PDA

View Full Version : A nice article on the history of Picken

ledge
05-04-2017, 12:05 PM
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/late-bloomer-liam-picken-key-to-dogs-grand-final-run/news-story/ee637d4431a02eadbeb7f8e920b7f501

Twodogs
05-04-2017, 12:27 PM
Might want to cut and paste ledge. It's a subscriber only thing.

ledge
05-04-2017, 12:37 PM
That's strange I'm not a subscriber ..
Ok well here is one that is hilarious especially the last part about Liberatore..,
https://thegreenfieldpost.com.au/liam-picken-reportedly-still-gut-running-end-to-end-at-etihad-c2b007512f83

Twodogs
05-04-2017, 01:20 PM
What's the headline mate? We should be able to track a free copy of the first article down through google.

Daughter of the West
05-04-2017, 01:20 PM
Late bloomer Liam Picken key to Dogs’ grand final run

Born the son of a champion and related to an all-time legend, Liam Picken took time to blossom but has become a standout under Luke Beveridge.

Most importantly, he has saved his best football for September, with the 30-year-old playing a starring role in three sudden-death finals by finding a perfect balance of desperation, skill and poise.

For much of his career, Picken has been more a blue-collar footballer than an on-field high-flyer like his father, Billy, or his cousin, Jonathan Brown.

Picken worked hard to establish a career, with his ethic honed in his teens when he would open the gates for horses coming on to the track at the Hamilton Racing Club, where his father was the secretary, or plug holes in the track after the races.

His brother, Marcus, was drafted by Brisbane around this time and while the younger Picken had talent, his game contained a few rough edges and it was deemed he had too slight a physique to be drafted.

Like many of his mates, after finishing school he moved to Melbourne, the city where his dad made his fame. Picken Sr played 212 games for Collingwood, where he won a couple of best-and-fairest awards and was named in the Magpies team of the century, and also spent a couple of seasons with the Swans.

Picken worked odd jobs in factories, studied for a finance degree and stepped out for Williamstown at VFL level while completing some pre-seasons with the Bulldogs.

But the Bulldogs finally gave him a chance as a rookie after he won Williamstown’s club champion award in 2008.

From his first game, when he restricted North Melbourne champion Brent Harvey, Picken developed a reputation as a durable run-with player capable of snaring a goal.

He has played at least 20 games every year since and was a member of the preliminary final sides of 2009 and 2010.

Shortly after Picken and his wife, Annie, had a son, Malachy, the then coach Rodney Eade praised the Bulldog for his approach to the game, saying he “cherishes every moment of playing AFL footy”.

Now a father of three — the pair also have twin girls — that has not changed but under Luke Beveridge he has become a more attacking, versatile player with matchwinning attributes.

“He is one of those players whose game really relates to big finals. He doesn’t shy away from anything,” Beveridge said.

After booting two goals against the Eagles in the elimination final, he kicked three at critical times against Hawthorn in the semi. Then, with the preliminary final in the balance against the Giants, Picken laid an outstanding smother just as his former captain Ryan Griffen was about to barrel the ball into the GWS forward line.

The Sherrin ricocheted to Tom Liberatore, another son of a gun, who then found Jackson Macrae alone in attack, allowing him to kick the matchwinner. “I don’t know if I got a hand or body on it. It was pretty tight in the last couple of minutes and it probably could have gone either way, so we were lucky we were on the right side,” Picken said.

“I think, just generally, finals, the pressure lifts, so there is so many smothers, tackles and pressure. It is something you get in the finals.”

The celebrations were raucous but Picken said they did not last long.

“You come down to earth pretty quick,” he said.

“It was very exciting after the game and you just have to embrace that, but it was great to be able to get back to Melbourne early and watch the boys play in a grand final. This week is … pretty similar to the last few weeks. We will keep it really normal and focus on getting everything right this weekend.”

It is not just the Bulldogs’ long wait, which dates back to 1954 for their sole premiership and 1961 for their last grand final appearance, that serves as a reminder to Picken that the job is not yet complete. While his dad enjoyed an outstanding career, he never won a premiership, playing in four losing grand final sides with Collingwood.

“Dad coached us growing up in Hamilton, so I learned a lot growing up with him coaching me. Dad has been great over my career, helping me out,” Picken said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/late-bloomer-liam-picken-key-to-dogs-grand-final-run/news-story/ee637d4431a02eadbeb7f8e920b7f501

ledge
05-04-2017, 01:22 PM
Thanks DOTW I had no idea how to do it.

Twodogs
Thanks everyone.

choconmientay
And the picture to go along with it :)
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/ba90e5fd45a8e4e9acaf9ac3d19c35e8?width=1024
Bulldogs player Liam Picken meets Bulldogs fans at Whitten Oval this week

bulldogtragic
05-04-2017, 01:25 PM
That write up looks very similar to my post last week nominating Picken in the team of the century.

1eyedog
05-04-2017, 01:57 PM
That write up looks very similar to my post last week nominating Picken in the team of the century.

Time for a new T-shirt or scarf;

WOOF. National supplier of insider information to sports journalists since 2006.

Twodogs
05-04-2017, 02:09 PM
WOOF, keeping lazy journalists in employment for over a decade.

ledge
05-04-2017, 03:19 PM
WOOF, keeping lazy journalists in employment for over a decade.

We should be getting a percentage of the paper sales .. Where's our kick back ? Nothing's free in life especially news articles !