PDA

View Full Version : Our New Jumper.

Dancin' Douggy
30-11-2016, 06:37 PM
Hi all,
I'm not very happy with our new jumper.
The stripes are too low and too thin.

The red stripe is supposed to be right up under the armpits.

(INSERT GLORIOUS PORTRAIT OF EJ IN TRADITIONAL KIT)

Why do people keep meddling with a classic beautiful guernsey?

Having the stripes around your belly button just looks lame.

Imagine the Carlton crest down on their belly buttons, it would look awful, that's what it's like to me.

****I can never ever ever seem to upload an image on woof. No matter how much I shrink it down to tiny blurry thumbnail, it always tells me it's too big. I was trying to load a picture of EJ in the classic kit. It's also the reason I've never put a picture on my profile. Help anyone????

bornadog
30-11-2016, 07:09 PM
The colours have changed dramatically as well over the years. The blue has been all shades, not sure why we can't get it right.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/71c11afd41a08bb75bf87faa68d318e5?width=1024

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
30-11-2016, 07:52 PM
I agree too aqua, stripes too low and too thin

Cyberdoggie
30-11-2016, 10:32 PM
Yeah now that I have seen it i'm not impressed. Also it may just be the young kids being so skinny but they ones they were wearing were very loose, no way you could play with those.

The blue is too light.

The hoops too low and too thin

Perhaps they just rushed in their designs but if you add that ugly grey polo then the results aren't positive for asics.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-12-2016, 09:31 AM
DD I agree that the stripes are better higher; they are meant to impress by making the chest seem superhero size.
Too low and it's more like an athletics top.

Murphy'sLore
01-12-2016, 11:11 AM
It's not very flattering having the stripes around the tum area. Should be more of an empire line, right up under the bust!

Bulldog4life
01-12-2016, 11:17 AM
Yeah now that I have seen it i'm not impressed. Also it may just be the young kids being so skinny but they ones they were wearing were very loose, no way you could play with those.

The blue is too light.

The hoops too low and too thin

Perhaps they just rushed in their designs but if you add that ugly grey polo then the results aren't positive for asics.

According to the email I received ...which I have also posted in another thread...they say "The Club designs and chooses the colours".

Ozza
01-12-2016, 11:43 AM
Loved last years - don't like this years' blue.

Dancin' Douggy
01-12-2016, 12:22 PM
Is it too late to do anything about it?

The Pie Man
01-12-2016, 12:29 PM
Is it too late to do anything about it?

It shouldn't be - and I agree with everyone here, it looks weird. Especially seeing the draftees pose in it. Should be a pretty easy fix.

Is it just me, or were the hoops on our GF strip a bit higher up than our 2016 regular season jumper? May have been the badging altering the look of it - damn we looked good!

craigsahibee
01-12-2016, 03:24 PM
These comparisons are from the On-Line Bulldogs Shop

Agree with others regarding the changes. Much prefer the 2016 model

comrade
01-12-2016, 03:30 PM
Not bothered by the colour, but don't like the lower hoops. Should be sitting right under the arm hole.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-12-2016, 04:52 PM
Odd decision to place the hoops so low.

chef
01-12-2016, 05:19 PM
I don't see the big deal. Looks fine to me.

1eyedog
01-12-2016, 05:58 PM
I don't see the big deal. Looks fine to me.

Nah they're really low look way better up under the arms. It's a simple thing that has been done incorrectly. Why change it is my question?

The Bulldogs Bite
01-12-2016, 06:00 PM
I hope these designs are a joke..

chef
01-12-2016, 06:04 PM
Nah they're really low look way better up under the arms. It's a simple thing that has been done incorrectly. Why change it is my question?

Yeah I dunno, it's a little lower but it really doesn't bother me. Still looks a fantastic jumper.

chef
01-12-2016, 06:04 PM

Yay, no more red jumper.

AndrewP6
01-12-2016, 06:21 PM

Just saw them. Simply awful. What a let down
after the last 2 months. Tweeted them to let them know. Hopefully they have a very quick rethink.

Axe Man
01-12-2016, 06:23 PM

The blue and charcoal ones are only training jumpers but they do look horrendous.

What's wrong with the white one?

chef
01-12-2016, 06:30 PM
What's wrong with the white one?

Wrong shade of white and the strips are too low:p

AndrewP6
01-12-2016, 06:30 PM
Interesting that Richmond have had lots of feedback that their colours aren't right, and with their new sponsor, vowed to return to their traditional colours. Meanwhile, the Dogs have said "Bugger tradition, we're introducing charcoal and pale blue to our colours"....
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-01/charcoal-and-mustard-to-yellow-and-black-tigers-hope-for-new-jumper

chef
01-12-2016, 06:35 PM
Interesting that Richmond have had lots of feedback that their colours aren't right, and with their new sponsor, vowed to return to their traditional colours. Meanwhile, the Dogs have said "Bugger tradition, we're introducing charcoal and pale blue to our colours"....
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-01/charcoal-and-mustard-to-yellow-and-black-tigers-hope-for-new-jumper

All clubs have colours outside their traditional colours in their training gear.

AndrewP6
01-12-2016, 06:50 PM
All clubs have colours outside their traditional colours in their training gear.

I know, and like these ones, they often look awful. They've gone with charcoal in the media polo, so that will be seen a lot - a big mistake IMO.

Webby
01-12-2016, 07:19 PM
Just perusing the media re other clubs' jumper designs for 2017 & it could be a lot worse, ladies and gentlemen!!!

Brisbane have done it again... Their clash guernsey is simply putrid. Hawthorn's is God-awful again - albeit a slight improvement in their Power Rangers monstrosity.. Although, to be fair, gold & brown is a tough gig for designers!

Interestingly, Norf's (lords of the persecution complex) supporters actually requested their club to make a Collingwood-type decision to reverse their stripes... Apparently they developed a chip on their shoulder about being "forced" to wear white shorts at their home games due to their majority white guernsey.... So the club has altered their jumper of the past 80 odd years..

Seems the collective shoulder chip outweighed tradition...

Also means we'll now have to wear a clash guernsey against Norf - rather than them simply slipping on the white shorts.. Even on Good Friday...

You certainly showed them all, Norf!... "Nobody makes us wear white shorts...!"

One thing, though. The lighter blue of our jumpers should mean we never have to wear a clash guernsey against Melbourne anymore.

BTW, our clash guernsey is once again a simple white with a red and a blue hoop. That's a win vs the cartoon bulldog, imo.

Jeanette54
01-12-2016, 09:34 PM

In my opinion the decision is nothing but greed to sell another lot of jumpers/memorabilia, nothing more. Sadly we see this all the time in V8 Supercars, not withstanding that the sponsors of the team may not have changed.

And that is just a sad sign of the times.

chef
01-12-2016, 09:39 PM
In my opinion the decision is nothing but greed to sell another lot of jumpers/memorabilia, nothing more. Sadly we see this all the time in V8 Supercars, not withstanding that the sponsors of the team may not have changed.

Benefits the club in making money.

LostDoggy
01-12-2016, 10:06 PM
Not bothered by the colour, but don't like the lower hoops. Should be sitting right under the arm hole.

Not too fussed about the lighter blue.I wonder if the hoops are lower 'cause we and the AFEL are toying with the idea of having players surnames on the back of the jumpers?
Or some sort of premiers type signage on them?
But those charcoal/grey polo's are rubbish!!

hujsh
01-12-2016, 11:21 PM

It's really just an option. Does anyone really buy all 4 jumpers?

Danny the snakeman
02-12-2016, 12:18 AM
Considering we will probably sell more jumpers this year than ever before because of our "gold premiers logo" you'd think they would get it right, tho as has been mentioned you can't please everyone. I personally hate the charcoal polo's.

jeemak
02-12-2016, 02:05 AM
Is this really not focused group oriented? Does the club really ride rough shod over these things?

It's a big win for me that our clash jumper is white with two hoops. We have the best home and away jumpers when it's like that. Simple is better.

bornadog
02-12-2016, 03:38 AM
Women's Jumper looks better, although the blue is not right.

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Photo%20Galleries/2016%20-%20Galleries/AFLW%20Kit%20Launch/478516-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

This jumper is rubbish. Tuck the jumper in your shorts and the white will be covered.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyZ97QbUkAADg7j.jpg

bulldogsthru&thru
02-12-2016, 09:38 AM
Not too fussed about the lighter blue.I wonder if the hoops are lower 'cause we and the AFEL are toying with the idea of having players surnames on the back of the jumpers?
Or some sort of premiers type signage on them?
But those charcoal/grey polo's are rubbish!!

I don't think the hoops go all the way around the back anyway though do they?

aker39
02-12-2016, 10:00 AM
It's Red, White and Blue. That's all I'm worried about.

comrade
02-12-2016, 10:32 AM
Why the fuss over training tops?

choconmientay
02-12-2016, 10:37 AM
... because we are now the Premiers and any detail will be put through the magnifying glass :)

I am not fazed by changes. Maybe we are trying to appear to much younger fan base now and some the the brighter colours, fancier designs are 'IN'?

Greystache
02-12-2016, 11:21 AM
The gold AFL logo on it looks pretty freakin' good to me!

comrade
02-12-2016, 11:21 AM
... because we are now the Premiers and any detail will be put through the magnifying glass :)

I am not fazed by changes. Maybe we are trying to appear to much younger fan base now and some the the brighter colours, fancier designs are 'IN'?

IMO, the weirder the better when it comes to training tops.

I'm still searching for a 1996 Dogs jumper with the robo dog inside the diamond combo. I love goofy tops.

Greystache
02-12-2016, 11:28 AM
Picked up a size zero for my newborn son. I'm thinking I'll buy a larger one too so he has a gold logo edition to wear in the future in the unlikely event we don't win more premierships in the next couple of years!

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z455/Greystache/20161129_195933_zpstujg2ytl.jpg

The Pie Man
02-12-2016, 11:42 AM
Just perusing the media re other clubs' jumper designs for 2017 & it could be a lot worse, ladies and gentlemen!!!

Brisbane have done it again... Their clash guernsey is simply putrid. Hawthorn's is God-awful again - albeit a slight improvement in their Power Rangers monstrosity.. Although, to be fair, gold & brown is a tough gig for designers!

Interestingly, Norf's (lords of the persecution complex) supporters actually requested their club to make a Collingwood-type decision to reverse their stripes... Apparently they developed a chip on their shoulder about being "forced" to wear white shorts at their home games due to their majority white guernsey.... So the club has altered their jumper of the past 80 odd years..

Seems the collective shoulder chip outweighed tradition...

Also means we'll now have to wear a clash guernsey against Norf - rather than them simply slipping on the white shorts.. Even on Good Friday...

You certainly showed them all, Norf!... "Nobody makes us wear white shorts...!"

One thing, though. The lighter blue of our jumpers should mean we never have to wear a clash guernsey against Melbourne anymore.

BTW, our clash guernsey is once again a simple white with a red and a blue hoop. That's a win vs the cartoon bulldog, imo.

We wore our home jumper with white shorts against Melbourne at the G this year - which I was surprised about at the time, though no clash eventuated. Also surprised we played Port in our normal strip with white shorts - no clash, just surprised we weren't forced into it. Think we only wore our clash jumper twice this season (both Perth games)

Doing away with the carton design for the white strip is a win - wouldn't have minded the away strip to feature vertical stripes on the RHS similar-ish to the proposed training tops (didn't we have a night comp jumper like this years ago?) but will take the small win on this.

Dancin' Douggy
02-12-2016, 01:56 PM
Why the fuss over training tops?

I'm talking about the actual match day tops.

craigsahibee
02-12-2016, 02:55 PM
Picked up a size zero for my newborn son. I'm thinking I'll buy a larger one too so he has a gold logo edition to wear in the future in the unlikely event we don't win more premierships in the next couple of years!

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z455/Greystache/20161129_195933_zpstujg2ytl.jpg

That shade of blue is close to the 2016 version

Greystache
02-12-2016, 03:09 PM
That shade of blue is close to the 2016 version

It's probably a trick of the light as well. It is a bit lighter than the BLK version, it's more like the Diadora blue.

Remi Moses
02-12-2016, 03:22 PM
Gotta be honest, the players could run around in pink tutu's if they deliver another flag

Webby
02-12-2016, 05:33 PM
We wore our home jumper with white shorts against Melbourne at the G this year - which I was surprised about at the time, though no clash eventuated. Also surprised we played Port in our normal strip with white shorts - no clash, just surprised we weren't forced into it. Think we only wore our clash jumper twice this season (both Perth games)

Doing away with the carton design for the white strip is a win - wouldn't have minded the away strip to feature vertical stripes on the RHS similar-ish to the proposed training tops (didn't we have a night comp jumper like this years ago?) but will take the small win on this.

Yeah we did wear our home guernseys against Melbourne at the G this year. That was the first time we'd been allowed to do that in years. I'd previously been pretty vocal about that as there clearly is no clash - particularly in our white shorts.

I believe the thinking might've been that it was a day game. Previous times against Melbourne the game was played under lights or roof. The only jumper our home Guernsey really clashes against is now Norf.

I get a bit miffed when I see us wear wear white against Carlton.

Yes, we did have a night series Guernsey which was white with a blue and white diagonal sash in about 1980.

Personally, I'd love to see the club adopt the jumper we won our first three flags in from 1898-1900 as a clash strip. It'd be a nice nod to the past.

bornadog
02-12-2016, 06:16 PM
It's probably a trick of the light as well. It is a bit lighter than the BLK version, it's more like the Diadora blue.

BTW,Congrats on being a Dad

Doc26
02-12-2016, 09:00 PM
Hi all,

Imagine the Carlton crest down on their belly buttons, it would look awful, that's what it's like to me.

Couldn't agree with you more. Why do they keep meddling with it ? So so frustrating. It's like they're on some mission to make it into a onesie. Come in PeterG, exert some authority to set it right.

Looking at the jumper when Tim English put it on for the first time it looked so wrong.:mad:

If the hoops were any lower they would be tucked into young Tim's shorts.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m830cdid5t7kmzl/Photo%202-12-16%2C%209%2003%2007%20pm.jpg?raw=1

GVGjr
02-12-2016, 09:31 PM
I know there are a lot of people who don't really care on what colours we play in or the design of it for that matter but I think when done right our jumper is clearly the best visually in the competition. I get that there's some advantages for the club to modify the design most years to drive up merchandise sales but I'd rather we don't settle on just making changes just for the sake of it.

Every time someone from the club gets in front of the media we don't miss a chance to have them decked out with the club's polo and all sponsors logo's etc proudly on display in an effort to look our best and yet when it comes down to sending the team out on match day we seem to be prepared to have them wearing sub standard designs as if it doesn't matter.

Why should we compromise?

Dancin' Douggy
03-12-2016, 01:48 AM
I'm quite serious about this, it's our heritage, it matters, the New jumper is awful, it's just a mistake made by someone who works in the factory or something. It's like having the richmond sash running from under the arm instead of from the shoulder.
God I hope we fix it.

bornadog
03-12-2016, 01:51 AM
I'm quite serious about this, it's our heritage, it matters, the New jumper is awful, it's just a mistake made by someone who works in the factory or something. It's like having the richmond sash running from under the arm instead of from the shoulder.
God I hope we fix it.

I think we need to all send in a complaint to the club.

Eastdog
03-12-2016, 02:06 AM
Hi all,

****I can never ever ever seem to upload an image on woof. No matter how much I shrink it down to tiny blurry thumbnail, it always tells me it's too big. I was trying to load a picture of EJ in the classic kit. It's also the reason I've never put a picture on my profile. Help anyone????

I think I can help you out DD. Use this website - https://postimage.org/

Hopefully you'll be able to post up photos now.

SonofScray
03-12-2016, 03:34 AM
The hoops are far too low. It is a poor change in the design. The colour is OK, electric blue. Don't mind that the hoops are thinner, they can stuff around with that a bit, but it needs to be up around the chest, under the arm pit.

The women's jumper is a good example of adding a bit or embellishing on the traditional design without compromising it.

HOSE B ROMERO
04-12-2016, 09:54 PM
Hoops too low; colour remeniscent of 60's guernsey.

Grrrr... i just think that something as iconic as a club's jumper should not be meddled with. Call me an old fuddy duddy but to me the traditional Victorian jumpers are still more powerful than the interstate teams designs.

Marketing departments are all too happy to make changes for change sake. Even subtle ones.

1eyedog
04-12-2016, 10:33 PM
God I hope we fix it.

Petition a change!

It's like a bloody blue jumper for Pete's sake with a couple of hoops thrown on the bottom as an afterthought.

The Pie Man
05-12-2016, 04:25 PM
Has anyone spoken to the club? I'm happy to put a polite enquiry through if not

1eyedog
05-12-2016, 04:50 PM

The Asics site is already selling them

comrade
05-12-2016, 04:54 PM

Can't hurt.

KT31
05-12-2016, 05:39 PM

Can you mention the bloody awful grey top as well ?

HOSE B ROMERO
05-12-2016, 10:55 PM
Can you mention the bloody awful grey top as well ?

And also the below standard 'English Breakfast' at Barkers cafe too...

Twodogs
05-12-2016, 11:32 PM
And the goalkicking technique of a lot of the players . Pretty much everyone but Tory Dickson.

The Pie Man
06-12-2016, 12:10 PM
I've sent them an email with a sample of some of the comments on this thread - hope to hear back from someone at some point.

Dancin' Douggy
06-12-2016, 08:10 PM
I've sent them an email with a sample of some of the comments on this thread - hope to hear back from someone at some point.

Thankyou pieman. I'll do something similar.

Webby
04-02-2017, 10:54 PM
Few bloke getting around tonight in the new Asics jumper. Gotta say, I think our players will be able to carry the lower hoops with no issues, but it's not a particularly flattering look for the average, paunchy punter!

1eyedog
05-02-2017, 10:51 AM
Few bloke getting around tonight in the new Asics jumper. Gotta say, I think our players will be able to carry the lower hoops with no issues, but it's not a particularly flattering look for the average, paunchy punter!

Same can be said of some of our slighter players. The jumper looks awkward on Cordy and English for instance. I suppose they'll grow into it.

I must admit I'm not a fan of the new electric blue, would much prefer the royal blue and black shorts.

BulldogBelle
06-02-2017, 08:12 AM
Same can be said of some of our slighter players. The jumper looks awkward on Cordy and English for instance. I suppose they'll grow into it.

I must admit I'm not a fan of the new electric blue, would much prefer the royal blue and black shorts.

Agree with you except for the black shorts. Much prefer the blue shorts.

The Pie Man
07-02-2017, 03:41 PM
Thankyou pieman. I'll do something similar.

Did you hear anything back from your query other than the generic auto reply?

I got nothing - I get they're busy...particularly with the AFLW becoming a priority over the summer. If they read it at all, it's likely been filed in the too hard/not important bin.

Danny the snakeman
08-02-2017, 03:19 AM
If they read it at all, it's likely been filed in the too hard/not important bin.

I would imagine they have a thousand more important things to do than something that they can do nothing about for this season.

LostDoggy
12-02-2017, 08:56 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/gallery/2017-02-12/2017-western-bulldogs-afl-player-portraits#31575cbfa2d1a510VgnVCM100000ac05030aRCRD

Eastdog
12-02-2017, 09:04 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/gallery/2017-02-12/2017-western-bulldogs-afl-player-portraits#31575cbfa2d1a510VgnVCM100000ac05030aRCRD

What do you reckon redders?

LostDoggy
12-02-2017, 09:17 PM
Me thinks the darker background and moody lighting makes the jumper in these photo's look a lot darker then they really are.

Eastdog
12-02-2017, 09:22 PM
Me thinks the darker background and moody lighting makes the jumper in these photo's look a lot darker then they really are.

Yes photos sometimes can be deceiving like that. Good avatar as well redders. Im guessing that you with the premiership cup :)

LostDoggy
13-02-2017, 08:00 PM
Yes photos sometimes can be deceiving like that. Good avatar as well redders. Im guessing that you with the premiership cup :)

yibbida yibbida!!!!!!;);)

Cyberdoggie
13-02-2017, 11:07 PM
Notice how wrinkled it looks. In particular between the shoulders and the neck. They are a bad cut and the material isn't right as well.

They have filtered the #$% out of the photos to make them look better than they are as well. In daylight and out on the ground I worry that they will look awful.

Murphy'sLore
15-02-2017, 03:49 PM
Th jumper we won the premiership in will always be the best jumper.

Webby
16-02-2017, 08:58 PM
I heard that Blades (the former NM apparel sponsor) have bought BLK's sponsorship stable from BLK's administrators.

It means we'd have been wearing Blades branded clothing had re re-signed with them for this year. As it is, all of GWS, GCS, Adelaide and the Aints have the farcical situation of all of their intended 2017 BLK gear being heavily discounted and quickly replaced by Blades branded gear. I believe Richmond jumped to Puma.

Thus meaning that anyone who bought 2017 gear for Xmas or whatever has been completely burned!! By this, I mean that they've bought gear that is already superseded and already redundant! In the Aints' case, they never even wore the gear onfield!

Even if the Asics gear has been underwhelming, things could be a lot worse!!

chef
18-02-2017, 05:39 PM
The jumper looks fine.

Love it.

bornadog
18-02-2017, 08:42 PM
The jumper looks fine.

Love it.

Women's looks better

chef
18-02-2017, 08:46 PM
Women's looks better

Dont like the red on the shoulders.

The Pie Man
20-02-2017, 12:10 PM
Still think the hoops are too low, but as part of the full kit it looked ok on Saturday. I'll file it under could be better but not a disaster

Grantysghost
08-12-2022, 11:11 AM
2023 edition.
Has the white neck trim like the late 90s robodog.

https://i.postimg.cc/hj8xypSn/Screenshot-20221208-100820.png (https://postimg.cc/phTpyQhc)

Bulldog4life
08-12-2022, 11:13 AM
2023 edition.

https://i.postimg.cc/hj8xypSn/Screenshot-20221208-100820.png (https://postimg.cc/phTpyQhc)

Thanks for posting Gg. I like the white trim.

Grantysghost
08-12-2022, 11:14 AM

Same think it looks really good.

bornadog
08-12-2022, 11:29 AM

Same think it looks really good.

I hate the white collar, plus the stripes continue to be too low and not wide enough. Stripes should start under the arm pits

angelopetraglia
08-12-2022, 11:43 AM
I hate it. It's terrible. That white trim around the collar is way too large. It looks hideous.

Grantysghost
08-12-2022, 11:47 AM
I hate it. It's terrible. That white trim around the collar is way too large. It looks hideous.

I like the white trim - but do agree it's kind of odd looking.

angelopetraglia
08-12-2022, 11:53 AM
2023 Jumper

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-xifbv9v38v/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/930/2358/2111B651_400_GM_FT__32982.1670453537.png?c=1

2022 Jumper

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-xifbv9v38v/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/752/1846/2111B362_400_GM_FT_AOP__15767.1639949223.png?c=1

angelopetraglia
08-12-2022, 12:02 PM
I prefer this jumper, or even without the red at the V.

https://cdn4.theroar.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Robert-Bob-Murphy-Western-Bulldogs-AFL-2017-755x515.jpg

Murphy'sLore
08-12-2022, 12:03 PM
Hate to sound like my nana but I think the white trim looks very smart :)

hujsh
08-12-2022, 12:10 PM
Probably an improvement on the red.

SquirrelGrip
08-12-2022, 12:12 PM
I hate the white collar, plus the stripes continue to be too low and not wide enough. Stripes should start under the arm pits

If you think the stripes are too low on the main jumper, then I think I saw a glimpse of the new white away jumper. You may not be happy ....

https://i.postimg.cc/sfSGFVmR/ASICS-2023.jpg (https://postimg.cc/9zmQZHsx)

bornadog
08-12-2022, 12:14 PM
If you think the stripes are too low on the main jumper, then I think I saw a glimpse of the new white away jumper. You may not be happy ....

https://i.postimg.cc/sfSGFVmR/ASICS-2023.jpg (https://postimg.cc/9zmQZHsx)

wow, marketing has lost the plot

soupman
08-12-2022, 12:25 PM
Hate it.

White toilet seat collar, hoops too thin, elbows too pointy.

angelopetraglia
08-12-2022, 12:26 PM
We did have the white trim for a long time in the 80s and 90s. From 1980 to 1998.

https://footycards.com.au/images/detailed/2/1982_VFL-AFL_Scanlens_110_Doug_Hawkins_Western_Bulldogs.jpg

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-d86e5uupwd/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/1438/2024/IMG_5255__12380.1595979870.JPG?c=1

angelopetraglia
08-12-2022, 12:28 PM
A smaller white collar like this would have worked better IMHO.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EU9xVJRUEAIKH2H?format=jpg&name=medium

The Bulldogs Bite
08-12-2022, 12:38 PM
That one looks good angel.

Smaller white stripes, hoops higher/underneath the armpit. That's actually a beautiful jumper.

I hate ASICS, their designs typically always suck.

angelopetraglia
08-12-2022, 01:02 PM
That one looks good angel.

Smaller white stripes, hoops higher/underneath the armpit. That's actually a beautiful jumper.

I hate ASICS, their designs typically always suck.

Yes. Asics just don't get design, marketing or storytelling. You only have to look at the gap between them and Nike when it comes to this.

bornadog
08-12-2022, 01:35 PM
Yes. Asics just don't get design, marketing or storytelling. You only have to look at the gap between them and Nike when it comes to this.

Don't they just produce what the customer wants

angelopetraglia
08-12-2022, 01:42 PM
Don't they just produce what the customer wants

They have been losing market share to Nike for years. In Asic's core market of running Nike has been destroying them in recent years when it comes to technology and innovation. In basketball it ain't even a contest.

So, I would argue they do try and make what they think the customer wants, but Nike just does a much, much better job.

Nike market share is ~50%. Asics market share is ~15%.

bornadog
08-12-2022, 01:51 PM
They have been losing market share to Nike for years. In Asic's core market of running Nike has been destroying them in recent years when it comes to technology and innovation. In basketball it ain't even a contest.

So, I would argue they do try and make what they think the customer wants, but Nike just does a much, much better job.

Nike market share is ~50%. Asics market share is ~15%.

I am not arguing that, what I am saying is don't the Dogs say here is our design, please produce it? Surely we don'
t had over the decision to them

angelopetraglia
08-12-2022, 01:59 PM
I am not arguing that, what I am saying is don't the Dogs say here is our design, please produce it? Surely we don'
t had over the decision to them

Apologies. I misread your intention.

I have no idea how the process works. But surely Asics would provide some inspiration. There would have to be some collaboration? If you look at the World Cup tops for instance. Each brand has a certain style. The influence the brand has is apparent.

bornadog
08-12-2022, 02:15 PM
Apologies. I misread your intention.

I have no idea how the process works. But surely Asics would provide some inspiration. There would have to be some collaboration? If you look at the World Cup tops for instance. Each brand has a certain style. The influence the brand has is apparent.

Either way, I have not liked the jumper design

EasternWest
08-12-2022, 03:08 PM
2023 edition.

Thanks I hate it.

GVGjr
08-12-2022, 04:14 PM
I wonder who's job it is to work out the club jumpers and approved merchandise?
It would be good to provide some feedback from a members perspective.

MrMahatma
08-12-2022, 04:14 PM
Don't like the white trim as I reckon my sweaty, boozy footy sessions are going to make that thing pretty gross. And don't suggest I actually wash it.

I've got the 2016 and 2021 versions as my most recent copies. 2021 was a generous gift, 2016 my own hard earned. I won't be buying 2023, and hope no one buys it for me.

I wonder if they REALLY make money by changing every year? I mean, how many people buy because of the updated design, as opposed to the one they have being too sweat and beer stained and thus would replace it with whatever is the current design?

chef
08-12-2022, 04:45 PM
The trim on the neck and arms needs to be the same colour or it just looks a bit weird.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-12-2022, 05:22 PM
Don't like the white trim as I reckon my sweaty, boozy footy sessions are going to make that thing pretty gross. And don't suggest I actually wash it.

I've got the 2016 and 2021 versions as my most recent copies. 2021 was a generous gift, 2016 my own hard earned. I won't be buying 2023, and hope no one buys it for me.

I wonder if they REALLY make money by changing every year? I mean, how many people buy because of the updated design, as opposed to the one they have being too sweat and beer stained and thus would replace it with whatever is the current design?

I'm actually a big fan of regularly changing the jumper (i.e. yearly). Merch is a big business, the NBA do it well and each team has about 62 different jerseys every year, but it just... works.

AFL clubs rarely change their actual design so it's not comparable. I'd like us to be far more creative with our away strip yearly, which is straight garbage.

In general, AFL clubs could do more in this space. A lot of clubs recycle their Indigenous jumpers (lazy).

MrMahatma
08-12-2022, 05:54 PM
I'm actually a big fan of regularly changing the jumper (i.e. yearly). Merch is a big business, the NBA do it well and each team has about 62 different jerseys every year, but it just... works.

AFL clubs rarely change their actual design so it's not comparable. I'd like us to be far more creative with our away strip yearly, which is straight garbage.

In general, AFL clubs could do more in this space. A lot of clubs recycle their Indigenous jumpers (lazy).

I'd get it if the strategy was :
1) Consistent, awesome, fan-adored home strip
2) Go crazy away strip and fans will buy the ones that they love
3) A heritage one, an indigenous one etc. Also new each year.

NBA & EPL etc teams play in much bigger markets - both domestically and internationally.

DOG GOD
08-12-2022, 06:54 PM
Absolutely horrendous.

whythelongface
08-12-2022, 07:41 PM
Absolutely horrendous.

Yep it ain’t the best. Is there time to change the design or is that it?

jeemak
08-12-2022, 08:21 PM
I reckon it's a wait until it's seen on TV or in the flesh vibe. Might surprise.

GVGjr
08-12-2022, 08:31 PM
Yep it ain’t the best. Is there time to change the design or is that it?

I'm with Jee on this, it's a wait and see it up close for me.

Grantysghost
08-12-2022, 09:34 PM
I reckon it's a wait until it's seen on TV or in the flesh vibe. Might surprise.

Same, sometimes they look average until you've seen them live.
I don't mind the strip but the collar does look a little odd.

mjp
08-12-2022, 10:26 PM
Focus Group: Look, we have great colours and an amazing base design...I mean, yeah - fine, make some subtle changes if you like...it'll be hard to stuff it up.

Marketing dept: Cool. Hold. My. Beer.

GVGjr
08-12-2022, 10:49 PM
Perhaps someone with a marketing background might be able to explain what steps might be considered when tinkering with a jumper design?

I'd prefer a more traditional look like something that BAD suggested earlier with thicker stripes and a bit higher up but I'm just going to have to wait and see this one up close.

Dogs 24/7
08-12-2022, 11:18 PM
It doesn't appeal to me that much. It will probably grow on me though.

SonofScray
09-12-2022, 11:52 AM
They’ve butchered it.

Quite a feat given the basic design of our jumper is perfection.

I’d actually preferred they do something wildly different than do what they’ve done here.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-12-2022, 12:04 PM
They’ve butchered it.

I’d actually preferred they do something wildly different than do what they’ve done here.

That's the key - keep your 'main/home' jumper traditional, experiment with the rest (i.e. away jumpers, theme jumpers).

Seems a simple concept, no?

angelopetraglia
09-12-2022, 01:40 PM
They’ve butchered it.

Agree 100%. They have stuffed it. Can't believe anyone with any kind of sensibility or understanding of brand/marketing would sign off that jumper.

Especially hard to take seeing our President works at Disney who probably understand storytelling and brand architecture better than anyone else on the planet.

MrMahatma
09-12-2022, 01:43 PM
Perhaps someone with a marketing background might be able to explain what steps might be considered when tinkering with a jumper design?

I'd prefer a more traditional look like something that BAD suggested earlier with thicker stripes and a bit higher up but I'm just going to have to wait and see this one up close.

It's a tough one without working in sports apparel specifically. In branding you'd typically have rigid brand guidelines that would dictate really clearly which exact colours (so, the exact shade of blue) are OUR colours, and details like line thickness, given they're the key/iconic assets. That said, sports teams tinker all the time so while their logo seems really to be kept strictly as is, the apparel doesn't. That's clearly down to the $ part of the marketing plan, rather than the branding. I can only imagine the brief in the design process would be:

- Must have same "style" - big red & white stripe, don't veer too far from the recent versions.
- Must be DIFFERENT, in some way, (EG: Shade of blue, collar) so that we can sell extras.
- Maybe some aspects are kept consistent (the white of the white, the red of the red?) Maybe they limit changes to 2 features a year? Collar and placement of lines? I dunno.

There's possibly way more thought that goes into it, or indeed, possibly even less thought. "Here's last year's, give us something different, but not too different". They may indeed have the next 5 versions already done and just get the final approval each year to ensure nothing drastic has changed in minds of the approvers.

I wish they'd just mess with the away kit. Keep the home one consistent. If they did a good enough job with the away kit, they'd sell enough of those.

angelopetraglia
09-12-2022, 01:46 PM
It's a tough one without working in sports apparel specifically. In branding you'd typically have rigid brand guidelines that would dictate really clearly which exact colours (so, the exact shade of blue) are OUR colours, and details like line thickness, given they're the key/iconic assets. That said, sports teams tinker all the time so while their logo seems really to be kept strictly as is, the apparel doesn't. That's clearly down to the $ part of the marketing plan, rather than the branding. I can only imagine the brief in the design process would be:

- Must have same "style" - big red & white stripe, don't veer too far from the recent versions.
- Must be DIFFERENT, in some way, (EG: Shade of blue, collar) so that we can sell extras.
- Maybe some aspects are kept consistent (the white of the white, the red of the red?) Maybe they limit changes to 2 features a year? Collar and placement of lines? I dunno.

There's possibly way more thought that goes into it, or indeed, possibly even less thought. "Here's last year's, give us something different, but not too different". They may indeed have the next 5 versions already done and just get the final approval each year to ensure nothing drastic has changed in minds of the approvers.

I wish they'd just mess with the away kit. Keep the home one consistent. If they did a good enough job with the away kit, they'd sell enough of those.

Thanks. I can see how they brought in the white collar, seeing that we actually had a white collar for almost 20 years. Do something different, respect the heritage etc. They have just butchered the execution.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-12-2022, 02:28 PM
I like the white trim, is there a white phobia here?
Look into your souls my brethren.
The white provides a target to the kicker, light colours stand out and darker fade away.
Put it down his throat.

soupman
09-12-2022, 02:33 PM
The white is fine, it looking like a toilet seat is not. If it was just a normal width then it'd be a completely fine uninteresting update on the standard design.

WBFC4FFC
09-12-2022, 05:43 PM
The white is fine, it looking like a toilet seat is not. If it was just a normal width then it'd be a completely fine uninteresting update on the standard design.

I'm fine with the jumper.

The white around the collar is fine. That is what I grew-up with. Agree, though in that the shape of the collar is a bit different.

Personally, I like the royal blue trimmings. Worked in 2016. Less is more/Keep it simple, yadda, yadda, yadda!

soupman
09-12-2022, 09:40 PM
Fwiw the most recent pic on the clubs instagram has a team picture with two kids wearing the jumper. Look it's not the best fitting one on them but the collar is horrendous. I just don't know why it so obscenely huge.

SonofScray
09-12-2022, 10:18 PM

I’d say that ASICS have some set templates or design features that carry across their apparel and that’s where the collar comes from.

Boy it’s ugly.

Grantysghost
10-12-2022, 09:24 AM
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cl73dwLD35j/?igshid=ZmRlMzRkMDU=

You can't hate it now :)

Grantysghost
12-12-2022, 04:43 PM
Now I've seen what it would look like if Brett Montgomery was casually walking around Footscray market, I think I like it.

https://i.postimg.cc/DzVccqLL/Screenshot-20221212-153856.png (https://postimg.cc/G4QYLTMm)

Axe Man
14-12-2022, 10:38 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/NjT3ZsxJ/retro.jpg (https://postimg.cc/4Yf29TqV)

Vote (https://tb.westernbulldogs.com.au/tb_app/480758?fbclid=IwAR1uVCYfY68YL6DeL16opgrpTC3KaWPamJg0Qvr8r6A4 Vij5O0-oVw6wEzg)

comrade
14-12-2022, 10:53 AM
If the 95 jumper doesn’t win in a landslide, something is wrong.

1eyedog
14-12-2022, 10:59 AM

Agreed the hoops are way to low and the white collar looks wrong.

The 1995 jumper needs to be torched.

Sedat
14-12-2022, 11:03 AM
If we can get Daniel Hargreaves and Ilija Grgic to model it, will be no contest.

1eyedog
14-12-2022, 11:07 AM
The collar looks like we'll be wearing a white t-shirt underneath it. Bizarre.

Happy Days
14-12-2022, 11:25 AM
I don’t think it’s a good jumper or anything but need to see the 95 one run back.

chef
14-12-2022, 11:28 AM
95 all the way.

Grantysghost
14-12-2022, 12:06 PM
Yep 95 for the cult status.

44 is nice but too Dees.

hujsh
14-12-2022, 12:09 PM
95 to win but I'm interested in that darker blue for the 44 I have to admit.

bornadog
14-12-2022, 01:00 PM
1944 for me. Should be our current jumper

https://www.footyjumpers.com/images/Footscray-1944.gif

1eyedog
14-12-2022, 01:55 PM

If we can get Daniel Hargreaves and Ilija Grgic to model it, will be no contest.

I don’t think it’s a good jumper or anything but need to see the 95 one run back.

95 all the way.

Yep 95 for the cult status.

44 is nice but too Dees.

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Axe Man
14-12-2022, 02:11 PM
What the hell is wrong with you people?

I think it fits in the it's so bad it's good category.

Axe Man
14-12-2022, 02:12 PM

Disagree. It's too dark, we should be royal blue not navy.

bornadog
14-12-2022, 02:21 PM
Disagree. It's too dark, we should be royal blue not navy.

That is not navy, but maybe close to it. We have gone too light. There are a couple of different shades of royal blue

hujsh
14-12-2022, 02:29 PM
I think it fits in the it's so bad it's good category.

95 is retro.

Others are too old school to be retro

Axe Man
14-12-2022, 02:37 PM
That is not navy, but maybe close to it. We have gone too light. There are a couple of different shades of royal blue

There are different shades royal blue but that isn't one of them.

I have compared my early 2000s Leaseplan jumper and one of those 2017 jumpers with the gold AFL logo and I prefer the shade of blue on the newer one.

EasternWest
14-12-2022, 02:51 PM

Thank you for recognising our Lord and Saviour Dylan Addison when you chose the number to display.

GVGjr
14-12-2022, 02:53 PM

1944 for me but I'm okay with any of them

bornadog
14-12-2022, 03:01 PM
There are different shades royal blue but that isn't one of them.

I have compared my early 2000s Leaseplan jumper and one of those 2017 jumpers with the gold AFL logo and I prefer the shade of blue on the newer one.

Either way I like the 1944 jumper

1eyedog
14-12-2022, 03:02 PM
Depends how old you are. 95 is like a few months ago to me.

Bulldog4life
14-12-2022, 03:11 PM
!944 for me. Simply because I like it.

bornadog
14-12-2022, 03:21 PM

That 1995 jumper was away games only

EasternWest
14-12-2022, 03:28 PM

It's still 95, right? Can't wait to see Dinosaur Jr at the Palace next week. Love J Mascis's long black hair.

mjp
14-12-2022, 04:07 PM
That 1995 jumper was away games only

I thought you were going to say it was PUTRID and was just about to hit like...then you went off on a tangent about away games!

bornadog
14-12-2022, 04:35 PM
I thought you were going to say it was PUTRID and was just about to hit like...then you went off on a tangent about away games!

I actually hate the 95 away jumper

The Bulldogs Bite
14-12-2022, 04:45 PM
The 95 jumper is so bad it's actually now good.

Take my money, damnit.

Grantysghost
14-12-2022, 04:50 PM
The 95 jumper is so bad it's actually now good.

Take my money, damnit.

We just need Allen Jakovich to model it.

Grantysghost
14-12-2022, 04:52 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/DwZdNJRj/Screenshot-20221214-155146.png (https://postimg.cc/F7MLdRr3)

GVGjr
14-12-2022, 04:57 PM
2004 Heritage was our best jumper but I'm not going to argue over a retro top.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-12-2022, 04:58 PM
The 95 jumper was my first jumper as a kid. I can't not buy one if that gets recreated.

I wouldn't mind seeing the 44 jumper given it's 'something different' too.

bornadog
14-12-2022, 05:00 PM
The 95 jumper was my first jumper as a kid. I can't not buy one if that gets recreated.

I wouldn't mind seeing the 44 jumper given it's 'something different' too.

This was the 1994/95 home jumper. Note the white collar

https://www.footyjumpers.com/images/Footscray-Uniform1982.png

Grantysghost
14-12-2022, 05:11 PM
I can't believe the Origin energy rust number wasn't an option.

hujsh
14-12-2022, 05:14 PM
2004 Heritage was our best jumper but I'm not going to argue over a retro top.

And we'll call this new prototype... Dylan *!*!*!*!ing Addison

https://i.ibb.co/xm3vhgX/Footscray-Uniform2004-Back.png

bornadog
14-12-2022, 05:15 PM
I can't believe the Origin energy rust number wasn't an option.

SOS nominated this one

https://www.footyjumpers.com/images/Footscray-Thor-2019.gif

Axe Man
14-12-2022, 05:17 PM

You were saying? ;)

https://i.postimg.cc/L4CdYP1d/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

Grantysghost
14-12-2022, 05:22 PM
SOS nominated this one

Love it.

bornadog
14-12-2022, 05:24 PM
You were saying? ;)

https://i.postimg.cc/L4CdYP1d/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

touché

I do like it

Rocket Science
14-12-2022, 06:19 PM
If Robodog gets the nod, dead set ...

https://i.ibb.co/YDk88Rb/IMG-7568.jpg (https://ibb.co/yhy55fV)

Come on.

'75 all the way here folks.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-12-2022, 06:43 PM

Come on.

Embrace the robo.

Grantysghost
14-12-2022, 06:59 PM

Come on.

We've had the hotdog.

It's time for....

ROBODOG.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l46CwEYnbFtFfjZNS/giphy.gif

azabob
14-12-2022, 07:31 PM
It's still 95, right? Can't wait to see Dinosaur Jr at the Palace next week. Love J Mascis's long black hair.

He’s got some grey in there now. I love his solo stuff, but never was into Dinosaur Jr.

EasternWest
14-12-2022, 07:45 PM
He’s got some grey in there now. I love his solo stuff, but never was into Dinosaur Jr.

1. That's the joke.
2. Friendship with hujsh over. Axe Man and his non existent contract thread is new best friend.

EasternWest
14-12-2022, 07:45 PM
And we'll call this new prototype... Dylan *!*!*!*!ing Addison

https://i.ibb.co/xm3vhgX/Footscray-Uniform2004-Back.png

Honestly looks more like Ben Harrison, a less auspicious 22, but a favourite of many on this board.

SonofScray
14-12-2022, 09:08 PM
SOS nominated this one

😂 Fair dinkum. Was having a good day until I logged in here and saw this.

SonofScray
14-12-2022, 09:09 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/NjT3ZsxJ/retro.jpg (https://postimg.cc/4Yf29TqV)

Vote (https://tb.westernbulldogs.com.au/tb_app/480758?fbclid=IwAR1uVCYfY68YL6DeL16opgrpTC3KaWPamJg0Qvr8r6A4 Vij5O0-oVw6wEzg)

A vote for the Diamond Dog is a vote for another Premiership.

Grantysghost
14-12-2022, 09:21 PM
A vote for the Diamond Dog is a vote for another Premiership.

Embrace the future that was somehow the past.

1eyedog
14-12-2022, 10:00 PM
This was the 1994/95 home jumper. Note the white collar

https://www.footyjumpers.com/images/Footscray-Uniform1982.png

Sleek

Axe Man
15-12-2022, 10:25 AM
1. That's the joke.
2. Friendship with hujsh over. Axe Man and his non existent contract thread is new best friend.

https://i.postimg.cc/hv7ms7Zc/Gigantic-Sarcastic-Grunion-size-restricted.gif (https://postimages.org/)

hujsh
15-12-2022, 11:13 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/hv7ms7Zc/Gigantic-Sarcastic-Grunion-size-restricted.gif (https://postimages.org/)

https://media.tenor.com/wDawKwVafzAAAAAC/conan-o-brien-window.gif

MrMahatma
15-12-2022, 11:23 AM
1995 for sure. The others are actually GOOD and should be design considerations for our actual guernsey. But 1995 is just an awful, abomination throw back that has to be seen to be believed. More people need to see it.

1eyedog
15-12-2022, 12:03 PM
You're all sadists.

Grantysghost
13-01-2023, 06:53 PM
Discuss.
https://i.postimg.cc/rF4QVdQR/Screenshot-20230113-175113.png (https://postimg.cc/56xwptcf)

GVGjr
13-01-2023, 07:08 PM
Looks okay, we could do better if we would widen the red and white stripes but I can live with it.

Grantysghost
13-01-2023, 07:28 PM
Looks okay, we could do better if we would widen the red and white stripes but I can live with it.

I was waiting to see the collar in action.

An homage to George Pell.

Thumbs down for me Asics should be shot.

Bulldog Joe
13-01-2023, 07:32 PM
I am comfortable with the jumper and it will be the best jumper ever when we win the flag.