PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 4, 2017 vs North Melbourne

Eastdog
10-04-2017, 12:50 AM
This is the round 4, 2017 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against North Melbourne is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Optional: New addition to the Bankers and Anchors Banchors 3 players we thought who were in the middle in how they went in the game neither a Banker or Anchor.

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
14-04-2017, 08:02 PM
B

Tom Campbell - Huge effort virtually solo
Dahl - Huge effort virtually solo
Getting 4 points

A

Worst umpiring in recent memory. One team got HTB frees, the other didn't.
The weak dog for jumping off the ground into Cloke after disposal, possibly breaking ribs. You better get weeks.
Not a showcase game the AFEL wanted.

westbulldog
14-04-2017, 09:13 PM
B
Luke Dalhaus - in everything, resilient, never gives up and very talented.
Tom Campbell - big effort today carrying the ruck solo and did well.
Clay Smith - 15 tackles and hard at the ball, enough said.

A
The umpiring was totally bewildering at times.
The supposedly touched Dogs goal, shades of the GF, absolute BS. If there is doubt surely the attacking team gets the benefit.
Injuries.

jazzadogs
14-04-2017, 09:22 PM
B:
- Dahlhaus is such a pleasure to watch. Not smooth like Bont or flashy like Stringer, but his desire to win every contest is immense. Seeing his love for the club post-GF only strengthened my love for him.
- said it another thread, but Toby McLean offered plenty. Moved up the ground and was probably the most involved he's been in a match. Used it well, ran hard. Didn't lay a tackle, but otherwise great.
- I love it when Bob gets the ball on the burst in the middle of the ground. 300 games for him next week, so happy for him.

A:
- Suckling in the second quarter. Holy hell that was bad, and it's not the first time. His best is clearly in our best 22...but I won't be surprised if he is pushed out by finals again.
- forward 50 entries. Yes we have Cloke now (maybe not next week), but that doesn't mean an indiscriminate bomb into 50 is the way to attack.
- Lindsay Thomas getting to 200 games. Seriously?

SonofScray
14-04-2017, 09:24 PM
B:
1.Macrae was clean when he needed to be, which was often, in a really poor display of skills from his team mates.
2. TC, struggling to value his contributions overall but the work load he help up tonight was strong. Courageous game.
3. Smith's 3rd quarter efforts turned the game up a notch and got us over the line.

A:
1.Suckling over 3 quarters. Terrible.
2.Umpiring. Unbelievable how markedly different we are being adjudicated now compared to the past two seasons. Longmire and media have successfully primed things, negating the type of bias champion teams usually receive.
3. Higgins. Weak dog.

bornadog
14-04-2017, 09:26 PM
B:

3. Higgins. Weak ex dog.

:D

thank god for that.

SlimPickens
14-04-2017, 09:30 PM
Bankers
Grinding out a win after travel and short week, plus being a man down for the majority of the night.

Clay Smith- when things aren't going your way, you can still contribute with your attack on the ball and man. 15 tackles is a credit to you.

Dahl- gives everything he has, every week. Does the number 6 proud.

Anchors
Third man up rule is a farce. Change it, change it now.

Brad Scott- can only imagine him sooking it up big time about the umpiring.

Set shots- poor today.

merantau
14-04-2017, 09:52 PM
Bankers.
1. Dahl - the Mother of all Goers
2. Tom Campbell - his 2nd half was manful. He really lifted
3. We tuffed it out - great for team spirit.

Anchors

1. Our goal kicking. Woeful set shots
2. Too many handballs to players under the pump
3. Umpiring was awful. We really got shafted.

always right
14-04-2017, 10:13 PM
B
Tom Campbell rucked the whole game against two giants and held his own. A heroic effort.
Suckling had a bad patch but kept us going when there was little support.
We lifted when all seemed lost and managed to get another win when playing well below our best.

A
By my reckoning we didn't have one player winning their position in the first half.
Umpiring. Apparently we are the only team who dispose of the ball incorrectly.
Cheer squad. Cloke plays his 250th so we face the banner the opposite way when the team runs out so he doesn't even see his caricature and congratulatory message.

bornadog
14-04-2017, 11:10 PM
Bankers:

1. Suckling's mark and goal to give us a 3 point win

2. Campbell's rucking for the rest of the game, and even had a scare of his own and having to go off.

3. Robert's and Adams did well with spoiling and one per centers to hold the backline in the big men dept.

Anchors:

1. Poor first half with only two goals - It was embarrassing till the 10 minute mark of the 3rd quarter.

2. Our goal kicking - 17 behinds

3. North supporters bagging their team as I was leaving the ground and chuckling in my head.

comrade
14-04-2017, 11:20 PM
Gonna give myself a banker for utilising our premiership to shut down a North flog.

McLean gathered possession and said flog shouted 'you're a ducker Toby McLean' to which I replied 'that's premiership player Toby McLean, I don't see too many of them running around for your mob'. Not much you can come back with when the flag card is played.

Doc26
14-04-2017, 11:32 PM
Gonna give myself a banker for utilising our premiership to shut down a North flog.

McLean gathered possession and said flog shouted 'you're a ducker Toby McLean' to which I replied 'that's premiership player Toby McLean, I don't see too many of them running around for your mob'. Not much you can come back with when the flag card is played.

Funny Comrade, had a similar experience with dropping the flag line on Twitter during the week, sticking up for a Mark Stevens Tweet.

@Stevo7AFL A lot of Jordan Roughead in the Gawn injury .. big blow.

@theriddler420 Are you really comparing Jordan Roughhead to Max Gawn

@Doc26 You're right. One's a proven premiership winning ruckman. The other isn't.

comrade
14-04-2017, 11:36 PM
Funny Comrade, had a similar experience dropping the flag line as well on Twitter during the week, sticking up for a Mark Stevens Tweet.

Gold. We've waited 62 years to wield the flag as a weapon against a legion of footy flogs. I say do it and do it often.

Ozza
14-04-2017, 11:45 PM
Bankers:

Dahlhaus - Huge game from him. So much spirit and tenacity - did everything he could
Macrae - so clean, and works so hard for his team mates.
Bob - Mucked a few things up early - but gave us the run we needed off half back to start playing better footy.

Banchor - Sucking - Worst 26 possession, 2 goal game that you'd ever see. Good on him for responding after a mare of a first half.

Anchors:

T.Boyd - for again dropping a fair dinkum pie, and this time getting knocked out in the process of trying to clean up the mess. Bloody hell.
M.Boyd - Isn't playing with the same confidence. The way that the team is being thrown around isn't suiting him. If he isn't in defence, then I'm not sure where he is.
Overuse of handball. Think at times we are trying to be too perfect, and going 2 or 3 handballs too many in a chain.

Remi Moses
15-04-2017, 01:01 AM
Bankers - Luke Dahlhaus was outstanding
- Tom Campbell's very gutsy second half
- the teams overall resilience is outstanding
Anchors - The contested ball is becoming an issue as are clearances ( better in the second half )
- M Boyd looked way off the pace today
- We need a more even contribution . Lot of players not firing

soupman
15-04-2017, 11:02 AM
B

A
The supposedly touched Dogs goal, shades of the GF, absolute BS. If there is doubt surely the attacking team gets the benefit.

I only saw the replays they showed at the ground, but there is no way you overturn the decision of the umpire on that evidence.

They have the balance right atm, where the goal umpires call has to be disproven to be overruled. This is one of the few rule changes they have made in the last few years where I am comfortable with the result.

The biggest drawback is te AFL's inability to get good camera footage to analyse, and to be fair it's pretty hard to do. Something like soccer where the cameras only purpose is to see if the ball went over he line is easy. AFL however they need multiple angles of pretty much anywhere in the forward 50 with a very fast ball and looking for minute touches. Much harder to pull off.

Sedat
15-04-2017, 12:51 PM
I only saw the replays they showed at the ground, but there is no way you overturn the decision of the umpire on that evidence.
The question I would have then is why are we using inconclusive technology to adjudicate on such instances? The goal umpire called touched and it should have been the end of it. Had he called goal would the goal have stood, seeing as there was no conclusive proof hat the ball was (or wasn't) was touched?

Bulldog4life
15-04-2017, 01:47 PM
Bankers:

Dahlhaus - Huge game from him. So much spirit and tenacity - did everything he could
Macrae - so clean, and works so hard for his team mates.
Bob - Mucked a few things up early - but gave us the run we needed off half back to start playing better footy.

Banchor - Sucking - Worst 26 possession, 2 goal game that you'd ever see. Good on him for responding after a mare of a first half.

Anchors:

T.Boyd - for again dropping a fair dinkum pie, and this time getting knocked out in the process of trying to clean up the mess. Bloody hell.
M.Boyd - Isn't playing with the same confidence. The way that the team is being thrown around isn't suiting him. If he isn't in defence, then I'm not sure where he is.
Overuse of handball. Think at times we are trying to be too perfect, and going 2 or 3 handballs too many in a chain.

I don't know why Tom drops those sitters so much. Hopefully he can get back to his Grand Final form soon.

Flamethrower
15-04-2017, 01:59 PM
Gold. We've waited 62 years to wield the flag as a weapon against a legion of footy flogs. I say do it and do it often.

Want to really annoy the haters...go with World Champion Western Bulldogs.....that brings the hate on 2 levels.

comrade
15-04-2017, 02:03 PM
Want to really annoy the haters...go with World Champion Western Bulldogs.....that brings the hate on 2 levels.

Nice one. Will definitely give that a crack.

Webby
15-04-2017, 02:09 PM
I don't know why Tom drops those sitters so much. Hopefully he can get back to his Grand Final form soon.

An observation on Tom Boyd is that he seems to drop more sitters under the roof than outdoors. Don't know if it's the lights or if the ball travels a touch quicker indoors or what, but he certainly seems to play better footy outdoors.

comrade
15-04-2017, 02:16 PM
An observation on Tom Boyd is that he seems to drop more sitters under the roof than outdoors. Don't know if it's the lights or if the ball travels a touch quicker indoors or what, but he certainly seems to play better footy outdoors.

Don't care if he has to play in Raybans, he needs to do something about it. It's indefensible.

Eastdog
15-04-2017, 03:09 PM
Bankers

Dahlhaus - he is such a hard worker

Bob - liked some of the things he did

Libba marking in the forward 50 last quarter to get us a vital goal

My Banchor

Suckling - turn it over quite a bit but did good in other parts as well

Anchors

Inaccuracy in front of goal 12.17 and 2.9 at one stage could have done better there.

Dropped Marks

Our turnovers - need to reduce these

G-Mo77
15-04-2017, 03:24 PM
Bankers

Campbell. Had to step up after last week and got thrown into the fire after Boyd went down. Held up really well. Gutsy game!

Dahlhaus. Just a dam warrior!

2nd half of football. It was awful to watch in the 1st half. Both teams put on a great display in the 2nd half. Would have entertained the hoopleheads watching at home. (Sorry been wanting to throw that word in somewhere for ages)

Anchors

1st half, both clubs. Absolute dribble.

Fake tough guys still parading around at Norf.

Umpiring. Just can't get a balance. Holding the ball looks like it's dead this week.

soupman
15-04-2017, 04:37 PM
The question I would have then is why are we using inconclusive technology to adjudicate on such instances? The goal umpire called touched and it should have been the end of it. Had he called goal would the goal have stood, seeing as there was no conclusive proof hat the ball was (or wasn't) was touched?

We are limited by technology in our game. They can't get a great shot of every scoring opportunity.

The one yesterday was deemed inconclusive and thus reverted to "umpires call". If the umpire had have called it a goal it would have been one. Unfortunately for us it went the other way.

ratsmac
16-04-2017, 02:51 AM
Bankers

1. Beating Norf.
2. Campbell & Pig for redeeming themselves with excellent football after terrible first halves.
3. Team effort for never dropping their heads when everything was turning to shite.

Anchors

1. Juicy juicy green grass!!! WTF!! what kind of half time entertainment was that.
2. Umpiring was B grade. Non decisions, throwing the ball when its clearing a handball
3. Injuries.

SlimPickens
16-04-2017, 08:40 AM
Bankers

Anchors
1. Juicy juicy green grass!!! WTF!! what kind of half time entertainment was that.

My daughter loved it (she's 3), knew the dance moves and all. Guess it was something to do with the day being about the kids hospital appeal.

Webby
16-04-2017, 09:35 AM
I actually texted my Norf supporting mate with a "WTF?!" when "I get my newspaper everyday" and "Juicy, juicy green grass" got a run.

Next morning I googled the singer - Peter Combe. He's a reasonably well known 1980's kids musician who contributed a lot of songs to the ABC Sing books that are prevalent in state schools.

I realised I actually knew one of his songs, "Spaghetti Bolognaise."

It didn't make a lot of sense on the night, but made complete sense in the morning... The antithesis of my normal scenario!

Not a bad thought to have a kids entertainer.

westbulldog
16-04-2017, 11:55 AM
That particular goal umpire in the North game must have supernatural sensory powers. The GF non-goal was roundly condemned as being a farcical decision.

ratsmac
16-04-2017, 12:00 PM
My daughter loved it (she's 3), knew the dance moves and all. Guess it was something to do with the day being about the kids hospital appeal.

I actually texted my Norf supporting mate with a "WTF?!" when "I get my newspaper everyday" and "Juicy, juicy green grass" got a run.

Next morning I googled the singer - Peter Combe. He's a reasonably well known 1980's kids musician who contributed a lot of songs to the ABC Sing books that are prevalent in state schools.

I realised I actually knew one of his songs, "Spaghetti Bolognaise."

It didn't make a lot of sense on the night, but made complete sense in the morning... The antithesis of my normal scenario!

Not a bad thought to have a kids entertainer.

OK that shines a bit of light on it. I had no idea he was a children's singer. I have still never of heard of him and neither had my 16 year old. The stadium done him no justice. Was there no time for some sound checks?? I was level one wing and the sound was awful. I retract my anchor.

comrade
16-04-2017, 12:08 PM
Not sure an obscure children's entertainer from the 80s was the correct choice for the audience.

SlimPickens
16-04-2017, 12:22 PM
Not sure an obscure children's entertainer from the 80s was the correct choice for the audience.

Thought the same and than my daughter got her dance moves on.

Go_Dogs
16-04-2017, 01:21 PM
Thought the same and than my daughter got her dance moves on.

Recall seeing him a few times when I was 3-5. Must be an Adelaide thing.

boydogs
16-04-2017, 01:22 PM
Peter Coombe was my favourite singer when I was 9

I guess that's what you get when you claim a game centred around the Royal Children's Hospital Appeal titled Kick For The Kids

bulldogtragic
16-04-2017, 01:29 PM
Banker:

Adams for trying to kick the air out of the footy every time he got it. Much better.

comrade
16-04-2017, 01:47 PM
Banker:

Adams for trying to kick the air out of the footy every time he got it. Much better.

Yep, he was very good overall.

Daughter of the West
19-04-2017, 11:53 AM
Recall seeing him a few times when I was 3-5. Must be an Adelaide thing.

Nah, probably just an age thing. Hubby from Perth and me from Melbourne are well versed in his material - he was huge when we were in kinder/early primary school. He now does over-age concerts for the "big kids" every couple of years or so, I caught him at a packed out Ding Dong Lounge a little while ago (and may have downed a few too many Juicy Green Grass shots...).