PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs: Against All Odds - Open Mike - March 21 2017

bornadog
21-02-2017, 11:35 AM
Can't wait for this one. Here is a teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_QInufzgPI&feature=share

Topdog
21-02-2017, 02:23 PM
yeah saw an ad for that a couple of weeks ago. Really looking forward to it

Twodogs
21-02-2017, 04:07 PM
That's not fair making us wait a month. It must breach the telecommuntions act. We should object to the ombudsman.

Eastdog
21-02-2017, 06:00 PM
Should be great viewing just before the season starts.

bornadog
21-03-2017, 04:51 PM
Tonight

Eastdog
21-03-2017, 05:59 PM
Tonight

I'm looking forward to it.

Eastdog
21-03-2017, 09:26 PM
Im about to watch it of Fox Footy through Foxtel Go.

Eastdog
21-03-2017, 09:38 PM
What an intro. Great to hear from Peter and current Maribyrnong mayor Catherine Cumming speak and images of Footscray from the olden days. Alan Johnstone now speaking.

chef
21-03-2017, 10:37 PM
Was very good.

Eastdog
21-03-2017, 10:49 PM
Was very good.

Yeah I liked it.

Sedat
22-03-2017, 12:26 AM
Roughy's mark

The tackle

Biggsy

Scraggers
22-03-2017, 01:30 AM
Ross Oakley ???? Really ????

Twodogs
22-03-2017, 07:21 AM

Fair enough I guess. We did cost him his job after all

KT31
22-03-2017, 07:59 AM
Is there a stream available, was flat out last night with work and couldn't watch it ?

ledge
22-03-2017, 09:33 AM
Found it wierd Sheahan managed to make himself part of the story and it had no significance whatsoever, he isn't Even a dogs supporter , conveniently left that out.
Good to see a few 54 players were still around to see 2016.
Surprised Irene wasn't on it she is still around the club everytime I'm there so it's not like she is hard to find.

Twodogs
22-03-2017, 09:37 AM
Found it wierd Sheahan managed to make himself part of the story and it had no significance whatsoever, he isn't Even a dogs supporter , conveniently left that out.
Surprised Irene wasn't on it she is still around the club everytime I'm there so it's not like she is hard to find.

Did Mike finally admit that he comes from the Western Suburbs did he?

bornadog
22-03-2017, 10:24 AM
Did Mike finally admit that he comes from the Western Suburbs did he?

Yes he did.

Mike's hero growing up was the 1961 Grandfinal Fullback Bernie Lee. Mike kept a scrap book of articles on Bernie and eventually gave it to him. Bernie was also on the programme. My wife said, Is Mike a Doggies supporter. That is how it came across.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-03-2017, 10:44 AM

Although not a Bulldogs supporter, Mike has had a very close relationship with Bernie Lee and his family as well as being a current WB Hall of Fame selector. I thought the program was brilliant and a must see for all Bulldog fans. The quality of current players in particular Dale Morris Matthew and Tom Boyd was riveting television as was the interview with '54 Premiership member Jim Gallagher and '61 Grand final player Bernie Lee. The segment involving Gordon ,Smorgon and Ross Oakley being interviewed by Mike Sheahan in the WB board room was another highlight as was the interview with an emotional number one member Alan Johnstone of Penfold Holden Mazda fame and to hear of our debt plunging from 12 million to only 2 million dollars is a great reflection of what success can bring.It was a pity that Irene Chatfield wasn't included together with Club legend John Schultz but apart from this it was hard to fault such a fine production not forgetting the visit by Luke Beveridge back to St. Bedes, Mentone, and to hear the enormous respect for our current Coach, from former players, who had been members of the 3 flags, in A,B,C grade in successive years.

cinder
22-03-2017, 10:51 AM
Also less than impressed with Mick Malthouse, he never lets an opportunity go to bag the club or make the club look sub-standard, felt he did that again last night. Nothing positive to say, including in the GF call at the end when Toby McLean was paid the head high tackle, his comment was 'what a surprise' - no sense of the moment at hand.

:/

Murphy'sLore
22-03-2017, 11:00 AM
Interesting that there was no sighting of Bob Murphy -- wonder if he has also felt that perhaps people had seen enough of him? It wouldn't surprise me.

Wonderful to see the reflections of Dale Morris, Tom Boyd and the other players, such joy and quiet satisfaction. Tom Boyd has such a mature attitude, it was interesting to hear Peter Gordon say that he hadn't foreseen the amount of vitriol that would be directed at Tom personally, he was expecting to cop some flak himself over the deal but was shocked when Tom was attacked too. That was naive of him I guess, but seriously, that young man had to deal with a lot of pressure and handled it magnificently. So happy to see him answer all the criticism in the best possible way, on the best possible day! I don't care if he never kicks another goal or takes another mark in his life -- he has earned every cent.

chef
22-03-2017, 11:02 AM

I liked that. Loved Gordo admitting the Up Yours Oakley slogan was his idea too.

bornadog
22-03-2017, 11:09 AM
Also less than impressed with Mick Malthouse, he never lets an opportunity go to bag the club or make the club look sub-standard, felt he did that again last night. Nothing positive to say, including in the GF call at the end when Toby McLean was paid the head high tackle, his comment was 'what a surprise' - no sense of the moment at hand.

I was also disappointed in the way he spoke. Surely after giving him his start as a coach he would be more grateful.

bornadog
22-03-2017, 11:10 AM
I liked that. Loved Gordo admitting the Up Yours Oakley slogan was his idea too.

I still have my stickers.

Axe Man
22-03-2017, 11:13 AM

Not really sure why Mick was included, he didn't have anything to do with the flag. I guess Mike was just trying to paint a picture of how much we were struggling in the 80s leading up to the almost merger. Rodney Eade or Brendan McCartney would have been more relevant as they actually coached some of the premiership players.

The Pie Man
22-03-2017, 11:19 AM
Definitely pressed keep on the IQ, but it was good rather than great.

Mike interviews very well, but he's an ordinary narrator - he's been a print journalist for most of his life, so clearly not a strength.

Some of the segments early on didn't add a lot to the story - while others (like the St Bedes footage) were unexpected and terrific.

The midfield changes pre HT/HT spoken about were gold, as were the focus on Roughead's mark (curse breaking) and Biggs' last quarter efforts (except for cutting it before Picken's goal)

cinder
22-03-2017, 11:21 AM
Not really sure why Mick was included, he didn't have anything to do with the flag. I guess Mike was just trying to paint a picture of how much we were struggling in the 80s leading up to the almost merger. Rodney Eade or Brendan McCartney would have been more relevant as they actually coached some of the premiership players.

Exactly. No problem with the painting the picture of how it was back in the 80s/90s but at least mention what's happened in the last 8 months (longer actually) and the fact it's all turned around in a big way.

I was also disappointed in the way he spoke. Surely after giving him his start as a coach he would be more grateful.

He's never been grateful I don't think. Just pi**ed off to WCE at the first opportunity and basically when the club was on its knees.

Bulldog4life
22-03-2017, 01:17 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of it. Disappointed in Mick Malthouse as well. When Mike asked him did he get anything out of the doggies winning the flag, or words to that effect, he dodged the question and never answered it.

Twodogs
22-03-2017, 01:56 PM
Malthouse was at the club for 5 or 6 years and finished up 28 years ago. Not really sure what he had to contribute that Terry Wheeler or Terry Wallace couldn't have said.

I worked a couple of years in a sheep tannery in the mid 80s but I would be the last person you'd ask to give a glowing testimony, or even an accurate one, of the sheep skin industry.

Templeton31
22-03-2017, 02:24 PM
I thought it was great. some of the stuff (e.g. the AFL season launch) I've found a bit over the top but thought Mike's interviewing and the responses he got were really genuine. A keeper on my IQ too.

Sedat
22-03-2017, 03:18 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of it. Disappointed in Mick Malthouse as well. When Mike asked him did he get anything out of the doggies winning the flag, or words to that effect, he dodged the question and never answered it.
Agreed. Malthouse gets nothing out of footy that doesn't benefit Malthouse. His segment was a complete waste of bandwidth.

Good point TD on Wheels. He would have been a fantastic interview subject given our history - he could have touched on the influence of Ron James on the playing group in 1990 and also the resurgence of our team in the early 90's. Maybe he and Peter Gordon aren't on speaking terms? Plough's era was primarily touched on by Johnno, Granty and Bubba.

Ross Oakley being there was pure theatre and no substance - he should have been questioned on the massive growth corridor in the west that hindsight suggests he massively underestimated in the desire for club rationalisation. Dogs and Saints potentially merging was an interesting aside.

bornadog
22-03-2017, 03:56 PM
Dogs and Saints potentially merging was an interesting aside.

I thought this was the most stupid thing I heard. How the hell does merging a Western Suburb side with a South Eastern suburb side make sense. The AFL never fails to amuse me.

Twodogs
22-03-2017, 04:12 PM
Agreed. Malthouse gets nothing out of footy that doesn't benefit Malthouse. His segment was a complete waste of bandwidth.

Good point TD on Wheels. He would have been a fantastic interview subject given our history - he could have touched on the influence of Ron James on the playing group in 1990 and also the resurgence of our team in the early 90's. Maybe he and Peter Gordon aren't on speaking terms? Plough's era was primarily touched on by Johnno, Granty and Bubba.

Ross Oakley being there was pure theatre and no substance - he should have been questioned on the massive growth corridor in the west that hindsight suggests he massively underestimated in the desire for club rationalisation. Dogs and Saints potentially merging was an interesting aside.

You might be right about Gordon and Wheeler not being on good terms (I have no idea whether they have made up but I have heard Gordon say recently that if he had that time again he would have made a different decision) but I think Wheeler is the sort of bloke who would put club first and foremost over any disagreement he was having with someone in it. They probably didn't think to ask him or Wheels is contracted to someone else maybe?

Axe Man
22-03-2017, 04:58 PM
I thought this was the most stupid thing I heard. How the hell does merging a Western Suburb side with a South Eastern suburb side make sense. The AFL never fails to amuse me.

Was it Smorgo or Gordon that said it was a logical merger? Their definition of logical differs somewhat from mine!

bornadog
22-03-2017, 05:02 PM
Was it Smorgo or Gordon that said it was a logical merger? Their definition of logical differs somewhat from mine!

Smorgo.

Yes thank you, I couldn't remember the words used - LOGICAL - wow.

Remi Moses
22-03-2017, 05:04 PM
Enjoyed the show , but gotta say was surprised neither Wallace nor Wheeler or even Rocket got those questions mick got.

G-Mo77
22-03-2017, 05:25 PM
I've got my copy and will be watching it tonight. Should I get the tissue box out?

always right
22-03-2017, 06:14 PM
Really enjoyed it but thought the editing was a little clunky.

Some observations;
- Malthouse's inclusion added little although I don't know what else he may have said that wasn't included.
- Liked Oakley's inclusion for is theatre and at least he didn't use his time to justify his decision.
- Sheahan/Bernie Lee piece seemed a little self indulgent.
- Surprised the following weren't included; Shultz, Libba Snr, JJ, Bont. May have also been nice to hear from Hawkins and Wheeler.
- Strange ending featuring the Footscray mayor.
- Thought more may have been featured of the prelim final.
- Loved hearing Bevo's thoughts on GF strategy and his favourite moment (Roughy's mark)
- Morris and both Boyds spoke really well. Picken and Wood fine but predictable.

Would have loved the traditional format where selected players watched the GF and provided running commentary. Still really enjoyable.

Topdog
22-03-2017, 10:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Z5l1PLGWY

Webby
22-03-2017, 11:07 PM
Sheesh. I missed the first airing of the show, but have it booked for IQ recording on its next airing. Bit shocked about this "logical" merger with the 'Aints stuff. They're the polar opposite side of the bay and represent a growth corridor on the exact opposite side of the city to us.

If we were to ever merge (and I stress IF - as a hypothetical exercise), the logical first options would be Norf, Geelong or Melbourne. Norf due to geography, demographics, colours and history (the very fact we were admitted simultaneously into the comp in 1925 is the reason we've remained small from a supporter base perspective over the years. It was akin to putting two teams in Tassie simultaneously!)

Geelong because eventually the western suburbs and Greater Geelong will eventually merge into one urban hub. Therefore a merged entity could have represented that 'western' hub and, in fact, western Victoria.

Or finally Melbourne due to colours and the fact that Melbourne have become nomadic due to being geographically squeezed out of the inner suburbs, training at the Junction Oval, sort of based at Casey and sort of based on Collingwood's doorstep in the inner city. We'd have provided solid territory for them. Only issue is the demographic of their blue-blood supporter base.

However, I stress again that this is a hypothetical. The best option in the longer term was always for FFC to remain its own entity and to grow into our own growing corridor in the west - which is going pretty well for us now!

I just can't fathom why St Kilda would ever have been in the discussion!

AndrewP6
22-03-2017, 11:35 PM
So you didn't enjoy all aspects then? ;)

AndrewP6
22-03-2017, 11:39 PM
Enjoyed this, but a few questions: Why MM, and not Wheels, Wallet, or Eade?
- The St Bede's interviews, fine, but then nothing from former greats like Dougie, or Schultz...
- The info from Bevo on his thoughts during the GF were great.
Good to see and hear PG and Smorgo together, and that it was PG's insistence that Smorgo be on the ground after the GF.

Twodogs
22-03-2017, 11:57 PM
So you didn't enjoy all aspects then? ;)

Maybe B4L enjoyed being disapointed by MM?

MrMahatma
23-03-2017, 02:42 AM
What happened mid 2014 between Macca and the squad?

comrade
23-03-2017, 06:14 AM
I could listen to Bevo talking strategy and tactics for days.

Topdog
23-03-2017, 11:00 AM

Sounds like he became too much of a dictator at the time and was just incredibly harsh and they didn't react well. At least thats what I took from the interview.

1eyedog
23-03-2017, 11:14 AM
Would we have given Bevo the nod if it wasn't Macca he was replacing?

I'm just pondering Gordo's comment about needing a person who could connect with the players again and whether, if we were replacing a coach because of poor on-field form rather than a socio-cultural downturn, Bevo would have been our man.

comrade
23-03-2017, 12:21 PM
Would we have given Bevo the nod if it wasn't Macca he was replacing?

I'm just pondering Gordo's comment about needing a person who could connect with the players again and whether, if we were replacing a coach because of poor on-field form rather than a socio-cultural downturn, Bevo would have been our man.

Probably not. Such a butterfly effect that led Bevo to us.

It's a good lesson for life. If everything has turned to shit, perhaps it's exactly what's required to go to a new level unimagined.

Twodogs
23-03-2017, 01:21 PM

What I have heard is Macca lost it after the Brisbane game we lost by 8 points in R12 and said a few things that with all things considered he would probably like to take back and never regained the confidence of the playing group.

Dunno how true it is though.

Axe Man
23-03-2017, 01:29 PM

In Brendan's own words:

Bulldogs' decisions have 'proven to be correct': McCartney (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-18/bulldogs-decisions-have-proven-to-be-correct-mccartney)

FORMER Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney says the club's tough decisions – including the call to move him on – have been vindicated.

Speaking publicly for the first time since his exit from Whitten Oval almost two-and-a-half years ago, McCartney admitted he'd "got some things wrong" towards the end of his tenure.

The blowtorch was on the Bulldogs in October 2014 after skipper Ryan Griffen walked out of the club, citing differences with McCartney, who then resigned because he felt his position was untenable.

The Dogs then engineered a controversial trade that sent Griffen and pick No.6 to Greater Western Sydney in exchange for unproven teenager Tom Boyd, who was signed to a seven-year deal worth a reported $6 million.

McCartney, who has been part of Melbourne's coaching panel for the past two years, revealed he felt some pride in the Bulldogs' remarkable 2016 premiership and heaped praise on his successor Luke Beveridge's regime.

"They won a flag the hardest way possible with just incredible commitment to one another and intensity and it seemed to fuel enormous self belief within them," McCartney told News Corp.

"So, I have nothing but absolute respect for what Luke has done, because clearly he is an outstanding football person and manager of men.

"Yes, there is a sense of pride in that for me, but the club made some decisions (in 2014) and whether you agreed with them or not, they have been proven to be correct.

"I know in my heart that so much was done right (in 2012-14), but I got some things wrong at the end of it, and that's not other people — I got some things wrong.

"So you've got to be man enough to look yourself in the eye and own those mistakes and get to work and that is what I spent the past couple of years doing."

The 56-year-old acknowledged he'd been too stubborn, too stern and not as supportive as he should have been in his final days in charge of the Dogs.

"It was at a time in my life where I was just probably hellbent on doing things and playing a certain way, which made me borderline stubborn and probably overly stern, and abrupt,” McCartney said.

"People would have questioned that I probably wasn’t listening intently enough.

"Previously, I had never shied away from being honest with a player or a team and explaining what I have seen, but it was always coupled with a supportive solution and an investment of time in that player or group.

"It dawned on me that that empathetic side had dropped out of my coaching. And I’m not proud of that."

McCartney's rebirth at Melbourne had reassured him that he could coach well, and he enthused that his love and passion for the caper was as strong as ever.

He also believes the Demons are building towards something special.

"Melbourne is in a very good place and the future is there to be taken, really," he said.

"(If) they keep doing what they have been doing, at some stage a great opportunity is going to look them in the eye, because it's an incredibly exciting group and they are really good young men.

"But the key is that they are just so competitive and we are just about to get to the stage where they are really competitive with each other.

"In the really good teams that I have been associated with, the midfield training is often more intense than a game. And when you have to start yelling at them to stop absolutely pounding each other, seriously, that is when you know you are on your way.

"We have to stop training and say, ‘Hey boys, that’s enough, the intensity is there, save it for the weekend’."

whythelongface
23-03-2017, 02:48 PM
Well said by McCartney. I always find it refreshing that someone can reflect back on their time and admit they were at fault. It says a lot about a person when they are able to do this.

It is also pleasing to read his comment about Bevo.

"So, I have nothing but absolute respect for what Luke has done, because clearly he is an outstanding football person and manager of men."

Ozza
23-03-2017, 02:53 PM
Watched the Open Mike special last night.

Thought it was just ok. Think he tried to cover too much in 50 minutes, and as a result, none of it hit the depth I was hoping for.
Just a show.

Murphy'sLore
23-03-2017, 03:15 PM
I always remember that bit of club footage from 2014, a coach's brief or something, where Macartney was speaking to the camera in his office and Jack Redpath (I think) came up to the window in the background and made some, shall we say, disparaging gestures. As I recall we were all a bit horrified on here at the time at the disrespectful attitude but it just shows how far the relationship with the players had soured. By then there was no going back.

Topdog
23-03-2017, 03:29 PM
oh I never saw that Murphy'sLore, I'd be interested to see that.

Murphy'sLore
23-03-2017, 03:51 PM
I can't remember the exact date, I just remember there was some conversation on here about it! I hadn't even noticed it until it was pointed out to be honest, but in retrospect it's an interesting incident.

boydogs
28-03-2017, 11:11 PM
I always remember that bit of club footage from 2014, a coach's brief or something, where Macartney was speaking to the camera in his office and Jack Redpath (I think) came up to the window in the background and made some, shall we say, disparaging gestures. As I recall we were all a bit horrified on here at the time at the disrespectful attitude but it just shows how far the relationship with the players had soured. By then there was no going back.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?13571-Macca-s-Message-Round-22

comrade
28-03-2017, 11:19 PM

Cheers, just watched it. Fairly innocuous.

Biggest take away from the video: thank god for Luke Beveridge.

KT31
29-03-2017, 12:34 PM

Watch it from the 35 sec mark with the volume turned down so you don't suffer from traumatising flashbacks.