right at the time. IIRC steve's reasoning was that the only other thing he could do apart from play footy was play the guitar and if the VFL weren't going to let him play footy at the footy ground then he would just have to play his guitar instead!

Yes it was a great day all round.

LostDoggy
28-08-2017, 09:01 AM
I was quite impressed with Lipinski's debut. Looked to know the spots to run to, had a good appetite for the contest and didn't look out of place. Needs to get stronger, naturally, and 0.3 was disappointing although none of the misses were howlers. 18 touches at 67% efficiency in the forward line is not at all a bad return, and only 1 clanger. Looks to have plenty to work with.

The bulldog tragician
28-08-2017, 07:28 PM
He did change the lyric to: This is the day that Footscray DIDN'T die !

Twodogs
28-08-2017, 07:49 PM
He did change the lyric to: This is the day that Footscray DIDN'T die !

You've got a good recollection Trag. I did spend a fair bit of time back then chemically reordering my brain so I have an excuse for forgetting.

bornadog
07-05-2018, 09:40 PM
FROM THE GRANDSTAND TO THE BIG STAGE, LIPINSKI’S ALWAYS BEEN A BULLDOG (http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/from-the-grandstand-to-the-big-stage-lipinskis-always-been-a-bulldog/)

As a lifelong Western Bulldogs fan, 2016 was a banner year for Patrick Lipinski.
Less than two months after his beloved Dogs won their first premiership in 62 years, Lipinski had a childhood dream fulfilled when the team drafted him with their second pick.

A year and a half on and four games into his AFL career, it hasn’t taken him long to adjust to life at Whitten Oval.
But there were a few moments in the early going that left the youngster pinching himself.

“At the start it was pretty surreal meeting some of your idols,” Lipinski told AFLPlayers.com.au.
“But after settling in a little bit you realise that they’re all just normal people. I remember meeting Liam Picken and he just said, ‘G’day, I’m Liam,’ but most Doggies fans would just think of him as ‘Picko.'”

After debuting in the final round of last season, Lipinski looks to have cemented a place in the Bulldogs’ line-up with some impressive performances over the past few weeks.

He was called up to the senior side in Round 5 and has kicked a major in every game since, with his three-goal haul against Carlton catching the attention of the football public.

And while the young Bulldogs are starting to build into some form, Lipinski is still just trying to adjust to football at the highest level.
“The more you play the more you feel comfortable, and the more your teammates feel comfortable kicking to you and trusting you,” the 19-year-old explained.

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/lipinksi.jpg

Before he was getting used to running out in the red, white and blue every weekend, Lipinski was growing up in the Melbourne suburb of Eltham, the same area that produced Bulldogs superstar Marcus Bontempelli.

There must be something in the water in Melbourne’s north-east, as Lipinski grew up alongside another future AFL player, St Kilda defender Nick Coffield.

“Coff and I played junior footy together, went to school together and we’re still in touch now,” Lipinski explained.
While both he and Coffield are thrilled to be in the AFL, they had briefly dared to dream of an even better outcome.

“We were really hoping he’d somehow get drafted to the Doggies, but he was taken one spot before our first pick,” he said.
“He was a Doggies supporter as well, but he’s happy at St Kilda. He’s doing well there and it looks like he’s going to have a long career.”

The Bulldogs and Saints will meet in Round 20 this season, so the two childhood friends will have to wait a while until their first potential showdown.
For two young men who have always been on the same side it would be a totally new experience, but one they would relish.
“We’ve talked about that a few times, how cool it would be if we got to play on each other — I’ve never played against him — so that would be pretty awesome.”

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/patlip.jpg

Until then, Lipinski and his teammates will be looking to build on their current two-game winning streak and make a push towards the top eight.
The Bulldogs have consistently fielded the youngest side in the competition, with an average age younger than 23 years old across last weekend’s line-up.

While that has led to some growing pains across the board, Lipinski is welcoming the chance to play alongside his fellow recent draftees.

“It’s been pretty cool being able to play with some of my good mates who are the first and second year boys, like Timmy English, Aaron Naughton and Ed Richards.” he said.

And with the side starting to round into some form, it’s those younger players that should give Bulldogs fans plenty of hope for what’s to come.

But still being only 19 years old and with just four senior games under his belt, Lipinski doesn’t want to get too far ahead of himself.

As far as this season is concerned, he’s set some simple goals.

“For the team, we’d obviously love to make finals. We got off to a slow start but we’re starting to build some momentum, so hopefully we can keep stringing wins together and climb up the ladder,” he said.
In terms of personal objectives, he’s keeping them pretty straightforward as well.

“It was a goal of mine to get into the side early in the season and just do my best to hold my spot. If I can do that and continue to improve along the way that would be ideal.”

With six goals already to his name and a pair of good wins, it’s hard to see Lipinski leaving the senior side any time soon.
And if his rapid improvement continues, he could be one of the faces of the Bulldogs sooner rather than later.

bulldogtragic
07-05-2018, 09:51 PM
Bring Coffield over then... :D

I think we have a gem. It might take a while to really flourish, but I see a lot of one touch polish that Bailey Dale showed, but with a goal sense that we need. I wonder if he can develop into midfield time too?

Twodogs
07-05-2018, 11:48 PM
Is Paddy second on our goalkicking? I know Gowers is in front but he can't be very day ahead.

I remember Jim Edmomd winning our goalkicking with something like 23 goals in 1981 and it's looking like this year will be a trivia question too.

bornadog
08-05-2018, 12:01 AM
Is Paddy second on our goalkicking? I know Gowers is in front but he can't be very day ahead.

I remember Jim Edmomd winning our goalkicking with something like 23 goals in 1981 and it's looking like this year will be a trivia question too.

Gowers, Billy (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/player-profile/billy-gowers) 10
Lipinski, Patrick (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/player-profile/patrick-lipinski) 6
Bontempelli, Marcus (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/player-profile/marcus-bontempelli-) 6
Dunkley, Josh (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/player-profile/josh-dunkley) 6

Daughter of the West
08-05-2018, 10:51 AM
The romantic in me loves the fact that he was a one eyed Bulldogs supporter who was in the stands at the Grand Final and now he is playing with some of his idols.

He looks like a solid pick up - may his upward trend in form continue!

Twodogs
08-05-2018, 11:29 AM
The romantic in me loves the fact that he was a one eyed Bulldogs supporter who was in the stands at the Grand Final and now he is playing with some of his idols.

He looks like a solid pick up - may his upward trend in form continue!

That would be awesome but come with its own problems. I know for a fact that if it happened to me then I'd promptly forget how to play football properly between draft day and my first training session with my heroes. I just know the first pass Bont shoots my way knocks me off my feet!

Axe Man
08-05-2018, 12:23 PM

Edmond and Loveless both kicked 25 in 1981. You only have to look at last year to find a lower total than that (24 to Picken and Stringer).

Still much better than 1963 when Bisset and Hobbs only managed 16. Hopefully someone can at least make it into the 30s this year.

Twodogs
08-05-2018, 12:59 PM
Edmond and Loveless both kicked 25 in 1981. You only have to look at last year to find a lower total than that (24 to Picken and Stringer).

Heh! Jock and Pinhead! The only time I ever saw Bruce Doull back down was one day at Whitten oval just after Loveless had pulled Doull's headband off and threw it into the crowd (a favourite pastime of VFL forwards in the 70s and 80s) and Doull started with his crazy head, spinning eyes stuff that he did when Shane just loosened his shoulders and faced up to him with his fists cocked in the classic boxer's stance and Doull shat himself and turned away. I couldn't see it but the look on Pinhead's face must have meant business because Doull was tough and never backed down when challenged (which was fairly often)

Still much better than 1963 when Bisset and Hobbs only managed 16. Hopefully someone can at least make it into the 30s this year.

I tell you what. Wee Georgie and Merv would be more than handy in this Buuldog team. They both used the ball so well and got so much of it.

Georgie's straight kicking for goal would be a massive asset.

westdog54
08-05-2018, 08:33 PM

In fairness, Stringer won our H & A goalkicking in our premiership year with 37, which is hardly setting the world on fire.

In the last 20 years these are the only 50+ goalkickers we've had:
1998 - P Hudson. We finished 2nd on the ladder
2002-03 N Brown, 12th and last
2006-07 B Johnson, 8th and 13th
2010-11 B Hall, 4th and 10th
2015 J Stringer, 5th.

Twodogs
09-05-2018, 12:14 AM
In fairness, Stringer won our H & A goalkicking in our premiership year with 37, which is hardly setting the world on fire.

2015 J Stringer, 5th.

Things change. Simon Beasley came over from WA in 1982 (with a big reputation) and kicks 82 in 21 games in his first year and tge prevailing thought wasn't "well done, him. 82 goals first up is a fair effort" it was "only 82? This bloke is supposed to a gun" Beasley had a great record, I was having a look the other night on AFLtables. He kicked more than 60 goals a year for the first seven years. He only played six games in year eight before retiring so he's kicked 60+ every year he's played with us with the one ton. He kicked more goals in the 1980s than any other player.

Ghost Dog
09-05-2018, 02:26 AM

2015 J Stringer, 5th.

Never new that!
In 2016 our accuracy was woeful and I was so nervous in the final.

GVGjr
09-05-2018, 08:31 PM

2015 J Stringer, 5th.

Dickson kicked 50 goals in 2015
Johnson kicked 50 or more in 2006, 2007 and 2008

westdog54
10-05-2018, 12:09 PM
Johnno's 50th goal in 08 came during the finals series, 47 during the H&A series. Same with Dickson in 15, kicked 5 in the EF to put him over to 50.

westdog54
10-05-2018, 12:10 PM
Never new that!

Oddly enough our accuracy in the first half of the GF was fantastic.

We missed at least 5 very gettable goals in the last quarter of the prelim.

Axe Man
10-05-2018, 12:38 PM

2015 J Stringer, 5th.

Who said we need someone to kick 50 goals? I certainly didn't. However, for a successful season (without looking up the stats) you would probably like someone over 30 and a good spread of goalkickers at least in double figures if you don't have someone kicking 50 plus.

Axe Man
10-05-2018, 12:42 PM
Never new that!

Our accuracy in 2016 was miles better than 2017 and 2018 so far. I would happily take our woeful 2016 accuracy (better than 50%) now.

westdog54
10-05-2018, 01:52 PM
Who said we need someone to kick 50 goals? I certainly didn't. However, for a successful season (without looking up the stats) you would probably like someone over 30 and a good spread of goalkickers at least in double figures if you don't have someone kicking 50 plus.

Just an arbitrary number I selected. Don't read too much into it.

Twodogs
10-05-2018, 02:27 PM
Oddly enough our accuracy in the first half of the GF was fantastic.

We missed at least 5 very gettable goals in the last quarter of the prelim.

I remember walking down the steps to my seat at half time looking at the scoreboard that said 8.1 and thinking "we've picked the perfect day to kick straight for once.

Apropos to nothing really at halftime on Sunday Collingwood 10.3 Brisbane 10.0! Bobby Davis would have said it was "fair dinkum unbelievable"

It's important to have a spread of goal kickers. You want half a dozen with 20+ at least. If you've got one dominant goal kicker he draws five defenders to every contest.

Our accuracy in 2016 was miles better than 2017 and 2018 so far. I would happily take our woeful 2016 accuracy (better than 50%) now.

It's long been an issue though. I don't think we should stop worrying about it because it's getting worse. ;)

westdog54
10-05-2018, 03:26 PM
I remember walking down the steps to my seat at half time looking at the scoreboard that said 8.1 and thinking "we've picked the perfect day to kick straight for once.

Shame it went to shit in the third quarter.

I still can't fathom the first goal that Cordy kicked from the Boundary line. I turned to the folks next to me (all neutrals, I was in the AFL members Reserve) and saying "He's not a great kick, I can't see him getting this one". I don't think he's struck another kick in his life as beautifully as he did that one.

Twodogs
10-05-2018, 05:44 PM

I still can't fathom the first goal that Cordy kicked from the Boundary line. I turned to the folks next to me (all neutrals, I was in the AFL members Reserve) and saying "He's not a great kick, I can't see him getting this one". I don't think he's struck another kick in his life as beautifully as he did that one.

Yep, 2.6 in the third, and 6.10 in the second half. It was 7.1 to half time which I will take anyday in a grand final. I wonder if we had been 6.10 at half time if the boys would go in thinking "we've thrown this away" I'd like to think not but who knows?

When the Cordy kick went through I can remember thinking "we are a chance here, and it ain't just bravado"

Smads57
10-05-2018, 06:42 PM
Lipinski has played midfield in the VFL early this year.

westdog54
10-05-2018, 06:55 PM
Yep, 2.6 in the third, and 6.10 in the second half. It was 7.1 to half time which I will take anyday in a grand final. I wonder if we had been 6.10 at half time if the boys would go in thinking "we've thrown this away" I'd like to think not but who knows?

When the Cordy kick went through I can remember thinking "we are a chance here, and it ain't just bravado"

All I had in the kit bag was to shout "I take it all back Zaine!"

Twodogs
10-05-2018, 07:35 PM
All I had in the kit bag was to shout "I take it all back Zaine!"

I've always been a huge Zaine fan. You don't often find a footballer who is happy to do the physical stuff. I don't mean that Zaine enjoys hurting other people, but if he has to its not a problem.

Ozza
15-05-2018, 11:57 AM

We were exactly 6.10 at half time in the Hawthorn game, and went on to kick 10.1 in the second half.
The belief of the team was unshakeable during the 2016 finals - the accuracy wouldn't have made a difference, we just had to be 'in touch' at half time and we would win.

Twodogs
15-05-2018, 09:22 PM
We were exactly 6.10 at half time in the Hawthorn game, and went on to kick 10.1 in the second half.
The belief of the team was unshakeable during the 2016 finals - the accuracy wouldn't have made a difference, we just had to be 'in touch' at half time and we would win.

Well there you go! I can stop wondering,

Problem solved, next.

Mofra
16-05-2018, 04:24 PM

I was confident Cordy would kick it strangely.
He is actually quite an accurate kick most of the time, even if his action is a bit ugly.

ledge
16-05-2018, 05:17 PM
Zaine Cordy is one of the most unco ordinated looking footballers around but he is very good, I love the way he can swing his arms and legs around to belt someone and make it look like it's just his awkwardness.

westdog54
16-05-2018, 07:17 PM
Zaine Cordy is one of the most unco ordinated looking footballers around but he is very good, I love the way he can swing his arms and legs around to belt someone and make it look like it's just his awkwardness.

He has some smarts about him as well.

In the prelim he has a big hand in Clay Smith's opening goal. He goes up for a contest as a forward that he's never going to win, but manages to palm it to ground to his own advantage and get the handball off to Clay. It was brilliantly done.

1eyedog
18-05-2018, 02:52 PM
He has some smarts about him as well.

In the prelim he has a big hand in Clay Smith's opening goal. He goes up for a contest as a forward that he's never going to win, but manages to palm it to ground to his own advantage and get the handball off to Clay. It was brilliantly done.

Was a brilliant piece of play.

Mofra
18-05-2018, 04:41 PM
Tonight seems like a Lipinski kind of night - smart positioning from a small forward in the wet will be vital.

We'll have a tall forward at all times now assuming Boyd & Roughy swap in the ruck.

Axe Man
25-06-2019, 10:32 AM
Many question Bevo's switching of players roles, here's a move that appears to be paying off.

Why going backwards has helped young Western Bulldogs midfielder Pat Lipinski leap forwards (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/why-going-backwards-has-helped-young-western-bulldogs-midfielder-pat-lipinski-leap-forwards/news-story/981527f7b20b85fe002abf63868d7ce6?fbclid=IwAR0JNWlkisqZWUhY1p ZYJCpbSFb5xj6kmSNuprxYU1ldDCsurbxptmUp9mc)

Pat Lipinski had just been dropped when Luke Beveridge made a suggestion that changed the course of his season.
The pair were sitting inside Beveridge’s office at Whitten Oval when the Western Bulldogs’ coach floated the idea of shifting the 20-year-old from a wing to an inside role.

The Bulldogs are stacked with classy outside types in the form of reigning best and fairest winner Lachie Hunter, Jason Johannisen, Taylor Duryea, Ed Richards and star midfielders Jack Macrae and Marcus Bontempelli can go inside and out.

If Lipinski was going to get a game, he had to add to his game.

It didn’t happen overnight, but over the course of six games in the VFL, where the Eltham product averaged 25 disposals and 4.7 tackles for Footscray, Lipinski added another string to his bow.

He replaced mature-age recruit Will Hayes for the clash against North Melbourne in Round 10 — Brad Scott’s last game in charge — and has played the type of football that shows why the Bulldogs used Pick 28 to pluck him out of the Northern Knights at the end of 2016.

After collecting 23 disposals in each of his first two games of the year, Lipinski gathered 29 disposals and kicked two goals against Carlton in Round 13, before amassing a career-high 32 disposals and a goal against Collingwood at Marvel Stadium on Sunday.

“All pre-season I was playing wing and then the first game of the JLT I was playing wing and didn’t have my best game and then got sent back to the VFL and I pretty much played inside mid for 10 weeks or so and just got to really improve on my craft,” Lipinski told foxsports.com.au after the Western Bulldogs lost to Collingwood on Sunday.

“I wouldn’t have had a chance to do that at AFL level, so that really helped me come into the AFL side and have more versatility to play forward, wing or mid.

“Coming back in and being confident (has been the catalyst behind form turnaround). Playing VFL you get to really work on your weaknesses.

“At the time, playing VFL can be a bit frustrating but it has definitely helped me because otherwise I wouldn’t get the opportunity to go in and play inside midfield at AFL level.”

While the Western Bulldogs remain inside the bottom four and two games outside the top eight after Sunday’s single digit loss, Lipinski has proven he can perform at the highest level by producing his two best performance at AFL level in consecutive weeks.

“I think it has just proven I belong at the level,” he said.

“I’m getting more confident with each game that I can stand up against the big bodies and really use my strengths with my running. It is a good confidence builder, but I really need to keep it up.”

Lipinski lives in Port Melbourne with Aaron Naughton and Tim English — two players who loom as crucial pieces in the Western Bulldogs’ next premiership pursuit — and has spent the past month playing alongside his housemates.

“I’ve been with them for 10 months. We never really fight or anything and have a good system with the washing and cooking,” he said.

“It is good that we get to play with each other now. We had one today where Timmy kicked it to me and I kicked it to Naughty so that’s the first time I’ve done that.

Although, the flashy flat screen television Naughton won after that breakout performance against Richmond in Round 7 is still yet to arrive.

Not that Lipinski is watching the Dogs play on the box anymore.

bornadog
25-06-2019, 10:46 AM
Another gem from Eltham. Took his opportunity and is now reaping the benefits.

soupman
25-06-2019, 04:51 PM
Not a criticism but find it interesting that in the week of JLT2 we had the following players all have their positions redefined after an entire pre-season:
-Lipinski from outside mid to inside mid
-Naughton from key defender to key forward
-Trengove went from seeming as if he was competing for the ruck/resting forward position to becoming a ruck/key defender
-Williams went from midfield to playing as a lockdown defender

Weird week.

ledge
25-06-2019, 07:47 PM
Another gem from Eltham. Took his opportunity and is now reaping the benefits.

Pity we couldn’t get Siers , friends I believe.

bornadog
19-08-2019, 01:55 PM
How good was Patrick yesterday, 27 disposals, 10 contested, 2 goals, 7 tackles and ran all day

Remi Moses
19-08-2019, 05:41 PM
He’s gone under the radar
Seriously good player

comrade
19-08-2019, 05:52 PM
How good was Patrick yesterday, 27 disposals, 10 contested, 2 goals, 7 tackles and ran all day

He never fumbles. You can drill a handball at his feet under pressure and he’ll pick it up easy as you like.

Grantysghost
19-08-2019, 05:58 PM

He's been incredible since he came back from his VFL education. As a dog's supporter you naturally pull back from bold statements, however our midfield depth is unsurpassed in the league.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2019, 06:17 PM
Paul Roos has been pumping Lippa up for a while now, while most commentators have no idea who he is. As I said elsewhere, I think he'll eventually get to near Jack Macrae levels, except more goals. Like Macrae, he's not blistering fast, but his mind and reading of the play is lighting, his hands are lighting and makes good quick decisions under pressure.

We are starting to bat very, very deep in the midfield.

Ozza
19-08-2019, 06:28 PM
I love a one-grab player. Lipinski is one of those. His ability to cruise through a stoppage or congestion when there's a bit of 'pinball' happening and grab the footy and get us clear, has been huge in the second half of the season.

azabob
19-08-2019, 08:40 PM
BT so deep in fact McLean isn’t even mentioned anymore.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2019, 08:43 PM
BT so deep in fact McLean isn’t even mentioned anymore.

I'm not sure those outside our world even know Libba & Wally are out too.

Twodogs
19-08-2019, 09:07 PM
I love a one-grab player. Lipinski is one of those. His ability to cruise through a stoppage or congestion when there's a bit of 'pinball' happening and grab the footy and get us clear, has been huge in the second half of the season.

Him and Bailey Smith flicked the ball around a couple of hapless Giants players yesterday. It was magic stuff and we've got ten more years of watching it happen.

I'm not sure those outside our world even know Libba & Wally are out too.

Wally will be back soon. Probably before the end of the season. I know because professional football commentator Leigh Matthews mentioned it during the broadcast yesterday a few times. Someone on national TV wouldn't just make up bullshit stories would they?

Go_Dogs
24-08-2019, 08:24 AM
I know there's been noise around his lack of pace, but he's such a smooth mover and good runner that it's been unnoticeable to me.

Coming along very nicely.

chef
24-08-2019, 10:44 AM
Being slow doesnt matter when you are one touch and fast by hand and foot.

He may not run fast but hes quicker with his reactions and ball movement than most players in the league. Foot speed is overrated.

GVGjr
24-08-2019, 10:47 AM
Being slow doesnt matter when you are one touch and fast by hand and foot.

He may not run fast but hes quicker with his reactions and ball movement than most players in the league. Foot speed is overrated.

Sure it's great to have players with lightning quick pace but as you have rightly pointed out the other attributes you have described are more important. I know Lipinski is not a quick runner but he's making good decisions getting enough of the ball. He doesn't look slow

ratsmac
24-08-2019, 12:21 PM
Love Lippa!!

He's a very smart footballer that runs the angles well which makes up for leg speed or that lack thereof. He is slotting in nicely to our impressive midfield group. I love the ball in his hands because of his good ball use and very good decision making. And having mids like Lippa, McLean, Bontempelli and Dunkley who can also all go forward and contribute is a very handy weapon to have at your disposal.

I wouldn't swap our list for any other team in the comp!

bulldogtragic
17-04-2021, 05:31 PM
50 Games today.

EasternWest
17-04-2021, 06:05 PM
50 Games today.

Nice skills, Pat and good kid. Would like to see him make it.

bulldogtragic
17-04-2021, 09:45 PM
Nice skills, Pat and good kid. Would like to see him make it.

Thought he was really good, just not as flashy as others. Ie tonight:

15 disposals, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 3 inside 50’s, 2 rebound 50’s, 416 metres gained, 2 Goal Assists, 7 Score Involvements, over 94 minutes.

If he did that every week, I’d select him every week.

GVGjr
17-04-2021, 10:18 PM

15 disposals, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 3 inside 50’s, 2 rebound 50’s, 416 metres gained, 2 Goal Assists, 7 Score Involvements, over 94 minutes.

Hopefully it's enough for him to hold his spot. I really don't want him to be the yo-yo player.

FrediKanoute
19-04-2021, 05:07 PM

These are the stats that matter for Lippa. Given he is playing as a high half forward, these are decent numbers. A little like Scott and McNeil he did his part.

macca
19-04-2021, 05:32 PM
These are excellent numbers. If he can add few more tackles and a goal a game he be a lock . Really good to see his numbers go up. He should be proud to achieve 50 games , great effort

Ozza
19-04-2021, 05:33 PM
Have said it before, but really like how clean Lippa is. Real one grab player. And quite effective as a linking player.
He's a great runner too, so is really suited by both the wingman and high half forward roles.

Given we have mids who routinely rack up huge numbers, it would be hard for a player like Patty to acculumate big stats, hopefully he can just keep making them impactful.

bulldogtragic
16-05-2021, 11:31 AM
In 2018 & 2019 when played as a hard running forward Patty kicked 23.9, with 18 Goal Assists & 66 I’50’s. Averaged in 2018 & 2019 nearly 15 & 22 disposals, 3 & 5 marks and 2.4 & 3.6 tackles too.

I think he can play the role Scott is playing, but offer a more offensive option. I’d like to see Patty move forward and tap into his inner forward again.

mjp
16-05-2021, 02:01 PM
I’d like to see Patty move forward and tap into his inner forward again.

He certainly needs some clear direction...chook without a head springs to mind right now.

SonofScray
16-05-2021, 04:18 PM
He has played himself out of the 22 this past fortnight, I think.

angelopetraglia
10-04-2022, 10:51 AM
I knew the hype in the first round would not last with Lippa. When it gets tough and when it gets hard he just doesn’t cut it. He is definitely not a solution to our current issues besides making us more competitive at VFL level.

Last night against the Eagles he had 21 possessions from 22 centre clearance attendances for only 72m gained. Only two clearances, zero centre clearances (from 22 entries!), only six kicks.

The right decision to let him walk.

GVGjr
10-04-2022, 11:06 AM
I knew the hype in the first round would not last with Lippa. When it gets tough and when it gets hard he just doesn’t cut it. He is definitely not a solution to our current issues besides making us more competitive at VFL level.

Last night against the Eagles he had 21 possessions from 22 centre clearance attendances for only 72m gained. Only two clearances, zero centre clearances (from 22 entries!), only six kicks.

The right decision to let him walk.

I think he's been a good addition for them and I noted he had six tackles yesterday. I haven't seen the game but maybe he had a different role.

angelopetraglia
10-04-2022, 11:13 AM
I think he's been a good addition for them and I noted he had six tackles yesterday. I haven't seen the game but maybe he had a different role.

Maybe. But he wasn’t going to help us. Time will tell.

josie
10-04-2022, 11:13 AM
Right now if you asked me I’d prefer to have kept Lippy and traded Dunkley who would have given us something better at trade table eg a decent ruck or backman.

bornadog
10-04-2022, 11:40 AM
Right now if you asked me I’d prefer to have kept Lippy and traded Dunkley who would have given us something better at trade table eg a decent ruck or backman.

I don't understand the obsession by some posters with trading Dunkley. Yes his kicking isn't brilliant, but he is a great ball magnet. Yesterday, 37 disposals (10 cont), and last week 31 disposals. These players don't grow on trees and he is still only 25

GVGjr
10-04-2022, 12:00 PM
I don't understand the obsession by some posters with trading Dunkley. Yes his kicking isn't brilliant, but he is a great ball magnet. Yesterday, 37 disposals (10 cont), and last week 31 disposals. These players don't grow on trees and he is still only 25

I agree, Dunkley should be a keeper. It's not clear yet that we will get his signature though.

josie
10-04-2022, 12:01 PM

Understand your sentiment.

Dunkley’s woeful goal kicking and general poor kicking skills do my head in. We have too many slow midfielders who can find the ball. Who else can we trade to get something decent in? I wanted him to stay when Bombers almost lured him but seeing how diabolically poor and low in confidence we are, the lack of improvement and reliance on same players, lack of improvement in others and lack of depth everywhere but mids and HBF has placed me in the “who can we afford to trade that has some vale to address some of these glaring deficiencies” camp.

azabob
12-09-2022, 10:37 AM
Interestingly Nathan Buckley said Collingwood put up Pat Lipinski for all Australian selection this year.

bornadog
12-09-2022, 10:39 AM
Interestingly Nathan Buckley said Collingwood put up Pat Lipinski for all Australian selection this year.

He is a worse judge than I thought

azabob
12-09-2022, 10:41 AM
He is a worse judge than I thought

Buckley said COLLINGWOOD put him up for All Australian Selection.

bornadog
12-09-2022, 10:56 AM
Buckley said COLLINGWOOD put him up for All Australian Selection.

Ok, they are a worse judge than I thought :D

GVGjr
12-09-2022, 11:03 AM

The club obviously values his performances, good luck to him but he was struggling to hold a spot with us. It was a good move for him.

hujsh
12-09-2022, 01:02 PM
Ok, they are a worse judge than I thought :D

It's probably more a statement of how team-reliant their performance is vs our more individual-reliant performance. They don't need individual brilliance to carry them over the line and have a team of players who all know their role and perform it. That means someone who statistically would be our 5th-7th best mid is someone they can nominate for AA honours.

We rely on individual brilliance right now. Bont or Libba or Naughton need to stand up and carry our team over the line despite the deficiencies we have in structure/system and to a lesser extent personnel.

whythelongface
12-09-2022, 02:56 PM
It's probably more a statement of how team-reliant their performance is vs our more individual-reliant performance. They don't need individual brilliance to carry them over the line and have a team of players who all know their role and perform it. That means someone who statistically would be our 5th-7th best mid is someone they can nominate for AA honours.

We rely on individual brilliance right now. Bont or Libba or Naughton need to stand up and carry our team over the line despite the deficiencies we have in structure/system and to a lesser extent personnel.

Never really thought of us that way but I think you are right. We need more of that team ethos approach similar to 2016. Maybe with our newer generation coming through they form a tight bond - not only do they have star quality but more importantly work for each other in a team sense.

angelopetraglia
12-09-2022, 03:02 PM
I watched both Collingwood finals with interest. I thought he wasn't great in either. He had a few moments when in plenty of space where he used the ball well, but I also saw plenty of moments when the pressure was high that he either fumbled, didn't go hard enough or made poor decisions. This is exactly the issues that we had with him. When you are winning easily, he looks like a superstar. In a big pressure game when the pressure is high, he rarely stands up.

WBFC4FFC
12-09-2022, 05:43 PM
I watched both Collingwood finals with interest. I thought he wasn't great in either. He had a few moments when in plenty of space where he used the ball well, but I also saw plenty of moments when the pressure was high that he either fumbled, didn't go hard enough or made poor decisions. This is exactly the issues that we had with him. When you are winning easily, he looks like a superstar. In a big pressure game when the pressure is high, he rarely stands up.

2020 Finals against the Saints. Could not lay a tackle! That's not his game and he can play elsewhere on the field.

Bullies offered him a 3-yr deal don't forget.

Also, Lipinski going made it easier to get Darcy. Have to think of it in that context too.

G-Mo77
12-09-2022, 05:51 PM

He's been one of their best for most of the season and they've played in tight close contests for nearly the entire 2nd half of the season. If he was so poor he would have been dropped. He'd be perfect for us, wish we had managed to sway him to stay.

Bulldog Joe
12-09-2022, 07:56 PM
He's been one of their best for most of the season and they've played in tight close contests for nearly the entire 2nd half of the season. If he was so poor he would have been dropped. He'd be perfect for us, wish we had managed to sway him to stay.

I am reliably informed that his decision to leave was based on Bevo and the reluctance to play him.
His season justifies the decision and I certainly don't believe he would have played every game if he had stayed with us.

Grantysghost
12-09-2022, 08:14 PM
I am reliably informed that his decision to leave was based on Bevo and the reluctance to play him.
His season justifies the decision and I certainly don't believe he would have played every game if he had stayed with us.

He's a gun player.

Twodogs
12-09-2022, 08:25 PM
2020 Finals against the Saints. Could not lay a tackle! That's not his game and he can play elsewhere on the field

Played 2 finals with us and had 1 tackle in each. As you say we offered him 3 years and I'm not sure what else we could have done to convince him to stay.

I'm glad he had a good year but AA talk is a little over the top.

Grantysghost
12-09-2022, 08:30 PM
Played 2 finals with us and had 1 tackle in each. As you say we offered him 3 years and I'm not sure what else we could have done to convince him to stay.

Fourth for tackles at the Pies this season. Would've been fifth for us. Macrae 87 was fourth, Lipinski 83.

Go_Dogs
12-09-2022, 08:46 PM

He was always up against with our depth. He joined our list about 3-4 years too early based on where our core were at. Treloar trade and Bailey Smith being such a gun instantly didn’t help either.

Happy for Lipinski, right move for all involved.

azabob
12-09-2022, 08:51 PM

TD, you do realise it was his club Collingwood who nominated him for all Australian selection?

Grantysghost
12-09-2022, 09:31 PM
TD, you do realise it was his club Collingwood who nominated him for all Australian selection?

Why do clubs nominate? It's a weird system!

azabob
12-09-2022, 09:47 PM
Why do clubs nominate? It's a weird system!

Could you imagine the team the panel would come up with if clubs didn’t semi point them in the right direction?

Grantysghost
12-09-2022, 10:31 PM
Could you imagine the team the panel would come up with if clubs didn’t semi point them in the right direction?

God no.

Do they ever select players that haven't been nominated?

FrediKanoute
13-09-2022, 02:44 AM
Never really thought of us that way but I think you are right. We need more of that team ethos approach similar to 2016. Maybe with our newer generation coming through they form a tight bond - not only do they have star quality but more importantly work for each other in a team sense.

That sentiment jumped out at me on the weekend. They are so so selfless as a team it really is a pleasure to watch. Whether its enough to get them to a GF and to win it is debateable, but thre is no doubting that every time Freo threatened as a team they snuffed the threat out. There was no looking across at who else may be taking the responsibility.

The thing is if you put their best 22 against our best 22 as individual players, I'd rate our guys as better individual players.

Grantysghost
15-09-2022, 08:14 PM
Pat with the smackdown :)

https://i.postimg.cc/rFTmJ6b2/Screenshot-20220915-191131.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

MrMahatma
15-09-2022, 08:17 PM
Pat with the smackdown :)

https://i.postimg.cc/rFTmJ6b2/Screenshot-20220915-191131.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Neither are gonna win an English language comp