PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead to 2017 - where will we finish?

1eyedog
15-12-2016, 09:35 AM
The season's over and while we bask in Premiership glory I wonder if anyone can look ahead to the 2017 season. Crameri and Cloke come in, Bob, Red, Prudden and Wally to follow. So where will we finish next season? Can we finish top 4, do we need to? Who are our main rivals for the flag and do you think anyone who finished outside the 8 this year can challenge for a top 8 spot?

How do we go back to back in 2017?

Lots of questions hopefully lots of answers!

bulldogsthru&thru
15-12-2016, 09:47 AM
I think top 4. I'm not sure about top 2. I feel we may be a team to conserve ourselves over the long season for a finals onslaught.

KT31
15-12-2016, 10:52 AM
Eighth, we need a bigger challenge.:D
Seriously though would love to finish on top for the first time ever and think we will definitely be in the top four.

Mantis
15-12-2016, 10:55 AM
Us - Top 4

Main challenger - GWS

Top 8 chances - Melb & GC

hujsh
15-12-2016, 11:44 AM
Any chance Essendon come good without Hird or the doping scandal hanging over their head? I don't really see then being more than top 8 making up the numbers but I don't know if their players will improve them enough to overtake St.Kilda and Melbourne assuming they improve (I don't know that they'll improve as much as they think though).

Webby
15-12-2016, 12:24 PM
My prediction is that Essendon will be around the mid table mark. Their Claytons punishment has been a blessing for them. A freshen up year for their veterans, an opportunity to blood youth, top up with s no. 1 draft pick, an energised supporter base entering 2017 etc.

However, they've re-signed the vast majority of their list at a premium. They've also potentially missed a trick by losing a couple on free agency and getting compo picks in a strong draft. That's something that I think would've potentially charged and catapulted them over the next 5-6 years.

As things have panned out, I think they'll be competitive, but they won't be contenders. They remain in mid table no man's land... Which I'm quietly happy about!

merantau
15-12-2016, 01:38 PM
Top four? Is the Pope from Argentina? 16 - 17 wins percentage 125% . I expect GWS, Sydney, the Cokers, Adelaide, Hawthorn, St. Kilda and Geelong to make up the eight.

The Pie Man
15-12-2016, 03:12 PM
Can't see a huge change to the 8 next season.
One of Melbourne & St Kilda should push for a top 8 spot - with Essendon a wildcard. Collingwood have recruited experience so may see an early season rise (how good will round 1 be?)
North are the obvious out.
I'm confident of finishing top 4, but the pessimist in me thinks we could be 0-3 to start next season.

Mantis
15-12-2016, 03:27 PM
Can't see a huge change to the 8 next season.
One of Melbourne & St Kilda should push for a top 8 spot - with Essendon a wildcard. Collingwood have recruited experience so may see an early season rise (how good will round 1 be?)
North are the obvious out.
I'm confident of finishing top 4, but the pessimist in me thinks we could be 0-3 to start next season.

The pessimist in me died at about 5.15pm on 1/10/16!

BornInDroopSt'54
15-12-2016, 03:41 PM
Is question where we'll finish after h&w or after finals? Methinks we will make the grand final next year. Proven game plan and personnel to perform in finals. Do it for Bob, for personal pride and because we can.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-12-2016, 03:46 PM
The pessimist in me died at about 5.15pm on 1/10/16!

It'll be a strange, but wonderful feeling once the season kicks off

Greystache
15-12-2016, 04:31 PM
I'd like to see us improve on last season, and with a young squad I think we can.

So I think we'll finish one place above first!

Bulldog Joe
15-12-2016, 06:35 PM
I'd like to see us improve on last season, and with a young squad I think we can.

So I think we'll finish one place above first!

That sounds like a good spot.

In all seriousness, I believe we will improve.

We add to the GF side Adams, Murphy, Crameri and Cloke. Then we have Mitch Wallis returning at some point and Suckling will be around.

Issue will be who misses games, because I think Bailey Williams can be a star.

Considering the injury load we coped with, we surely can't have that to hold us back in 2017.

Top 4 and the flag.

ReLoad
15-12-2016, 08:04 PM
We will finish top 4. - we will be the hunted, teams will be going extra hard at us and put extra work into us, no doubt.
The squad inclusions are great, although our back line is still susceptible.

Then come finals the pure belief we have, the juggernaut will continue rolling on. 3 finals, all at the MCG all wins.

Now that we've won that one I don't want everyone to love us, I want them to despise and hate us because we've become too bloody good.

1eyedog
15-12-2016, 10:23 PM
Bulldog Gods next wish is to beat Geelong in a final.

LostDoggy
16-12-2016, 08:21 AM
I really think we'll finish top 2 this year. To win our first ever minor premiership would be an achievable and very valid goal. Bevo is a coach who builds dynasties and knows how to win flags back to back (to back).

My top 4 for this year in order would be us and GWS 1 and 2 (could go either way), Adelaide and Sydney.

Bottom half of the 8 looks wide open, aside from last year's finalists I can see the likes of StKilda, Melbourne, Port, Collingwood, GCS and Freo all potentially being around the mark if things go their way.

merantau
20-12-2016, 09:23 PM
Beating up Geelong next season is No 1 on my wish list. I would love it to happen in the Grand Final but I don't think Geelong are going to make it that far.

Flamethrower
20-12-2016, 09:47 PM
25-0 in 2017!!!

I believe that we will be so dominant over the next 5 years that we will be hated by the rest of the comp, especially by the GWS fan for beating them in the prelim every year.

Danny the snakeman
20-12-2016, 10:03 PM
A part of me says we won the GF don't care if we never win another game, the bulldog in me says i want more. Back to back anything less would be an under achievement.

bornadog
20-12-2016, 11:33 PM
A part of me says we won the GF don't care if we never win another game, the bulldog in me says i want more. Back to back anything less would be an under achievement.

We have a lot of catching up to do with premierships.

LostDoggy
21-12-2016, 12:45 AM
Its time to enjoy being a powerhouse of the competition, feared every week, for years to come. And if things go our way....