PDA

View Full Version : Your most favourite bulldog line from a commentator

ledge
01-04-2017, 07:41 PM
We all know EJs significant "stick it up em" or the "dam wall has broken" in the GF.
But the one that has hung with me is "Picken from behind "
Find it very apt and I have found myself saying it a lot especially when he lays those now well known tackles with in goal range .
Is there any others over the years that have taken hold in your memory?

Eastdog
01-04-2017, 07:48 PM
"Its him" From Bruce :)

Referring to the Bont

chef
01-04-2017, 08:08 PM
The f bomb from BT after Boyds goal.

bulldogtragic
01-04-2017, 08:37 PM

Ditto.

Whoever I hear the 'Picken from behind line', I'm taken to a scene/line with a drunk Rod Farva in Super Troopers 'Farva's everywhere. Farva's everywhere'. Not quite the poignant moment when linked to that scene. Great the ST sequel is coming out later this year.

Eastdog
01-04-2017, 08:46 PM
What do woofers think of "the package" reference to Stringer from BT.

ratsmac
01-04-2017, 08:51 PM
"Mark down this day Western Bulldog fans Saturday May 5 2015"
Anthony Hudson V Sydney. It was somewhat prophetic.

Eastdog
01-04-2017, 08:53 PM
"I think they are gonna get there now" BT
"I've been wanting to say this for as long as I can remember the Bulldogs are I to the grand final can you believe it". Darcy

Twodogs
01-04-2017, 08:53 PM

Do you reckon that was a result of a lost bet? Maybe the commentaters were talking off screen at 3/4 time. Maybe somebody said that Toyd could win the game for the Bulldogs or something like that and BT said something like "if Boyd turns the game and kicks the winning goal then I'll say *!*!*!*!" "OK you're on"

Because it just came from nowhere. Or they came from nowhere. Two quite explicit "*!*!*!*!"s. The lost bet scenario is the only one that makes sense at the moment

Flamethrower
01-04-2017, 09:15 PM
"Tom Boyd will kick a goal and win the flag for the Bulldogs. And he has done.....just.....that!!!" Rex Hunt 2016 GF

Twodogs
01-04-2017, 10:04 PM
From a game against Geelong early in either 1984 or 1985. Whitten Oval, baking hot day, 35 000 crammed in the ground. Beasley kicked 12 and one piece of commentary sticks in my mind. It's Beasley on a long lead and Steve Wallis finding him with a pass from the other side of the centre. Sandy Roberts yells BEEEEEEAAAASSSSLEY! as the Pieman runs out and takes a chest mark.

The commentary from the Collingwood game in 1984 when Beazer intercepted Graeme Allen's pass to Erin Phillips old man Greg is good. Something like Allen takes the free kick and with it, you'd think, any small chance that Footscray could have snatched a win. No one is moving in front of him so he turns and kicks it to Philli-BEAZ-LEE!, there is probably YouTube replays a plenty. There's plenty of great Quotes after Pieman's mark.

ledge
01-04-2017, 10:18 PM
I remember another Beasley moment and it was sandy Roberts , could have been the game we beat the pies and Beasley intercepted the mark .. But Sandy proclaimed " and Beasley sends out the word " not sure what the word was but it has stuck in my head whenever I see beaser.

SonofScray
01-04-2017, 10:21 PM
CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?

F*(K!

And the Western Suburbs erupt.

These have worked their way into countless conversations and our regular barracking at the footy since The Day / The Month.

LostDoggy
02-04-2017, 12:02 AM
Johanason backs him self, he's away,
he opens the field up, he'll kick it to Bontempelli,
he lopes after it, it's all his,
the Bont
he looks,
he stedys,
he goaaaaals,
**KNOCK, KNOCK,KNOCK**
It means the WORLD to the bulldogs

Gerard Wheatley, 2016 Prelim final.

The best part of this thead is that I had to watch Al's octocall of Bonts goal multiple time to get the wording right.

I also enjoyed BT's "to hit the front, to hit the front" and Rex's "listen to the fans" call of the same goal.

ledge
02-04-2017, 01:30 AM
BT missed a huge opportunity to take advantage of the Boyd mark but first called it as Bontempelli, called a few wrong as usual but that was a major error.

westdog54
02-04-2017, 08:35 AM
"It's a night for the dreamers!"

Gerard Whateley at the final siren of the Prelim

Twodogs
02-04-2017, 08:47 AM
BT missed a huge opportunity to take advantage of the Boyd mark but first called it as Bontempelli, called a few wrong as usual but that was a major error.

I reckon BT is really struggling this year. He slurs a bit gets the players mixed up a lot. Could he have a health issue maybe?

EasternWest
02-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Check my sig.

Throughandthrough
02-04-2017, 11:47 AM
As above. The BT f-bomb when Boyd clunked the goal in the gf is perfect. I've watched it over and over and over again.

boydogs
02-04-2017, 11:50 AM
"Mark down this day Western Bulldog fans Saturday May 5 2015"
Anthony Hudson V Sydney. It was somewhat prophetic.

It was May 2, you didn't mark it down did you :D

1eyedog
02-04-2017, 12:56 PM
Picken from behind, Picken from behind. The smallest man of the threesome.

Vintage Cometti and positively hilarious.

Topdog
02-04-2017, 01:13 PM
Do you reckon that was a result of a lost bet? Maybe the commentaters were talking off screen at 3/4 time. Maybe somebody said that Toyd could win the game for the Bulldogs or something like that and BT said something like "if Boyd turns the game and kicks the winning goal then I'll say *!*!*!*!" "OK you're on"

Because it just came from nowhere. Or they came from nowhere. Two quite explicit "*!*!*!*!"s. The lost bet scenario is the only one that makes sense at the moment

Nah it just sounded like pure emotion. BT is an absolute dill but he is a passionate man and understands football very well. He basically just said what 100,000 ppl at the ground said.

Twodogs
02-04-2017, 01:20 PM
Nah it just sounded like pure emotion. BT is an absolute dill but he is a passionate man and understands football very well. He basically just said what 100,000 ppl at the ground said.

It was an emotional moment. Its easily the best moment I can remember at the footy

ReLoad
02-04-2017, 02:06 PM
For sure the F-Bomb.

It summed everything up alright, the reaction of spud is hilarious too.

The buddy franklin/bontempelli combination from Friday night was about as good as our game gets, and was commentated to perfection.

Eastdog
02-04-2017, 03:21 PM
From Dennis can't remember the exact quote will have to watch the GF again:

"But they don't miss out, their day, their year".

From Bruce:

"It means everything if your a Bulldogs fan everything"

Twodogs
02-04-2017, 04:57 PM
Tony Leonard was pretty good on the siren too. "the dogs are the premiers! The dogs are the premiers! Just let the tears of joy flow. They weren't meant to be here. They are. They're the premiers!"

Tony ever the professional didn't throw in a "little ripper" or "go doggies" at the end.

ratsmac
02-04-2017, 05:53 PM
It was May 2, you didn't mark it down did you :D

Haha I actually did know it but had round 5 in my head and wrote May 5 instead of May 2.

AndrewP6
02-04-2017, 08:44 PM
My vote is BT's F-bomb... the sheer, unadultered thrill in his voice, encapsulating what all of us were thinking at the time. Just brilliant.

Also loved JB, about 6 minutes out, saying (words to the effect of) "I might be going early, but I don't give a stuff. The Bulldogs are winning this bloody game!"

Special mention to Eddie Everywhere in the post match coverage, his obvious enthusiasm for our win was great to see.

Twodogs
02-04-2017, 09:00 PM
My vote is BT's F-bomb... the sheer, unadultered thrill in his voice, encapsulating what all of us were thinking at the time. Just brilliant.

Also loved JB, about 6 minutes out, saying (words to the effect of) "I might be going early, but I don't give a stuff. The Bulldogs are winning this bloody game!"

Special mention to Eddie Everywhere in the post match coverage, his obvious enthusiasm for our win was great to see.

At one stage in the post match he yelled "Good on yers. Get used to this feeling, for the next six months you guys are the kings of the town" at some hecklers. Us winning was a much bigger story for all the journos. They loved it.

Sedat
02-04-2017, 09:52 PM
"Kolyniuk, will he take Wright on? Yes he does, I thought he would. One bounce, another bounce. Left foot, look at this. A marvelous kick. He's put them in front. That's as good as you'll ever see"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrCBGfn-WFw

Daughter of the West
04-04-2017, 11:18 AM
The last VFL game of 2014, Footscray v Richmond.

Fletcher is lining up to go for goal from 60m out. If this is a goal, Footscray score a home final. Flectcher approaches, kicks and nails it!

"He's kicked it! Flecther Roberts has kicked it! THE BULLDOGS WIN! The Bulldogs win!"

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-08-25/vfl-footscray-top-tigers-after-siren
(The last two minutes of that game)

To me, that was a huge moment in our slow build. The VFL premiership laid the foundations and it was a taste of things to come.

Twodogs
04-04-2017, 11:39 AM
I can remember celebrating that Fletcher Roberts kick like we'd won the flag. We took our victories in any shape or form.

And it gave us second place and a home final at Whitten oval.

Scorlibo
04-04-2017, 04:23 PM
Would've been about 10 years ago, Dennis' call, as Gia kicked a goal on the run from the boundary.

"I said he was smooth - he's half man, half cappuccino!"

westdog54
04-04-2017, 08:35 PM
I can remember celebrating that Fletcher Roberts kick like we'd won the flag. We took our victories in any shape or form.

In a similar vein:

In the 2014 VFL granny the ABC commentator (may have been Darren Boyd) called Liam Jones' 4th goal thus:

"He's going to go for the open goalsquare. It's straight through the middle! Liam Jones is a hero right now!"

Twodogs
04-04-2017, 09:41 PM
In a similar vein:

In the 2014 VFL granny the ABC commentator (may have been Darren Boyd) called Liam Jones' 4th goal thus:

"He's going to go for the open goalsquare. It's straight through the middle! Liam Jones is a hero right now!"

Liam was the Tom Boyd of the 2014 VFL GF. I'm still convinced it was that performance that convinced Carlton he was worth the ridiculous offer they made him. Is Liam still on their list?

LostDoggy
04-04-2017, 10:05 PM
Yes he is.

Topdog
04-04-2017, 10:16 PM
Yes he is.

And Caleb is still on ours :)

Twodogs
04-04-2017, 11:14 PM
Yes he is.

It must be the last year of his AFL career, surely? Unless he winds the Coleman or something.

bulldogtragic
04-04-2017, 11:22 PM
It must be the last year of his AFL career, surely? Unless he winds the Coleman or something.

He can't get games behind a skinny Silvagni, Casboult and myriad other plodders who can't string consistent games together. Carlton's off season from hell should be a little less painful when they can kick he & Jacksch to the curb. Thus freeing up a huge chunk of salary cap to go free agent or massive trade offer shopping.

Twodogs
04-04-2017, 11:33 PM
He can't get games behind a skinny Silvagni, Casboult and myriad other plodders who can't string consistent games together. Carlton's off season from hell should be a little less painful when they can kick he & Jacksch to the curb. Thus freeing up a huge chunk of salary cap to go free agent or massive trade offer shopping.

That'll make them feel better. A big name over priced recruit. It will make them feel like a proper club. A Big club.

It will stop them being a successful club for a few more years but that's for them to get frustrated about.

ledge
05-04-2017, 11:46 AM
What's worse is they would rather play an injured and sore Wietering between FF and CHB in the same game than give a fit Liam jones a game at FF so Wietering has some sort of rest.
That tells you how they rate Jones now .. Goneski.

Sedat
05-04-2017, 12:09 PM
Unfortunately for the rest of the competition, Brendan Bolton knows what the hell he's doing. The Malthouse years were fun while they lasted.

Twodogs
05-04-2017, 12:22 PM
Unfortunately for the rest of the competition, Brendan Bolton knows what the hell he's doing. The Malthouse years were fun while they lasted.

Like Kerry Packer said "you only get one Alan Bond"

ledge
05-04-2017, 12:28 PM
Like Kerry Packer said "you only get one Alan Bond"

I prefer you only get one Luke Beveridge.

Templeton31
05-04-2017, 01:40 PM
My favourite is Huddos "mark this day down Bulldog fans..." already mentioned but honourable mentions:

Gerard after Prelim: "What a time to be alive!"

And gerard " Words that haven't been spoken for 62 years.....the Bulldogs are the Premiers. They're the Champions." (not sure if that was exactly it - from memory.

ALso gerard from West Coast final " And the Bulldogs are threatening to make believers of us all" Prophetic.

Murphy'sLore
05-04-2017, 02:31 PM
Love Gerard's turn of phrase. My favourite commentator.

merantau
07-04-2017, 09:34 PM
"The Bont! The bloody Bont!"

westdog54
08-04-2017, 04:12 AM
I don't know if this counts as a 'Commentator' line, but this was Terry Wallace on AFL Live after Picken's grand final sealer:

"I couldn't be more proud. I was there in '89 when they said 'We're shutting the doors, its over, its done'."

jeemak
08-04-2017, 05:12 AM
I reckon I know what Liam Picken's favourite is. Mr Versatile........(as if Picken from behind isn't where he does his best work).

Eastdog
08-04-2017, 05:45 PM
"They are premiers" I think Dennis said that maybe Bruce :)

"They have done it"

Eastdog
08-04-2017, 05:46 PM
"They are on top of the world"

Twodogs
08-04-2017, 10:40 PM
From a game against Geelong early in either 1984 or 1985. Whitten Oval, baking hot day, 35 000 crammed in the ground. Beasley kicked 12 and one piece of commentary sticks in my mind. It's Beasley on a long lead and Steve Wallis finding him with a pass from the other side of the centre. Sandy Roberts yells BEEEEEEAAAASSSSLEY! as the Pieman runs out and takes a chest mark.

The commentary from the Collingwood game in 1984 when Beazer intercepted Graeme Allen's pass to Erin Phillips old man Greg is good. Something like Allen takes the free kick and with it, you'd think, any small chance that Footscray could have snatched a win. No one is moving in front of him so he turns and kicks it to Philli-BEAZ-LEE!, there is probably YouTube replays a plenty. There's plenty of great Quotes after Pieman's mark.

Now that I think about it, it was triple Brownlow medalist Bobby Simpson who said that.

ledge
09-04-2017, 09:21 AM
Now that I think about it, it was triple Brownlow medalist Bobby Simpson who said that.

Fair effort for Bobby Simpson , captained Australia in cricket and was a selector / team manager etc for years . Rebuilt cricket from the WSC days .
Had no idea he won three Brownlows and commentated footy as well. ;-)

Twodogs
09-04-2017, 09:43 AM
Fair effort for Bobby Simpson , captained Australia in cricket and was a selector / team manager etc for years . Rebuilt cricket from the WSC days .
Had no idea he won three Brownlows and commentated footy as well. ;-)

Not to mention commentating on Aussie rules when he'd never actually played the game.

An amazing bloke!

ledge
09-04-2017, 12:12 PM
I'm in tears just realised won three Brownlows and never played a game that's funny as Twodogs
Beats the bring back Minson journo by a mile.

ledge
09-04-2017, 12:14 PM
Actually that is now one of the classic bulldog one liners .. Bring back Minson to help out Campbell ! 2017

jeemak
09-04-2017, 01:19 PM
I think you should make a small mod to your signature ledge!

Twodogs
09-04-2017, 03:20 PM
Why would we want him back?

Eastdog
15-04-2017, 09:21 PM
Once again the words said in the last 41 seconds of the prelim final. Wow!! Just was watching the final moments of that before.

strebla
17-04-2017, 04:06 PM
I love this thread but sadly at the moment I have nothing to add but my thanks.

ledge
17-04-2017, 05:39 PM
"You've got to inspire me "

Eastdog
17-04-2017, 05:44 PM
"You've got to inspire me "

"with this last quarter"

"We have had our back against the walls you have got to fight you gotta to inspire me"

Something like that I have to watch that EJ coach speech again to see the exact words.

Twodogs
17-04-2017, 06:55 PM
"with this last quarter"

"We have had our back against the walls you have got to fight you gotta to inspire me"

Something like that I have to watch that EJ coach speech again to see the exact words.

"You've gotta inspire me. You've got to show me all the guts and determination you have" Is how it went from memory.

ledge
17-04-2017, 07:09 PM
Terry Wallace is in bulldog folklore as well with his "I'll spew up " speech after a game.