PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Matthews under fire for suggesting Mens Sports shouldn't fund Womens Sports

LostDoggy
19-12-2016, 11:52 PM
FOOTBALL legend Leigh Matthews has been slammed for questioning whether revenue generated from men’s sport should be used to fund women’s competition.

Matthews landed himself in a sexism row after suggesting on twitter that women’s sport needed to pay its own way rather than rely on financial support from the men.

Leigh Matthews

Follow

@LeighRMatthews

Using income from mens sport to fund womens sport is opening up a real can of worms for administrators,should you spend what you don't earn? 1:07 PM - 19 Dec 2016

Female footballers fought for an $8500 base salary for the inaugural AFLW season after rejecting the original offer of $5000.

The AFL salary cap in 2016 was $10.37 million — plus marketing allowances of $1.02 million — with the average wage $300,000.

Marquee players will earn up to $27,000 — including a $10,000 ambassadorial contract.

WBBL players earn between $7000 and $15,000.

Matthews later clarified his stance.

Leigh Matthews @LeighRMatthews

To clarify , my tweet question was about relative payments to elite level team sport players eg men's and women's national comps 5:23 PM - 19 Dec 2016

But his comments came under fire, with even pointing out his opinion goes against the AFL’s equalisation measures.

*redacted @mattpearce01

@LeighRMatthews so using that model you wouldn't fund kids sport either? 1:11 PM - 19 Dec 2016

Andrew Collins @AndyCollinsSP

@LeighRMatthews to grow a business, you have to spend what you don't (yet) earn. #AFL are doing the right thing by ALL footballers here 5:43 PM - 19 Dec 2016

Pete Lynch @PeteLynch

@LeighRMatthews Women's sport receives no where near the level of federal and state gov funding as men's sport. Why not? #discrimination 3:06 PM - 19 Dec 2016

Arj Eye @ArjGiese

@LeighRMatthews So what? We get rid of funding for kids sports? What about footy clubs who fail to turn a profit? #Dinosaur 2:18 PM - 19 Dec 2016

Gavin McKenzie @gav_mck

@LeighRMatthews powerful vic afl clubs revenue been used by afl to fund interstate club expansion Leigh, by commission agreement 1:12 PM - 19 Dec 2016

Buggy @Jitterry

@LeighRMatthews woman haven't had the benefit of a competition set up for 100+ years so maybe prop them up some! 3:03 PM - 19 Dec 2016

Ian Foster @Fossforous

@LeighRMatthews funny, many AFL clubs have been running losses for years, despite taxpayer handouts, spending more than they earn 7:20 PM - 19 Dec 2016

Women athletes told the Herald Sun they had to juggle sport and work because they were underpaid.

westdog54
19-12-2016, 11:54 PM
Arj Giese is an old mate of mine. Has been photographing VFL and women's footy for years.

Leigh Matthews confirming his level of flogness with this one

Twodogs
19-12-2016, 11:56 PM
Knobhead. Always has been. The squeaky voiced little thug.

And you know what? Everytime I thought Leigh Matthews in the past 30 years the first thing that came to mind was the destruction job he did on us in 1985 to blast us out of a Grand Final berth. But since we done gone and won the premiership ("won the premiership" is such a versatile great phrase-that's my Country and Western version) like we did the first thing I think of when I hear his name is dear old lethal heroically assaulting a poor unsuspecting Neville Bruns at Princes Park years ago. Another side benefit of winning a premiership.

LostDoggy
20-12-2016, 12:02 AM
Make sure you turn the light off and shut the door behind you Lethal!!!
JERK!!!! :mad:

Sedat
20-12-2016, 02:51 AM
Master of the shit calls this year - first Tom Boyd now this. I never tire of watching him squirm at the GF presentation ceremony.

He also well and truly farked up Brisbane in the last 10 years as well with his inept decision making.

jeemak
20-12-2016, 02:58 AM
Typical little shit who has used his obvious football ability to gain a profile that isn't deserved.

Let's put it plainly, he is the quintessential person who is nothing without football. *!*!*!*!s his players partners, belts people when they're not looking, belittles young up and comers when they get a modern contract.......revered for some reason by Ch7.

He is actually the perfect example of why the AFL needs to progress but can't.

bulldogtragic
20-12-2016, 09:48 AM
Master of the shit calls this year - first Tom Boyd now this. I never tire of watching him squirm at the GF presentation ceremony.

He also well and truly farked up Brisbane in the last 10 years as well with his inept decision making.

And at every point in the Ch7 call says dogs can't win, Sydney coming back and are too strong, every tip at every break is Sydney. He makes Carey, Hodge & Ling sound look footy geniuses by talking about the dogs, our pressure and how we were playing.

Frankly, Rodney Rude had a song 'Why won't Rolf Harris just f**k off and die'. Maybe we can convince him to re do the song with Matthews as the central figure.

Topdog
20-12-2016, 10:12 AM
Was this an article or something? It's layout is horrible.

Leigh is just an idiot. The whole spend what you earn philosiphy is fine if you want to run with it but it needs to be done across the board so really Leigh wants no funding given to anyone including mens sport.

Sedat
20-12-2016, 10:38 PM
Frankly, Rodney Rude had a song 'Why won't Rolf Harris just f**k off and die'.
A man clearly ahead of his time ;)

bulldogtragic
20-12-2016, 10:41 PM

Yep! Never a truer word spoken.

"... Why won't Rolf Harris just *!*!*!*! off and die? If you know then tell me 'cause I don't know why. Your wobble board and Jake the Peg was a clever stunt, but we've just had enough of you, you four eyed little ____ ...."

Remi Moses
21-12-2016, 04:05 PM

Not as good as Santa where's me f****** bike !

SonofScray
24-12-2016, 11:51 PM
In the spirit of Peace on Earth for Christmas I would like to bring this closer to fruition by asking Santa to stuff Lethal in his Sack and throw him off a roof.