PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs v Collingwood - best memories

bornadog
27-02-2017, 04:13 PM
Only 4 weeks from Friday we play our first game against Collingwood for 2017.

We have been beaten a lot by the Pies over the years, but we have had some memorable games and wins as well.

This one is particularly memorable with Beasley kicking a goal with the last kick of the day, after a blunder from now disgraced Graeme Allan. He was disgraced on this day too. :)

Some great players in this video, and great memories. Cordy Brothers, Rick Kenndy, Purser, Duperouzel, Jimmy Edmond, Magic McLean, Dougie Hawkins etc etc. even Travis' father.

We were losing for the entire day and at some point at least 5 goals down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drgY4KfBC0s

Were you there that day? I was.

Mofra
27-02-2017, 04:24 PM
Up until this year the elimination final vs Collingwood was one of the best football days I can remember.

Monty getting a huge hit then kicking 4 goals, Bubba retiring pre-game even though he would have been stuck on 299 games if we lost. Great game.

bornadog
27-02-2017, 04:34 PM
Up until this year the elimination final vs Collingwood was one of the best football days I can remember.

Monty getting a huge hit then kicking 4 goals, Bubba retiring pre-game even though he would have been stuck on 299 games if we lost. Great game.

What a day, what a huge crowd, lot's of RWB

Here are 30 minutes of highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZN9Z6CGvCY

LostDoggy
27-02-2017, 05:41 PM
Billy the kid selling candy to Graham Wright at the 'G to kick the winner.

LostDoggy
27-02-2017, 05:54 PM

That was a great day at the footy.
My brother and i were there and when Holland blindsided Monty you've never heard to guys going so apeshit at him and all the Collingwood Filth sitting around us.
Geez it felt so good waving and saying good-bye to all those Filth peanuts at 3qtr time and even more halfway through the last qtr ;).

bornadog
27-02-2017, 06:10 PM

That was a great day as well. Follow the delivery to Koly from the backline and the 60metre pass from Leon Cameron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM7rFc3xqLo

bornadog
27-02-2017, 06:20 PM
In 2009, we needed to win by 24 points to make 3rd on the ladder. In front of 48,888 at Etihad Stadium, it was a thrilling fast paced game.

These highlights don't show the great goal from Eagleton. ( I am sure Mantis can cope :D )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV81wkffghs

Twodogs
27-02-2017, 07:15 PM
1985. First time I ever saw us win at Victoria Park. Back then that meant you were a serious threat because Collingwood just didn't lose there. Ever.

I remember Brad Hardie intercepting a Brian Taylor handball at full back and strolling past the lump of lard like he wasn't there then take a few steps and handballing to the Hawk in the middle of the ground. Doug turns around and has a bounce while he decides which foot he's gonna use to kick the ball to Jimmy Edmond who marks the ball knocks over two Collingwood players and kicks the goal.

All Tim Lane says is "this is how it should be done"

GVGjr
27-02-2017, 07:21 PM

That was an exciting piece of play. He was full of confidence

1eyedog
27-02-2017, 08:50 PM

We have been beaten a lot by the Pies over the years, but we have had some memorable games and wins as well.

This one is particularly memorable with Beasley kicking a goal with the last kick of the day, after a blunder from now disgraced Graeme Allan. He was disgraced on this day too. :)

Some great players in this video, and great memories. Cordy Brothers, Rick Kenndy, Purser, Duperouzel, Jimmy Edmond, Magic McLean, Dougie Hawkins etc etc. even Travis' father.

Definitely I was down that end. High pressure game and a massive crowd (lots of cans to collect for a 12 year old afterwards.

HOSE B ROMERO
27-02-2017, 08:56 PM

Certainly was BAD! That day a mate and i were leaning on the wire fencing that was between the John Gent stand and the terraced seating. When Beazer slotted that one we nearly ripped the fencing out of it's foundations. At the time i reckon our win loss ratio against them was about 125-25 in their favour (or something just as ridiculous). Let's just say a lot of emotion was released.

Observations from the video:

The Rick Kennedy goal, what a ripper. Didn't happen very often.

Our main sponsor was Eastcoast jeans. I remember going to buy a pair of their stretch denims just so i could get a 10% discount. They were a very tight 80's jean...

The commentator, Don Hyde, used to be the chief footy commentator on 3UZ( now sport 927). I clearly remember him doing the 70's match against St Kilda when we kicked our record score and Templeton kicked 15.

At 14 mins 15 seconds (at the end when The Pieman is being mobbed) there is a Collingwood fan in the background, jumping up and down celebrating! Strange....

Go_Dogs
27-02-2017, 09:00 PM
Personally, 2006.

Back in Adelaide, watched with a mate who went for the Pies and a Crows mate. Being a gracious winner was very tough. Getting a few of our older players through for their 300ths was huge.

HOSE B ROMERO
27-02-2017, 09:01 PM
I remember us playing Collingwood in 1986 at the MCG in what was one of the first Sunday matches if i remember rightly. Tragically it was the day The Hawk did his knee.

Webby
27-02-2017, 09:12 PM
Definitely I was down that end. High pressure game and a massive crowd (lots of cans to collect for a 12 year old afterwards.

One thing I've gotten from this YouTube clip over the years is the kid jumping up and down in the crowd at the 14:15 mark as Royal's hugging Beasley. I remember thinking "why is that Collingwood supporter celebrating?!"

Then his duffle coat opens slightly and you can see the "CFC" Carlton monogram on his chest. It was navy and white scarf - not black and white..! The kid had come to the WO in his full Carlton gear to barrack against the Pies... It's stuck in the memory over the years!

Twodogs
27-02-2017, 09:19 PM
Certainly was BAD! That day a mate and i were leaning on the wire fencing that was between the John Gent stand and the terraced seating. When Beazer slotted that one we nearly ripped the fencing out of it's foundations. At the time i reckon our win loss ratio against them was about 125-25 in their favour (or something just as ridiculous). Let's just say a lot of emotion was released.

Observations from the video:

The Rick Kennedy goal, what a ripper. Didn't happen very often.

Our main sponsor was Eastcoast jeans. I remember going to buy a pair of their stretch denims just so i could get a 10% discount. They were a very tight 80's jean...

The commentator, Don Hyde, used to be the chief footy commentator on 3UZ( now sport 927). I clearly remember him doing the 70's match against St Kilda when we kicked our record score and Templeton kicked 15.

At 14 mins 15 seconds (at the end when The Pieman is being mobbed) there is a Collingwood fan in the background, jumping up and down celebrating! Strange....

I can tell you off the top of my head that we hadn't beaten Collingwood since 1977 before that game.

And I am fairly certain Don Hyde was a Footsrcray supporter.

HOSE B ROMERO
27-02-2017, 09:22 PM
That was a great day as well. Follow the delivery to Koly from the backline and the 60metre pass from Leon Cameron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM7rFc3xqLo

Yes, i was sitting just about behind Koly when he nailed that one. To take on the speed demon Wright, bounce twice with him on his tail and goal was unbelievable. Such an enigmatic player, Kolyniuk.

1990 was one of my favourite years. No we didn't make the finals but because we had survived the takeover the previous summer, going to each game was a treat.

Loved when Fossie's knee 'accidentally' collected Banks in a marking contest and Peter McKenna said 'you'd enjoy those tactics Don (Scott)'. Scott and McKenna were fun to listen to doing the Army Reserve cup in the '80's.

And who was on the oval at the end with Terry Wheeler? Dr Jake Landsberger who is still at the club 27 years later and he still looks the same!

HOSE B ROMERO
27-02-2017, 09:28 PM
Our biggest ever home and away crowd against the pies is round 9, 2006 where 67,920 watched on. Surely we can beat that in round 1???

1eyedog
27-02-2017, 10:20 PM
One thing I've gotten from this YouTube clip over the years is the kid jumping up and down in the crowd at the 14:15 mark as Royal's hugging Beasley. I remember thinking "why is that Collingwood supporter celebrating?!"

Then his duffle coat opens slightly and you can see the "CFC" Carlton monogram on his chest. It was navy and white scarf - not black and white..! The kid had come to the WO in his full Carlton gear to barrack against the Pies... It's stuck in the memory over the years!

Yes I always wondered about that but I ceased being surprised by the actions of Collingwood supporters after my first visit to Victoria Park.

HOSE B ROMERO
27-02-2017, 10:52 PM
1985. First time I ever saw us win at Victoria Park. Back then that meant you were a serious threat because Collingwood just didn't lose there. Ever.

I remember Brad Hardie intercepting a Brian Taylor handball at full back and strolling past the lump of lard like he wasn't there then take a few steps and handballing to the Hawk in the middle of the ground. Doug turns around and has a bounce while he decides which foot he's gonna use to kick the ball to Jimmy Edmond who marks the ball knocks over two Collingwood players and kicks the goal.

All Tim Lane says is "this is how it should be done"

I never thought i saw us win at Vic Park but i was there that day so i must have...

Hate to say it but that place did have a real presence. It always seemed to me as if we were outnumbered 10:1

Vic Park & Kardinia Park always carried a bit of a curse for us.

HOSE B ROMERO
27-02-2017, 11:06 PM
I can tell you off the top of my head that we hadn't beaten Collingwood since 1977 before that game.

And I am fairly certain Don Hyde was a Footsrcray supporter.

Ian Major on 3KZ with Jack Dyer ('the Captain & the Major') was a dog's supporter as well.

Twodogs
27-02-2017, 11:37 PM
I never thought i saw us win at Vic Park but i was there that day so i must have...

Hate to say it but that place did have a real presence. It always seemed to me as if we were outnumbered 10:1

All those grounds had an individual character that unique to that place. Arden st had the betting ring out the back, Princes Park had those Carlton supporters banging on the tin advertising hoardings early in the third quarter, junction oval was in the middle (almost) of StKilda and you got that weird train there with people you'd never see in Footscray, the lake oval was a place you never looked at anyone because it was full of wharfies-you stood and watched the football and you went home, at Windy Hill you could pick up chicks! Moorabbin you had to walk to from the station and the trail would go through suburban streets and blocks of land between houses. You felt like you might need a cut lunch and a canteen.

Then everybody at Flinders st on the way home yelling to other supporters trying to find out who won the other games

bornadog
27-02-2017, 11:59 PM

Yes I was there as well. Must have been about 100 supporters, not much more and the rest Pies.

bornadog
28-02-2017, 12:02 AM
Yes I was there as well. Must have been about 100 supporters, not much more and the rest Pies.

here is some footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZxiwv8-HAc

Twodogs
28-02-2017, 12:40 AM
We won twice at Vic Park that season. Fitzroy were playing there too and we played them two weeks after we played Collingwood.

1eyedog
28-02-2017, 12:46 AM

Kardinia Park was a barren landscape for us for a long, long time. I do remember a game perhaps 20 years ago (perhaps longer) where we came from behind to win. I think we were 45 points down at half time. Living in Geelong at the time I carried that one around for a while.

Twodogs
28-02-2017, 01:28 AM
Two years in a row we came from a fair way down at Kardinia Park to win. It was in the Wallace years in that patch when we were never out of a game. Big last quarter comebacks against North twhen Matty Croft did the business on Carey and Adelaide.

jeemak
28-02-2017, 01:52 AM

Thanks for posting BAD. You only have to watch a small amount of this caca to realise the Baby Boomers longing for a purer game than what we have now are barking up the wrong tree.

jeemak
28-02-2017, 02:02 AM

It's the game I most regret not attending, alongside our VFL premiership win a few years ago.

Twodogs
28-02-2017, 04:46 AM
It's the game I most regret not attending, alongside our VFL premiership win a few years ago.

That's a good idea for a thread.

SlimPickens
28-02-2017, 08:49 AM
Personally my favourite win against the pies was back in 2014, where Tutty kicked the winner. Was the week my first was born, I was exhausted and it was the cream on the cake of an incredible week. I'll never forget that game.
We haven't lost to the pies in the regular season since my daughter was born, and considering my in-laws are all Collingwood supporters it's awesome. Long may it continue!

Twodogs
28-02-2017, 09:22 AM
Personally my favourite won against the pies was back in 2014, where Tutty kicked the winner. Was the week my first was born I was exhausted and it was the cream on the cake of an incredible week. I'll never forget that game.
We haven't lost to the pies in the regular season since my daughter was born, and considering my in-laws are all Collingwood supporters it's awesome. Long may it continue!

Brilliant. My corresponding match was against Brisbane in 1998. From memory the boys celebrated the birth of my son (in a bye weekend thank god!) by slotting a lazy 9 past the Lions in the first quarter.

bornadog
28-02-2017, 09:43 AM
Personally my favourite won against the pies was back in 2014, where Tutty kicked the winner. Was the week my first was born I was exhausted and it was the cream on the cake of an incredible week. I'll never forget that game.

Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtFYhNyZpI0

bornadog
28-02-2017, 09:51 AM
1994: Round 18, Footscray v Collingwood Q4 - Whitten Oval, Tony Shaw playing is record breaking game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIZoU3Nyu_4

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-02-2017, 09:59 AM
That famous win in '84, for me, as an 8 year old was a defining moment in my consciousness as a Bulldog supporter. Whilst I can recall that I followed the Dogs way back as a 4 year old when KT was tearing it up in 78, this game for me was an awakening moment.
I can recall clearly being in my backward, by myself, footy in hand, following the radio broadcast blaring from our nearby shed as kicked my footy around the yard. I recall becomign more and more interested in the game as we edged closer, coming from quite a few goals down. Then in the last couple of minutes I stopped kicking my footy, sat down near the shed and listened intently to the play, and then roared in delight when the fateful kick from Allen unfolded and Beasley took the intercept mark.
Usually after games on a Saturday afternoon, kids would make their way up to the oval at Harrisfield Primary school to kick the footy around. I lived about 800 metres from the school..and I don't think I've ever ran as fast as I could to get up there that day to kick the footy around.

Normally going to school on a Monday morning was a thankless task being a Bulldog supporter, to be met at the school gate by mates ribbing me about the Dogs latest embarrassing defeat at the hands of a North, or a Carlton, Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn or Collingwood.
Not that Monday my friend, not that Monday...

That was the first time I recall rolling up to school with my head held high.. going out of my way to make eye contact with the several Pie's supporters in my class and casting a wry smile as I walked past.

SlimPickens
28-02-2017, 11:46 AM
Just quietly, you wouldn't mind Travis Cloke doing that on a weekly basis in the tri-colours. He monstered us that day.

Greystache
28-02-2017, 01:22 PM
Thanks for posting BAD. You only have to watch a small amount of this caca to realise the Baby Boomers longing for a purer game than what we have now are barking up the wrong tree.

Yep, get it and hack it forward was about the extent of strategy in those days. Add in the lack of composure of players in traffic, and that nearly every contest resulted in a free kick if a mark wasn't taken, you can pretty much stick your "glory" days of football.

bornadog
28-02-2017, 01:48 PM

and those dickheads keep introducing rules to make the game look like 1980. It will never ever ever work. The game has evolved and is far more exciting than the 1980's

Twodogs
28-02-2017, 01:57 PM
Yep, get it and hack it forward was about the extent of strategy in those days. Add in the lack of composure of players in traffic, and that nearly every contest resulted in a free kick if a mark wasn't taken, you can pretty much stick your "glory" days of football.

Oh come on! You're forgetting that coaches shouted sometimes to give the boys a 'rev up'. That counted as good tactics. :cool:

craigsahibee
28-02-2017, 02:05 PM
1994: Round 18, Footscray v Collingwood Q4 - Whitten Oval, Tony Shaw playing is record breaking game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIZoU3Nyu_4

Johnno's debut.

Greystache
28-02-2017, 04:42 PM
Oh come on! You're forgetting that coaches shouted sometimes to give the boys a 'rev up'. That counted as good tactics. :cool:

Forgot that little nugget. Their coach is telling them to go in harder, so I'll tell my boys to go in even harderer, that will give us an edge!

It's like two neighbouring countries at war claiming they'll win because God is on their side!

bornadog
28-02-2017, 05:05 PM

Don't know what you are talking about - :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTZS-gTRWh4

HOSE B ROMERO
28-02-2017, 05:48 PM
All those grounds had an individual character that unique to that place. Arden st had the betting ring out the back, Princes Park had those Carlton supporters banging on the tin advertising hoardings early in the third quarter, junction oval was in the middle (almost) of StKilda and you got that weird train there with people you'd never see in Footscray, the lake oval was a place you never looked at anyone because it was full of wharfies-you stood and watched the football and you went home, at Windy Hill you could pick up chicks! Moorabbin you had to walk to from the station and the trail would go through suburban streets and blocks of land between houses. You felt like you might need a cut lunch and a canteen.

Then everybody at Flinders st on the way home yelling to other supporters trying to find out who won the other games

And because you played games at so many different grounds in different weather conditions, i found it easier to remember particular games. These days i struggle to remember games at Docklands from a couple of years ago.

When anyone used to ask me at Flinders street for the result, sometimes i would make it up just to see their reaction..

HOSE B ROMERO
28-02-2017, 05:56 PM
Kardinia Park was a barren landscape for us for a long, long time. I do remember a game perhaps 20 years ago (perhaps longer) where we came from behind to win. I think we were 45 points down at half time. Living in Geelong at the time I carried that one around for a while.

Just on Kardinia Park. When we won there in '72 it was our first win there since 1945... that's right 27 years. Ted Whitten went down there for 20 years and never played in a winning team!

HOSE B ROMERO
28-02-2017, 06:07 PM
That famous win in '84, for me, as an 8 year old was a defining moment in my consciousness as a Bulldog supporter. Whilst I can recall that I followed the Dogs way back as a 4 year old when KT was tearing it up in 78, this game for me was an awakening moment.
I can recall clearly being in my backward, by myself, footy in hand, following the radio broadcast blaring from our nearby shed as kicked my footy around the yard. I recall becomign more and more interested in the game as we edged closer, coming from quite a few goals down. Then in the last couple of minutes I stopped kicking my footy, sat down near the shed and listened intently to the play, and then roared in delight when the fateful kick from Allen unfolded and Beasley took the intercept mark.
Usually after games on a Saturday afternoon, kids would make their way up to the oval at Harrisfield Primary school to kick the footy around. I lived about 800 metres from the school..and I don't think I've ever ran as fast as I could to get up there that day to kick the footy around.

Normally going to school on a Monday morning was a thankless task being a Bulldog supporter, to be met at the school gate by mates ribbing me about the Dogs latest embarrassing defeat at the hands of a North, or a Carlton, Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn or Collingwood.
Not that Monday my friend, not that Monday...

That was the first time I recall rolling up to school with my head held high.. going out of my way to make eye contact with the several Pie's supporters in my class and casting a wry smile as I walked past.

Wait a minute... 4 years old in 1978 and then 8 years old in 1984. Yankee, somewhere you've lost a few years.

Yeah listening to footy on the radio was a big part of my childhood. With the right commentators a vivid picture would play out in your mind. I followed the dogs on the radio every weekend for 8 years before i saw them live. Magical.

It was never enjoyable fronting up at school or work on the Monday after another loss. There was always at least one idiot who would give it to you. I sure wish i could have tracked some of them down on Grand Final night last year.:rolleyes:

Twodogs
28-02-2017, 06:15 PM
And because you played games at so many different grounds in different weather conditions, i found it easier to remember particular games. These days i struggle to remember games at Docklands from a couple of years ago.

When anyone used to ask me at Flinders street for the result, sometimes i would make it up just to see their reaction..

Exactly! And teams develeloped little idiosyncrasies from the way they developed to play on their ground the best.

Webby
28-02-2017, 07:25 PM
Just on Kardinia Park. When we won there in '72 it was our first win there since 1945... that's right 27 years. Ted Whitten went down there for 20 years and never played in a winning team!

That's a big stat. I love those kinds of stats. Geelong were very, very strong in the 50's and 60's. Probably the biggest underachievers in the comp during that period. Extremely talented list. Then they were poor in the 1970's - falling right away. In fact, Geelong West in the VFA pulled bigger crowds than the Cats on some weekends during the 70's.

Twodogs
28-02-2017, 07:39 PM
That's a big stat. I love those kinds of stats. Geelong were very, very strong in the 50's and 60's. Probably the biggest underachievers in the comp during that period. Extremely talented list. Then they were poor in the 1970's - falling right away. In fact, Geelong West in the VFA pulled bigger crowds than the Cats on some weekends during the 70's.

Geelong West had Big Joe Radojavich. I loved watching him. I never saw a big full forward get so many Joe the Goose handballs in the goalsquare

Gee the VFA were onto a good thing with Sunday football.

jeemak
02-03-2017, 02:10 AM
That Collingwood game probably showed or laid bare the best and worst of the McCartney era. The worst was the ease of which we were scored against through midfield run and or efficiency of the opposition. The best was hard contested work backed up by for some reason clean or efficient work round contests on the flanks.

Great memory for the Tuttmeister. What could he have done under Bevo that he couldn't under Malthousen*!*!*!*!en?

westdog54
02-03-2017, 06:37 AM
Personally my favourite win against the pies was back in 2014, where Tutty kicked the winner. Was the week my first was born, I was exhausted and it was the cream on the cake of an incredible week. I'll never forget that game.

Bontempelli's break-out game. Had 10 touches in the 3rd and set up Tutty's winner.

westdog54
02-03-2017, 06:45 AM
That's a good idea for a thread.

I will make it so.

Prince Imperial
02-03-2017, 05:51 PM
Running over the top of Collingwood in the last quarter at the MCG in '85 was another highlight. They were third on the ladder and we were fifth before that game. 45k and it was our home game and Beasley and Bamblett snared 11 between them.

bornadog
02-03-2017, 06:02 PM
Running over the top of Collingwood in the last quarter at the MCG in '85 was another highlight. They were third on the ladder and we were fifth before that game. 45k and it was our home game and Beasley and Bamblett snared 11 between them.

I had forgotten about that game. 1985 was one of the best seasons but another of great opportunity lost.

Beasely kicked some big scores that year. 12 v the Dees, 12 against the Tigers out at VFL park, 7 against the Cats at Kardinia Park.

Thank you for the reminder.

Twodogs
02-03-2017, 06:18 PM

That's a good get, transferred home game from Whitten Oval. I reckon we lost a home game the week before too (Fitzroy is in my head but it couldn't have been) I can remember one of my mates getting annoyed and saying we had thrown away a sure win at home next week chasing money.

Funny thing is I can remember the exact same guy getting annoyed as they carted Rob Murphy off the ground and yelling at nobody in particular "will this club ever have a break go its way"

HOSE B ROMERO
02-03-2017, 07:01 PM
I had forgotten about that game. 1985 was one of the best seasons but another of great opportunity lost.

Beasely kicked some big scores that year. 12 v the Dees, 12 against the Tigers out at VFL park, 7 against the Cats at Kardinia Park.

Thank you for the reminder.

I think the Pieman kicked 12 on seven occasions during his career. Ah, the days of the full forward kicking bags....

KT31
02-03-2017, 10:10 PM
I think the Pieman kicked 12 on seven occasions during his career. Ah, the days of the full forward kicking bags....

The rare days when our forwards kicked bags were wonderful, on the other boot though I have nightmares of the many times when Richo, Locket, Lyon, Kernahan, Dunstall or others kicked bags against us.

Eastdog
02-03-2017, 11:14 PM

Yeah it's a rarity nowadays as now your forwards of today need to play mutiple roles so less likely to kick a lot of goals individually.

Sedat
03-03-2017, 12:37 AM
Apples with oranges - they were semi-professional back then, so the athleticism and burst power is simply not comparable to the modern game. However the one-on-one craft was better back then compared to today's era - you had to learn to beat your man to win your own ball (even back pockets and flankers), and rarely had a teammate chopping you out to create a numerical advantage or dined out on cheapies out the back. Also there were bugger-all stoppages back then (a massive advantage over today's game), and on the rare occasions that there was a stoppage the umpire would ball it up immediately instead of piss-farting around for 10 seconds like they do today. We would do well to learn and adapt some of the open positional play of that era to try and reduce the awful congestion around the ball today, and not by zones either - pay holding the ball immediately instead of giving players 2 rotations in the tackle to get rid of the ball, and also get the umpires to throw it up immediately after a stoppage. Also reduce rotations to 10 per quarter and increase the bench to 6 players.

The best football of the 80's was a fantastic spectacle. There was a lot of dross as well to be fair, but the best parts of the game back then would be more than welcome in today's era.