PDA

View Full Version : The Next Few Weeks

Eastdog
09-04-2017, 12:16 AM
Tonight was a game we expected to win but it wasn't to be which just proves how tough the competition is and that our premiership last year was one of the best ever.

How do we see us going the next few weeks:

We have:

R4 Kangaroos - Etihad

R5 Lions - Etihad

R6 Giants - Spotless

R7 Tigers - Etihad

KT31
09-04-2017, 08:46 AM
Tonight was a game we expected to win but it wasn't to be which just proves how tough the competition is and that our premiership last year was one of the best ever.

How do we see us going the next few weeks:

We have:

R4 Kangaroos - Etihad

R5 Lions - Etihad

R6 Giants - Spotless

R7 Tigers - Etihad

Lets just take it "one week at a time", Eastie.

SlimPickens
09-04-2017, 10:14 AM
Will be good to be back at home. Looking forward to Good Friday

boydogs
09-04-2017, 01:32 PM
I think we'll bounce back and win the next couple. GWS will be another test

Eastdog
09-04-2017, 04:46 PM
I think we'll bounce back and win the next couple. GWS will be another test

Tend to agree. Must be on the ball whoever will play and I'm expecting the Roos and Lions to come at us strong but quietly confident we have the quality to win. The Giants will be tough and hopefully by the time we play the Tigers they are in a form slump.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-04-2017, 05:49 PM
The slowness of the players is a concern. Is it the late start to preseason? Lack of hunger? Both? How long can grand final teams use the late preseason excuse for?

bornadog
09-04-2017, 10:07 PM
Next few weeks Eastie - 4 straight wins. ;)

Eastdog
10-04-2017, 03:21 PM

Would be nice and can happen but we really need to lift our intensity as the first few weeks of the season it hasn't been there. Would set up our season nicely if your right BAD.

Eastdog
15-04-2017, 03:14 PM

1 down and only just.

Next few weeks now the Lions at Etihad we should win but they have improved somewhat and haven't looked too bad when they have played at Etihad.

Giants at Spotless - tough one

Tigers at Etihad we should win but will depend what their form is like around then.

Dry Rot
15-04-2017, 03:37 PM
Local derby + do or die for the Swans = banged up GWS the week before we play them (hopefully)

bulldogtragic
06-05-2017, 11:44 PM
Huge that we get it together properly.

R8 - WCE at Perth (4th)
R9 - Geelong at Skilled (3rd)
R10 - St Kilda at Etihad (8th)

Huge if we go in with three wins, or at least two wins. We can't let the teams around us currently get space on us, but we can put some space on them.

Eastdog
07-05-2017, 01:52 AM
We could win all 3 if like you say BT get our stuff in order and play high intensity.

DOG GOD
07-05-2017, 12:22 PM
Have to play with the same intensity we had against GWS.
Cannot afford to give any of those 3 a big start.

Hopefully will have the likes of Dickson and redpath return which will hopefully give our fwd line a little more structure.

Eastdog
07-05-2017, 10:14 PM
Have to play with the same intensity we had against GWS.
Cannot afford to give any of those 3 a big start.

Hopefully will have the likes of Dickson and redpath return which will hopefully give our fwd line a little more structure.

Dickson and Redpath were very good in the VFL yesterday. They certainly would bolster our forward stocks. We get the ball undide 50 a good number of times but just need more cohesion in what we do with it in there. Was great to seeing Marcus grab a few in there and kick a couple. We won the game but Morris is another who's experience in defence would have been just what we needed last night.

Topdog
08-05-2017, 11:15 AM
With Stringer out we certainly need them back.

1eyedog
08-05-2017, 06:13 PM
No forwards do not help this week.

Eastdog
08-05-2017, 07:37 PM
No forwards do not help this week.

Yeah our luck on the injury front has not changed. Very frustrating and will need to just keep going and don't last year we won the premiership with injuries over the year. Tom Boyd to play forward I would say. Who would ruck? Could Tommy Campbell come in.

bulldogtragic
12-05-2017, 11:50 PM
Time for that switch, whatever it is to be flicked. We could be 8th at the end of the round. Hitting Geelong at Geelong and St Kilda are huge now. If we don't turn this thing around now, we could head into the bye out of the top 8 and too far back for top 4 at year's end. Arguably now the two biggest games of the year coming up.

Eastdog
13-05-2017, 01:00 AM
Time for that switch, whatever it is to be flicked. We could be 8th at the end of the round. Hitting Geelong at Geelong and St Kilda are huge now. If we don't turn this thing around now, we could head into the bye out of the top 8 and too far back for top 4 at year's end. Arguably now the two biggest games of the year coming up.

Yep 2 huge games coming up both winnable to set us up well going into the 2nd half of the season.

GVGjr
13-05-2017, 08:48 AM

As both you and Easty have said the next 2 weeks are huge for us.

We are playing inconsistent footy bordering on excellent but also too many very frustrating periods of the game.
I often find it hard to watch.

Win these two games and we are in a very strong position, lose them both and we are in a battle with many other sides. If we split the results then I suppose the jury is still out.

I'm not quite sure why we haven't put it together yet but it's so important for us to start getting back to playing the sort of football we are capable of. I'm quietly confident we can.

SquirrelGrip
13-05-2017, 09:11 AM
https://s.faketrumptweet.com/j2me942l_wg66gx_143jdhv.png

Remi Moses
13-05-2017, 10:18 AM
Go to the break 7 and 3 and we've done well

chef
13-05-2017, 10:25 AM
We'll beat both Geelong and Saints so we'll be right.

Full strength we would have beaten the Eagles too.

Eastdog
13-05-2017, 02:49 PM
Go to the break 7 and 3 and we've done well

That would be very good.

Who is available to come in next week?

Eastdog
13-05-2017, 04:12 PM
We'll beat both Geelong and Saints so we'll be right.

Full strength we would have beaten the Eagles too.

Yes had we had a few more players in yep I think we would have won but considering our injuries again this year I look at 5-3 as not a disaster as our fight in games been top notch.

Rocket Science
13-05-2017, 10:34 PM
Call me old school but pending Cats' result worries me. They'll be looking to atone. And ALWAYS give us grief.

We need soldiers back, and soon.

ratsmac
14-05-2017, 01:44 AM
Geelong in Geelong has not been pleasant for the Footscray/Western Bulldogs ever. So I don't have a great deal of confidence going into this one.

Saints at .....well anywhere. They have always troubled us. Nick friggin Riewoldt grows another leg when he plays against us. Our best beats their best so we need to be at our best.

bulldogtragic
14-05-2017, 10:08 AM
Geelong in Geelong has not been pleasant for the Footscray/Western Bulldogs ever. So I don't have a great deal of confidence going into this one.

Saints at .....well anywhere. They have always troubled us. Nick friggin Riewoldt grows another leg when he plays against us. Our best beats their best so we need to be at our best.

I don't want to press thanks or like, but you're dead right. Studying our recent history doesn't fill me strong confidence that it will just happen. We need to lift considerably to win these two.

aker39
15-05-2017, 02:44 PM
If anyone is looking for a ticket for Friday nights game, there are some restricted view seats available in the new Brownlow Stand for $40.

Ozza
15-05-2017, 05:26 PM

I've been to Kardinia Park 4 times, and never seen us lose...so I really should do the right thing and head down there.

But you're right, it has not been a happy hunting ground for us.

Since the time Geelong started playing at Kardinia Park in 1941, after winning our first 3 at the venue, we never won again until 1972. We then won 3 times in a row between 1972 and 1975. We then failed to register a win again at the ground until 1985. After the sole win in 1985 - we again went winless until 1995.

From 1995 to 2003 - we won 6 of the 7 games we played at Geelong. 2003 being the last time we won at the ground.

All in all, we have a 13 wins - 42 losses & 1 draw record at the ground.

1eyedog
15-05-2017, 06:20 PM
75 to 85 lots of pain for a kid. I saw Doug Hawkins cry at KP after a lose in the early 80s and got king hit in the dunnies during a win in the 90s for no reason other than to bear my colours. Prick of a place.

Must break the curse.

bornadog
15-05-2017, 06:28 PM
Our draw has been in and out of Melbourne

Round 5: Etihad
Round 6: ACT
Round 7: Etihad
Round 8: Perth
Round 9: Geelong
Round10: Etihad
Round 11: Sydney
Round 12: Etihad

Eastdog
15-05-2017, 08:12 PM
Our draw has been in and out of Melbourne

Round 5: Etihad
Round 6: ACT
Round 7: Etihad
Round 8: Perth
Round 9: Geelong
Round10: Etihad
Round 11: Sydney
Round 12: Etihad

Need to get an away win soon that will be good for the confidence. Winning down at Kardina would be great. Nearly did it against the Plastics and Eagles. 5 wins at Etihad and the G in Round 1

LostDoggy
16-05-2017, 05:58 AM
Need to get an away win soon that will be good for the confidence. Winning down at Kardina would be great. Nearly did it against the Plastics and Eagles. 5 wins at Etihad and the G in Round 1
Yep, our Melbourne form is 5-0 this year, outside of Melbourne it's 0-3. A better away record will be crucial if we are going to finish up near the top.

bulldogtragic
19-05-2017, 11:27 PM
One week to the bye. St Kilda, above us on the ladder. We will be outside the top 8 by next week.

Crazy how big this game will be now.

bulldogtragic
19-05-2017, 11:49 PM
Looking ahead, if we drop some games in the latter half of the season say Sydney, Adelaide, Port Adelaide and that we always lose after Cairns. That has us fighting for 8th according to a calculator/live ladder.

Need to start winning, or start researching top 10 phantom drafts.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-05-2017, 12:01 AM
We're up against it, this isn't the 2016 side.

comrade
20-05-2017, 12:03 AM
5th is just as good as top 4, IMO. That's probably the goal from here on in.

Remi Moses
20-05-2017, 12:05 AM
The consistency is just not there .
Reckon Bevo got it wrong with team selections as well . We needed one more defender to cover Taylor .
He's barely had a kick forward

DOG GOD
20-05-2017, 10:16 AM
If we make the 8 it will be 8th....we haven't been playing well all year. This is not the same team. We haven't played a 4 qtr game this season. We won't make the 8 in 2017....in my 5 game predictor I had us for the following based on early season form...
GWS - loss
Rich - win
WC - loss
Geel - loss
Saints- loss.

AndrewP6
20-05-2017, 01:24 PM
We're up against it, this isn't the 2016 side.

I reckon our final series flattered our 2016. We limped into the finals, played out of our skins once there.

always right
20-05-2017, 01:30 PM
I reckon our 2016 home and away season gave a false impression. Our finals performance was more indicative of our ability once we had a full team to select from.

We have a seriously good team who haven't managed to put it together so far this season for various reasons. I still have confidence we will do so but it seems others on this board have lost faith.

Mantis
20-05-2017, 01:36 PM
I reckon our 2016 home and away season gave a false impression. Our finals performance was more indicative of our ability once we had a full team to select from.

We have a seriously good team who haven't managed to put it together so far this season for various reasons. I still have confidence we will do so but it seems others on this board have lost faith.

We haven't had anywhere near our best team on the park this year, and we have 3-5 playing considerably worse than 2016. The fact we have had just 3 of our first 9 games as 'home' games hasn't helped either.

We aren't far away at all, just need a good run with injuries and our players to perform to their capabilities across an entire game and we will be challenging at the right time.

Go_Dogs
20-05-2017, 02:15 PM
We haven't had anywhere near our best team on the park this year, and we have 3-5 playing considerably worse than 2016. The fact we have had just 3 of our first 9 games as 'home' games hasn't helped either.

We aren't far away at all, just need a good run with injuries and our players to perform to their capabilities across an entire game and we will be challenging at the right time.

Agreed. Two weeks is a long time in football, particularly with the evenness of the competition this year.

Bulldog4life
20-05-2017, 02:29 PM
Interesting quote I read on twitter by Mick Le Grand.....Amazing fixturing has seen the Western Bulldogs play just 3 home games out of our last 15 games. Must be due for a home run.

comrade
20-05-2017, 02:48 PM
Interesting quote I read on twitter by Mick Le Grand.....Amazing fixturing has seen the Western Bulldogs play just 3 home games out of our last 15 games. Must be due for a home run.

It's been a horrible start to the year fixture wise and it doesn't get better over the next few rounds. We finally get a home game and it's against a fellow Etihad tenant.

Eastdog
20-05-2017, 02:52 PM
Back at home next week so need to get a confidence boosting win to go to the bye. Very dissapointed from last night as that was the one where I would of loved to get a scalp but it wasn't to be so we need to focus on next Saturday.

The 2016 home and away season itself for us wasn't the best ever but the 2016 final series was something and the best ever for us winning the flag. Believe it or not the 2015 home and away season was slightly better and we finished higher.

R10 Dogs V Saints at Etihad
R11 Bye
R12 Swans V Dogs at SCG
R13 Dogs V Demons at Etihad
R14 Dogs V Kangaroos at Etihad

boydogs
20-05-2017, 03:05 PM
Geelong were outstanding last night. 130 tackles, just unbelievable. We showed some improvement in our forward line efficiency and would have beaten most teams, just didn't play to our best for long enough to get over the line on the day. We would be close to favourites for our next 4 and could be 9-4 and possibly top 4 after the next 4 games

Eastdog
28-05-2017, 01:56 PM
One week at a time but very winnable games the next few week coming up particularly having more players coming back very soon.

Swans at SCG then Demons at Etihad, Kangaroos at Etihad, Eagles at Etihad

Very important win yesterday and that put us in that echelon of teams on 6-4

Ozza
30-05-2017, 10:19 AM
The Sydney game is very important obviously. But I did a ladder predictor yesterday - and I still have us finishing 3rd at the end of the H&A.

We are yet to lose a game at Etihad this season (5 from 5) and play there another 6 times. We also have a home game at Ballarat, a home game at Cazaly where we have never lost, and get Carlton at the G and Brisbane at the Gabba as away games.

If this list gets healthy and stays predominantly healthy - we are very well placed for a top 4 finish. We should be winning 9 or 10 of our last 12 - to finish with 15 or 16 wins. With the comp being far more even this season in terms of the gap between top 8 and the rest - 15 or 16 wins gets you into the top 4 (as it always used to).

westdog54
30-05-2017, 02:18 PM

Does that include the four consecutive 'away' finals?

Topdog
30-05-2017, 02:22 PM
Does that include the four consecutive 'away' finals?

yeah it must.

1eyedog
30-05-2017, 06:20 PM
One week at a time but very winnable games the next few week coming up particularly having more players coming back very soon.

Swans at SCG then Demons at Etihad, Kangaroos at Etihad, Eagles at Etihad

Very important win yesterday and that put us in that echelon of teams on 6-4

10-4 would be a good place to be.

bornadog
31-05-2017, 05:55 PM
The run home (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-05-31/the-run-home)
This time last year, the Bulldogs went into the break nursing their wounds after a 57-point drubbing from the Cats, but there’s a different feeling around the kennel this week, as the Dogs completed final training session before the break.

After disposing of St.Kilda by 40-points on the weekend, the Dogs sit in fourth place on the AFL ladder after ten rounds of football, and are in a ‘good position’ according to coach Luke Beveridge.

“Considering what happened last year, Geelong really beat us quite easily before our bye and it wasn’t a nice way to go out on a break,” Beveridge told media post-match on Saturday.

“So this is a nice time to reflect, think about the work we’ve put in, how it sets us up for the back end of the year, and back full of energy and try and string some wins together.”

The Bulldogs had their final training session for the week yesterday, ‘a really good session’, according to the coach, before a CBA mandated four day break.

But while Beveridge said it’s important the players get some rest, with the Swans in Sydney looming after the break, football won’t be far their minds.

“I think we’re in a good position in that now is the time to relax our minds a little bit.

“But we play Sydney on the Thursday, so our players have got to really look after themselves, which they do. We can’t really let our hair down on the bye weekend as such, because we have to prepare for a game that’s pretty close to it.”

The Dogs play seven of their last 12 matches in Melbourne, plus one in Ballarat, with trips to Cairns, Adelaide, Brisbane and of course, Sydney to come.

Eastdog
04-06-2017, 08:41 PM
After this round just played the next few weeks will be vital to get us in position for a top 4 finish.

Eastdog
04-06-2017, 08:42 PM
10-4 would be a good place to be.

That would be a great position going into the Crows game pretty confident.