PDA

View Full Version : What do we have to do to keep Good Friday Footy?

bulldogtragic
09-04-2017, 09:00 PM
The AFEL have not committed to either North or the Dogs to keeping the Good Friday Blockbuster. So what do we as a club, playing group and members/fans need to do to make sure we get to keep this great opportunity going ahead?

LostDoggy
10-04-2017, 08:46 PM
Smash Norf into next week.
I'm happy for us to be the lock each year and rotate our opp.

GVGjr
10-04-2017, 08:50 PM
The AFEL have not committed to either North or the Dogs to keeping the Good Friday Blockbuster. So what do we as a club, playing group and members/fans need to do to make sure we get to keep this great opportunity going ahead?

I think it's a case of pushing this hard in the media and making sure we do our bit with the attendance.
45K would be a great crowd for the game

aker39
10-04-2017, 08:51 PM
Simple - turn up

Twodogs
10-04-2017, 09:24 PM
Simple - turn up

Exactly.

1eyedog
10-04-2017, 10:32 PM
Some attractive free flowing football wouldn't hurt.

aker39
10-04-2017, 10:52 PM
Exactly.

Not looking good when you get an email offering tickets that were selling for $63, for $50.

bornadog
10-04-2017, 11:16 PM
The AFEL have not committed to either North or the Dogs to keeping the Good Friday Blockbuster.?

Well they should. I bet if it involved Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond or Essendon they would have locked it in.

I say get stuffed AFL and let us have the Good Friday Game from now on.

Eastdog
11-04-2017, 10:38 AM
Well they should. I bet if it involved Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond or Essendon they would have locked it in.

I say get stuffed AFL and let us have the Good Friday Game from now on.

Yes it is a great opportunity for us to have a yearly locked in game which we haven't had in the past. Hopefully we come out in force on Friday despite it not being our home game.

aker39
11-04-2017, 11:10 AM
And they were giving tickets away on SEN this morning.

All of the signs are not looking positive.
I know it's an away game, but I'm surprised how little the club have promoted this game.

bulldogtragic
11-04-2017, 11:25 AM

I know it's an away game, but I'm surprised how little the club have promoted this game.

You can bet Tanner & Eddie & others will be calling Gil if the actual event isn't worthy due to having 'small clubs' and will be pressuring big time for the game next year. Ch7 using Heppell & Watson to promote the game this year makes me wonder if there's not already some positioning for next year. Surely both clubs should be using every ounce of energy and resource to make this so successful that the AFEL simply has to give us the game on an ongoing basis.

SlimPickens
11-04-2017, 11:45 AM

It'll be packed, bugger all afl members tickets left. The venue has to hold a certain number aside for GA membership walk ups, so if all you can buy is in the $50-75 range it means there isn't much left.

I reckon there will be 50 thousand, so get there early if you have a GA membership.

bornadog
11-04-2017, 02:07 PM
It'll be packed, bugger all afl members tickets left. The venue has to hold a certain number aside for GA membership walk ups, so if all you can buy is in the $50-75 range it means there isn't much left.

I reckon there will be 50 thousand, so get there early if you have a GA membership.

This is an historical game. I will be there.

aker39
11-04-2017, 02:13 PM

I'll be happy to be proven wrong but I think the crowd will be closer to 40,000 than 50,000.

The Pie Man
11-04-2017, 02:40 PM
GA ticket purchased - we just have to show up.

I wonder though how many had to change long weekend plans to attend (e.g I had to - I'm rarely in Melbourne Good Friday)

aker39
11-04-2017, 02:46 PM
GA ticket purchased - we just have to show up.

I wonder though how many had to change long weekend plans to attend (e.g I had to - I'm rarely in Melbourne Good Friday)

I have 15 family members who go to the football together most weeks. 12 will be away this weekend, only 3 going to the game.
Their Easter ritual has been to go away camping and they are doing the same this year.

comrade
11-04-2017, 02:51 PM
I have 15 family members who go to the football together most weeks. 12 will be away this weekend, only 3 going to the game.
Their Easter ritual has been to go away camping and they are doing the same this year.

There's never been footy on Good Friday. Sometimes rituals have to change.

I'll be there.

SlimPickens
11-04-2017, 02:53 PM
This is an historical game. I will be there.

Me too. Very confident it will be a large crowd. Suspect there will be big numbers of neutral supporters.

Eastdog
11-04-2017, 03:12 PM
Should be there too. Will probably get my ticket tonight. Weighing up between and reserve seat or just GA.

jazzadogs
11-04-2017, 06:42 PM
What's more important to the AFL, game day attendance or TV ratings?

1eyedog
11-04-2017, 07:30 PM
What's more important to the AFL, game day attendance or TV ratings?

They will say game day attendance, actually Lethlean was talking about it today. His words were to the affect of 'if they don't come to the games the game will be unhealthy and die'.

My take is that if people aren't going to the game (and large numbers of young men are staying home and watching on their 7 metre HDs and fridges full of beer) then they are all watching it on telly and the AFL will simply start building a global audience with a ridiculous broadcast-rights fee.

Webby
11-04-2017, 07:57 PM
Slightly off topic, but Norf Melbourne's jumper change this year means that we have to wear our clash jumper against them in this showpiece game.

Geez Norf suck for making that change..

Remi Moses
11-04-2017, 08:04 PM
People go away during the Easter school holiday period, so I think they won't pack it out .
I hope we do, but wondering why this wasn't the replacement game for Cairns

aker39
11-04-2017, 09:28 PM
People go away during the Easter school holiday period, so I think they won't pack it out .

Because $5 from every ticket sold is going to RCH Appeal

LostDoggy
11-04-2017, 10:14 PM
Got GA ticket today.
Can't wait.

bornadog
11-04-2017, 11:50 PM
Slightly off topic, but Norf Melbourne's jumper change this year means that we have to wear our clash jumper against them in this showpiece game.

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Images/170406-WB-ARC-7932-Easter-Auction_-_620_x_370_-v4.jpg

Eastdog
12-04-2017, 02:04 PM
Secured my ticket this morning. Got a reserve seat to be safe. Up near the Coventry end so where our cheer squad - I called the club just to make sure what end they were going to be at but had a fair idea being an away game we'd be up at the Coventry.

Topdog
12-04-2017, 02:44 PM

I'm heading away for the weekend on Friday morning so wont be there. Whilst I've always wanted Good Friday footy it was mainly so there was something to watch at home.

Twodogs
12-04-2017, 03:18 PM

North suck for lots of reasons.

I'm heading away for the weekend on Friday morning so wont be there. Whilst I've always wanted Good Friday footy it was mainly so there was something to watch at home.

My reasons were mainly heretical.

Eastdog
12-04-2017, 04:42 PM

Yeah it's frustrating as I would have liked us to wear our regular home jumper of course with white shorts being the away side.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
13-04-2017, 09:08 PM
Double header tomorrow - our VFL premiership flag is being unfurled before the game at Whitten Oval

1eyedog
14-04-2017, 09:15 AM
We'll be lucky to get 35k. Unfortunately this game coincides with Norf being really, really crap and their supporters know it.

GVGjr
14-04-2017, 09:50 AM
We'll be lucky to get 35k. Unfortunately this game coincides with Norf being really, really crap and their supporters know it.

I hope you are wrong. Both clubs need this and the North supporters in particular should be watching this from the perspective of seeing the next generation of players coming through. The likes of McDonald, Garner, Turner, Simpkin and Preuss should be their focus.
For us, it's the chance to build on last year's success and give us the opportunity of establishing a permanent Good Friday game.

Understanding people go away over Easter but for years I've read how bored people are on this day so there should be nothing better than getting to the game.

SlimPickens
14-04-2017, 11:36 AM
Understanding people go away over Easter but for years I've read how bored people are on this day so there should be nothing better than getting to the game.

It's been interesting reading some of the comments on this board, stating how disappointing it would be to get a small crowd yet in the same breath saying they can't attend due to going away etc. I've been looking forward to good Friday footy for years and am wrapped to be able to attend today. The stadium is estimating 45000 and I'm expecting a big crowd, all the markers are there with ticket availability. If North and bulldog supporters show plus stadium and AFL members, it should be a very large crowd.

Webby
14-04-2017, 12:04 PM
I think it'll be an unusually large number of neutrals today. I wouldn't underestimate the "there's nothing else to do!" factor.

I'm tipping there'll be a big crowd - even though many people will be away. Nudging 50,000.

I also hope Dogs supporters out-donate Norf supporters into the RCHA tins!

hujsh
14-04-2017, 02:20 PM
I think it'll be an unusually large number of neutrals today. I wouldn't underestimate the "there's nothing else to do!" factor.

I'm tipping there'll be a big crowd - even though many people will be away. Nudging 50,000.

I also hope Dogs supporters out-donate Norf supporters into the RCHA tins!

Yep, I'm bringing a Norf supporter (who doesn't really follow the game) and a Cat today and the Cat wanted to see Good Friday footy.

bornadog
14-04-2017, 03:08 PM
AFL refuses to guarantee North Melbourne and Western Bulldogs will play on Good Friday next year (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-refuses-to-guarantee-north-melbourne-and-western-bulldogs-will-play-on-good-friday-next-year/news-story/e72881bc69057fa4131b09471b3fec1e?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan has refused to guarantee North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs will feature in next year’s Good Friday clash.

The two clubs will take part in a stand-alone game today at Etihad Stadium, in what will be the first AFL match played on Good Friday.

Asked if the AFL would review the scheduling of the two teams if the match wasn’t a sellout, McLachlan said, “I think you would.”

However, the league boss was confident the remaining tickets would be snapped up.

“I think it is going to be sold out. The ticketing has been very strong but there are still some tickets available,” he said on 3AW.

“We would love everyone to come and have a great day. Hopefully it is a big part of the (Royal Children’s Hospital) Appeal and hopefully of the day.”

Earlier this week, North Melbourne great Brent Harvey threw his support behind the Kangaroos and Bulldogs holding onto the day long into the future.

Harvey even suggested that within a few years the match could outgrow Etihad Stadium and need to be moved to the MCG.

“I think it’s got potential to go a long way,” Harvey said.

“A lot of clubs have their own games — Queen’s Birthday, Easter Monday, Anzac Day — so it’d be good to have something and the Kangaroos have worked so hard.”

McLachlan said a decision on next year’s match would be made at a later date.

“I think you always have a look at everything. We will do that after this. We will focus today on making it a great day.”

The AFL will make a donation to the Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal, which will be announced during the game.

bulldogtragic
14-04-2017, 06:36 PM
Gil wanted a sell out (50,000) and there's about 42,000 and it's a shithouse game. I hope this game gets better quick, or Eddie & Co will be calling Gil at 3/4 time with a good shot for next year.

Sedat
14-04-2017, 06:39 PM
I love my club but the choice of two teams for Good Friday, purely from an aesthetic perspective, is strange. Both games last year were putrid affairs - 9 goals to 6 first time and 9 goals to 7 the next in pristine conditions. If you are building an event from scratch, those numbers don't make for encouraging reading, and today is simply an extension of that trend.

GVGjr
14-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Gil wanted a sell out (50,000) and there's about 42,000 and it's a shithouse game. I hope this game gets better quick, or Eddie & Co will be calling Gil at 3/4 time with a good shot for next year.

42K is a good enough crowd, the standard so far isn't worthy of of such an honor.

Lets hope for a major lift in performance for the 2nd half

chef
14-04-2017, 06:53 PM
We wont be involved next season.

bulldogtragic
14-04-2017, 06:55 PM

Just when we get a blockbuster game, we dish this up.

GVGjr
14-04-2017, 06:55 PM

Why do you believe that Chef?

chef
14-04-2017, 07:00 PM
Why do you believe that Chef?

Because theres half a dozen other teams wanting a piece and by the sounds of Gil it wont be the same teams every year.

Plus the crowd isnt great.

bulldogtragic
14-04-2017, 07:59 PM
Maybe the close finish wallpapers the gaping cracks of this game. Please give it to us again.

comrade
14-04-2017, 08:23 PM
Would be absolutely stupid to decide who plays based on if it may or may not be a good game.

Crowd was fine, game was close & I assume the TV audience was huge.

AndrewP6
14-04-2017, 09:22 PM
Maybe the close finish wallpapers the gaping cracks of this game. Please give it to us again.

This. The close finish disguised the fact it was a rubbish game for 2 and a bit quarters. I'd be very surprised if we got it again.

SonofScray
14-04-2017, 10:16 PM
As if every ANZAC Day game has been a an absolute barn burner. The calls along the lines of "if it is a good game & gets a good crowd, they should keep it" are ridiculous, just another way of trying to shit on us. There are no conditions on Queens Birthday fixture and that has been a horror show for years.

jeemak
14-04-2017, 10:17 PM
This. The close finish disguised the fact it was a rubbish game for 2 and a bit quarters. I'd be very surprised if we got it again.

Of course if the AFL was consistent it wouldn't award other key games (round one to RICH vs CARL for example of Queens Birthday Weekend) exclusively to other clubs.

Almost 43K, a great second half and a close game is a pretty good outcome.

Sedat
14-04-2017, 10:20 PM
I thought the first half was awful, but credit to the teams because the 2nd half was a fantastic spectacle. I think both teams deserve another crack at it.

kruder
14-04-2017, 10:23 PM
Was a poor event just felt like another regular home and away game to be honest. North said they had been pushing for years for the opportunity yet both clubs dropped the ball IMO. The z grade entertainment before the game and at half time really didn't do the day any justice.

bulldogtragic
14-04-2017, 10:25 PM
I thought the first half was awful, but credit to the teams because the 2nd half was a fantastic spectacle. I think both teams deserve another crack at it.

The optimist somewhere in my cynical dark subconscious thinks that perhaps Gil was using the 'stick' and not the 'carrot' to make it clear to our fans to turn up and we can keep it, or don't turn up and shut up about not getting opportunities. If that's the case, mid 40's and a close game might be enough with TV ratings to give us both another go. But then I'd expect the same thing said each year.

Sedat
14-04-2017, 10:33 PM
As if every ANZAC Day game has been a an absolute barn burner. The calls along the lines of "if it is a good game & gets a good crowd, they should keep it" are ridiculous, just another way of trying to shit on us. There are no conditions on Queens Birthday fixture and that has been a horror show for years.
This is a fair point but you don't want a 9 goal to 6 snorefest for the first ever Good Friday fixture, which is where the game was headed at half time.

kruder
14-04-2017, 10:43 PM
St Kilda would have been a more logical opponent.

Twodogs
14-04-2017, 10:55 PM

I don't mind North. That is I really hate North so I don't mind having them as our opponent in this fixture.

chef
15-04-2017, 12:10 AM

TBH North-Carlton would have been more logical.

Its Norths baby so hopefully they still want us involved.

Ozza
15-04-2017, 12:15 AM
I think 42K (nearly 43K) is an exceptional crowd for Etihad.

If they are committed to playing the good Friday game at Etihad - then that is the best crowd you are ever going to get. Reasons being that;
A) you don't get neutrals going to Etihad because for a reasonable price you'd have to sit on level 3 - which is ordinary unless you get there super early. If you wanted good seats (ie. level 2) - it was $78 per adult. That is absurd.
B) The attendance numbers depend quite heavily on Medallion Club attendance, and given that many of those seats are used by businesses - you are never going to be taking clients to a game on Good Friday.

Twodogs
15-04-2017, 12:32 AM
It's difficult to say what a pass crowd is for Good Friday because there's nothing comparable to it as a public holiday except for chrismtmas day. So 42.5k might be excellent, really good, just good or poor.

Were there more of us or them-what do you think?

jeemak
15-04-2017, 12:40 AM
The AFL being the commercial pragmatists that they are, would have put Good Friday on the table earlier if they thought it was a MCG worthy fixture in its infancy.

Therein lies our issue. Now that we've proved two of Melbourne's smaller clubs can get mid forties at Docklands, what's to say two of Melbourne's bigger clubs couldn't get 65-75K at the G.

My guess is the AFL already knows that 40-60K is all you're likely to be able to get to the game on Good Friday, irrespective of which Melbourne team plays, otherwise they'd have beefed it up.

ledge
15-04-2017, 02:29 AM
After today it will stay with these two teams, 42000 a great crowd considering it's good Friday ., the religious won't go and a lot of people go away for Easter.
Hard to believe just two years ago both sides struggled to get 15000 at some games.
We have pulled in 152000 in three games not sure what we got against freo but surely it's near on 200,000 in 4 games.

Happy Days
15-04-2017, 01:28 PM
If we lose the Good Friday game then Carlton and Richmond should surely lose their opening fixture.

hujsh
15-04-2017, 08:01 PM
If we lose the Good Friday game then Carlton and Richmond should surely lose their opening fixture.
But it's tradition Happy Days. You can't mess with these traditional fixtures.

aker39
15-04-2017, 09:56 PM
On channel see the game peaked at over 1m and averaged 677,000.
On Foxtel the game peaked at 323,000 and averaged 255,000

bulldogtragic
15-04-2017, 10:01 PM
On channel see the game peaked at over 1m and averaged 677,000.
On Foxtel the game peaked at 323,000 and averaged 255,000

I take it an average of 932,000 first up is pretty good for AFEL House.

Twodogs
16-04-2017, 03:06 PM
The FTA figures are pretty good. How do the Foxtel figures shape up? Is a 255 000 average going to keep them sweet? Are there figures for other games we can compare it to?

Sedat
16-04-2017, 08:30 PM
Anyone catch Eddie Maguire give some subtle cheap shots about the standard of the Good Friday match at half time on Fox Footy? No doubt sowing the seeds of doubt about the two teams given the fixture. I wonder how happy he was with the standard of tripe his team and St Kilda served up today. At least Good Friday was a belter for half the match - and they only got 36k to their match today, which was the only game in Melbourne.

I normally don't mind Ed, but he can suck it up.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2017, 08:39 PM
Anyone catch Eddie Maguire give some subtle cheap shots about the standard of the Good Friday match at half time on Fox Footy? No doubt sowing the seeds of doubt about the two teams given the fixture. I wonder how happy he was with the standard of tripe his team and St Kilda served up today. At least Good Friday was a belter for half the match - and they only got 36k to their match today, which was the only game in Melbourne.

I feel sorry for him. He helped burn down his own club, and year after year of finishing lower, poor list management and poor organisational decisions he will have to sack his love child and may face serious for the first time from members. Poor bloke.

Rocco Jones
16-04-2017, 08:42 PM

I normally do mind Ed and that is why.

I also heard him talk about how racism is bad this week. Coming from a guy who called an Aboriginal an ape and not getting why it's racist, a tad rich.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2017, 08:43 PM

I also heard him talk about how racism is bad this week. Coming from a guy who called an Aboriginal an ape and not getting why it's racist, a tad rich.

And getting away with it.

GVGjr
16-04-2017, 08:48 PM

I'm not sure Eddie would have done that other than commenting on the game. Lets face it at half time it was a poor standard that turned into a good contest that could have been decided on the last kick and yes he has more than enough of his own problems.

I think he would prefer that us and North to have it rather than say Carlton and Hawthorn.

Sedat
16-04-2017, 08:52 PM
I'm not sure Eddie would have done that other than commenting on the game. Lets face it at half time it was a poor standard that turned into a good contest that could have been decided on the last kick and yes he has more than enough of his own problems.
Taking what he said into context, it was subtle white-anting. I'm sure Ed would like to have Collingwood involved in Good Friday than us or North or Carlton or Hawthorn or St Kilda. Think you underestimate his rat cunning and street smarts, which have been developed and finely honed in the mean streets of Broady.

Twodogs
16-04-2017, 10:25 PM
I feel sorry for him. He helped burn down his own club, and year after year of finishing lower, poor list management and poor organisational decisions he will have to sack his love child and may face serious for the first time from members. Poor bloke.

It's the balls up over shafting Neil Balme only for Eddie's chosen successer to fall over inside three months that will come back to bite Eddie I reckon. Not right away but a group will be working away in the background using that incident as proof of how Eddie has lost it and gradually white acting him.

Taking what he said into context, it was subtle white-anting. I'm sure Ed would like to have Collingwood involved in Good Friday than us or North or Carlton or Hawthorn or St Kilda. Think you underestimate his rat cunning and street smarts, which have been developed and finely honed in the mean streets of Broady.

More like in the board room at the Nine Network.

jeemak
17-04-2017, 09:47 AM

Agree with you. Ed has done his time in the game and he needs to move on, nothing he says or does is constructive anymore.

Twodogs
17-04-2017, 10:13 AM
Ed became president the same year as Smorgon became president of us. Eddie's won a flag and set the club up at the Lexus centre and everything is humming along apart from the odd disaster but it's run out of ideas.

Apart from protecting Buck's back I can't figure out why he hangs on.

bornadog
17-04-2017, 10:42 AM
Ed became president the same year as Smorgon became president of us. Eddie's won a flag and set the club up at the Lexus centre and everything is humming along apart from the odd disaster but it's run out of ideas.

Apart from protecting Buck's back I can't figure out why he hangs on.

Actually Ed became president a year after Smorgon. I had been overseas for 7 years and got back in the September of 1998. We (family) were having breakfast at a restaurant in South Yarra called Harvey's and sitting at the next table was Eddie and the proposed new board discussing plans to take over Collingwood. At the time, I didn't know who the hell Eddie was (due to my overseas stint).

The next day (a Monday), Eddie announced his intentions.

I agree, if I was a Collingwood supporter, I would want some changes, 18 plus years in the job is a long time.

Twodogs
17-04-2017, 12:01 PM
Actually Ed became president a year after Smorgon. I had been overseas for 7 years and got back in the September of 1998. We (family) were having breakfast at a restaurant in South Yarra called Harvey's and sitting at the next table was Eddie and the proposed new board discussing plans to take over Collingwood. At the time, I didn't know who the hell Eddie was (due to my overseas stint).

The next day (a Monday), Eddie announced his intentions.

I agree, if I was a Collingwood supporter, I would want some changes, 18 plus years in the job is a long time.

Good name!;)

hotdog
20-04-2017, 11:50 AM
It may be an unpopular opinion here however I think it should rotate between 4 clubs. Dogs, Roos, Saints and Blues. Winner stays on unconditionally loser goes to the back of the que. Gives a big incentive to win and stay in the timeslot as a loss would mean a two year hiatus. In this format and in terms of our current position of strength we could effectively stay on as champ for 3 years running until the other clubs catch up. Brings another element to the game.

comrade
20-04-2017, 11:54 AM
It may be an unpopular opinion here however I think it should rotate between 4 clubs. Dogs, Roos, Saints and Blues. Winner stays on unconditionally loser goes to the back of the que. Gives a big incentive to win and stay in the timeslot as a loss would mean a two year hiatus. In this format and in terms of our current position of strength we could effectively stay on as champ for 3 years running until the other clubs catch up. Brings another element to the game.

A similar point has been raised here already. I like the round robin idea, but no way would I include Carlton. They get the season opener on a platter.

Twodogs
20-04-2017, 11:57 AM
I really like the idea of a winner stays on comp between us, North and St Kilda (*!*!*!*! Carlron, we don't want to be associated with irrelevant, tragic losers like them and four is one too many for a deal like this).

But I like the idea of just us and North every year better. St Kilda have their block buster in Wellington or wherever it is every year.

bornadog
20-04-2017, 12:16 PM
I am selfish, I only want the same teams each year ie us v North

bulldogtragic
20-04-2017, 12:21 PM
On an Al's Highlights clip, Barrett said he expects Dogs v Roos to have the game for another two years at least before a full review by the Sith Lords.

Ozza
20-04-2017, 12:33 PM
Be nice to have the game as our home game next year.

bornadog
11-05-2017, 06:13 PM
Bulldogs set to play on Good Friday again in 2018 (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/north-melbourne-and-western-bulldogs-set-to-play-on-good-friday-again-in-2018/news-story/03fb4e6f939a0756cb91461431359bd5)

NORTH Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs are likely to retain Good Friday football next season with hope growing they can build a traditional blockbuster.

The AFL is conducting a formal review involving the two clubs, broadcasters and the Good Friday Appeal board with early indications the Round 4 thriller was a success.

And the league hasn’t ruled out scheduling a second match next season, which would be played outside Victoria.
The appeal raised a record $17,605,662 for the Royal Children’s Hospital – up $160,037 on last year – and 42,814 attended the twilight match at Etihad Stadium.

Both clubs are desperate to play again next year and believe they have earned that right.
“They (the AFL) haven’t given us any formal response,” Dogs chief executive Gary Kent said.
“But talking to them they are very happy with the crowd and happy with the impact on the Good Friday appeal.

“Obviously we’d like to keep that as a permanent fixture for ourselves and we think we have done everything, and North Melbourne too.

“We put on a great game, we really supported it and TV ratings-wise and crowd-wise and raising money for the Good Friday appeal are all ticks.

“That’s the feedback we’ve had. We haven’t had anything formal as to what will happen next year.”
Kangas chief executive Carl Dilena labelled the clash a “tremendous success”.

“Along with the Bulldogs, we did everything that was asked and more and the feedback has been fantastic,” Dilena said.
“Most significantly, we were able to help raise awareness on a national scale for the appeal, and help achieve a record in donations.

“I think it’s definitively something we can build on and turn into an annual blockbuster.”
AFL fixture boss Travis Auld said the review would conclude “in the coming months” which would dictate next year’s schedule.

“But the signs from the game itself, the amount of money that was raised (and) from the TV audience all indicates it was a success,” Auld said.

“We haven’t extended our thinking beyond this year at the moment.
“Certainly I couldn’t see another game in Victoria next year and we haven’t thought about beyond that.

“We’ll close that review out before we start thinking about what we might do next year.”
Kangaroos legend and AFL games record-holder Brent Harvey wants the clubs to grow the match into a marquee blockbuster played at the MCG.

North Melbourne spent 25 years lobbying for Good Friday football and the AFL finally broke with tradition this season, becoming the last major winter code to play on the religious holiday.

This year’s game evolved into a heart-stopper as the Dogs fought back from five goals down to prevail by three points.
It was decided by the final kick, as Lindsay Thomas’s long-range shot missed in his 200th game.

bulldogtragic
11-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Yeah us!

HOSE B ROMERO
12-05-2017, 05:23 PM
Go to Church??

BulldogBelle
16-05-2017, 06:48 PM
Go to Church??

Whats that.

LostDoggy
17-05-2017, 11:06 AM
Our home game this time please.

Greystache
20-09-2018, 07:17 PM
Channel 7 are reporting the AFL has given Good Friday football to Essendon starting next year.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2018, 07:22 PM
Channel 7 are reporting the AFL has given Good Friday football to Essendon starting next year.

Surprised it took three years after Heppell was used in the first year's promo.

jeemak
20-09-2018, 07:24 PM
The AFEL is a *!*!*!*!ing disgrace.

EasternWest
20-09-2018, 07:24 PM

Well they were pioneers of the idea. Makes sense.

Go_Dogs
20-09-2018, 08:09 PM
Good to hear. They've been starved of blockbuster games for too long.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2018, 08:14 PM
Good to hear. They've been starved of blockbuster games for too long.

Yeah, playing in front of the packed out crowds on ANZAC day, Dreamtime and now Good Friday. And they always win Trade Week every year. Oh to be Essendon.

While the rest us are forced to play in front of packed out crowds on Elinination Final Day, Qualifying Final Day, Semi Final Day, Preliminary Final Day, Grand Final Day and just take what we can at Trade Week. Oh to be the rest of us.

Have to keep them relevant, 'whatever it takes'.

Rocket Science
20-09-2018, 08:16 PM
Let me pull up a chair because I'd love to hear how the actual f**k they can justify this without vomiting up a guts full of $$$$$$$.

Go_Dogs
20-09-2018, 08:20 PM
Yeah, playing in front of the packed out crowds on ANZAC day, Dreamtime and now Good Friday. And they always win Trade Week every year. Oh to be Essendon.

While the rest us are forced to play in front of packed out crowds on Elinination Final Day, Qualifying Final Day, Semi Final Day, Preliminary Final Day, Grand Final Day and just take what we can at Trade Week. Oh to be the rest of us.

Have to keep them relevant, 'whatever it takes'.

Do you think if we didn't win a final for 14 years they'd give us ANZAC Day?

bulldogtragic
20-09-2018, 08:28 PM
Do you think if we didn't win a final for 14 years they'd give us ANZAC Day?

Give us? If anything, they'd give us to Tassie or Gold Coast.

But let them and their fans drink on their bath water. Gil seems either beholden to them in some way, or desperate to get back to the good old days where they were a meaningful club for presumably financial reasons. It's garbage, but it's cold comfort to all of them. It was never coming back our way, so I don't care. We brought the fans and interest in the first year and were shunned despite it. So it can be another game I don't watch, is the way I see it. I mean, it's unsurprising.

bornadog
20-09-2018, 08:30 PM
WTF - I am sick of these *!*!*!*! wits at AFL House

chef
20-09-2018, 08:32 PM
Was always going to happen, thought it was going to be Carlton though.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-09-2018, 08:43 PM
So frustrating. They are really testing me. What’s worse is they gave us ONE year at it and we got a decent crowd. Yet they decided to drop us and now decide a bigger club is needed. It’s just total crap

bulldogsthru&thru
20-09-2018, 08:44 PM
If the AFL has sent out any message it’s that you will be rewarded for taking performance enhancing drugs

Flamethrower
20-09-2018, 08:45 PM
Was always likely to be Essendon or Collingwood scheduled on Good Friday in 2019 due to the timing of Easter and ANZAC Day - the other team will play Good Friday Eve (Thursday night April 18th) - 7 days prior to ANZAC day.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2018, 09:05 PM
Was always going to happen, thought it was going to be Carlton though.

Essendon vs Carlton. They don't have a blockbuster name game. Problem solved.

chef
20-09-2018, 09:09 PM
Essendon vs Carlton. They don't have a blockbuster name game. Problem solved.

Its coming.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2018, 09:20 PM
Its coming.

Yep. As is my indifference to it. I'd rather watch repeats of Hueys Kitcken, Judge Judy, the Best of Senate Question Time (so far), All Together Now (with Jon English), Peter (g'day) - Russell (g'day) - Clark, A Country Practice (after it went to Ch 10), Iron Chef involving the Italian Iron Chef or the original Iron Chef Japanese, or Dr Phil or whatever other shit clogs up the channels of not 7 on a Good Friday. Frankly, if SBS just gave me 24 hour re-runs of Iron Chen Kenichi battles, I might not watch footy at all other than our games.

Grantysghost
21-09-2018, 12:08 AM

So they have Good Friday, Anzac Day, Dreamtime and farmers game. And we have zip. Little hard to comprehend.

bornadog
21-09-2018, 12:21 AM
Was always likely to be Essendon or Collingwood scheduled on Good Friday in 2019 due to the timing of Easter and ANZAC Day - the other team will play Good Friday Eve (Thursday night April 18th) - 7 days prior to ANZAC day.

So what about Anzac day Good Friday within 7 days, the AFL can schedule it on Saturday.

This is just a kick up the arse. I want to see the club really fight this, it is just BS

KT31
21-09-2018, 01:18 AM

Makes total sense, Easter is all about a bloke coming to after getting jabs in the feet and wrists.:mad:

Funke disco
21-09-2018, 06:39 AM
Given it to them?.... Starting from next year?, so in essence permanently? if so that is BS and completely at odds with AFL's equalization mantra. What the fork!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-09-2018, 08:29 AM
If true, then the AFL aren't even bothered making any effort of disguising their contempt for smaller clubs.
The equalisation mantra is just a pretence.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-09-2018, 09:37 AM
Yep. As is my indifference to it. I'd rather watch repeats of Hueys Kitcken, Judge Judy, the Best of Senate Question Time (so far), All Together Now (with Jon English), Peter (g'day) - Russell (g'day) - Clark, A Country Practice (after it went to Ch 10), Iron Chef involving the Italian Iron Chef or the original Iron Chef Japanese, or Dr Phil or whatever other shit clogs up the channels of not 7 on a Good Friday. Frankly, if SBS just gave me 24 hour re-runs of Iron Chen Kenichi battles, I might not watch footy at all other than our games.

There is no way in hell i will be watching the footy on Good Friday now.

I can't stomach ANZAC day either so this is just another fixture to add to the growing list of non-bulldogs games i have zero interest in.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-09-2018, 11:16 AM
Absolutely pathetic if true.

I would hope us, Norf and Saints sling some mud over this.

Sedat
21-09-2018, 11:44 AM
I'd be more than happy to open the bowling with regard to slinging mud at that piece of shit club.

1. They are the only club in VFL/AFL history to win a flag when cheating the salary cap (twice actually - 1993 and 2000)
2. They ran a systematic doping regime the likes of which has never been seen before in professional team sport

Instead of kicking them out of the competjtion, the AFEL sees fit to make everyone else stand aside and get these bastards back on their feet by giving them every single blockbuster game the AFEL has on the cards.

Fark the EFC and fark the AFEL.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-09-2018, 11:54 AM
I'd be more than happy to open the bowling with regard to slinging mud at that piece of shit club.

1. They are the only club in VFL/AFL history to win a flag when cheating the salary cap (twice actually - 1993 and 2000)
2. They ran a systematic doping regime the likes of which has never been seen before in professional team sport

Instead of kicking them out of the competjtion, the AFEL sees fit to make everyone else stand aside and get this bastards back on their feet by giving them every single blockbuster game the AFEL has on the cards.

Fark the EFC and fark the AFEL.

What the AFEL have given to Essendon since running a systematic doping regime the likes of which has never been seen before in professional team sport:

1. A free look at the best mature talents not in the AFL
2. The number one draft pick
3. Cap flexibility to sign the players recruited in number 1
4. Extra blockbuster games

What an absolute joke. Zero integrity. This competition stands for absolute f*** all except the all mighty dollar. That s***stain of a club should have been sent packing, yet the AFEL instead reward them. That in itself speaks VOLUMES as to what the AFEL are all about.

S Coast Simon
25-09-2018, 04:55 PM
Clear evidence they are not interested in equalisation. This is purely based on money. Anyone notice all the fines this year and not so many suspensions.

Eastdog
28-09-2018, 09:08 PM
Was hoping this would be a blockbuster game for us but doesn't look that way with it being shared. Hasn't really taken off as yet. Not promoted enough. Would it be better for it to be at the MCG for more people to go and for it to be on in the evening?

GVGjr
28-09-2018, 09:12 PM
Was hoping this would be a blockbuster game for us but doesn't look that way with it being shared. Hasn't really taken off as yet. Not promoted enough. Would it be better for it to be at the MCG for more people to go and for it to be on in the evening?

Hard to say Easty, the AFL has provided the option for people that have been asking for it so it's now up to the fans to get to the games

Needs to have a 40K crowd at Etihad or 60K at the MCG

Eastdog
28-09-2018, 09:19 PM
Hard to say Easty, the AFL has provided the option for people that have been asking for it so it's now up to the fans to get to the games

Yeah with the crowd yes would need to get that. They really should share the opening game of the year around. That is something they can change as well. Anzac Day, Queens Birthday and Easter Monday are kind of set now.

Twodogs
30-09-2018, 11:10 PM

Such as the 42, 814 crowd we got last year for the Good Friday match? As opposed to the 33, 966 North and St Kilda got this year?

We've been ripped off here.

Eastdog
01-10-2018, 01:23 AM
Such as the 42, 814 crowd we got last year for the Good Friday match? As opposed to the 33, 966 North and St Kilda got this year?

We've been ripped off here.

We certainly got a good crowd in.

Do we need to promote the game better or are doing that enough as it is?

The other ‘blockbuster’ games are at the G so this one could be played there as well to get as many people in. Really it should be for those clubs that don’t have that ‘blockbuster’ time slot to get an opportunity.

Axe Man
26-10-2018, 03:51 PM
In a move that will surprise absolutely nobody:

St Kilda set to be dumped from Good Friday as AFL considers power club to join North Melbourne (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/st-kilda-set-to-be-dumped-for-good-friday-as-afl-considers-power-club-to-join-north-melbourne/news-story/cb59f20ed20d9dc59be40537e8312877)

NORTH MELBOURNE will be handed a third consecutive Good Friday encounter as the AFL considers whether to introduce a power club to the concept after a poor crowd this year.

St Kilda is expected to be dumped as a Good Friday participant after only a single year with a moderate Etihad Stadium crowd of 33,966.

Kangaroos chief executive Carl Dilena told the Herald Sun North Melbourne expected to play in the contest again next year in what is a packed early-season schedule.

Brisbane is confident they will be fixtured a Good Friday Eve game at home against Collingwood, followed by the Roos again taking part in the third Good Friday game.

The next Wednesday night Richmond and Melbourne take part in their now-traditional game on Anzac Eve before the Collingwood-Essendon game on Thursday April 25.

There is speculation either Richmond or Essendon could take on North Melbourne because it would help maximise the break for the team playing the week after Good Friday.

Richmond would need to play Good Friday then the next Wednesday — only a five-day break.

Essendon would play Good Friday then the next Thursday — and would get a six-day break before taking on a Roos outfit that it played this year in an epic 35-goal shootout.

As of Thursday neither club had been told whether they will take part in the contest, with the league set to start drip-feeding out fixtures to clubs over the weekend.

Carlton, which has long lobbied for a Good Friday slot, will not play in that slot and will be handed a fixture with its traditional season opener against Richmond and many Sunday afternoon slots after just two wins this year.

The Roos-Saints Good Friday game drew a poor crowd and resulted in a game just as flat, with both sides kicking 2.10 to halftime before North Melbourne eased to a 52-point win.

Dilena said the Roos were keen to continue building on the Good Friday appeal contest, confident of a greater crowd with North Melbourne set to enter 2019 as a much-hyped team.

He said the understanding was the Roos would be participating in Good Friday when the fixture is released on Wednesday.

“That is our expectation. The only discussions we have had along the way are who our opposition should be,’’ he said.

“We have put in a massive amount of work with the Good Friday Appeal and the Royal Children’s Hospital.

He said the Roos were confident of a bigger crowd next year after this season’s average attendance.

“The predictions for our season weren’t too rosy either so there was probably a bit of negative sentiment about what both teams could bring to the table.

“This year we have come off a very competitive year and have some additions to our team and should be looking to play some pretty good footy next year so it augurs well.”

bulldogtragic
26-10-2018, 03:54 PM
Just another game not to watch.

GVGjr
26-10-2018, 03:57 PM
So why aren't we being considered for this game? I talked to PG a couple of years ago and he was quietly but very confident that we would be a part of the Good Friday games. Given we only got one chance I wonder why we haven't been back in the mix?

This is something that we really needed to work for us.

bulldogtragic
26-10-2018, 04:05 PM
So why aren't we being considered for this game? I talked to PG a couple of years ago and he was quietly but very confident that we would be a part of the Good Friday games. Given we only got one chance I wonder why we haven't been back in the mix?

We did our bit. The club put in the hard yards and the members turned out 2-1 over North members. The skills in the game were shithouse, but it did go to the last kick of the match where Lindsay Thomas missed (sad face emoji). We couldn't have done more. So they dropped us anyway, surely knowing St Kilda would see it go backwards, and surely knowing a 'big club' would then take it over.

I remind everyone, in the promo for the first year in which North played Dogs, Dyson Heppell was part of the promotion. Many, including me, with great cynicism posited that Heppell was part of it because the longer term plan was to get Essendon in. It seems it's not cynicism, but rather having insight into how the AFEL works.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-10-2018, 04:26 PM
There is just so much wrong with all of this i don't know where to begin.....

hujsh
26-10-2018, 04:33 PM
I thought it was already decided they'd give it to Essendon.

If we really was a 'blockbuster' we need a period of success and we need to pick someone else who's also successful at the time and invent any old bullshit reason for a blockbuster. Doesn't have to be a public holiday, can just be an 'event' for a group of people or a cause like Dreamtime at the G is with Richmond and Essendon.

If we're both successful it'll become a 'blockbuster' the same way Easter Monday is now.

jeemak
26-10-2018, 04:36 PM
There's a common denominator here, one that happens to hold the rights to a home game on a public holiday every year. I have very little doubt that North would have been lobbying for this type of outcome from the beginning. For them playing out their strategy would be a piece of piss given the AFL's thirst for revenue over fairness at all costs.

I was in the same boat as BT, and share the feelings expressed alongside those of BT&T. It is just so bad it isn't funny.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-10-2018, 04:42 PM
So why don't we come out and actually condemn it?

Not like we failed - didn't we draw 45k? Game was close too. Every other side has a marquee fixture but us/Norf/Saints so no other side should even be considered.

The AFL makes me sick - my interest in the game/product is so far from what it once was.

I'd really like to see our club take a strong stance on this but we've been silent.

angelopetraglia
26-10-2018, 04:45 PM
To say I'm upset about this would be a gross understatement.

How many players are now saying that they chose Collingwood or Essendon 'cause they want to play in big games? This was our chance to build and create a big game. A serious marquee.

How did the AFL decide to rotate this game when they backed the following games for long periods of time since inception?

Pies V Dons - ANZAC Day
Pies V Dees - Queen's Birthday
Cats V Hawks - Easter Monday
Tigers v Blues - Opening Thursday
Tigers V Dees - ANZAC Eve

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-10-2018, 05:15 PM

I think the fact we've been horrible to watch mostly also hasn't helped.

bornadog
26-10-2018, 06:23 PM
There's a common denominator here, one that happens to hold the rights to a home game on a public holiday every year. I have very little doubt that North would have been lobbying for this type of outcome from the beginning. For them playing out their strategy would be a piece of piss given the AFL's thirst for revenue over fairness at all costs.

I was in the same boat as BT, and share the feelings expressed alongside those of BT&T. It is just so bad it isn't funny.

You may recall North wanted Carlton and were pushing them over us. It was PG that convinced the AFL and the premiership sealed it.

I cannot stand the administrators of the AFL and I really think Hocking and Gilligan should be sacked.

Topdog
26-10-2018, 06:36 PM
I think the fact we've been horrible to watch mostly also hasn't helped.

That has nothing to do with it. Melbourne have had Queens birthday for an eternity

jeemak
26-10-2018, 07:07 PM
Yeah, Carlton and Richmond have each been terrible to watch over time and it hasn't stopped them from opening the season.

The rules and reasons can't be cited because they're not applied consistently.

KT31
26-10-2018, 07:12 PM
What are the chances of legal action over the unfairness of the draw and the distribution of marquee games ?
Surely Peter would be able to mount a decent case against the AFL and its cohorts.

jeemak
26-10-2018, 07:23 PM
What are the chances of legal action over the unfairness of the draw and the distribution of marquee games ?
Surely Peter would be able to mount a decent case against the AFL and its cohorts.

No chance at all.

The AFL would point to the policy of generating revenue and distribution of compensatory funds.

bulldogtragic
26-10-2018, 07:33 PM

None. The members and fans if we want a blockbuster packed out game should come up with an unofficial '*!*!*!*! the AFEL' round game. Once a year, the game decided at the members/fans choosing and pack the thing out with FTA gear on and bringing that last game at WO against WCE type energy. The AFL security would stop entry if wearing the FTA gear so tell them we support Free Trade Agreements (FTA) and point to our Free Trade Agreement supporters currently in Vietnam, China among others. That's the only way we are getting a sell out special game. I kind of like the sound of it actually. Maybe play some NWA, but dub 'AFEL' over 'police' and now we've got an anthem too. This thing is making itself.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-10-2018, 10:25 PM
No chance at all.

The AFL would point to the policy of generating revenue and distribution of compensatory funds.

No doubt, but as we know it's false logic. If they gave smaller clubs the exposure and opportunity to grow their brand there would be less pressure for the AFL to provide conpensation and by extension less platform for the large clubs to whine and moan about having to hand over their 'honestly earned revenue ' to support the smaller clubs.

jeemak
27-10-2018, 12:50 AM
No doubt, but as we know it's false logic. If they gave smaller clubs the exposure and opportunity to grow their brand there would be less pressure for the AFL to provide conpensation and by extension less platform for the large clubs to whine and moan about having to hand over their 'honestly earned revenue ' to support the smaller clubs.

Absolutely, but the big clubs and the AFL want it exactly how it is. The pissing and moaning's of the former just represents posturing to ensure their position isn't threatened.

bornadog
27-10-2018, 12:54 AM
I think we need to switch to a conference.

Conference one: Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond and Essendon play each other every week

Conference two: The rest

Go_Dogs
27-10-2018, 07:40 AM
Peter Gordon and Eddie McGuire need to get around this. A club that cheated, and continues to find a way to rort the salary cap, continues to be rewarded and propped up by the AFL despite not winning a final for close to 20 years.

This is a pathetic decision.

Let the smaller clubs grow and the revenue will come.

jeemak
30-10-2018, 09:56 PM
This is something we already knew, but in plain language Shiel has confirmed the chance to play in Dreamtime at the G and ANZAC fixtures got him over the line to join the Bombres.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/choosing-bombers-was-a-close-call-shiel-20181030-p50d01.html

It's fantastic and great for footy if they'll be given Good Friday as well...…….just a little frustrating for the rest of us I suppose.

We'll be stuck with this type of thing until the AFL realises its strategy of not growing the under-exposed clubs as quickly as they could is moronic.

GVGjr
31-10-2018, 08:20 AM
So the worst kept secret has now been confirmed it's North vs Essendon and West Coast vs Port Power for the Good Friday games.

It's doubtful that we can get back into consideration now.

chef
31-10-2018, 08:49 AM
Yeah, time to forget about this game and not waste time worrying about it.

angelopetraglia
31-10-2018, 09:15 AM
Bombers. Zero finals wins in 14 seasons. Not only that, drag the league into disrepute via running an illicit PED program.

It's all good. Let's reward this incompetent club. 9 Thu/Fri night games. ANZAC Day. Good Friday.

AshMac
31-10-2018, 09:36 AM
Bit of a paradox really - we definitely didn’t play good enough footy in 2018 to deserve a marquee game next year, but without one we’re not going to build the brand to pull supporters nor the draw for stars to want to come and play for us.

My point is, We need to play better to earn it. But really... Essendon? Come on! Might as well make it the second Dons v Pies game for the year and officially throw all this equalisation PR fluff out the window.

bornadog
31-10-2018, 10:16 AM
Essendon? Come on!

I think the majority of supporters will be thinking the same.

One club that perhaps should have been given the game if the AFL wanted a bigger club, is Hawthorn. Arguably the most successful club in the past 50 plus years, yet they are not really involved in a blockbuster like ANZAC Day, dreamtime etc etc.

soupman
31-10-2018, 12:05 PM
I think the majority of supporters will be thinking the same.

One club that perhaps should have been given the game if the AFL wanted a bigger club, is Hawthorn. Arguably the most successful club in the past 50 plus years, yet they are not really involved in a blockbuster like ANZAC Day, dreamtime etc etc.

Easter Monday with Geelong

bulldogtragic
31-10-2018, 12:08 PM
Yeah, time to forget about this game and not waste time worrying about it.

Yep. Time to look forward now, just another BS AFEL thing. We need to be successful despite the AFEL, as per usual. So let's focus on that.

ledge
31-10-2018, 12:45 PM
So explain all The Carlton Friday night games if it’s about performing.
And explain saints getting the Good Friday game last year when our game pulled a crowd and a close quality game.
The saints have been horrid for years and don’t pull a crowd , pretty much like North Melbourne crowd wise.
All the excuses contradict themselves, sounds like management at my work, they make a decision tell you how they came to it then the next decision goes against all the reasons they made the last decision.

Dancin' Douggy
31-10-2018, 06:01 PM
My deep and bitter loathing of the AFL and Effingdon just got bitterer and deeper.

Hotdog60
31-10-2018, 08:00 PM
They wanted the crowd figures to drop so they can use it as an excuse to bring in the bigger club.
Purely manufactured from the beginning and now they will hope the Bummers will flog the Roos so they give another highly supported club a game.
What we need is all the neutral supporters to not attend and not watch it on the TV.

Topdog
31-10-2018, 11:50 PM
Bit of a paradox really - we definitely didn’t play good enough footy in 2018 to deserve a marquee game next year, but without one we’re not going to build the brand to pull supporters nor the draw for stars to want to come and play for us.

My point is, We need to play better to earn it. But really... Essendon? Come on! Might as well make it the second Dons v Pies game for the year and officially throw all this equalisation PR fluff out the window.

Why do people keep talking about clubs having to "earn" it? It doesnt exist, Carlton had 7 Thu/Fri games in was it 2017?

AshMac
01-11-2018, 09:04 AM
Why do people keep talking about clubs having to "earn" it? It doesnt exist, Carlton had 7 Thu/Fri games in was it 2017?

Of course we have to earn it - we are a lower tier club. Emotion aside, there is no commercial sense in putting the dogs up for marquee games - aside from the argument of equalisation which is BS in every way but $$ handouts.

I haven’t seen it but I imagine Gil’s bonus structure is 70% revenue, 20% crowd size and 10% engagement fans/quality of game.

Carlton have 50k+ active members after 10 years of hugging the bottom half of the ladder - I imagine the AFL are desperate for them to succeed as they’ll have 20-40k dormant fans just dying to get behind winning and pretend they’ve been on the journey. They’re still a top tier club despite being an absolute basket case.

Yes - it s**ts me that is the case, tired of hearing all the equalisation BS from the AFL but then be subjected to fixturing, compensation for FA and how they promote the sport but it’s how it is. Bottom line - if we want to be recognised and rewarded with a bigger membership base and marquee time slots then we need to win more games and play better footy over a sustained period.

GVGjr
01-11-2018, 09:17 AM
It's a very much uneven competition when the smaller clubs don't get a chance to grow their membership and sponsorship by having a fair smattering of high profiled and prime time games.

The AFL were in a unique position where they could have easily given North and us a chance to grow the game on Good Fridays over say a 3 or 4 year time frame instead they really just didn't give it a chance.

bulldogtragic
01-11-2018, 10:22 AM
It's a very much uneven competition when the smaller clubs don't get a chance to grow their membership and sponsorship by having a fair smattering of high profiled and prime time games.

The AFL were in a unique position where they could have easily given North and us a chance to grow the game on Good Fridays over say a 3 or 4 year time frame instead they really just didn't give it a chance.

I hate what I'm about to say, but the AFEL did give us a chance in 2017. We were all over Friday nights, good Friday, Saturday nights and a good split between FTA and Foxtel. Mercedes saw that exposure and jumped on/committed. We *!*!*!*!ed ourselves here, no one else to blame. I said at the time the 22 players on GF day didn't just win a flag, they set us up financially in the long term and that's a great legacy. But many of those 22 and others who gave life to our financial state, then went and shot their great legacy in the back of the head. The standard we played at in prime time justified the AFEL taking them away. Sure the AFEL were waiting for a reason to take them away, but the pathetic standard we played at for many prime time games in 2017 was embarrassing. Frankly the way we played in many good TV slot games this year was atrocious too. The good Friday snub is utter bullshit, but we were given a rolled gold chance to elevate the club into the next category up.

Your point that it's generally an uneven playing field is not disputed, but in our individual case if Biggs did more 'wall of Biggs' and not Instragraming, if Dahl was 'motovated', if Libba wasn't on a bender still, if Stringer wasn't a footy club cancer, if we used ruckman for the season and so on and so on, maybe we at least sneak into finals in 2017, maybe win an extra prime time game or two, maybe we keep more of the prime time games we lost. Sometimes we all have to put our hands up and own our own behaviour, to take responsibility for the outcome of our actions. This is one such case. We made our bed, then shit in it, now we have to lie in it until the players and coaches collectively cam demonstrate we have a new sustainable brand of footy that the general public will want to watch (thus the AFEL and Ch 7 make more money). The sooner this happens the better, or wait for Mercedes to walk out the door at the end of the contract. Or keep hearing the Shiels & Wingard's talk about big games drawing them to other clubs. It's not a level playing field I agree, but we blew the chance to move the club to the other (good) side of the playing field. The saboteurs have been moved on, now let's see if the coach changes things up with a bunch of kids and turn our trajectory around.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-11-2018, 12:16 PM
Hard to argue with any of that BT which is why I was so vocal in 2017.

Many took the line of "doesn't matter, we won a flag" but I wanted us to capitalise in every sense of the word. There was a huge opportunity to continue to grow the club off the back of a fairytale ending but we absolutely blew it like few have before us.

I remember having a few debates with posters on this forum about our 2017 season while it was happening. I'd say 8/10 were satsified with the premiership and either thought we'd click into gear or were too busy watching replays, even early in the year when we were struggling to beat woeful sides like Brisbane. Sad thing is, our supporters/members weren't alone - the whole club was asleep at the wheel daydreaming about the past.

Subsequently, two years on and we are complaining about having no prime time exposure. Is it wrong? Yes, it's utter BS that a cheating scumbag club like Essendon are continually rewarded but by the same token we had our own destiny in our hands and we threw it up against the wall.

SquirrelGrip
01-11-2018, 01:51 PM
This year’s Good Friday game is all about the following week’s ANZAC Day game. Brisbane’s only got its Easter Thursday game so they could give Collingwood a break before ANZAC Day. Same with Essendon and this year’s Good Friday. What they should have done is send the Bombers over to Perth for the later Good Friday game to give them the break and then had us or Saints play North. That would have also produced better TV ratings in Melbourne overall.

What I’d love to see for Good Friday is a rotating three-way between us, North and Saints. The winner gets to host the game next year, the loser gives way to the other team. It would generate a great 3-way rivalry and provide a unique element to a marquee game. The Royal Children’s Hospital Shield.

bornadog
01-11-2018, 04:42 PM
I hate what I'm about to say, but the AFEL did give us a chance in 2017. We were all over Friday nights, good Friday, Saturday nights and a good split between FTA and Foxtel.

It was great to play 9 Thursday/Friday matches, but only two were home games.

bulldogtragic
01-11-2018, 05:37 PM

At least we had the exposure that came from them. Home games at Etihad were still under the old shit deal from a revenue perspective. That exposure closed Mercedes I dare say. If we waited until the end of 2017 to get Mercedes, do you think we even get their ink? We had a golden chance in 2017 to grow all aspects of the club. The players didn't take it, so now it's back to the same old thing again. Hopefully, if we get the chance to be premiers again, there's a cautionary tale here.

bornadog
01-11-2018, 06:10 PM
At least we had the exposure that came from them. Home games at Etihad were still under the old shit deal from a revenue perspective. That exposure closed Mercedes I dare say. If we waited until the end of 2017 to get Mercedes, do you think we even get their ink? We had a golden chance in 2017 to grow all aspects of the club. The players didn't take it, so now it's back to the same old thing again. Hopefully, if we get the chance to be premiers again, there's a cautionary tale here.

After the premiership in 2016, I said to my wife, my biggest concern is going backwards and not making finals :mad:

I want a dynasty, I want more premierships and I want to see us finish on top of the ladder after the H&A - something we have never achieved. I have never said at least we won a premiership, I am hungry like the wolf.

As per every year, I am optimistic about next year. :D

AshMac
01-11-2018, 06:33 PM

I agree.

Also doubt you are saying this, but it’s more than just the players. The coaching staff have to take a huge look at themselves. I can understand a bunch of 23 year old lads flying off the rails, they needed to be reigned in and they weren’t. I’m the most disappointed hat we didn’t go hard for some solid experience in our coaching staff this year. Would have loved Ratten, but surely he is eyeing the senior job at saints when richo surely gets the ass after next season.

hujsh
01-11-2018, 07:05 PM

Who cares? As BT said you play those games for the exposure and home or away you're one of two teams in the prime time slot.

GVGjr
01-11-2018, 07:19 PM
The Western Bulldogs want another crack at Good Friday game (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the-western-bulldogs-want-another-crack-at-good-friday-game-20181101-p50dd7.html)

The AFL have not closed the door on the Western Bulldogs playing on Good Friday once again despite overlooking them in the slot in consecutive seasons.

The Bulldogs will catch up with the AFL soon to ensure they are considered for the slot in the future after Essendon was drawn to play North Melbourne on Good Friday this season at Marvel Stadium.

Good Friday football drew just 33,966 people in 2018 when St Kilda played the Kangaroos after attracting 42,814 the previous season when the Western Bulldogs played North Melbourne in the first game ever played on Good Friday.

A sell-out is expected next season when the Bombers play North Melbourne in round five and the AFL is keen to eventually lock in the fixture so the same opponents play each other on Good Friday for three to five years.

Head of AFL Fixturing Travis Auld said the Western Bulldogs remained a chance to play on that day again.

"We haven't locked in the opponents. North have had the [Good Friday] game for three years and they have been pushing for that opportunity for a long time," Auld said.

"The Bulldogs were the opponent in year one and did a really, really good job. I know they are interested in it [and we're] happy to have a conversation about the role they might play going forward.

"We need to make a decision about whether at some stage we lock in the two teams for a period of time ... that is a conversation we will have after this has all settled down."

It's understood the Bulldogs were frustrated that the investment they put in to make Good Friday a success had not been rewarded with another game scheduled in that slot and some clubs are concerned that all the marquee slots go to the same clubs rather than being shared across the competition.

Western Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains told the club website that they were happy overall with the fixture but they would continue to push to play on Good Friday.

"Our major disappointment is again missing out on being involved in a Good Friday game after the great success of the inaugural event in 2017, when we successfully partnered with North Melbourne," Bains said.

"We firmly believe opportunities for marquee games need to be more evenly shared across the competition.

"Regardless, we will continue to support this concept, and the Good Friday appeal, in the strong hope that we can again be part of this fixture in 2020."

This year there will be two games played on Good Friday after West Coast requested the chance to play a home game on the public holiday and they have been drawn to play Port Adelaide at Optus Stadium that night after North Melbourne plays Essendon.

bornadog
01-11-2018, 11:30 PM
AFL can get stuffed as far as I am concerned.