PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 2 2017 vs Sydney Swans

Eastdog
25-03-2017, 09:33 PM
This is the round 2 2017 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Sydney Swans is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players or purely just individual players or individual aspects.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
31-03-2017, 10:51 PM
3 Bankers and 3 Anchors

bulldogtragic
31-03-2017, 11:32 PM
B:

Cloke. Kicked goals himself, and freed others to kick goals. Exactly what we are paying minimum wage for. Thanks Nafan B.
Jong. One of his best afl games.
Roberts. Did some very good things, and Buddy will always kick a few.

A:

Umpiring. Just crap.
Sam Reid joining the long line of not the greatest talls dining out on us.
Letting them back in.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
31-03-2017, 11:55 PM
Bankers
Libba - 16 tackles... didn't even notice him. Ultimate team man
Picken - has there ever been a player so late in his career redefine himself so completely?
Bont - irrepressible, like a freight train, just unstoppable force once in motion.

A
Crameri - the only one of our guys who didn't have a moment.
Umpiring -we were the beneficiaries mostly and it detracted from the contest.
stopping late in the 3rd when we could've put them to the sword.

comrade
01-04-2017, 12:48 AM
Bankers

1. Adams made a successful come back. Played to his strength but damn man, let others play the finesse game. Just get the ball and kick it as hard and as far as you can.
2. Picken is just an absolute star. That gut run at the end to set up Bont was like a dagger in the Sydney heart.
3. Suckling was utilised well tonight and his disposal was critical in escaping some tight moments down back.

Anchors

1. Crammers is miles off the pace. Understandable but time to unleash Clay.
2. The game seems to be getting a little quick for Matty Boyd. Made some odd decisions and that daisy cutter to Tom Boyd was Matty Boyd at his worst. Bit of a concern.
3. Surprised that Campbell scored so many fantasy points, I thought he was a liability. Dropped marks, gave away a silly free to Reid. Might be a tad harsh and will need to re-watch but on first viewing, I thought he struggled.

bulldogtragic
01-04-2017, 12:54 AM
Extra Anchor:

Apparently best case is Roughy back by Round 8. Apparently our gun surgeon has never had to do the exact surgery (3 different tears I think Bevo said) as Roughy loves to injure himself in new ways to challenge our medicos.

westbulldog
01-04-2017, 01:14 AM
B
1. The parade to unfurl the Premiership flag led by Irene Chatfield with Chris Grant (341 games with only the Dogs) and Rohan Smith (300 games only with the Dogs) carrying the cup, perhaps something for JJ to ponder.
2. Bob Murphy, how good is it to see his skills again.
3. Jake Stringer's 2 running goals.

A.
1. Bewildering umpiring for both teams.
2. Stewart Crameri had no influence at all.
3. Zac Jones for his late and high hit on Cloke, take a holiday Zac.

Ozza
01-04-2017, 01:46 AM
Bankers:

The Bont - we've never had anyone quite like him. When Buddy's brilliance put them in front, I turned to the old man and said 'Let's see what the Bont can do now"....and he delivered instantaneously. Just wills himself on the game when we need it the most.
Stringer - similar to the Bont in that he saves his best for when the game is on the line. 2 of his 3 goals were freak show stuff - bursting away from traffic and kicking snags from well outside 50.
Picken - the play where he cleared from defence and ended up setting up the goal 10 seconds later just sums him up.

Anchors:

The Umpiring - I'm not an umpire basher. We have had an unbelievably favourable run from them in the last year and a bit. But when the holding the balls are paid like they were tonight and when they are pinging Callum Mills for the deliberate rushed - I don't know what to think - but I obviously don't know what game it is anymore or what the rules are. Stumped.

Crameri - awfully out of touch. Putting it down to "Second up off of a big spell". Hopefully better next week, but would prefer Dunkley or Smith.

Don't really have a third - I thought it was a very good game, and I imagine it looked amazing on TV with Franklin, Bonti, Stringer etc all putting on a bit of display.

Ozza
01-04-2017, 01:48 AM
3. Zac Jones for his late and high hit on Cloke, take a holiday Zac.

Was it that late and high?

I haven't watched it back yet - only saw it live, so am only going by that - but my initial reaction was that I thought Jones was already in the air and was very stiff to have a 50m paid against him.

comrade
01-04-2017, 01:52 AM
Was it that late and high?

I haven't watched it back yet - only saw it live, so am only going by that - but my initial reaction was that I thought Jones was already in the air and was very stiff to have a 50m paid against him.

Jones was in the air, but instead of trying to spoil, he tucked the elbow in with the intention to smash Cloke down the middle.

bornadog
01-04-2017, 02:07 AM
Bankers

1. Tom Boyd - what a mark

2. Suckling - what a goal

3. Stringer - what a goal from inside the square.

Anchors

1. Missed set shots - I think we missed at least 6 set shots

2. Inaccurate kicks across the ground (Murphy and Adams) resulting in turnovers and direct goals.

3. Food and drink quality and increased prices - Bloody AFL owned now and it is just a disgrace.

AndrewP6
01-04-2017, 02:12 AM
Bankers

1. Adams looked good.
2. Clokey showing that he in fact, CAN kick goals.
3. Bont for reading WOOF at the main break, and showing some of his best.

Anchors

1. Crammers - love his game, but might need a week's spell.
2. The team for giving me heart palpitations coughing up that lead.
3. The Bulldogs membership booth at Gate 5, not opening till nearly 6pm, and having steps at the front. I lost my card last week, it was handed in by some kind soul, and I had to retrieve it pre-game. Spent half an hour waiting.

G-Mo77
01-04-2017, 02:36 AM
Anchors

Citylink closing off to entrances and could not find a way back. Bloody ruined my night trying to find a way home. Now it's too late to post on Woof. I'll be back in the morning.

Eastdog
01-04-2017, 03:54 AM
3. Food and drink quality and increased prices - Bloody AFL owned now and it is just a disgrace.

Hopefully soon the prices will change. I had something for dinner before the game outside of Etihad and thought I have some time after coming in from work.

Daughter of the West
01-04-2017, 09:15 AM
Bankers:

1. Liam Picken, especially in the last. Didn't let the horrible missed set shot get to him either
2. Lin Jong, took some fabulous grabs - keep up the good work
3. The Bont, just sublime when he turned it on. And sporting a new hairdo too, I like it!

Special banker to a girlfriend who was there with her 5 year old, 3 year old and 3 month old and managed to convert her husband across from the drug cheats last season. It was his birthday last night and she had convinced all the family to come round on Thursday, just so they could all go to the footy last night!

Anchors

1. Goal kicking inaccuracies. Bad kicking is bad football.
2. The umpiring - it shouldn't have to be talked about. We shouldn't notice it if it's done properly.
3. Trains on the Craigieburn Line - no train for more than AN HOUR after the game, WTF?!? Luckily, I had other options, but I feel for anyone who didn't especially with young kids.

westdog54
01-04-2017, 09:39 AM
Bankers

Cloke: hasn't taken long to silence his critics. Outstanding presence last night.
Bontempelli: was quite literally everywhere last night. Had impact all over the ground.
Jong: I'd forgotten how good he was overhead.

Anchors:

The Etihad surface: We're two weeks into the season and the goalsquares look like Williamstown beach.
Crameri: looked a mile off it last night.
I'm worried about Tom Campbell. His tap-work was haphazard, his stools around the grounds were terrible and his decision making is scary even by Ruckman standards. Just a dirty night all round in what was supposed to be a chance to cement a place in the side.

ratsmac
01-04-2017, 09:40 AM
Some good Bankers and Anchors already!

Bankers

1. Jong played a beauty. If he plays like that every week players like Wallis and Dunkley will struggle to break in.
2. Cloke. Exactly the reason we took a gamble on him. He takes the opposition's best big defender and kicks a few goals as well. Perfect!
3. Libba - 100 games and put in a real workman's effort. 16 tackles is a superb effort.

Anchors

1. Crameri - he struggled to find any fluency tonight. It will come but most likely via Footscray.
2. Free kick count. 31 - 18 our way. This gives them another flimsy excuse for losing. Over officiated IMO.
3. Nope, I've got nothing else....

lemmon
01-04-2017, 09:41 AM
Bankers-
-Adams and Fletch. Proved to be a really nice duo last night. I think they complement each other nicely.
-Jong- Up there with his best game for the club
-Ashley Hansen- Last year we couldn't score, this year we can't stop. New forward coach deserves a heap of credit

Anchors-
-Crammers- I like his physicality around the ball but he's not doing enough at the moment
-Sam Reid- goes into the list of average key forwards kicking bags on us
-Floggish Swans supporters that couldnt name 3 players who aren't Buddy

kruder
01-04-2017, 10:24 AM
Great to hear the positive comments on Adams. I didn't get to see the game but after 6 months out wanting to go home and JLT you don't loose your talent. His first month was exceptional last year one of the better pics Daly has made considering our need for key position back at the time.

SlimPickens
01-04-2017, 11:06 AM
Bankers-
Adams- the form changes between the JLT and season proper is staggering.

Cloke- loving having a genuine CHF, gave us some options up in the wings but also deep forward.

Picken- that run from defensive 50, to provide an option up forward is why he is the first picked every week.

Anchors
Lachlan Hunter- FOR *!*!*!*! SAKE LACHLAN, KICK THE BLOODY THING IN THE AIR. Dunstalls head may very well explode on Sunday night.

Centre clearances- smashed for most of the night again. Needs to be addressed.

Sydney Supporters- particularly the two young fellas in front of me. Feel free to stand a clap a goal but if you continually do it every time the swans got a free, well you're just jerks. Special mention to the old duck who had a crack at me for shouting for a throw free kick.

G-Mo77
01-04-2017, 11:17 AM
Bankers

Adams. had my doubts and played a really strong game last night

Jong. Let himself down a couple of times but overall what a good game he put together.

Umpires. Holding the ball is actually being paid. Stop canning them for it.

Special mention: Unfurling the flag. I didn't think I had many tears left. I was mistaken.

Anchors

Not much. Citylink as mentioned before. Probably not their fault but my inability to find a different route ruined my night.

Unforced errors were very costly

EasternWest
01-04-2017, 11:53 AM
Bankers

3. Suckling was utilised well tonight and his disposal was critical in escaping some tight moments down back.

Great point. Suckling showed everything tonight that validated picking him up. Even held his own in some 50/50 contests which is my biggest criticism of him.

Bankers

Stringer and that goal. Sometimes Stringer tries to do to much and gets caught, but I don't mind so much. I'd rather him have the confidence to back himself in. I thought his work rate was excellent tonight, and that goal. Wowee.

2. Bob nailing that goal. What a moment.

1. Picken coast to coast gut run. If that doesn't inspire you as a team-mate then you're dead inside.

Anchors

3. Crameri looks understandably rusty. I imagine Clay Smith would be raring to go. Not sure what the best course of action is.

2. We still failed to put the Swans away in the third when we were dominating the game. If we'd gone into the fourth 40-50 up like we should have been, the game would have been effectively over.

1. Kicking at Tom Boyd's ankles. Sometimes we do him absolutely no favours.

On a second note, I have no idea what Aliir's contract status is, but I'd be looking at him very closely. He is a class act.

Remi Moses
01-04-2017, 01:04 PM
B- Adams was excellent . Copped a bit of flak for his awful pre-season form, but forgotten that he basically hadn't played for 12 months .
Picken is the heart and soul of our team
To be able to the answer the significant challenge twice . We have enough players unfulfilled to not have the flag hangover
A- Longmire, and his moaning over umpiring . He should be a bit more worried about the form of a few of his stars, and his teams lack of outside run .
Got no other anchors, as it was such a special night .We did need our famous home ground breeze to get that flag to flutter

G-Mo77
01-04-2017, 01:22 PM
B- Adams was excellent . Copped a bit of flak for his awful pre-season form, but forgotten that he basically hadn't played for 12 months .
Picken is the heart and soul of our team
To be able to the answer the significant challenge twice . We have enough players unfulfilled to not have the flag hangover
A- Longmire, and his moaning over umpiring . He should be a bit more worried about the form of a few of his stars, and his teams lack of outside run .
Got no other anchors, as it was such a special night .We did need our famous home ground breeze to get that flag to flutter

He didn't real moan about the frees though did he more so he needed his team to improve, maybe it was discreetly taking a whack. Surprised he questioned the deliberate one though.

merantau
01-04-2017, 02:00 PM
Bankers.

Adams under heavy pressure a couple of times executed well
2. Jong's best game for a while. Courageous and good overhead
3. Our class acts were very classy when we needed them to perform.
Anchors.
1. Letting them back in, though to be fair it was sheer brilliance by Franklin.
2. Our work at centre bounces. Two weeks running, we've been outplayed.
3. The train back to Bendigo did not leave until 11.08, was very slow. Got home at 1.30. Had to get up at 3.30 and go to work. Knackered but happy!

Remi Moses
01-04-2017, 07:05 PM
He didn't real moan about the frees though did he more so he needed his team to improve, maybe it was discreetly taking a whack. Surprised he questioned the deliberate one though.

He mentioned something about the opposition holding the ball decisions in comparison to his team .
No so subtle whinge in the John Kennedy style

1eyedog
01-04-2017, 07:21 PM
Bankers

1. Tom Boyd - what a mark

2. Suckling - what a goal

3. Stringer - what a goal from inside the square.

Anchors

1. Missed set shots - I think we missed at least 6 set shots

2. Inaccurate kicks across the ground (Murphy and Adams) resulting in turnovers and direct goals.

How did you view Adams' game BAD? You've been a skeptic.

bornadog
01-04-2017, 11:18 PM
How did you view Adams' game BAD? You've been a skeptic.

He was good in patches but also made some shocking mistakes. Let's see how he goes. We have very little options in the tall defender department.

Sedat
02-04-2017, 01:11 AM
He mentioned something about the opposition holding the ball decisions in comparison to his team .
No so subtle whinge in the John Kennedy style
In terms of how hot the umps were on HTB in our match (for both teams) compared to the far looser interpretations in today's matches, I reckon Longmire has a point this time. Consistency in application is definitely lacking at present. I personally like how our match was umpired with regard to being far stricter on HTB and incorrect disposal - the endless mauls are a blight on the game and quicker whistles will remove the ugly congestion.

jeemak
02-04-2017, 01:44 AM
In terms of how hot the umps were on HTB in our match (for both teams) compared to the far looser interpretations in today's matches, I reckon Longmire has a point this time. Consistency in application is definitely lacking at present. I personally like how our match was umpired with regard to being far stricter on HTB and incorrect disposal - the endless mauls are a blight on the game and quicker whistles will remove the ugly congestion.

Longmire's issue was he used it to suggest his side was hampered by the stricter interpretation unfairly. Having just watched the replay, yes it was tight on the Swans, but it was also tight on us. We're just more disciplined and better in close than Sydney are. We're the best ever in that regard and can't be compared to any team ever to have played the game when it comes to work in close.

Like you I appreciate the stricter approach. I can't wait for it to be enforced more thoroughly whilst we're ahead of the curve.

always right
02-04-2017, 03:35 PM
B
Jong was terrific and his errors are overstated. Hunter makes similar errors and nobody mentions them.
Fletcher Roberts.....two rock solid games in a row.
Picken.....the Swans are his bitch.

A
Crameri under the pump at the moment. Hopefully back to form next week.
Toyd continues to drop easy chest marks.
All the hullabaloo over the deliberate rushed behind. I like the suggestion that the penalty be changed to a behind and a bounce at the top of the square. It would take all the heat out of the argument.

Bullies
02-04-2017, 03:59 PM
Bankers

1. Adams made a successful come back. Played to his strength but damn man, let others play the finesse game. Just get the ball and kick it as hard and as far as you can.
2. Picken is just an absolute star. That gut run at the end to set up Bont was like a dagger in the Sydney heart.

Anchors

1. Crammers is miles off the pace. Understandable but time to unleash Clay.
2. The game seems to be getting a little quick for Matty Boyd. Made some odd decisions and that daisy cutter to Tom Boyd was Matty Boyd at his worst. Bit of a concern.
3. Surprised that Campbell scored so many fantasy points, I thought he was a liability. Dropped marks, gave away a silly free to Reid. Might be a tad harsh and will need to re-watch but on first viewing, I thought he struggled. I think that is why the club was hoping Matty Boyd would retire at the end of the last year even though he was All Australian. Hoping it is his injury but I agree he needs to show a bit more.

Eastdog
02-04-2017, 04:05 PM
Bankers

1. Cloke - huge highlight and kicked a couple which was great to see. Is fitting in well.
2. Picken - what can't he do
3. Jong - good game took some great marks

Anchors

1. Letting them back in at the start of the last term
2. The umpiring at times - while we got the free to Picken from that deliberate rushed behind ruled it has to be reviewed - wouldn't want that to be paid against us in an important part of the ground and game.
3. Picken miss in the final term

Flamethrower
02-04-2017, 05:50 PM
Bankers....

1. Liam Picken - looks unfashionable but has courage and heart in abundance.
2. Our football club - unfurling of the pennant was excellent and respectful, without rubbing it in to the opposition.
3. John Longmire - for not playing Sam Reid in the Grand Final.

Anchors...

1. John Longmire - for his continual bleating about the officials.
2. The complaing about the free kick against Mills - read the AFL release regarding this rule - it describes the Mills action to a tee as an example of what is a free kick.
3. Brian Taylor - Tommy Boyd takes a hanger and you call him Bontempelli - the poor commentary ruined the moment on TV.

1eyedog
02-04-2017, 05:53 PM
Bankers....

2. Our football club - unfurling of the pennant was excellent and respectful, without rubbing it in to the opposition.

Anchors...

2. The complaing about the free kick against Mills - read the AFL release regarding this rule - it describes the Mills action to a tee as an example of what is a free kick.
3. Brian Taylor - Tommy Boyd takes a hanger and you call him Bontempelli - the poor commentary ruined the moment on TV.

He stuffed a few. When we should have enjoyed the replay of that mark over and over as Boyd! We get Bontempelli. Unprofessional early trigger pulling. Another was when BT was waffling on to Lingy and Jake bursts out of congestion and kicks a ripper and BT trips over his mo trying to catch up.

Watch the game man.

boydogs
02-04-2017, 07:26 PM
All the hullabaloo over the deliberate rushed behind. I like the suggestion that the penalty be changed to a behind and a bounce at the top of the square. It would take all the heat out of the argument.

Great way to kill the last minute if you're 5 points up

jeemak
02-04-2017, 07:35 PM
Great way to kill the last minute if you're 5 points up

Pretty risky strategy I would have thought.

Sedat
02-04-2017, 09:45 PM
He stuffed a few. When we should have enjoyed the replay of that mark over and over as Boyd! We get Bontempelli. Unprofessional early trigger pulling. Another was when BT was waffling on to Lingy and Jake bursts out of congestion and kicks a ripper and BT trips over his mo trying to catch up.

Watch the game man.
Just a standard issue day at the office for that shitstain network Ch 7

comrade
02-04-2017, 09:54 PM
Just got around to watching the replay. Gonna throw an anchor Cameron Ling's way. What a sour ***** he can be. He sounded like your typical BF troll with the amount of whinging he did about umpiring decisions.

Adds absolutely nothing to the broadcast and has to be one of the least talented performers in the entirety of the footballing media...and that is saying something.

Sedat
02-04-2017, 09:59 PM
Just got around to watching the replay. Gonna throw an anchor Cameron Ling's way. What a sour ***** he can be. He sounded like your typical BF troll with the amount of whinging he did about umpiring decisions.

Adds absolutely nothing to the broadcast and has to be one of the least talented performers in the entirety of the footballing media...and that is saying something.
A quintessential ch 7 media performer - the bolded bit is a prerequisite for joining their team.

AndrewP6
02-04-2017, 10:31 PM

It occurred to me, watching that replay, just how many times he uses the word "special"... Did it in the GF too.

jeemak
02-04-2017, 11:50 PM

Mate, I wanted to post the exact thing after watching the replay last night but got side tracked. He's just another Geelong person who doesn't rate us because they've had it over us for so long.

ratsmac
03-04-2017, 12:47 AM
Mate, I wanted to post the exact thing after watching the replay last night but got side tracked. He's just another Geelong person who doesn't rate us because they've had it over us for so long.

It's OK, they're on borrowed time! We will have their measure very soon.

ratsmac
03-04-2017, 12:53 AM
Bankers....

Anchors...

He's something else. To think he fractured his check bone about a month ago and needed surgery. He puts his body in harms way for the team with no second thoughts. Opposition players must worry for their own safety when he's around the contest.

always right
03-04-2017, 02:03 PM

Ling has been criticised for sitting on the fence too much. I suspect he is now making a conscious decision to be more forthright and definitive. Unfortunately he is full of shit.