Officially all players back on 5th December, except:

*Easton Wood (ankle reconstruction)

*Tom Boyd (shoulder reconstruction)

*Mitch Wallis (broken leg)

*Jack Redpath (ACL)

Yes Bob is back.

Smads57
30-11-2016, 10:55 PM
Will Prudden be on the track from next week BAD?

hujsh
30-11-2016, 11:43 PM
So did Jake end up having shoulder surgery?

bornadog
30-11-2016, 11:48 PM
Will Prudden be on the track from next week BAD?

Yes, good point. No Mention on the website, but I guess he will with Bob.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
01-12-2016, 07:54 AM
He was there on Monday in a group which included Daniel

BornInDroopSt'54
01-12-2016, 09:10 AM
There had to be something holding him back late this season. Hope it can be addressed, unlike Chris Grant and his stingers/spine problem.

BulldogBelle
01-12-2016, 09:45 AM

Was at Hotel 520 the other week for a GF footy function. M Boyd, Stringer, Johno and Dougy were there.
Stringer implied that he shoulder was feeling better and he told the club doc. Then he deliberately missed his appointment with the surgeon. So nothing has happened to his shoulder. l hope this was all tongue and cheek and there is nothing wrong with the shoulder.

choconmientay
01-12-2016, 02:36 PM
After the good news with Bob back and in good health, it's excellent to hear Woody is back on track as well and tracking nicely.

Please check out the link with his latest pictures and video. He grew a beard as well. Not sure if he should keep that beard going into the new season.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Western Bulldogs' Easton Wood, home in Camperdown, pleased with surgery rehabilitation (http://www.standard.net.au/story/4324095/injured-bulldog-wood-back-on-track-video-photos/)

WESTERN Bulldogs premiership captain Easton Wood is confident he will be fit to play in practice matches as he recovers from major ankle surgery.

The rebounding defender will start pre-season training at Whitten Oval on Monday but is already working towards 2017.

Wood, who returned home to Camperdown on Tuesday to speak to students at his former schools about the Bulldogs’ drought-breaking flag, played with the injury throughout their fairytale finals series.

“I’ve been in the club a fair bit because they have a treadmill called an Ultra G treadmill which I can run on,” he said.

“It is a big bubble up to your waist and it pumps a whole lot of air in and you can run at a percentage of your body weight.

“It basically means you can run two weeks earlier than you would be able to it you just ran straight outside.
“I’ve been on that the last two weeks.”
Wood, 27, said he had enjoyed a hiccup-free recovery.

“It’s nice to get out of the boot and get moving around,” he said.

“It’s slowly coming along but it’s great – they (the surgeons) did a good job, so it will be a full recovery and I’ll be back to normal.

“I’ll be back into full training around January I think and hopefully I can get enough fitness under my belt to be ready for those pre-season games.”

An overseas holiday with his girlfriend Tiffany gave Wood the perfect opportunity to reflect on the Bulldogs’ first flag in 62 years.

“I aim to do that every year and this year it was as important as ever and as fun as ever,” he said of travelling.

“To go away halfway across the world, it’s really nice, especially after the whirlwind we had.

“To get away from it and get back to normality and just explore another country and people with different lives and upbringing was great.”

The 2015 All-Australian expects the Bulldogs to take the premiership hype in their stride.

“It is still surreal for me, that’s for sure, and when I get back there on Monday and everybody is in, it’ll be interesting to gauge the feel of the place,” he said.

“But I can only imagine it’s going to be very positive.”

Wood made a whirlwind visit to the south-west on Tuesday, pencilling in visits to Camperdown Primary School and Camperdown College before lunch with his mother Fiona for her birthday.

The 107-game veteran said it was a humbling experience.
“One of the teachers, Vicki Angus, sent me a photo from the primary school,” he said.

“They’d done a bollard up with me on the bollard which was quite lovely, so I thought it was a good chance and probably important to come back and speak to the kids.

“It was great. I reckon some of the teachers were more excited.
“It was so lovely to see them; I hadn’t seen them in such a long time but they were honestly a big part of my life growing up.”

choconmientay
02-12-2016, 07:47 PM
Didn't even know that Caleb Daniel went under the knifes..
https://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl/a/33395842/winged-dog-hits-the-ground-running-in-afl/#page1

bornadog
02-12-2016, 09:53 PM
Didn't even know that Caleb Daniel went inder the knifes..
https://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl/a/33395842/winged-dog-hits-the-ground-running-in-afl/#page1

The club communications has dropped off dramtically this year compared to last. Supporters want to know how the players are going and what they are doing. I bet there were a few others that went under the knife, that we don't know about.

boydogs
02-12-2016, 11:11 PM
The club communications has dropped off dramtically this year compared to last. Supporters want to know how the players are going and what they are doing. I bet there were a few others that went under the knife, that we don't know about.

http://puu.sh/sBCwB/d6cdac8037.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/westernbulldogs/comments/56gksx/toyd_wood_morris_stringer_and_daniel_to_undergo/

Defender Dale Morris played the game out with two fractures in his back while a number of key players including Tom Boyd, Jake Stringer and Caleb Daniel carried issues which will require surgery in the coming weeks.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/easton-wood-undergoes-major-ankle-surgery-after-captaining-western-bulldogs-premiership/news-story/ff23beac12d5cc1bad877a19e9367c43

Eastdog
02-12-2016, 11:35 PM
What great warriors they all are

bornadog
09-12-2016, 10:17 AM
Bont still in a moon boot, no idea what the issue is.

choconmientay
09-12-2016, 10:36 AM
Bont still in a moon boot, no idea what the issue is.

Did you saw him BAD or it's reported somewhere?

bornadog
09-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Did you saw him BAD or it's reported somewhere?

Someone mentioned it on the forum, but heard Peter Gordon talk about it this morning but gave no detail.

choconmientay
12-12-2016, 11:48 AM
This is an update on Tom Boyd: Tom Boyd is confident of playing in the opening match of the JLT Community Series (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/tom-boyd-is-confident-of-playing-in-the-opening-match-of-the-jlt-community-series/news-story/15ba73a099d1916a154d8a2312748505)
GLENN McFARLANE, Herald Sun, December 11, 2016 10:00am

PREMIERSHIP Bulldog Tom Boyd is confident his reconstructed right shoulder will be right to go for the club’s first JLT Community Series game against Melbourne at Whitten Oval on February 18.

Boyd carried a shoulder issue for much of the 2016 season, but had it repaired the week after the club’s premiership success with the aim of giving himself the best chance of playing pain-free and unrestricted next season.

He also had minor ankle surgery following his huge performance in the Grand Final.

“It’s now two months since the (shoulder) surgery, and it will only be a month and a half until I am back in full training,” Boyd said. “That coincides with the end of January, which is perfect. That’s when we start getting into the more serious match practice.

“I’ve still been able to run so I will be as fit as I can be. I have played in two of the (preseason) games in the past two years and that’s what the aim is at this stage.

“I had the two post-season surgeries. I also had a little clean-up on my ankle which was a minor procedure.

“They (the surgeons) are really happy with my progress.”

Boyd injured his shoulder joint in the Bulldogs’ Round 4 game against Carlton. He missed six weeks of football, but managed the issue throughout the rest of the season, right through the club’s breathtaking run through the finals.

“It was a significant challenge from week to week with me having to get through it and find the best way to manage it,” he said. “But at the same time the medical staff and the high performance guys were really diligent and made sure I could stay on top of it as much as possible.

“It was just one of those things that players have to play through. I don’t think I was asked to do anything untoward. It was just a part of the game.

Boyd had his shoulder reconstruction at a similar time to teammate Caleb Daniel, who joined him in signing hundreds of copies of the club’s pictorial book, Against All Odds, at Dymocks Werribee on Friday. The book, which retails for $39.99, is available from the Bulldogs Shop.

“The title of the book probably sums it up,” Boyd said. “We were written off by everyone, as individuals and as a team, but it is very heartening to see how the win has affected the supporters of the Western Bulldogs.”

ratsmac
14-01-2017, 02:03 AM
A friend of mine bumped into Mitch Wallis at Sorrento beach last week. Got a few photos with the kids. He's a pretty good looking unit and has a pretty good rig too. Anyway back on track. :o My mate asked him when he expects to return and he said he is aiming at round 1 or 2. That comes at a bit of a shock to me. I thought he would be out for most of the season.

Has anyone been to training this pre season? If so how's he moving?

BulldogBelle
14-01-2017, 07:42 AM
A friend of mine bumped into Mitch Wallis at Sorrento beach last week. Got a few photos with the kids. He's a pretty good looking unit and has a pretty good rig too. Anyway back on track. :o My mate asked him when he expects to return and he said he is aiming at round 1 or 2. That comes at a bit of a shock to me. I thought he would be out for most of the season.

Has anyone been to training this pre season? If so how's he moving?

l hope they don't rush him back. We all saw what happened to Brown when he rushed back.
Got to take your time and get this right the first time.

KT31
14-01-2017, 10:25 AM
l hope they don't rush him back. We all saw what happened to Brown when he rushed back.
Got to take your time and get this right the first time.

Mindset will be the main issue, bones heal quickly but regaining confidence and getting over the anxiety will take time.

BornInDroopSt'54
14-01-2017, 03:10 PM
Wallis will be all over Dale Morris and how he manages broken leg bones, back et al.

bornadog
14-01-2017, 07:58 PM
Wallis will be all over Dale Morris and how he manages broken leg bones, back et al.

or Stringer

kruder
15-01-2017, 10:49 PM
I've seen wallis a few times down Sorrento also he loves getting the rig out. He is in great condition his skin folds would be killer.

kruder
15-01-2017, 10:52 PM
I've seen wallis a few times down Sorrento also he loves getting the rig out. He is in great condition his skin folds would be killer.

Off topic I know but I also saw Libba the other week greeting a kebab in Sydney rd Brunswick. He cracks me up that dude he was driving a banged up Toyota unlike Mitch looked anything but a footballer... He definitely saves his best for the field our libba.

1eyedog
16-01-2017, 10:49 AM
I've seen Libba on Sydney Road in a shirt that was too long and on bare feet.

LostDoggy
16-01-2017, 10:42 PM
Off topic I know but I also saw Libba the other week greeting a kebab in Sydney rd Brunswick. He cracks me up that dude he was driving a banged up Toyota unlike Mitch looked anything but a footballer... He definitely saves his best for the field our libba.

I've seen Libba on Sydney Road in a shirt that was too long and on bare feet.
Clearly has a great financial advisor ;)

bornadog
25-01-2017, 06:05 PM
Wood fit and firing - ready for preseason training. Story here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-01-24/wood-fit-and-firing)

bornadog
09-02-2017, 05:57 PM
Update from AFL.com.au

Kieran Collins (shoulder and hip, 1-2 weeks): The hulking key defender has been on a restricted program and will return to full training in the coming weeks.

Caleb Daniel (shoulder, 2-3 weeks): The diminutive playmaker is yet to take part in contact training, but should see some game time in the JLT Community Series.

Josh Prudden (ACL, TBC): The utility has been eased back into training and is looking at return to playing early in the season.

Matt Suckling (Achilles, TBC): The playmaker had a delayed start to the pre-season and must be in some doubt to the play before the season proper.

Jack Redpath (ACL, TBC): The key forward is progressing well from a traditional knee reconstruction and is expected to make a mid-season return.

Mitch Wallis (broken leg, TBC): The 24-year-old is confident of making an impact in 2017, but is yet announce when he'll return to the field. Began running on an anti-gravity treadmill in recent weeks. - Ryan Davidson

Eastdog
09-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Thanks BAD. This is the reason you are the record highest poster so far on WOOF :)

Mantis
09-02-2017, 06:24 PM
New role ear-marked for big Jack I see. :confused:

Eastdog
09-02-2017, 06:26 PM
New role ear-marked for big Jack I see. ��

More a defender. Maybe? There is now a lot of competition in our forward line.

LostDoggy
09-02-2017, 07:53 PM
I realise there are probably more opportunities for Jack in defence, but he isn't a defender. He plays his best footy as a forward, utilising his accurate boot, strong marking a bustling frame.

1eyedog
10-02-2017, 12:39 AM
New role ear-marked for big Jack I see. :confused:

Lazy reporting

ledge
11-02-2017, 01:12 PM
I read somewhere Picken is out for a month with a jaw injury, any confirmation ?

bornadog
13-02-2017, 02:51 PM
Kieran Collins (shoulder/hip) — 1-2 weeks

Caleb Daniel (shoulder) — 2-3 weeks (aiming at JLT2)

Josh Prudden (ACL) — 2 months (should miss JLT)

Matt Suckling (Achilles) — 4-6 weeks (may not play JLT)

Jack Redpath (ACL) — 3-4 months (aiming at mid-season)

Mitch Wallis (broken leg) — TBC (has begun running)

divvydan
13-02-2017, 03:15 PM
Picken has a fractured cheekbone and will miss the first JLT match and probably a couple of weeks of training.

bornadog
13-02-2017, 03:55 PM
Picken has a fractured cheekbone and will miss the first JLT match and probably a couple of weeks of training.

Liam Picken has surgery on fractured cheekbone (http://www.3aw.com.au/news/liam-picken-has-surgery-on-fractured-cheekbone-20170213-gubmt6.html)

Liam Picken has had surgery on a fractured cheekbone.

The Western Bulldogs tough nut suffered the injury during a head clash at training.
He's expected to miss two weeks of training, as well as the Dogs' first pre-season game.

"He's not in doubt for Round 1," Mitch Cleary explained on Sportsday.

"They're still going hell for leather down at the Dogs."

BornInDroopSt'54
20-02-2017, 12:51 PM
Was at Hotel 520 the other week for a GF footy function. M Boyd, Stringer, Johno and Dougy were there.
Stringer implied that he shoulder was feeling better and he told the club doc. Then he deliberately missed his appointment with the surgeon. So nothing has happened to his shoulder. l hope this was all tongue and cheek and there is nothing wrong with the shoulder.
I so hope this is not true. I hate the idea that Jake avoided prescribed surgery by not complying. Men do things like that but surely not a professional footballer. Something was holding Jake back last season, be it emotion and/or injury. We need him at his best and not restricted in the way he seemed to be last season.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-02-2017, 12:57 PM
Liam Picken has surgery on fractured cheekbone (http://www.3aw.com.au/news/liam-picken-has-surgery-on-fractured-cheekbone-20170213-gubmt6.html)

Liam Picken has had surgery on a fractured cheekbone.

The Western Bulldogs tough nut suffered the injury during a head clash at training.
He's expected to miss two weeks of training, as well as the Dogs' first pre-season game.

"He's not in doubt for Round 1," Mitch Cleary explained on Sportsday.

"They're still going hell for leather down at the Dogs."

"They're still going hell for leather down at the Dogs." Our epithet!

KT31
20-02-2017, 06:25 PM
Reported on the radio up here that Roughie most likely to miss start of the season, can anyone confirm ?

bornadog
20-02-2017, 06:29 PM
Reported on the radio up here that Roughie most likely to miss start of the season, can anyone confirm ?

Current report he will be out for about 8 to 10weeks, depends on scans today.

From The Age

Meanwhile the Bulldogs say they are yet to determine the severity of ruckman Jordan Roughead's hamstring injury, suffered in the same game. It was initially feared Roughead had hurt his knee after landing awkwardly following a ruck contest late in the first quarter, but the club has confirmed the injury is hamstring related, with further details likely on Tuesday morning.

"The medicos are working through that at the minute, but there is some pain in the hamstring," Dogs development coach Chris Maple said in Ballarat on Monday during the club's community camp.

"We haven't determined how long [he'll be sidelined] he is sore and we'll find out in the next couple of days."

chef
20-02-2017, 06:38 PM
As long as hes right by September............

Topdog
20-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Since when is a hammy 8-10 weeks?

Sedat
20-02-2017, 08:09 PM
JJ can relate

Twodogs
20-02-2017, 10:09 PM

Depends on the grade of the tear I think.

boydogs
21-02-2017, 12:02 AM
From BF

Roughy's injury is where the hammy attaches to the knee, still unsure if it will need surgery

bornadog
21-02-2017, 12:03 AM
From BF

Roughy's injury is where the hammy attaches to the knee, still unsure if it will need surgery

Who is BF and where is their source.;)

Twodogs
21-02-2017, 12:16 AM
From BF

Then it's a tendon injury? That's less worse.

I'm not even sure where the tendon attaches to the kneebone. Is it at the side or the bottom bit of the middle?

Twodogs
21-02-2017, 12:21 AM
When you think about it rationally it's not normal that we just get over the fact that a percentage of our employees will be recovering from major impact injurys-major concussions, having their face ripped off, jaws and other bones broken-and it's quite usual to have 2 or 3 guys nursing knee reconstructions and all acquired in the normal performance of their duties.

It's a weird, weird industry.

boydogs
21-02-2017, 12:39 AM
Who is BF and where is their source.;)

BigFooty & 3 of our players apparently

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/pre-season-2017-the-quest-for-back-to-back.1151689/page-35#post-48831152

bornadog
21-02-2017, 01:48 PM
Roughead out for at least 8 weeks. He has had surgery for Hamstring injury.

Axe Man
21-02-2017, 01:51 PM
Bad timing for Roughy just when he looked like he was coming into his prime and had found his true position in the ruck. Hopefully back for the second half of the season if he will only commence training in 8 weeks?

Roughead sidelined (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-02-21/roughead-sidelined)

Western Bulldogs ruckman Jordan Roughead has undergone successful surgery last night to a hamstring injury sustained during the opening term of Saturday’s JLT Community Series clash Melbourne.

The 26-year-old is expected to resume training in approximately eight weeks according to Head Physiotherapist Chris Bell.

“Jordan sustained a hamstring tendon injury to the area the tendon inserts on the back of his knee, during a ruck contest on the weekend and has subsequently undergone surgery,” Bell told westernbulldogs.com.au.

“We expect he’ll resume full training in approximately eight weeks.”

Roughead played 25 games in 2016, his highest total in a season, and recorded career highs in disposals, contested possessions, contested marks, goals, goal assists, inside 50s and tackles.

bulldogtragic
21-02-2017, 02:35 PM
If returned to full training in 8 weeks, and was hypothetically back 3 weeks later after a VFL match or two, then that's AFEL round 7 or 8.

Mantis
21-02-2017, 02:40 PM
Not great news, but over to you TC... A big chance to show your worth.

Mofra
21-02-2017, 02:45 PM
TC was preferred for round 1 last year until injured wasn't he?
He gets an extended run at it to really assess where he's at.

Ozza
21-02-2017, 03:04 PM
Yeah - TC has never had any luck really. Whenever he has gotten himself into the team consistently, an injury has taken him out.
Hopefully he can make a good fist of the spot for the first 7 or 8 rounds, and stay healthy.

LostDoggy
21-02-2017, 04:07 PM
If returned to full training in 8 weeks, and was hypothetically back 3 weeks later after a VFL match or two, then that's AFEL round 7 or 8.
Can you please refrain from referring to the AFL as the AFEL? It's very annoying.

bulldogtragic
21-02-2017, 04:13 PM
Can you please refrain from referring to the AFL as the AFEL? It's very annoying.

That extra single letter annoys you very much?

chef
21-02-2017, 04:58 PM
How is it annoying?

Eastdog
21-02-2017, 05:30 PM
Dissapointing to get an injury so early on in our premiership defence but he'll be back before you know it. I was fearing he could have done a knee but it wasn't a knee and was less serious although players who do a knee now come back and can do quite well as 20-25 years ago a knee injury was career ending.

Tom Campbell get the opportunity now. Will be keen to see how he goes? Will the ruck load be shared around somewhat? We know Tom Boyd is pretty good there and we might see Tim English there as well.

westdog54
21-02-2017, 05:30 PM

This post reminds me of a story from the Bodyline series.

English skipper Douglas Jardine approached his Aussie counterpart Bill Woodful that an Aussie fielder had called him a bastard.

Woodful promptly called out "Right, which one of you bastards called this bastard a bastard?"

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
21-02-2017, 07:01 PM
We can't get Camhead back together

bulldogtragic
21-02-2017, 07:44 PM
We can't get Camhead back together

Yet. So it's Camoyd or Boybell until round 7 or 8.

LostDoggy
21-02-2017, 08:39 PM

Or TomTom ;)

Remi Moses
21-02-2017, 09:43 PM
Disappointing for Jordan, but I think Campbell's time must be now .
Even taken into account talls take longer, he's been there for 6 seasons .

westdog54
21-02-2017, 10:46 PM

Boybell just sounds all sorts of wrong.

Twodogs
21-02-2017, 10:54 PM
This post reminds me of a story from the Bodyline series.

English skipper Douglas Jardine approached his Aussie counterpart Bill Woodful that an Aussie fielder had called him a bastard.

Woodful promptly called out "Right, which one of you bastards called this bastard a bastard?"

I reckon that's in Breaker Morant too.

bornadog
22-02-2017, 05:43 PM
Suckling set for return (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-02-22/suckling-set-for-return)
Matthew Suckling has returned to full training after battling an achilles complaint in the second half of last season according to Western Bulldogs Coaching Performance Manager Chris Maple.

Suckling played seventeen matches in his first season at the Kennel and averaged career highs in disposal efficiency (79.5%) and average intercept possessions per game (3.5), while ranking fifth at the Club in average metres gained per contest.

He did not play again after the Semi-Final against the Hawks.

But Maple says Suckling is set to be selected to play in at least one of the two remaining JLT Community Series matches.

“Matty has re-joined the group now, in full training, so he won’t be too far away and hopefully we can see him in the next couple of weeks, Maple told media during the Club’s Australia Post AFL Community Camp visit to Ballarat this week.

“Late in the year he was struggling to get up week to week and obviously missed the Grand Final, but at the moment he is back in full training and, as I said, we should see him in one of the next two JLT’s.”

The 28-year-old Suckling rated above average for a general defender for disposals, uncontested possessions, metres gained and score involvements in 2016 according to Champion Data statistics.

Bulldog4life
22-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Still no news if Bonti is or not injured. He certainly has been out of the news.

bornadog
24-02-2017, 09:57 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5Va7yzVcAAZys0.jpg

Mantis
24-02-2017, 11:24 AM
Still no news if Bonti is or not injured. He certainly has been out of the news.

Mark Stevens mentioned last night that he will play in next Thursday's game v Brisbane... Certainly has been a low key build up, which isn't a bad thing.

divvydan
25-02-2017, 05:50 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-25/big-dog-struck-down-with-ankle-injury

THE WESTERN Bulldogs' ruck department, already missing injured premiership big man Jordan Roughead, have taken another hit after back-up ruckman Tom Campbell hurt an ankle at training on Saturday afternoon....

...Campbell's ankle was then strapped with ice and he hobbled into the rooms.

However, teammate Jack Macrae later told reporters it was probably only a minor problem.

"I think he's all right. I think it was just a little roll of the ankle and I think it was just precautionary," Macrae said.

Hopefully it is alright and at worst he misses the next preseason game. Good opportunity for English to show what he's capable of.

bulldogtragic
25-02-2017, 05:54 PM

Hopefully it is alright and at worst he misses the next preseason game. Good opportunity for English to show what he's capable of.

Hi Tim, welcome to the club. So I see you're just 18,very tall and very skinny. Well then, you're now the number one ruckman!!

bornadog
25-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Hi Tim, welcome to the club. So I see you're just 18,very tall and very skinny. Well then, you're now the number one ruckman!!

Tom Boyd will be number one ruck.

Remi Moses
25-02-2017, 06:23 PM

English looked very impressive today in the intraclub . Ball use and movement for a kid that tall is quite a weapon

GVGjr
25-02-2017, 06:27 PM

I think a number of called out the huge risk we had by not recruiting and then drafting someone capable of filling in for Minson in some capacity.
Roughead and Campbell aren't the most durable of players but we clearly don't rate the position.
Hopefully Campbell can bounce back quickly otherwise it Tom Boyd and host of fill ins for Thursdays nights game against the Lions.

GVGjr
25-02-2017, 06:34 PM
English looked very impressive today in the intraclub . Ball use and movement for a kid that tall is quite a weapon

It possible he might get some limited time in the ruck but I tend to think we will resist the temptation and allow him to play elsewhere.

bulldogtragic
25-02-2017, 06:35 PM
Tom Boyd will be number one ruck.

I understand pinch hitting him in the ruck. But you don't drive a Rolls Royce to the shops in more dangerous conditions. To really hurt teams he needs to be within goal scoring distance for marks, like his first two in the GF. I'd consider Trav as a hybrid fill in ruckman.

bornadog
25-02-2017, 07:02 PM
I understand pinch hitting him in the ruck. But you don't drive a Rolls Royce to the shops in more dangerous conditions. To really hurt teams he needs to be within goal scoring distance for marks, like his first two in the GF. I'd consider Trav as a hybrid fill in ruckman.

No way that will happen. If Campbell doesn't come up, then Boyd will ruck. Support may come from Cordy, or maybe Travis.

chef
25-02-2017, 07:13 PM
Boyds a ruckman, i dont get the issue.

dukedog
25-02-2017, 07:26 PM
I dont see the problem with giving some game time in pre season games to English. Why wouldnt you see how he goes.

bulldogtragic
25-02-2017, 08:02 PM

I don't see him as a first ruck, and don't want him spending too much time rucking. He's tall and strong, so he's going to be OK as a ruck. Buddy Franklin is quick and an elite field kick, but he's not a midfielder. Boyd through his career from 15yo has a goal kicking accuracy of over 70%, that's as Dwayne would say 'crazy good' and better than Lockett & Dunstall. If he can keep clunking contested marks, but with the majority inside 50 then we are potentially going to see big numbers from Tom, even pinch hitting as the second ruckman. But I wouldn't classify him a ruckman and would do as much as possible to make sure he's not spending too much time in the ruck, especially being the main ruck.

It's worth remembering that last year Bevo said that Roughy, Campbell, Redders & Boyd could and would spend time together in the side. I know a bit has changed from the PF & GF, but a 203cm, 100+kg, contested marking young gun who also kicks at over 70% at goal almost never come along. Hence, I argue he should spend as much time forward as he can within the gameplan, being just relief and forward 50 ruckman. We've got Trav to do the yards up the ground to be the big fella to kick to. I'd rather Boyd have the set shots than Trav as a general rule. I don't mind seeing English either, especially against GCS, if Campbell is out.

Mantis
25-02-2017, 10:37 PM
I don't see him as a first ruck, and don't want him spending too much time rucking. He's tall and strong, so he's going to be OK as a ruck. Buddy Frankling is quick and an elite field kick, but he's not a midfielder. Boyd through his career from 15yo has a goal kicking accuracy of over 70%, that's as Dwayne would say 'crazy good' and better than Lockett & Dunstall. If he can keep clunking contested marks, but with the majority inside 50 then we are potentially going to see big numbers from Tom, even pinch hitting as the second ruckman. But I wouldn't classify him a ruckman and would do as much as possible to make sure he's not spending too much time in the ruck, especially being the main ruck. It's worth remembering that last year Bevo said that Roughy, Campbell, Redders & Boyd could and would spend time together in the side. I know a bit has changed from the PF & GF, but a 203cm, 100+kg, contested marking young gun who also kicks at over 70% at goal almost never come along. Hence, I argue he should spend as much time forward as he can within the gameplan, being just relief and forward 50 ruckman. We've got Trav to do the yards up the ground to be the big fella to kick to. I'd rather Boyd have the set shots than Trav as a general rule. I don't mind seeing English either, especially against GCS, if Campbell is out.

A paragraph here or there wouldn't go astray... All I see is a wall of text.

bulldogtragic
25-02-2017, 10:38 PM
A paragraph here or there wouldn't go astray... All I see is a wall of text.

Apologies.

chef
25-02-2017, 11:45 PM
I don't see him as a first ruck, and don't want him spending too much time rucking. He's tall and strong, so he's going to be OK as a ruck. Buddy Franklin is quick and an elite field kick, but he's not a midfielder. Boyd through his career from 15yo has a goal kicking accuracy of over 70%, that's as Dwayne would say 'crazy good' and better than Lockett & Dunstall. If he can keep clunking contested marks, but with the majority inside 50 then we are potentially going to see big numbers from Tom, even pinch hitting as the second ruckman. But I wouldn't classify him a ruckman and would do as much as possible to make sure he's not spending too much time in the ruck, especially being the main ruck.

It's worth remembering that last year Bevo said that Roughy, Campbell, Redders & Boyd could and would spend time together in the side. I know a bit has changed from the PF & GF, but a 203cm, 100+kg, contested marking young gun who also kicks at over 70% at goal almost never come along. Hence, I argue he should spend as much time forward as he can within the gameplan, being just relief and forward 50 ruckman. We've got Trav to do the yards up the ground to be the big fella to kick to. I'd rather Boyd have the set shots than Trav as a general rule. I don't mind seeing English either, especially against GCS, if Campbell is out.

I just dont see him as a KPF. To me hes a ruck who will roam and that is when hes at his most dangerous.

bulldogtragic
25-02-2017, 11:56 PM
I just dont see him as a KPF. To me hes a ruck who will roam and that is when hes at his most dangerous.

Book mark it and we can review it in 2029 :D

Eastdog
26-02-2017, 12:12 AM
No way that will happen. If Campbell doesn't come up, then Boyd will ruck. Support may come from Cordy, or maybe Travis.

On the 7 sports report tonight they said it shouldn't be serious.

Eastdog
26-02-2017, 12:14 AM

It stems from the fact that we recruited him more for the purposes of being a full forward but yes he can play ruck as well.

chef
26-02-2017, 12:25 AM
It stems from the fact that we recruited him more for the purposes of being a full forward but yes he can play ruck as well.

He'd be wasted at FF(is that still a position?). He needs to be able to roam.

Eastdog
26-02-2017, 12:30 AM
He'd be wasted at FF(is that still a position?). He needs to be able to roam.

Yes its not really a bad thing. Players nowadays need to play multiple roles. Bonti midfielder but can drift forward.

GVGjr
26-02-2017, 01:08 AM

Drafted as a key forward, played as a key forward so I assume it's his two games in the finals that changed your view?

chef
26-02-2017, 10:07 AM
Drafted as a key forward, played as a key forward so I assume it's his two games in the finals that changed your view?

Hes only played 2 games as a ruck?

i must be watching a different player to you. To me he has the most impact as a player where he can roam around the ground (like he has done in many many games for us). Hes a ruck who can go forward to me, not a KPF.

GVGjr
26-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Hes only played 2 games as a ruck?

i must be watching a different player to you. To me he has the most impact as a player where he can roam around the ground (like he has done in many many games for us). Hes a ruck who can go forward to me, not a KPF.

Where did I say I challenged your view? I'm asking at what point you saw the transition from being drafted and played primarily as a key forward for you now to be casting as a ruckman first?

He missed a sizeable chunk of games last year so I'd like to get an idea when you formed such a view.

My view is that he will be able to play both roles and he will get a lot better as a forward with confidence of playing a lot of senior football.

chef
26-02-2017, 10:26 AM
Ive been saying he'll end up a ruck/forward as opposed to a KPF for a couple of years now. In all honesty i didnt see him play any under age football so my opinions formed on what ive seen him do since being dtafted.

He reminds me of Paul Salmon.

bornadog
26-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Ive been saying he'll end up a ruck/forward as opposed to a KPF for a couple of years now. In all honesty i didnt see him play any under age football so my opinions formed on what ive seen him do since being dtafted.

He reminds me of Paul Salmon.

I agree with you Chef, he is a Ruck/Fwd, not a Fwd/ruck. Every interview of Tom that is exactly as he sees himself. He made the transition in 2016 and grew with every game he played.

chef
26-02-2017, 12:48 PM
I agree with you Chef, he is a Ruck/Fwd, not a Fwd/ruck. Every interview of Tom that is exactly as he sees himself. He made the transition in 2016 and grew with every game he played.

I get the impression Beverage sees it that way too.

bornadog
26-02-2017, 02:09 PM
I get the impression Beverage sees it that way too.

Bevo's idea of course.

I have had to change my mind since Boyd came to us. I saw him as a pure fullforward, but with the need for a second ruck, he became the ideal player to transform into that role. With Cloke coming into the side, we have our Key Forward.

GVGjr
26-02-2017, 05:10 PM

So where does that leave Roughead and Campbell if Boyd is the first choice ruck?

bornadog
26-02-2017, 05:20 PM
So where does that leave Roughead and Campbell if Boyd is the first choice ruck?

I never said he is first choice, unless the two are both injured.

GVGjr
26-02-2017, 05:26 PM
I never said he is first choice, unless the two are both injured.

So he's a ruckman forward not the other way around but has to be played as a forward ruckman if Roughead or Campbell are available?

I'd say that makes him a forward ruckman

bornadog
26-02-2017, 05:32 PM
So he's a ruckman forward not the other way around but has to be played as a forward ruckman if Roughead or Campbell are available?

So when Roughead goes forward and Boyd goes into the ruck, Roughead becomes a Forward/Ruck.

I think we are playing with words, either way you put it or I put it, he is still playing a role in the ruck and a role up forward. He is not a full time KPP.

GVGjr
26-02-2017, 06:42 PM
So when Roughead goes forward and Boyd goes into the ruck, Roughead becomes a Forward/Ruck.

I think we are playing with words, either way you put it or I put it, he is still playing a role in the ruck and a role up forward. He is not a full time KPP.

No, when fit Roughead is the first string ruckman and goes forward for a breather. I think the plan is to play him somewhere near 80% of the game in the ruck. If the plan is to play Boyd somewhere near 20% of the game in the ruck aren't we wasting his talent?

He can play both positions but I think if he can stay fit and spend even 70% TOG as a forward he will take some big steps on being regarded as a KPF rather than primarily a ruckman.

jazzadogs
27-02-2017, 07:34 AM
Why does he have to one or the other? I think circumstances (Roughead/Campbell not being good enough forwards) will dictate that he plays most of the season in the forward half.

However the two best matches of his career have both come with a higher proportion of ruck time. It's a small sample size, but I think that he looked consistently better and more involved throughout the season, when he played in the ruck.

Whether he's a forward ruck or a ruckman forward is pretty inconsequential. What matters is who else is in the team, and role that dictates for him.

Mofra
27-02-2017, 12:24 PM
No, when fit Roughead is the first string ruckman and goes forward for a breather. I think the plan is to play him somewhere near 80% of the game in the ruck. If the plan is to play Boyd somewhere near 20% of the game in the ruck aren't we wasting his talent?
I don't recall the split ever being that pronounced, more 60/40 or sometimes 70/30 Roughy/Boyd in the ruck.

Quality forward/rucks aren't that common at AFL level really, it seems to be the hardest position to fill so very happy to have Boyd in the role.

bornadog
02-03-2017, 12:32 PM
Tom Campbell (ankle): The ruckman had a mishap at training on Saturday, but the 25-year-old is likely to be available for round one.

Josh Prudden (ACL, TBC): The utility has been eased back into training and is looking at a return to playing early in the season.

Jack Redpath (ACL, TBC): The key forward is progressing well from a traditional knee reconstruction and is expected to make a mid-season return.

Jordan Roughead (hamstring): The premiership ruckman injured his hamstring early in the Dogs' opening JLT Community Series clash and is expected to be unavailable until at least round four of the home and away season.

Mitch Wallis (broken leg, TBC): The 24-year-old is confident of making an impact in 2017, but is yet to announce when he'll return to the field. Began running on an anti-gravity treadmill in recent weeks.

Twodogs
02-03-2017, 06:21 PM
Mitch Wallis has recently begun on that anti gravity running machine since December.

Cyberdoggie
02-03-2017, 06:24 PM

Or perhaps a Fwd Ruck/Fwd ........:)

craigsahibee
03-03-2017, 03:56 PM
Or perhaps a Fwd Ruck/Fwd ........:)

He's also a member of the Peoples' Front of Judea or is it the Judean Peoples Front.

Definitely not the United People's Front.

bornadog
03-03-2017, 06:49 PM
Rookie Roarke to undergo surgery (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-03-03/roarke-to-undergo-surgery-)

The Western Bulldogs today confirmed rookie Roarke Smith has ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee.

Smith injured his left knee in the Club’s JLT Series match against Brisbane on Thursday night, with scans on Friday confirming the news.

Bulldogs Head Physiotherapist and Medical Services Manager Chris Bell said the 20-year-old would undergo traditional surgery.

“Scans today confirmed Roarke has ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament and he will undergo a traditional reconstruction on Monday.

“Roarke’s a highly regarded member of our playing group and we’ll put all our efforts into supporting him through his recovery.”

bulldogtragic
03-03-2017, 06:52 PM
Surely that's the end on the poor kid's career. Two ACL's in under 20 months and now his third rookie year done. Perhaps offer him a spot at Footscray but I can't see how we can have him on our list next year.

bornadog
03-03-2017, 06:54 PM
Surely that's the end on the poor kid's career. Two ACL's in under 20 months and now his third rookie year done. Perhaps offer him a spot at Footscray but I can't see how we can have him on our list next year.

You ruthless prick :D :D

In all seriousness, the club is pretty good at looking after these guys.

Hotdog60
03-03-2017, 07:39 PM
I wonder if the AFL can give a token year if requested due to so much footy missed through injury.

bulldogtragic
03-03-2017, 07:57 PM
You ruthless prick :D :D

In all seriousness, the club is pretty good at looking after these guys.

We need by the rules of today, to elevate him or delist him. I'm not sure how we can elevate him with two ACLs in under 20 months.

Sedat
03-03-2017, 08:12 PM
We need by the rules of today, to elevate him or delist him. I'm not sure how we can elevate him with two ACLs in under 20 months.
Pretty sure there won't be a rookie list next year as part of the new CBA. I'd give him a 1 year contract on the main list for 2018 - he's a talent that I think is good enough at this level. We looked after Prudden and we've also given Hamilton one extra year that might not have been warranted - Smith has both these two covered for talent and potential IMO.

bulldogtragic
03-03-2017, 08:17 PM
Pretty sure there won't be a rookie list next year as part of the new CBA. I'd give him a 1 year contract on the main list for 2018 - he's a talent that I think is good enough at this level. We looked after Prudden and we've also given Hamilton one extra year that might not have been warranted - Smith has both these two covered for talent and potential IMO.

There might be something to that. Interestingly he's having a traditional surgery and not the LARS to get back late this year potentially. If I was in fear my afl career was close to over, I'd have LARS and try to impress in a few games and on the track late this year.

bulldogtragic
03-03-2017, 08:21 PM
Also, is anyone else shitting themselves watching our games so far?

Clay Smith twisted his leg off the ball last night (which looked average, but was nothing), also Jong grabbed the muscles behind his knee, Roarke Smith looked bad immediately. I'm going to be a nervous wreck watching players in contests this year if these two games are anything to go by.

bornadog
03-03-2017, 08:31 PM

Clay Smith twisted his leg off the ball last night (which looked average, but was nothing), also Jong grabbed the muscles behind his knee, Roarke Smith looked bad immediately. I'm going to be a nervous wreck watching players in contests this year if these two games are anything to go by.

I thought suckers looked like he was limping after a tackle in the last

bulldogtragic
03-03-2017, 09:14 PM
I thought suckers looked like he was limping after a tackle in the last

When he grabbed his ankle after that I was ready to freak.

BornInDroopSt'54
04-03-2017, 01:21 PM
You guys are freaking me out.

Twodogs
04-03-2017, 09:23 PM
He's also a member of the Peoples' Front of Judea or is it the Judean Peoples Front.

Definitely not the United People's Front.

Popular Front.

He probably will be kept on next year. Prudden has a lot less potential and they kept him on. I think the club thinks that Smith, R. has a lot of upside in that halfback role. They won't want to let him go before they see whether he can play or not.

He is pretty much at the senior player stage of his development. We won't have to spend a couple more years waiting while he plays at Footscray before finding out if he can play in the AFL team.

He's played some great games at Footscray.

craigsahibee
06-03-2017, 11:30 AM
Popular Front.

Splitter

The Pie Man
06-03-2017, 12:41 PM

Seriously wondering if this is a deliberate technique thing with Clay - minutes to go in the GF, he does the same slide out with the leg after being wrong footed by (I think) Buddy coming out of the square. Looked ordinary, but he was running around straight after it.