PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Bulldogs - Fergus Greene

Eastdog
25-11-2016, 10:06 PM
Welcome to the best club and the premiers Fergus Greene.

GVGjr
25-11-2016, 10:07 PM
A 190cm versatile forward or midfielder and is noted for his elite endurance

choconmientay
25-11-2016, 10:08 PM
Don't have anything on him :)

bulldogtragic
25-11-2016, 10:09 PM
I've been hiding him in Bendigo for the club. He's a gun.

hujsh
25-11-2016, 10:09 PM
Yeah blank slate media wise. Hopefully the club can put something up soon

LostDoggy
25-11-2016, 10:10 PM
Welcome to the Premiers Fergie:)

choconmientay
25-11-2016, 10:14 PM
http://nnimgt-a.akamaihd.net/transform/v1/crop/frm/shjDWP57NvFsN4SYJTNkJk/294245b0-79d3-4501-a1ce-4ce221af65a6.jpg/r0_0_4928_2793_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
TALENTED TEEN: CCB's Fergus Greene has played senior footy for Sandhurst in the BFNL

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-11-2016, 10:15 PM
We have really swung for the fences this draft!. They've let it rip this year!

bulldogtragic
25-11-2016, 10:16 PM
Safe bet The Bendigo Advertiser will have an online article tomorrow arvo or Sunday.

dog town
25-11-2016, 10:30 PM
Looks like he played the last three TAC Cup games and was best on ground for the Pioneers in the final round. In the best in the second last game too. Might have come on really late.

Smads57
25-11-2016, 10:33 PM
Welcome Fergus to the mighty Bulldogs. Also had a run with Williamstown Development side for one game this year.

KT31
25-11-2016, 11:00 PM
Welcome to the Premiers Fergus.
Do we have a highlight package on him ?

Twodogs
25-11-2016, 11:03 PM
Another Bendigo* boy. We are fast becoming Bendigo lite.

*sandhurst boy anyway. They can't all come from Golden Square.

dog town
25-11-2016, 11:05 PM
Do we have a highlight package on him ? They would have a package to put up at some stage I would think. If you are really keen you can watch his Sandhurst senior games online from the Bendigo League. The same league we plucked Redpath from.

bulldogtragic
26-11-2016, 12:12 AM
A snippet from The Bendigo Addy just now:

Greene wasn’t even on the Bendigo Pioneers list at the start of 2016, but his form with Sandhurst and in school football as well as his athletic attributes saw him given a chance at TAC Cup level.

Greene wasn’t invited to the national or state draft combine, but his 15.6 beep test at a rookie state testing sparked the interest of the Western Bulldogs.

Greene could play as a third forward at the next level or his running ability could see the Dogs develop him as a wingman.

Sedat
26-11-2016, 12:15 AM
They would have a package to put up at some stage I would think.
The Dogs have just posted one on twitter.

GVGjr
26-11-2016, 12:19 AM
A snippet from The Bendigo Addy just now:

Greene wasn’t even on the Bendigo Pioneers list at the start of 2016, but his form with Sandhurst and in school football as well as his athletic attributes saw him given a chance at TAC Cup level.

Greene wasn’t invited to the national or state draft combine, but his 15.6 beep test at a rookie state testing sparked the interest of the Western Bulldogs.

Greene could play as a third forward at the next level or his running ability could see the Dogs develop him as a wingman.

He is noted for his competitive nature and it's a quality we rate.

As a side note, it wouldn't surprise me if someone is groomed as a defender in their 1st season like what we did with Lukas Webb

comrade
26-11-2016, 07:33 AM
The highlights package on the WB website is pretty exciting. Looks a great size, very capable overhead and with a semi-Ethiopian beep test result, I can see him playing midfield.

hujsh
26-11-2016, 10:49 AM
Maybe a future Crameri replacement with his hard running?

LostDoggy
26-11-2016, 02:44 PM
Never heard of him before his name was called out but gee there looks a lot to work with. Strong overhead, exceptional beep test and competitive nature is a very good combination of ingredients.

bulldogtragic
27-11-2016, 09:59 PM
The day after the draft, a mate of his took a photo of him running up the streets up here (posting it on Twitter) & asking him why he couldn't be driving now he's an AFL listed player (ie. Has good money coming now).

A) Nice joke.
B) The kid could've had a relaxing day at home enjoying the moment. But he was out running. I like what this says about his attitude.

bulldogtragic
27-11-2016, 10:28 PM
Bendigo Advertiser:

Fergus Greene has climbed his way from the bottom of the pack to a berth on the Western Bulldogs list.

Two years ago Fergus Greene was dropped from the Sandhurst under-18 team.

On Monday, he’ll shake hands with Luke Beveridge and Bob Murphy and start his AFL career with the reigning premiers the Western Bulldogs.

Greene, who was selected by the Bulldogs with pick 70 of Friday night’s AFL national draft, is a self-confessed “late developer” when it comes to footy.

Despite his family’s strong football links – his father Chris is a Sandhurst great in the BFNL and his uncle Brendan Hartney played with Carlton in the VFL and went on to win the Michelsen Medal in the BFNL twice with the Dragons – footy wasn’t Greene’s number one love when it came to sport.

“Basketball was my favourite sport growing up because I wasn’t that good at footy,’’ Greene said.

“I made one BJFL representative side in the under-14s or 15s, but to be honest I probably shouldn’t have been in it. I wasn’t good enough.

“In my first year of under-18s I played the first game and then was dropped for the next two games. It was a real struggle for me.

“I played the fourth game and hardly got a kick. I thought I was going to get dropped again.

“I played a game on permit for YCW (Loddon Valley Football League) and thought seriously about just playing out there.

“Thankfully, I started to improve and things turned around for me with Sandhurst.”

By the end of the season Greene was a star of the competition. He kicked five goals in the under-18 grand final to guide the Dragons to victory over Gisborne.

Just when his footy career started to gather momentum, a navicular bone injury skittled his 2015 season.

After a long recovery, Greene played four senior games with Sandhurst early in 2016 before a best on ground performance in a school football match for Catholic College changed his destiny.

“I just wanted to get through a year of footy this year after the injuries I had,’’ Greene admitted.

“We (CCB) played a school footy game against Bendigo Senior Secondary College and half the Pioneers team were on the Bendigo Senior team. I played okay and we won.

“After that Sharpy (Bendigo Pioneers talent manager Steve Sharp) and Hendo (then Pioneers coach Brett Henderson) asked me to play with the Pioneers as an over-age player. I jumped at the opportunity because I knew I wouldn’t get that chance again.

“I only played five games, which was disappointing, because injuries held me back. I’m glad I got the chance because I might not have got drafted otherwise.”

It was the final TAC Cup game that Greene played which raised the eyebrows of AFL club recruiters.

He kicked three goals, had 10 possessions and took five marks to be the Pioneers best player against Gippsland.

“After my last game with the Pioneers the Gold Coast got in contact with Mum and Dad,’’ Greene said.

“I had a meeting with them and then the Wednesday after the BFNL grand final I had a meeting with Geelong.

“I had a meeting with the Western Bulldogs after my exams finished.”

Three other clubs also showed interest in the athletic forward, but no promises were made ahead of the national draft.

“It was all pretty intense, but I still thought I wasn’t much of a chance because it wasn’t as if the clubs were having six or seven meetings with me like they do with other players,’’ Greene said.

“On draft night I tried not to get too worked up and kept telling myself that it doesn’t matter if I don’t get picked, but when my name got called out it was just unbelievable.”

Western Bulldogs assistant coach Rohan Smith was the first person from the club to contact Greene.

“I really didn’t know what to say. It must have been a hard conversation for Rohan because I probably wasn’t making much sense,’’ Greene said.

Bulldogs’ players, including another Bendigo product Jake Stringer, have contatcted Greene over the weekend to congratulate him.

“It’s been pretty amazing to get all the messages,’’ he said.

“I can’t wait to get down there and be part of the club.”
He doesn’t have to wait long.

Greene heads to the Whitten Oval on Monday for a tour of the facilities and to collect his Bulldogs apparel.

Pre-season training for the draftees starts on Tuesday. Greene will live with Bulldogs premiership player Josh Dunkley for the first few weeks before moving in with a host family.

“It’s still hard to believe that this is happening,’’ Greene said.

“It’s a great opportunity.”

bulldogtragic
27-11-2016, 10:32 PM
^^^^^

So 6 clubs were into him enough to interview him. Not so much the smoky after all.

GVGjr
27-11-2016, 10:50 PM
^^^^^

So 6 clubs were into him enough to interview him. Not so much the smoky after all.

Sounds like we knew he wouldn't be available for our rookie list spot.

comrade
27-11-2016, 10:57 PM
A great thing about late picks is that they generally work their tails off and have a deep sense of gratitude towards the club for giving them an opportunity - see Dahl and JJ as prime examples.

Bulldog Revolution
27-11-2016, 11:08 PM
Interesting - looks a great mark, and thats a seriously impressive beep test

Welcome Fergus

Twodogs
27-11-2016, 11:09 PM
Ah. Sandhurst is it? Ah well.

He seems nice anyway.

LostDoggy
28-11-2016, 08:17 AM
Great to read about Bubba and players contacting him before he even gets to the club. Must be a great feeling to feel so welcomed. Some older AFL players have written about how intimidating entering a club can be and how hard it can be to feel part of the main group. We are doing so much right at present.

I wonder if Bubba being the first to contact him indicates that we have him earmarked primarily as a potential defender?

Templeton31
28-11-2016, 09:26 AM
Great to read about Bubba and players contacting him before he even gets to the club. Must be a great feeling to feel so welcomed. Some older AFL players have written about how intimidating entering a club can be and how hard it can be to feel part of the main group. We are doing so much right at present.

I wonder if Bubba being the first to contact him indicates that we have him earmarked primarily as a potential defender?

Bubba's development coach now so makes sense he be first on board rather than defence link.

Mofra
28-11-2016, 10:14 AM
A great thing about late picks is that they generally work their tails off and have a deep sense of gratitude towards the club for giving them an opportunity - see Dahl and JJ as prime examples.
I'd back our record with late picks over any other club in the competition.

Morris, JJ, Matty Boyd, Dahlhaus, Picken as rookie picks. Biggs a former rookie who was virtually a freebie trade - all premiership players.
Former rookies like Campbell, Suckling, Crameri, Roarke Smith on the list.
Roberts as a PSD pick.
Hamling a DFA.
Cordy as a late pick, Hunter and Wood 3rd rounders.

We nailed the 2010 draft every other club fluffed.

Twodogs
28-11-2016, 02:56 PM
I'd back our record with late picks over any other club in the competition.

Morris, JJ, Matty Boyd, Dahlhaus, Picken as rookie picks. Biggs a former rookie who was virtually a freebie trade - all premiership players.
Former rookies like Campbell, Suckling, Crameri, Roarke Smith on the list.
Roberts as a PSD pick.
Hamling a DFA.
Cordy as a late pick, Hunter and Wood 3rd rounders.

We nailed the 2010 draft every other club fluffed.

David Swallow.:D

Twodogs
28-11-2016, 03:02 PM
Speaking of 2010 I was having a look at which clubs our delistings ended up at and I found this;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Haste

Is that Shane Thorne?

GVGjr
28-11-2016, 08:11 PM
Could Greene be used as a winger? A 15 - 6 beep test is outstanding, you want him in a position over time that can utilise that strength

comrade
28-11-2016, 08:13 PM
Could Greene be used as a winger? A 15 - 6 beep test is outstanding, you want him in a position over time that can utilise that strength

For sure, no reason why he can't be developed like that at Footscray. The beauty of having our own team.

Bulldog Revolution
28-11-2016, 10:21 PM

Spectacular beep - nice that Dalrymple told him to continue to work as hard as he had to achieve that

LostDoggy
29-11-2016, 08:37 AM

With a good leap and strong overhead, an intercept/rebounding back flanker looks a good possibility for him also. Reckon he'll be given a good go in all at Footscray, will be interesting to keep tabs on his progress.

Mofra
29-11-2016, 12:19 PM
Speaking of 2010 I was having a look at which clubs our delistings ended up at and I found this;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Haste

Is that Shane Thorne?
Birth name: Shane Veryzer

Unless Shane Throne has tripled in size and transformed from Aboriginal to caucasian, I'm guessing it's unlikely.

Happy Days
29-11-2016, 04:03 PM

Unless Shane Throne has tripled in size and transformed from Aboriginal to caucasian, I'm guessing it's unlikely.

That's definitely *a* Shane Thorne, but not *that* Shane Thorne; this one is a wrestler in WWE's NXT, and a pretty good one too! Bet he's far more diligent in his rehab as well.

bornadog
29-11-2016, 06:58 PM
Spectacular beep - nice that Dalrymple told him to continue to work as hard as he had to achieve that

I like the way he ran 10 to 15k each 3 times a week to help him achieve that.

Twodogs
29-11-2016, 07:15 PM

HD is right and it's a different Shane Thorne. If you google Shane Thorne afl the wiki entry redirects to wrestling or fighting Shane Thorne

That's definitely *a* Shane Thorne, but not *that* Shane Thorne; this one is a wrestler in WWE's NXT, and a pretty good one too! Bet he's far more diligent in his rehab as well.

Scorlibo
29-11-2016, 08:31 PM
Seems to have great character and an excellent fitness base, he could feature as soon as next season if things can click for him on the field.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-11-2016, 12:08 AM
He speaks very well, seems quite assured and confident.

Will watch his progress with interest.

bornadog
26-07-2018, 08:51 PM
Greene to debut in red, white and blue

Ferfus Greene will become the 5th debutant for 2018 season when he lines up against Port Adelaide at Mars Stadium in Ballarat on Sunday.

The 20-year-old from Bendigo will get his chance to impress after some strong form in the VFL in recent weeks.

Greene joins Brad Lynch, Aaron Naughton, Ed Richards and Billy Gowers to have pulled on the red, white and blue for their first AFL game this season.

A skilful endurance athlete with a knack for kicking goals, Greene has booted seven majors in his last two games at VFL level, and has 18 goals in 14 appearances so far this season.

He has averaged two goals per game for Footscray in the last seven weeks, and has recorded multiple goals on six occasions this year.
Greene is in his second season at VU Whitten Oval after being taken with pick 70 in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft.

He played eight games for Footscray in his debut season in 2017, kicking 11 goals

Twodogs
26-07-2018, 08:52 PM
At last! Good luck young fella!

bulldogtragic
26-07-2018, 08:55 PM
5 goals on debut and a rising star nomination. Called it first.

Mofra
27-07-2018, 10:11 AM
Might be tough going as a forward for us now but he has a tank, good luck to the kid.

Ozza
27-07-2018, 03:55 PM
Might be tough going as a forward for us now but he has a tank, good luck to the kid.

Knows where the goals are, will only need a few decent chances.

Axe Man
27-07-2018, 03:59 PM
5 goals on debut and a rising star nomination. Called it first.

Would be overlooked for <insert expansion team player here>

bulldogtragic
12-08-2018, 10:07 PM
Serious question, based on three games limited exposure, is Fergus our most natural forward on our entire list with the exception of maybe Dickson?

He runs to right places, leads and presents well, has a burst of speed & aerobic capacity, has good hands, tackles (av. 3.3 tackles a game), knows how to use and turn his body, touches it enough for a young slight forward (av. 10 disposals a game) averages nearly 5 marks a game - mostly inside 50 - when these are few and far between this year!! He's got a goal in each game, and today generated 6 shots at goal for 1.4 and despite that has a beautiful set shot routine but for long and tight shots today could've been the rising star and also had 8 score involvements today. I can't remember too many forwards in recent years who can boast such natural traits and encouraging results, in spite of some horrid kicking towards him by our mids and poor conditions in Ballarat to debut.

It feels like a stupid question, with a second year player in his third game, but is he our most natural forward on the list (baring Dickson who may retire)?

ledge
12-08-2018, 10:17 PM
Anyone seen his happy dance in the locker room after the game , it’s hilarious . Saw it on Facebook.

bulldogtragic
12-08-2018, 10:18 PM
Anyone seen his happy dance in the locker room after the game , it’s hilarious . Saw it on Facebook.

You can't do that! :D

Link please...

Happy Days
12-08-2018, 10:55 PM
Absolutely incredible back half of the season - shouldn't really be surprised he came from nowhere.

I've seen Gowers be compared to Tom Lynch on here but I think it's much more applicable to Fergus.

Doc26
12-08-2018, 11:31 PM
Serious question, based on three games limited exposure, is Fergus our most natural forward on our entire list with the exception of maybe Dickson?

He runs to right places, leads and presents well, has a burst of speed & aerobic capacity, has good hands, tackles (av. 3.3 tackles a game), knows how to use and turn his body, touches it enough for a young slight forward (av. 10 disposals a game) averages nearly 5 marks a game - mostly inside 50 - when these are few and far between this year!! He's got a goal in each game, and today generated 6 shots at goal for 1.4 and despite that has a beautiful set shot routine but for long and tight shots today could've been the rising star and also had 8 score involvements today. I can't remember too many forwards in recent years who can boast such natural traits and encouraging results, in spite of some horrid kicking towards him by our mids and poor conditions in Ballarat to debut.

It feels like a stupid question, with a second year player in his third game, but is he our most natural forward on the list (baring Dickson who may retire)?

I’m only half jokingly referring to him as “Bernie” at the game.

Although unfortunately today the “Superboot” tag was struggling to hold up with young Fergus’s inaccuracy.

EasternWest
12-08-2018, 11:32 PM

I like Fergus, but I think the 20 game rule should apply either way.

jeemak
12-08-2018, 11:57 PM
I loved the way he presented at and away from the carrier, and some of the spring in his timing for marks was outstanding. He looks to be the type of player who takes the footy at the highest possible point.

boydogs
13-08-2018, 12:01 AM

Redpath leads pretty well. Schache knows what he is doing. Dickson as you mentioned. Gowers is good too

He's leading to tough spots to kick goals from so his kicking has to really be on to convert

bornadog
13-08-2018, 12:03 AM
Must nail those goals.

Happy Days
13-08-2018, 12:11 AM
Must nail those goals.

Obvious but good point - also didn't like how pronounced his "arch" seemed to get on his last two shots.

bornadog
13-08-2018, 12:17 AM
Obvious but good point - also didn't like how pronounced his "arch" seemed to get on his last two shots.

Played a great game today, love the way he moves too.

azabob
13-08-2018, 07:29 AM

On a positive note he admitted after the game he needs to work on his goal kicking.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2018, 09:44 AM

Absolutely on the 20 game rule, although I’m thinking more along his natural/instinctual forward craft. He seems to have a very high footy IQ, something that stands out a bit.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-08-2018, 09:54 AM
On a positive note he admitted after the game he needs to work on his goal kicking.

To be fair to Fergus, a lot of his shots yesterday were on tight angles. That last one though was probably one that he should have nailed. But it's not like it was the easiest shot in the world and he did nail a very similar one earlier.

Mofra
13-08-2018, 10:13 AM
I’m only half jokingly referring to him as “Bernie” at the game.

Although unfortunately today the “Superboot” tag was struggling to hold up with young Fergus’s inaccuracy.
In fairness to Greene, 3 of his shots were low percentage chances and he got close with a couple.

I'm not sure if 'natural' is the word I'd use - he never really entered an elite system until he was drafted from the clouds. I just think he's been well drilled, a coachable sort who just does what is asked of him and after two years of hard work is just starting to get rewarded. He has the speed and his hands are sticky enough to put him in the frame for a round 1 2019 berth as well ahead of more highly rated players (B Dale).

azabob
13-08-2018, 10:18 AM
To be fair to Fergus, a lot of his shots yesterday were on tight angles. That last one though was probably one that he should have nailed. But it's not like it was the easiest shot in the world and he did nail a very similar one earlier.

To be fair to Fergus he also said his leading patterns need to improve so he isn’t on such tight angles. Good footy IQ indeed.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2018, 10:18 AM

Pretty much how I saw it too. He didn't miss the basic 30m on a slight angle shots his team mates have been missing. His routine looks good though. Once we are not clogging up the space at 30m out with 4 forwards and 4 defenders, he might not have to lead as wide to get a mark hopefully. He knows how to get the marks inside 50 which is a good starting point for a young, lean kid.

mjp
13-08-2018, 10:24 AM
It is actually just fun to cheer for someone called 'FERGUS'. Even when he makes a mistake, he is still 'FERGUS'.

Just saying his name out loud makes me smile.

bornadog
13-08-2018, 10:25 AM
It is actually just fun to cheer for someone called 'FERGUS'. Even when he makes a mistake, he is still 'FERGUS'.

Just saying his name out loud makes me smile.

haha, that is what I was thinking at the game yesterday. :D

kruder
13-08-2018, 10:52 AM
Redpath leads pretty well. Schache knows what he is doing. Dickson as you mentioned. Gowers is good too

He's leading to tough spots to kick goals from so his kicking has to really be on to convert

Yeah we seem to have found a few haven't we? What we need now is some continuity please Bevo;)

kruder
13-08-2018, 11:00 AM
Greene spoke really well on Fox after the game. He just looked a little nervous on the set shots yesterday but with a solid technique once he is a little more comfortable at the level things will turn. A natural forward, long reach and a good endurance athlete seems like a nice little recipe to me.

Ozza
13-08-2018, 11:35 AM
I'm not necessarily disputing BT's suggestion of Greene's 'natural forward' status - I certainly found myself saying yesterday that he IS a natural forward.

One thing I noticed yesterday (and we all saw the outcome) is that he lead to the pockets which gives you a better opportunity to get onto the end of I50 passes, as the defender will always give you boundary side as a starting point. The kid is 3 games in, so some time and coaching should hopefully see his craft develop where he is able to find ways to mark in better positions, because he has the makings of a nice set shot goal kicker if he can get higher % shots. More cohesion amongst the forward group should help that also.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-08-2018, 11:35 AM
To be fair to Fergus he also said his leading patterns need to improve so he isn’t on such tight angles. Good footy IQ indeed.

I'm just happy we had someone leading :D

Could it be though that that is his directive? You want lead patterns in all different directions to draw out the extra defender. Perhaps Schache is the main target who will lead up the middle and Fergus was told to offer the shorter leads in the pocket. Similar to how NFL receivers will run their routes. 3 forwards leading to the same part of the ground will end badly.

Axe Man
13-08-2018, 12:34 PM

Yet he got called to play on whilst doing it. Buddy of course can run 10 metres off the mark and it's his natural arc. Fergus needs to let the umpires know it's his natural arc as well. Or just run in straight.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-08-2018, 12:48 PM
Showing some nice signs.

I like his pace and agility and he's also got an impressive spring in his step with long arms.

There's a bit to work with here.

GVGjr
13-08-2018, 12:59 PM
Showing some nice signs.

I like his pace and agility and he's also got an impressive spring in his step with long arms.

There's a bit to work with here.

I like that he can mark the ball at full stretch or at the highest point. Hopefully in time he will catch defenders out with his athleticism.

Twodogs
13-08-2018, 03:26 PM

I've been meaning to ask, does the clock tick over again for Josh Scasche? Because he's already played 20+ games at Brisbane should we be expecting him to be kicking ten goals a game like Jack Rievoldt?

EasternWest
13-08-2018, 03:33 PM
I've been meaning to ask, does the clock tick over again for Josh Scasche? Because he's already played 20+ games at Brisbane should we be expecting him to be kicking ten goals a game like Jack Rievoldt?

Were there question marks over Josh? I think high draft picks are naturally given a greater game period by virtue of their status.

Either way, Josh is doing just fine and I couldn't be happier with him.

GVGjr
13-08-2018, 04:19 PM

Just on Schache, next year he will most likely chalk up the 50 games mark. We will have a few players coming through with that type of experience behind them. Hopefully Greene might be around the 15 game make by the end of next season.

Bulldog4life
13-08-2018, 04:23 PM
You can't do that! :D

Link please...

https://twitter.com/MelPalling

EasternWest
13-08-2018, 04:24 PM
Ha ha kid's got moves.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2018, 05:20 PM
https://twitter.com/MelPalling

Ha ha kid's got moves.

I think he'll do alright at the night clubs. Do they still call them night clubs?

EasternWest
13-08-2018, 06:44 PM
I think he'll do alright at the night clubs. Do they still call them night clubs?

As far as I know they're called schwizz blooters now.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2018, 06:53 PM
Schwizz Blooters you say. Huh. Kids today with their silly naming stuff, and their loud music, their Dan Fogelberg, their zima, hula hoops and pac-man video games. Well, Fergus will do alright at schwizz blooters too by that video.

Twodogs
14-08-2018, 11:59 AM
And the yo-yos. You can't forget yo-yos.

They do tricks with them these days you know?

bulldogsthru&thru
14-08-2018, 10:23 PM
Just signed till the end of 2019

http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-08-14/fergus-greene-resigns

bulldogtragic
14-08-2018, 10:32 PM
Just signed till the end of 2019

http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-08-14/fergus-greene-resigns

So you’re saying my bump of this thread resulted in his contract extension?

BT, you magnificent bastard, you’ve done it again.

EasternWest
14-08-2018, 10:45 PM
So you’re saying my bump of this thread resulted in his contract extension?

BT, you magnificent bastard, you’ve done it again.

I can see the cheersquad sign already "bulldogtragic our mastermind".

Eastdog
14-08-2018, 11:16 PM
Great news. Been really impressed with Fergus since his debut at AFL level. Looks very good up forward.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2018, 11:25 PM

Recycling the Rohder one with a black felt pen, a magic marker. Prophetic and thrifty. I like it.

Twodogs
15-08-2018, 12:19 PM

I would believe that before the one about Peter Rohde.

I think we should take Fergus to the schwizz blooter and celebrate his resigning.

EasternWest
15-08-2018, 12:20 PM
I would believe that before the one about Peter Rohde.

In BT we trust?

Twodogs
15-08-2018, 12:21 PM
In BT we trust?

Oh yeah, with that Masonic one eyed triangle thingy staring out at us.

josie
15-08-2018, 03:56 PM
Good news re Fergus until end next year. Should give him more confidence in his abilities - which look pretty damn good at this early stage of his career. Go Fergus!!

azabob
16-08-2018, 11:09 AM
Prudent list management.

Gut feel suggests under the old regime he may have got a two year deal.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2018, 09:02 PM
5 games to round the year out. Averaging 1.1 . Leads well. Has good endurance. Has good marking hand and handballing hands. Has a good shimmy, a nice looking set shot action.

With a strong preseason, here's looking to to Fergus in 2019.

Bulldog Joe
27-08-2018, 10:35 AM
5 games to round the year out. Averaging 1.1 . Leads well. Has good endurance. Has good marking hand and handballing hands. Has a good shimmy, a nice looking set shot action.

With a strong preseason, here's looking to to Fergus in 2019.

I would say Fergus needs a big pre-season and seriously needs to add some strength.

At the moment he gets pulled down basically every time he is under physical pressure. Improve that and he could become extremely dangerous.

bulldogtragic
27-08-2018, 01:53 PM
I would say Fergus needs a big pre-season and seriously needs to add some strength.

At the moment he gets pulled down basically every time he is under physical pressure. Improve that and he could become extremely dangerous.

For sure. I'm guessing that's going to be a strong focus over the preseason. I wasn't sure he'd play the balance of the 5 games to end the season, but that he did and showed glimpses in all of them is encouraging for him. Now to hit the gym.

ledge
27-08-2018, 05:28 PM
Another one of his dances doing the rounds, the guys one weird unit. Wearing a coloured mankini it looks like.
Funny stuff.

Hotdog60
20-06-2020, 10:24 PM
Stumble on this article from the 8th May and thought I would post it as we haven't heard much from Fergus.

Western Bulldogs forward Fergus Greene pumped up for 2020 season

https://nnimgt-a.akamaihd.net/transform/v1/crop/frm/shjDWP57NvFsN4SYJTNkJk/2487a5e1-fb65-4009-9ede-e79f880b7f41.jpg/r0_0_4211_3342_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

After 12 months of frustration, Fergus Greene is hopeful there's light at the end of the tunnel.

The Western Bulldogs forward had his 2019 season skittled by a shoulder injury and he was primed for a big 2020 before COVID-19 put footy on hold.

Life in lockdown for the best part of two months has only enhanced the footy appetite of the former Sandhurst and Bendigo Pioneers forward.

"I rediscovered the passion and love for the game last year when I was watching the boys go on a really good run to the finals,'' Greene said.

"It was hard knowing I couldn't be a part of it.

"I had a really big push this season to try and get into the side. It's been frustrating to have the start of this season taken away, but we're all in the same boat and we have to live with it.

"I really want to hang around and be part of the club for a long time, so I've got a drive there to do well."

Greene, 22, showed great signs for the Dogs in five senior games late in 2018.

That form earned him a one-year extension on his contract, which expires at the end of 2020.

The shoulder injury last year didn't allow him to add to his five matches.

The injury forced him to start pre-season training a little later than his team-mates, but he put in the hard yards and completed all of the sessions post-Christmas until a slight calf injury on the eve of the season put paid to any hopes he had of playing in the senior side against Collingwood in round one.

"For me, personally, this is a big year for me because I need to perform well to get a new contract, so that's been my big personal motivator," he said.

That's been Greene's driving force during lockdown.

Training in pairs has its challenges, but Greene has tried to stay positive.

"I live near Lin Jong, so I've been doing a fair bit of training with him,'' Greene said.

"We have a similar fitness base, so it's been nice to do a lot of the workload with him.

"There's a few other guys that live in the area close to Footscray, so we've changed things up a bit just to keep our minds relatively fresh.

"The uncertainty of when we're going back has its challenges. Everyone is pretty optimistic that we're going to get a season in, so that does put a pep in our step.

"My body feels good at the moment, touch wood.

"It was a frustrating year last year...hopefully I get a clean run this year.

"There's no niggles at the moment, so I'd like to get a short pre-season in and then head into the season up and running."

Greene said the biggest challenge during lockdown has been maintaining his skills - particularly by foot.

"There's been sessions where you can't find someone to train with and you run by yourself and you find yourself kicking the ball and chasing it like you did when you were five years old,'' he said.

"Luckily, I live with my brother (Seb) and I've been able to train with him, but even he did a calf right at the start of quarantine, so I lost him for a while.

"The hardest aspect has been working on kicking, but when we get back (to the club) I think everyone will be in the same boat.

"It might take a bit for players to get their touch back, but considering we did a lot of work before isolation I'm confident we'll all adapt pretty well."

Lockdown hasn't just been about footy training for Greene.

He's enrolled in a financial marketing course to "keep the brain ticking over".

"I've brought out a few old video games as well and NBA2K has been getting a good run,'' Greene said.

"We can't play golf, so a few of the boys have downloaded a (golf) game on the PS4 and we play that every few nights.

"I'm no good at real golf, but I enjoy it. I picked it up at the start of this year and I found it really relaxing.

"A few of the other boys are pretty handy at it, so I have to pick my crowd if I want to win."

The Bulldogs have had lockdown to mull over their poor performance against Collingwood in round one.

After entering the season-opener with plenty of confidence, the Dogs were outclassed by the Magpies.

"We didn't speak too much about the game because by the Monday after the game we were told we had to leave the club,'' Greene said.

"We lost the elimination final (last year) to the Giants and got outbodied a lot and pushed around physically. Over the pre-season we worked a lot on making sure that didn't happen again.

"Against Collingwood in round one we didn't send the message we wanted.

"Come round two, I'm sure Bevo (coach Luke Beveridge) will have the boys fit and firing and ready to put the foot forward that we wanted to do in round one."

LINK (https://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/6750156/fergus-greene-primed-for-afl-return/)

bornadog
21-06-2020, 12:02 AM
I can't see him cracking another game?

Bulldog Joe
21-06-2020, 12:04 AM

Pretty hard to put forward his case in the current environment.

bornadog
21-06-2020, 12:05 AM
Pretty hard to put forward his case in the current environment.

Yeah that's what I mean, unless he can pile on some goals in the scratch matches.

soupman
21-06-2020, 12:37 AM
Well if we continue to run with the 3 medium leading/marking forwards setup (currently boasting Lloyd, Dale and Wallis) then he fits that mould and could be a chance. I've really liked the glimpses we have seen, even if they have been very limited.

GVGjr
21-06-2020, 12:43 AM
I think he has talent but he is fighting the likes of Lloyd, Dale, Wallis, Gowers, Dickson, Weightman and Cavarra for a couple of spots

The concern for me now is his acknowledgement that his kicking skills might have diminished, Previously he had a good goal kicking action but with mixed results and he now really needs to be nearly as good as Dickson with his conversions

As BAD mentioned, he might need a few things to go his way to force his way in.
His running capacity was always good so could he potentially move into a more midfield role?

soupman
21-06-2020, 12:47 AM
His running capacity was always good so could he potentially move into a more midfield role?

Not really a natural accumulator though. He's actually quite similar to Bailey Dale, who represents his biggest competition.

The Doctor
21-06-2020, 07:36 AM

If he's fit and doing the right things at training then why not? Here is the production levels of the small/medium forwards currently ahead of him over the past 4 games (incl elimination final 2019)

Sam Lloyd 1 goal
Bailey Dale 0 goals
Billy Gowers 0 goals
Ben Cavarra 1 goal
Mitch Wallis 2 goals
Tory Dickson 0 goals

Disposal counts on all of them are fairly low as well. These guys aren't exactly setting the world on fire.

josie
21-06-2020, 09:57 AM
I am a fan of Fergus. Injuries have cruelled him of opportunities. I had suggested weightman or west and lippi in for Dale and Lloyd. Hearing Dunkley might be out why not also give Fergus another go?

GVGjr
21-06-2020, 10:12 AM
I am a fan of Fergus. Injuries have cruelled him of opportunities. I had suggested weightman or west and lippi in for Dale and Lloyd. Hearing Dunkley might be out why not also give Fergus another go?

I think West just needs some more time to recover from his injury, Weightman will be close and Lipinski was unlucky to miss on Friday night

I really like what all 3 offer us as forwards and that in itself is a problem from Greene

Training form aside as Doc mentioned at the moment Greene is probably more of a question mark than an answer and without reserves games he's going to need some luck

bornadog
21-06-2020, 11:17 AM
If he's fit and doing the right things at training then why not? Here is the production levels of the small/medium forwards currently ahead of him over the past 4 games (incl elimination final 2019)

Sam Lloyd 1 goal
Bailey Dale 0 goals
Billy Gowers 0 goals
Ben Cavarra 1 goal
Mitch Wallis 2 goals
Tory Dickson 0 goals

Disposal counts on all of them are fairly low as well. These guys aren't exactly setting the world on fire.

That is pretty damning evidence. We need to change it up, and perhaps a Greene can be given a go.

Grantysghost
21-06-2020, 12:30 PM

Sam Lloyd 1 goal
Bailey Dale 0 goals
Billy Gowers 0 goals
Ben Cavarra 1 goal
Mitch Wallis 2 goals
Tory Dickson 0 goals

I reckon the tackle count from these guys would be equally depressing.
Edit here are the numbers games in parentheses :

Sam Lloyd 9 (3)
Bailey Dale 1 (3)
Gowers 1 (1)
Cavarra 1 (1)
Wallis 5 (3)
Dickson NA

Lloyd at least bringing that side of his game.

azabob
21-06-2020, 01:21 PM

Sam Lloyd 1 goal
Bailey Dale 0 goals
Billy Gowers 0 goals
Ben Cavarra 1 goal
Mitch Wallis 2 goals
Tory Dickson 0 goals

I thought Dale kicked a goal Friday night?

josie
21-06-2020, 02:11 PM
Agree Gvg. Greene is possibly 1 medium term injury away from the delisting cliff. Good luck Fergus-I like watching you play.

GVGjr
21-06-2020, 02:32 PM
I thought Dale kicked a goal Friday night?

He sure did

Twodogs
21-06-2020, 08:16 PM
He sure did

He kicked goal number 6 (I have a habit of listing the goalkickers in my head and running through them over and over) between Richards and Libba's goals. But to counter that there was that awful effort from 7 metres out when his foot hit the ground instead of the ball while he tried to kick it around the corner. He should have just gone back and kicked through the ball. The angle wasn't that severe.

The Doctor
21-06-2020, 11:32 PM

Sam Lloyd 1 goal
Bailey Dale 1 goals
Billy Gowers 0 goals
Ben Cavarra 1 goal
Mitch Wallis 2 goals
Tory Dickson 0 goals

edited for accuracy, it's still shit

jeemak
21-06-2020, 11:33 PM
He kicked goal number 6 (I have a habit of listing the goalkickers in my head and running through them over and over) between Richards and Libba's goals. But to counter that there was that awful effort from 7 metres out when his foot hit the ground instead of the ball while he tried to kick it around the corner. He should have just gone back and kicked through the ball. The angle wasn't that severe.

Yeah but you're old school and you just don't understand football fashion you dinosaur. :)

Twodogs
22-06-2020, 11:26 AM
Yeah but you're old school and you just don't understand football fashion you dinosaur. :)

Yep the old school when players could kick straight!

Gordon Coventry would have kicked that one ten times out of ten.

Hotdog60
22-06-2020, 06:57 PM
Yep the old school when players could kick straight!

Gordon Coventry would have kicked that one ten times out of ten.

With Ankle boots on too

ratsmac
22-06-2020, 09:42 PM
With this covid 19 going on I think everyone on the list is a chance to play. Look at the drug cheats, they may be forced to play what ever 22 players they can muster up. So be ready Ferg you could be called upon at any given moment. I loved what he brought to the team at the end of 2018 so I hope he does get another chance at senior level.

1eyedog
22-06-2020, 11:47 PM

Sam Lloyd 1 goal
Bailey Dale 0 goals
Billy Gowers 0 goals
Ben Cavarra 1 goal
Mitch Wallis 2 goals
Tory Dickson 0 goals

Dale has kicked a goal, but yeah...