PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 3 2017 vs Fremantle

Eastdog
25-03-2017, 09:35 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 3 2017 match against Fremantle at Domain Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
31-03-2017, 10:50 PM
Long trip. Do we need some changes?

bulldogtragic
31-03-2017, 11:28 PM
Good team effort. The only one in contention is Crameri.

Smith, Dunkley & McLean for consideration.

Hotdog60
31-03-2017, 11:49 PM
Do you leave the old guys at home?

bornadog
31-03-2017, 11:53 PM
No change

Mantis
01-04-2017, 12:04 AM
Can't see how we play Crameri next week, just a non factor.

Also not sure on M.Boyds role, got a bit of the ball, but they had no positive impact.

GVGjr
01-04-2017, 12:06 AM

Also not sure on M.Boyds role, got a bit of the ball, but they had no positive impact.

They both stood out to me as potential outs

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-04-2017, 12:15 AM
As much as Crameri was the only player tonight not to have a moment, I think he's vital to get back in form. Perth trip for him for mine.
M. Boyd, let's rest him for either Dunkley or Smith, to improve our grunt inside.

GVGjr
01-04-2017, 12:36 AM
YHF, I think he is unbalancing the side at the moment and if there is a Footscray practice game I'm hoping he can do what Adams and Campbell did and regain some form.

I also don't think Daniels is playing all that well at the moment.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-04-2017, 01:05 AM
Concerning signs on Boyd if we're being honest. Looks much slower by mind and foot and disposal awful.

Daniel teetering on being dropped. Doesn't look the same player at the moment, lacking composure and making poor decisions.

Crameri no influence and looks well off the pace, but given the expanses of Domain I'm leaning towards giving him one more.

bulldogtragic
01-04-2017, 01:12 AM

Yep, I'm a bit confused. The 'flexible' mantra is a good one, rotating Bob & JJ around etc. But Boyd doesn't have that flexibility in that the nearly crippling issues he faced before his move to the HBF resurface again when he is but back into the mid/forward areas. He's almost the least effective flexible player. I'm interested to see what's in store for him when the coaches look at his output and impact so far.

westbulldog
01-04-2017, 01:17 AM
Dunkley for Crameri.

1eyedog
01-04-2017, 01:19 AM
I thought Boydy has had a solid start to the year. Was excellent last week with 26 touches and a goal.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-04-2017, 01:27 AM
YHF, I think he is unbalancing the side at the moment and if there is a Footscray practice game I'm hoping he can do what Adams and Campbell did and regain some form.

I also don't think Daniels is playing all that well at the moment.

I don't disagree and i also think he may benefit from a run with Footscray. But i also think he is someone who is a very difficult match up who could just as easily find form next week in the firsts as he could at Footscray.
His presence makes it a real nightmare choice for opposition coaches in trying to find a match up for both him and Stringer.
But there is no doubt he stands out as a non contributor right now and is clearly in the frame for a spell.
I'd be inclined to give him one more week.
We do need more grunt in the coal face though. Maybe Smith or Dunkley for M. Boyd or Daniel.
I don't think Boyd has been poor. But a rest may be good, and we can cover his role.

1eyedog
01-04-2017, 01:29 AM
I'm good with bringing Smith in for Boyd even though Boyd has been pretty good. I'd consider Cordy for Smith / Dunkley as well.

Ozza
01-04-2017, 01:58 AM
Broken record I know...but in the last 2 seasons - every time Matt Boyd missed a senior game, we have lost. I think his smarts and being in the right place at the right time to shut down the opposition, often goes unnoticed.

On form, for me Crameri is the only question mark for now. But I'm sure there will be a player or two that they will turnover to keep the senior side fresh. I might be way off - but I'm also not sure we would go in quite so tall against Freo at Subiaco - think we may look to get another good athlete/runner into the side.

Go_Dogs
01-04-2017, 08:27 AM
Crameri out for Dunkley.

Crammers is just struggling a little at the moment, and Dunkley with his size and ability to rotate up the ground as well as forward see him as my preferred in.

KT31
01-04-2017, 11:00 AM
I would give Crameri another run, either of Smith/Dunkley for Daniel.

Bulldog4life
01-04-2017, 11:06 AM
Crameri out for Smith for me. You just have to look back at last year's finals to remember how good Smith is and he kicks goals too unlike Crameri at the moment.

soupman
01-04-2017, 11:28 AM
Crameri was the worst, involved a lot but never ceanly. Was often the last player to be tackled before a ball up. He stays in the side for mine though, he needs the touch and his tank will be really valuable in WA.

M Boyd stays as well, he was decent last night and is important to our structure.

Campbell was poor but there is no natural replacement and he is still regaining form.

I wouldn't mind playing another small though, to help cope with the bigger ground. Cordy is the most vulnerable of the tall's, so could see him going out for someone better at covering ground. Like Webb or Dale.

Daniel has also started the year poorly and could be in contention to be dropped, but i consider this unlikely.

Ozza
01-04-2017, 11:49 AM
Crameri was the worst, involved a lot but never ceanly. Was often the last player to be tackled before a ball up. He stays in the side for mine though, he needs the touch and his tank will be really valuable in WA.

M Boyd stays as well, he was decent last night and is important to our structure.

Campbell was poor but there is no natural replacement and he is still regaining form.

I wouldn't mind playing another small though, to help cope with the bigger ground. Cordy is the most vulnerable of the tall's, so could see him going out for someone better at covering ground. Like Webb or Dale.

Daniel has also started the year poorly and could be in contention to be dropped, but i consider this unlikely.

Bevo said in the presser he thought Caleb played well.

Regarding TC - sounds like Bevo thought his disposal/decision making was poor, but sounded like he gave him a bit of a "better for the run" rating.

Happy Days
01-04-2017, 01:38 PM
I'd drop Crameri too. The forward mix just doesn't seem right with him, Cloke, Stringer and Boyd. Cloke and Crameri are pretty much exclusively forward 50 players, meaning Stringer has to play longer stints in the midfield than I'd like. I think he's more effective with short bursts in there, rather as the extra rotation that he's playing as at the moment. Would look to drop one of them for an extra mid (Dunkley or Smith), and the one to drop is Crameri.

Not close to dropping Boyd or Daniel. Seems like fear of inertia to do so.

The Doctor
01-04-2017, 02:47 PM
Clay Smith for Crameri is a no brainer for me.

Sedat
01-04-2017, 02:51 PM
I think the value of Crammers will be really evident at the long and narrow confines of Subiaco where his gut-running between the arcs will be heavily required. He really does look a step off the pace but I am confident he'll run into form sooner rather than later.

lemmon
01-04-2017, 03:44 PM
Will we need all of Cordy, Adams and Fletch against Freo? It's a chance to get another runner in for me.

I'd hang onto Crammers too, Subi should suit him and he deserves some time after a year off.

Out- Cordy
In- Clay

Jam Donuts
01-04-2017, 05:51 PM
Out Daniel
Out M. Boyd

In Smith
In Maclean

merantau
01-04-2017, 06:45 PM
There is no way M. Boyd will lose his spot. I don't think there will be any change this week but Stewart Crameri has to step up because there are just too many good players who can't get a look in at the moment.

Topdog
01-04-2017, 07:46 PM
Yeah all aboard the Crammeri drop train. Happy for him to go back and get some form in the VFL practice match

bornadog
01-04-2017, 11:11 PM
Yeah all aboard the Crammeri drop train. Happy for him to go back and get some form in the VFL practice match

Often players out for a long period start the first game back really well then drop away in their second game. Crameri needs match practise to get back into the swing of things.

1eyedog
02-04-2017, 08:55 AM
Often players out for a long period start the first game back really well then drop away in their second game. Crameri needs match practise to get back into the swing of things.

Most if not all of the other Bombres players are playing well

The Underdog
02-04-2017, 08:59 AM
There is no way M. Boyd will lose his spot. I don't think there will be any change this week but Stewart Crameri has to step up because there are just too many good players who can't get a look in at the moment.

It wouldn't be the first time M Boyd didn't make the trip to Perth. I wouldn't be completely surprised purely on the old guy avoiding a long flight basis if he doesn't go. Also only a 6 day turnaround to Good Friday

The Underdog
02-04-2017, 09:02 AM

I thought Crameri actually worked his way into the Collingwood game and was pretty good by the end. He was poor against the Swans but I wonder if part of keeping him in would be more around continuing to get everyone used to this forward set-up.

Bullies
02-04-2017, 04:07 PM
As much as Crameri was the only player tonight not to have a moment, I think he's vital to get back in form. Perth trip for him for mine.
M. Boyd, let's rest him for either Dunkley or Smith, to improve our grunt inside.Agree. This is the best ground for Crameri to get some touch. Open spaces to run. Agree that M Boyd could do with a spell.

1eyedog
02-04-2017, 09:19 PM
Don't get the calls for Boyd to be dropped. He's been good both games and has only played two of them. He's not cooked and is making solid contributions. Why mess with it?

chef
02-04-2017, 09:22 PM
Hes also coming off an AA season. Bevo aint dropping him.

bulldogtragic
02-04-2017, 09:38 PM
Hamling must be looking forward to this week. Tom Boyd, Cloke or Stringer...

GVGjr
02-04-2017, 09:54 PM
Don't get the calls for Boyd to be dropped. He's been good both games and has only played two of them. He's not cooked and is making solid contributions. Why mess with it?

I don't think anyone is saying that he's cooked. Clearly he deserved to be on the list this year based on last years performances.
I'm not sure I rate his performances so far as highly as you do though.

I think the question on his selection for next week hinges more around 3 things:
1) the travel given we ideally like to rest our senior players
2) his form which hasn't been great
3) the likes of Suckling and Murphy coming back into the side meaning we have a number of mid sized defender

He probably won't be dropped but I think the MC should at least discuss it.

comrade
02-04-2017, 10:07 PM
Gut feel is we have too many mid sized/small defenders: Suckling, Bob, JJ, Biggs & Boyd.

I'd prefer another player that can provide genuine midfield minutes which would probably help even out the clearance numbers. My preference is Smith based on his finals output but can see is giving Dunkley a crack. I also think McLean can play as an extra mid eventually.

1eyedog
02-04-2017, 10:53 PM
I don't think anyone is saying that he's cooked. Clearly he deserved to be on the list this year based on last years performances.

I think the question on his selection for next week hinges more around 3 things:
3) the likes of Suckling and Murphy coming back into the side meaning we have a number of mid sized defender

Thought he was great against the Pies with his 26 disposal 1 goal game and solid against the Swans. Why would he need to be rested he's only played 2 games? If he'd played 6 in a row and was faced with a trip to Perth it might be understandable.

It's not like I'm talking him up but the amount of posters calling for him to be dropped raises questions. He's been solid, doing his job and we are only two games in so the question needs to be asked.

The Underdog
03-04-2017, 09:25 AM
Crameri due for his 100th game this week adds a little wrinkle.

Rocco Jones
03-04-2017, 09:26 PM
Matty Boyd has had 7 score involvements in both our games. He hasn't been great but definitely best 22 IMO. We have a lot of HB types but they are rotating more this season. Bob looks more of a forward this year and it's a great way to release JJ who can get bogged down at HBF at times.

Crameri was very poor last game but suits Subi. I would give him one more week.

LostDoggy
03-04-2017, 09:53 PM
No change

chef
03-04-2017, 09:56 PM
Out Kram In Smith

Nuggety Back Pocket
03-04-2017, 11:08 PM

The bigger problem is going to be the non selection of Clay Smith, Dunkley and now McLean, which other teams will be keen to make a move on given their latent talent. I would be more than happy to see one of those three replace Crameri, who is struggling having missed the past 12 months of football. Without Morris in defence and with Murphy playing more forward we do need MBoyd's experience down back to support the likes of Roberts and Cordy.

Bulldog Joe
04-04-2017, 06:53 AM
I see selection as an ongoing dilemma all year.

With the next game off a 6 day break and flight back from Perth, we are going to need to rest senior players before or after.

Both opponents are going to finish out of finals, but we can't afford to be complacent.

My concern is that Bevo has been prepared to let games like this go a little with the season in mind.

Interesting fact:
Under Beveridge we have started each season 2-0 and dropped round 3.

Mantis
04-04-2017, 10:48 AM
The bigger problem is going to be the non selection of Clay Smith, Dunkley and now McLean, which other teams will be keen to make a move on given their latent talent. I would be more than happy to see one of those three replace Crameri, who is struggling having missed the past 12 months of football. Without Morris in defence and with Murphy playing more forward we do need MBoyd's experience down back to support the likes of Roberts and Cordy.

So why isn't he playing down there?

MrMahatma
04-04-2017, 11:05 AM

Not sure about that. Dunkley and McLean are both very young. Clay has been supported by the club through 3 recos. There'll be at least 3 retirements this year (Boyd, Morris, Murphy) and who knows, maybe a couple others will move on. I actually think these 3 will be some of the least likely to go elsewhere. They'll get games during the season and would be very likely to be best 22 all of next season.

Bulldog4life
04-04-2017, 06:35 PM
So why isn't he playing down there?

Boydy, JJ and Murph all seem to be moving between half back and half forward.

Twodogs
04-04-2017, 06:51 PM
Crameri stays in for mine. Subiaco suits his ability to run up and down the ground so we need him this week.

I'm against dropping Matty Boyd. He doesn't play two bad games in a row.

And I'd leave him in defence too. He's not much of a forward.

Hotdog60
04-04-2017, 07:52 PM
Bevo mentioned in the presser that there may be a couple of changes.

The Underdog
04-04-2017, 09:16 PM

With the next game off a 6 day break and flight back from Perth, we are going to need to rest senior players before or after.

Both opponents are going to finish out of finals, but we can't afford to be complacent.

My concern is that Bevo has been prepared to let games like this go a little with the season in mind.

Interesting fact:

Looking at the fixture we have a huge opportunity to be 5-0 going into GWS but despite our finals success and our ability to "Find a Way" TM, we do generally manage to blow one of these games. It would show a step forward if we can professionally despatch the next 3 teams that should all be bottom 6.

Twodogs
04-04-2017, 11:25 PM

Interesting fact:

We can rest a few after the trip to Perth and let the likes of Smith and Dunkley and Maclean have a run. We have a fair bit of depth to cover players feeling sore after all the running they will have to do at Subi.

always right
04-04-2017, 11:37 PM
Boydy, JJ and Murph all seem to be moving between half back and half forward.

Sure...but the statement was made that we need Boyd's experience in defence to support Roberts and Cordy. Seems that the coaches believe they only need his support occasionally.

westbulldog
05-04-2017, 12:54 PM
I find myself hoping someone will kick 10 on Hamling...........

DragzLS1
05-04-2017, 01:56 PM
I find myself hoping someone will kick 10 on Hamling...........

This! Would make my day, or night! Hoping its Stringer or Boyd :p

aker39
05-04-2017, 02:30 PM
Don't rest Bob, otherwise his 300th will be interstate.

Ozza
06-04-2017, 02:58 PM
Don't know how much truth there is to it - but I heard on SEN early this morning a suggestion that Crameri has a hip injury and wont be on the plane to Perth.

divvydan
06-04-2017, 05:02 PM
Freo making 6 changes to their team from last week. Dawson amongst those out.

GVGjr
06-04-2017, 07:29 PM
At the moment it's in McLean and out Crameri.

I think there could be one more.

Freo have made 6 changes

bulldogtragic
06-04-2017, 07:35 PM
Nice to see Bailey Williams in the emergencies.

choconmientay
06-04-2017, 07:39 PM
From the news... "McLean replaces Stewart Crameri who'll miss due to a hip complaint."

Eastdog
06-04-2017, 08:17 PM
From the news... "McLean replaces Stewart Crameri who'll miss due to a hip complaint."

Crammers must have felt something during training.

comrade
06-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Great to see Magic back. Hopefully a week out stings him and he steps up to a new level. The team named is definitely improved with his inclusion, though I expect a late change.

Freo playing the kids in round 3. It'll either spark them up and make it a contest, or the scent of tanking will permeate and we'll pummel them.

lemmon
06-04-2017, 11:08 PM
Great to see Magic back. Hopefully a week out stings him and he steps up to a new level. The team named is definitely improved with his inclusion, though I expect a late change.

Freo playing the kids in round 3. It'll either spark them up and make it a contest, or the scent of tanking will permeate and we'll pummel them.

Realistically, it's a bloody ordinary Freo side. This should be a chance to inflict some pain.

Isn't it amazing how quickly things change? Our Round 1 performance against them last year really came out of the blue and was something of a heralding moment.

Bulldog Revolution
06-04-2017, 11:59 PM
Realistically, it's a bloody ordinary Freo side. This should be a chance to inflict some pain.

Isn't it amazing how quickly things change? Our Round 1 performance against them last year really came out of the blue and was something of a heralding moment.

I don't think it's that bad a side but maybe I'm not rating some on previous output

Sedat
07-04-2017, 12:01 AM

I reckon the inclusion of kids will see them improve - it's not as though Zac Dawson, Danyle Pearce and Jonathon Griffin are Chappell, Lillee and Marsh ;)

LostDoggy
07-04-2017, 01:43 PM
Thoughts on Clay?

Just not performing ATM, how does he make his way back in ?

Mofra
07-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Thoughts on Clay?

Just not performing ATM, how does he make his way back in ?
Named as an emergency every week, just too strong a side to break into at the moment.
Who does he replace?

1eyedog
07-04-2017, 02:00 PM
Named as an emergency every week, just too strong a side to break into at the moment.
Who does he replace?

Have him slightly in front of Magic at the moment but that's just me. Clay is super dangerous in front of goal but Magic is probably more consistent and has more tricks. I love Clay in the side though we look much harder.

comrade
07-04-2017, 02:11 PM
The VFL scheduling hasn't helped our fringe players, IMO. No games whatsoever this weekend, so no one can put their hand up. Thankfully, it fires back up next week.

Axe Man
07-04-2017, 02:22 PM
Apparently Josh Dunkley is the travelling emergency.

Ozza
07-04-2017, 03:27 PM
Would expect Josh to play. Just seems like given the Freo changes and weak side - although we'd never admit to it - we might take the opportunity to rest someone who is a bit sore.

On another note - my wife took our son to the MCG on Wednesday to the National Sports Gallery - and part of the day was that Fletcher Roberts and Josh Dunkley took the kids through the rooms and spoke to them about what they do on match day, and did some activities/warm ups with them. They thought Josh and Fletch were absolutely fantastic, and my son and the one other kid there with a Bulldogs jumper on got to have a wear of/photo with Josh Dunkley's premiership medal.

bulldogtragic
07-04-2017, 03:30 PM
I reckon the inclusion of kids will see them improve - it's not as though Zac Dawson, Danyle Pearce and Jonathon Griffin are Chappell, Lillee and Marsh ;)

Harsh. Zac Dawson is tall, has an allegation of talent and can't do the basics right consistently at the top level. Every bit like Mitch Marsh.

Remi Moses
07-04-2017, 06:19 PM
The vfl fixturing is insane . How on earth does it start virtually four weeks after the afl season ?

boydogs
07-04-2017, 07:45 PM
although we'd never admit to it - we might take the opportunity to rest someone who is a bit sore

We pretty much did with Crameri

G-Mo77
08-04-2017, 10:43 AM

No Zac Dawson. They are a good chance now.

always right
08-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Freo will miss Pearce's hardness and Dawson's skill.

Twodogs
08-04-2017, 11:22 AM
No Zac Dawson. They are a good chance now.

Freo should be made to play one short to make up for his contribution.