PDA

View Full Version : Caleb Daniel in 2017

bornadog
02-02-2017, 12:54 PM
After playing a few games in 2015, Caleb had a great 2016, nearly snagging the AFEL Rising Star award ( I believe he should have got it).

Where do you see him playing in 2017? Can he move to the midfield or does he need to build up his strength and wait a few years?

Just to remind you how good this kid is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-jfHEMaJqQ

bulldogtragic
02-02-2017, 01:01 PM
He can play anywhere for mine. Smarts and skills are already elite, so anywhere other than KPP or ruck. He can kick goals, run through lines, hit up targets really well and even shut down red hot guns like he did on Sam Mitchell early 2016. He's flexible, dynamic, smart, highly skilled and has regularly performed in clutch moments like his goal in the prelim. So all over the ground in short.

Twodogs
02-02-2017, 01:29 PM
This kid is smart enough to play in any section of the ground. Forward, mid or in defence those freaky ball skills will help him to flourish.

We made out ike bandits swapping Liam Jones for pick 46 and then spending pick 46 on Claeb Daniel. If he isn't already then in a few years when they do a retrospective of the 2014 draft Calec will be in the top 5 I reckon.

Mofra
02-02-2017, 01:45 PM
I think he was playing his best position in 2016 - high half forward pushing into the contest.
You want the ball in his hands delivering into the F50 as he is just so clean under pressure and always makes the best possible decision.

1eyedog
02-02-2017, 01:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhg61fJID6g

bornadog
02-02-2017, 01:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhg61fJID6g

That kid is so cute.

Twodogs
02-02-2017, 03:18 PM
I think he was playing his best position in 2016 - high half forward pushing into the contest.
You want the ball in his hands delivering into the F50 as he is just so clean under pressure and always makes the best possible decision.

That little dinky kick that hit the up the Bont v Sydney. So quick, so calm, so surgical.

That kid is so cute.

Which one?

bornadog
02-02-2017, 04:06 PM
That little dinky kick that hit the up the Bont v Sydney. So quick, so calm, so surgical.

Which one?
Haha, Grace of course:D

Greystache
02-02-2017, 06:01 PM
NAB had activists protesting the front of the building in Docklands chanting sexism and misogyny over those ads because the kids were all boys and girls were being systemically excluded. True story.

Even after the GM of marketing went out and explained that little Caleb (and Ivan Maric) were both played by girls they refused to move on. They just changed their position to protest that there was more boys than girls in the ad. It was very entertaining.

1eyedog
02-02-2017, 09:36 PM
NAB had activists protesting the front of the building in Docklands chanting sexism and misogyny over those ads because the kids were all boys and girls were being systemically excluded. True story.

Even after the GM of marketing went out and explained that little Caleb (and Ivan Maric) were both played by girls they refused to move on. They just changed their position to protest that there was more boys than girls in the ad. It was very entertaining.

Where's the boiling oil when you need it?

craigsahibee
03-02-2017, 12:45 PM
When Caleb received his medal in this years Premiers Medal ceremony, was it the first time ever that the Auskick kid had to bend down to put the medal around the players neck? ;)

stefoid
03-02-2017, 10:39 PM
Like Bont, we get best value if he gets most of his possessions in the forward half of the ground. Whether thats as a mid or a nominal forward doesnt matter so much.

I reckon he needs to work on his burst and power to evade and slip clutching hands. He only needs a small break on his opponent to use the ball really well, and he will be really hard to legally tackle.

merantau
05-02-2017, 05:34 PM
Caleb Daniel is a very special player. He has special powers that enable him to execute under extreme pressure in confined spaces. Has been consistently good since his first game. Loved his goal against St Kilda from memory when he sold them, and 35,000 spectators, the dummy.

Eastdog
05-02-2017, 06:11 PM
There was initially skepticism when we got him by a few mainly due to his height but gee he is a great user of the footy and is quick and I look forward to seeing more progression in Caleb in 2017.

Twodogs
05-02-2017, 07:10 PM
It just goes to show that if you are a good enough footballer it doesn't matter how tall you are. In fact his lack of height can work to his advantage because the ball is closer to his centre of gravity more often than any other player. All those half trackers and balls that only just bounce up are chest high for Caleb.

And a couple of time in the finals taller players would be waiting for the ball to bounce up to them when Caleb after bending only slightly to duck under the players elbow appeared from behind them, scooped the ball up on the half volley and was away before before the opposition knew what was going on.

Eastdog
05-02-2017, 07:40 PM
Good post TD. Yes actually his height has an advantage in a lot of situations in the game.

The Underdog
05-02-2017, 08:21 PM
He can play anywhere for mine. Smarts and skills are already elite, so anywhere other than KPP or ruck. He can kick goals, run through lines, hit up targets really well and even shut down red hot guns like he did on Sam Mitchell early 2016. He's flexible, dynamic, smart, highly skilled and has regularly performed in clutch moments like his goal in the prelim. So all over the ground in short.

He's a clever player with tidy skills but he can't play in the backline. Too easily exploited in the air. In he middle - yes, forward - yes, back - no

FrediKanoute
05-02-2017, 09:17 PM
What sets him apart is his use of the ball when he gets it. Its lethal and the hurt factor of Daniel getting the ball 15 times is huge. For mine its on ball or half forward. Agree he needs to work on the burst.

Eastdog
05-02-2017, 09:25 PM
What sets him apart is his use of the ball when he gets it. Its lethal and the hurt factor of Daniel getting the ball 15 times is huge. For mine its on ball or half forward. Agree he needs to work on the burst.

Daniel and Dahl both have great disposal efficiency.

GVGjr
05-02-2017, 09:31 PM
He's a clever player with tidy skills but he can't play in the backline. Too easily exploited in the air. In he middle - yes, forward - yes, back - no

While I agree with this assessment the defensive pressure he applies in the forward line is pretty good. He'd probably find a way to not get exploited in the backline but it's midfield and forward where he will do his best work.

Twodogs
06-02-2017, 04:16 AM
He'd find a way to play in defence but I don't know why we are talking about it. The kid will be an offensive weapon after a couple wore preseasons, he will be kicking and setting up goals from everywhere.

LostDoggy
07-02-2017, 05:15 PM
Just purchased one of the to be 12 yo daughters' birthday presents, it has a gold logo and a number 39 on it.

He needs to be delivering into the forward line, he is one of most assured kicks into the 50 arc.

jeemak
07-02-2017, 05:57 PM
He'd get belted in a positional defencive role, there's barely a single top grade gun forward let alone AFL genuine forward who with decent delivery wouldn't cream him in the air moving at, away or laterally.

He'll get more time in the midfield as he matures, right now his role suits him really well.

Greystache
07-02-2017, 06:04 PM
Just purchased one of the to be 12 yo daughters' birthday presents, it has a gold logo and a number 39 on it.

He needs to be delivering into the forward line, he is one of most assured kicks into the 50 arc.

I hope you didn't buy that in honour of Caleb Daniel?

bulldogtragic
07-02-2017, 06:07 PM

Don't you know who Caleb Daniel is? He won the Norm Smith medal last year, is quick, comes from South Africa. Caleb Daniel. I thought you'd know our players a little more Rick.

Twodogs
07-02-2017, 08:51 PM

Libba obviously.

Eastdog
07-02-2017, 09:12 PM
Don't you know who Caleb Daniel is? He won the Norm Smith medal last year, is quick, comes from South Africa. Caleb Daniel. I thought you'd know our players a little more Rick.

That's JJ :) :)

LostDoggy
08-02-2017, 12:11 AM
Thats pretty funny, i can assure you i purchased the number 35 but i typed 39 here!

Stupid fat fingers...