PDA

View Full Version : Southern Sky, Western Oval

Murphy'sLore
06-03-2017, 02:38 PM
I am currently about halfway through Southern Sky, Western Oval which is Martin Flanagan's book about the Bulldogs' 1993 season -- a year which began with high hopes and ended (spoilers!) in the sacking of Terry Wheeler as coach.

Given that Martin Flanagan is apparently set to write a book about our premiership season (love typing those words...), I was keen to see what sort of a job he made of the earlier volume (thanks to Bornadog for tracking it down for me, btw!), and even though I haven't yet finished reading it, I'd love people's views on a couple of things.

Firstly, Flanagan's writing is just a joy to read. Some samples: "(Brad) Hardie was thick-set and pale with red hair; on the field he looked like a bread van surrounded by sports cars..."
" (the weights coach) gloried in (Chris) Grant's build in the way that architects glory in fine buildings they have constructed. His shoulder muscles bulged like plates in a suit of armour."

There are gems on every page, and this is a team I barely know anything about (apart from what I've gleaned on WOOF). I can't wait to read what he says about the current squad, players I know better. This is the team of Libba the first, Steve Wallis, Marc Hunter, whose sons have succeeded where they fell agonisingly short. It also features young players Chris Grant, Scott West, Leon Cameron and (surprise!) Luke Beveridge.

Before reading this book, I knew nothing about Terry Wheeler. But it strikes me that he seems to be a similar coach to Luke Beveridge in some ways: a self-confessed 'emotional guy' who was just as likely to quote 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull' as Teddy Whitten. An unconventional coach who encouraged the team to sky-dive together to build courage and bonding. A coach who emphasised the positive and encouraged players to play to their strengths and take their opportunities.

Could Beveridge have been influenced by Wheeler in his own coaching style? Any thoughts?

Twodogs
06-03-2017, 02:44 PM
That's a good question about Wheels and Bevo. I didn't know their times at the club overlapped.

Terry could have influenced the way Bevo coaches. Bevo is a bit more pragmatic maybe but they are both blue sky thinkers.

Bulldog4life
06-03-2017, 02:48 PM
That's a good question about Wheels and Bevo. I didn't know their times at the club overlapped.

Terry could have influenced the way Bevo coaches. Bevo is a bit more pragmatic maybe but they are both blue sky thinkers.

Peter Gordon has come out recently and said if he had his time over again he wouldn't have sacked Wheels.

craigsahibee
06-03-2017, 02:50 PM
I am currently about halfway through Southern Sky, Western Oval which is Martin Flanagan's book about the Bulldogs' 1993 season -- a year which began with high hopes and ended (spoilers!) in the sacking of Terry Wheeler as coach.

Given that Martin Flanagan is apparently set to write a book about our premiership season (love typing those words...), I was keen to see what sort of a job he made of the earlier volume (thanks to Bornadog for tracking it down for me, btw!), and even though I haven't yet finished reading it, I'd love people's views on a couple of things.

Firstly, Flanagan's writing is just a joy to read. Some samples: "(Brad) Hardie was thick-set and pale with red hair; on the field he looked like a bread van surrounded by sports cars..."
" (the weights coach) gloried in (Chris) Grant's build in the way that architects glory in fine buildings they have constructed. His shoulder muscles bulged like plates in a suit of armour."

There are gems on every page, and this is a team I barely know anything about (apart from what I've gleaned on WOOF). I can't wait to read what he says about the current squad, players I know better. This is the team of Libba the first, Steve Wallis, Marc Hunter, whose sons have succeeded where they fell agonisingly short. It also features young players Chris Grant, Scott West, Leon Cameron and (surprise!) Luke Beveridge.

Before reading this book, I knew nothing about Terry Wheeler. But it strikes me that he seems to be a similar coach to Luke Beveridge in some ways: a self-confessed 'emotional guy' who was just as likely to quote 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull' as Teddy Whitten. An unconventional coach who encouraged the team to sky-dive together to build courage and bonding. A coach who emphasised the positive and encouraged players to play to their strengths and take their opportunities.

Could Beveridge have been influenced by Wheeler in his own coaching style? Any thoughts?

It's an interesting question. Both have great belief in their players. No doubt a belief that was/is reciprocated. Having met Wheels on numerous occasions, I can say without hesitation that he is an empathetic character. It would be difficult to not want to perform at your best for him, which is how I see the current playing group and their attitude towards Bevo. I would imagine that Wheels and Bevo would have similar philosophies to each other that were not just restricted to the footy field.

bornadog
06-03-2017, 04:25 PM
Bevo would have had at least a year under Terry Wheeler and I am sure he would have been influenced by Wheeler's coaching. Terry was ahead of his time and was very different to the coaches of the era, who tended to yell and scream at players and basically manage by fear. A bit like anyone's boss was like during those years.

Great observations ML.

Murphy'sLore
06-03-2017, 04:31 PM
Yes, I remember from Year of the Dogs that Allan Joyce seemed like a really old-fashioned, shouty coach. I was surprised to realise that Wheeler was so contemporary in his approach, he really does seem to have been ahead of his time. What a shame he was sacked, you can't help but wonder what might have happened if he'd hung around.

The Peter Rohde years were pretty dark, weren't they? I only came on board in the Eade era.

bornadog
06-03-2017, 04:37 PM
Yes, I remember from Year of the Dogs that Allan Joyce seemed like a really old-fashioned, shouty coach. I was surprised to realise that Wheeler was so contemporary in his approach, he really does seem to have been ahead of his time. What a shame he was sacked, you can't help but wonder what might have happened if he'd hung around.

The Peter Rohde years were pretty dark, weren't they? I only came on board in the Eade era.

In 1992 Wheels got us into the prelim, but we were missing the Brownlow medalist in Wynd as well as Peter Foster at CHB. Fozzie was on fire during the 1992 season, until the mongrel from Hawthorn (Dear), literally kicked Fozzie to trip him over, and broke his leg. Consequently Billy Brownless had a field day. Fozzie had his measure over the years, but alas we had no one to put on him in the finals.

bornadog
06-03-2017, 04:41 PM
Have a listen to Terry handing his jumper number to Caleb - he is so inspirational.

Listen here (https://audioboom.com/posts/3339721-terry-wheeler-speech-at-caleb-daniel-s-guernsey-presentation-friday-3-july-2015)

Murphy'sLore
06-03-2017, 05:24 PM
Way ahead of you, BD, I listened to it earlier today :)

A great speaker, it sent shivers up my spine. He is really passionate.

WBFC4FFC
06-03-2017, 05:27 PM
Way ahead of you, BD, I listened to it earlier today :)

A great speaker, it sent shivers up my spine. He is really passionate.

Didn't Murphy organise for Wheels to talk to the players during the 2015 pre-season, believing they needed it after the turmoil at the end of 2014? Seems to have assisted.

always right
06-03-2017, 07:14 PM
Certainly some similarities between Wheels and Bevo....although IMO Wheels had a tendency to play favourites with certain players, moreso than Bevo.

Bulldog Revolution
07-03-2017, 11:37 AM
Wheeler was miles ahead of time - saw the positive in people, drew out the best of players (Libba, Delre as great examples of players who played elite footy under him, but who others thought couldnt make it).

Had an offensive, attacking game plan, in which the players played with genuine flair.

IMO Terry Wheeler should be celebrated as one of the great figures in our clubs history

Mofra
07-03-2017, 12:03 PM
IMO Terry Wheeler should be celebrated as one of the great figures in our clubs history
Not many ex-coaches are welcomed back into a club so quickly.
Wheeler was never 'hated' like so many ex-coaches are. He still is very highly regarded amongst Bulldog people, as he should be.

craigsahibee
07-03-2017, 12:56 PM
Terry just loves the place.

Spoke to him after the GF on the way up to the old Hilton Hotel. He was beaming, like we all were.

Could have easily snatched it with the club after getting sacked, but he's not that sort of bloke. I can recall his brief stint as a commentator on Channel 7 a couple of years after his dismissal and you could tell that he still loved the players.

Great Man and I agree with Bulldogs Revolution, he is one of the Club Greats.

Webby
07-03-2017, 02:21 PM
Not many ex-coaches are welcomed back into a club so quickly.
Wheeler was never 'hated' like so many ex-coaches are. He still is very highly regarded amongst Bulldog people, as he should be.

Tough as nails back pocket who gave his all on the field for the club. One of those fan favourites for pure endeavour. Even on the old posed footy card shots, he looked like he was killing Ng for the footy! Coached the club in its time of need - and his best was very very good.

Club sacked him. He didn't leave. Loyal to the end. In fact loyal beyond the end. Never publicly bad mouthed the place and embraced the western suburbs. Never moonlighted with another league club & a grass roots kind of guy.

One flag shy of Charlie Sutton in a lot of ways, really! Doggies man through and through. Nothing but love for Wheels.