PDA

View Full Version : Round 1 - Record home & away crowd??

Webby
08-02-2017, 08:32 PM
Just looking ahead to our round 1 clash with Collingwood at the MCG, I turned my head to the record books and found that our all time record home and away crowd was 68,447 versus Richmond (then reigning premiers enroute to back to back flags) in 1974. Pretty modest, I'd have thought, but remembering our home stadiums have been capped at capacities well below that figure...

Surely one more historic day in the club's history is pending?!

We should be staring at mid 70's if not nudging into the 80,000's, wouldn't you think?? I'd be disappointed at anything less than a comfortable new record.

Twodogs
08-02-2017, 10:05 PM
Just looking ahead to our round 1 clash with Collingwood at the MCG, I turned my head to the record books and found that our all time record home and away crowd was 68,447 versus Richmond (then reigning premiers enroute to back to back flags) in 1974. Pretty modest, I'd have thought, but remembering our home stadiums have been capped at capacities well below that figure...

Surely one more historic day in the club's history is pending?!

We should be staring at mid 70's if not nudging into the 80,000's, wouldn't you think?? I'd be disappointed at anything less than a comfortable new record.

Cheers Webby, it's a good question. With all the new bulldog supporters it be disappointed if less than 75 turned up AND it was a pro magpie crowd. I think this is the perfect opportunity for our new and born again supporters to get along and out-shout the magpie army.

l like that 'out shout the magpie army' We should make that our goal seeing as how we are keen to bed down a season opener against Collingwood each year. What better way to make our point than with a thumping pro-bulldog crowd filling the MCG?

What was the crowd on ANZAC day 1983 Webby? I'm sure it was '83. We kicked ten goals to in their no goals the first quarter and ended up fell over the line by 4 points. I remember that being a huge crowd. Brian Royal or Steve Wallis said there were more people in the ground today than lived in the town he grew up in. It was 60k+. I don't think it was 68k though.

We can't have had that many 50k+ H&A crowds at all really. We only had one chance a year up until the 70s when VFL park opened and I don't remember huge crowds flocking to our games there.

bornadog
08-02-2017, 11:57 PM
Cheers Webby, it's a good question. With all the new bulldog supporters it be disappointed if less than 75 turned up AND it was a pro magpie crowd. I think this is the perfect opportunity for our new and born again supporters to get along and out-shout the magpie army.

l like that 'out shout the magpie army' We should make that our goal seeing as how we are keen to bed down a season opener against Collingwood each year. What better way to make our point than with a thumping pro-bulldog crowd filling the MCG?

What was the crowd on ANZAC day 1983 Webby? I'm sure it was '83. We kicked ten goals to in their no goals the first quarter and ended up fell over the line by 4 points. I remember that being a huge crowd. Brian Royal or Steve Wallis said there were more people in the ground today than lived in the town he grew up in. It was 60k+. I don't think it was 68k though.

We can't have had that many 50k+ H&A crowds at all really. We only had one chance a year up until the 70s when VFL park opened and I don't remember huge crowds flocking to our games there.

Richmond game on Anzac day was 51,651 and we won by 2 points. Incredible game that one.

In 2006 we played Collingwood at the G, round 9 in front of 67,920.

Eastdog
09-02-2017, 12:35 AM
We will definitely be out in force come round 1 that's for sure. If we could get between 70,000 to 80,000 that would be a fantastic result despite it not being our home game. The way to find out if we would get the big numbers is if we had a home game at the G.

At Etihad in 2010 against the Pies we got exactly 49,000 there which was an excellent result but the game itself wasn't a good one going down by 6 goals.

I love your passion Webby particularly on this history of club I've read in previous threads in the past.

Twodogs
09-02-2017, 01:24 AM
Was it really only 51000? To an excited 19 year old who'd just seen his team win 3 of the first 4 for the first time never and were gunning for number 4 in a long time I seemed a lot bigger.

It was an amazing game of football

The Pie Man
09-02-2017, 12:10 PM
Weather depending, you'd think at least mid 70s. Looking forward to it

bornadog
09-02-2017, 02:31 PM
Was it really only 51000? To an excited 19 year old who'd just seen his team win 3 of the first 4 for the first time never and were gunning for number 4 in a long time I seemed a lot bigger.

Yes, I was there.

Other Records, H&A

2009, round 15 v Pies = 51,382, Etihad. That is our record there.

Highest attendance at VFL park, was Rd14 1998 v Saints = 49706

Best Crowd at Western Oval (VU Whitten), was in 1955 v Collingwood. 42,354. How the hell did they all fit in.

Axe Man
09-02-2017, 04:54 PM
Brian Royal or Steve Wallis said there were more people in the ground today than lived in the town he grew up in.

That wouldn't be hard, Leongatha (Wallis) has about 5,000-6,000 people and Bairnsdale (Royal) has about 13,000-14,000. Over 30 years ago the populations were likely even lower.

Twodogs
09-02-2017, 06:39 PM
That wouldn't be hard, Leongatha (Wallis) has about 5,000-6,000 people and Bairnsdale (Royal) has about 13,000-14,000. Over 30 years ago the populations were likely even lower.

You could put them together and they'd get halfway. I Always thought Bairnsdale was bigger. I've never actually been there though so god knows why.

Webby
09-02-2017, 10:40 PM

I was there, too. First time I ever went to the footy with the family over the road. I still remember their mum screaming at me "you're a bloody good luck charm" as Jock Edmond bagged his fourth goal of the opening term.

Reality kicked in and they came back hard.

Richmond had made the GF for the 4th time in ten years 7 months earlier. They'd been flying to that point and I reckon that Anzac Day game was the beginning of the end for them. They didn't win another final for 12 or 13 years (and only one since, from memory!)

It'd be interesting to track their crowd figures from '83 onwards. There were times in the late '80's when I reckon only their cheer squad turned up! It was a shocking look at the MCG.

It's funny how the so-called big clubs shrink when they're success starved. On the flip side, I'm obviously intrigued to see how big we can be with some success... (Reckon I will pull those Richmond crowd figures at some point.)

Webby
09-02-2017, 10:51 PM
Richmond average home crowds:
1980: 50,864 (Premiers)
1982: 43,814 (Runners up)

1987: 18,338 (Wooden Spooners)

What a difference premiership contention versus being a joke makes!

I'm loving the anticipation of what we can be this year!

Twodogs
10-02-2017, 12:30 AM
I was there, too. First time I ever went to the footy with the family over the road. I still remember their mum screaming at me "you're a bloody good luck charm" as Jock Edmond bagged his fourth goal of the opening term.

Reality kicked in and they came back hard.

Richmond had made the GF for the 4th time in ten years 7 months earlier. They'd been flying to that point and I reckon that Anzac Day game was the beginning of the end for them. They didn't win another final for 12 or 13 years (and only one since, from memory!)

It'd be interesting to track their crowd figures from '83 onwards. There were times in the late '80's when I reckon only their cheer squad turned up! It was a shocking look at the MCG.

It's funny how the so-called big clubs shrink when they're success starved. On the flip side, I'm obviously intrigued to see how big we can be with some success... (Reckon I will pull those Richmond crowd figures at some point.)

Unveil able quarter by Jock. Did he snag 6 or 7 in the first quarter? I know he only snagged one more for the day but I have an idea in my head that it was the one that regained the lead for us on the last quarter because Richmond hit the front and we kicked the last goal of the day. That's how I remember it anyway. I've never seen a replay of the game.

Richmond average home crowds:
1980: 50,864 (Premiers)
1982: 43,814 (Runners up)

1987: 18,338 (Wooden Spooners)

What a difference premiership contention versus being a joke makes!

I'm loving the anticipation of what we can be this year!

Their average crowd falls nearly 36000 to 18000 in 7 years. That's pretty funny for anyone whose first precocious footy memories are Richmond lording it over everyone and old enough by 73-74 to truly hate them and their drunken fat cretinious supporters.

And who hasn't enjoyed watching their supporters suffer over the last three decades? I particularly like the those seasons when they show some grit and hardness during the H&A season win some close ones against good sides, thrash some bad sides then fall apart yet again in September. They are lots of fun.

bornadog
10-02-2017, 09:35 AM
I've never seen a replay of the game.

Enjoy (not full game):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YRtqtpWlcA

bulldogsthru&thru
10-02-2017, 01:18 PM
I was a fair way up the southern stand for the GF, but i'm tempted to sit in the same seat for Round 1. For good times sake :)

Bulldog4life
16-02-2017, 05:33 PM
Enjoy (not full game):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YRtqtpWlcA

Thanks BAD. Good memories. Was at the game too.