PDA

View Full Version : Cheltenham-based South African meat producer Protea Foods provides recovery snack to AFL premiers Western Buldogs

Bulldog4life
11-12-2016, 11:51 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/inner-south/cheltenhambased-south-african-meat-producer-protea-foods-provides-key-recovery-snack-to-afl-premiers-western-buldogs/news-story/35d724d42fd4e3283e805cfb54ffaf53

COULD a South African superfood be the secret to the Western Bulldogs’ premiership success?

Biltong is an air dried beef packed with muscle-building protein and has been a staple food for the Bulldogs since they signed with Protea Foods in July.

The Cheltenham-based South African meat producer and supplier has since provided the premiers with their low-salt Protein Punch variety of biltong.

Bulldogs dietitian Claire Saundry said the players primarily ate biltong as a post-training “recovery snack” due to its high protein content.

“The total amount of protein eaten is important, however the body can only use a relatively small amount of protein at any one time,” Ms Saundry said.

“Spreading protein intake over the day and including appropriate recovery options such as Protein Punch after training can achieve a positive protein balance promoting muscle growth.”

Protea Foods administrator Sally Weelson said the family company’s association with the Bulldogs began with coach Luke Beveridge frequenting their store for the dried meat.

“Luke Beveridge likes the stokkies — a type of biltong — then we showed him the Protein Punch, which is another type of biltong which he introduced to the players, and their dietitian loved it,” Mrs Weelson said.

We’ve become very passionate Bulldogs fans and it was really exciting when they won the premiership.

“I’d like to say the players were better for having biltong.”

Protea Foods began more than 50 years ago when Mrs Weelson’s uncle moved to Melbourne from South Africa and opened a deli in Brighton.

He began making biltong and the company grew and moved to Cheltenham, but has always stayed in the family.

Mrs Weelson said Protea Foods also supplied the South African cricket team throughout their recent test series win over Australia.

Rocket Science
11-12-2016, 12:11 PM
We did it with jerky.

1eyedog
11-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Well that company just quadrupled their profits over the next quarter.

KT31
11-12-2016, 12:44 PM
No innuendo intended but I love a good jerky and to think I could have played AFL if I ate the correct one.

Twodogs
11-12-2016, 01:32 PM
Hey Protea Foods, now that you're supporters:

We’ve become very passionate Bulldogs fans and it was really exciting when they won the premiership.

It's 'we', 'we won the premiership.' :)

I'll never get tired of saying that.

Sedat
11-12-2016, 08:32 PM
We did it with jerky.
Jerky is like a pissweak version of biltong - that stuff is very prevalent in the UK where there is a large ex. pat Saffer community and it is absolutely delicious. Ostrich is my personal favourite variety.

We have made so many good calls this season in all aspects of the club, and this is another small example.

jeemak
11-12-2016, 10:57 PM
Biltong's a fantastic snack. Lean and filling, as well as really tasty.

1eyedog
11-12-2016, 11:48 PM
How is it cooked? Is it cooked?

BornInDroopSt'54
12-12-2016, 04:41 PM
Air dried I suspect. The process may take the fat out of it. Do they do hippo? Hippoes have some great qualities that hopefully is transferred in their meat.
Like that guy that got busted for shooting a koala and the judge said it was a disgrace to shoot a national emblem but how did it taste? The poacher said that it was good but not as good as the wombat.

Twodogs
12-12-2016, 07:02 PM
I'm hungry now.

I've had the coat of arms.

KT31
12-12-2016, 07:11 PM
Jerky is like a pissweak version of biltong - that stuff is very prevalent in the UK where there is a large ex. pat Saffer community and it is absolutely delicious. Ostrich is my personal favourite variety.

We have made so many good calls this season in all aspects of the club, and this is another small example.

I nearly got addicted to the Turkey jerky in Alaska, bloody great stuff.
I've been looking into making my own jerky the last couple of months and once the peak season settles I will give it a go.

Throughandthrough
13-12-2016, 09:32 AM
I nearly got addicted to the Turkey jerky in Alaska, bloody great stuff.
I've been looking into making my own jerky the last couple of months and once the peak season settles I will give it a go.

If only you had tried the Turkey Jerky in Albuquerque.

bornadog
13-12-2016, 09:46 AM

Just a different method of preparation:

South African Biltong is typically made from fresh fillets of meat cut into strips following the grain of the muscle. Biltong is similar to Beef jerky however the production processes are different as Jerky is firstly cooked then dried, whereas Biltong is spiced, cured and dried.

KT31
13-12-2016, 10:47 AM
If only you had tried the Turkey Jerky in Albuquerque.

Couldn't find any, I must have taken a wrong turn.

westdog54
14-12-2016, 09:57 AM
Couldn't find any, I must have taken a wrong turn.

I've given up on that joke, as I have to explain it to far too many people these days.

hujsh
14-12-2016, 12:09 PM
I've given up on that joke, as I have to explain it to far too many people these days.

Did they grow up in a bomb shelter?

bornadog
14-12-2016, 05:01 PM

best way to explain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8TUwHTfOOU

hujsh
28-12-2016, 12:53 AM
Bought a chunk of roo Biltong from a place at QV market (http://www.tribaltastes.com.au/products/aussie-game-roo-biltong-1).

If anyone has a good suggestion of how to eat it or what to eat it with let me know.

boydogs
28-12-2016, 12:17 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcJjMnHoIBI

Twodogs
28-12-2016, 01:11 PM
What's Weird Al got to do with it?

hujsh
28-12-2016, 04:36 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcJjMnHoIBI

All good. Got it as a big chunk so wasn't sure if there was anything else that was good to do with it.

Twodogs
28-12-2016, 06:17 PM
All good. Got it as a big chunk so wasn't sure if there was anything else that was good to do with it.

I was assuming it was like salami or ham. A sort of a deli meat. Is that right? I CBF watching the video.

boydogs
28-12-2016, 07:38 PM
What's Weird Al got to do with it?

He asked what to do with it, I creatively said just eat it

Any excuse for a Weird Al reference :D

boydogs
28-12-2016, 07:41 PM

Yeah just cut it up into small bits and eat them. It goes a fair way, being dried out it's very chewy and dense. Had two pieces the size of my little finger on boxing day and had sore teeth and gums afterwards

Perfect post-workout if you're into gym or sports

Twodogs
28-12-2016, 08:57 PM
He asked what to do with it, I creatively said just eat it

Any excuse for a Weird Al reference :D

Completely agree.