Gold Coast v Brisbane Metricon Stadium 7.25pm

Essendon v Hawthorn MCG 7.25pm

Sunday March 26

North Melbourne v West Coast Etihad Stadium 1.10pm

Adelaide v GWS Adelaide Oval 3.20pm

Fremantle v Geelong Domain Stadium 7.40pm

chef
21-03-2017, 06:46 PM
Looks like a great first round with a number of great match ups.

boydogs
22-03-2017, 02:05 AM
Looks like a great first round with a number of great match ups.

Yep ripping start. Tipping will be impossible, ours and Sydney aside

Ozza
22-03-2017, 11:48 AM
Why are the 4 saturday games played in only 2 time slots? Surely one of the 4:35pm matches could have been played at 2pm?

bornadog
22-03-2017, 12:18 PM
Why are the 4 saturday games played in only 2 time slots? Surely one of the 4:35pm matches could have been played at 2pm?

Gold Coast game starts at 7.05 AEST

aker39
22-03-2017, 01:10 PM

It was to keep that timeslot free for the AFLW Grand Final.

Ozza
23-03-2017, 02:49 PM
Is the AFLW GF on this weekend?

bornadog
23-03-2017, 03:18 PM
is the aflw gf on this weekend?

2017 nab afl women's grand finalsat march 25 12:55 est, ms #aflwgf

Bulldog Joe
23-03-2017, 04:04 PM
The AFL continue with their Thursday season rehearsal match.

Obviously it has worked well for the TV station to fine tune their systems by have a full scale match of little importance between irrelevant teams in Richmond and Carlton. The added bonus for the teams is that one of them starts the year with a win.

TV is then all set for the real season opener on Friday.

Topdog
23-03-2017, 09:44 PM
Yep Carlton still dreadful

GVGjr
23-03-2017, 09:47 PM
Great crowd but from what I've seen the footy is a bit ordinary.

AndrewP6
23-03-2017, 09:55 PM
My mate, a Blues supporter, just sent me a message "Bit of a problem when your number 1 draft pick from last year is your best player"...

hujsh
23-03-2017, 11:05 PM
So looks like this game lived up to the standard we've come to expect each year.

bulldogtragic
23-03-2017, 11:11 PM
So looks like this game lived up to the standard we've come to expect each year.

Keep Dusty quiet, and pressure their back half and employ a decent team defence and Richmond are going to get smacked this year.

bornadog
23-03-2017, 11:17 PM
Gives false hope to Richmond and shows Carlton are wooden spooners -great start to season.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-03-2017, 11:37 PM
Martin was great but did anyone go near him?

Carlton's defending is disgusting.

Twodogs
23-03-2017, 11:43 PM
Richmonds defence is terrible. And they still have too many mids who refuse to do the hard work when the ball goes back the other way and chase and block

Remi Moses
24-03-2017, 12:03 AM
Watched the first half , and both defences resembled thoroughfares .
Battle between 18th and 12th , although I think Richmond will improve ,they won't make the eight.

Remi Moses
24-03-2017, 12:05 AM
Richmonds defence is terrible. And they still have too many mids who refuse to do the hard work when the ball goes back the other way and chase and block

Kicking out of the back 50 is still ordinary to. I think 16 other sides would knock over Carlton .

jeemak
24-03-2017, 12:26 AM
Watched the first half , and both defences resembled thoroughfares .
Battle between 18th and 12th , although I think Richmond will improve ,they won't make the eight.

Making the eight is a tough gig, it's a bit early to tell how good or bad Richmond is in that context after round one. They got the job done really well tonight with some new players in. Relative to who we're playing tomorrow versus who they played tonight, I hope we do the job as strongly.

Seven goal wins in round one are handy no matter what.

comrade
24-03-2017, 12:19 PM
Richmond just have too many plodding B-C graders & it's been that way for years. Grigg, Houli, Hunt, Griffiths, Lloyd, Conca, Astbury, Vlastuin, Ellis, Grimes and McIntosh have all played a fair amount of AFL footy yet I dare say none of them would get a look in at the Dogs and they're all firmly best 22 at the Tigers.

Their top few (Rance, Martin, Riewoldt) are excellent but the cupboard is empty besides.

bornadog
24-03-2017, 06:01 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7qVIpCU8AAlB-5.jpg:large

ledge
25-03-2017, 12:47 PM
Richmond and Carlton was bruise free footy they ran one way and would t run back so once an error was made the other side ran down and kicked a goal , Tigers just made less errors .
Watching our game and comparing both us and the pies with that game bought pressure and tackling . Tigers and Carlton would fall to bits in that style game .

Sedat
25-03-2017, 07:44 PM
Really enjoying the St Kilda implosion. They have been bloody awful.

By contrast Melbourne have been ruthless - very strong and deep midfield.

comrade
25-03-2017, 08:20 PM
Really enjoying the St Kilda implosion. They have been bloody awful.

By contrast Melbourne have been ruthless - very strong and deep midfield.

Melbourne have been given a good list on a platter so I give them no credit for actually getting their shit together. Oliver is a dead set gun and gives their midfield an X factor the Saints just don't have.

Saints are destined for a middle of the road, low end of the 8 finish at best this year, especially if Roo misses plenty of games. Not enough top end talent to compete.

Dry Rot
25-03-2017, 08:33 PM
Thoughts on the Swans game?

chef
25-03-2017, 08:35 PM
Thoughts on the Swans game?

Port were fantastic and just out played them.

chef
25-03-2017, 08:35 PM
Hope Essendon smash the Hawks

ledge
25-03-2017, 09:40 PM
Hope Essendon smash the Hawks

Watching the first qtr their excitement about having the new players back and all the carry on, the adrenalin lasted about 10 minutes since then they been just hanging in there.
If the Hawks beat them it will take a lot of sting out of them that could have carried through the first 5 or 6 games.
They need to win this bigtime

GVGjr
25-03-2017, 09:42 PM
Lions got off to a fast start against the Suns. Hawks holding Essendon

Nice win by Port over the Swans

Daughter of the West
25-03-2017, 11:00 PM
And the drug cheats are going to put away Hawforn. The fawning over the cheats in the commentary is really, really starting to grate.

bulldogtragic
25-03-2017, 11:03 PM
And the drug cheats are going to put away Hawforn. The fawning over the cheats in the commentary is really, really starting to grate.

I used the remote. Anything is better than that.

Eastdog
25-03-2017, 11:04 PM

When we play them hopefully it will be an easy 10 goal win for us. Bont to star and Tom Boyd to kick 5 goals :)

Remi Moses
25-03-2017, 11:39 PM
Great that hawthorn lost , but crap that the Essendon fawning has begun .
They loooked slow, and old . Hope Clarkson gets a bagging if this goes pear shaped . ( dumping Lewis and Mitchell )

bornadog
26-03-2017, 12:20 AM
My tipping is down the shute.

Sedat
26-03-2017, 02:08 AM
We're a strange breed - we clap and cheer the 'fairytale' of convicted dopers returning from their ban moreso than the champion cancer sufferer returning to captain his team.

GVGjr
26-03-2017, 07:28 AM
Melbourne knocking over the Saints in the manner they did could be an ominous sign. As Sedat pointed out earlier their midfield depth is impressive plus they have a bit of height all over the ground.
Mitch Hannan had a good debut for them as well.

GVGjr
26-03-2017, 08:35 AM
It's being reported that Nick Riewoldt hyper-extend his right knee. Apparently it doesn't appear to be an ACL but it could see him miss some time.

Go_Dogs
26-03-2017, 09:25 AM
Melbourne knocking over the Saints in the manner they did could be an ominous sign. As Sedat pointed out earlier their midfield depth is impressive plus they have a bit of height all over the ground.
Mitch Hannan had a good debut for them as well.

They're going to be a tough match up. Still have Hibberd to return to their back half, too.

Quite a few surprising results but it just underlines how even the competition is.

Twodogs
26-03-2017, 11:18 AM

Great that hawthorn lost , but crap that the Essendon fawning has begun .
They loooked slow, and old . Hope Clarkson gets a bagging if this goes pear shaped . ( dumping Lewis and Mitchell )

We're a strange breed - we clap and cheer the 'fairytale' of convicted dopers returning from their ban moreso than the champion cancer sufferer returning to captain his team.

I agree it's sickening but we are all partly to blame. We stood by while WADA went far too hard after the players while they didn't do a thing about the people who were actually to blame-Hird, Robinson, Dank etc. The people who issued the orders.

Topdog
26-03-2017, 01:46 PM
I agree it's sickening but we are all partly to blame. We stood by while WADA went far too hard after the players while they didn't do a thing about the people who were actually to blame-Hird, Robinson, Dank etc. The people who issued the orders.

The athlete is responsible for what goes into his body. WADA didnt go too far at all.

bornadog
26-03-2017, 03:36 PM
Sam Mitchell with 22 disposals at half time

AndrewP6
26-03-2017, 03:43 PM
Just heard, Moz has a broken leg!? Fark I hope this report is wrong. Radio reporting as such, apparently.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-03-2017, 04:06 PM
Just heard, Moz has a broken leg!? Fark I hope this report is wrong. Radio reporting as such, apparently.

Surely no way he has a broken leg. You'd know it. Fractured maybe. Sounds like he'll be missing a fair amount of time though

GVGjr
26-03-2017, 04:54 PM
West Coast have really dealt with North

Remi Moses
26-03-2017, 05:35 PM
Just watching crows v giants and finding it hard to believe a few scribes have the crows not making the eight !
Very impressive second quarter

ledge
26-03-2017, 06:12 PM
This could make all the so called experts look like fools if Adelaide continue this. Johnson might be past it

1eyedog
26-03-2017, 06:13 PM
Just watching crows v giants and finding it hard to believe a few scribes have the crows not making the eight !
Very impressive second quarter

What about the Giants making the Granny?

Roscoe_G
26-03-2017, 06:44 PM
All,

How bad was North today? We've actually degraded from last year's already mediocre levels. Terrible ...!!!

Roscoe

Roscoe_G
26-03-2017, 06:47 PM
West Coast have really dealt with North

We weren't much with which to deal. At least this year Petrie is ineffective for the opposition.

Greystache
26-03-2017, 07:24 PM

Dank got a life ban from all sport. Funnily enough the AFEL tribunal managed to find him guilty of doping everyone except AFEL players.

GVGjr
26-03-2017, 07:26 PM
All,

How bad was North today? We've actually degraded from last year's already mediocre levels. Terrible ...!!!

Roscoe

Not a good sign Roscoe, part of the pain of a reinvigorated playing list I'd suggest

West Coast should be a strong team again this year though

Hotdog60
26-03-2017, 07:28 PM
I didn't see any of the game but gee it was good to see GWS go down. I actually tipped the Crows to get the job done.

GVGjr
26-03-2017, 07:31 PM
I didn't see any of the game but gee it was good to see GWS go down. I actually tipped the Crows to get the job done.

I think the Crows are genuine contenders for the flag this year.

Roscoe_G
26-03-2017, 07:41 PM
Not a good sign Roscoe, part of the pain of a reinvigorated playing list I'd suggest

West Coast should be a strong team again this year though

The greater problem is that I don't think the list is reinvigorated - for example, Higgins and Waite are not players who should be in a rebuild.

GVGjr
26-03-2017, 08:28 PM
The greater problem is that I don't think the list is reinvigorated - for example, Higgins and Waite are not players who should be in a rebuild.

It needs a few more tweaks, it should take another season or two.

1eyedog
26-03-2017, 08:41 PM

You can't afford to have too many inexperienced players in a refresh otherwise the margin today may well have been over 100 points. Waite, Higgins et al. will be required throughout the year to ensure you remain competitive.

You lost enough experience last year including your best player.

Roscoe_G
26-03-2017, 08:48 PM
I appreciate the considered analysis, but given his fragility, Wells was almost certainly never going to a good prospect this year. Waite and Higgins - barring a highly atypical 6 week purple patch last year from Jarrad - have both been terrible. The coach is also lamentable.

When compared to your brilliant side, we are in for a lost 5-10 years.

Roscoe_G
26-03-2017, 08:49 PM
You can't afford to have too many inexperienced players in a refresh otherwise the margin today may well have been over 100 points. Waite, Higgins et al. will be required throughout the year to ensure you remain competitive.

You lost enough experience last year including your best player.

I appreciate the considered analysis, but given his fragility, Wells was almost certainly never going to a good prospect this year. Waite and Higgins - barring a highly atypical 6 week purple patch last year from Jarrad - have both been terrible. The coach is also lamentable.

When compared to your brilliant side and impressive coach, we are in for a lost 5-10 years.

1eyedog
26-03-2017, 08:58 PM
Oh sorry I was talking about Harvey. There is no one of quality to replace Waite or Higgins. Wells is a non-factor and has been for quite a few years in my opinion, mainly due to injuries.

Agree re. the coach.

Roscoe_G
26-03-2017, 08:58 PM
It needs a few more tweaks, it should take another season or two.

Hmm ... a few tweaks, let me see:

Tweak 1: Higgins for Bontempelli;

Tweak 2: Waite for Liberatore; and

Tweak 3: Brad Scott for Luke Beveridge

All ok?

Roscoe_G
26-03-2017, 09:04 PM
Oh sorry I was talking about Harvey. There is no one of quality to replace Waite or Higgins. Wells is a non-factor and has been for quite a few years in my opinion, mainly due to injuries.

Agree re. the coach.

Boomer was a great clubman, but most certainly not our best player. When fit, Wells and Goldstein - and Jack Ziebell - shared that mantle.

How Brad Scott has retained his role for so long is completely beyond me.

bulldogtragic
26-03-2017, 09:09 PM
Hmm ... a few tweaks, let me see:

Tweak 1: Higgins for Bontempelli;

Tweak 2: Waite for Liberatore; and

Tweak 3: Brad Scott for Luke Beveridge

All ok?

Hmm, maybe no sorry... :D

We fortunately/unfortunately need you as low as possible to make the third round exchange for Hrovat mean anything. 37 for 54 would be ideal for Simon Dalrymple, he loves back to back picks.

ledge
26-03-2017, 10:05 PM
Freo look like last years team . Keep the pressure on in your forward line and they will make sure you kick goals. Horrid backline.
Need a huge turn around in the second half or they will be rated in the Carlton and north bracket, wooden spoon material.

Mantis
26-03-2017, 10:43 PM
I think the Crows are genuine contenders for the flag this year.

Have added a bit more pace to the team with the addition of Milera & Hampton and it was an impressive performance with Tex to return.

ledge
26-03-2017, 10:55 PM
Hamling .. Chocolates to boiled lollies team wise.
Hrovat looking much the same as well.

jeemak
26-03-2017, 11:03 PM

TD that's misguided. As Topdog stated it's up to the athlete to control what goes in her body, it's the only way to govern and each and every one of the players who participated got what they deserved.

jeemak
26-03-2017, 11:05 PM

Completely disagree. You'll get more out of the rebuild with players who can help you be competitive being included, especially if there's nobody else on the list who can do what they can.

jeemak
26-03-2017, 11:28 PM
I note our two main competitors are in a world of pain post round one. I'm sure the media will be extremely critical of their poor preparation and 2016 almost success hangover........

westdog54
26-03-2017, 11:29 PM

As Stache rightly pointed out, Dank had been banned for life.

Everyone else was the AFL's problem to deal with and they screwed up royal.

Dry Rot
27-03-2017, 12:16 AM
Just had a look at the ladder. He he he, Giants last.

1eyedog
27-03-2017, 12:43 AM

When compared to your brilliant side, we are in for a lost 5-10 years.

I thought Higgins was excellent for you last year prior to his injury. He was used in the right way up forward and was veey damaging. If Waite kicks straight today he justifys his position in the team. What young player could you bring in that has 8 shots on goal?

Roscoe_G
27-03-2017, 03:12 PM
I thought Higgins was excellent for you last year prior to his injury. He was used in the right way up forward and was veey damaging. If Waite kicks straight today he justifys his position in the team. What young player could you bring in that has 8 shots on goal?

All good points in theory, unfortunately theory is of no use in practice. Jarrad is a poor kick for goal and Higgins got injured. When these guys can consistently deliver to their abilities, I'll be far more positive. I just don't see it in the tea leaves.

LostDoggy
27-03-2017, 10:09 PM
Heard on the radio just before that Waite will be out for about 8 weeks.
Missed what injury he had though.

chef
27-03-2017, 10:21 PM
Shoulder

boydogs
29-03-2017, 10:25 PM

Bit liberal with the "we" there mate

Remi Moses
30-03-2017, 08:59 PM
Think north went to far in the experienced pick ups a few years back .
Mitchell is massive for west coast in he's released the pressure, in particular on priddis
Looked to me like GWS play a little to free reign still. Really like Adelaide