PDA

View Full Version : Who will it be?

Mofra
09-03-2017, 03:24 PM
This time last year Koby Stevens was a lock in our best 22, Caleb Daniel a fringe player. 7-8 months on things were substantially different.

Every year we have a fringe type stamp themselves as best 22 during the year, often a kid who has shown glimpses of real talent but improves markedly to become an automatic selection when fit.
Who will it be in 2017?

I'm going to nominate a kid who is probably in the top 25 players but isn't guaranteed a game with a full fit list - Toby McLean.
Toby has finishing skills and appears to have real football smarts, not a huge kid but has added a little bit of size each pre-season so that he can at least compete with the bigger bodies.
Has run through the middle during the JLT series indicating his running capacity is up this year.

Any other nominations?

bulldogtragic
09-03-2017, 03:32 PM
Zaine & Timmy!

Twodogs
09-03-2017, 04:50 PM
Magic for me too. He makes things happen.

chef
09-03-2017, 07:09 PM
Jong for mine. If he can stay fit he'll be a very important part of the team with his tool set. Big year for Lin.

Twodogs
09-03-2017, 07:58 PM
Jong for mine. If he can stay fit he'll be a very important part of the team with his tool set. Big year for Lin.

Yeah good get. Gee it'd be fantastic if he had a big break out year, Jong has that burst speed that gets him clear of packs. He's big and strong too, he monsters other players at training and is a good overhead mark.

1eyedog
09-03-2017, 09:35 PM
Dunks for me he's going to be one hell of a player. He'll be stronger again this year and will hold more marks and be able to stand up in more tackles. Does a lot of things well, great size, handsome man. He's a classic utility and I hope his VFL form warrants selection and he proves me right.

lemmon
11-03-2017, 06:42 PM
Campbell for mine. We've seen bits and pieces of very good work, he should return before Rough and get a real chance to throw down the gauntlet.

Smads57
11-03-2017, 11:43 PM
I can't go past the magic man. Injuries have not allowed him to have a consistent run in his first two years, so he is ready to go in his third year!

jeemak
12-03-2017, 12:28 AM
Tom Boyd for me. He has the tools to become the best ruck/forward in the competition this year. While I appreciate he was drafted to be the best of the latter, and was played as the former by necessity recently, he's the perfect candidate to fulfill the most prized position of all AFL big men. The ruck who can do it all and hit the scoreboard.

hujsh
12-03-2017, 02:09 AM
One or two injuries down back and it could be Williams.

Hard to see him forcing any of JJ, Murph, Boyd, Suckling or Biggs out of the team though.

Eastdog
20-03-2017, 08:01 PM

Yeah I like that. I sense a big year coming up for him.

Ozza
21-03-2017, 10:25 AM
I don't disagree with the above - but I'm going to say that Fletcher Roberts becomes a part of the furniture down back.
For starters, we have a lack of tall defenders and need someone to put up their hand. But also, Fletcher has had a full pre-season for the first time in his career. I'm tipping that we see Fletch go from strength to strength this year. I don't think he'll ever be a star, but I think he can become a really reliable shut down defender coming off two good performances in the prelim and GF.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-03-2017, 10:40 AM
Based only on the 3 pre-season games, which I know is hardly real world premiership points match simulation, I would say Toby McLean looked the most likely to step his game up again.
Marcus Adams the exact opposite of that.

KT31
21-03-2017, 10:42 AM
Magic for me, just like his work under pressure in tight spots.
Couple of really important touches in the last minute of the Finals, especially the GWS Prelim.
Caleb is another who I have pegged for a big year, he has one of the best football brains I have seen.

LostDoggy
21-03-2017, 11:08 AM
Caleb Daniel; to take the next step and be in our top 5 in the BF.

Its hard to go past Magic and Dunkley as locks for best 22 as they continue to develop on their impressive raw skillset.

Bailey Dale and Honey would need to start making very loud noises. I will back Bailey.

LostDoggy
21-03-2017, 09:50 PM
Magic Man for me

BornInDroopSt'54
22-03-2017, 09:22 AM
Was it Ox I heard on SEN claiming Lin Jong as his smokey to be AA this year? I can imagine that but he would have to improve a notch or two. However it is easy to imagine Lin having his best season yet. He needs to get off to a good start and take his opportunities. He seems to be less hard at the contest since he was suspended for that head high tackle however. Hope he's over that. Go Lin!

Eastdog
22-03-2017, 11:04 PM
Zaine & Timmy!

I'll go Zaine. Awesome tackle and goal in the 1st quarter of the granny.