PDA

View Full Version : All The Small Things - Round 1, Vs Collingwood

bulldogtragic
25-03-2017, 01:08 AM
Inspired by Blink 182. As the title alludes, it's not things you've learned or bank or anchor worthy things...

Some great long kicking ending in goals. Cordy with a couple of great set up kicks, and Suckling with a crazy great pass.
I thought Suckers did a few 'tougher' things tonight that last year, he was 50/50 at best at doing.
Bob's Mark at 50, feigns to kick 40m on his right to hit McLean on the chest, but then kicks 40m on his left to hit McLean on the chest.
Seems we've adopted tapping the ball instead of lightening quick handballs to avoid over-umpiring hurting us.

comrade
25-03-2017, 02:33 AM
Inspired by Blink 182. As the title alludes, it's not things you've learned or bank or anchor worthy things...

Seems we've adopted tapping the ball instead of lightening quick handballs to avoid over-umpiring hurting us.

Will have to watch the replay because it was hard to pick up live. I was expecting a torrent of free kicks against us but I thought the game was relatively well umpired.

Speaking of handballs, has there ever been a better exponent than Bont? That one he did on the wing (to Hunter I think) was like a sleight of hand magic trick.

josie
25-03-2017, 02:36 AM
Great pickup Bulldogtragic, I noticed the extra ground level taps (recall Crameri twice, possibly Bonti, Hunter, Dahl, Libber) - all of which ended up going to space with a dogs player running onto it or straight to a dogs player. Seemed like a pre-planned strategy.

bulldogtragic
25-03-2017, 02:37 AM
Will have to watch the replay because it was hard to pick up live. I was expecting a torrent of free kicks against us but I thought the game was relatively well umpired.

Speaking of handballs, has there ever been a better exponent than Bont? That one he did on the wing (to Hunter I think) was like a sleight of hand magic trick.

Yep, at that I said out loud we're the Western Globe Trotters now. All that was needed to finish it off was a spin off the ball on his finger and then dunk it from between his legs.

bulldogtragic
25-03-2017, 02:44 AM
Great pickup Bulldogtragic, I noticed the extra ground level taps (recall Crameri twice, possibly Bonti, Hunter, Dahl, Libber) - all of which ended up going to space with a dogs player running onto it or straight to a dogs player. Seemed like a pre-planned strategy.

Yep. It's ironic that what we did last year was execute a skill really, really well so much so that the AFEL would rather the sublime skills be eliminated from the game, replaced by less skilfully tapping a ball. But that's what they want, so I guess we will do it better than anyone else. I'm pretty sure Cloke did it a few times as I recall Brian Taylor saying he'd had a few important touches that the stat sheet won't pick up. But that's going to possibly be our 2017 legacy, players forgoing stats and instincts to collect the ball to better the team. So match committee won't be stat based on traditional stats this year in particular.

comrade
25-03-2017, 09:25 AM
Yep. It's ironic that what we did last year was execute a skill really, really well so much so that the AFEL would rather the sublime skills be eliminated from the game, replaced by less skilfully tapping a ball. But that's what they want, so I guess we will do it better than anyone else. I'm pretty sure Cloke did it a few times as I recall Brian Taylor saying he'd had a few important touches that the stat sheet won't pick up. But that's going to possibly be our 2017 legacy, players forgoing stats and instincts to collect the ball to better the team. So match committee won't be stat based on traditional stats this year in particular.

The Hawks have been masters of the deft tap for years, especially guys like Rioli, Puopolo & Breust. We definitely looked more Hawthorn-esque than we ever have, whether it was by design or circumstance we'll find out.

It'd be funny if the Hawks went all out with a Bulldogs-lite congestion heavy handball game, and the way to beat it is with the very game plan they've been running with for years.

LostDoggy
25-03-2017, 09:44 AM
Here's a small thing... pretty sure Maclean did not get a head high free!

bornadog
25-03-2017, 10:41 AM
The master of small things is Morris, his blocking, backing into packs, tap ons when he is lying on the ground and just the way he plays is all based on those 1%ers.

always right
25-03-2017, 12:20 PM
A couple of Caleb's taps were sublime and showed his awareness that he was about to be tackled. The one that kick started the passage of play which resulted in JJ snapping a goal was a joy to watch.

ledge
25-03-2017, 01:00 PM
The backman stopping Cox marking was amazing . We had no one to compete with him in the air but somehow we stopped him. We always seem to let one forward loose though .. Jenkins last year , Moore and fasolo in previous games . We target the best forward but let the second best have a day out at times.

chef
25-03-2017, 06:13 PM
Cordys spoil. At a critical time in the game and so small even the commentators couldn't see it. Liked his game.

Bullies
25-03-2017, 07:39 PM
Cordys spoil. At a critical time in the game and so small even the commentators couldn't see it. Liked his game.He is so hard at it. He seems so much stronger in the contest and his tackling and pressure is fantastic. Under rated.

ratsmac
25-03-2017, 09:33 PM
Dale Morris' body spoils. He is brilliant at it. He hardly gives away free kicks even when he is horribly out of position where a lesser player would impede and give away the free.

bornadog
26-03-2017, 12:27 AM
He is so hard at it. He seems so much stronger in the contest and his tackling and pressure is fantastic. Under rated.

Hard to rate by others because he only played his 12th game last night.

Twodogs
26-03-2017, 12:41 AM
A couple of Caleb's taps were sublime and showed his awareness that he was about to be tackled. The one that kick started the passage of play which resulted in JJ snapping a goal was a joy to watch.

We just nudged and pushed and toed and kicked the ball from outside the 50 until we had a two on one contest on the edge of the goal square.

Ozza
26-03-2017, 01:57 PM
Several of Caleb Daniel's tap ons were involved in our scores/best pieces of play for the night.

Torpedo
27-03-2017, 08:37 PM
To me it looks like Zaine Cordy has changed his kicking style. Gets it on to the boot with a different action and its a little quicker. A reaction to being caught out a couple of times in the GF perhaps?

Bulldog Revolution
27-03-2017, 09:33 PM
To me it looks like Zaine Cordy has changed his kicking style. Gets it on to the boot with a different action and its a little quicker. A reaction to being caught out a couple of times in the GF perhaps?

Very promising first half from Cordy - competed well, showed some improved skills, kicking and a left hand, handball

Game 12 - good steps for this premiership player

1eyedog
28-03-2017, 12:27 PM
The backman stopping Cox marking was amazing . We had no one to compete with him in the air but somehow we stopped him. We always seem to let one forward loose though .. Jenkins last year , Moore and fasolo in previous games . We target the best forward but let the second best have a day out at times.

Cox couldn't catch the flu

Ozza
28-03-2017, 12:41 PM

Think I counted 5 times, when watching the replay, that Caleb effectively tapped on to a team mate on the move.
The passage of play you speak about, he started the play with an insane pick up off the ground in traffic, then gets involved again with the tap on to Jong who in turn releases Dahlhaus. Brilliant.