PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Finals Play

1eyedog
10-12-2016, 03:27 PM
Carrying on the theme of Sedat's excellent favourite Grand Final presentation thread I thought I'd start a thread about your favourite finals moment. Kicking 7 on the trot against the Hawks was glorious, but this one is mine. In the middle of hostile territory against the best the AFL could throw at us and we plant the seed of doubt with 10 minutes left with this. The roar at the ground was incredible and the way we opened them up to score gave all of us belief after a very nervous third quarter.

What's yours?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OvaaGgQinc

jeemak
10-12-2016, 03:42 PM
Picken setting the tone with his marking in the WCE game stood out for me, but I suppose that's not just one play in itself. The Bont making Hodge look old and pathetic brought me joy. Obviously the Boyd goal was magnificent after the Morris tackle, which leads me to point to the team goals as being the most special.

The two that I'm most fond of are Daniel's in the third of the GWS game, and Picken's second in the final quarter of the GF. They to me typified the bloody mindedness and relentlessness of the group and to see them both live was an absolute privilege.

Twodogs
10-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Stringer spotting up Dickson with 28 seconds to go in the prelim. Jake couldn't have known there was only 28 seconds left on the clock at the time but I did and it was party time. I was in the front yard screaming and punching the air by the time the siren went.

Twodogs
10-12-2016, 03:54 PM
The Bont making the all round top bloke look a goose is something that I am glad I have captured on video in several formats. I can't decide which bit of Hodge looking silly is best. Bont standing on his head is my fave at the moment.

Bulldog4life
10-12-2016, 05:38 PM
Mine is Zaine Cordy's goal in the first quarter. For a young guy playing out of position all finals series he was fantastic. As well as kicking a couple of goals a match his defensive pressure was elite. But that first goal he kicked in the grand final sticks in my mind. A beautiful kick from the boundary. One I didn't expect.

LostDoggy
10-12-2016, 05:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0jcDDWDL_Q
So many to choose from, but Bont's nonchalant stripping of Hodge setting up the sealer against Hawthorn (shortly after kicking one himself) was extremely satisfying (around 20:40 of the above).

Twodogs
10-12-2016, 06:08 PM
Mine is Zaine Cordy's goal in the first quarter. For a young guy playing out of position all finals series he was fantastic. As well as kicking a couple of goals a match his defensive pressure was elite. But that first goal he kicked in the grand final sticks in my mind. A beautiful kick from the boundary. One I didn't expect.

The tackle that earned the free kick was a ripper too. The Sydney player took Zaine on and came off second best.

Bulldog4life
10-12-2016, 06:19 PM
The tackle that earned the free kick was a ripper too. The Sydney player took Zaine on and came off second best.

Yes it was fantastic. Moments before that he really hurt Hannerbery with a big tackle too. His effort in the finals was underrated by the media. It will be interesting to see how Clokey compares to him.

Twodogs
10-12-2016, 07:04 PM
Yes it was fantastic. Moments before that he really hurt Hannerbery with a big tackle too. His effort in the finals was underrated by the media. It will be interesting to see how Clokey compares to him.

I Thought Zaine had a big effect on the game.

comrade
10-12-2016, 09:10 PM
1. JJ to Bont
2. Tom Boyd's bomb
3. Caleb Daniel's team goal
4. Bont eating Luke Hodge's soul...twice
5. Roughy's mark and running goal from 50+ v Eagles

Twodogs
11-12-2016, 01:30 AM
Actually the whole freakin' thing was one continuous highlight from five minutes into the elimination Final until the ball hit the goalpost as the siren sounded in the Grand Final. Apart from Jong's injury I can't think of a lowlight over the whole month.

LostDoggy
11-12-2016, 03:19 AM
Actually the whole freakin' thing was one continuous highlight from five minutes into the elimination Final until the ball hit the goalpost as the siren sounded in the Grand Final. Apart from Jong's injury I can't think of a lowlight over the whole month.

Whole thing must be a glorious blur TD. Ball hit the goalpost after the siren in the Prelim (Dicko), not the GF (Magic) :)

Twodogs
11-12-2016, 05:01 AM
Whole thing must be a glorious blur TD. Ball hit the goalpost after the siren in the Prelim (Dicko), not the GF (Magic) :)

I thought they both hit the post but I will happily admit I really wasn't focussing 100% on it atThe time

soupman
11-12-2016, 05:26 AM
Maybe not the best, but Caleb Daniel's gather and goal inside of a second on the 50m line against West Coast was awesome.

That was one of the moments of the finals series for me, because we were typically wasteful despite early dominance prior to that, and that goal just came out of nowhere and set the tone that we were going to punish the Eagles.

1eyedog
11-12-2016, 09:28 AM
Maybe not the best, but Caleb Daniel's gather and goal inside of a second on the 50m line against West Coast was awesome.

That was one of the moments of the finals series for me, because we were typically wasteful despite early dominance prior to that, and that goal just came out of nowhere and set the tone that we were going to punish the Eagles.

Good call. It was really just a kick forward from the 50 and he was less than 50% chance from there. That he got the spiral and it went through made me feel that we may have the rub of the green for once in this match.

Ozza
11-12-2016, 10:19 AM
JJ to the Bont goal is my favourite for sure.

Just on the Bont v Hodge marking contest that others have mentioned;
I may have told this story before on here, I can't remember - but Hodge was one of the panelists/guests at a Grand Final breakfast that I went to, and Sam Kekovich was stirring Hodge up about that contest. Hodge took it well and talked a bit about the Bont.

To paraphrase, Hodge said: "When I came into the league, at 185cms, I was considered a big bodied midfielder. Now you've got the Bont, who in the midfield has time and vision like Pendelbury does. But then he pushes forward, and he's about 195 and 94 kilo's and you're trying to match up on him - and the next thing you're laying on the ground seeing stars!".

choconmientay
11-12-2016, 11:40 AM
The last 2 minutes of the Pre-lim was really special.

59s into this video, where Magic worked his 'magic' through the stoppage and brought the ball forward and won us the game, give us a shot at the big dance:

https://youtu.be/HRwSAyugiI0

btw, guys, did you see JJ ran into the protected zone (19s) and 'could' have given away 50m penalty and what would has happened then ... ;)

choconmientay
11-12-2016, 12:59 PM
This passage of play stuck in my memory.
MBoyd kicked out from our own half. Sequence of players involved: TBoyd - Hunter - Dunkley - Bonti - Dickson - Libba from nowhere, came out with the ball - Stringer tap to Dahlhaus - Dahlhaus got tackled but hand ball away - Smith big hit on Griffen, ball got loose and picked up by Daniel and Goalllllllllllllllllllllllll with just seconds to go in the third quarter to get us back within a point.

https://youtu.be/rRQEM417iAY

The two that I'm most fond of are Daniel's in the third of the GWS game, and Picken's second in the final quarter of the GF. They to me typified the bloody mindedness and relentlessness of the group and to see them both live was an absolute privilege.

choconmientay
11-12-2016, 01:06 PM
Another passage of play and persistent efforts from Shane Biggs to keep the ball tight up forward. It resulted in the end with Picko kicked the goal but credits has to go Biggsy.

https://youtu.be/sXftCtcv5PU
Btw, McLean and Tom Boyd put in the blocks to clear the way for Picko.

1eyedog
11-12-2016, 02:38 PM
4:42. When this happened I knew we were home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ55RMKIgJI

choconmientay
11-12-2016, 03:00 PM

Agreed with his defensive pressure was really excellent. Just a few seconds before the tackle on Mills, he took on Grundy and slammed him into the MCG turf and then gone again after Mills :)

I extract that bit of play from Youtube:

https://youtu.be/1xOpSXu-4HE
Love his celebration in front of so many dogs fans

choconmientay
11-12-2016, 03:27 PM
4. Bont eating Luke Hodge's soul...twice

The Bont making the all round top bloke look a goose is something that I am glad I have captured on video in several formats. I can't decide which bit of Hodge looking silly is best. Bont standing on his head is my fave at the moment.

So many to choose from, but Bont's nonchalant stripping of Hodge setting up the sealer against Hawthorn

^^^^ Looked like we have a theme going on here :)

https://youtu.be/9xbrYzDpD3s

choconmientay
11-12-2016, 03:28 PM
^^^^

https://youtu.be/ULMwKNMtAnc

merantau
11-12-2016, 04:33 PM
MBoyd kicked out from our own half. Sequence of players involved: TBoyd - Hunter - Dunkley - Bonti - Dickson - Libba from nowhere, came out with the ball - Stringer tap to Dahlhaus - Dahlhaus got tackled but hand ball away - Smith big hit on Griffen, ball got loose and picked up by Daniel and Goalllllllllllllllllllllllll with just seconds to go in the third quarter to get us back within a point.

I've looked at this play many times and it looks to me that the ball either spills from Libba or he executes a lightning hand pass in Macrae's direction and he does a little deft kick with the outside of his right foot to Stringer ...
and the rest is HISTORY!! Play of the year!
What do others think? Am I reading too much into Macrae's involvement?

merantau
11-12-2016, 05:27 PM
No, I've looked at it frame by frame now - Libba handball to Stringer, tap on .... Great team goal.
Equally great: Picken's 2nd in the GF. Unrelenting pressure for 45 secs then sublime execution under pressure from Liam.
Individual effort? Tory Dickson getting off the deck surrounded by two GWS defenders and goaling.

Stringer's one hand take and snap.
But for sheer adrenaline pumping, delirium inducingness - JJ to the Bont in space and he explodes into action and fires the ball over the goal umpires head. And the roar is deafening.

Twodogs
11-12-2016, 05:48 PM
But for sheer adrenaline pumping, delirium inducingness - JJ to the Bont in space and he explodes into action and fires the ball over the goal umpires head. And the roar is deafening.

After watching that sort of thing happen to us so many times in the past it was wonderful, joyous and life affirming to watch two bulldog players display a beautiful bit of skill executed and orchestrate it perfectly between the two of them to drive a dagger straight into the heart of an opposition set of supporters. I just hope that the next time we destroy a dream that it will be against a proper footy club with real supporters. GWS will be history inside a decade and most acheivments against them will fade the same way Univerity We won't have anyone to shit stir about the PM in years to come.

jeemak
11-12-2016, 06:17 PM
What about Daniel's slick taking of the ball with one hand in the third of the WCE game and putting it into the forward line behind the defence quick as a flash.

Glorious.

1eyedog
11-12-2016, 08:29 PM
What about Stringer's foot trap to snap the goal against the Hawks? We really needed one and Picken was tight against the boundary and managed a centering ball and Stringer jacked it, picked it up and snapped. Touch of magic.

Eastdog
12-12-2016, 12:51 AM
The last 2 minutes of the Pre-lim was really special.

59s into this video, where Magic worked his 'magic' through the stoppage and brought the ball forward and won us the game, give us a shot at the big dance:

https://youtu.be/HRwSAyugiI0

btw, guys, did you see JJ ran into the protected zone (19s) and 'could' have given away 50m penalty and what would has happened then ... ;)

Chills go through me. That was just amazing.

Eastdog
12-12-2016, 12:56 AM
I will say

- Some of Tom Boyd's marking in the grand final was just excellent.

- The Stringer special towards the end of the GF was good - didn't have the best ever game but comes up when it matters most.

- Morris also at the back was excellent and that prelim final was a great example of what make his a great player.

- Picken another one who did many great things and is simply in career best form.

- Will need to rematch those great games again but I'm sure there are many more that I haven't mentioned.

I was at the shops today and a worker in one of the stores noticed my Bulldog cap and turns out he was a Doggies supporter too and said what a year it has been. He thought Lin Jong should have probably played in the GF and I said he was excellent in the VFL GF. Just so much to look forward to and some great personnel coming back.

LostDoggy
12-12-2016, 01:17 AM

That dogged determination in that passage of play is brilliant. That is my second favourite play behind Biggs' effort in the GF.

LostDoggy
12-12-2016, 01:19 AM
I've looked at this play many times and it looks to me that the ball either spills from Libba or he executes a lightning hand pass in Macrae's direction and he does a little deft kick with the outside of his right foot to Stringer ...
and the rest is HISTORY!! Play of the year!
What do others think? Am I reading too much into Macrae's involvement?
What you can't actually tell from the replay is that Bonti gets the ball to Libba via a tunnel ball between his legs. It was amazing.

Sedat
12-12-2016, 02:09 AM
The final goal in the GF is a great example of our ability to do the small things well and to keep the ball in perpetual motion, even under extreme pressure - M Boyd on hands and knees at half back about to get tackled so he taps to Roberts, who smartly taps to Morris before he also gets pinged. Morris then handballs to JJ on the move who spots up Dunks on his own on the wing. Dunks kicks to a contest favouring the Swans, but Stringer does well to tackle the Swans player without infringing. The ball spills free to Dahl front and centre who handballs to Daniel who then handballs to Stringer who is already on the move after laying the initial tackle. Stringer then bounces along half forward and burns off his opponents, assisted by T Boyd's shepherded, and centres to Picken in the goal square instead of blazing away. Picko cleverly brings the ball to ground to lose his opponent and the rest is history.

Poetry in motion from start to finish.

1eyedog
12-12-2016, 09:11 AM
Clay Smith's 4 goals against GWS? The difference?

Ozza
12-12-2016, 10:25 AM

Was an enormous game from Clay. From memory he had around 25 possessions as well.

Every player in the team had at least one game in the finals where they were quite outstanding, or at the very least a big half.

hujsh
12-12-2016, 10:26 AM
One thing I've noticed on the replay of GWS that maybe goes by without mention is that there are plays in the second half where Stringer gets the ball and does his usual fend off but then gives the ball off to someone in a better position (Zordy and JJ). It didn't result in a goal and if Stringer had done the usual thing and kicked them himself his finals campaign might be more highly rated but I think it was a really good sign going forward because it was a)unselfish b)clever and c) it means the opposition can't commit to tackling Stringer knowing any indication that he's going to handball is just a feint.

Maybe not my favourite play but something I can appreciate more in hindsight.

bornadog
12-12-2016, 12:11 PM
One thing I've notices on the replay of GWS that maybe goes by without mention is that there are plays in the second half where Stringer gets the ball and does his usual fend off but then gives the ball off to someone in a better position (Zordy and JJ). It didn't result in a goal and if Stringer had done the usual thing and kicked them himself his finals campaign might be more highly rated but I think it was a really good sign going forward because it was a)unselfish b)clever and c) it means the opposition can't commit to tackling Stringer knowing any indication that he's going to handball is just a feint.

Maybe not my favourite play but something I can appreciate more in hindsight.

I noticed the Swans really targeted Stringer in the GF. Everytime he went near the ball he was tackled hard, especially from Heeney and a few others. He will need to learn to deal with this sort of treatment, and by doing the little things as you mention, he is still playing an effective team game.

The Pie Man
12-12-2016, 12:22 PM
The JJ run & pass to the Bont in the prelim was pivotal - something struck me about the M Boyd attempted kick out of mid air that slewed off the side of his boot for JJ to run onto....kismet or something.

Bulldog4life
12-12-2016, 12:37 PM

For sure. What a fighter and a competitor and bloody good player. From where Clay has come from to finally play in a premiership is fantastic. So very pleased for him.

Eastdog
12-12-2016, 12:44 PM
I was thinking a cool concept would be having a day with the premiership cup granted for every Western Bulldogs supporter :) I know I'm only dreaming but certainly there would be attention payed to the supporter(s) that have it :)

BornInDroopSt'54
12-12-2016, 01:08 PM
God I'm glad I've lived to read this thread. I never actually thought I wouldn't, even though it didn't exist for my first 62 years. Now that this thread is here I am going to take ongoing advantage of it.
Thanks to all WOOFERS for the journey through the valley of the shadow death to the promised land of the winning Bulldog 2016 finals series, where we had 4 winning finals of outstanding stature.

The Pie Man
12-12-2016, 02:28 PM
I noticed the Swans really targeted Stringer in the GF. Everytime he went near the ball he was tackled hard, especially from Heeney and a few others. He will need to learn to deal with this sort of treatment, and by doing the little things as you mention, he is still playing an effective team game.

I reckon Jake can look back at the GF and be reasonably happy with his contribution - I could feel he was just starting to come into it late in the third quarter, and he was good in the last.

Rampe was superb on him though.

Twodogs
12-12-2016, 02:50 PM

A couple more preseasons and they will bounce right off him. He's a big man.

I was thinking a cool concept would be having a day with the premiership cup granted for every Western Bulldogs supporter :) I know I'm only dreaming but certainly there would be attention payed to the supporter(s) that have it :)

They should hand them out at Whitten oval. Big dais and 22 get their cup at a time. And then that's your team of bulldog supporters.

LostDoggy
12-12-2016, 03:13 PM
Picken setting the tone with his marking in the WCE game stood out for me, but I suppose that's not just one play in itself. The Bont making Hodge look old and pathetic brought me joy. Obviously the Boyd goal was magnificent after the Morris tackle, which leads me to point to the team goals as being the most special.

Great Thread.
Wow this is enjoyably difficult but this one you mentioned signalled to me an intent and belief I didn't quite realise we had until that very emphatic moment. I got chills, they were multiplying..

1. Bont outmarking Hodge (such an understatement of words to explain this play)
2. Caleb Daniel squeezing between two Hawthorn behemoths to win the ball
3. Biggs first, second, third efforts to never give up for ~100m in the GF
4. Boyd’s long goal in the GF
5. Morris’s tackle on Buddy for Boyds long goal

I still need to watch the first 3 finals to recollect other plays, particularly the west coast game.

bornadog
12-12-2016, 03:23 PM

It may make an appearance at the Social Club Event on Thursday - be there easty and get your Photo taken.

Eastdog
12-12-2016, 04:05 PM
It may make an appearance at the Social Club Event on Thursday - be there easty and get your Photo taken.

I got a photo at the WO family day the day after the GF. So was with it for 15-20 seconds probably :)

Twodogs
12-12-2016, 04:30 PM
Great Thread.
Wow this is enjoyably difficult but this one you mentioned signalled to me an intent and belief I didn't quite realise we had until that very emphatic moment. I got chills, they were multiplying..

1. Bont outmarking Hodge (such an understatement of words to explain this play)
2. Caleb Daniel squeezing between two Hawthorn behemoths to win the ball
3. Biggs first, second, third efforts to never give up for ~100m in the GF
4. Boyd’s long goal in the GF
5. Morris’s tackle on Buddy for Boyds long goal

I still need to watch the first 3 finals to recollect other plays, particularly the west coast game.

I don't think that my dear old dad has ever quite enjoyed a play a much as when Caleb did that. The very next time I saw him the first thing he blurted out was "can you get in the computer and make me a copy of that little bloke of ours running between the Hawthorn players' legs? I don't want anything else on the DVD, just that."

"Yeah dad, good to see you too. Wasn't it a great win?" :D

LostDoggy
12-12-2016, 05:06 PM
I don't think that my dear old dad has ever quite enjoyed a play a much as when Caleb did that. The very next time I saw him the first thing he blurted out was "can you get in the computer and make me a copy of that little bloke of ours running between the Hawthorn players' legs? I don't want anything else on the DVD, just that."

"Yeah dad, good to see you too. Wasn't it a great win?" :D

Your dad sounds awesome and Caleb is a gun. I reckon I let out a girly teehee at the time.

The Pie Man
12-12-2016, 05:14 PM
One moment I like to remember was Roughy's mark in the 3rd quarter of the semi - and that he goaled from it too. Contested overhead marking in our forward 50 has indeed been a rare occurrence over the years.

I've mentioned his mark from the kick in after JJ's disallowed goal in the GF on another thread - the curse believing/hadn't seen us win a flag yet me envisaged Sydney going coast to coast in that moment.

Twodogs
12-12-2016, 05:23 PM
One moment I like to remember was Roughy's mark in the 3rd quarter of the semi - and that he goaled from it too. Contested overhead marking in our forward 50 has indeed been a rare occurrence over the years.

I've mentioned his mark from the kick in after JJ's disallowed goal in the GF on another thread - the curse believing/hadn't seen us win a flag yet me envisaged Sydney going coast to coast in that moment.

That was a completely unique occurrence in Grand Final history that. The umpire about to bounce the ball we've let go with a huge emotional tidal wave a few of us were even trying to get the lid off. But they were showing it a worrying amount of times on the screens and the the ball goes back to Sydney and pathe goal gets overturned.

Thank god for Roughie's long arms.

bornadog
12-12-2016, 05:45 PM
One of my favourite moments was at GWS ground. GWS ran on to the ground at the start of the game, and the entire Bulldog supporters ( 90% of the crowd) booed them. I have never heard a home team booed as loud as that.

It is reported GWS complained to the AFL football operations manager. :D:D:D......................:)

hujsh
12-12-2016, 06:43 PM
One of my favourite moments was at GWS ground. GWS ran on to the ground at the start of the game, and the entire Bulldog supporters ( 90% of the crowd) booed them. I have never heard a home team booed as loud as that.

It is reported GWS complained to the AFL football operations manager. :D:D:D......................:)
Was mentioned to be Leon Cameron elsewhere. No idea if it is actually correct.

KT31
12-12-2016, 07:27 PM

I was that confident I got mine and the Pups taken with the Cup and BBB Hall the day before we played in the Granny.;)

Webby
12-12-2016, 08:10 PM

I reckon we were 60% of the crowd, but our 60% were twice as loud as their 30% (with the other 10% neutrals and corporates.)
GWS had a lot of kids who were accompanied by a lot of semi-engaged, even semi-apologetic parents. Probably wondering "what does my kid see in this sport?" Whilst also no doubt also being slightly intimidated by our numbers and mood.

In short, their numbers were meek. We bossed them. We were rabid and hungry. They were timid. That transferred to our team. I'm also convinced that got us over the line in a tight game. A lot of our supporters invested heavily and gave everything they could on the night. The feeling was amazing.

Then, a record turn out for the GF Parade. Our supporters made up 80% of the record crowd - which was estimated at 150,000. Bevo rightly pointed out that it buoyed the team and made them walk taller. They "felt like Iike the Beatles" and "we rode on your wings, really."

So, it's often cliche to say that "this one's for the fans," however in our case, with the 62 year wait, I truly believe that our supporters contributed massively to the flag.

Hopefully that transcends into bigger numbers next year and our players grow even more on the back of the swelling support. That's the next step. Hopefully we all stay up and stay hungry! Because that feeling at Homebush was simply amazing!

Twodogs
12-12-2016, 08:21 PM
I reckon we were 60% of the crowd, but our 60% were twice as loud as their 30% (with the other 10% neutrals and corporates.)
GWS had a lot of kids who were accompanied by a lot of semi-engaged, even semi-apologetic parents. Probably wondering "what does my kid see in this sport?" Whilst also no doubt also being slightly intimidated by our numbers and mood.

In short, their numbers were meek. We bossed them. We were rabid and hungry. They were timid. That transferred to our team. I'm also convinced that got us over the line in a tight game. A lot of our supporters invested heavily and gave everything they could on the night. The feeling was amazing.

Then, a record turn out for the GF Parade. Our supporters made up 80% of the record crowd - which was estimated at 150,000. Bevo rightly pointed out that it buoyed the team and made them walk taller. They "felt like Iike the Beatles" and "we rode on your wings, really."

So, it's often cliche to say that "this one's for the fans," however in our case, with the 62 year wait, I truly believe that our supporters contributed massively to the flag.

Hopefully that transcends into bigger numbers next year and our players grow even more on the back of the swelling support. That's the next step. Hopefully we all stay up and stay hungry! Because that feeling at Homebush was simply amazing!

The AFL in their unthinking rush to grant GWS every advantage ended up doing us a favour. Everybody felt right at home a a suburban footy ground in the West and reacted accordingly. I understand that GWS are only there while a more purpose built stadium is constructed and from then on they will play at that. I hope they don't knock Spotless down because we should treat the place like a shrine and make a big fuss of it every year we play GWS up there. A parade from there to their new ground or something.

1eyedog
12-12-2016, 08:28 PM

We were the 23rd player no doubt.

comrade
12-12-2016, 11:32 PM

I'll happily admit that on that particular night, I've never been so feral in all my life.

LostDoggy
12-12-2016, 11:35 PM
Stringer centering the ball to Dicko in the Prelim with 28 seconds to go.
The Euphoria of knowing and trying to get my head around the fact that we were finally going to a GF is one of the greatest joyous sensations i have ever felt.

merantau
13-12-2016, 12:30 AM
I watched this game in a bar on Sumbawa island Indonesia. There were only 8 people there but we could feel the atmosphere pulsating out of the stadium. My favourite moment in this clip is when the crowd start cheering BEFORE the ball reaches Dickson. What a win! I reckon any pub that wanted to put on a "re-unite night" and replay the game for supporters who went to Sydney (and others!) would be on to a winner.

Bulldog4life
13-12-2016, 08:35 AM
Just a typical example of a group of people not connected to our Club barracking for us on Grand Final day. I spoke to a mate who watched it from the Dingley pub. The whole pub was barracking for us too he said. He recons it was like a group of die hard supporters.

craigsahibee
13-12-2016, 12:25 PM
So many great pieces of play to choose from throughout the whole finals series.

Rough's clearance against the Hawks where Bont sat Hodge on his arse.

JJ's run and kick to Bont at Spotless.

Picko holding his feet to mark against 2 Eagles defenders.

So many more to choose from but mine is Picko's first goal of the last quarter in the GF. 40 seconds of intense Bulldogs Footy started by a Shane Biggs smother on the mark, which was borne out of pure indecision from Sydney as they had no cheap get out as a result of our manic team defence. Biggs' efforts in that piece of play was phenomenal along with our desire to lock the ball in our forward half. That 40 seconds really did encapsulate what our final month of footy was like. Like a lot of what happened in the Spring of 2016, I could (and have) watch it over and over again.

merantau
13-12-2016, 02:12 PM
So many great pieces of play to choose from throughout the whole finals series.

Rough's clearance against the Hawks where Bont sat Hodge on his arse.

JJ's run and kick to Bont at Spotless.

Picko holding his feet to mark against 2 Eagles defenders.

So many more to choose from but mine is Picko's first goal of the last quarter in the GF. 40 seconds of intense Bulldogs Footy started by a Shane Biggs smother on the mark, which was borne out of pure indecision from Sydney as they had no cheap get out as a result of our manic team defence. Biggs' efforts in that piece of play was phenomenal along with our desire to lock the ball in our forward half. That 40 seconds really did encapsulate what our final month of footy was like. Like a lot of what happened in the Spring of 2016, I could (and have) watch it over and over again.

This piece of footage should be used by our Club for forever more to inspire our troops to give their all. I've wathched it a hundred times and will never tire of re-living the heroics on display.

LostDoggy
13-12-2016, 02:32 PM
One of my favourite small moments was the Dahlhaus smother with 3 or 4 minutes to go before 3QT against GWS. At the time GWS had a period of dominance and had gone 2 goals up. I remember getting that sinking feeling prior to Dahl's effort, but really being bouyed and thinking we are still right in this just through his intensity level. A goal came soon after and the rest is history.

jeemak
13-12-2016, 03:57 PM

I'll happily admit that on that particular night, I've never been so feral in all my life.

Yep, I was feral and just about everyone in the red, white and blue was in a similar frenzied mood. The only time I've seen anything like it was when I watched the hoards of Adelaide supporters stomping their way to the MCG prior to the 97 preliminary final over the southern footbridge. Their eyes were rolling around in their sockets that day, they seemed nuts to me.

bornadog
13-12-2016, 04:02 PM
Yep, I was feral and just about everyone in the red, white and blue was in a similar frenzied mood. The only time I've seen anything like it was when I watched the hoards of Adelaide supporters stomping their way to the MCG prior to the 97 preliminary final over the southern footbridge. Their eyes were rolling around in their sockets that day, they seemed nuts to me.

That's normal :D

1eyedog
13-12-2016, 04:56 PM
One of my favourite small moments was the Dahlhaus smother with 3 or 4 minutes to go before 3QT against GWS. At the time GWS had a period of dominance and had gone 2 goals up. I remember getting that sinking feeling prior to Dahl's effort, but really being bouyed and thinking we are still right in this just through his intensity level. A goal came soon after and the rest is history.

That's a good get and I remember it well. It was one of those moments where Dahl provided a beacon of hope after they got on a roll for 10 minutes and had all of the momentum. It was a moment where we were all able to take a breath and it seemed to set the tone for the remainder of the match. Excellent nomination.

Twodogs
13-12-2016, 05:49 PM

He brings that intensity for the whole game no matter where the ball is he's working on getting it back. We couldn't replace that level of intensity when he was injured and it showed. He's almost our most important player.

Smads57
13-12-2016, 06:56 PM
I was watching the second semi from my 2016 Premiers Victory Pack (had to purchase it!) and was able to relive my favourite moment which was Picken 'roughing' up and pushing away Rioli at the end of the half time melee against Hawthorn. And yes, Picken in still my favourite player.....

PS - have loved this thread, lots of tears from unbridled pride in our football team

always right
13-12-2016, 07:54 PM
Just go to to Youtube and look up anything related to crowd reaction for the prelim and GF. Some wonderful moments.

merantau
13-12-2016, 08:24 PM
Just go to to Youtube and look up anything related to crowd reaction for the prelim and GF. Some wonderful moments.

While you're at it check out this on You Tube:
AFL House Reacts to GWS losing Preliminary Final (Hitler parody) Very funny.

Eastdog
13-12-2016, 08:28 PM
I plan to sit down on Friday night and watch the our 2016 Season highlights on DVD.

merantau
13-12-2016, 08:58 PM
Also on You Tube: Western Bulldogs v GWS Footscray pubs by Paulisdead. Absolutely off-the-wall supporters going crazy at every contest. Mega emotional and enjoyable to watch.

Eastdog
13-12-2016, 09:07 PM
Also on You Tube: Western Bulldogs v GWS Footscray pubs by Paulisdead. Absolutely off-the-wall supporters going crazy at every contest. Mega emotional and enjoyable to watch.

Also a video on YouTube of celebrations in the streets of Footscray after we won the premiership.

craigsahibee
14-12-2016, 11:12 AM

WOW. Just watched it. Teared up even wit the sound turned down because I'm at work

hujsh
14-12-2016, 12:17 PM
While you're at it check out this on You Tube:
AFL House Reacts to GWS losing Preliminary Final (Hitler parody) Very funny.

"If the Bulldogs are your second team, leave the room immediately"
*everyone leaves*

Had to laugh at that even if these videos are pretty old now.

Edit: and the Cameron slam

bulldogsthru&thru
14-12-2016, 01:01 PM

Wow. Just wow. It certainly brings all the emotion back. You just can't replicate that passion and elation from all the heartache. It still amazes me that we actually did it.