B: Dale Morris, Marcus Adams, Matthew Boyd
HB: Robert Murphy, Easton Wood, Jason Johannisen
C: Lachie Hunter, Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae
HF: Caleb Daniel, Travis Cloke, Stewart Crameri
F: Jake Stringer, Tom Boyd, Tory Dickson
Foll: Jordan Roughead, Tom Liberatore, Luke Dahlhaus
I/C: Liam Picken, Clay Smith, Shane Biggs, Bailey Williams

Depth
Midfield: Tom Campbell, Bailey Dale, Tim English, Declan Hamilton, Lin Jong, Matthew Suckling, Mitch Wallis
Forwards: Josh Dunkley, Fergus Greene, Mitch Honeychurch, Patrick Lipinski, Toby McLean, Nathan Mullenger-McHugh, Jack Redpath, Tristan Tweedie, Lewis Young
Defenders: Kieren Collins, Zaine Cordy, Bradley Lynch, Josh Prudden, Fletcher Roberts, Roarke Smith, Lukas Webb

No other defensive unit in the competition boasts the versatility, dash, depth and extraordinary resilience of the one that provided the backbone to last year's premiership team. And the Bulldogs backline will be further strengthened by the return of skipper Bob Murphy and powerful full-back Marcus 'The Specimen' Adams, the latter being a revelation before being sidelined in his debut season. Both Dale Morris and Easton Wood can play tall or small, while the entire back six generates irrepressible run and flair. Their adaptability, selflessness and cohesion – instilled by the visionary Luke Beveridge and his coaching panel – was shown repeatedly last year when they overcame a series of crippling injuries to backmen, and the belief they gained from their stratospheric journey should sustain them for some time.

Interesting best 22 they have picked. They have left out 5 premiership players (including Suckling). Into the team come Murphy, Cloke, Crameri and Adams and out go Dunkley, McLean, Cordy and Roberts.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-12-31/who-has-the-best-defence

Before I Die
31-12-2016, 02:45 PM
According to AFL.com our defense is the second best in the league:

WESTERN BULLDOGS

B: Dale Morris, Marcus Adams, Matthew Boyd
HB: Robert Murphy, Easton Wood, Jason Johannisen
C: Lachie Hunter, Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Marcie
HF: Caleb Daniel, Travis Cloke, Stewart Crameri
F: Jake Stringer, Tom Boyd, Tory Dickson
Foll: Jordan Roughead, Tom Liberatore, Luke Dahlhaus
I/C: Liam Picken, Clay Smith, Shane Biggs, Bailey Williams

Depth
Midfield: Tom Campbell, Bailey Dale, Tim English, Declan Hamilton, Lin Jong, Matthew Suckling, Mitch Wallis
Forwards: Josh Dunkley, Fergus Greene, Mitch Honeychurch, Patrick Lipinski, Toby McLean, Nathan Mullenger-McHugh, Jack Redpath, Tristan Tweedie, Lewis Young
Defenders: Kieren Collins, Zaine Cordy, Bradley Lynch, Josh Prudden, Fletcher Roberts, Roarke Smith, Lukas Webb

No other defensive unit in the competition boasts the versatility, dash, depth and extraordinary resilience of the one that provided the backbone to last year's premiership team. And the Bulldogs backline will be further strengthened by the return of skipper Bob Murphy and powerful full-back Marcus 'The Specimen' Adams, the latter being a revelation before being sidelined in his debut season. Both Dale Morris and Easton Wood can play tall or small, while the entire back six generates irrepressible run and flair. Their adaptability, selflessness and cohesion – instilled by the visionary Luke Beveridge and his coaching panel – was shown repeatedly last year when they overcame a series of crippling injuries to backmen, and the belief they gained from their stratospheric journey should sustain them for some time.

Interesting best 22 they have picked. They have left out 5 premiership players (including Suckling). Into the team come Murphy, Cloke, Crameri and Adams and out go Dunkley, McLean, Cordy and Roberts.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-12-31/who-has-the-best-defence

Plus they couldn't find a spot for Mitch Wallis who was judged "Elite" by Champion Data.

Twodogs
31-12-2016, 03:18 PM
Plus they couldn't find a spot for Mitch Wallis who was judged "Elite" by Champion Data.

I guess because he's not due back until later in the season he couldn't be considered. He is obviously best 22 on paper and hopefully on field later in the season.

Clay Smith was a really handy player to inject into the side in the middle of the season this year. Almost ideal with his attack on the ball. Hopefully Mitch can have a similiar effect next season.

GVGjr
31-12-2016, 05:07 PM

He's listed in the midfield group and for obvious reasons just not in the likely to be in the starting line-up at the beginning of the season.

We have a good defensive line-up but we could be exposed in one on one contests. The zone defense needs to stand up again in 2017.

Roberts and Cordy are critical players while Collins probably needs another season to mature. A lot depends on the ability of Adams to stay healthy.

I suspect at least one of our 10 tall forwards we drafted this year :) will be used as a key defender at Footscray and be given time to develop into the role. I'm guessing Young might get a go at it.

hujsh
31-12-2016, 06:57 PM
Second for the Midfield as well

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-31/who-has-the-best-mids

GVGjr
01-01-2017, 12:44 PM
Roberts had a break out season in 2016 so surely he should be in the best 22 for 2017? Adams replaces Hamling but I think Roberts has to be in our best line-up until someone else performs better. I know Roberts has some faults but he should gain a lot of confidence from last year and if he can improve just a bit with his mobility and strength he should be a very handy player for us.

Twodogs
01-01-2017, 01:25 PM
I was surprised Roberts didn't make the 22 as well. I see Roberts as our full back now and it's up to Adams to win the spot back.

bornadog
01-01-2017, 01:27 PM
Roberts had a break out season in 2016 so surely he should be in the best 22 for 2017? Adams replaces Hamling but I think Roberts has to be in our best line-up until someone else performs better. I know Roberts has some faults but he should gain a lot of confidence from last year and if he can improve just a bit with his mobility and strength he should be a very handy player for us.

Hopefully he can work on his core strength so he can compete one on one and stay on his feet.

Dry Rot
02-01-2017, 12:45 AM
IIRC Hamling, Roberts and Morris were selected for most of our finals in 2016, i.e. we needed 2 talls + Morris against the very best teams, especially the Giants.

I can't see this changing this season, so Adams in for Hamling for me and Roberts stays. Makes it interesting trying to fit Wood, Murphy, Boyd, JJ, Biggs and possibly Suckling into the last 3 spots.

LostDoggy
02-01-2017, 08:23 AM
I agree that Roberts should be best 18 given his efforts through the finals last year and our lack of similar options at this time.

I reckon Adams will take Hamling's role as the traditional Full Back, taking primary responsibility for the tall forward playing closest to goal who is the strongest contested mark (in traditional terms, the full forward), whereas Roberts is better suited for primary responsibility on the 2nd tall forward who pushes harder up the ground and covers more ground (traditionally the CHF).

I reckon our starting back 6 if picked tomorrow would be:

Morris, Adams, Wood
JJ, Roberts, M.Boyd/Murphy

GVGjr
02-01-2017, 08:52 AM
Good call PP. I wonder if there might be some merit with play Adams as the CHB where his long kicking might become a very attacking option for us?

hujsh
02-01-2017, 09:15 AM
IIRC Hamling, Roberts and Morris were selected for most of our finals in 2016, i.e. we needed 2 talls + Morris against the very best teams, especially the Giants.

I can't see this changing this season, so Adams in for Hamling for me and Roberts stays. Makes it interesting trying to fit Wood, Murphy, Boyd, JJ, Biggs and possibly Suckling into the last 3 spots.
Nah Roberts didn't player against the Eagles or Hawks so it was 50/50.

bornadog
02-01-2017, 10:30 AM
Good call PP. I wonder if there might be some merit with play Adams as the CHB where his long kicking might become a very attacking option for us?

The one flaw with Adams is he doesn't have the leap like Hamling did so he can play on the taller players. At 193cm, he gives away 7 cm to the big forwards at GC and GWS for example.

1eyedog
02-01-2017, 10:46 AM
The one flaw with Adams is he doesn't have the leap like Hamling did so he can play on the taller players. At 193cm, he gives away 7 cm to the big forwards at GC and GWS for example.

And for that reason I believe Roberts will be a week by week proposition. He deserves his spot no doubt but it's no coincidence that both he and Hamling were average players at best before Bevo came on board and developed broad-scale defensive structures. For me Adams is simply a better player than Roberts and needs to start.

As we have discussed players are used in a variety of roles and if Cloke can justify a forward role then I'd like to see a back six comprising Roberts / Adams and Cordy. Cordy is aggressive, reads the play well and gets to the right spots. It remains to be seen whether he can develop the defensive side of his game this year. He played on and lost to Grundy in the air in the GF so needs to work on his strength and ability to spoil, but he's got so many other positive attributes that I just can't leave him out of the starting back six.

B: JJ / Adams or Roberts / Wood
HB: Murphy / Cordy / Morris.

Our depth list makes a fair team as well.

LostDoggy
02-01-2017, 11:02 AM
And for that reason I believe Roberts will be a week by week proposition. He deserves his spot no doubt but it's no coincidence that both he and Hamling were average players at best before Bevo came on board and developed broad-scale defensive structures. For me Adams is simply a better player than Roberts and needs to start.

As we have discussed players are used in a variety of roles and if Cloke can justify a forward role then I'd like to see a back six comprising Roberts / Adams and Cordy. Cordy is aggressive, reads the play well and gets to the right spots. It remains to be seen whether he can develop the defensive side of his game this year. He played on and lost to Grundy in the air in the GF so needs to work on his strength and ability to spoil, but he's got so many other positive attributes that I just can't leave him out of the starting back six.

B: JJ / Adams or Roberts / Wood
HB: Murphy / Cordy / Morris.

Our depth list makes a fair team as well.

Forgot about Cordy. No doubt he is the wildcard. His aggression and mobility could be great assets down back. He must be right in contention for a key role.

bulldogtragic
02-01-2017, 11:07 AM

Fair point. He looked like a junior when he played on Buddy at the SCG. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable if he was our only KPD.

1eyedog
02-01-2017, 12:30 PM
Forgot about Cordy. No doubt he is the wildcard. His aggression and mobility could be great assets down back. He must be right in contention for a key role.

Not only that, but in the unlikely event that Stringer, Crameri, Cloke, Dickson or Boyd have an off day (yeah right) he can play forward and kick goals.

I personally reckon we could turn Cloke into an excellent CHB. Big and strong, quick enough, massive tank, magnificent contested mark and doesn't have to line up the big sticks.He could easily do a Chris Grant and play out his career there.

Twodogs
02-01-2017, 12:52 PM
Wouldn't surprise* me at all to see Cloke given extended periods in defence this year. We are going to have times (hopefully lots of times) when more than six players we would consider to be forwards demand selection on form and we are going to have to find other spots on the ground for them.

*It will probably come as a bit of a shock to him though.

bulldogtragic
02-01-2017, 01:40 PM
Wouldn't surprise* me at all to see Cloke given extended periods in defence this year. We are going to have times (hopefully lots of times) when more than six players we would consider to be forwards demand selection on form and we are going to have to find other spots on the ground for them.

*It will probably come as a bit of a shock to him though.

In his video interview on the club website Trav said that if Bevo wanted him to play full back, then that's what'd do and he'd give it 100%.

Eastdog
02-01-2017, 04:22 PM
In his video interview on the club website Trav said that if Bevo wanted him to play full back, then that's what'd do and he'd give it 100%.

Such a great attitude from Travis. He could be a real asset to our club.

1eyedog
02-01-2017, 05:04 PM

I reckon it's already been part of the discussion.

bulldogtragic
02-01-2017, 05:12 PM
I reckon it's already been part of the discussion.

Height, weight, brute strength, burst speed, endurance, match fitness, experience, work ethic, dedication, application and with a point to prove. I think Trav could play a few roles depending on what Bevo wants from game to game.

It'd be interesting to see him forward, but even more so like the roaming player Richo was in last couple of seasons. He could even pinch hit as the second ruck, or as the discussion is, interesting to see what he could do on the bigger, slower big forwards like Tom Hawkins. I'd love to know the various plans Bevo has to make this recruitment another master stroke of genius. And for a pick we didn't use, and minimum wage, it's already an excellent move by the club.