PDA

View Full Version : How the times have changed? Or have they?

bulldogtragic
17-12-2016, 08:46 PM
It's interesting to think about how we managed to trade in young KPF Tom Boyd, a huge KPF forward, and how we've turned him into a ruck/forward. Then we trade in KPF Travis Cloke and his 400+ goals and looking to turn him into something very different.

So it begs the question... Have the times changed with regards to these (& similar types of) players and we have changed with the times? Or have we changed the game and the times/rest will catch up with us?

dukedog
19-12-2016, 12:09 PM
I think it may be a case of us being pushed into a corner. The gryphon situation got our backs up and we lashed out and chased boyd. The cloke situation, probably had more to do with cloke wanting a change of scenery and saying that he wanted to join us. So for the price it seemed like a no brainer. Well thats how it seems to me anyways.

bulldogtragic
19-12-2016, 12:22 PM
I think it may be a case of us being pushed into a corner. The gryphon situation got our backs up and we lashed out and chased boyd. The cloke situation, probably had more to do with cloke wanting a change of scenery and saying that he wanted to join us. So for the price it seemed like a no brainer. Well thats how it seems to me anyways.

True. I'm just pondering if other clubs would've done the same. Are we now the trend setters, who think outside the square when it comes to players and roles? When typing up the OP it was going to be how the times have changed, but thinking more about it, it seems like Bevo isn't moving or changing with the times. He's changing the way of looking at players and their roles, almost like he's moving the times and others need to change with it.

We know what he's done with Wood, Wallis, Dahl, Bob, Boyd, Boyd, Roughy, Picken & now Cloke. He's not thinking outside the box, he's changing the definition of what a box is with scant disregard for the box believing people.

dukedog
19-12-2016, 12:34 PM
I definately think Bevo uses the players strengths. I always thought that Macca had a game plan in mind and it didn't match the way our players played the game. For example explosive players like stringer being too defensively minded. If guys play on instinct. Their thought process is quicker. They arn't trying to think about playing a different way. It just happens.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-12-2016, 12:46 PM
We are the premiers. Therefore we are the trend setters :-)

stefoid
19-12-2016, 04:42 PM
Begs the question of where we are going to play Peter Wright next year, doesnt it?

chef
19-12-2016, 05:16 PM
Begs the question of where we are going to play Peter Wright next year, doesnt it?

That interest is probably dead right now.