PDA

View Full Version : The Case for Zaine Cordy

GVGjr
11-02-2017, 10:40 AM
I thought it might be a good idea to look at some of the players that could work their way into our best 22 during the season.

First up - Zaine Cordy

While he finished the season in the premiership team he will have his work cut out for him to be an automatic selection this season especially with Stewart Crameri returning and the acquisition of Travis Cloke filling up the forward line.

The Pros:
Versatility - We know he has some solid defensive attributes given he was drafted as a defender but he did a good job up forward in the finals so he does provide us with that option. For the first 2 games of the finals he was used as a defensive forward pitted against WC McGovern and the Hawks Birchall. Kicked the first goal for us in the Grand Final.
Footy Smarts - He reads the play very well and as a defender he really understands how to fit into a backline set-up.
I think he is regarded as having a high footy IQ.
Competitive - I think he more than most hates getting beaten in a contest and is probably quite critical of his performances which is a great attribute for soemone to get the most our of their ability.

The Cons:
Skills - Definitely and area to work on as his kicking can be erratic at times.
Injuries - Shoulder and a thumb injuries hindered his development in 2015. Struggled with some niggling injuries in 2016 but didn't miss many games. Looks to be a lot stronger and ready for 2017.

Outlook:
He is probably in the mix as the 3rd tall defender although there is a fair bit of competition for that role.

Wildcard:
We are probably a ruckman light on with our list. Could Cordy expand a bit on the cameo he provided in the Preliminary Final where he help out Tom Boyd after Roughead went down?

I'd like to hear where you think Zaine Cordy is in relation to our best 22 this season? What does he need to improve on and how many games will he play?

westdog54
11-02-2017, 11:52 AM
When you watch some of the finals back, his field kicking is ordinary at best.

As he was lining up for his goal in the GF, there was a graphic that read that he is 3.0 from set shots.

Whilst trying not to be disrespectful, I'm pretty sure that those 3.0 came from more than 3 shots.

In saying that, I think the good far outweighs the bad. His tackle on Hanneberry has been replayed over and over, and if you watch Clay Smith's first goal in the prelim, you'll see that Zaine is able to knock the ball to advantage when outnumbered in a 2-on-1 marking contest.

I think having Zaine pinch-hit for 5-10 ruck contests a game, if it helps our structure elsewhere, couldn't be considered a bad thing.

GVGjr
11-02-2017, 12:31 PM
When you watch some of the finals back, his field kicking is ordinary at best.

As he was lining up for his goal in the GF, there was a graphic that read that he is 3.0 from set shots.

Whilst trying not to be disrespectful, I'm pretty sure that those 3.0 came from more than 3 shots.

In saying that, I think the good far outweighs the bad. His tackle on Hanneberry has been replayed over and over, and if you watch Clay Smith's first goal in the prelim, you'll see that Zaine is able to knock the ball to advantage when outnumbered in a 2-on-1 marking contest.

I think having Zaine pinch-hit for 5-10 ruck contests a game, if it helps our structure elsewhere, couldn't be considered a bad thing.

It could be a point of difference for him

I should have added to his pros that his tackling and physicality is pretty good as well

How many games do you think he might play for us?

Twodogs
11-02-2017, 01:58 PM

I should have added to his pros that his tackling and physicality is pretty good as well

Zaine genuinely enjoys hurting people and its a great quality to have. You could see the joy in his face as he slammed that Sydney player into the MCG turf in the first quarter That's a very rare quality and will win us many games and premierships in the future. I love Zaine because he will do anything to win.

1eyedog
11-02-2017, 02:36 PM
Good overview of an interesting player.

It's unlikely he'll play forward in 2017 which leaves a defensive post for him. I'm not sure how we squeeze in Adams, Wood, Murphy, Boyd, Morris, JJ, Biggs and Cordy into six spots. He'll get some game time as Moz will need a chop out from time to time and opposition teams may try to go tall on us but this is unlikely given how quickly we move the ball out of the back half. All of Biggs, Wood and Morris can play tall as well.

Can Cordy play on a wing? He's athletic, hard at the contest and good in the air and on the ground = highly versatile. I like him in the team but I like who he replaces too. Difficult decision for the MC.

westdog54
11-02-2017, 02:49 PM

Its hard to predict, it depends a great deal on whether Adams can keep himself fit and Collins' development.

15 is doable.

Go_Dogs
12-02-2017, 08:40 AM
I'm backing Zaine in to play 12 games.

Whilst Adams and Roberts start as our highest rated defenders, the versatility Zaine offers makes me think we will end up with an Adams and Cordy combination against quite a few sides. Cordy seems to have grown a little since he was first drafted, but I'm not sure how he'd go against a really big forward like Patton or one with some wheels like Franklin, so if we have a full list and everyone in form he may be a horses for courses selection.

GVGjr
12-02-2017, 08:53 AM
Good overview of an interesting player.

It's unlikely he'll play forward in 2017 which leaves a defensive post for him. I'm not sure how we squeeze in Adams, Wood, Murphy, Boyd, Morris, JJ, Biggs and Cordy into six spots. He'll get some game time as Moz will need a chop out from time to time and opposition teams may try to go tall on us but this is unlikely given how quickly we move the ball out of the back half. All of Biggs, Wood and Morris can play tall as well.

I'd also add Roberts as a player that could hold his spot from last year and we have Collins who might need another season and Williams who could be in the mix.

Can Cordy play on a wing? He's athletic, hard at the contest and good in the air and on the ground = highly versatile. I like him in the team but I like who he replaces too. Difficult decision for the MC.

I'm not sure he possess the type of athleticism required to play on a wing. He has to find a way to be picked as a defender.

josie
12-02-2017, 11:04 AM
Rewatching prelim quite a few times it struck me he just gets to right spots as a forward and had he held quite a few chest marks that bounced off he might have kicked a few more. I just love his mongrel streak and think his versatility forward/duck/defender and he might even be quick enough for a tall wingman will mean he might play more games than some suspect. Then again I was pretty early to board the Zaine Train of which BT was loco driver.

bulldogtragic
12-02-2017, 11:54 AM
Zaine could become our genuine swingman. He kicked 8.1 last year when playing forward, including clutch goals. So he can play forward in an attacking and defensive role. He can obviously play in defence as a third tall. I've always said he'll show his worth when he can add the attacking rebounding tall defender role he was a gun at as a junior. So he's got the ability to play four key roles. Bevo rates flexibility so I think Zaine will have an advantage coming to match committee meetings if he maintains good form.

There's a lot to like about Zaine, remembering he's only played 11 games. If he can do this in 11 games, including 4 cut throat finals then I'd suggest we need to get games into him ASAP. His skills are better than we've seen which may be him getting used to the speed at AFEL level. His chest marking isn't brilliant, but in defence that's much Le ss of an issue. So he can work on these parts of his game. Conversely, he has things that you can't really teach, in that he reads the play well, loves contested footy, loves getting into protect his team mates, tackles excellently and gets free kicks, hits the packs with aggression and hurts opponents (see Callan Ward), plus athletic, tall and has long arms/reach.

I'd say his first 11 games have been as good or better than most of our tall draftees in recent memory. So more games is a priority for him to keep raising his game. His strengths far outweigh his weaknesses, and his flexibility for playing multiple roles in any given game is an asset to Bevo during games. We don't have a genuine swingman, and the case can be made he's the closest player we have for a genuine swingman. 25 or 26 games this year.

Twodogs
12-02-2017, 12:23 PM
Agree with BT. Getting games into Zaine is going to be important this year.

1eyedog
12-02-2017, 01:37 PM
Zaine could become our genuine swingman. He kicked 8.1 last year when playing forward, including clutch goals. So he can play forward in an attacking and defensive role. He can obviously play in defence as a third tall. I've always said he'll show his worth when he can add the attacking rebounding tall defender role he was a gun at as a junior. So he's got the ability to play four key roles. Bevo rates flexibility so I think Zaine will have an advantage coming to match committee meetings if he maintains good form.

There's a lot to like about Zaine, remembering he's only played 11 games. If he can do this in 11 games, including 4 cut throat finals then I'd suggest we need to get games into him ASAP. His skills are better than we've seen which may be him getting used to the speed at AFEL level. His chest marking isn't brilliant, but in defence that's much Le ss of an issue. So he can work on these parts of his game. Conversely, he has things that you can't really teach, in that he reads the play well, loves contested footy, loves getting into protect his team mates, tackles excellently and gets free kicks, hits the packs with aggression and hurts opponents (see Callan Ward), plus athletic, tall and has long arms/reach.

I'd say his first 11 games have been as good or better than most of our tall draftees in recent memory. So more games is a priority for him to keep raising his game. His strengths far outweigh his weaknesses, and his flexibility for playing multiple roles in any given game is an asset to Bevo during games. We don't have a genuine swingman, and the case can be made he's the closest player we have for a genuine swingman. 25 or 26 games this year.

Would you play Zaine in front of Biggs, Dunkley, McLean and Smith because if Bob, Crameri, Cloke and Zaine all play round 1 that's a decision you'll have to make.

Webby
12-02-2017, 02:35 PM
Cordy will be a defender who can swing forward if/when required. Having said that, his defensive qualities on the forward line give him an edge. Depending on team balance and how it pans out, he's a handy, versatile member of the side. For that reason, I think he's best 22 - even if his position isn't immediately obvious.

He could be a difficult match up up forward, or able to exploit an opponent and give us great bounce across half back. I think it will depend on the opposition. He is reminiscent of a young Harry Taylor, for mine. Harry's probably been the best swing man in the game for five years, now.

Cordy does also have a little bit of spite and belligerence in him which will serve him well.

Twodogs
12-02-2017, 02:45 PM
Cordy will be a defender who can swing forward if/when required. Having said that, his defensive qualities on the forward line give him an edge. Depending on team balance and how it pans out, he's a handy, versatile member of the side. For that reason, I think he's best 22 - even if his position isn't immediately obvious.

He could be a difficult match up up forward, or able to exploit an opponent and give us great bounce across half back. I think it will depend on the opposition. He is reminiscent of a young Harry Taylor, for mine. Harry's probably been the best swing man in the game for five years, now.

Cordy does also have a little bit of spite and belligerence in him which will serve him well.

More beliligerence than spite I reckon. Spite denotes a degree of anger and visciousness in the act but I don't get that from Zaine's occasional act of violence. It's more a case of it just being business for him, a tough business but business all the same and no hard feelings. He's the player every great team needs. The one who will do what it takes to win.

bulldogtragic
12-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Would you play Zaine in front of Biggs, Dunkley, McLean and Smith because if Bob, Crameri, Cloke and Zaine all play round 1 that's a decision you'll have to make.

Possibly Dunkley to make way. Friday night against Collingwood is the game. I don't think Roberts can go with Moore so I'd play him on Jesse White (if he plays) or the American tall fella (if he plays) and Grundy if he rests forward. So it's Adams or Zaine on Moore. Morris shutting down the small/mid dangerous forwards (Sidebottom, Mayne etc). I'd like two options on more, so Adams & Zaine are my two. So I'd like Adams, Zaine & Morris with Roberts if they try to go tall. Adams & Zaine can play rebound footy so it's not like we are taking in too many slow immobile types. Wood & Bob given licence to attack, with runners rotating through the HBF too. If we have things in hand, Zaine can swing forward with a view to stretching their very inexperienced backline or shutting down their (attempting) intercepting marking defenders if they are impact the game. Zaine gives flexibility in defence if their talls are getting on top (we know Buckley likes playing numerous tall forwards), and the flexibility to go forward in an attacking or negating role within the game. Cloke & more so Crameri may need to blow out some cobwebs, so freeing them up to focus on attack and splitting their attention onto a negating role on Howe or back flankers might be advantageous. So I can see that Zaine in this particular game has a few scenarios in which he adds value. The question then is who misses out. Perhaps we can live without an extra inside mid like Dunkley. But with practice games to come, we will soon find out where everyone is. Who knows if we have other bolters coming out of pre seasons with Collins, English or other talls. So well soon see.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-02-2017, 09:24 PM
What i really like about Zaine is that in only a dozen games he's exhibited that he possesses that rarest and most valuable of trait of being able to step up on the biggest stage and not resile from the biggest and most important moments.
There were so many moments during the finals where he impacted a critical contest, or kicked an important goal.
I think he can play 12-15 games this year. More importantly, presuming we are still around deep into September again Bevo will have no doubt as to Zaine's bonafides inside the crucible that is finals footy.

1eyedog
13-02-2017, 10:22 AM
Possibly Dunkley to make way. Friday night against Collingwood is the game. I don't think Roberts can go with Moore so I'd play him on Jesse White (if he plays) or the American tall fella (if he plays) and Grundy if he rests forward. So it's Adams or Zaine on Moore. Morris shutting down the small/mid dangerous forwards (Sidebottom, Mayne etc). I'd like two options on more, so Adams & Zaine are my two. So I'd like Adams, Zaine & Morris with Roberts if they try to go tall. Adams & Zaine can play rebound footy so it's not like we are taking in too many slow immobile types. Wood & Bob given licence to attack, with runners rotating through the HBF too. If we have things in hand, Zaine can swing forward with a view to stretching their very inexperienced backline or shutting down their (attempting) intercepting marking defenders if they are impact the game. Zaine gives flexibility in defence if their talls are getting on top (we know Buckley likes playing numerous tall forwards), and the flexibility to go forward in an attacking or negating role within the game. Cloke & more so Crameri may need to blow out some cobwebs, so freeing them up to focus on attack and splitting their attention onto a negating role on Howe or back flankers might be advantageous. So I can see that Zaine in this particular game has a few scenarios in which he adds value. The question then is who misses out. Perhaps we can live without an extra inside mid like Dunkley. But with practice games to come, we will soon find out where everyone is. Who knows if we have other bolters coming out of pre seasons with Collins, English or other talls. So well soon see.

Yeah I think he offer the greatest flexibility of those listed; however Bevo has built prototype 'flexible' footballer hasn't he. McLean can play midfield / forward and so can Dunkley and Jong. If we need Cordy back it may even be Biggs who is up against it, but then we sacrifice run but this is an area we can cover in spades with Bob back.

For mine it will largely come down to preseason form, as it usually does leading into round 1. If he (or any or all of the players listed) have big preseasons it's going to be a tough decision making process. I think Cordy works his way into the team through a couple of early standout VFL performances, which he is perfectly capable of doing.We're going to find out in just over a month - couldn't come quick enough.

Mofra
13-02-2017, 10:46 AM
I'm a huge Zaine fan - some have knocked his kicking but I think he's actually a good kick under pressure which is the real test.

He does have a natural aggression which really helps him and if you watch his defensive work closely he has clearly worked with Morris a lot - he punches the ball as he uses his chest to hit the opponent which is how Morris is able to play on taller player.
I think he can be a genuine CHB for us - taller than Adams and genuinely aggressive and much quicker than Roberts as well so can play on the more mobile types.

Not sure if this is his year as he still fairly early in his development and long term I see him as a natural backman moreso than a 50/50 swingman but being able to pinch hit forward occasionally helps him too.
Being resigned to losing Adams at the end of the year and Morris is getting older Cordy is probably the only likely type able to play defence on the quicker opposition tall forwards on our list (2016 draftees excluded as we can't track their progress off half a pre-season).

Twodogs
13-02-2017, 11:30 AM
What Dradt was Zaine in? The same one as the Bont and Tom Boyd-2013 wasn't it?

bornadog
13-02-2017, 11:35 AM
What Dradt was Zaine in? The same one as the Bont and Tom Boyd-2013 wasn't it?

2014, selection 62

Played 2 games in 2015 then the last 9 games in 2016, 4 of them finals and is only 20 years old

Also now listed as 193cm, grown 2cm.

GVGjr
13-02-2017, 07:50 PM
2014, selection 62

Played 2 games in 2015 then the last 9 games in 2016, 4 of them finals and is only 20 years old

Also now listed as 193cm, grown 2cm.

I think he is taller than 193cm he might be pushing 195cm

merantau
16-02-2017, 09:24 AM
Zaine is a very good player. The problem now is that we have many good players. I love problems.

Mantis
16-02-2017, 09:59 AM
Zaine is a very good player. The problem now is that we have many good players. I love problems.

Dale Morris is a very good player, Luke Dahlhaus is a very good player, Tom Liberatore is a very good player.. Zaine Cordy isn't anywhere near that level.

Twodogs
16-02-2017, 10:24 AM
Dale Morris is a very good player, Luke Dahlhaus is a very good player, Tom Liberatore is a very good player.. Zaine Cordy isn't anywhere near that level.

He's a premiership centre half forward. It doesn't get much better than that.

bornadog
16-02-2017, 10:43 AM

Has along way to go with a lot of potential. With only 11 games under his belt, he is still to prove himself.

GVGjr
16-02-2017, 10:16 PM
He's a premiership centre half forward. It doesn't get much better than that.

You can't keep using that line to explain things :)

Twodogs
17-02-2017, 01:49 AM
You can't keep using that line to explain things :)

I guess my point is he was sent out in a GF to play an important job at CHF and did a pretty good job. He kicked two goals, took his opponent away from the play when required, contested hard when he got a chance and really tested a couple of their blokes with bone crunching tackles that neither emerged well from.

I'm sure that like me BT had Zaine pretty high up in his Norm Smith votes.

bulldogtragic
17-02-2017, 02:28 AM
I guess my point is he was sent out in a GF to play an important job at CHF and did a pretty good job. He kicked two goals, took his opponent away from the play when required, contested hard when he got a chance and really tested a couple of their blokes with bone crunching tackles that neither emerged well from.

High? The tall guy that got robbed was Zaine wasn't it? Huge tackles to start the game, hurt his opponents, set the tone, key touches too, first goal. Best on.

His potential is huge, but he's got a while before he reaches it because there's still a lot of growth in his potential ceiling. I think the safest description on where Zaine is at is that he's achieved a shitload of good things in just 11 games, including 4 cut throat finals. If you plot his graph to date, the trajectory is looking as good as I hoped. But he needs to keep improving.

Martin Love's last innings for Australia was a century, Voges still averages over 60 for Australia and Brad Hodge (despite a double century) couldn't maintain his position in an elite team at their peak. We know who the best player was of the three but above them was slow starting players who came back like Hayden, Langer & Martyn. Zaine's challenge is to be a very good player, in a very good team, for a very long time. That's a long journey to get such plaudits, but he's started very well. And I look forward to seeing his journey with great satisfaction, especially if I can legally adopt him without his or his family's knowledge.

Twodogs
17-02-2017, 02:37 AM
High? The tall guy that got robbed was Zaine wasn't it? Huge tackles to start the game, hurt his opponents, set the tone, key touches too, first goal. Best on.

His potential is huge, but he's got a while before he reaches it because there's still a lot of growth in his potential ceiling. I think the safest description on where Zaine is at is that he's achieved a shitload of good things in just 11 games, including 4 cut throat finals. If you plot his graph to date, the trajectory is looking as good as I hoped. But he needs to keep improving.

Martin Love's last innings for Australia was a century, Voges still averages over 60 for Australia and Brad Hodge (despite a double century) couldn't maintain his position in an elite team at their peak. We know who the best player was of the three but above them was slow starting players who came back like Hayden, Langer & Martyn. Zaine's challenge is to be a very good player, in a very good team, for a very long time. That's a long journey to get such plaudits, but he's started very well. And I look forward to seeing his journey with great satisfaction, especially if I can legally adopt him without his or his family's knowledge.

I think everything you said is possible. Except the adoption thing, the last thing. You're not Madonna.

Mantis
17-02-2017, 08:06 AM

He kicked one goal and laid 2 good tackles early on, but he was largely ineffective and was out pointed by his opponents who by and large kept Sydney in the game.

Twodogs
17-02-2017, 03:00 PM
He kicked one goal and laid 2 good tackles early on, but he was largely ineffective and was out pointed by his opponents who by and large kept Sydney in the game.

Hmmm. The only way I can see out of this imbroglio is sitting down and watching the Grand Final again.

No, no, don't try and talk me out of it, it just has to be done.

bornadog
17-02-2017, 04:19 PM
Hmmm. The only way I can see out of this imbroglio is sitting down and watching the Grand Final again.

No, no, don't try and talk me out of it, it just has to be done.

I must have watched it 30 plus times, (lost count). I better re watch again and focus on Cordy.:D

Twodogs
17-02-2017, 05:35 PM
I must have watched it 30 plus times, (lost count). I better re watch again and focus on Cordy.:D

Zaine watch. That first tackle is a mission statement.

bornadog
17-02-2017, 05:58 PM
Zaine watch. That first tackle is a mission statement.

My wife said he was very underrated in the whole finals series, considering he was 19 years old and playing his 8th game against West Coke.

bulldogtragic
17-02-2017, 06:13 PM
My wife said he was very underrated in the whole finals series, considering he was 19 years old and playing his 8th game against West Coke.

The game in which he embarssed the All Australian CHF so much that McGovern was forced into the ruck to get remotely near the footy?

boydogs
18-02-2017, 12:59 AM
BT needs to do a player involvements rundown for Zaine like he used to do for Jarrad Grant