PDA

View Full Version : State of Origin

hujsh
08-01-2008, 11:54 PM
I realize it won't happen but i would love to see state of origin where the NAB Cup is. Never saw it before but when i see the NRL version i really think it would be good to watch. What do you think?

The Coon Dog
09-01-2008, 02:45 AM
It will fail for 3 reasons.

1) Clubs will do whatever it takes to ensure their star players are unable to play due to injury (but if it was a club game they wold be fit enough). Could you imagine the outcry from say Brisbane if Johnno Brown got seriously hurt playing for Victoria?

2) Whereas Rugby League players who perform well have the ability to represent Australia, AFL just doesn't (well we do, if you count the Ireland series, but that's a hybrid game).

3) Since the implementation of the AFL's national competition, fans in SA & WA get to see their teams play weekly (either live or on TV) & wouldn't support it to the same degree. Only a SA v VIC game at Footy Park with the BEST players would whet the appetite.

LostDoggy
09-01-2008, 09:25 AM
It will fail for 3 reasons.

1) Clubs will do whatever it takes to ensure their star players are unable to play due to injury (but if it was a club game they wold be fit enough). Could you imagine the outcry from say Brisbane if Johnno Brown got seriously hurt playing for Victoria?

I think some of the players not just clubs don't give a stuff about it either and would rather play for their clubs.

The Underdog
09-01-2008, 10:29 AM
I think some of the players not just clubs don't give a stuff about it either and would rather play for their clubs.

This is basically the reason SOO died in the first place. Too many high profile players would have a 1 week "injury" and be right for the next round for their club, thus diluting the quality of the games. Obviously there are some players who would love to do it, but in the end with a national comp it's all kind of pointless these days.
Who could hate an SA team with some of our players in it more than you hate the Crows already?

Sockeye Salmon
09-01-2008, 11:13 AM
This is basically the reason SOO died in the first place. Too many high profile players would have a 1 week "injury" and be right for the next round for their club, thus diluting the quality of the games. Obviously there are some players who would love to do it, but in the end with a national comp it's all kind of pointless these days.
Who could hate an SA team with some of our players in it more than you hate the Crows already?

There was a SOO game circa late 80's, I think, where Kevin Sheedy included Shane Heard into the squad because I don't think he could get anyone else interested in playing.

I remember another game where Brian Royal was playing on Brad Hardie and they both pulled out of a 50-50 contest so they wouldn't hurt each other.

SOO was crap.

bornadog
09-01-2008, 11:39 AM
SOO was crap.

I wouldn't say it was crap. The games were a much higher standard than the regular weekly club matches. I remember Dougie Hawkins saying he couldn't believe the standard at training compared to training at the club. Some of the best SOO matches were back in the 70's and early 80's. Best memory is Dempsey taking all those marks against WA and saving the Vics from defeat. Another great memory was Brian Royals performance, combining with Weightman as the two top rovers at the time.

Would it work today and would there be interest, no I don't think so, as the game has evolved into a national competition whereas in the past under the VFL, it was interesting to see players go back to their states and play against the Vics.

GVGjr
09-01-2008, 01:39 PM
There was a SOO game circa late 80's, I think, where Kevin Sheedy included Shane Heard into the squad because I don't think he could get anyone else interested in playing.

I remember another game where Brian Royal was playing on Brad Hardie and they both pulled out of a 50-50 contest so they wouldn't hurt each other.

SOO was crap.

The was some major flaws mainly around attitude etc but the concept is a great one.

When all the players were lining up to play for Teds final game it was terrific football.

The coaches, managers and players killed it but SOO should have had greater support.

hujsh
09-01-2008, 03:18 PM
It will be interesting to see if this All-Star game compares well to the old SOO. The injuries won't be a problem because they'll have to miss the next club game too

LostDoggy
09-01-2008, 03:29 PM
The injuries won't be a problem because they'll have to miss the next club game too
??? So are they going to pull out of contests?
Don't know where you getting at?

hujsh
09-01-2008, 03:33 PM
??? So are they going to pull out of contests?
Don't know where you getting at?

Should have made the injuries reference clearer sorry

To try to stop players having those one week "injuries" A player that is selected for the match and doesn't play will miss the next club match. That is all i know about that rule. That definately helps the argument that it hurts the clubs when players are selected for this.

LostDoggy
09-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Should have made the injuries reference clearer sorry

To try to stop players having those one week "injuries" A player that is selected for the match and doesn't play will miss the next club match. That is all i know about that rule. That definately helps the argument that it hurts the clubs when players are selected for this.
Ridiculous.
If they don't want to play why are they forced into it?

hujsh
09-01-2008, 08:16 PM
I think its more aimed at the clubs.

LostDoggy
09-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Yeah it would have been good to watch it but nodays i belive to much goes into getting players ready and any setback such as an injury would be pretty detrimental to not only the player but the clubs preparations. And also players relish the midseason breaks when most likely this game would take place so what would their reward, apart from money be?

Rocket Science
10-01-2008, 06:41 PM
C'mon...I see players pull out of 50-50 contests every week during the home and away season...State of Origin shouldn't be solely judged by its less edifying moments any more than football in general. It's provided some utterly compelling footy in the past quarter century.

And I've never bought the argument which suggests we've aready got a fascimile of SOO week in week out with the advent of the interstate clubs...which are of course as heavily populated with Vics as our clubs are with croweaters, sandgropers, two heads and the like ;)

It's nothing of the sort.

If genuine injury prohibits someone from playing, then so be it...and if certain players simply don't want to play, let them sit it out and be public about their decision and rationale. Their collegues, supporters and the broader footy world can reflect on them accordingly while they get on with supporting what should be a stirring regular spectacle.

gohardorgohome
24-01-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm a footy purist. I though the way Geelong played in the GF was the way footy should be played. The last time I saw footy like that was in State of Origin.

State of Origin was a magnificant showcase of the game. I went to it whenever I could. It was fantastic to see the best players front up against each other. I am sure that anyone else who was part of the 90000+ crowd at the MCG in 1989 to see the game against South Australia would agree.

It started to die with the intruction of the Crows in 1991.

Bring it back. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Coon Dog
24-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Has it lost it's appeal though? The players best didn't exactly want to play it every time.

If they played in the park across the road from me, I wouldn't bother. Like Ern, I support the Bulldogs & would only be watching to see a) that the Doggies players selected did ok & b) didn't get injured.

It's lost its lustre with me.

Sockeye Salmon
24-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Zero interest for me.

Let SA play WA (with Lake, Cooney, Griffen, Hargrave and the rest unavailable).

Go_Dogs
25-01-2008, 11:21 AM
I still have a lot of interest in it. Seems you Victorians have given up, obviously knowing our side would be superior. ;)

hujsh
25-01-2008, 02:21 PM
I still have a lot of interest in it. Seems you Victorians have given up, obviously knowing our side would be superior. ;)

That could only happen if the Vics didn't turn up. Then you'd have a chance

Sockeye Salmon
25-01-2008, 03:18 PM

For Victorians, State of Origin is like playing cricket with your little brother.

Occassionally he gets you out when you're not paying attention (1988) and when he does he brags about it to everyone and gets really annoying. The next time you play properly (1989) and beat him up. Then he goes crying to mum.

Now we're on the couch snogging our girlfriend and can't be stuffed patronising you any longer.

Here's $10, bugger off and leave us alone.

Mantis
25-01-2008, 03:39 PM
For Victorians, State of Origin is like playing cricket with your little brother.

Occassionally he gets you out when you're not paying attention (1988) and when he does he brags about it to everyone and gets really annoying. The next time you play properly (1989) and beat him up. Then he goes crying to mum.

Now we're on the couch snogging our girlfriend and can't be stuffed patronising you any longer.

Here's $10, bugger off and leave us alone.

Yeah Jason Dunstall as a youngster always dreamed of pulling on the Big V.