03-01-2008, 10:11 AM
B: Morris, Harris, Gilbee
HB: Everitt, McDougall, Williams
C: Griffen, West, Cross
HF: Higgins, Murphy, Ackermanis
F: Hahn, Welsh, Johnson

R: Hudson, Cooney, Boyd

I/C: Minson, Ray, Hargrave, Callan

Out: Gia, Skipper, Addison, Eagleton, Harbrow, Lynch, Hill, O'Shea, Stack, Street, Tiller, Wight, + Kids

Comments:
Back line loaded with height and speed, I think McDougall has looked solid when played as a CHB. Hargrave on the bench gives us some flexibility in the backline and the ability to have one of Everitt, Williams, Gilbee or Hargrave play wing or half forward as needed

Centerline solid and settled with the injection of a hard at it experienced ruckman

Forward line mobile and efficient (but no pack markers which is a bit of a worry)

I/C gives hardness and flexibility

Thoughts?

LostDoggy
03-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Callan and Ray in before Gia? I doubt that. We dont have enough midfielders with the skills of Gia. He must play, his 07 wasnt as bad as everyone makes out. I would play him before Akermanis anyway

LostDoggy
03-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Not a bad line up but the forwardline could do with some work. It looks like it has for the past 2 years but instead of Robbins there is Welsh.

I think Minson has to be tried deep, be it in the pocket or at FF.

Heres how i would line up the forwardline:

HF: Aker Murphy Hahn
F: Johnson Minson Welsh

I have a few concerns there though.
If Welsh goes down then who will replace him?
Can Murphy handle the work load?
Could Williams push forward?

LostDoggy
03-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Bulldogs should spend some cash and use the last 1min 30 or so of the Arcade Fire song 'no cars go' for a membership advert on tv. Play it over player footage and crowd footage

mjp
03-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Bulldogs should spend some cash and use the last 1min 30 or so of the Arcade Fire song 'no cars go' for a membership advert on tv. Play it over player footage and crowd footage

Cool track. I would have prefered 'Positive Jam' by the Hold Steady, but that's just me.

Mantis
03-01-2008, 12:38 PM
1. If Welsh goes down then who will replace him?
2. Can Murphy handle the work load?
3. Could Williams push forward?

1. Tiller or Grant (late in the season) as talls. Higgins, Gia, Harbrow, Lynch, etc as a small target.

2. Yes

3. No. Need him to play another full year in defence before we consider a move forward. If he gets to the point where he can pick up a player like Riewoldt he can learn how to play as a forward off them.

LostDoggy
03-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Cool track. I would have prefered 'Positive Jam' by the Hold Steady, but that's just me.

Just think the end of 'no cars go' tick more boxes. Trendy, modern, motivational and would appeal to a new audience plus excite traditional bulldog fans.

LostDoggy
03-01-2008, 01:18 PM
I have no doubt Minson will be tried there for periods as well as rucking (which is why he is listed on the bench). A fit Hahn and Murphy would make a massive difference to the forward line (this wasn't the case for 2007) and Welsh gives use more marking power than Robbins. If Welsh goes Tiller is next in line IMHO (or maybe Skipper but we are very thin on the ground in the forward line). Cooney can always push forward and Hargrave could provide some options around half forward. Gia won't be fit by round 1 as far as I can tell so I left him out of the line up but I am sure he will play a part in 2008.

Not a bad line up but the forwardline could do with some work. It looks like it has for the past 2 years but instead of Robbins there is Welsh.

I think Minson has to be tried deep, be it in the pocket or at FF.

Heres how i would line up the forwardline:

HF: Aker Murphy Hahn
F: Johnson Minson Welsh

I have a few concerns there though.
If Welsh goes down then who will replace him?
Can Murphy handle the work load?
Could Williams push forward?

Dry Rot
03-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Backline and ruck/midfield look good.

The forward line looks depressing similar to the past couple of seasons and hardly top 4 material IMHO.

LostDoggy
03-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Unless there are a complete change of things in pre-season, McDougall isn't in the best 22 and Minson will definetely start at FF.
Hargrave on the bench, I don't think so.

LostDoggy
03-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Unless there are a complete change of things in pre-season, McDougall isn't in the best 22 and Minson will definetely start at FF.
Hargrave on the bench, I don't think so.

This is obviously the coaches prefernce and not 2007 form related. Based on form he would be lucky to get a game or as the example you used with McDougall, he isn't in our best 22 at the moment.
I would wait until the pre season games before considering Minson a done deal as the FF.

LostDoggy
03-01-2008, 01:38 PM
B: Morris, Harris, Gilbee
HB: Everitt, McDougall, Williams
C: Griffen, West, Cross
HF: Higgins, Murphy, Ackermanis
F: Hahn, Welsh, Johnson

R: Hudson, Cooney, Boyd

I/C: Minson, Ray, Hargrave, Callan

Out: Gia, Skipper, Addison, Eagleton, Harbrow, Lynch, Hill, O'Shea, Stack, Street, Tiller, Wight, + Kids

Comments:
Back line loaded with height and speed, I think McDougall has looked solid when played as a CHB. Hargrave on the bench gives us some flexibility in the backline and the ability to have one of Everitt, Williams, Gilbee or Hargrave play wing or half forward as needed

Centerline solid and settled with the injection of a hard at it experienced ruckman

Forward line mobile and efficient (but no pack markers which is a bit of a worry)

I/C gives hardness and flexibility

Thoughts?

Welcome to woof.

I think you have got this nearlt right.
Callan - lets wait and see.
McDougall - as above.
Hargrave- will start on the ground not coming off the bench
Eagle and Harbrow should be in the mix.

Mantis
03-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Backline and ruck/midfield look good.

The forward line looks depressing similar to the past couple of seasons and hardly top 4 material IMHO.

I think all is dependant on the midfield. If we win the clearances and get clean ball going forward we will have no trouble kicking winning scores. We may not have alot of size up front, but we have talent in spades. Sure our forwards have to work harder at locking the ball in, but in one on one competitions not to many of our forwards lose out.

Personally our backline still looks shaky, but am hoping that Williams and McDougall can continue to improve on last year to give us the size down there we have required for many a year.

Bulldog Revolution
03-01-2008, 04:26 PM
I think all is dependant on the midfield. If we win the clearances and get clean ball going forward we will have no trouble kicking winning scores. We may not have alot of size up front, but we have talent in spades. Sure our forwards have to work harder at locking the ball in, but in one on one competitions not to many of our forwards lose out.

Personally our backline still looks shaky, but am hoping that Williams and McDougall can continue to improve on last year to give us the size down there we have required for many a year.

Good point Mantis - we got none of the clean breaks to Cooney et al to set up easy goals in 2007.

I am still concerned that we dont have the pipeline of quality talls on the list capable of being key forwards but I guess it doesn't matter what I think

Mantis
03-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Good point Mantis - we got none of the clean breaks to Cooney et al to set up easy goals in 2007.

I am still concerned that we dont have the pipeline of quality talls on the list capable of being key forwards but I guess it doesn't matter what I think

I really think they are going to try and make do with what they have until players such as Tiller, Grant, Boumann, Everitt and Williams develop there bodies and skills (hopefully) so that they may play as the key forwards we desperately require.

mjp
03-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Given that last year, we played with one leading forward (mostly Johnson) and one stay at home (mostly Hahn)...and that was really it for fixed positions, is this question even relevent in 2008?

To write down a team showing 6 forwards, 6 defenders, a centreline and followers might be meaningful to supporters, but it really has nothing to do with how the team will line up.

al_smith07
03-01-2008, 09:16 PM
What do you guys think of Ray coming off a half back flank, He has good size about him and has great endurance, I just think he gets lost on a wing this way he has to be accountable and can run off his opponent.
As far as a tall in the goalsquare is concerned im not not sure will is the answer and without being a champion i wouldnt mind seeing Mcdougal coming out of the square

GVGjr
03-01-2008, 09:19 PM
What do you guys think of Ray coming off a half back flank, He has good size about him and has great endurance, I just think he gets lost on a wing this way he has to be accountable and can run off his opponent.
As far as a tall in the goalsquare is concerned im not not sure will is the answer and without being a champion i wouldnt mind seeing Mcdougal coming out of the square

I really like that suggestion. I think it could be the making of him. He hasn't got McMahon's outright speed but he could really cover the run that he did provide us.

Dogs 24/7
03-01-2008, 09:26 PM
I have no doubt Minson will be tried there for periods as well as rucking (which is why he is listed on the bench). A fit Hahn and Murphy would make a massive difference to the forward line (this wasn't the case for 2007) and Welsh gives use more marking power than Robbins. If Welsh goes Tiller is next in line IMHO (or maybe Skipper but we are very thin on the ground in the forward line). Cooney can always push forward and Hargrave could provide some options around half forward. Gia won't be fit by round 1 as far as I can tell so I left him out of the line up but I am sure he will play a part in 2008.

All valid reasons but as others have mentioned I dont think Hargrave will be a bench player.

al_smith07
03-01-2008, 09:26 PM
And while McMahons run was great and he would break the lines well his defence was ordinary i just thought he got pushed off the ball a bit to easy, With someone like Griffen who is an accountable defender and rarely gets pushed off the ball or beaten in a one on one contest.

Dogs 24/7
03-01-2008, 09:29 PM
And while McMahons run was great and he would break the lines well his defence was ordinary i just thought he got pushed off the ball a bit to easy, With someone like Griffen who is an accountable defender and rarely gets pushed off the ball or beaten in a one on one contest.
McMahon was patchy with his defence. Some days he was switched on and others he was just a casual observer. He could have been a brilliant player for us but he wasnt what I would call a team player.

LostDoggy
03-01-2008, 11:49 PM
B: Morris Harris Hargrave
HB: Everitt Williams Gilbee
C: Ray Boyd Griffen
HF: Akermanis Hahn Murphy
F: Johnson Welsh Higgins

R: Hudson Cross Cooney
Int: Minson West Giansiracusa Wight
Emg: Skipper Harbrow Addison

West to play as a tagger - probably wont start on the bench, but will be moved to a position with a suitable tag. Westy is an absolute champion, but I cant see us winning a premiership with him being the man in the middle. He has lost his pace and cant kick more than 40m. Boyd and Cross have been groomed to take over as the work engines in the middle.

LostDoggy
03-01-2008, 11:54 PM
McMahon was patchy with his defence. Some days he was switched on and others he was just a casual observer. He could have been a brilliant player for us but he wasnt what I would call a team player.

Heres how i sum up the McMahon situation. We lost a replaceable player and in return we got a 200 game players that is dedicated beyond belief.

hujsh
04-01-2008, 01:14 AM
Heres how i sum up the McMahon situation. We lost a replaceable player and in return we got a 200 game players that is dedicated beyond belief.

And we have Tim Callan to do a defensive job in the short term if needed.

FrediKanoute
04-01-2008, 06:46 AM
Here's my starting line-up for R1 2008

Callan Harris Williams
Gilbee McDougall Hargraves
Griffin Cross Eagleton
Gia (if fit o/w Hahn) Murphy Akermanis
Johnson Minson Welsh

Hudson Cooney West

Skipper (if fit), Hahn, Boyd, Ray (Wight if Skip not fit), (Everitt if Hahn replaces Gia)

A few curly ones:

1. Everitt - I think if we are honest he was good last year, but is still young and time at Williamstown wont hurt him. I hope he plays between 10 and 15 games in 08;
2. Callan - arguably could have gone with Everitt, but I think he's been recruited for a reason and that is to stiffen up defence, maybe freeing Gilbee, but mostly to make the defence more accountable
3. mcDougall - reckon hed eserves first crack at CHB. If it works we have a find! if it doesn't then we try Williams/Everitt/Hargrave/Wight
4. Hahn - adds toughness, but his kicking and skills are not the best. I see him doing a pinch hitting role and could see him coming off the bench to replace Minson should the FF experiment fail.
5. Minson - Rocket has stated he'll get first crack at CHF and hopefully it will work. We ask nothing more of Wilbur than to contest and bring the ball to ground!
6. eagleton - deserves to start, but the query is whether he will finish the season in the team. Big year for him!

Dry Rot
04-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Here's my starting line-up for R1 2008

Callan Harris Williams
Griffin Cross Eagleton
Johnson Minson Welsh

Hudson Cooney West

Skipper (if fit), Hahn, Boyd, Ray (Wight if Skip not fit), (Everitt if Hahn replaces Gia)

A few curly ones:

1. Everitt - I think if we are honest he was good last year, but is still young and time at Williamstown wont hurt him. I hope he plays between 10 and 15 games in 08;
2. Callan - arguably could have gone with Everitt, but I think he's been recruited for a reason and that is to stiffen up defence, maybe freeing Gilbee, but mostly to make the defence more accountable
3. mcDougall - reckon hed eserves first crack at CHB. If it works we have a find! if it doesn't then we try Williams/Everitt/Hargrave/Wight
4. Hahn - adds toughness, but his kicking and skills are not the best. I see him doing a pinch hitting role and could see him coming off the bench to replace Minson should the FF experiment fail.
5. Minson - Rocket has stated he'll get first crack at CHF and hopefully it will work. We ask nothing more of Wilbur than to contest and bring the ball to ground!
6. eagleton - deserves to start, but the query is whether he will finish the season in the team. Big year for him!

No Morris?

FrediKanoute
04-01-2008, 09:28 PM
No Morris?

Yeah and also realised I'd left off Higgins......hmmmmm maybe I should re-think!

Dry Rot
05-01-2008, 12:30 AM
Yeah and also realised I'd left off Higgins......hmmmmm maybe I should re-think!

It's interesting that there seems to be a lot of competition for the last few places.

Ditto your selection of Callan - I reckon he may be there too, we don't have too many such defensive players.

FrediKanoute
05-01-2008, 02:14 AM
It's interesting that there seems to be a lot of competition for the last few places.

Ditto your selection of Callan - I reckon he may be there too, we don't have too many such defensive players.

Yeah, I think that they want that extra defensive player in the side, maybe because of his versatility (ie plays back or plays on the ball as a tagger). To change my selections, I'd have Morris starting on the field and would probably drop from the starting 18 Williams. Higgins would also get a game probably starting on the bench. Hence my revised team would probably be:

Callan Harris Morris
Griffin Cross Eagleton
Johnson Minson Welsh

Hudson Cooney West

Williams, Hahn, Boyd, Ray/Higgins to fight it out (Everitt if Hahn replaces Gia)

Harbrow_hero
05-01-2008, 01:19 PM
would we play 3 ruckmen if Big Will gos forward?

LostDoggy
05-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I think that they want that extra defensive player in the side, maybe because of his versatility (ie plays back or plays on the ball as a tagger). To change my selections, I'd have Morris starting on the field and would probably drop from the starting 18 Williams. Higgins would also get a game probably starting on the bench. Hence my revised team would probably be:

Callan Harris Morris
Griffin Cross Eagleton
Johnson Minson Welsh

Hudson Cooney West

Williams, Hahn, Boyd, Ray/Higgins to fight it out (Everitt if Hahn replaces Gia)

I just cannot select Callan for the first game without actually seeing him play or train.
I think Morris is best suited to minding the smalld now so he should be our defensive lock down player. McDougall is another I couldnt select in all confidence until I see him playing. I was happy enough with his form but I do have Williams ahead of him. Id also have Boyd ahead of Eagleton even though Im a fan of Eagles.

hujsh
05-01-2008, 04:03 PM
would we play 3 ruckmen if Big Will gos forward?

He'd have do well as a forward for him to stay there full time

Dogs 24/7
05-01-2008, 04:11 PM
He'd have do well as a forward for him to stay there full time

He would have to be just about the biggest improver on the team if he was to play close to the full season as a forward. I hope he can but I wouldn't put money on it.

LostDoggy
07-01-2008, 12:24 PM

Callan Harris Morris
Griffin Cross Eagleton
Johnson Minson Welsh

Hudson Cooney West

Personally, I think that having most players available is highlighting the fact that we have some great depth now.
The starting line up could be a number of combinations.

Issues with what to do with Callan, Minson, Hargraves, Gilbee, Morris, Higgins, Everitt etc are good problems to have.

Hopefully the right one will be on the field come round 1.....:D