PDA

View Full Version : 2008 AFL Home & Away Season Predictions

The Bulldogs Bite
07-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Thought it might generate some interesting and indepth discussion if we created a thread involving not only our side for the upcoming season, but the other 15 sides too. Below is an evaluation of each sides seasons, and below that is my predicted ladder for the 2008 AFL Home & Away Season.
Perhaps this could be stickied as we can relate to it throughout the duration of the season?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geelong: They were basically the dominant side of the '07 season, not including those first four rounds. Played together as a team on a mission. Stoakes became a quality small forward booting 30+ goals, whilst Selwood added a hardened edge to their midfield. Ottens was able to mandhandle teams in the ruck & up forward whilst Mooney had his best season yet. Bartlet collected the Brownlow Medal in a stellar year, as Gary Ablett transformed himself from a good footballer into one of the best in the compeition. Their backline held tight too, with Egan & Mackie both stepping up remarkably. They crucified Port Adelaide in the Grand Final, ending what was an incredible year for them.
2007 Finish: 1st
Predicted 2008 Finish: 4th

--

Port Adelaide: Whilst most predicted a rise up the ladder, nobody really expected The Power to be as successful as they were. It was only a few years ago they captured their first AFL Premiership, and yet already, they found themselves right back amongst the big boys. They adopted a very fast style of football, similiar to ours of 2006, however they had the big forwards to help out. White, Tredrea, Westhoff & Lade all spent time up forward whilst Thurstans found his spot in the backline. The Burgoynes had great seasons, whilst Rodan - who they picked up for nothing - was also a very good player in 2007. Unfortunately for them, they were on the wrong side of history as they received the biggest belting EVER in an AFL Grand Final. However, they're a young list with a bright future and should be frothing at the mouth to redeem themselves.
2007 Finish: 2nd
Predicted 2008 Finish: 1st

--

West Coast: From the word go they were under a significant amount of pressure. Having won the Grand Final in 2006, they were again predicted by most to be there on the last day in September. That, combined with the internal problems relating to drugs and their players led to on-going speculation throughout the course of the year. This year they also suffered several injuries to key players, namely Chris Judd. At times, the WCE were without their trio - Judd, Cousins & Kerr - and it proved vital as they suddenly became 'beatable'. Nevertheless, they finished third and made the finals comfortably. Unfortunately for them, injuries kept their superstar trio from having too much of an effect, and thus they exited the 2007 Finals series in straight sets. Going into '08, they are without Judd (Carlton) and Cousins (Delisted & Susp. by AFL).
2007 Finish: 3rd
Predicted 2008 Finish: 7th

--

Kangaroos: The 2007 season provided many success stories and several surprise stories, but none more so than The Kangaroos. Before the first bounce they were widely tipped to finish last. When Thompson went down with an ACL in a pre-season match, the predictions of the 'Roos collecting the spoon appeared likely. However, the Kangaroos once again showed fight & determination as they displayed an incredible will to win. Players such as Petrie, Swallow & Harris had fantastic seasons whilst Archer & Harvey led from the front. McIntosh emerged as one of the best young ruckmen in the competition too, forging a quality duo with David Hale. With a list compiled of mainly younger players, The Kangaroos should be expecting to play Finals again this year.
2007 Finish: 4th
Predicted 2008 Finish: 5th

--

Hawthorn: Along with The Kangaroos & Port Adelaide, Hawthorn were big improvers. They were able to play tough, exciting team football. Their backline remains suspect, but their midfield of Crawford, Mitchell, Lewis & Hodge proved deadly. Up forward, The Hawks had plenty of options as Franklin emerged as a superstar. Roughead established himself as a strong power forward, as Boyle proved more than handy playing as the third tall. With a young list, The Hawks had the ingredients to combat with most sides in the competition. Their midfield was solid and unforgiving, whilst they had plenty of fire power up forward. Down back remained a problem and although Croad had a good season at CHB, they still require another tall defender. In the first week of the finals, The Hawks won a thriller against The Crows after Buddy kicked a beauty from 60m out. The following week, they were out-played by The Kangaroos but make no mistake about it - they're an improving side, and with Williams back in '08, they should challenge.
2007 Finish: 5th
Predicted 2008 Finish: 3rd

--

Collingwood: Every year The Pies genuinely surprise the general public. Collingwood were tipped to finish in the bottom half of the ladder, but all season they managed to impress. Rocca slotted 50+ whilst Cloke stepped out of the shadows to make a real name for himself. Thomas continued to improve whilst Pendlebury also had a fine year. The Pies managed to find two good backmen in Goldsack & O'Brien, as their reputation for developing their younger players would only be further emphasized. Coming into the Finals, they had arguably the toughest draw of all. They had to play off against Sydney - a side that has made the last two Grand Finals. With relative ease, they pulled it off. The following week however, they were required to make a trip west and play off against The Eagles - the '06 Premiers, and a team coming off narrow defeat. The game went into extra time & The Pies escaped victors, firmly establishing themselves as genuine Premiership contenders. In one of the best Preliminary Finals seen, Geelong pipped Collingwood only just. In 2008, The Pies should be a force; a real force.
2007 Finish: 6th
Predicted 2008 Finish: 2nd

--

Sydney: Although they still proved to be a dangerous side, Sydney wern't as effective as they had been in previous years. Hall spent a large majority of the season injured, whilst their shutdown gameplan failed to be executed as well as it was previously. Nevertheless, they still rallied and played well enough to earn a Finals birth but the predicted downslide appears in motion. Although they have a number of quality players - Hall, O'Laughlin, Kirk, Bolton, Kenelly etc. - they're an ageing side. With age comes injury. In 2008, they will be hard pressed to make the finals.
2007 Finish: 7th
Predicted 2008 Finish: 11th

--

Adelaide: Much like Sydney, a downfall was predicted and it certainly occured. The Crows were lucky to make the Finals, relying on their Round 22 win v Collingwood to secure the birth. Whilst they still had a solid backline in Rutten & Bock, a solid midfield in Hudson, Goodwin, Edwards & Van Ber Lo - their biggest problem was scoring. Aside from Welsh, their avenue to goal was hard to identify. With no real target up forward, The Crows struggled several times against quality opposition to score the chocolates. Burton was unable to consistently play good football, whilst the absence of Hentschell (Knee reconstruction) was clearly evident. They too have an ageing list, and will find it tough to feature in this years Finals series. They'll miss Welsh as a goal kicking option - their best over the past few years - and Hudson as their #1 ruck. Combine that with the loss of Roo, and there's big shoes to be filled by kids.
2007 Finish: 8th
Predicted 2008 Finish: 14th

The Bulldogs Bite
07-01-2008, 11:22 PM
--

St. Kilda: They probably underperformed again The Saints, but could be forgiven as they learned to adapt to a new gameplan employed by newly appointed Ross Lyon. Riewoldt had his moments whilst Gehrig as usual bagged a few, but their one paced midfield & shaky defence came undone a few times. Again, The Saints suffered injuries to key players. Despite this, they only just missed out on Finals action by 2 points and should be expected to make amends for that this year. Their depth is ordinary, but with the addition of Schneider & Dempster - plus an injury free year - they could find themselves back up the ladder. As has been the case for the past few years though, they need luck - and it hasn't been on their side for years. They'll miss out because of injuries & lack of depth.
2007 Finish: 9th
Predicted 2008 Finish: 10th

--

Brisbane: Brown had a stellar season, whilst Brennan finally emerged as a player capable of playing at both ends of the ground. This combined with a quality midfield of Black, Adcock & Lappin saw The Lions play exctiting footy. Whilst still being a young list, they get Bradshaw back & they've recruited Johnstone from Melbourne. With further improvement in the younger players, The Lions would be fairly disappointed if they don't end up featuring in this years Finals series. They've got a good midfield, a good ruck duo & the best CHF in the game. Possibly the team to look out for as far as climbing the ladder.
2007 Finish: 10th
Predicted 2008 Finish: 8th

--

Fremantle: Expectations were that Fremantle would finish in the top two and play off in last years Grand Final. They never looked like it. Pavlich was a one man band as the team that made the Preliminary Final in 2006 looked nothing like that of what we saw in 2007. Their midfield is one paced and ageing, whilst their inconsistency tag appears to live on. Harvey being appointed as coach may be a turn for the better, and although it's always hard to predict exactly what Fremantle will do, it's hard to see them challenging. Nevertheless, they should be around the mark for making the 8.
2007 Finish: 11th
Predicted 2008 Finish: 9th

--

Essendon: For much of the year, The Bombers were a genuine chance of playing Finals football. Lloyd, Lucas & Hird led the way as usual and for the first half of the year, it looked likely that The Bombers would again see Finals action. However, their second half of the year trailed off and with about a month to go, Essendon appeared to be out of luck. They've got a young list, an inexperienced midfield and players who are yet to find their feet. With a new coach, the Bombers will be hoping for a change of fortune but the prediction is they'll find it rough in '08.
2007 Finish: 12th
Predicted 2008 Finish: 16th

--

Western Bulldogs: Even in the first half of the year when we were able to win a few games, I never once felt comfortable or satisified with how we were actually playing. The Collingwood & Port Adelaide games were the highlights, but apart from that, there really wasn't too much to smile about. There's no need to go into any great depth about where we went wrong, because most of that's been discussed. The additions of Hudson & Welsh should help balance our list though, as one is a pretty good tap ruckmen who is fantastic at ground level and second efforts, whilst the latter is another forward option capable of kicking 40+ goals. Murphy, Hahn & Aker should all be a lot better than they were too. Cooney, Ray, Griffen, Higgins, Everitt & Williams should all improve too. It's pretty unlikely we'll be pulling off a Geelong of 2007, but there's no reason why we can't and shouldn't be a competitive & dangerous side this year.
2007 Finish: 13th
Predicted 2008 Finish: 6th

--

Melbourne: They dropped right off the face of the earth last year. They almost never recovered from their Round 1 loss to St. Kilda. They should of won that, but they didn't. Had they of come away with the points, I wonder if their season would of been any different? It's all hypothetical to pin the hopes of an entire season on one game but that game seemed to start them off in the worse possible way. Their morale quickly dropped off, they got injuries and before you knew it - the season was over. They injected a number of young players into their list throughout the year, so it'll be interesting to see how they all pull up for the 2008 season. It's another development year for them at this stage.
2007 Finish: 14th
Predicted 2008 Finish: 13th

--

Carlton: They were competitive at various stages of the season, but they still lack genuine quality players. Their backline is weak whilst their midfield is mainly made up of young and inexperienced players. They slowly appear to be assembling a decent side together though, with a few young but promissing midfielders, Judd, and some more younger players. They will NOT play finals football this year, regardless of the fact that they've secured Judd's services. Judd, Fevola, Stevens, Waite, Murphy & 4 or so others are good players but outside of that, they still are either a) lacking quality or b) lacking experience. They'll improve but there's no miracles for the navy blue.
2007 Finish: 15th
Predicted 2008 Finish: 12th

--

Richmond: Last year is one the Tigers will want to forget pretty quickly, as they collected the 2007 wooden spoon. Their back half is dominated by inexperienced kids; Thursfield is promissing but in no way is he ready to hold the best forwards of the competition. Whilst players like Bowden, Raines, Deledio, Foley & Richardson are quality, the Tiges are really lacking outside of that group. They have a bunch of names that have potential, but it's too hard to call whether they'll make it or not. Coughlan & Brown have been seriously injured for the last two seasons and will find it pretty tough to get back into the swing of things. It's likely they won't ever be what they once were. Miller might be saying one thing, but I'm afraid they're only at the beginning of developing.
2007 Finish: 16th
Predicted 2008 Finish: 15th

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Predicted 2008 AFL LADDER:
1. Port Adelaide
2. Collingwood
3. Hawthorn
4. Geelong
5. Kangaroos
6. Western Bulldogs
7. West Coast
8. Brisbane
9. Fremantle
10. St. Kilda
11. Sydney
12. Carlton
13. Melbourne
14. Adelaide
15. Richmond
16. Essendon

Thoughts, opinions, as well as your own predicted ladders?

LostDoggy
07-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Great post. You have too much time on your hands, but its very much appriciated.

I really expect the Lions to make massive ground in 2008 and belive they are serious contenders. They get Bradshaw back to bolster the forwardline. They recuited Johnston. Brown is getting a full PS in. They will be the biggest improvers in 2008. There has been a team that hasnt made the finals to make the top 4 every year for a while or something like that so i expect them to do that and even win the flag. Dont underestimate them.

And to the dogs. Im not putting any expectation on them because every time i do i end up feeling disappointed. Having said that i agree with your points and we should improve with all those youngsters comming through.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Great post. You have too much time on your hands, but its very much appriciated.

A week off work is serving me well, chief.

hujsh
08-01-2008, 02:25 AM
[QUOTE=The Bulldogs Bite;21965]--

Predicted 2008 AFL LADDER:
1. Port Adelaide
2. Collingwood
3. Hawthorn
4. Geelong
5. Kangaroos
6. Western Bulldogs
7. West Coast
8. Brisbane
9. Fremantle
10. St. Kilda
11. Sydney
12. Carlton
13. Melbourne
14. Adelaide
15. Richmond
16. Essendon

I like most of that ladder. I don't think we will finish above WCE. They lost Judd (Counsins was pretty much gone all season so he doesn't count) but they still have Kerr, Priddis, Embley, Selwood and several others. If they can lose players from anywhere it is in the midfield.
And the top 2 is looking a bit crazy to me. Collingwood won't be that good as i believe that
people's opinions have been altered by their prelim performance. They always beat Sydney. WCE were the walking wounded in the extra time. And Geelong had to have that nervous match that would be the perfect time to beat them. They couldn't take their chance because Geelong would always step up a gear when they realized Collingwood was winning by a point or two and subsequently kick 3 goals in quick succession.

Half of Geelong played crap. Collingwood is the best team at keeping in the contest. Cloke even managed to kick straight. And they...lost. Still top 6 not top 2

Port is an acceptable top 2 and i like your reasons for their improvement.

Bulldog Revolution
08-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Great posts TBB

I think the Kangas may go back to the pack this year - I consider them a shot to make the eight. They have a terrific developing ruckman MacIntosh, but they lose the spiritual leader of all spiritual leaders in Archer, and Grant, Simpson and Harvey are another year older. So much of their fortunes is up to Wells - because they dont have that many other dynamic midfield runners. You just know they will give it everything they have, Laidley has me convinced he is a very good coach but I am unconvinced about the player list.

Whilst it would seem the only way is up for Hawthorn I wonder what influence losing Dixon, Smith and Vandenberg from the senior core of the club will have. At times they will be awesome, they have some many emerging young stars, but I dont know about they will produce a season worthy of 3rd although its impossible not to see them in the 8. So I guess all I am arguing about is how high in the eight they will go.

I just cant see Collingwood finishing second. They have some very good young players - Thomas, Pendlebury and Clarke AND really played some great footy in 07 but again they lose Mr Fixit Clement from an already suspect backline, Buckley and Licuria from the day to day leadership of the club. I know they picked up Wood, but Fraser still gets smashed at times in the ruck and they rely heavily on Burns. 2007 was perhaps the finest coaching performance of Mick Malthouses life and I really question whether things could possibly go as well in 2008.

Mantis
08-01-2008, 01:08 PM
^^^

Good post BR.

Agree with your thoughts regarding those 3 teams.

I would add Port to your list of team's that may drop a way a little. I don't know why I just believe that they over-achieved last year. They have a core of 6 topliners who played exceptionally well last year and were helped along by 'unknown' players who improved greatly throughout the season, but I don't think either groups can play as well in 08, but Williams is a great coach so he may well get the best out of the players he has at his disposal once again.

Cyberdoggie
08-01-2008, 01:53 PM
adelaide finishing 14th?

probably not likely,

they are still good enough to win some/most of their home games,
that automatically puts them mid table on the ladder.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-01-2008, 05:02 PM
adelaide finishing 14th?

probably not likely,

they are still good enough to win some/most of their home games,
that automatically puts them mid table on the ladder.

I just can't see Adelaide being capable of kicking big enough scores against quality opposition. I would say there's about 10 or 11 teams with a realistic possibility of playing Finals, most of which either have good midfields or good forward lines. For mine, Adelaide's forward line is going to struggle because they've got no alternative other than to play kids. The ruck stocks are a little limited too. Burton appears to be breaking down whilst McLeod & Edwards aren't getting any younger. If they get a few injuries, they'll be right out of the race IMO.

It's always hard to predict where sides will finish, though. The competition is pretty even. Sides like Brisbane, Fremantle or St. Kilda could surprise and shoot up the ladder whilst Collingwood/Kangaroos/Hawthorn could all drop down for several reasons. When it's this even, it can be hard to sustain the way you play football - particularly if you're a young side (Kangaroos/Hawks).

Feel free to put up your own predicted ladders.

Bulldog Revolution
08-01-2008, 06:44 PM
I just can't see Adelaide being capable of kicking big enough scores against quality opposition. I would say there's about 10 or 11 teams with a realistic possibility of playing Finals, most of which either have good midfields or good forward lines. For mine, Adelaide's forward line is going to struggle because they've got no alternative other than to play kids. The ruck stocks are a little limited too. Burton appears to be breaking down whilst McLeod & Edwards aren't getting any younger. If they get a few injuries, they'll be right out of the race IMO.

It's always hard to predict where sides will finish, though. The competition is pretty even. Sides like Brisbane, Fremantle or St. Kilda could surprise and shoot up the ladder whilst Collingwood/Kangaroos/Hawthorn could all drop down for several reasons. When it's this even, it can be hard to sustain the way you play football - particularly if you're a young side (Kangaroos/Hawks).

Feel free to put up your own predicted ladders.

I think its a fair call on Adelaide - they've lost some very good players, their number 1 ruckman and forward are now with us, plus their captain who whilst not giving them much last year was an undisputed superstar. Most expect them to falter. The competition is even, and of the teams selected outside the 8 by TBB I certainly think Freo, Sydney, St Kilda, Brisbane would finish ahead of them. They still have some very good players Edwards, Goodwin, Burton and McLeod, but they are ageing, very good key defenders in Bock and Rutten, and whilst they have some good kids Van Berlo and Reilly, they have key players coming off knee reconstructions Hentschel and Biglands.

southerncross
08-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Fantastic read TBB.

The Pies and Kangaroos will slide a fair bit as far as I am concerned.
Melbourne and Richmond to fight it out for the wooden spoon.
I can't see the Crows slipping back too far even though I can't see how their list gets the job done.

hujsh
08-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Fantastic read TBB.

The Pies and Kangaroos will slide a fair bit as far as I am concerned.
Melbourne and Richmond to fight it out for the wooden spoon.
I can't see the Crows slipping back too far even though I can't see how their list gets the job done.

Allot of people have said Melbourne but i disagree. I really think that their list is good enough. Their problem is that they have had such bad injuries that half of their list was out injured at one stage