PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Under 9's to Over 9's 2017

bulldogtragic
04-12-2016, 10:38 PM
The following list of players didn't play more than 9 games in 2016. Under 9's.

Who have you got bragging rights on by correctly judging them to play over 9 games in 2017:

Cordy
Prudden
Campbell
Hamilton
Honeychurch
English
Lipinski
Dale
Roarke Smith
Brad Lynch
Mullenger-McHugh
Young
Greene
Collins
Williams
Webb
*Crameri (susp)
*Cloke (filth)
*Bob (ACL)

Twodogs
04-12-2016, 10:49 PM
The following list of players didn't play more than 9 games in 2016. Under 9's.

Who have you got bragging rights on by correctly judging them to play over 9 games in 2017:

Cordy
Prudden
Campbell
Hamilton
Honeychurch
English
Lipinski
Dale
Roarke Smith
Brad Lynch
Mullenger-McHugh
Young
Greene
Collins
Williams
Webb
*Crameri (susp)
*Cloke (filth)
*Bob (ACL)

Collins maybes

bulldogtragic
04-12-2016, 10:53 PM
Collins maybes

8 players coming in with over 9 games. I'm not good at math, but a fair few players have got to go backwards. Any names?

LostDoggy
04-12-2016, 10:56 PM
Mostly agree with TD, would add Williams, but not so sure about Campbell (the Roughy/Boyd combo is surely aption A now and can't see us playing a 3rd Ruck. Will get opportunity at some point, probably reliant on one of the other 2 getting injured or suffering poor form).

LostDoggy
04-12-2016, 11:06 PM
8 players coming in with over 9 games. I'm not good at math, but a fair few players have got to go backwards. Any names?

From last year's over 9s, Hamling and Stevens are gone and Wallis and Redpath are unlikely to be available for a good chunk of the year. That's 4 certain/probable omissions and at least a couple of others will likely suffer injuries covering several weeks, so 6 or more opportunities for significant senior game time should be available before form considerations are taken into account.

hujsh
04-12-2016, 11:09 PM
Cordy
Williams
One of Webb/Dale
*Crameri (susp)
*Cloke (filth)
*Bob (ACL)

These are the ones I'm most comfortable with. It's probably a conservative estimate as I'd be surprised if most didn't have Cordy and Williams down as big improvers this year

comrade
05-12-2016, 08:31 AM
I'm going to pick Williams as my lock, and Greene as my smokie.

LostDoggy
05-12-2016, 08:38 AM
My smokie is Roarke Smith.

1eyedog
05-12-2016, 11:45 AM
None will play more than 9 games other than the bottom 3.

Twodogs
05-12-2016, 01:18 PM
None will play more than 9 games other than the bottom 3.

Some of them will have to if we are going to win the flag again.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-12-2016, 01:55 PM
Agree with calls on Cordy and Williams.

I think Dale is a real chance to have a breakout year. Watching him in the VFL, he's a class above but it's his endurance which had been holding him back from completely dominating. At AFL level, it's a combination of endurance/strength. Another strong pre-season and I think he's going to mature quite a bit in 2017.

He's my "one to watch".

1eyedog
05-12-2016, 02:49 PM
Some of them will have to if we are going to win the flag again.

Why? They didn't this year and we had the worst run of injuries in recent history. Crameri's back, Cloke will play, Jong and Murphy will play. Sure we'll cop some injuries but even if we cop three 12 week injuries it would still be a bridge to far to expect one player will play all of them.

If it's based on form / structure Williams showed the most last year and Campbell may ruck if want to structure up differently in our big man department.

Any player in that list has to win a spot over Suckling / Jong / Wallis / Murphy / Dunkley and McLean and not only win that position but stay there for significant weeks.

I'm not convinced.

Twodogs
05-12-2016, 02:57 PM
Why? They didn't this year and we had the worst run of injuries in recent history. Crameri's back, Cloke will play, Jong and Murphy will play. Sure we'll cop some injuries but even if we cop three 12 week injuries it would still be a bridge to far to expect one player will play all of them.

If it's based on form / structure Williams showed the most last year and Campbell may ruck if want to structure up differently in our big man department.

Any player in that list has to win a spot over Suckling / Jong / Wallis / Murphy / Dunkley and McLean and not only win that position but stay there for significant weeks.

I'm not convinced.

That's exactly my point. Those new guys have to create enough pressure on those established guys in order to create the amount of improvement we will need to be competitive enough to win the premiership. In doing that a couple of them have to push the established guys out long enough to play 9 games.

1eyedog
05-12-2016, 04:21 PM
That's exactly my point. Those new guys have to create enough pressure on those established guys in order to create the amount of improvement we will need to be competitive enough to win the premiership. In doing that a couple of them have to push the established guys out long enough to play 9 games.

I reckon everyone knows that every position is susceptible to revision and that there are a number of players who can play multiple roles. Crameri, Stringer and Macrae have all been dropped over the past two seasons. That's a massive statement and strong incentive to not become complacent. My point is I don't see anyone in the list above who has the capability to push out a very strong best 22, baring injury of course. Maybe Williams?

Fitting in Cloke, Crameri, Murphy, perhaps Jong and eventually Wallis will be difficult enough meaning the next tier down [Dunkley / Mclean] will be on the cusp. There's premiership players who may struggle to play 9 games such is the depth and quality of our list.

Feels excellent to say that.

merantau
06-12-2016, 06:03 PM
Dunkley and McLean were very good, especially in the finals. But as pointed out, our list is so strong, they will come under pressure. Campbell, if he gets a look in, will have to really make it count to stay in. The same could be said for Lin Jong. The MC will have its hands full in 2017.

Eastdog
06-12-2016, 09:06 PM
Any chance for Honeychurch? Will be tough but could he be the one who can breakthrough.

LostDoggy
07-12-2016, 10:30 PM
My smokie is Brad Lynch.