PDA

View Full Version : Pound for Pound he's the best player in the comp

1eyedog
20-03-2017, 05:38 PM
Finally some kudos, sheez.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/03/20/bulldog-terrier-pound-for-pound-the-best-robbo/

https://images.contentful.com/u8w3l566ay8a/5BThIjYOf604qCue8k6ysc/c183d62fc9822a68648c8903dd2c57e0/GettyImages-646971968.jpg?w=980&h=520&fit=fill&f=faces

comrade
20-03-2017, 06:20 PM
Criminally underrated & probably in our top few most important players. Dahl is the epitome of Bevo's prototype: tough, fast, scrappy, creative, selfless.

hujsh
20-03-2017, 06:40 PM
Having lightly built players like Dahl be able to compete and win the contested ball really helps give us pace and agility around the ground. Also applies to guys like Picken

Happy Days
20-03-2017, 07:05 PM
I love Dahl but what a stupid pointless analogy that has no real bearing on the sport. Dangerfield is pound for pound the best because he's the best. Or maybe Crameri because he has the most pounds.

1eyedog
20-03-2017, 07:13 PM
I love Dahl but what a stupid pointless analogy that has no real bearing on the sport. Dangerfield is pound for pound the best because he's the best. Or maybe Crameri because he has the most pounds.

It's not a new analogy. In terms of the best in the comp (Danger / Fyfe) It implies, at least to me, that if Dahl was 6'2 and 90kg he'd probably be (about) the best player in the AFL.

So his height and weight are a limiting factor to him being one of the best.

I don't think Robbo is that far wrong and think the analogy applies. Dahl would be an animal at Fyfe size.

comrade
20-03-2017, 07:18 PM

It's not a new analogy. In terms of the best in the comp (Danger / Fyfe) It implies, at least to me, that if Dahl was 6'2 and 90kg he'd probably be (about) the best player in the AFL.

So his height and weight are a limiting factor to him being one of the best.

I don't think Robbo is that far wrong and think the analogy applies. Dahl would be an animal at Fyfe size.

Get both sides but if Dahl was Fyfe's side he wouldn't be Dahl anymore. Pound for pound is a weird phrase. Let's just accept that he is awesome and leave it at that :D

boydogs
20-03-2017, 09:41 PM
Dahlhaus 78kg, Daniel 71kg

Is Dahlhaus 9.9% better?

Topdog
20-03-2017, 10:05 PM
Good headline, shit article. Where did he get 63kgs from? Also implies that Dahl is not highly skilled.

bornadog
20-03-2017, 11:35 PM
Good headline, shit article. Where did he get 63kgs from? Also implies that Dahl is not highly skilled.

I heard Robbo talking about this live today and he genuinely thinks Dahl is the best player for his size and weight. He said he may not be the best kick in the AFL, but the way he taps the ball forward or handballs it, or kicks after winning the ball makes him a tough competitor. It;s all the little things he does. Froget the 63kgs, he was just emphasizing he wasn't a big bloke.

Ozza
21-03-2017, 10:17 AM
Get both sides but if Dahl was Fyfe's side he wouldn't be Dahl anymore. Pound for pound is a weird phrase. Let's just accept that he is awesome and leave it at that :D

Yep - its a bit of a stretch to apply the terminology to anything outside of combat sports. Especially applying it to a sport that is characterised by having all sorts of shapes and sizes being able to play, and thrive, in the sport.

Twodogs
21-03-2017, 10:23 AM
I heard Robbo talking about this live today and he genuinely thinks Dahl is the best player for his size and weight. He said he may not be the best kick in the AFL, but the way he taps the ball forward or handballs it, or kicks after winning the ball makes him a tough competitor. It;s all the little things he does. Froget the 63kgs, he was just emphasizing he wasn't a big bloke.

Pound for pound is a boxing phrase used to compare boxers across different weight divisions. I agree it's a weird phrase to use in footy.

LostDoggy
21-03-2017, 11:42 AM
Ssssshhhh Robbo.. thats our secret.

Haha, I like Robbos superlatives and enjoyed the passage. I know he can sway in the slightest breeze...

This side has some elite players but its the next rung down, those that are sometimes or almost there that must make us so hard to match up on.