PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 5, 2017 vs Brisbane Lions

Eastdog
15-04-2017, 08:00 PM
This is the round 5, 2017 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Brisbane Lions is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Optional: New addition to the Bankers and Anchors Banchors 3 players we thought who were in the middle in how they went in the game neither a Banker or Anchor.

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
22-04-2017, 05:39 PM
Bump

westbulldog
22-04-2017, 06:03 PM
B
Matthew Boyd - most wouldn't have returned after the severe knock he suffered, he did and was important in the 3rd 1/4, epitomises the Bulldog spirit.
Marcus Adams - strong performance.
Clay Smith - for the courage and passion that he plays with for this Club.
Josh Dunkley - no problem with pressure for him and will become very good.

A
Inaccuracy, cost us valuable % and Lin Jong's kicking for goal in the 1st 1/4 was lamentable.
Biggs and Libba, away from their best at this early stage.
Anyone who didn't have faith at halftime :)

boydogs
22-04-2017, 06:19 PM
Bankers

Marcus Adams getting it down at both ends when needed
Macrae looks quicker, and was dangerous up forward
Cordy's aggressive spoils helped turn things in the 3rd

Anchors

Goalkicking
Jong's decision making and ball use
Conceding easy goals in the first half

bornadog
22-04-2017, 06:38 PM
Bankers

1. The second half of footy, was brilliant

2. Bob Murphy - 35 years old and still runs around like a 2 year old.

3. Adams for steadying the ship in the backline and taking some good grabs in the forward line.

Anchors

1. AFL app and Etihad wifi - never works.

2. Etihad management - for calling security on the guy with the drum on the second level - What a pack of douche bags. The crowd was having fun, but oh no, sit down, shut up and watch the game.:rolleyes:

3. Goal kicking - 20 behinds, not good football.

Sedat
22-04-2017, 06:43 PM
Banchor - coaching staff and defensive structure.

1st half was so laughably poor - we were sliced open with ease by the youngest team in the comp. Defensive wall was far too aggressive and the mids/forwards were not working anywhere near hard enough to pressure Brisbane's mids. It was a shambles.

2nd half was fantastic - we had Wood and Boyd covering goal side which completrly dried up the space in Brisbane's forward 50. The pressure we applied to them when delivering into forward 50 was up about 10 notches from the 1st half.

Happy Days
22-04-2017, 08:16 PM
Banchor - coaching staff and defensive structure.

1st half was so laughably poor - we were sliced open with ease by the youngest team in the comp. Defensive wall was far too aggressive and the mids/forwards were not working anywhere near hard enough to pressure Brisbane's mids. It was a shambles.

2nd half was fantastic - we had Wood and Boyd covering goal side which completrly dried up the space in Brisbane's forward 50. The pressure we applied to them when delivering into forward 50 was up about 10 notches from the 1st half.

Agreed. Hipwood's first three goals came from sitting on a wing and walking in behind the zone of over-committed half backs. Full credit to the staff for picking this up; it seemed as if Wood was never further than the 2nd furthest from goal at any time after halfway through the second. Switching Bob and Adams was a masterstroke as well (not that Adams should ever have been up there in the first place).

Ozza
22-04-2017, 09:56 PM
Bankers:

Dahlhaus - others can look at him and take note. This is the guy that absolute brings his 100% effort and commitment every single week. He would fair dinkum get his head knocked off for the club.

Macrae - disposal isn't always spot on - but he just works so hard for his team mates. One of the most unselfish footballers that has played for us. Turns up every week, and as courageous as any.

Zaine Cordy - Thought he was absolutely superb. His reading of the play, and decision making to peel off his opponent to help a team mate at the right time was top notch. There was a lot of Dale Morris about his game today. His best game for the club.

Anchors:

Attitude - the arrogant attitude we seem to bring to games against the bottom sides. We just never seem to knuckle down early and give ourselves an easy result against an ordinary side. To give up 13 scores from 16 entries at one point - is terrible. Simply, we are playing poorly and are fortunate to be 4-1 - but if we don't knuckle down to the task soon, we will be on the end of some poor results.

Biggs - He's going poorly. Wasn't clean and confident. Pivotal player last year, but not finding his best at the moment.

Tom Boyd - He must have gotten a rocket at half time. He was absolutely insipid in the first half, but in the first 10 minutes after half time actually competed like an AFL footballer. Fortunately for Tom, injuries to tall player mean he is a walk up start at the moment - but we can't keep carrying him.

bulldogtragic
22-04-2017, 10:27 PM
B

32,000 to a H&A game against an interstate team
Zaine - People are starting to see more and more of what I've been talking about for 5 years
Winning in a 63 point turnaround playing one half of footy

A

Umpiring. Bevo mustn't have rang the umpires department yet.
The guy walked towards our race at half time, decked in RW&B, calling out '*!*!*!*!wits. You're all *!*!*!*!wits dogs.' I was a angry too, but come on...
Jong. Mate, you could've had a game for the ages! Three easy shots in the first. Good signs so far, but you missed an opportunity to go big.

Eastdog
23-04-2017, 02:04 AM
Bankers

JJ - his run so important

Roberts - took a great mark in the final quarter down back very important in the context of the game.

Picken - one of the toughest in the game and cracked in again

Anchors

Our inaccuracy in front of goal - needs to improve as this in the other cases can lose you games

Deliberate out of bounds rule - difficult to implement and can lead to some controversial decisions

comrade
23-04-2017, 04:13 AM
Have to give a banker to Bont's genius kick while on the ground to help set up Clay's goal at the end. The man is a maestro.

Go_Dogs
23-04-2017, 09:13 AM
Banker
Marcus Adams - kicked a goal up front, but then went back and played a solid game.
Zaine Cordy - was his most dependable game at the level. Seemed to be in the right spot at the right time on a few occasions and was sure of himself in the air and by foot.

Anchor
Our first half, a continuing theme
Defence getting sucked too high up the ground, this happened a lot in 2015 and we got opened up in transition against Brisbane. Quick sides like GWS will have a field day if we get this wrong.

SlimPickens
23-04-2017, 09:14 AM
Banker
Cordy- looked like a 100 game player yesterday. Really liked his aggression at the contest and the opposition.

Josh Dunkley- love the way he steps it up a notch when his team really needs it. 3 goals was great reward yesterday.

4-1- I'll take it, hasn't been pretty but gives as a very good starting point to get our teeth into the season.

Anchors
Jong- 12m out directly in front and you missed. As the kid behind my said, "my nan could of kicked that and she's dead"- actually got quite a laugh out of that, should give that kid a banker.

Toyd- not nearly getting enough up forward from you at the moment.

Giving a very young and ordinary side the momentum to kick 6-7 unanswered goals. Need to be better at stopping the bleeding.

kruder
23-04-2017, 10:02 AM
B
Matthew Boyd - most wouldn't have returned after the severe knock he suffered, he did and was important in the 3rd 1/4, epitomises the Bulldog spirit.
Marcus Adams - strong performance.
Clay Smith - for the courage and passion that he plays with for this Club.
Josh Dunkley - no problem with pressure for him and will become very good.

A
Inaccuracy, cost us valuable % and Lin Jong's kicking for goal in the 1st 1/4 was lamentable.
Biggs and Libba, away from their best at this early stage.
Anyone who didn't have faith at halftime :)

All of Boyd's touches in the 3rd quarter were clean and crucial, great effort indeed.

westbulldog
23-04-2017, 11:03 AM
B

32,000 to a H&A game against an interstate team
Zaine - People are starting to see more and more of what I've been talking about for 5 years
Winning in a 63 point turnaround playing one half of footy

A

Umpiring. Bevo mustn't have rang the umpires department yet.
The guy walked towards our race at half time, decked in RW&B, calling out '*!*!*!*!wits. You're all *!*!*!*!wits dogs.' I was a angry too, but come on...
Jong. Mate, you could've had a game for the ages! Three easy shots in the first. Good signs so far, but you missed an opportunity to go big.

Fortunately this bloke one hopes wouldn't be typical of a Bulldog supporter, the 2 teams here in the West have them in abundance.......Fickle frontrunning fatuous flogs

ratsmac
23-04-2017, 11:38 AM
Bankers

1. Macrae. Never stops running. Smart footballer.
2. Dahlhaus. Fights incredibly hard for the jumper. Sets an example for everyone.
3. Adams. Great game. He gave us something up forward too which can be handy.
3.a. Cordy. Love his competitiveness. His kicking has improved a lot this year. He is super careful with his kicking action and it's making him a neat kick. Plays within his limitations much like Dale Morris.

Banchor.
Winning by 5 goals yet really worried about our form. Take the 4 points and run for the hills.

Anchors.

1. Missing simple set shots and shots under little pressure. Against slightly better opposition we lose. % already looking like a problem. It may very well cost us top 4 or a home final.
2. Biggs is really off at the moment. He has a bad case of the fumbles and for a defender that can be costly. He'll be lucky to retain his spot next Friday.
3. Jong. His kicking is a major worry.

Remi Moses
23-04-2017, 11:50 AM
Bankers - Macrae just outstanding
- To have the belief to comeback from any position
- the turnout , was outstanding
Anchors- Reckon the whole week got to the players a bit
- The defensive efforts of the mids was poor in the first half , and we played a high defensive line . Coaches are watching to much world game, and just a reminder there is no off side .
- goalkicking ... embarrassing to say the least

Remi Moses
23-04-2017, 11:52 AM
Bankers

1. Macrae. Never stops running. Smart footballer.
2. Dahlhaus. Fights incredibly hard for the jumper. Sets an example for everyone.
3. Adams. Great game. He gave us something up forward too which can be handy.
3.a. Cordy. Love his competitiveness. His kicking has improved a lot this year. He is super careful with his kicking action and it's making him a neat kick. Plays within his limitations much like Dale Morris.

Banchor.
Winning by 5 goals yet really worried about our form. Take the 4 points and run for the hills.

Anchors.

1. Missing simple set shots and shots under little pressure. Against slightly better opposition we lose. % already looking like a problem. It may very well cost us top 4 or a home final.
2. Biggs is really off at the moment. He has a bad case of the fumbles and for a defender that can be costly. He'll be lucky to retain his spot next Friday.
3. Jong. His kicking is a major worry.

Agree with point 3 . Lin's got great attributes, but his decision making and execution will continually put him under the pump.

hujsh
23-04-2017, 01:36 PM
On Jong I usually have him as an OK set shot. Hopefully yesterday was a one off like Dickson's final against the Hawks and he comes back strong against GWS (like Dickson did)

Go_Dogs
23-04-2017, 01:54 PM
On Jong I usually have him as an OK set shot. Hopefully yesterday was a one off like Dickson's final against the Hawks and he comes back strong against GWS (like Dickson did)

I agree, he's become quite reliable with his set shots, so hopefully he gets the chance to atone next week. He was everywhere early and had he been a little cleaner, the score at half time could've been very different.

Eastdog
23-04-2017, 06:55 PM
Bankers

1. The second half of footy, was brilliant

2. Bob Murphy - 35 years old and still runs around like a 2 year old.

3. Adams for steadying the ship in the backline and taking some good grabs in the forward line.

Anchors

1. AFL app and Etihad wifi - never works.

2. Etihad management - for calling security on the guy with the drum on the second level - What a pack of douche bags. The crowd was having fun, but oh no, sit down, shut up and watch the game.:rolleyes:

3. Goal kicking - 20 behinds, not good football.

Referring to point 2 in the anchors yes I was wondering what that was looking up from my seat in Level 1 to Level 2. Agree that is poor I think I saw him last week with the drum at the North match. They need to just let supporters be passionate in anyway they want as long as it's not hurting anybody else there is no reason to call security. I'm also wondering if SonOfScray still hangs the flags out on Level 3?

Twodogs
23-04-2017, 08:26 PM
Fortunately this bloke one hopes wouldn't be typical of a Bulldog supporter, the 2 teams here in the West have them in abundance.......Fickle frontrunning fatuous flogs

Hopefully he went home at halftime.

bornadog
23-04-2017, 08:29 PM
Referring to point 2 in the anchors yes I was wondering what that was looking up from my seat in Level 1 to Level 2. Agree that is poor I think I saw him last week with the drum at the North match. They need to just let supporters be passionate in anyway they want as long as it's not hurting anybody else there is no reason to call security. I'm also wondering if SonOfScray still hangs the flags out on Level 3?

I will be writing a letter of complaint to Etihad as well as the AFL, plus asking the Club to support the guy. He has been doing that for a couple of years now, but yesterday Etihad decided they didn't like it.

Twodogs
23-04-2017, 08:37 PM
Bankers

1 Zaine Cordy. Looked really composed and authoritative in defense and had the confidence to run forward to create an option

2. The crowd. Over 30 000 is a great result against an interstate team.

3. Liam Picken. Makes me wonder if we would have lost to Freo if he'd been sitting on the bench, he's that important

Anchors

1. JJ's deliberate, he's being slung around by an oppononent. How is he even in control of the direction the ball is going to travel in?

2. Defence in the second quarter.

3. Shocking kicking for goal. It's going to cost us and it's so simple to fix.

Eastdog
23-04-2017, 08:38 PM
I will be writing a letter of complaint to Etihad as well as the AFL, plus asking the Club to support the guy. He has been doing that for a couple of years now, but yesterday Etihad decided they didn't like it.

Good idea BAD. Yeah why did it all of sudden become a problem yesterday?

Sedat
23-04-2017, 10:39 PM
3. Shocking kicking for goal. It's going to cost us and it's so simple to fix.
On the plus side, we did nail some of our most difficult set shots in the last qtr when the whips were cracking and kicked 8.3 for the term. We ended up having 46 shots at goal for the match (9 missed altogether), which is an astonishingly high percentage against 61 inside 50's. It is also the most number of shots at goal in any one match this season by anyone.

Twodogs
23-04-2017, 11:15 PM
On the plus side, we did nail some of our most difficult set shots in the last qtr when the whips were cracking and kicked 8.3 for the term. We ended up having 46 shots at goal for the match (9 missed altogether), which is an astonishingly high percentage against 61 inside 50's. It is also the most number of shots at goal in any one match this season by anyone.

Looking at that through a glass that is half full those are impressive figures. Especially the inside 50 to shots on goal ratio. I make it 75 %.

S Coast Simon
25-04-2017, 12:52 PM
Bankers
M Boyd knocked out then returns to go back with the flight of the ball and take the grab without flinching. Legend Bulldog right there. Anyone knocking him can get stuffed he puts his body on the line every week

Macrae and Dal just go about their business

Cordy. Getting close to Morris as a dour tough as nails defender. Ugly kicking style but very effective on both sides.

Anchors
I find it difficult to fault our boys to much. Have you ever seen a magnet keep the footy out of the goals as much as that first half. Not sure I have ever seen the ball curve so much as the first half goal shooting

Twodogs
25-04-2017, 06:13 PM
Bankers
M Boyd knocked out then returns to go back with the flight of the ball and take the grab without flinching. Legend Bulldog right there. Anyone knocking him can get stuffed he puts his body on the line every week

Macrae and Dal just go about their business

Cordy. Getting close to Morris as a dour tough as nails defender. Ugly kicking style but very effective on both sides.

Anchors
I find it difficult to fault our boys to much. Have you ever seen a magnet keep the footy out of the goals as much as that first half. Not sure I have ever seen the ball curve so much as the first half goal shooting

It was probably that bloke from the TAB ad with the big leaf blower blowing the ball away. They had the big magnet at their end attracting the ball through the middle of the goals.