PDA

View Full Version : Three things I've learned. Round 4 vs North

Twodogs
14-04-2017, 06:42 PM
Tell us three things.

Then if you want tell us three more.

bulldogtragic
14-04-2017, 07:56 PM
1. Bevo must call the umpires boss. That was disgusting, playing against 25 men.
2. Bob plays 300 next week.
3. Let's never talk about this game, bar noting 4 premiership points.

GVGjr
14-04-2017, 08:01 PM
Thanks BT, I got caught up with the game

Stefcep
14-04-2017, 08:04 PM
Only one for me: Any free we get in our favour from here on will be 200% earned.

Rocket Science
14-04-2017, 08:09 PM
1) We're not playing well enough to carry Suckling.
2) We're not playing well enough to carry Campbell.
3) Thought it was impossible to loathe Lindsay Thomas any more than I did. I was wrong.

lemmon
14-04-2017, 08:13 PM
1. We still aren't close to being where we should be and I think Bevo feels the same way given his look post game. We're scraping through on some class at the right times.

2. Campbell was magnificent, he was the best ruck out there today.

3. We're heavily reliant on too few at the moment. If Bonti/Stringer/Murphy/Dahl aren't sparking us, there aren't many who will get us back into it.

chef
14-04-2017, 08:17 PM
1) We're not playing well enough to carry Suckling.
2) We're not playing well enough to carry Campbell.
3) Thought it was impossible to loathe Lindsay Thomas any more than I did. I was wrong.

I thought Campbell was immense and Suckling had a good second half.

Twodogs
14-04-2017, 08:18 PM
1. Higgins is a big headed turd. Twice he took a mark on 50 and turned his back on play and burned a teamate standing all by himself in the goalsquare. Thanks Shaun.
2. This team is the Kingston Town of the football world. When the heads have stopped bobbing in a close finish it's their head that is invariably in front.
3. We really need to start playing more than one good quarter of footy every week. GWS is who we have to beat to win the flag and they are a mile in front of us at the moment. Clay smith's attack on the footy was a welcome step on the right direction.

I won't mention the umpiring. *!*!*!*!ing hell.

Twodogs
14-04-2017, 08:18 PM
1. Higgins is a big headed turd. Twice he took a mark on 50 and turned his back on play and burned a teamate standing all by himself in the goalsquare. Thanks Shaun.
2. This team is the Kingston Town of the football world. When the heads have stopped bobbing in a close finish it's their head that is invariably in front.
3. We really need to start playing more than one good quarter of footy every week. GWS is who we have to beat to win the flag and they are a mile in front of us at the moment. Clay smith's attack on the footy was a welcome step on the right direction.

I won't mention the umpiring. *!*!*!*!ing hell.

bulldogtragic
14-04-2017, 08:22 PM
Hrovat mouthing off too. Do something at all before you mouth off.

4. Another win to us, and loss to North helps us get better Hrovat compo. The trifecta.

Rocket Science
14-04-2017, 08:26 PM

I'll take a dozen of whatever you've been drinking please.

Sorry, saw it another way. Granted Campbell faced quality opposition today but honestly, he's Minson-lite, without the ability to win physical contests. Gets knocked around and out-positioned far too easily for a bloke his size in his role.

As for Suckers, he's gravy when we're going well and utterly maddening when we're not. That ain't necessarily news tho.

chef
14-04-2017, 08:31 PM

Sorry, saw it another way. Granted Campbell faced quality opposition today but honestly, he's Minson-lite, without the ability to win physical contests. Gets knocked around and out-positioned far too easily for a bloke his size in his role.

As for Suckers, he's gravy when we're going well and utterly maddening when we're not. That ain't necessarily news tho.
Haha not sure im the one drinking but i guess i just seee it different to you. I was wrapped with big Toms game.

Rocket Science
14-04-2017, 08:35 PM
Haha not sure im the one drinking but i guess i just seee it different to you. I was wrapped with big Toms game.

Ha. There may be a grain of truth in that.

May I add a fourth?

4) We've seen the handlebar 'stache, sure, but Bevo should've bearded it up sooner.

The People's Beard returns?

jeemak
14-04-2017, 08:36 PM
I thought Goldstein was the best ruck on the ground tonight, though Campbell really tried and did enough to keep us in a lot of contests and vastly improved on last week.

From last week versus this week or the weeks preceding I'm not sure I've learned anything new. We're in a holding pattern that is largely between the ears and it needs to be broken.

bulldogtragic
14-04-2017, 08:38 PM

Tom by himself against arguably the best ruckman in the comp and the assistant they reckon will be better. Career best 37 Hitouts for Tom, and laid 6 tackles. Sure when Roughy is good to go, Roughy plays, but tonight he did his role.

Suckers took a contested Mark inside 50 and kicked us to the win. He bookended the game well, with poor areas. But like Tom, he took his moment when it presented.

comrade
14-04-2017, 08:40 PM
If you take out one of the worst quarters of all time by Suckling, it was ok. Seriously, it was like he took a Valium.

Twodogs
14-04-2017, 08:45 PM
Tom was better than he was last week and better in the second half than he was in the first half today I thought.

He was utterly frustrating at times. But today wasn't his worst game. Giventhat he lost lost his main support in Boyd early I thought he battled the game out well and gradually got on top of Pruest's influence around the ground. By the end of the game Goldstein wasn't getting on the end of handball chains and running into open goals either.

Big Tom wasn't Gary Dempsey today but he wasn't Terry de Koning either. We really need Roughead back though to give us that fourth midfielder around the contest. TC isn't ever going to provide that.

bornadog
14-04-2017, 08:57 PM
1. Tom Libba is struggling and we really need him

2. Clay Smith was basically useless tonight

3. Mclean stepped up in the midfield and had a great game.

westbulldog
14-04-2017, 09:03 PM
1. The emergency umpire No'35 Andre Gianfagna should have got a gig well before the other 3.
2. Tom Campbell deserves credit for his game today as does Matt Suckling for turning his game around and being effective in the second half.
3. Once again, Fletcher Roberts is becoming a very assured defender and I am happy for my bakings of him last year to be proven wrong.

Doc26
14-04-2017, 09:08 PM

1. I thought Tom was very solid around the stoppages and grew as the game went on. Probably in our best half dozen given what he was up against in Goldstein and Preuss, with no support after TBoyd's concussion.

2. Given North have snared Higgins and Hrovat off us in consecutive drafts can we try and pry Cunnington from them. Outstanding game from him and would suit our game incredibly well.

3. What was with Easton tonight? Looked out of sorts.

lemmon
14-04-2017, 09:20 PM
1. I thought Tom was very solid around the stoppages and grew as the game went on. Probably in our best half dozen given what he was up against in Goldstein and Preuss, with no support after TBoyd's concussion.

2. Given North have snared Higgins and Hrovat off us in consecutive drafts can we try and pry Cunnington from them. Outstanding game from him and would suit our game incredibly well.

3. What was with Easton tonight? Looked out of sorts.

Have been a wrap for Cunnington for ages. He's a Scott West clone

bulldogtragic
14-04-2017, 09:23 PM
Have been a wrap for Cunnington for ages. He's a Scott West clone

We can keep our draft picks this year and get Rhylee West next year. He's literally a Scott West son/clone.

Bulldog Revolution
14-04-2017, 10:24 PM
1. Frustrating game but great we found what was required to win
2. We miss Dickson - his reliable leading, finishing and defensive work
3. Forward line needs serious thought

Jeanette54
14-04-2017, 10:26 PM
1, I thought that Tom Campbell's second and third efforts following the ruck contest reminded me of Ben Hudson. On a number of occasions he either trapped the ball in, got a handball out, or actually managed to get a kick in himself. Great improvement and effort from him.

2. Without Luke Dahlhaus we would probably be 1-3 rather than 3-1 at this stage.

3. When did random long bombs into the forwards become our preferred method of attack ?

always right
14-04-2017, 10:59 PM
If you take out one of the worst quarters of all time by Suckling, it was ok. Seriously, it was like he took a Valium.
Suckling had a shocking patch for ten minutes but otherwise he was one of the few that looked like making something happen.

hujsh
15-04-2017, 12:03 AM
1, I thought that Tom Campbell's second and third efforts following the ruck contest reminded me of Ben Hudson. On a number of occasions he either trapped the ball in, got a handball out, or actually managed to get a kick in himself. Great improvement and effort from him.

2. Without Luke Dahlhaus we would probably be 1-3 rather than 3-1 at this stage.

3. When did random long bombs into the forwards become our preferred method of attack ?

Probably 2009 or 10.

And we never looked back despite never having a forward line the suited it.

westdog54
15-04-2017, 12:19 AM
1. There aren't many things more enjoyable than watching JJ hit the ball at full speed.
2. Watching The Bont waltz through a defence and kick a goal is one of them.
3. Jake Stringer can even make 'bunny ears' look cool.

Remi Moses
15-04-2017, 12:49 AM
1. Our resilience is still there
2. The third up rule and the player nominating is an embarrassment
3. Brad Scott still carries on like a fanboy in the coaches box . It's embarrassing !

G-Mo77
15-04-2017, 01:01 AM

This is my knock. Look to his credit he put the howlers in the 1st half behind him and was a key to getting the win. I still think he struggles to make best 22 if we're healthy.

The bulldog tragician
15-04-2017, 01:03 AM
Tom was better than he was last week and better in the second half than he was in the first half today I thought.

He was utterly frustrating at times. But today wasn't his worst game. Giventhat he lost lost his main support in Boyd early I thought he battled the game out well and gradually got on top of Pruest's influence around the ground. By the end of the game Goldstein wasn't getting on the end of handball chains and running into open goals either.

Big Tom wasn't Gary Dempsey today but he wasn't Terry de Koning either. We really need Roughead back though to give us that fourth midfielder around the contest. TC isn't ever going to provide that.

I can't think of three things, because I'm chortling too much at the Terry de Koning reference. Well played Two Dogs!!! I thought I'd forgotten all about him. But it now all comes back to me... priceless..

Dry Rot
15-04-2017, 01:14 AM
1. North are a dirty side

2. I don't miss Higgins

3. I would never ever want to be tackled by Clay Smith

ratsmac
15-04-2017, 09:53 AM
1. No teams this year are easy beats. Norf have surprised me and 0-4 doesn't reflect their form but because they are a dirty filthy scumbag club coached by an absolute tosser, they deserve it.

2. Tom Campbell is a competitor. He was terrible first half but he was part of the reason we worked back into the game. With a bit of confidence he could be a decent ruckman.

3. Our team defence that won as the flag has vanished. We used to be hard to score against but teams are cutting us to shreds. I think its a concern and if we don't sort it out we will struggle to make top 4.

Happy Days
15-04-2017, 12:56 PM
1. Jack Ziebell is a workplace hazard and Worksafe needs to get involved. He's a stupid, stupid footballer who has no regard, and is much a danger to himself as he is to others.

2. Libba can't and shouldn't play full time forward. The sooner Dickson gets back and we can stop this subtraction by substitution of small forwards the better.

3. There is no one that you would rather have the ball in their hands with the game on the line than Lindsay Thomas (provided you support the other team).

Bulldog4life
15-04-2017, 01:06 PM
Clay out of touch but finished like a freight train with 14 tackles

I hope Ziebell's hit on Cloke is looked at by the MRP

Our 7th win in a row in close games. Well done doggies.

Scorlibo
15-04-2017, 01:26 PM
1. Toby McLean can be a midfielder
2. Umpires are looking much harder for throws with our side than with others. Dahlhaus free against was a shambles.
3. Stringer has turned the corner, just needs to start holding his marks.

Sedat
15-04-2017, 01:31 PM
3. Stringer has turned the corner, just needs to start holding his marks.
His defensive work and repeat efforts since being dropped late last year have gone up about ten-fold - even in the finals last year where he was clearly rusty from an attacking sense he worked his backside off defensively, which has continued this season so far.

I do hate the simple marks he drops - he actually has really poor hands in the marking contest.

Happy Days
15-04-2017, 01:33 PM
His defensive work and repeat efforts since being dropped late last year have gone up about ten-fold - even in the finals last year where he was clearly rusty from an attacking sense he worked his backside off defensively, which has continued this season so far.

I do hate the simple marks he drops - he actually has really poor hands in the marking contest.

What would the count be on how many times he's gotten up for what would be a colossal hanger, only to spill it? I reckon it's at least at 20 without a grab.

comrade
15-04-2017, 01:41 PM
Our 2 premium forwards (Boyd & Stringer) have the marking ability of my 4 year old.

Flamethrower
15-04-2017, 01:42 PM
1. Word is that the AFL Commission initiated the rule to ban the 3rd man up in ruck contests, and strongly encouraged the AFL Rules Committee to recommend the implementation of the rule back to the same commission. What a farce.....it wasn't a problem, and now it is severly broken.

2. The catalyst for the AFL Commission to change the above rule was a one off injury to Kurt Tippett during last year's Qualifying Final against the GWS. Tippett is the least resisliant player in the history of humanity. The same Tippett that 2 weeks ago left the game against us complaining of a broken ankle. It was later diagnosed as a minor ligament strain. Dale Morris played a whole finals series with 2 fractured vertebrae in his back. Nat Fyfe played with a real broken leg.

Stop making rule changes for soft players.

3. The first Good Friday game was rather underwheling on all counts. It wasn't a failure, but it was hardly an outrageous success either.

Twodogs
15-04-2017, 02:05 PM
I can't think of three things, because I'm chortling too much at the Terry de Koning reference. Well played Two Dogs!!! I thought I'd forgotten all about him. But it now all comes back to me... priceless..

Terry has a son who is eligible for the draft this year. Evidently the boy can play a bit.

I think he actually has really good hands. His problem is that he drops his head before he has complete control of the ball.

As for taking the hanger I think one of our guys should be the scapegoat and line himself up in front of Jake so Jake can take a hanger over him and just get it out of his system. Maybe one of the guys close to selection could volunteer to get a spot in the seniors?:D

Our 2 premium forwards (Boyd & Stringer) have the marking ability of my 4 year old.

Look on the bright side. At least the little tike has plenty of time left for coaching and practice. He will get the hang of it.

always right
15-04-2017, 03:09 PM
3. The first Good Friday game was rather underwheling on all counts. It wasn't a failure, but it was hardly an outrageous success either.

What were you expecting and where did it fall short?

bornadog
15-04-2017, 08:37 PM

42,000 supporters, close finish and a big TV audience. Tell me what would have made it better??

GVGjr
15-04-2017, 09:28 PM
42,000 supporters, close finish and a big TV audience. Tell me what would have made it better??

I agree, it was dour struggle in the first half but I was sitting on the edge of the seat in the last quarter and most of the 3rd.

bornadog
15-04-2017, 11:04 PM
I agree, it was dour struggle in the first half but I was sitting on the edge of the seat in the last quarter and most of the 3rd.

Even though the first half was frustrating, it was a great battle between the clubs. Very defensive stuff, and tough football.

GVGjr
16-04-2017, 03:51 AM
Even though the first half was frustrating, it was a great battle between the clubs. Very defensive stuff, and tough football.

Agreed, a great advertisement of a game that changed tempo.

The was some speculation on the ABC that we will get the home game next year

Apparently the AFL might feel like they owe Carlton because it was originally a combined bid with North that pushed the proposal.
I think Gordon was the catalyst behind us being jumped into consideration.

bornadog
16-04-2017, 09:21 AM
Agreed, a great advertisement of a game that changed tempo.

The was some speculation on the ABC that we will get the home game next year

Apparently the AFL might feel like they owe Carlton because it was originally a combined bid with North that pushed the proposal.
I think Gordon was the catalyst behind us being jumped into consideration.

We put our bid in with The Saints because North preferred Carlton. They probably thought we couldn't attract a crowd.

Richmond, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Melbourne all have a set game every year and should not be allowed anywhere near the Good Friday game.

SlimPickens
16-04-2017, 09:35 AM
We put our bid in with The Saints because North preferred Carlton. They probably thought we couldn't attract a crowd.

Richmond, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Melbourne all have a set game every year and should not be allowed anywhere near the Good Friday game.

No doubt the 23 thousand that turned up watch the blues last night, would have North regretting the AFL decision :rolleyes:. When will clubs realise that Carlton aren't a big club anymore?

1eyedog
16-04-2017, 09:42 AM
Back on topic

1. We've banked 12 points, very happy we are getting early wins. It's a tough competition and a long year.

2. Tom Boyd is the worst uncontested mark in the team. I was so frustrated by the manner in which he removed himself from the game.

3. Brad Scott should have a little Children's hospital patient with him in the box and in the media centre every week to learn some respect, humility and dignity.

Webby
16-04-2017, 09:46 AM
Not 3 things, but thought it interesting to note that Friday's win puts us into the black for all time head to head VFL/AFL clashes against Norf.

78-77. Seeing as we joined the comp on the same day, have actually played more games against Norf than any other club and are neighbouring clubs of similar size, I've always kept an eye on that tally.

FYI, it means we now have an all time winning record over nine past and present clubs. If we can get a hold of Hawthorn, Brisbane and Richmond over the next five or so years, we will add another three.

A pretty honest effort for a club with only two flags..

SlimPickens
16-04-2017, 10:16 AM
I hope Ziebell's hit on Cloke is looked at by the MRP

Surely not. It was a hard hit to the body, which didn't even warrant a free kick. The fact Cloke got hurt was more to the position he was in after kicking the ball. I'd hope our blokes would apply similar physicality on the opposition when the opportunity arises.

ledge
16-04-2017, 11:36 AM
Surely not. It was a hard hit to the body, which didn't even warrant a free kick. The fact Cloke got hurt was more to the position he was in after kicking the ball. I'd hope our blokes would apply similar physicality on the opposition when the opportunity arises.

What has him in trouble in my eyes is at no stage did Zeibell look at the ball and was always on a straight line to Cloke , his whole intention was the man not the ball ,it was a straight on shirt front with no other aim, he knew that Cloke would get rid of the ball in time. Anyone who had played the game could see it was intentional, don't forget it's a different age now it's the players responsibility to not put a person out of the game deliberately, if you do there will be consequences, that was as deliberate as you could get to a player who was wide open.
Ten years ago it would have been called great timing and a great hit but nowadays it's not in the spirit of the game to do what he did.
Maybe Cloke copping it in a previous game could shine a light to the AFL he is a marked player to the opposition and is in danger of serious injury if it continues ( already out for 6 weeks because of it )

boydogs
16-04-2017, 11:59 AM

Hawthorn & Geelong have Easter Monday locked away. That leaves us, North & St Kilda

SlimPickens
16-04-2017, 12:14 PM
What has him in trouble in my eyes is at no stage did Zeibell look at the ball and was always on a straight line to Cloke , his whole intention was the man not the ball ,it was a straight on shirt front with no other aim, he knew that Cloke would get rid of the ball in time. Anyone who had played the game could see it was intentional, don't forget it's a different age now it's the players responsibility to not put a person out of the game deliberately, if you do there will be consequences, that was as deliberate as you could get to a player who was wide open.
Ten years ago it would have been called great timing and a great hit but nowadays it's not in the spirit of the game to do what he did.
Maybe Cloke copping it in a previous game could shine a light to the AFL he is a marked player to the opposition and is in danger of serious injury if it continues ( already out for 6 weeks because of it )

Yes but if you can't impact by smothering, you have to attempt to disturb the kick in another manner. Physical intimidation is part of this. Of course it was intentional and if anything was untoward than it should of been a free kick, nothing more.

comrade
16-04-2017, 12:16 PM
I'd be happy with a rotating Good Friday fixture between Dogs/Saints/Roos.

The club that wins stays on next year to play the team that missed out.

The bulldog tragician
16-04-2017, 12:58 PM
I'd be happy with a rotating Good Friday fixture between Dogs/Saints/Roos.

The club that wins stays on next year to play the team that missed out.

I really like this idea. It frustrates me that some clubs have their ' blockbuster' spots locked away no matter how they're travelling. This has an element of fairness to it.

comrade
16-04-2017, 01:04 PM
I really like this idea. It frustrates me that some clubs have their ' blockbuster' spots locked away no matter how they're travelling. This has an element of fairness to it.

It would also add an extra element of competitiveness to the game, even if one team is 'better' than the other. No club will want to lose the exposure.

boydogs
16-04-2017, 01:04 PM

And some blockbusters are more equal than others. You could argue that the games are what the clubs have made of them, but ours being on a religious holiday and 4 day long weekend against low drawing opposition is much different to what Essendon get

Bulldog Joe
16-04-2017, 01:15 PM

I don't often find reason to disagree with your posts, but I feel you are way off the mark with this one.

While a free was not paid it was certainly warranted. The hit was significantly after the ball had been disposed of and Zeibell left the ground to cannon into Cloke.
In my view he had plenty of opportunity to stop and instead chose to continue with the intent of harming his opponent. He also ensured his knees impacted as they came to ground. Zeibell should get weeks.

SlimPickens
16-04-2017, 01:30 PM
I don't often find reason to disagree with your posts, but I feel you are way off the mark with this one.

While a free was not paid it was certainly warranted. The hit was significantly after the ball had been disposed of and Zeibell left the ground to cannon into Cloke.
In my view he had plenty of opportunity to stop and instead chose to continue with the intent of harming his opponent. He also ensured his knees impacted as they came to ground. Zeibell should get weeks.

Fair enough. My take is Ziebell had committed to bump Cloke before the ball had left his foot and after watching it a couple more times I still think that's the case. It was genuinely a split second decision between to bump or smother. He won't even get looked at, not to mention not one of our players remonstrated with Ziebell. That speaks volumes to me, we always fly the flag when we feel aggrieved.

bornadog
16-04-2017, 01:38 PM

that is how I saw it as well. Ziebell was way too late.

Rocket Science
16-04-2017, 01:53 PM
Interesting that card-carrying thug Barney Rubble reckons Ziebell should be looked at hard by the MRP.

Twodogs
16-04-2017, 01:59 PM
Ziebell had a chance to pull out but chose to apply the hit when he knew Cloke wouldn't have possession by the time he made contact. He should be gone but he probably will get a token week because there hasn't been a hoo-hah in the media.

LostDoggy
16-04-2017, 03:13 PM
I don't like to heap poo on former players but if I remember correctly, Gia was our forwards coach in 2016. I'm sure we'd all agree that our forward line was dysfunctional at times last year (thankfully it worked in Sept/Oct!). I believe Joel Cory was our stoppages coach in 2016, and has been rotated to another role, leaving Gia as our new stoppages coach? If so, I'd question the wisdom in that decision given our midfield has been smashed this season. Thoughts?

GVGjr
16-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Fair enough. My take is Zeibell had committed to bump Cloke before the ball had left his foot and after watching it a couple more times I still think that's the case. It was genuinely a split second decision between to bump or smother. He won't even get looked at, not to mention not one of our players remonstrated with Zeibell. That speaks volumes to me, we always fly the flag when we feel aggrieved.

The only thing that might work against him is he didn't seem to be looking for the ball and had his eyes firmly fixed on Cloke.
The media has rallied around Jack so I think he will be safe

bulldogtragic
16-04-2017, 06:19 PM
The only thing that might work against him is he didn't seem to be looking for the ball and had his eyes firmly fixed on Cloke.
The media has rallied around Jack so I think he will be safe

Even Leigh Matthews has taken back his call of a one week suspension. And that bloke has never taken anything (right or wrong) back, ever.

Remi Moses
16-04-2017, 08:26 PM
Should have been a down field free . ( actually surprised it wasn't )
He won't get suspended, but it wasn't a tough act , in fact was a cheapie .

jeemak
17-04-2017, 09:55 AM

I'm not sure when the rule changed and the body became sacrosanct?

I was disappointed we didn't get a down field called immediately, as Libba had to take a contested mark and did well to get it when he should have been gifted a free kick.

My disdain for Ziebell runs clean, he's a genuine jump into cherry picker type who pretty much sums up why I hate North, but he shouldn't go for that based on the rules.

bornadog
17-04-2017, 10:00 AM
I'm not sure when the rule changed and the body became sacrosanct?

I was disappointed we didn't get a down field called immediately, as Libba had to take a contested mark and did well to get it when he should have been gifted a free kick.

My disdain for Ziebell runs clean, he's a genuine jump into cherry picker type who pretty much sums up why I hate North, but he shouldn't go for that based on the rules.

Lindsay Thomas did the same thing to JJ, but the free was paid up field. On the Cloke one, I agree he won't be suspended, due to the rules, but in any case it was a dog act as it was completely unnecessary - as you say, it is the way he did it.

Sedat
17-04-2017, 11:36 AM
On the Cloke one, I agree he won't be suspended, due to the rules, but in any case it was a dog act as it was completely unnecessary - as you say, it is the way he did it.
Not quite sure about the bolded bit. There are 3 things the MRP will adjudicate on to determine whether or not a charge will be laid.

1. Was it late?
2. Did Ziebell have any option other than to bump?
3. Did the bump cause serious injury? MRP take huge weight into the medical report.

The only thing that might save Ziebell is that the bump is deemed as 'in play' and not late, otherwise I think he is gone on the other 2 points. My personal perspective is that it was late, it was definitely avoidable (he could have smothered or dived to tackle but he chose to bump), and the bump clearly caused the injury. The precedent on bumping was changed when Nick Maxwell ironed out McGinnity a few years ago - if there are other options and you choose to bump, you are responsible for any serious injuries caused.

Twodogs
17-04-2017, 12:13 PM
Not quite sure about the bolded bit. There are 3 things the MRP will adjudicate on to determine whether or not a charge will be laid.

1. Was it late?
2. Did Ziebell have any option other than to bump?
3. Did the bump cause serious injury? MRP take huge weight into the medical report.

The only thing that might save Ziebell is that the bump is deemed as 'in play' and not late, otherwise I think he is gone on the other 2 points. My personal perspective is that it was late, it was definitely avoidable (he could have smothered or dived to tackle but he chose to bump), and the bump clearly caused the injury. The precedent on bumping was changed when Nick Maxwell ironed out McGinnity a few years ago - if there are other options and you choose to bump, you are responsible for any serious injuries caused.

And he's got a lot of form.

Bulldog4life
17-04-2017, 01:50 PM

If that MRP doesn't look at Ziebell's hit, as I said, it would stink to high heaven.

Hotdog60
17-04-2017, 03:46 PM
He got off!

Sedat
17-04-2017, 03:47 PM
If that MRP doesn't look at Ziebell's hit, as I said, it would stink to high heaven.
He's been cleared. It doesn't stink to high heaven IMO - whether it is assessed as in play or late, it is a marginal call either way. I personally reckon he's a bit lucky that it was assessed as in play, but I'm not disgusted by the verdict.

Ozza
18-04-2017, 10:17 AM

One of the footy shows had it clocked at 0.3 of a second after the ball left Cloke's boot.

It may have looked significantly after the kick in super slow mo....I guess...

S Coast Simon
18-04-2017, 11:45 AM
It may have been 0.3 seconds after the ball left but for the 2 or 3 seconds before that Ziebell new he wasn't going to get there in time but continued with his action ( which was to hurt Cloke as much as possible ). Tha MRP has let him off and one of the reasons is he was intent on the ball. WTF at what stage was he intent on the ball. Once again the AFL insulting our intelligence. ie Talia situation ( sorry just read Bevo interview. Love him even more now)

BornInDroopSt'54
18-04-2017, 12:57 PM
1. Jack Ziebell is a workplace hazard and Worksafe needs to get involved. He's a stupid, stupid footballer who has no regard, and is much a danger to himself as he is to others.

2. Libba can't and shouldn't play full time forward. The sooner Dickson gets back and we can stop this subtraction by substitution of small forwards the better.

3. There is no one that you would rather have the ball in their hands with the game on the line than Lindsay Thomas (provided you support the other team).
Ziebell hit Cloke like a wrecking ball, AFTER he kicked the ball. Ziebell has a habit of doing this and he would have a very good idea if his hit is going to make contact before or after yet he does it regardless and the judiciary and commentators are supporting him in what was an attack on an open, vulnerable player, who sustained a serious and extremely painful injury. This is an OH&S issue that the players association and our club need to act on. Late hits are illegal. Players know how to time a kick, they can time a hit.

Twodogs
18-04-2017, 01:53 PM
So if that is the standard then the next time we play North we can take their guys out with impunity when they are perfectly set up for it (ie from behind just when they are least expecting it.) Just as long as we don't make contact to the head we can can break as many ribs as we like (or is six the maximum? I'd say so, after all wanting to break more than six is just silly) or put an opponent in the queue for a kidney donation.

OK. So we won't hit them in the head then.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-04-2017, 01:55 PM
Ziebell hit Cloke like a wrecking ball, AFTER he kicked the ball. Ziebell has a habit of doing this and he would have a very good idea if his hit is going to make contact before or after yet he does it regardless and the judiciary and commentators are supporting him in what was an attack on an open, vulnerable player, who sustained a serious and extremely painful injury. This is an OH&S issue that the players association and our club need to act on. Late hits are illegal. Players know how to time a kick, they can time a hit.

I agree. He should be rubbed out for it. The hit was late. And those commentators saying it didn't make contact to the head are missing the point. Head high contact is not the only thing that can rub out a player. A player in the middle of their kicking motion is very very vulnerable as they have no way to protect/brace themselves. It's only a matter of time before this tactic causes more injuries. It's a shame the AFL didn't use this opportunity to put an end to this rubbish.

Also on this note, how it wasn't a down-field free kick is beyond me. Lucky enough we got a goal anyway but there were some very interesting umpiring decisions. I can't count with fingers how many holding the ball non-calls went against us.

1eyedog
18-04-2017, 02:05 PM
To be fair Cloke does not seem to have a collision radar at all. Cleaned up by Jones two weeks previous. He really needs to be more aware of those around him. He's been very Koschitzke-esque.

Mantis
18-04-2017, 02:09 PM
To be fair Cloke does not seem to have a collision radar at all. Cleaned up by Jones two weeks previous. He really needs to be more aware of those around him. He's been very Koschitzke-esque.

Are you being serious?

Sedat
18-04-2017, 02:25 PM
Can't agree with that. The Zak Jones hit was in a marking contest and the Ziebell hit was as he disposed of the ball by foot. Tom Ruggles yesterday was a far more accurate comparison of a Kosi stlye lack of awareness hit.

comrade
18-04-2017, 03:34 PM
Ziebell could have tried to smother the ball and may have succeeded in stopping the kick getting to Libba. I'm glad he went the thug route and ultimately helped us win the game.

craigsahibee
18-04-2017, 04:02 PM
Should have been a down field free . ( actually surprised it wasn't )
He won't get suspended, but it wasn't a tough act , in fact was a cheapie .

Do you honestly expect anything else from that club?

always right
18-04-2017, 07:40 PM

Words fail me.

1eyedog
18-04-2017, 08:12 PM
Are you being serious?

Moderately.

1eyedog
18-04-2017, 08:13 PM
Words fail me.

There's always a first.

1eyedog
18-04-2017, 08:14 PM
Can't agree with that. The Zak Jones hit was in a marking contest and the Ziebell hit was as he disposed of the ball by foot. Tom Ruggles yesterday was a far more accurate comparison of a Kosi stlye lack of awareness hit.

Fair call. Unlucky then on two occasions in 3 weeks. Why didn't he brace himself for impact?

chef
18-04-2017, 09:04 PM
Fair call. Unlucky then on two occasions in 3 weeks. Why didn't he brace himself for impact?

Because he was kicking a football. Hard to brace in the middle of a kicking motion.

Remi Moses
18-04-2017, 09:23 PM
Do you honestly expect anything else from that club?

Just look in the coaches box I guess .

always right
19-04-2017, 09:34 PM

How would he do that whilst in the kicking motion?