PDA

View Full Version : All our ducks lined up

Throughandthrough
04-01-2017, 11:14 AM
a, Yes we were awesome and deserved the gold.

But by geez we were lucky, there's literally dozens of things that lined up that help us win the flag in 2016.

I think it's time to talk about them! (This is a safe space, ok??)

NB This thread is meant to be light hearted

I'll start with a few, but there's heaps more. Each of these on their own may have made the difference.

1> WCE beating the Crows in Adelaide in the last round. Changed our position on the ladder (at the time it looked like a very bad thing)
2> That noddy from the Hawks missing the easy kick to win the final v Geelong. If Hawthorn had won we would have had a much harder last few weeks
3>Whatever transpired so that Hamling came from the VFL and played finals.
4>................

Ozza
04-01-2017, 11:21 AM
Stevie J gets suspended.
Allir Allir injured
McVeigh and Mills under injury clouds

LostDoggy
04-01-2017, 11:22 AM
JJ doing a 10 week hammy allowing him to be well rested come finals time and eventually win the Norm Smith!

Throughandthrough
04-01-2017, 11:25 AM
The Swans getting crucified by the umps in the GF

Topdog
04-01-2017, 11:27 AM
Stevie J gets suspended.
Allir Allir injured
McVeigh and Mills under injury clouds

Stevie J for me was the big one. We still had more injuries than Sydney for the GF so dont buy that excuse from them.

If the Hawks won in the first week only change would be we played Geelong in the Semi?

Bulldog Joe
04-01-2017, 11:31 AM
a, Yes we were awesome and deserved the gold.

But by geez we were lucky, there's literally dozens of things that lined up that help us win the flag in 2016.

I think it's time to talk about them! (This is a safe space, ok??)

NB This thread is meant to be light hearted

I'll start with a few, but there's heaps more. Each of these on their own may have made the difference.

1> WCE beating the Crows in Adelaide in the last round. Changed our position on the ladder (at the time it looked like a very bad thing)
2> That noddy from the Hawks missing the easy kick to win the final v Geelong. If Hawthorn had won we would have had a much harder last few weeks
3>Whatever transpired so that Hamling came from the VFL and played finals.
4>................

That miss cost us the opportunity to smash Geelong, and I have no doubt that we would have done so.

Topdog
04-01-2017, 11:40 AM
The bye, we got 4 players back from injury

bulldogsthru&thru
04-01-2017, 11:50 AM
Stevie J being suspended was a nice bit of luck for sure. As was having the bye before the finals so we could get some players back - although that was more a reversal of horrible bad luck all year!

But the results of other teams and it's effect on our finals draw? Not sure about that. Nobody gave us a chance to beat West Coast or Hawthorn, so if things fell the other way, we probably would have beaten Geelong and/or Adelaide. The way we played, and the way both Geelong and Adelaide capitulated against Sydney is enough for me. I mean they both got smashed by the swans who we ultimately defeated to win our 2nd flag :-)

And the rub of the green? Firstly, good teams create their own 'luck' in this regard and secondly, we were bloody well overdue for some after '97 and '09!

Mofra
04-01-2017, 11:54 AM
We were underdogs in every game so it's easy to overstate the luck factor.

There was one thing I was truly thankful for - GWS went the knuckle for the first quarter of the prelim, completely forgot the ball and focused on the man. A few of our boys wore a few hits (Roberts especially) but kept their head.

KT31
04-01-2017, 12:10 PM
Stevie J being suspended was a nice bit of luck for sure. As was having the bye before the finals so we could get some players back - although that was more a reversal of horrible bad luck all year!

Not just this season but every season since our last appearance.
As Wil Anderson said,"16, reverse the course of 61".

ratsmac
04-01-2017, 12:34 PM
Nic Nat doing a knee just before finals.

comrade
04-01-2017, 12:45 PM
Thursday final gave us a longer break in the 2nd week.
Smith missing after the siren meant we avoided our biggest bogey team.
Adelaide inexplicably losing in the final H&A game shuffled the ladder to our advantage.
Buddy popping his ankle early in the 1st qtr.
Zaine giving Ward the knee of death.

ledge
04-01-2017, 12:46 PM
Sacking and signing Bevo the year before was the start of the ducks lining up.
Griffen etc walking out.
Oh and by the way since we started our March last year Sydney have been our bunnies what better team to play in a gf than your bunny. So not only did the ducks line up but the bunny turned up grand final day.

bornadog
04-01-2017, 03:04 PM
The bye, we got 4 players back from injury

This was the biggest advantage - no doubt. , closely followed by playing the first final a day earlier on Thursday and giving us one more days rest.

LostDoggy
04-01-2017, 03:12 PM
We definitely had some luck but I don't think our ducks were in a line at all, this was a triumph through adversity down a very difficult path.

Nothing won this premiership but the fortitude of the players and coach.

You can say other results and ladder positions but had we had a choice, no one would have selected the finals run we had.

We had a few players back but we were short a few too. The bye gained us about 4 days really on the first game and a couple on the second. Many players were played under done and/or at risk of re-injury.

We had a great run with umpires but we were first to the ball. The prelim and the granny we sure had the crowd loudly on our side which always helps.

We had to play at three grounds that we had very little good experience on.

I cant find two ducks to line up..

Bulldog Joe
04-01-2017, 03:13 PM
This was the biggest advantage - no doubt. , closely followed by playing the first final a day earlier on Thursday and giving us one more days rest.

One of those sliding door moments.

Scheduling for Thursday in the West was the worst possible position when we needed as much time as possible to get the players on the park, but then that earlier final parlayed into successive 8 day breaks to have us properly primed for GWS.

The momentum from that made us unstoppable.

Eastdog
04-01-2017, 03:42 PM
The GWS game was a mighty hard game.

LostDoggy
04-01-2017, 04:48 PM
Bevo out coaching his former fellow Hawthorn assistant and senior coaches until the GF.
By then Horse knew him and his Swannies were STUFFED!!! ;)

Drunken Bum
04-01-2017, 04:57 PM
There was one thing I was truly thankful for - GWS went the knuckle for the first quarter of the prelim, completely forgot the ball and focused on the man. A few of our boys wore a few hits (Roberts especially) but kept their head.

Just out of curiosity as i don't remember but what was the tribunal result from the Roberts hit?
I was filthy on that, was actually really surprised the crowd didn't pick up on it, maybe because it was so long after he disposed of the ball but i had a perfect view of it and went off tap hurling abuse at the filthy sniper only for people around me to ask what happened, i thought i imagined it for a second.

bornadog
04-01-2017, 06:02 PM
Just out of curiosity as i don't remember but what was the tribunal result from the Roberts hit?
I was filthy on that, was actually really surprised the crowd didn't pick up on it, maybe because it was so long after he disposed of the ball but i had a perfect view of it and went off tap hurling abuse at the filthy sniper only for people around me to ask what happened, i thought i imagined it for a second.

Pretty sure he was only fined. Another AFEL tribunal joke.

Dry Rot
04-01-2017, 06:07 PM

Who hit Roberts?

bornadog
04-01-2017, 06:13 PM
Who hit Roberts?

Palmer-ended up with blood nose

Dry Rot
04-01-2017, 06:34 PM
Palmer-ended up with blood nose

Thanks.

GWS are a dirty mouthy lot.

I hate them.

Drunken Bum
04-01-2017, 07:22 PM

That's staggering, the crowd didn't even react it was that late after he disposed of the ball, he wasn't even close to getting him in the action of kicking. You could even argue that it's behind the play even, you're wide open at that moment and well beyond the point of expecting any contact, not to mention he got him high as well how the hell is that not at least a week or 2?
No need to answer that we all know the reason.

merantau
05-01-2017, 09:59 PM
The bye helped. The Thursday final helped. Apart from that we were, if I may channel the late Merv Williams, "like the boy with the barrow".

Mofra
06-01-2017, 11:50 AM
Bevo out coaching his former fellow Hawthorn assistant and senior coaches until the GF.
By then Horse knew him and his Swannies were STUFFED!!! ;)
Luke Beveridge has never lost to John Longmire, as a player across three teams or as a senior coach.
It's an outstanding quirk.

westdog54
06-01-2017, 01:59 PM

Also no action taken at all for the Jumper Punch on Picken.

Twodogs
06-01-2017, 03:02 PM
Luke Beveridge has never lost to John Longmire, as a player across three teams or as a senior coach.
It's an outstanding quirk.

That's amazing. Do you know what year Bevo first make Longmire his bitch? 1987, 1988?

merantau
06-01-2017, 03:36 PM
Also no action taken at all for the Jumper Punch on Picken.

I was wondering about that. Thanks for clearing it up. Good to know jumper punches to the jaw have the AEFL stamp of aproval.

bornadog
06-01-2017, 03:48 PM
I was wondering about that. Thanks for clearing it up. Good to know jumper punches to the jaw have the AEFL stamp of aproval.

Apparently they have finally woken up and players will be reported.

Smads57
06-01-2017, 04:13 PM
Thought is was mighty handy having Callan Ward go off the ground in second qtr vs GWS. Other than that, I think we just played with too much heart for the other finalists (including Geelong)

Throughandthrough
06-01-2017, 05:08 PM
In regards to the Prelim

THE AFL wishes to advise the Match Review Panel has reviewed the matches played in week three of the 2016 Toyota AFL Finals Series. The following charges were laid:

Charges Laid:
Rhys Palmer, GWS Giants, has been charged with engaging in rough conduct against Fletcher Roberts, Western Bulldogs, during the first quarter of the First Preliminary Final between the GWS Giants and the Western Bulldogs, played at Spotless Stadium on Saturday September 24, 2016.

In summary, he can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Western Bulldogs Football Club, the incident was assessed as careless conduct with low impact to the head. The incident was classified as a $1500 sanction. The player has no applicable record which impacts the penalty. An early plea enables the player to accept a $1000 sanction.

Lachie Whitfield, GWS Giants, has been charged with making forceful contact from front-on against Josh Dunkley, Western Bulldogs, during the first quarter of the First Preliminary Final between the GWS Giants and the Western Bulldogs, played at Spotless Stadium on Saturday September 24, 2016.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Western Bulldogs Football Club, the incident was assessed as careless conduct with low impact to the head. The incident was classified as a $1500 sanction. The player has no applicable record which impacts the penalty. An early plea enables the player to accept a $1000 sanction.

Lachie Whitfield, GWS Giants, has been charged with attempting to strike Jackson Macrae, Western Bulldogs, during the third quarter of the First Preliminary Final between the GWS Giants and the Western Bulldogs, played at Spotless Stadium on Saturday September 24, 2016.

Attempting to strike carries a fixed sanction of a $1500 penalty. The player has no applicable record which impacts the penalty. An early plea enables the player to accept a $1000 sanction.

Other incidents assessed
Contact between the Western Bulldogs’ Easton Wood and the GWS Giants’ Lachie Whitfield from the second quarter of Saturday’s match was assessed. The panel said initial contact was made by Wood to Whitfield’s shoulder and upper chest area before sliding upwards to make high contact. It was the view of the panel that the force used in the high contact that was made was below that required to constitute a reportable offence. No further action was taken.

Contact between the GWS Giants’ Nathan Wilson and the Western Bulldogs’ Liam Picken from the second quarter of Saturday’s match was assessed. It was the view of the panel the force used was below that required to constitute a reportable offence. No further action was taken.

NB Rhys Palmer was punished by GWS, was traded to Carlton

Twodogs
06-01-2017, 05:32 PM
I wonder if Carlton will just keep those players for a bit and then, what, decide what GWS decided that they aren't up to AFL standards.

jeemak
06-01-2017, 05:55 PM
Whitfield proved himself an entitled little shit that night. He should have been rubbed out for being a drug cheat well and truly before the preliminary final as it was, and I'm not happy he gets to play next year.

LostDoggy
06-01-2017, 06:14 PM
Thought is was mighty handy having Callan Ward go off the ground in second qtr vs GWS. Other than that, I think we just played with too much heart for the other finalists (including Geelong)

I have had this conversation and I reckon you could argue for both sides whether Ward was a bigger loss than Roughhead. Ward is obviously a higher rated player but they had cover for him and losing Roughy for us made a huge hole (surprisingly well filled!).

Anyway, we lost one and so did they within short time.

jeemak
06-01-2017, 06:16 PM
I have had this conversation and I reckon you could argue for both sides whether Ward was a bigger loss than Roughhead. Ward is obviously a higher rated player but they had cover for him and losing Roughy for us made a huge whole (surprisingly well filled!).

Anyway, we lost one and so did they within short time.

Ward's the better player but was more easily replaced, I agree.

G-Mo77
06-01-2017, 06:55 PM
Yeah how things could have been different but over the years I don't think we've been alone there. We discussed this at work and it's not always necessarily the best side that wins the grand final. A lot of things have to go right at the right time and fortunately for us, this time the stars aligned.

bornadog
07-01-2017, 12:58 AM
Yeah how things could have been different but over the years I don't think we've been alone there. We discussed this at work and it's not always necessarily the best side that wins the grand final. A lot of things have to go right at the right time and fortunately for us, this time the stars aligned.

Not being biased, the best team did win. The top 7 were only separated by a couple of games during the H&A. We were the best performed through the finals.

jeemak
07-01-2017, 01:04 AM
Not being biased, the best team did win. The top 7 were only separated by a couple of games during the H&A. We were the best performed through the finals.

Exactly right. I had a massive issue with the commentariat declaring Sydney as the clear favourites to progress through the finals due to their consistency through the year when one through seven had a mere two game difference.

Healthy we were always as good as any other team, and we proved ourselves to be come first week of the finals. It was a great effort to come from seventh to win it, but there's not likely to be a year in the future where seventh were as good as we were and only two games from being in the top few.

LostDoggy
07-01-2017, 02:13 AM
Ward's the better player but was more easily replaced, I agree.

Roughy played a great game the week before.

Sedat
07-01-2017, 02:23 AM
Stevie J being suspended was very nice, but Rhys Palmer coming in to replace him was even better. They could have gone in one player short and been better off.

Ghost Dog
07-01-2017, 02:28 AM
Callan ward was the sort of player who may have dragged them over the line V GWS. Take Johnson and Ward out of any team, that's a big out. Getting beaten by Freo was somehow good for us!

This is my first post since the final, as I'm still in shock really. It's a dream come true in goal and journey.

LostDoggy
07-01-2017, 02:48 AM
West Coast midfielder Chris Masten rejects any suggestion the club's shock finals loss to the Western Bulldogs was linked to this year's controversial bye after the regular season ended.
The Eagles stormed home to win nine out of their final 10 matches including wins against highly ranked Hawthorn, Greater Western Sydney and Adelaide, the latter two away.

The Bulldogs went into Thursday night's elimination final after a loss to lowly Fremantle in Perth and mixed end to the year.

"I don't buy that momentum thing. All a couple of extra days can do is freshen a few blokes up," Masten told AAP.

Twodogs
07-01-2017, 03:15 AM
Exactly right. I had a massive issue with the commentariat declaring Sydney as the clear favourites to progress through the finals due to their consistency through the year when one through seven had a mere two game difference.

Healthy we were always as good as any other team, and we proved ourselves to be come first week of the finals. It was a great effort to come from seventh to win it, but there's not likely to be a year in the future where seventh were as good as we were and only two games from being in the top few.

There won't be seven teams as even as that for a whole. Somehow the top seven clubs kept winningeach week and we couldn't make up any ground even though we were winning most weeks.

Stevie J being suspended was very nice, but Rhys Palmer coming in to replace him was even better. They could have gone in one player short and been better off.

They arrogantly thought they'd sweep us aside and have him back for the GF I reckon. They even put a droppable player in the team.

Callan ward was the sort of player who may have dragged them over the line V GWS. Take Johnson and Ward out of any team, that's a big out. Getting beaten by Freo was somehow good for us!

This is my first post since the final, as I'm still in shock really. It's a dream come true in goal and journey.

Welcome back GD. It's hard to take in sometimes yeah.

Bulldog Joe
07-01-2017, 08:50 AM

Remember also, that the majority of the H&A losses occurred when we had significant injury.
The back to back losses with St Kilda and Geelong occurred with serious in game losses that probably impacted the result.

If we had won just one of those and think we would have beaten Freo and finished top 4.
We dead set did not try against Freo as it had no impact on our finishing position.
Bevo seems content to allow that dead rubber to be... well ....dead!

BulldogBelle
07-01-2017, 01:09 PM
The Wheel Turned

During the first part of the season we lost matches due to good and bad kicking for goal.

The opposition kicked great goals and took flukey marks. They kicked goals from all angles and scarcely missed. We on the other hand missed doozies.

Ordinary kicking for goal, from both us and the opposition, would have seen us win every game up to half way through the season.

We were due for some luck.

During the finals things were different. The opposition missed easy shots at goal and we got the hard ones.

The wheel had turned at the best possible time.

Twodogs
07-01-2017, 02:53 PM
The Wheel Turned

During the first part of the season we lost matches due to good and bad kicking for goal.

The opposition kicked great goals and took flukey marks. They kicked goals from all angles and scarcely missed. We on the other hand missed doozies.

Ordinary kicking for goal, from both us and the opposition, would have seen us win every game up to half way through the season.

We were due for some luck.

During the finals things were different. The opposition missed easy shots at goal and we got the hard ones.

The wheel had turned at the best possible time.

I can remember looking at the scoreboard at half time when we were 7.1 and thinking that we'd hit our goalkicking straps on the best day possible. Almost any other day it would have read 2.6 or 1.7 and we'd have looked completely out of it, a few days it would have been 3.5 or 4.4. We would have been having a day out if it was 5.3 and we'd still be a couple of the pace.

But in the GF we converted 7 of 8 scoring shots to half time. Things tightened up after halftime and our graph went the other way but while the sun shone thus group made hay. God love them.

BulldogBelle
07-01-2017, 03:25 PM
I can remember looking at the scoreboard at half time when we were 7.1 and thinking that we'd hit our goalkicking straps on the best day possible. Almost any other day it would have read 2.6 or 1.7 and we'd have looked completely out of it, a few days it would have been 3.5 or 4.4. We would have been having a day out if it was 5.3 and we'd still be a couple of the pace.

But in the GF we converted 7 of 8 scoring shots to half time. Things tightened up after halftime and our graph went the other way but while the sun shone thus group made hay. God love them.

That's true.

While we kicked the hard goals Sydney missed the easy ones.

Twodogs
07-01-2017, 04:18 PM
That's true.

While we kicked the hard goals Sydney missed the easy ones.

It's the Sydney fans who would have been edgy at halftime thinking "we should have put them away by now"

It's funny when you're at the game and you are five goals down at halftime someone will always point out that the scoring shots are the same and we are missing easy shots. Invariably somebody else then go on to point out that there are "no easy shots in Grand Finals" for some reason. Well they are wrong apparantly.

Ghost Dog
07-01-2017, 06:06 PM
There won't be seven teams as even as that for a whole. Somehow the top seven clubs kept winningeach week and we couldn't make up any ground even though we were winning most weeks.

They arrogantly thought they'd sweep us aside and have him back for the GF I reckon. They even put a droppable player in the team.

Welcome back GD. It's hard to take in sometimes yeah.

Thanks TD. How are you? I am still a bit speechless after 2016, As if I don't want last season to move on yet.
Steven Spielberg couldn't have penned a better script.
Perhaps our miserable goal kicking at times during the season shone a light on that aspect of our game and forced us to lift our game for the big dance. Tory Dickson had some shockers in the regular season. We then nailed it in the finals.

The bulldog tragician
07-01-2017, 06:32 PM
Isn't it true that history is written by winners? At the time that the Melbourne reject kicked the last minute goal, meaning hawks got double chance and we had to go to Perth, it seemed yet another example of Bulldogs bad luck and timing.

There were moments in each and every final that we could have said were the 'typical us' fateful turning points. Us missing all those shots in the 1st minutes against WCE and then gifting Kennedy a goal. Hodge getting our first goal over ruled. Roughead' eye injury. The JJ goal in the last quarter. The self belief of this group was such that these were all only hiccups that made them more determined. I don't think it's an accident either that our practice in nailing clutch goals in 2016 came to the fore in the finals. I remember considerable angst about the goals Bont missed in the 2015 EF. Like the star he is, he brushed aside any of the idea that this was just part of his ill fortune in being a bulldog. He nailed goals for us v Adelaide, WCE and Port at the right times.

Well to return to the original topic - the main duck that landed for us was not having to play Geelong. They'd given us our only real smashing for 2016 and our record against them especially in finals is just unbelievably horrid. But I'd have said the same about WCE...our guys were just on a quest that no one was ever going to stop.

Topdog
08-01-2017, 12:25 AM
Well to return to the original topic - the main duck that landed for us was not having to play Geelong. They'd given us our only real smashing for 2016 and our record against them especially in finals is just unbelievably horrid. But I'd have said the same about WCE...our guys were just on a quest that no one was ever going to stop.

Our record against the Hawks was equally pathetic in finals.

Twodogs
08-01-2017, 03:15 AM
Our record against the Hawks was equally pathetic in finals.

Yeah exactly.

I always thought that Geelong was our danger team and we were lucky to avoid them. But every team is a danger team to us in a final. Until last year.

hujsh
08-01-2017, 04:56 AM
Yeah exactly.

I always thought that Geelong was our danger team and we were lucky to avoid them. But every team is a danger team to us in a final. Until last year.
Except Sydney. I think we have a good record against them

Twodogs
08-01-2017, 06:31 AM

We are usually a danger to ourselves in finals. But I think I have seen us beat Sydney 3 times in finals. 1997, 2011 and 2016.

jeemak
08-01-2017, 09:06 AM
The monkey was well and truly ejected when we handed the arse to the Eagles. I couldn't think of a better way to do it either.

We have been smashed at Subiaco in H&A games, and in finals (Smith's last game) for as long as I can remember, it was by far on record the worst ground for us to play an elimination final at, but this side had something in it that the fancied team of the competition in week one of the finals didn't see coming.

I'll never forget the amazement that overtook me when we started pummelling the Eagles. It was the best thing I've ever seen on TV.

Bulldog Joe
08-01-2017, 09:28 AM
Yeah exactly.

I was sort of hoping that we got to play Geelong as I was always convinced we would smash them.
It is the one result I want in 2017, but I don't think Geelong will even make finals.

KT31
08-01-2017, 11:59 AM

From memory we have a 3 to zip record in finals against them since 97.

bornadog
08-01-2017, 12:00 PM
We are usually a danger to ourselves in finals. But I think I have seen us beat Sydney 3 times in finals. 1997, 2011 and 2016.

2010 not 2011. Didn't make the finals from 2011 to 2014.

LostDoggy
08-01-2017, 12:35 PM
We also beat Sydney in the 2008 SF. Our record against them is 4-0 since Princess Diana died.

Topdog
09-01-2017, 11:22 AM
We also beat Sydney in the 2008 SF. Our record against them is 4-0 since Princess Diana died.

Interesting reference point :)

Twodogs
09-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Interesting reference point :)

Apart from the first three quarters the most vivid memory of PM day 1997 is Di's memorial being held at St Paul's in the city. As we walked out of Flinders St station there were flowers and pictures of her and people were *!*!*!*!ing everywhere. I think I'm right in saying the crowd overflow nearly blocked the corner of Swanston and Flinders streets and the trams were having all sorts of problems.

Anyway my point is prelim final day 1997 and Diana's death are forever associated in my mind.

craigsahibee
09-01-2017, 12:32 PM

Yet 2 weeks earlier in the Semi we went in at half time with all of the momentum, yet trailing on the scoreboard with 6.10 to our name. I remember saying to another supporter that we had kicked 6.10 and next year we get Cloke.
There was that sense of dread that we only get so many chances in finals and we could have wasted them again that night, but at the same time the once indomitable Hawks were stuttering and we were in it up to our eyeballs at half time.
Even after their first goal of the 3rd qtr, when Roughy got an ordinary bounce and McEvoy found Schoenmakers in the clear who then hit up Breust, our response was exceptional. In the past we would have been a better than 50/50 chance to drop our heads and capitulate in a big game like this, but this group is as solid as any group we have ever had.