PDA

View Full Version : JLT - Western Bulldogs vs Melbourne

GVGjr
12-02-2017, 08:51 PM
Less than a week away is our first opponent in the JLT series.

We've got a good test against us against Melbourne. They started their training a month before us and expectations on them are quite high. They also have a number of high end draft picks looking to impress plus there isn't too many on their injured list so they should be a very good test for us.

Which players can you see getting a go first up for us? Who is most likely to impress? Any surprise selections?

Hotdog60
12-02-2017, 10:39 PM
Most likely all the newbies will get a run. With some of the older guys it could be limited TOG.
What's the inter-change for the pre season stuff?

craigsahibee
13-02-2017, 10:02 AM
Most likely all the newbies will get a run. With some of the older guys it could be limited TOG.
What's the inter-change for the pre season stuff?

I think it's unlimited interchange in the JLT Series. However, I'm pretty sure Bevo capped our rotations in last years pre season series in line with the restrictions put in place for the home and away season though.

bornadog
16-02-2017, 01:21 PM
Squad

16 of the Bulldogs' 2016 premiership side have been named in the squad.

2 Robert Murphy
5 Matthew Boyd
6 Luke Dahlhaus
7 Lachlan Hunter
8 Stewrt Crameri
9 Jake Stringer
11 Jackson Macrae
12 Zaine Cordy
13 Travis Cloke
15 Tom Campbell
16 Toby Mclean
17 Tom Boyd
18 Fletcher Roberts
19 Lukas Webb
20 Josh Dunkley
21 Tom Liberatore
22 Mitch Honeychurch
23 Jordan Roughead
24 Shane Biggs
25 Marcus Adams
26 Declan Hamilton
31 Bailey Dale
32 Kieran Collins
35 Caleb Daniel
36 Brad Lynch
38 Dale Morris
39 Jason Johannisen
44 Tim English
46 Lin Jong

bulldogtragic
16-02-2017, 01:23 PM
Timmy!!!!!

Axe Man
16-02-2017, 01:33 PM
Surprised to see Bob and English. Great to have Crameri back.

So the players not in the squad are:
1 Suckling
3 Wallis
4 Bonti
10 Wood
14 Clay Smith
27 Lipinski
28 Prudden
29 Dickson
30 Greene
33 Young
34 Williams
37 Roarke Smith
40 Mullenger-Mchugh
42 Picken
43 Redpath
45 Tweedie

LostDoggy
16-02-2017, 01:43 PM
I am really looking forward to seeing Adams back out there.

craigsahibee
16-02-2017, 01:50 PM

Collins too. Our defensive unit of Murphy, Morris, M Boyd, Adams, Collins, JJ, Biggs, Suckling, Roberts & Cordy has a great balance of height, strength, run and flair. Great flexibility for opposing forward set-ups of various configurations.

Webb and Williams are the heirs to the Murphy & Boyd roles. Bailey Dale could see himself rotating through there at times also.

Gotta love a club with DEPTH.

Eastdog
16-02-2017, 01:54 PM
Collins too. Our defensive unit of Murphy, Morris, M Boyd, Adams, Collins, JJ, Biggs, Suckling, Roberts & Cordy has a great balance of height, strength, run and flair. Great flexibility for opposing forward set-ups of various configurations.

Webb and Williams are the heirs to the Murphy & Boyd roles. Bailey Dale could see himself rotating through there at times also.

Gotta love a club with DEPTH.

The depth in the forward line now looks good. Note we also have Redpath up there as well who will be back later in the year. He has a lot of competition now. Great to have Stewart back in there and I'm sure he is keen and ready to go.

Eastdog
16-02-2017, 01:56 PM
Is this thread going to also for the game day discussion GVGjr?

Eastdog
16-02-2017, 01:57 PM

Me to CBM. Injury was frustrating for him but in some of the games he played he was very affective.

bornadog
16-02-2017, 02:17 PM
In this thread going to also for the game day discussion GVGjr?

I think it should be, after all they are just practise matches

Mantis
16-02-2017, 02:43 PM
Pretty strong looking team, my guess at the 26:

B- Morris, Roberts, Boyd
HB - Murphy, Adams, JJ
C - Macrae, Jong, Hunter
HF - Crameri, Cloke, McLean
F - Stringer, Boyd, Dunkley
R - Roughead, Liberatore, Dahlhaus

Int - Cordy, Campbell, Webb, HC, Biggs, Dale, Lynch, English

Miss- Hamilton, Collins, Daniel (Most recent injury report had the last 2 a bit behind schedule)

Eastdog
16-02-2017, 04:45 PM

B- Morris, Roberts, Boyd
HB - Murphy, Adams, JJ
C - Macrae, Jong, Hunter

Miss- Hamilton, Collins, Daniel (Most recent injury report had the last 2 a bit behind schedule)

Yes it is a healthy looking team. Some really good inclusions in there with a lot of our premiership stars expected to play. Dunkley in the forward line - could he play more there this season or is he better suited more back. He can play in both areas.

Eastdog
16-02-2017, 04:48 PM
I think it should be, after all they are just practise matches

Agree BAD. All the duties for the particular threads for this season can be worked out a week out from the season.

Mantis
16-02-2017, 04:51 PM
Yes it is a healthy looking team. Some really good inclusions in there with a lot of our premiership stars expected to play. Dunkley in the forward line - could he play more there this season or is he better suited more back. He can play in both areas.

When has Dunkley played in defence?

I've only seen him play as forward & mid.

dukedog
16-02-2017, 05:25 PM
Yeh he played on franklin in the granny at full back. No wait that was hamling. Please explain Easty. Have you been drinking? . Hahaha.

Eastdog
16-02-2017, 05:35 PM
When has Dunkley played in defence?

I've only seen him play as forward & mid.

Yes you are right Mantis. I think I meant midfield. I'm not sure what I was saying there :)

Eastdog
16-02-2017, 05:39 PM
I must have been thinking of Roughy :) Forgive Easty :)

Eastdog
16-02-2017, 05:44 PM
Yeh he played on franklin in the granny at full back. No wait that was hamling. Please explain Easty. Have you been drinking? . Hahaha.

Probably just still celebrating hard the premiership win :)

dukedog
16-02-2017, 06:26 PM

Aint nothing wrong with that brother. I been doin the same haha

LostDoggy
16-02-2017, 09:05 PM

Aint nothing wrong with that brother. I been doin the same haha

Damn Straight ;)

I havn't stopped celebrating this win,never will and will celebrate all future Premiership Wins till the day they put me in a pine box and throw dirt on me.

GVGjr
16-02-2017, 10:26 PM
Is this thread going to also for the game day discussion GVGjr?

I think so

GVGjr
16-02-2017, 10:28 PM

B- Morris, Roberts, Boyd
HB - Murphy, Adams, JJ
C - Macrae, Jong, Hunter

Seems about right but I wonder if we have to take the punt on Hamilton maybe at the expense of Lynch

kruder
17-02-2017, 12:28 AM
Can anyone recall Fletcher Roberts ready to go this early on in a preseason? I think he played round 2 nab last year and was poor after another interrupted preseason then took more than half the year to find his feet.it will be interesting to see if he can cement a spot.

Bulldog Joe
17-02-2017, 07:58 AM
Seems about right but I wonder if we have to take the punt on Hamilton maybe at the expense of Lynch

Surely they need to give Hamilton a chance, or it makes no sense to have retained him.

Ozza
17-02-2017, 01:21 PM
No Bonti....well in that case I've got 3 tickets to sell !!!!!!!!

Twodogs
17-02-2017, 03:18 PM

You're not going to run Winx at the Werribee cup. Fine racecourse and historic lead in to the all the group one races over cup week. I may have been myself, I was certainly in Werribee one day when they ran it, we were in Werribee for the race and people "may have" seen us there, we just can't remember being at or seeing the race. But anyway, you're not going to run Winx in the Werribee cup.

bornadog
17-02-2017, 04:16 PM

I think rumours about a foot injury of some sort must be true.

bornadog
17-02-2017, 06:09 PM
Less than 1000 tickets left for tomorrow’s Whitten Oval double-header.

bornadog
17-02-2017, 06:11 PM
Dale Morris has withdrawn from WBulldogs’ squad for rd1 JLT Community Series match v Melbourne.
Patrick Lipinski comes into the squad.

bulldogtragic
17-02-2017, 06:14 PM
Dale Morris has withdrawn from WBulldogs’ squad for rd1 JLT Community Series match v Melbourne.
Patrick Lipinski comes into the squad.

We should get a good look at the inexperienced talls without Dale. Good test for the kids.

ledge
18-02-2017, 08:52 AM
I want to see Dale and Homeychurch do well , love them two and I don't want to lose either of them because they aren't getting games , they are both players who could be regulars and hold their own playing seniors.
Dale should be stepping up now.

Sedat
18-02-2017, 01:18 PM
I wish I could feign interest in tonight's game but my head is still firmly stuck on October 1.

This summer has gone far too quickly - funnily enough they used to drag on in previous years ;)

Hope the boys go well tonight and we have no injuries whatsoever.

GVGjr
18-02-2017, 03:00 PM
I'm the opposite of your views Sedat, I'm well past the excitement of the premiership and I'm very much looking for this years 'ride'

I'm also looking forward to this game against a team that should be a good test for us.

We'll see some youngsters trying to work their way into the senior selection mix, a couple of returning stars from injury and suspension plus a once dominate key forward from another club who has come to us for all the right reasons and is really wanting to work his way into our premiership side. If that can't get me focused on today's game and every game this season then nothing will.

I have high expectations on what we are capable of this year I don't want to give any bludger supporters from other sides the opportunity to say last year was a fluke.

Carn the Scray!

Twodogs
18-02-2017, 04:14 PM
I'm the opposite of your views Sedat, I'm well past the excitement of the premiership and I'm very much looking for this years 'ride'

I'm also looking forward to this game against a team that should be a good test for us.

We'll see some youngsters trying to work their way into the senior selection mix, a couple of returning stars from injury and suspension plus a once dominate key forward from another club who has come to us for all the right reasons and is really wanting to work his way into our premiership side. If that can't get me focused on today's game and every game this season then nothing will.

I have high expectations on what we are capable of this year I don't want to give any bludger supporters from other sides the opportunity to say last year was a fluke.

Carn the Scray!

Every game is super important. We have a premiership to defend. I'm looking forward to that first Murph swerve past an oncoming opponent. The one off back where he gathers the ball and stops and pivot then turns one way then the other, finds a tiny piece of space and hits a target 60 metres away.

bornadog
18-02-2017, 04:42 PM

Carn the Scray!

I am super excited about round 1, 24 March 2017, but can't get excited about a training run like this afternoon. Equally I hate losing games practise match or not, but I won't be worrying about it either.

The interest for me is the game plan, and how the younger kids will play.

GVGjr
18-02-2017, 04:54 PM
I am super excited about round 1, 24 March 2017, but can't get excited about a training run like this afternoon. Equally I hate losing games practise match or not, but I won't be worrying about it either.

The interest for me is the game plan, and how the younger kids will play.

With some players coming back and what we achieved last season to me this is much more than a training run. This whole emphasis that people use that implies anything less than a home and away game or a finals series is nothing more than a training run I don't think accurately reflects how serious it is for the players. Do you really think players Cloke, Crameri, Murphy, Jong and Webb see it as just another training session?

I know that you want us to win every game we play but this should be seen as a lot more than a training run.

Carn the Scray!

bulldogtragic
18-02-2017, 05:04 PM
I'm like Big Kev, prior to the heart attack that killed him. I'm excited.

Seeing Clokey for the first time in the tri colours, returning key players, an awesome looking forward line, last year's senior guys making claims for a round 1 spot, fringe players like Jong, Dale & Collins etc fighting for a round one spot and fresh meat in TIMMY! running around. The game and the result is irrelevant. But I've wanted footy for ages, and I've wanted to see the boys stride onto the field with Gold AFEL logos on our jumper. But if some players have outstanding performances, then WOOF is going to fire up again about our guess at the round 1 team as well as trading and drafting from 2016.

Bulldog Revolution
18-02-2017, 05:15 PM
It wasn't until today that I've flicked on to season 2017 and I prepared by re-watching the prelim and GF this morning

There is still so much upside in so many on the list and in the way we play - if we can play with the same energy/effort and willingness to work for each other, then its going to be an exciting 2017

The Adelaide Connection
18-02-2017, 05:16 PM
English, Lipinski, Collins, and M. Boyd out. Apparently Boyd was less than an hour from the game and they chose not to replace him (so we are one short).

bulldogtragic
18-02-2017, 05:17 PM
English, Lipinski, Collins, and M. Boyd out. Apparently Boyd was less than an hour from the game and they chose not to replace him (so we are one short).

Bugger. I was really looking forward to seeing English & Collins.

always right
18-02-2017, 05:35 PM
Looks like a poor crowd.

GVGjr
18-02-2017, 05:46 PM
Not a great crowd but good to have Travis Cloke take a mark and goal.

GVGjr
18-02-2017, 05:49 PM
Our quick handballs are under a lot of scrutiny

Webby
18-02-2017, 06:06 PM
Couldn't make the game due to bout of gastro, so having to endure Russell, Healy and King's commentary. Absolutely gushing about Melbourne... Despite the roaring 4 goal wind they're kicking with.

comrade
18-02-2017, 06:06 PM
This commentary team is diabolical. The umpiring might be worse.

cinder
18-02-2017, 06:08 PM
Did Roughy just do a knee???

bulldogtragic
18-02-2017, 06:09 PM
This commentary team is diabolical. The umpiring might be worse.

We are clearly in the gun this year from the umpires if that quarter is anything to go by.

SlimPickens
18-02-2017, 06:09 PM
Did Roughy just do a knee???

Looked like a PCL injury to me.

Webby
18-02-2017, 06:11 PM
The free kick for the opening goal to Petracca was staggeringly charitable... 6-0 down. And kicking with a Gail force wind, they're, what? 12 points up?!

Spare me, Fox! Anyone'd think its cash for comment from the MFC Membership division.

cinder
18-02-2017, 06:14 PM
Looked like a PCL injury to me.

Hopefully he'll be ok

Webby
18-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Marcus Adams looks extremely rusty.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-02-2017, 06:27 PM
Collectively we look like we're a few weeks short of a run.

jeemak
18-02-2017, 06:30 PM
I should probably temper the frustration I'm feeling from being in the US and not able to get my live streaming up and running?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-02-2017, 06:35 PM
Shaking off the cobwebs now.
Melbourne are basically full strength and we're missing many of our best team, and yet we're less than 2 goal afrift now as half time approaches.

GVGjr
18-02-2017, 06:38 PM
Marcus Adams looks extremely rusty.

I was thinking the same. From memory he didn't set the world on fire early on last year. He's coming off a shoulder operation isn't he?

GVGjr
18-02-2017, 06:38 PM
I hope Roughead is OK. I really liked the goal to Lynch.

aker39
18-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Looks like a poor crowd.

Main game doesn't start for 2 hours:)

comrade
18-02-2017, 06:42 PM
Cordy has looked rusty, as has Crameri (understandable).

Hunter, Cloke, Dahl, Libba been very good and I'm rapt with Murph's game so far. Looks like McLean and Stringer will be used further up the ground.

Pretty lacklustre game though to be honest. Lots of miskick and fumbles.

bulldogtragic
18-02-2017, 06:46 PM
If Cloke had better delivery he'd have 5 by half time. Such a great looking forwardline to kick to, with Dicko and perhaps Smith to add into it. If we can get forward 50 delivery right, we are going to heavily score this year.

I also like Cloke physicality. He's taken down a few guys with big hits.

Drunken Bum
18-02-2017, 06:47 PM
I should probably temper the frustration I'm feeling from being in the US and not able to get my live streaming up and running?

tried to send PM but messages are full

Webby
18-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Is anyone notable missing from Melbourne's side?

Because I'm just counting Morris, Picken, Boyd, Wood & Bontempelli.... Yet Fox's commentators have been wetting their pants over Melbourne.

boydogs
18-02-2017, 06:54 PM
Our defense is well down, they're getting far too much ball in space around half forward

Campbell might get a run early in the season now with Roughead in trouble

bulldogtragic
18-02-2017, 06:56 PM

Because I'm just counting Morris, Picken, Boyd, Wood & Bontempelli.... Yet Fox's commentators have been wetting their pants over Melbourne.

Dickson, Clay Smith, Suckling, Wallis and others too.

chef
18-02-2017, 06:59 PM
We looked very rusty until the last half of the second quarter. Just a practice game so the result doesnt matter so hope we keep experimenting.

Webby
18-02-2017, 07:00 PM
Dickson, Clay Smith, Suckling, Wallis and others too.

So that's 10 out of what's our probable best 22 out of the side...

... Do Melbourne have a single one of theirs missing?

Twodogs
18-02-2017, 07:14 PM
If Cloke had better delivery he'd have 5 by half time. Such a great looking forwardline to kick to, with Dicko and perhaps Smith to add into it. If we can get forward 50 delivery right, we are going to heavily score this year.

I also like Cloke physicality. He's taken down a few guys with big hits.

Eddie would have to be thinking "if that really is Travis Cloke then Bucks really does have no idea what he's doing."

Webby
18-02-2017, 07:19 PM
Eddie would have to be thinking "if that really is Travis Cloke then Bucks really does have no idea what he's doing."

And "If that's how poor of a coach Buckley is, then I mustn't know what I'm doing."

.... which will never happen. Simply not how Eddie rolls!

chef
18-02-2017, 07:21 PM
Below the knee contact is the worst rule ever brought in.

comrade
18-02-2017, 07:28 PM
Is there a bigger panic merchant than Adams in our squad? Absolutely hates any sort of pressure.

Pickenitup
18-02-2017, 07:30 PM
Interesting to see Joel hamling in the crowd

bulldogtragic
18-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Man I wish we'd hit Cloke more today, but 2 goals, a goal assist and shepherd for Magic's mark and goal is a great start. He gets to great areas, but we've burned him a little. But there's a lot to like, leaving aside Declan Hamilton was pick 39, Cloke was pick 72 to Collingwood and both are on similar wages.

comrade
18-02-2017, 07:47 PM
This has been pretty crap to watch.

bulldogtragic
18-02-2017, 08:00 PM
This has been pretty crap to watch.

If people are investing in Melbourne on that, then going to lose their investment. To think we could've won that?!?

chef
18-02-2017, 08:03 PM
Entertaining fìnish. Great to have the footy back.

Bulldog4life
18-02-2017, 08:08 PM
Hard to see any of the fringe players forcing their way in on today's form. Easy to see that Melbourne were more advanced than us. Clokey very impressive.

always right
18-02-2017, 08:36 PM
Good to see Bob back but his kicking was very rusty....understandably.
Dahlhaus doesn't know the difference between the main season and pre season. Jet.
Cloke had a great presence.
Crameri improved as the game progressed.
We got caught out the back a lot.....our first picked defence would not have allowed that.
None of the fringe players impressed although Dale did not some nice work.
Hope Roughy's injury is only minor. His importance is under rated.

bornadog
18-02-2017, 08:40 PM
Hard to see any of the fringe players forcing their way in on today's form. Easy to see that Melbourne were more advanced than us. Clokey very impressive.

Melbourne were close to full strength.

merantau
18-02-2017, 09:01 PM
I saw Roughie go down on the news. Looked very bad. Great way for us to start the season given how well we responded to last season's injury crisis. I'm ecstatic.

Twodogs
18-02-2017, 09:09 PM
Melbourne were close to full strength.

And have been training a month or so longer than us.

divvydan

Missing from Melbourne's likely best 22 were Tyson, Hibberd, Watts and Jetta.

bulldogtragic
I saw Roughie go down on the news. Looked very bad. Great way for us to start the season given how well we responded to last season's injury crisis. I'm ecstatic.

He came out after half time and sat on the bench. He didn't look overly worried.

bulldogtragic
18-02-2017, 09:19 PM

True, but I think Webby is saying that those four Dee's players make them better. But that Bonts, Wood, Picken, Boyd, Morris, Dickson, Smith, Suckling (& Wallis) make us much, much, much better. I agree that their full strength vs our full strength H&A team aren't even close in a comparison to the point where Healy was saying Dee's could finish 4th this year. But as most commentary teams (or their producers) do now, they pick a story/viewpoint and push it all game. Especially during televised praccy matches to make things seem interesting. But the narrative was a bit heavy when a team playing shit nearly won it after being close all day, and the comments were them potentially finishing "4th or 5th"...

LostDoggy
18-02-2017, 09:23 PM

When we turned the pressure valve up to 10 in the 3rd Qtr for about 8 minutes we kicked 4 unanswered goals.
Almost half of our best 22 out,Dees just about at full strength and playing like 4pts were up for grabs.
Good to see the boys just blowing the cobwebs out.
Anyone have a crowd figure?

merantau
18-02-2017, 09:31 PM
He came out after half time and sat on the bench. He didn't look overly worried.

I am so glad to hear that. He has become a very good player for us. My actual reaction when I saw him go down was: "Oh Chhrrristttt!!! Not another season ending knee!"

bulldogtragic
18-02-2017, 10:11 PM
I couldn't tell from the TV, so if anyone at the ground can tell me/us: Did we heavily rotate Hamilton, Jong, Dunkley, Webb, Dale & Honeychurch?

I don't recall them doing too much (Dale goaled), and their stats were low. So I can't work out if we were heavily rotating them, whether they were down or something else?

Thanks in advance.

divvydan
18-02-2017, 10:15 PM
I couldn't tell from the TV, so if anyone at the ground can tell me/us: Did we heavily rotate Hamilton, Jong, Dunkley, Webb, Dale & Honeychurch?

I don't recall them doing too much (Dale goaled), and their stats were low. So I can't work out if we were heavily rotating them, whether they were down or something else?

Thanks in advance.

Time on ground (TOG) % for each:

Hamilton - 33%
Jong - 80%
Dunkley - 68%
Webb - 65%
Dale - 55%
Honeychurch - 37%

Eastdog
18-02-2017, 10:29 PM
Went to the Whitten Oval today (last time there for me was at the greatest premiership party that was ever had) along with my Mum who is a Demons supporter.

Disappointed we didn't win but at the end of the day it is a just a pre season match so I'm not too worried as we still are the premiers :) A few players who I thought were contributing well were Cloke, Crameri, Dahlhaus, Hunter, JJ, Caleb, Libba. Hard to say still as its the first hit out of the year and wasn't watching probably as closely as I do when the "real stuff" is on.

Plan on going to the fan day next week if the weather is good.

Eastdog
18-02-2017, 10:31 PM
Entertaining fìnish. Great to have the footy back.

It is certainly is great to have it back.

Webby
18-02-2017, 10:35 PM
Roughie clearly copped a stinger when his knee clunked into Gawn's at the ruck contest.
No twist, no jar, it wasn't done upon jumping nor landing. In fact he landed on the other leg and his take off was text book.

It was, to my eye with a dozen replays, just a painful knock. He'll be fine.

I remember an intra club I watched early last year or the previous where he looked like he'd done a serious injury, but was fine. He often looks like he's mortally wounded, our Roughie!

Eastdog
18-02-2017, 10:38 PM
Roughie clearly copped a stinger when his knee clunked into Gawn's at the ruck contest.
No twist, no jar, it wasn't done upon jumping nor landing. In fact he landed on the other leg and his take off was text book.

It was, to my eye with a dozen replays, just a painful knock. He'll be fine.

I remember an intra club I watched early last year or the previous where he looked like he'd done a serious injury, but was fine. He often looks like he's mortally wounded, our Roughie!

Yes I was a bit worried there watching at the ground but as you sat Webby I think he will be ok. Good that there was no other major injuries. We need to get through the pre season with a clean bill of health.

Eastdog
18-02-2017, 10:38 PM

Yes I so agree B4L. Clokey went about it really well.

Eastdog
18-02-2017, 10:40 PM
Had a good feed also at WO today getting some popcorn chicken and chips :)

always right
18-02-2017, 10:41 PM
Time on ground (TOG) % for each:

Hamilton - 33%
Jong - 80%
Dunkley - 68%
Webb - 65%
Dale - 55%
Honeychurch - 37%

Of those who spent most time on the ground;
Jong was quiet but had a strong last quarter with some great linking handball.
Hardly noticed Dunkley. He will need to improve as Crameri has to come in for someone.
Webb struggled to get into the game. He strikes me as someone who doesn't have a lot of tricks which is a problem as he isn't quick.
Dale doesn't get a lot of the ball but he's a lovely finisher and has some X factor.

Remi Moses
18-02-2017, 11:13 PM
We looked very rusty . Disappointing roughy going down, but hopefully not serious .
Thought Cloke was the big positive , he looks very keen to prove a point .
Thought Jong was disappointing, and Adams improved after a dodgy start .
Lynch is impressive, and if he's defensive side has improved , he'll get games .
Melbourne looked a lot sharper ( as they should) I reckon the top liners don't go 100% in these games.

bulldogtragic
18-02-2017, 11:18 PM
The media are running with how impressive Cloke was, and also how happy he looked throughout the game, on the bench smiling and banter with his new team mates and staff. Amazing what a supportive environment and coach can do for a player.

Twodogs
18-02-2017, 11:25 PM
The media are running with how impressive Cloke was, and also how happy he looked throughout the game, on the bench smiling and banter with his new team mates and staff. Amazing what a supportive environment and coach can do for a player.

One thing that worried me about recruiting Clokey. They used to say that you weren't washed up as a full forward until you'd found your way to Footscray.

Nice to see that doesn't seem to be the case. He looked twice the player he has looked over the last two or three years or however long it is since Buckley took over.

Thanks 'pies.

SonofScray
18-02-2017, 11:43 PM
So-so, leaning towards the less impressive side of the equation for that hit out. Signs of the run and dash and dare, the intense tackling etc came in and out of the game. It felt like Melbourne brought a more invested squad into the contest than we did, but 5 mins of our best could undo most of the damage.

Happy with Cloke first up.

bornadog
18-02-2017, 11:52 PM
So-so, leaning towards the less impressive side of the equation for that hit out. Signs of the run and dash and dare, the intense tackling etc came in and out of the game. It felt like Melbourne brought a more invested squad into the contest than we did, but 5 mins of our best could undo most of the damage.

Happy with Cloke first up.

We played Melbourne last year in the preseason match and they looked better than us with a similar result. At the end of the day, just a practise game. We will be better for the hitout.

Bulldog4life
19-02-2017, 12:29 AM
And have been training a month or so longer than us.

That is what I meant.

ratsmac
19-02-2017, 12:31 AM
I don't care for the result in practice matches. It was a decent hit out against an improving team. I liked the way Cloke split a few packs. He looks comfortable in the RWB. It was great to see Bob running around out there. We didn't see that nimble change of direction he's known for but it will come. Crameri will be better for the run. He got better as the game wore on. I hope Roughy is OK.

We lost to Melbourne last year in the pre-season and ended up premiers. Don't change a single thing

FrediKanoute
19-02-2017, 01:05 AM
Caught the last 40 mins of the game. Looked scrappy (from both sides) with lots of bodies around the contest. At times it resembled a rolling maul. Dee's looked sharper and we lacked the ability to really exert pressure on their ball carrier. Going to be a slow start to the year for our guys, but with the quality we have to come back we should be ok.

GVGjr
19-02-2017, 09:08 AM
Disappointing result last night and there weren't as many positives that I was hoping for.

Many of the players on the fringe of senior selection didn't perform to expectations. Webb, Dunkley, Jong and Dale didn't do enough. Honeychurch and Hamilton didn't get a lot of time. Crameri, Murphy and Adams will be better for the run.

Dahlhaus was the standout and Cloke did better than many of us might have thought. The high possession regulars like Hunter, Daniel and Liberatore didn't disappoint. I'm not sure what to make of Jake Stringer at the moment. He looks good at times but is missing the easy things.

Rougheads injury is a concern and really exposes our lack of depth in the ruck.

Melbourne have plenty of midfield depth now but might lack a bit of quality and of course Hogan could be a great key forward. They'll test a few teams this year.

always right
19-02-2017, 11:26 AM
We were murdered at centre bounces...Viney is a wrecking ball. Campbell competed well but gave us nothing around the ground.

Sedat
19-02-2017, 12:14 PM
Didn't watch the game but it is not surprising that Melbourne are more advanced than us in terms of pre-season training seeing as they commenced 5 weeks before we did.

Mantis
19-02-2017, 12:52 PM
Only saw bits and pieces, but felt Melbourne got a lot of 'easy' goals from poor defending.. Having no Morris, Wood and Boyd doesn't help in this area.

2.10 in the last quarter wasn't ideal.. Lots of good play, but a few bits where we didn't finish off our work... But that will come.

Hopefully Roughy isn't too bad, not sold at all on Campbell as our no1 ruck.

Melbourne were pretty much at full strength so the result wasn't unexpected, but when we turned the heat up in fits and starts we looked the much better side.. Looking forward to seeing the young guys get a good go at it in a few weeks time.

Torpedo
19-02-2017, 07:39 PM
Any news about Bailey Williams? Not selected in the playing list at all - where is he at this pre season? Am hoping he really comes on this year. He looks to me to be a very talented prospect.

lemmon
20-02-2017, 11:26 AM
Was it Adams or Roberts on Hogan for the most?

Ozza
20-02-2017, 12:21 PM
Was it Adams or Roberts on Hogan for the most?

Adams.

Ozza
20-02-2017, 12:31 PM
I went along. Hard to get excited about a pre-season game, coming off the end of last year!

Dahlhaus, JJ, Libba and Cloke all played well. Hard to judge players though given that playing % time were all over the place. Add to that, that it was very windy (as always) at the ground, which affected the standard. Will be interesting to see what the outcome is for Roughy. TC is looking a strong chance to be no.1 ruck for round 1.

Credit where due to those responsible for setting up the ground. Was done a lot better than in the past, with food/beverage & toilets not being too long a wait (exception being for coffee - with only one coffee machine - the coffee line was out of control).

Mofra
21-02-2017, 11:47 AM
One thing that worried me about recruiting Clokey. They used to say that you weren't washed up as a full forward until you'd found your way to Footscray.
We had a long list - but I like to think Hall broke that tradition. Was good for a couple of years for us, while Cloke cost virtually nothing and is playing for unders.

Hopefully Redders recovers in that time and we can find a young KPF in this years' draft to start to develop.

Twodogs
21-02-2017, 03:38 PM
We had a long list - but I like to think Hall broke that tradition. Was good for a couple of years for us, while Cloke cost virtually nothing and is playing for unders.

Hopefully Redders recovers in that time and we can find a young KPF in this years' draft to start to develop.

Man. I was counting them off in my head trying desperately to think of a counter argument to Jako and Cook and all the rest of the fattening full forward brigade. Forgot all about BBB-he kicked 80 odd one year didn't he? I guess that Richard Osborne wasn't a bust either but not really a tradional full forward.

Mofra
21-02-2017, 03:49 PM
Man. I was counting them off in my head trying desperately to think of a counter argument to Jako and Cook and all the rest of the fattening full forward brigade. Forgot all about BBB-he kicked 80 odd one year didn't he? I guess that Richard Osborne wasn't a bust either but not really a tradional full forward.
I thought Simon Minton-Connell had his moments with us too, when he wasn't sharing the FF spot.
Still never saw him mark above his head.

Does Chops Rickman count? Played VFA before coming to the Bulldogs didn't he?

bornadog
21-02-2017, 04:29 PM
I thought Simon Minton-Connell had his moments with us too, when he wasn't sharing the FF spot.

Left us and then went to Willi. Only played 11 games for us - would you believe.

Twodogs
21-02-2017, 04:44 PM

Came to us from Preston from memory. But he was only 18 or 19 so I don't even know if he played seniors there.

Bulldog4life
21-02-2017, 05:44 PM
Left us and then went to Willi. Only played 11 games for us - would you believe.

Chops kicked 6 goals against North at Arden st. in one of those games too.

Bulldog4life
21-02-2017, 05:45 PM

Twodogs
21-02-2017, 10:39 PM

1984. The last time we played the cow *!*!*!*!ers at Arden street after 100 years of continuous competition there. Chops played on Keith Greig all day but I thought he kicked 7. I might be wrong. We had a big win. Maybe chops kicked 6 and we won by 7.

bornadog
21-02-2017, 11:30 PM
1984. The last time we played the cow *!*!*!*!ers at Arden street after 100 years of continuous competition there. Chops played on Keith Greig all day but I thought he kicked 7. I might be wrong. We had a big win. Maybe chops kicked 6 and we won by 7.

He did kick 6 that day and only 10 overall in his 11 games

It feels as if Chops played a lot more games, but then again my memory is not that good.

Mofra
22-02-2017, 11:35 AM
This is why Woof is great. Learn something new every time I vaguely remember a player and mention their name.

bornadog
22-02-2017, 04:59 PM