PDA

View Full Version : Jake Stringers season 2016. Average or not?

Mitcha
14-01-2017, 11:41 AM
Keep hearing how Jake was supposedly disappointing during 2016 but when comparing numbers to the love child of channel 7s Bruuuuuce among others was there really much of a difference?
Jake-23 games 323 touches at an average of 14 with 65 shots at goal resulting in 42 goals 23 behinds. 48 tackles.
Cyril-21 games 288 touches at an average of 14 with 60 shots at goal resulting in 47 goals 13 behinds. 128 tackles.
Other than the forward fifty defensive pressure that Rioli gives, why was one named All Australian and the other was deemed down on output? Discuss?

Twodogs
14-01-2017, 11:57 AM
Because one coach/ing department had the stones to send their player to the twos to relearn the non negotiables before the finals came and it was too late and the other didn't?

Jake Stringer was a significant contributer to his team winning a premiership. That's worth more than all 22 All-Australian jumpers combined.

GVGjr
14-01-2017, 12:02 PM
It's an interesting comparison between Stringer and Cyril Rioli you raise
I think both were down on their 2015 seasons but Cyril was better.

I also think both struggled from missing key forwards playing along side of them during the season

It seems to me in Stringers case he missed having Crameri in the side and also he didn't have Tom Boyd for sizeable chunk of the season. He still seemed down on form to me and was beaten by opposition players I think he normally wouldn't have had a problem with. He will be harder to match up on with Cloke and Crameri in the side.

Cyril performed OK but he might have had more opportunities had Roughead not missed the season. As you have pointed out, it's his defensive efforts that really stand out. Looking at the stats if Stringer had have converted his chances a bit better perhaps my opinion that he was down on form might have changed.

Cyril is overrated by the media and I think I have higher expectations on what Stringer should consistently deliver for us than I probably should.

Stringer seemed to carry a shoulder injury however I don't think he had it addressed after the season.

hujsh
14-01-2017, 12:39 PM
Cyril is also firmly established as a 'champion' in the minds of many so he gets the benefit of the doubt. If he got 12 touches they must have been important, dangerous touches.

LostDoggy
14-01-2017, 01:54 PM
Cyril is also firmly established as a 'champion' in the minds of many so he gets the benefit of the doubt. If he got 12 touches they must have been important, dangerous touches.
Cyril has reflexes like a cat. His disposal and ball use continues to be effective and damaging. He performed to a high level in 2016. There is no comparison in terms of what Cyril and Stringer delivered in 2016. Cyril performed to a high level more often.

Stringer obviously has the talent, but failed to capitalise on his output due to a lack of consistency.

Bulldog4life
14-01-2017, 02:08 PM

I also think both struggled from missing key forwards playing along side of them during the season

It seems to me in Stringers case he missed having Crameri in the side and also he didn't have Tom Boyd for sizeable chunk of the season. He still seemed down on form to me and was beaten by opposition players I think he normally wouldn't have had a problem with. He will be harder to match up on with Cloke and Crameri in the side.

Cyril performed OK but he might have had more opportunities had Roughead not missed the season. As you have pointed out, it's his defensive efforts that really stand out. Looking at the stats if Stringer had have converted his chances a bit better perhaps my opinion that he was down on form might have changed.

Cyril is overrated by the media and I think I have higher expectations on what Stringer should consistently deliver for us than I probably should.

Stringer seemed to carry a shoulder injury however I don't think he had it addressed after the season.

Stringer's form seem to taper off when Redpath went down too. You can see that the forwards liked having Big Jack up and about.

Twodogs
14-01-2017, 02:15 PM

It's a good point you make about the cattle around them.

I think we've been a bit tough on Stringer's 2016. He was expected to play a different role in a different forward line than the one we had the year before with Crameri and Dalhaus missing out of our 2015 best forward line. Sure Jake's output was down on his 2015 but he did a lot of things in 2016 that just wouldn't have happened in 2015. For instance at the exact moment that Jake is streaming into the forward 50 at Spotless with 40 seconds to go in the prelim there is only one way we can lose the game and that us for Jake to *!*!*!*! up, have a shot that falls into a GWS players hands or give a free away something like that and honestly looking back how many of us thought that was what was going to happen? I kinda did. But he didn't, he took a bounce and summed up the best option and then performed that option perfectly. That was just one of many moments Jake took on and got just right over September. He wasn't alone in having a good September but he had one.

I like that we mark Jake hard because his very best is spectacular and we ought to expect it, but we also need to be patient because in a lot of ways Jake is learning to play footy again. Probably for the first time in his life on the field he has to make a real effort to be really effective and do everything we expect of him. If we are patient with Jake the pay off will be enormous.

Give me 12 disposals from the Bont anytime. It's like depth perception is his sixth sense

Go_Dogs
14-01-2017, 03:02 PM
Reflecting on the season by reading the Bulldogs magazine, I was surprised to look back at the number of games he kicked multiple goals. His consistency towards the end of the year, combined with his shoulder issues is what I'd focussed on.

Interesting comparison.

The good thing is we're yet to see how good Jake can be.

hujsh
14-01-2017, 04:07 PM
Cyril has reflexes like a cat. His disposal and ball use continues to be effective and damaging. He performed to a high level in 2016. There is no comparison in terms of what Cyril and Stringer delivered in 2016. Cyril performed to a high level more often.

Stringer obviously has the talent, but failed to capitalise on his output due to a lack of consistency.

I don't necessarily disagree with that. I do think if he and Stringer had the same season Cyril's would be rated more highly based on past performance.

SonofScray
14-01-2017, 04:21 PM
He had a good season on the balance of things. We mark him very harshly because his best is the stuff of GOATs and he is better than simply being a mercurial goal kicker. The Ablett comparisons are reasonable. Family issues and the shoulder appeared to present him with some adversity which he struggled to shake off in the context of being the biggest opposition threat and attracting most of the attention.

No doubt in my mind he'll have a bigger, more frequently impact in 2017.

boydogs
14-01-2017, 05:15 PM
He was good until the shoulder issue. Whether it was the shoulder or Abby after that, his output when he returned was well down

comrade
14-01-2017, 05:35 PM
Until Stringer physically commits to every contest, he'll have to cop being criticised by fans and commentators. He pulls out of contests too often, this is just a part of his game. The first quarter of the Eagles final had multiple instances of it. Whether it was the shoulder haunting him or his preference is to crumb packs and kick goals using his ground level skills, he needs to overcome this weakness if he's to reach his full potential.

GVGjr
14-01-2017, 06:31 PM
Until Stringer physically commits to every contest, he'll have to cop being criticised by fans and commentators. He pulls out of contests too often, this is just a part of his game. The first quarter of the Eagles final had multiple instances of it. Whether it was the shoulder haunting him or his preference is to crumb packs and kick goals using his ground level skills, he needs to overcome this weakness if he's to reach his full potential.

There is a perception issue with Stringer and his efforts and I failed to mention in my original response that he occasionally dropped marks that he should have held and that was possibly because of an injured shoulder.

He can frustrate and delight our fans but the one big difference between Rioli and Stringer is I don't think I've ever heard a Hawks supporter question Cyril's efforts.

Topdog
14-01-2017, 07:58 PM
I'm sorry but how can you gloss over 80 more tackles and 5 more goals in 2 less games? basically 4 tackles more every game.

GVGjr
14-01-2017, 08:22 PM
I'm sorry but how can you gloss over 80 more tackles and 5 more goals in 2 less games? basically 4 tackles more every game.

You can't but the opening posts challenges an AA selection for Rioli and the perception that Stringer had a below average season.

I don't think anyone would say Rioli wasn't a good player last year and as you point out his stats with superior numbers of tackles and goal conversions support that.

Topdog
14-01-2017, 09:46 PM
You can't but the opening posts challenges an AA selection for Rioli and the perception that Stringer had a below average season.

I don't think anyone would say Rioli wasn't a good player last year and as you point out his stats with superior numbers of tackles and goal conversions support that.

Yeah although I dont think Jake was contending for the small forward position that Rioli got. I didn't mind Stringer last season, he had a poor end to the year but a good start.

Thats something else, people tend to remember the last 5-6 weeks and that was Jake's worst performing section of the season

Eastdog
14-01-2017, 10:14 PM
Jake Stringer in 2016 did some great things and got some very important goals for us when it mattered. I think will be looking for more consistency from Jake in 2017 and hopefully be solid for the entire game. The potential will come way more to the forefront hopefully in 2017.

FrediKanoute
15-01-2017, 07:50 PM
Yeah although I dont think Jake was contending for the small forward position that Rioli got. I didn't mind Stringer last season, he had a poor end to the year but a good start.

Thats something else, people tend to remember the last 5-6 weeks and that was Jake's worst performing section of the season

Agreed, early on he was great. The shoulder, thought played it down seemed to be the point at which his season changed. Whilst not what we would prefer, Jake only needs to get the ball a handful of times to impact - his goal in the last in the G F and 1his 3 goals vs the Hawks, the first of which was a bomb.

bulldogtragic
15-01-2017, 08:20 PM
It's what Cyril does when he doesn't have the ball, the things stat sheets don't record...

With most things in life people compare to define happiness or satisfaction (especially footy journos who are responsible for the thread topic). He had a suitable year often as the sole bigger forward in a premiership team. I think the fairer comparison that some might go off is his 2015 and 2016. There's a lot of moving parts and if he reversed those years they'd have said his 2015 was a good lift to his game, and 2016 wa another lift. Obviously it wasn't, but I doubt there would be the same focus in that event than there was this year. There's also less focus on why things may have tapered off (losing Crameri, Redders & Boyd's suspension, as well Tom playing more ruck time. Also his shoulder, and also the apparent breakdown of his family unit). So it's fine that people who don't really understand the circumstances to give ill informed opinions, they did on Taylor winning the RS, on Tom Boyd, our coach etc. So I don't mind treating ill informed opinion as just that.

For me, there's three situations that I judge Stringer and his 2016 on:

1. 30 seconds to go in a preliminary final. We hadn't won one for 55 years. GWS were pushing, his calmness to hit Dicko and not take a glory attempt at goal puts us into a grand final.

2. His goal in the Grand Final. There would be a handful of players in the entire comp who could kick that. Crucial time, crucial goal.

3. Sydney are trying to push back and wrestle momentum back to roll over us for a premiership victory with 2 minutes to go. He is around a contest, gets a great handball puts the jets on, gets a Tom Boyd sheperd and does not go for the glory attempted goal, but passes it to Picken and we get the premiership victory.

Those three crucial things in our premiership register as "3 kicks, 1 goal, 2 goal assists".

As I opened, most people get frustrated or otherwise dissatisfied when they use comparison to determine happiness or satisfaction (such as their/others salary, house, partner etc.). Often context of circumstances is overlooked. The three kicks of Jake's above, among lower possession counts generally he had, are reflective of lower output in a comparison in years or with players. But... In context, they're essential to feeling pure footy nirvana for him, 21 mates, his coach, Bob, everyone at the club, everyone who supports the club and everyone who wasn't supporting Sydney (about 22,000,000 Aussies). So, how I see it a young bloke, with a bung shoulder, a home falling a part, who was being double teamed in a short forward line, who was having heaps of positive 'GAS like comparison' press and then the opposite press, who came back from the VFL then played an integral part in our club winning a premiership by executing at key moments, with great poise, precise skill and seasoned maturity beyond his years.

Average or not?

Not.

whythelongface
19-01-2017, 02:11 PM
Reflecting on the season by reading the Bulldogs magazine, I was surprised to look back at the number of games he kicked multiple goals. His consistency towards the end of the year, combined with his shoulder issues is what I'd focussed on.

Interesting comparison.

The good thing is we're yet to see how good Jake can be.

Pretty much this. We have seen snippets and at his best he is brilliant.

As others have alluded to the cattle around him makes a big difference to his ability to influence games. Having the likes of Cloke and Crameri in the forward line will provide Stringer with a bit freedom in the forward line.

bornadog
19-01-2017, 04:20 PM
2016 Highlights Reel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPQZggM5K8g&t=119s

The Pie Man
19-01-2017, 04:33 PM
I was amazed we dropped him when we did, but at least he came back willing to do more of the team stuff, which proved important at certain stages in the finals. Thought he had some late in games impact through the season as well.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are these 'family' issues a few have alluded to on this thread?

bulldogtragic
19-01-2017, 04:35 PM
I was amazed we dropped him when we did, but at least he came back willing to do more of the team stuff, which proved important at certain stages in the finals. Thought he had some late in games impact through the season as well.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are these 'family' issues a few have alluded to on this thread?

A few weeks back a poster stated that they saw Jake's partner had Facebooked about the break up of their relationship, and struggles of keeping family life normal for their kids.

LostDoggy
20-01-2017, 08:45 PM
He set a bar so high in 2015 it kind of felt like he had dropped off in 2016, when is reality he had a pretty good year.

2017 will be an even better year for The Package.

AndrewP6
20-01-2017, 09:47 PM
A few weeks back a poster stated that they saw Jake's partner had Facebooked about the break up of their relationship, and struggles of keeping family life normal for their kids.

It was on Instagram, Abby posted that they'd been separated for 6 months and would be for the foreseeable future. That, and being father to 2 at such a young age, along with the demands of being a professional footballer, had to impact on him IMO.

jeemak
21-01-2017, 12:54 AM
Yep, it sure would.

Post the most recent query by a poster I did a brief interwebs search and it baffles me how open people are with their social media accounts.

I really don't understand how readily people give up their privacy, and also the privacy of their children. If and when I have children I will under no circumstances allow them to not have a say in their social media presence until once they are mature enough, prior to me every posting images and information about them on any platform.

comrade
21-01-2017, 02:38 PM
The big positive of Stringer's year is we now know the player we have on our hands (mercurial, prone to ridiculous highlight worthy moments but inconsistent & unlikely to ever be the Carey/Buddy-sequel go to top banana) & were still able to win a flag.

Bevo can now plan his forward strategy with a better idea of how to utilise Stringer's strength. The good news is we have the personnel to really help him shine in 2017 (Crameri back, Cloke in & Tom Boyd breaking out).

Ghost Dog
22-01-2017, 04:20 AM
You need the at times, disinterested X-freak to compliment the trusty workhorse in a team. We don't expect all things, all the time of Jake, just to do his part. The pull of the persona cult is strong in the media, but do we care? It's team.