PDA

View Full Version : Reece McKenzie Slams Tigers.

KT31
11-12-2016, 11:10 AM
Wasn't sure where to put this and not sure if it had been posted before, but even if a portion of this story is true then the Tigers are a much bigger basket case than I thought they were.
Its damming and pretty scathing, I'm very thankful to our club for seeming to be on the front foot with players mental and other health issues.

http://www.zerohanger.com/just-in-retired-tiger-absolutely-unloads-on-richmond-8438/

Retired Tiger Reece McKenzie slams Richmond in stunning Facebook post
Zero Hanger - November 2, 2016 - 5:09 pm
Recently retired Richmond footballer, Reece McKenzie, has published a scathing Facebook post aimed at the Richmond Football Club.

McKenzie, 20, retired earlier this year due to personal reasons without playing a game in 18 months on the Tigers’ list.

However, six months after calling time on his AFL career, McKenzie has broken his silence, labelling the club “an incompetent, dysfunctional, joke and embarrassment of a club”.

He goes on to criticise football manager Dan Richardson’s role at the club, while also slamming his treatment during his time on the playing list.

Read his full post below:

“When you have intolerable levels of anxiety and depression and have developed an eating disorder causing you to lose all of your friends all because of an incompetent, dysfunctional, joke and embarrassment of a club,” McKenzie wrote.

“I didn’t retire from football because of mental health reasons, I quit Richmond, I f***ing quit because if I had continued to receive the treatment that they were giving me I would have killed myself no doubt.

“No person at any profession deserves the treatment I received, they are a disgrace to professional sporting clubs around the world and it’s no wonder they got someone else in to do Dan Richardson’s job because he knows f*** all about football and f*** all about basic human care.

“When I was 16 I tried to commit suicide, but I failed, I failed because in those moment of agony I told myself that I would one day play AFL and that was the only thing that was going to keep me going and then one day I got there only to have my dream taken away by a joke of a club that doesn’t know how to take care of its players.

“I am now a broken man because of this. Football was my life and now I don’t even know if I will ever be able to return to the football field because of my anxiety.

“They even tried to silence me by signing a deed of release that was going to have a silence clause for life but instead I signed one that was for a ‘reasonable period of time’.

“Well you know what, I find it a pretty damn reasonable period of time…f*** you Richmond, thanks for ruining my life, just hope you don’t f*** someone else’s up too.”

1eyedog
11-12-2016, 11:35 AM
Oh wow that's firing from the hip. Pretty amazing actually I don't know what to say. There are some pretty deep issues there and I hope he is ok.

bulldogtragic
11-12-2016, 12:16 PM
The AFEL should be offering to pay for his treatment needs if Cousins gets treatment covered. We can only hope he gets to a better place, and fast.

Twodogs
11-12-2016, 06:33 PM
The AFEL should be offering to pay for his treatment needs if Cousins gets treatment covered. We can only hope he gets to a better place, and fast.

He sounds angry. At least he's feeling sometging.

GVGjr
11-12-2016, 06:53 PM
I've talked to a number of Richmond members who are very sympathetic towards McKenzie. They feel there is a significant culture issue at the club and it's why they've under performed over the years.

I'd hope Richmond make some efforts to help him through this tough period of adjustment and I hope he would be willing to accept it.

always right
11-12-2016, 09:21 PM
Richmond are an easy target for those outside the club. I'd like to hear the full story before condemning them with the thoughts of someone who clearly has significant issues.

hujsh
12-12-2016, 10:14 AM
Richmond are an easy target for those outside the club. I'd like to hear the full story before condemning them with the thoughts of someone who clearly has significant issues.

IIRC someone came out after McKenzie and had a go at Richmond for similar reasons. Can't remember any more specific details that that though