PDA

View Full Version : Our South Australian born players

BulldogBelle
07-01-2008, 10:11 PM
We have a big contingent of South Australian born players in our team – can you see any of them wanting to return back home before their careers are over? Do you think that the Crows and Pt Adel will throw buckets of gold at Cooney, Griffen etc when their contracts are up?

I personally think that they will all finish their careers with the Dogs and then possibly a few will return home when their playing careers are over.

Our South Aust players are – Cooney, Griffen, Tiller, Minson, Harris, Hudson, Welsh, Eagleton.

Thoughts?

hujsh
07-01-2008, 10:36 PM
We have a big contingent of South Australian born players in our team – can you see any of them wanting to return back home before their careers are over? Do you think that the Crows and Pt Adel will throw buckets of gold at Cooney, Griffen etc when their contracts are up?

I personally think that they will all finish their careers with the Dogs and then possibly a few will return home when their playing careers are over.

Our South Aust players are – Cooney, Griffen, Tiller, Minson, Harris, Hudson, Welsh, Eagleton.

Thoughts?

I think that we can rule out Hudson, Welsh and Eagleton. I think that the others are happy at the club and will only leave if say Tiller or Minson haven't made themselves regulars in the team.

GVGjr
07-01-2008, 11:19 PM
I think Tiller might be the player that looks to go home somewhere down the track especially if he doesn't feel he is getting enough opportunities. He might do a Shane Ellen on us.

Sockeye Salmon
08-01-2008, 12:22 AM
I think that we can rule out Hudson, Welsh and Eagleton. I think that the others are happy at the club and will only leave if say Tiller or Minson haven't made themselves regulars in the team.

You can add Minson to that list. He considers himself a Victorian and hated living in Adelaide (parents took him there when he was 11).

Harris has a baby with a local lass - that's a good sign.

Cooney's girlfriend is an Adelaide girl, warning signs there.

Certainly they will all get packets of cash thrown at them.

hujsh
08-01-2008, 02:27 AM
Certainly they will all get packets of cash thrown at them.

Good thing we should be using the full salary cap soon.

Mantis
08-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Good thing we should be using the full salary cap soon.

We are now and have been for the last couple of years.

hujsh
08-01-2008, 03:24 PM
We are now and have been for the last couple of years.

We were only using 93% (the minimum) at one stage weren't we?

GVGjr
08-01-2008, 03:47 PM

A few years back in 2003 and 2004 we were. We have been close to 100% for the last 3 years.

Mantis
08-01-2008, 03:49 PM

Yeah about the time Campbell Rose took over which was in early 2002. IIRC the players took pay cuts before the 03 season. We have built it up gradually since this time, but I believe we have been paying 100% TPP for atleast the past year, perhaps even 2.

hujsh
08-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Awesome. Nothing worse than losing players do to money...Brown.

Mofra
08-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Awesome. Nothing worse than losing players do to money...Brown.
What we offered Brown was an insult. We basically forced him to leave.

LostDoggy
08-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Good footballer but one less dickhead.
He was after money solely, it wouldn't of matter what we offered him.
Overall it would be nice to have a footballer of his talent but I think we are a better club without him.

Sockeye Salmon
09-01-2008, 10:29 AM

Wait a minute.

Brown said he went to Richmond for the same money?

I believe we offered $375K /year and Richmond offered $425K / year + extras like Clinton Casey's property development deal and the shonky beer buying deal.

$375K wasn't bad money at the time. It wouldn't have been far behind Grant, West or Johnson.

Darcy was about to sign on for $400K (but hadn't done it when Brown decided to leave).

Bulldog Revolution
09-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Whatever Brown says is just spin after the fact - we offered him plenty of money, but challenged him to step up as a leader of the club. If we were going to pay him a leaders money we wanted him to lead.

Cant see the South Australians going anywhere - I dont think heading back is as big a drawcard as it was previously. Our facilities will improve dramatically shortly and we should be on the up on the field.

bornadog
09-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Whatever Brown says is just spin after the fact - we offered him plenty of money, but challenged him to step up as a leader of the club. If we were going to pay him a leaders money we wanted him to lead.

Cant see the South Australians going anywhere - I dont think heading back is as big a drawcard as it was previously. Our facilities will improve dramatically shortly and we should be on the up on the field.

Yes the facilities will make a difference to the players, from where we have come from. Its always nice to have a nice work place environment, whether you are in an office or a gym or wherever, so the players are no different.