PDA

View Full Version : Alternative game plans

Dry Rot
08-01-2008, 12:27 PM
What should our Plan B (or Plan C) be?

If we can't run the ball out, is there a better way than that short game we played against St Kilda?

ledge
08-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Game plan!
Number 1 when we kick a point ,not wait until its on the wing before we attack them.
Number 2 kick longer and quicker and give our full forward a chance one on one.
Number 3 Hopefully stop doing what Jordan McMahon used to do and bounce the ball 5 times so the forwards dont have to lead 4 times and get all confused when he is going to kick it!
Yes i know Jordan has gone, lets hope we dont create another one!

Scorlibo
08-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Hows this: when coming from the back half if unable to run the ball out due to congestion or good manning up, the half forwards lead up into the midfield or further to receive the long kick from the defensive fifty. Meanwhile, the half backs run up towards half forward either receiving a handball from the half forwards or a short kick. If all this is successful, then great space is created for the forwards to lead into, or, for the half backs to run into and have a ping at goal.
There is a lot of risk involved and disposal skills must be precise, but it has a pretty big upside. The biggest thing about this plan though is that running is still the main element, but we don't run with the ball, we run hard when we don't have it to create an option, and I thought that was something that we just didn't do last year.

Mantis
08-01-2008, 02:26 PM
How about we continue to run and create space when we have the ball BUT when the opposition have the ball how about we do some of the following:

1. Pick up an opponent
2. Apply pressure to the ball carrier
3. Get involved, don't sit back and watch
4. One effort is not enough, 2nd, 3rd and 4th efforts are required.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-01-2008, 05:07 PM
How about we continue to run and create space when we have the ball BUT when the opposition have the ball how about we do some of the following:

1. Pick up an opponent

That's about where the money's at.

Our style of play is taxing, so perhaps it needs adjustments, but there's no doubt that we really need to adopt a far more accountable brand of football. We're a fast, enthusiastic side so if we can apply solid defensive pressure and be willing to help out another team mate, then we'll be far better.

Geelong did that very, very well last year. They would leave their own direct opponent to help out their team mate, making it a 2-on-1 contest. It's risky but their decision making of when to do it was spot on. They strangled sides all year doing this.

LostDoggy
08-01-2008, 07:18 PM

That's roughly the same plan that run foul last season and one that the opposition coaches exploited. It's flawed because our midfield had to be too exact with their skills and because the forward line was undermanned on in a 5 on 3 or 6 on 4 contest.

If we are to play Minson as a key forward we need to adjust the game plan a fair bit. We will need to be able to kick to a contest allowing the smaller guys to get in front of the the bigger guys who are contesting the marks.

1. Pick up an opponent

For 1 and 2 I think the game plan attributed to the lack of it. 3 and 4 are standard issue.

We often hear people talk about plan B's and C's but they should really only be slight variations of plan A ie slightly more attacking or more defensive. The trick is having a team that can adapt quickly to the variations. I think the Crows do this well.

Mofra
08-01-2008, 10:02 PM
We fell down last year with a lack of real leading HF player, unlike 06 when Murphy played this role very well (in 05 I think he was 4th in the league for marks).
With a Murphy & Welsh playing on the HF line we will have something to kick too, as they can lead & penetrate zones with their positioning.

This year we lacked the players to do this so we forced the HB line to hold the ball up more. Adelaide zoned the midfield to force us to do this, has worked well the past few years aginst us.

Another option is to switch play, gaining a few metres, and kicking the ball long to Minson (or perhaps a Skipper later in the year) as players like Harbrow, Aker, Lynch, Cooney (resting), Johnson etc. can all kick goals from neutral ground ball situations.

Hudson for mine is not a goal kicking forward so may be looking to be a kick behind the play ruckman which will cover us better on rebounds if our backline drifts forward as well.

Mantis
09-01-2008, 08:48 AM
That's roughly the same plan that run foul last season and one that the opposition coaches exploited. It's flawed because our midfield had to be too exact with their skills and because the forward line was undermanned on in a 5 on 3 or 6 on 4 contest.

If we are to play Minson as a key forward we need to adjust the game plan a fair bit. We will need to be able to kick to a contest allowing the smaller guys to get in front of the the bigger guys who are contesting the marks.

What so guys who train every other day shouldn't be expected to kick to a team-mate 30 metres away on the full?? Please.

I agree that we need to play more permamant forwards in our game plan. Our half forwards all shouldn't push up the ground together.

Minson will play, hopefully as the bale out option. If this works our smalls in Aker, Harbrow, Higgins, etc.. will hopefully be able to feed off the crumbs that a strong Minson contest will create.

For 1 and 2 I think the game plan attributed to the lack of it. 3 and 4 are standard issue.

We often hear people talk about plan B's and C's but they should really only be slight variations of plan A ie slightly more attacking or more defensive. The trick is having a team that can adapt quickly to the variations. I think the Crows do this well.

Agree, I was looking at it in very simple terms. Our best which wasn't on show very frequently last season is a very good brand of football. As an outsider it just seems when the intensity across the board is down we tend to struggle. Hopefully the leadership group can enforce a strict code of non-negiotables and the players who do not adhere to this will be weeded out.

Sockeye Salmon
09-01-2008, 10:51 AM
What so guys who train every other day shouldn't be expected to kick to a team-mate 30 metres away on the full?? Please.

Give them time and space and they will hit the target every time (or should anyway).

Now try it again with 90 kgs hanging off you and see how you go.

If your midfield is under no pressure you can play anyone as a forward - lead out, get hit on the chest, go back and kick the goal, easy - but when the pressure is on and you have to kick unbalanced, or over a guy coming at you, or across your body, then the forward earns his keep.

He will get crunched - frequently - so having a big body helps. I'd rather they jumped on Minson than Murphy or Johnson.

Bulldog Revolution
09-01-2008, 11:53 AM
For me the big issue of our game plan was our ability to bottle other teams midfields up AND generate run at the same time.

When we open the game up we can run, and score, but we cant shut anybody down

When we attempt to close the game down, we cant generate enough of our own run to create shots on goal.

For me its finding the right balance, but enormously improving our pressure skills and defensive efforts, to the level where less players able to get it done and we can still spread and run.

GVGjr
09-01-2008, 01:33 PM

There is a bit more to it than that though. Under pressure yourself and kicking to a 2 on 1 contest will impact the effectiveness.

This is little to no excuse though if you are under no pressure and your target is clear as well.

Mantis
09-01-2008, 04:16 PM
There is a bit more to it than that though. Under pressure yourself and kicking to a 2 on 1 contest will impact the effectiveness.

This is little to no excuse though if you are under no pressure and your target is clear as well.

Of course it will and I agree with what you and SS have posted, but we have to many players or perhaps have had to many players who struggle to hit a target when under pressure.

The game and the players in the game move at such a pace now that you are very rarely not under pressure when in possession. This maybe pressure applied by the opposition or the pressure of trying to dispose of the ball when running at full pace.

Our players simply have to get better at making correct decisons with the ball and must execute there skills effectively under pressure.

I agree with SS that we don't want Johnno and Murf getting 'crunched' under high balls. I have made mention in a previous thread that I would like to see Minson or perhaps Skipper doing some of the heavy work up forward to allow our talented mid/ small forwards to do what they do best.

GVGjr
09-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Of course it will and I agree with what you and SS have posted, but we have to many players or perhaps have had to many players who struggle to hit a target when under pressure.

The game and the players in the game move at such a pace now that you are very rarely not under pressure when in possession. This maybe pressure applied by the opposition or the pressure of trying to dispose of the ball when running at full pace.

Our players simply have to get better at making correct decisons with the ball and must execute there skills effectively under pressure.

I agree with SS that we don't want Johnno and Murf getting 'crunched' under high balls. I have made mention in a previous thread that I would like to see Minson or perhaps Skipper doing some of the heavy work up forward to allow our talented mid/ small forwards to do what they do best.

The problem I saw a lot in 2007 was mainly around the area that I highlighted but I can cut the guys some slack because often our 3 forwards had 5 opponents pitted against them.
This tested the skill level of the likes of West, Boyd, Cross and one or two others and lets face it they can be found wanting in this area especially when asked to kick it more than 40mtrs.

In 2006, Eagleton was the best exponent of still hitting his targets even if they were under a heap of pressure. Time and time again he managed to perfectly weight his kicks to Robbo or Johnno on the lead.

This is also one of the reasons why I am keen to see Gilbee moved into the midfield even if the coach doesn't rate his ability to shake a tag. Gilbee is one of a very few players that can still kick perfectly to leading forwards even if they are outnumbered. Perhaps Giansiracusa could do this as well.

FrediKanoute
10-01-2008, 05:46 AM
Hows this: when coming from the back half if unable to run the ball out due to congestion or good manning up, the half forwards lead up into the midfield or further to receive the long kick from the defensive fifty. Meanwhile, the half backs run up towards half forward either receiving a handball from the half forwards or a short kick. If all this is successful, then great space is created for the forwards to lead into, or, for the half backs to run into and have a ping at goal.
There is a lot of risk involved and disposal skills must be precise, but it has a pretty big upside. The biggest thing about this plan though is that running is still the main element, but we don't run with the ball, we run hard when we don't have it to create an option, and I thought that was something that we just didn't do last year.

So play the overlap.....forwards become defenders, defenders become forwards......

If we turn it over what happens?

LostDoggy
10-01-2008, 09:55 AM
As a team we have been hamstrung over the last couple of seasons by our lack of physical strength.

As a result we were having to play the run & gun game of the last couple of seasons.
From all reports our guys have put on some more weight which will help in the strength dept and make us better when tackling and contested possession.

If we look back to the end of the season and the game against St Kilda, during the game we played some "tempo" football, held the ball up and worked it around with short passes, and got back into the game.

It appears that we have already started to look at changing the game plan to suit the situation of the match.

Hopefully we will apply more midfield accountability & pressure, to reduce the pressure on the backline.

LostDoggy
10-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Here's something we could try. Why don't we say to ourselves, gee what we are doing in the middle is not working. Standing miles off my opponent ready for the quick dash or release to the forward line doesn't bloody work if my ruckmen or fellow midfielders cannot get the ball to me.

Why don't we then go, we need to play one on one accountable football where we all stand shoulder to shoulder, where we all make sacrifces to help our team mate, where some players will have to sacrifice their game in order to remove other players from the contest. The Swans did it to perfection a couple of years ago. The wall it used to be called, when the Hawks did it. And the Cats mantra was to win every one on one contest. Plan B for me is knowing when to tighten up and being able to do something about it, rather than allow a 6 goal burst to occur because we refuse to pick up opponents or drop our bundle.

I have been critical in the past of our inability to do anything when an opposition gets a run on. Surely we must have a plan that does more than say lets kick the ball to ourselves on the back line in order to slow things down.

If we are not good enough, we are not good enough. But at least let us use some intelligence in the way we set up in the middle or at stoppages...in the way we respond to what is happening to us so as to make a meaningful contest. We should have dozens of well drilled plans, plans that involve what everyone is doing when they don't have the ball so as to assist those with the ball (such as blocking etc.).

We really do need to alter plan A to include more defensive work, and plan B then becomes an extension of that........become more defensive or more attacking according to individual circumstances on the day.

always right
10-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Plan A: Kick more goals than the opposition
Plan B: Stop the opposition kicking more goals than us
Plan C: If Plan B isn't working, revert to Plan A.