PDA

View Full Version : The mouthy cheeky bulldogs

ledge
04-01-2017, 03:00 PM
Just watching the grand final and you see Libba always having a word at the opposition.
Also read how one player who played against them ( can't remember who) absolutely hated him and Wallis because they were in your face.
Who else would be in your face players at the club?
I imagine we have a few , it can give you an edge if you can get inside some players heads.
Sometimes it's players you would never expect.
I imagine Clay Smith and Cordy for some reason.
Is there any others we would think are or know are ?

Bulldog Joe
04-01-2017, 03:10 PM
Just watching the grand final and you see Libba always having a word at the opposition.
Also read how one player who played against them ( can't remember who) absolutely hated him and Wallis because they were in your face.
I imagine we have a few , it can give you an edge if you can get inside some players heads.

The player who hated Libba and Wallis was from TAC and is now one of his best mates, as evidenced by their post season Vietnam odyssey.

It was the formerly dreadlocked Dahlhaus.

Twodogs
04-01-2017, 04:21 PM
The player who hated Libba and Wallis was from TAC and is now one of his best mates, as evidenced by their post season Vietnam odyssey.

It was the formerly dreadlocked Dahlhaus.

Dahlhaus says that late in the last quarter of the GF he felt a tap on his shoulder and turned around to find Libba standing there and he said "in 38 seconds the siren is going to go and I am going to hug you"

westdog54
04-01-2017, 04:39 PM

I never expected Bontempelli to love the verbal stuff but seeing him get in Firrito's face this year was one of the most joyful things from the whole year. Cordy was in everything in the Prelim as well.

Watching Libba get in Heath Shaw's face was fantastic. Loved the 'crazy' gesture he gives him after Dickson's first goal.

LostDoggy
04-01-2017, 04:55 PM
Agree WD.
Absolutely loving The Bont giving back as good as he gets,and then some.
I can't see Matty Boyd or Pickers taking much shit from anybody.

bornadog
04-01-2017, 06:04 PM
Watching Libba get in Heath Shaw's face was fantastic. Loved the 'crazy' gesture he gives him after Dickson's first goal.

Libba had a bunny in each of the finals. He gave it to Burgoyne a bit as well as Josh Kennedy in the Granny. Can't remember who got it in the WC game.

1eyedog
04-01-2017, 10:15 PM

That was in a Dahlhaus interview post GF. Says he hated Libba and Wally when they played for Calder and he played at the Falcons.

As for Cordy he has all the family mongel.

bulldogtragic
04-01-2017, 10:44 PM
Tom Boyd will be an enforcer from here on in. He's had to take yap from the opposition, now he's got the street cred and belief to verbal whoever he wants. He's already physically imposing, doesn't mind hitting players hard and is always prepared to protect his team mates. Everyone knows my lad Cordy loves it, Bonts giving it to Firrito, Libba to everyone, Picken to Boomer and others, Matty Boyd, Jong, Clay, Dunkley, Trav Cloke and others too don't mind attacking the player with the ball or giving sound advice. From here on in I think we are one of the toughest teams, if not the toughest team going around. Not 1980's dirty snipers, not faux tough men North built their club around, but really, really hard players at the contest, the player with the ball and getting into the heads of weaker opponents (see Jack Darling, Josh Dunkley and Darling's mums inability to wash the poo smell out of Jack's favourite pair of footy shorts). Our kids bodies are only going to get stronger, harder and hurt when they hit even more. And we like making them earn it, Easton's attack in the contest when Sydney marked and kicked the opening behind on the GF is just one example. If the monster Dad Collins has a tenth of the mongrel Cordy has, then I can't imagine too many opponents will like the idea of him being nearby with the ball is in the air either.

KT31
05-01-2017, 10:07 AM
That was in a Dahlhaus interview post GF. Says he hated Libba and Wally when they played for Calder and he played at the Falcons.

As for Cordy he has all the family mongel.

I know his brother was a spud but that is harsh.:D

merantau
05-01-2017, 01:55 PM
I like the silent types as well. Clay Smith doesn't seem to say much; he can't as his manic attack on the ball takes up all his energy! I like Easton Wood too. Whenever one of our boys cops a cheap shot he arrives on the scene like an express train. Roughie was great in the finals too. Flying the flag. Liam Picken is very inspirational. We have a lot of blokes chipping in their 2 bob's worth.

KT31
05-01-2017, 03:27 PM
Matty Boyd and Wood are great leaders and make sure if one of our young blokes cops a cheap shot, the instigator will have them to answer to.
Tom Boyd is also one who is big on sticking up for his teammates.
Actually if you went through our list there would most likely be an intance for evry player who donned our jumper this season you could make a positive case for.
It what made us so great.

comrade
05-01-2017, 05:13 PM
Stark contrast to days gone by. Remember the story about Rocket asking the group for those to step forward who believed they were good enough to play in the senior team, and barely any of the players did.

We've now got a group of young killers with ice running through their veins.

LostDoggy
06-01-2017, 12:46 AM
In terms of being a mouthy cheeky little pest to opposition teams and fans, one of our best would have to be Lachie Hunter. The type who really rankle opponents. Toby McLean has real potential and Josh Dunkley is a competitive beast who yabbers all day long and attacks the contest with an intensity to match. Libba is king but these guys will grow, we'll shit opposition teams so much.

merantau
06-01-2017, 09:23 PM
I hope our blokes get right on to Lobb. I have the perfect bait name for him too: "Shoelace." Remember when he fell over himself in the Prelim? He got up and pretended to do up his shoelace to hide his embarrassment. Might have conned Joe Hill the blind miner but not the TV camera.

Twodogs
07-01-2017, 11:08 AM
I hope our blokes get right on to Lobb. I have the perfect bait name for him too: "Shoelace." Remember when he fell over himself in the Prelim? He got up and pretended to do up his shoelace to hide his embarrassment. Might have conned Joe Hill the blind miner but not the TV camera.

They have edits of the game under almost very reason these days. I wonder if they make a 'opposition embarrassing themselves' edit?

ledge
07-01-2017, 04:55 PM
And the WCE player who ducked his head going for a mark at CHB and pretty much sealed the game for us.

1eyedog
07-01-2017, 05:23 PM
And the WCE player who ducked his head going for a mark at CHB and pretty much sealed the game for us.

Another telling moment in our finals series. Senior player and serious unit Jack Darling shirks the contest with first year player Josh Dunkley 100% committed to the football. Sums up our finals endeavor in one brief snapshot.

If being negligent in your role within the workplace is a sackable offence on the average shop floor Darling should hang the boots up and seek a career in the public service. That no contest by Darling was deplorable and for a player on 500 large surely a sackable offence :D

Twodogs
07-01-2017, 05:55 PM
It was bloody funny though. Darling shit himself like a big, black Alsatian. Against someone who was playing TAC cup 12 months before.

westdog54
08-01-2017, 07:44 AM
It was bloody funny though. Darling shit himself like a big, black Alsatian. Against someone who was playing TAC cup 12 months before.

The only way it could have been worse would be if it was GF day.

That moment will follow him for the rest of his career.

Twodogs
08-01-2017, 08:25 AM

'Hound him' is the most appropriate term.

ledge
08-01-2017, 01:42 PM
Players have lost careers through that kind of thing.

KT31
08-01-2017, 02:05 PM

'Hound him' is the most appropriate term.

Players have lost careers through that kind of thing.

I'm positive the commentators mentioned he had done a similar thing in a final the previous season.

westdog54
08-01-2017, 07:11 PM
I'm positive the commentators mentioned he had done a similar thing in a final the previous season.

Pretty sure it wasn't an 19yo lightweight that time though.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
09-01-2017, 07:20 PM
I would like to see highlights of Heath Shaw's meltdowns in the prelim they were gold

Twodogs
09-01-2017, 08:11 PM
I would like to see highlights of Heath Shaw's meltdowns in the prelim they were gold

Al should do Octocalls of them.

Mantis
10-01-2017, 09:35 AM
Pretty sure it wasn't an 19yo lightweight that time though.

Not sure Dunkley is a lightweight.

Mofra
10-01-2017, 10:06 AM
Stark contrast to days gone by. Remember the story about Rocket asking the group for those to step forward who believed they were good enough to play in the senior team, and barely any of the players did.
I remember that story, he asked for anyone who thought they were a senior AFL player to step forward to do so and only six blokes did.

hujsh
10-01-2017, 10:14 AM
I remember that story, he asked for anyone who thought they were a senior AFL player to step forward to do so and only six blokes did.

So Darcey, Grant, Johnno, West, Smith and someone else

craigsahibee
10-01-2017, 10:56 AM

Dropped a sitter of a chest mark at the Punt Rd end in the 2015 GF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgM8939hFfQ

merantau
10-01-2017, 11:45 AM

Heath Shaw is a rolled gold entertainment machine. He's got that finger pointing routine nailed. And just to show he's no OneTrick Pony, check out his A-List arm waving. Makes a traffic cop on duty outside Flindets Street Station look like a three-toed sloth. And his scary eyes routine? Wow, really puts the frighteners on sensitive three year olds. He's our equivalent of soccer's petulant goalkeeper. In terms of infallibility Health only has one rival and he lives in Rome!

jeemak
10-01-2017, 01:30 PM
So Darcey, Grant, Johnno, West, Smith and someone else

I think or recall funnily enough, Shane Birss may have been out of the blocks to front and centre.

Mofra
10-01-2017, 02:48 PM
I think or recall funnily enough, Shane Birss may have been out of the blocks to front and centre.
Always liked Birss, just one of those guys that always seemed to give 100% when he was on the field.

Twodogs
10-01-2017, 03:06 PM
Could it have been my favourite player from the time Ben Harrison?

Heath Shaw is a rolled gold entertainment machine. He's got that finger pointing routine nailed. And just to show he's no OneTrick Pony, check out his A-List arm waving. Makes a traffic cop on duty outside Flindets Street Station look like a three-toed sloth. And his scary eyes routine? Wow, really puts the frighteners on sensitive three year olds. He's our equivalent of soccer's petulant goalkeeper. In terms of infallibility Health only has one rival and he lives in Rome!

Silvio Berlescone?

Twodogs
10-01-2017, 03:12 PM
Not sure Dunkley is a lightweight.

He'd frighten Adrian Anderson.

He'd frighten me. From a distance.

merantau
10-01-2017, 03:18 PM
Could it have been my favourite player from the time Ben Harrison?

Silvio Berlescone?

I was thinking the Pope but Silvio fits the bill as well. Believe he billed the Italian government for his "Bunga-Bunga" parties. Listed them as 'team-bonding' seminars on his expenses claim.

KT31
11-01-2017, 01:34 PM
James Hird has moved to Rome......??;)

merantau
11-01-2017, 03:35 PM
James Hird has moved to Rome......??;)

Good one ... I like it. Dad Alan would be a shoe-in for Papal Press Secretary.

The Pie Man
19-01-2017, 04:42 PM

We've now got a group of young killers with ice running through their veins.

Remember hearing this quote at an Origin presentation he did - the quote I remember was 'well we'll struggle to field a team then boys'