PDA

View Full Version : Gary Ablett

1eyedog
16-04-2017, 10:25 AM
There's reports we are into him. Last week on SEN it was stated that he will seek a trade to a Victorian club for 2018 and it is unlikely to be Geelong. There was discussion after yesterday's win against Carlton on talk back that we are into him. Others on another thread have it direct from SEN that we are chasing him.

Rumor as thick as water atm but as a discussion point would we be interested in Ablett on two year deal?

Hotdog60
16-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Pass for me I think he is pass his best and who knows about his durability when his another year older. His early form this year maybe his current form next year if you know what I mean.

SlimPickens
16-04-2017, 11:08 AM
Pass- selfish player who doesn't fit our team first mantra.

1eyedog
16-04-2017, 11:34 AM
Would we have said the same of Cloke early 2016? How do we feel about him now? If Ablett nominated us and wanted to come does the potential baggage outweigh the fact that he may kick 70 goals in a forward pocket?

ledge
16-04-2017, 11:52 AM
Chasing guys like Cloke and Ablett says we are in the window and want the next two flags and will use them as coaching the ones coming up.
The other plus is we are getting great players for minimum salary.
Let's face it when Ablett/Cloke retire they could make great teachers of the game and obviously have huge work ethic to continue a good culture in working hard and a winning frame of mind.

boydogs
16-04-2017, 11:55 AM
One more injury away from retirement IMO. Playing out his days like Cooney did

GVGjr
16-04-2017, 12:00 PM
On what we know he wouldn't be coming for the right reasons. I'd lean towards a no.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2017, 12:01 PM
Depends on price completely. He could be a failure, or he could be our Shaun Burgoyne that we play in role but then can throw into the middle when it gets hot in a close game to snatch wins. All that said, his shoulder is a huge problem and he will want a lot of money, being that his contract is $1,000,000+. All that said, if he was a Travis Cloke type trade where we give up nothing and pay very little the risk is mitigated. All that said, I wouldn't bet on him coming despite me starting the 'Operation Get Gary Ablett Jr.' a while back.

bornadog
16-04-2017, 01:42 PM
Depends on what price? At his peak one of the best ever. Not sure he has lost it though

Twodogs
16-04-2017, 01:50 PM
Not interested. Never rated him the same way a lot of others do. He does a few things well but he's not really elite at anything.

If his name was Gary Smith not many would rate him in the top ten players they have seen. Pass for me.

1eyedog
16-04-2017, 01:59 PM
He could make it sound like the right reasons with one press conference. Wants to be closer to Torquay, wants to win another premiership and wants to help us do it. I'm 50/50 on it. I see the pros and cons of the posts above.

He could be dynamite in the forward pocket for a year or two and help us win a couple of flags. Is he worth putting up for if it means a better chance of more premierships or have we learnt our lessons with these sorts of trades ala. Akermanis?

bulldogtragic
16-04-2017, 02:07 PM
He could be dynamite in the forward pocket for a year or two and help us win a couple of flags. Is he worth putting up for if it means a better chance of more premierships or have we learnt our lessons with these sorts of trades ala. Akermanis?

I don't see Ablett causing havoc with our club or culture, or corrupting the team ethos. I think it would be more a Barry Hall trade, which worked. The AFL & GCS can't afford to let him go as it will look like the captaining abondoing ship. I think they'd rather see him retire than go chasing flags. Even if Ablett & GCS were receptive, Tony Cochrane would want a heap of compo back and Ablett being on $1,000,000+ would need to take a huge pay cut. I just can't see him playing anywhere next year, other than GCS.

Why are we the ones being linked to him, by the way?

Twodogs
16-04-2017, 03:02 PM
I don't see Ablett causing havoc with our club or culture, or corrupting the team ethos. I think it would be more a Barry Hall trade, which worked. The AFL & GCS can't afford to let him go as it will look like the captaining abondoing ship. I think they'd rather see him retire than go chasing flags. Even if Ablett & GCS were receptive, Tony Cochrane would want a heap of compo back and Ablett being on $1,000,000+ would need to take a huge pay cut. I just can't see him playing anywhere next year, other than GCS.

Why are we the ones being linked to him, by the way?

Probably the usual way. A journo read about it on WOOF and used the post as an article.

Sedat
16-04-2017, 08:38 PM
Would only be a discussion if he is prepared to fully buy in to the team-first mantra and culture we have created at the kennel. No BS special clauses for him like not taking anti-inflammatory medication, which slowed his shoulder recovery.

I doubt very much that he'd want to take a 300% pay cut next year to play for us, but if he did and wanted to for the right reasons, it would be worth a chat.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Would only be a discussion if he is prepared to fully buy in to the team-first mantra and culture we have created at the kennel. No BS special clauses for him like not taking anti-inflammatory medication, which slowed his shoulder recovery.

I doubt very much that he'd want to take a 300% pay cut next year to play for us, but if he did and wanted to for the right reasons, it would be worth a chat.

I'm not good at math, but if he took a 100% of $1,000,000 a year pay cut he'd earn nothing?? So a 300% pay cut means he pays us $2,000,000 a year?

Sedat
16-04-2017, 08:49 PM
I'm not good at math, but if he took a 100% of $1,000,000 a year pay cut he'd earn nothing?? So a 300% pay cut means he pays us $2,000,000 a year?
Think you're right :o

I meant playing for around $300k, so approx. 1/3rd of his contracted $1m salary for next year. All a moot point if he is not prepared to buy into our club and our culture, which is of far more importance.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2017, 08:53 PM

I meant playing for around $300k, so approx. 1/3rd of his contracted $1m salary for next year. All a moot point if he is not prepared to buy into our club and our culture, which is of far more importance.

Nah, I prefer him paying us $2,000,000 a year to get that premiership he desperately wants. I think he'll retire after Evans & Cochrane block him on his contract.

Twodogs
16-04-2017, 09:43 PM

GAJ taking a 300% pay cut is about as likely to happen as him coming to play for us is anyway so it's not a bad figure.

ratsmac
16-04-2017, 10:20 PM
Everyone likened Stringer to Gary Ablett Snr so maybe he wants to play out the rest of his career with his dad.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2017, 11:12 PM
Everyone likened Stringer to Gary Ablett Snr so maybe he wants to play out the rest of his career with his dad.

There's a meme based on Star Wars in that.

strebla
17-04-2017, 03:39 PM
Can you post the link BT please

bulldogtragic
17-04-2017, 05:10 PM
Can you post the link BT please

Sorry, I meant the subject comments could be a meme. If you google afl or Star Wars meme generator, quite a few generator websites will come up.

Twodogs
18-04-2017, 01:12 PM

That's pretty Freudian.

FrediKanoute
18-04-2017, 04:40 PM
One more injury away from retirement IMO. Playing out his days like Cooney did

Disagree. He is playing at a much better level than Cooney. Would never say never, but price would have to be right.

The way I would look at it would whether hebwoukd be an upgrade on the player he replaces.

Daughter of the West
18-04-2017, 05:23 PM
Yeah, nah.

I can't see him stepping down off his pedestal and joining the club with a Cloke-like attitude. Just not the right cultural fit for mine.

Axe Man
18-04-2017, 05:32 PM
SUITORS STARTING TO EMERGE FOR GAZZA (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/04/18/suitors-starting-to-emerge-for-gazza/)

Journalist Tony Sheahan believes that the Western Bulldogs will emerge as a suitor for former Gold Coast skipper Gary Ablett, if they haven’t already.

Ablett who has struck some of his best form in the past two weeks after being heavily criticised following the loss to Greater Western Sydney in Round 2, has been the topic of much discussion – especially in regards to his future intentions beyond this season.

The dual-Brownlow Medallist has been strongly linked with a move back to Geelong, but Sheahan revealed on SEN’s Gladiators of Sport on Saturday night, that the reigning premiers are also interested in obtaining his services.

“The Western Bulldogs are making a play for Gary Ablett,” he stated.

“The Cats, I understand, have offered a quarter of what he’s on at the Gold Coast as a base salary for 2017, to have him come back – which is $400,000 or within the vicinity of.

“But the Western Bulldogs will be making, if they have not already, a huge play for Gary Ablett.”

Ablett still has one year remaining on his current contract and Suns’ chairman Tony Cochrane has vowed recently that he will ensure that the 32-year-old sees that deal out.

“Gary will serve out his contract at the Gold Coast Football Club, which concludes at the end of the 2018 season. What part of that didn’t you understand?” he said.

bulldogtragic
18-04-2017, 05:47 PM
One guess who reads WOOF?

hujsh
18-04-2017, 06:30 PM
400K?

Rather sure up the likes of JJ IMO.

always right
18-04-2017, 07:38 PM
Stuggling to understand why we would want to recruit Gary Ablett.....unless the club feels he might just be the final piece in the puzzle to get that elusive second premiership.

1eyedog
18-04-2017, 08:19 PM
There's little doubt that Ablett would be an Akermanis-type on roids running around the forward line. He's an alpha male and would tear it up within F50 for a few years.

lemmon
18-04-2017, 10:16 PM
There's little doubt that Ablett would be an Akermanis-type on roids running around the forward line. He's an alpha male and would tear it up within F50 for a few years.

On paper I agree, in reality he looks like he cracks the sads whenever he's taken out of the middle. He's 32 now and while still a very good player, unless he can do an M Boyd style move to a flank I don't see his longevity.

I'd rather we banked the cash and make sure we keep this group together.

Twodogs
19-04-2017, 12:35 AM
Stuggling to understand why we would want to recruit Gary Ablett.....unless the club feels he might just be the final piece in the puzzle to get that elusive second premiership.

It'll be the elusive third premiership by next trade period.

I can't help thinking about how it worked out with the last multi proemership winning Brownlow medalist aged in his 30s that we imported from Queensland.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-04-2017, 12:43 AM
Base salary, sure.

400K? No Gary no, no Gary no...

Ozza
19-04-2017, 10:48 AM
Base salary, sure.

400K? No Gary no, no Gary no...

Think that view is a stretch.

I can understand many of the concerns, and I'm not really advocating us chasing him - but you couldn't seriously suggest Gary is not worth $400K. He is worth a great deal more.

Still one of the best players in the league. Don't forget that he missed pretty much all of last season, according to the media is playing poorly by his standards....and is averaging 28.5 possessions and 1 goal per game.

Mofra
19-04-2017, 12:55 PM
Against the grain... but yes.

For $400k we are getting someone who was one of the greatest the game has ever seen who is still a very, very, very good player (and still virtually untackleable) and who will be playing for close to average salary under the new rights deal.

Bevo wouldn't be able to write yes quick enough if the opportunity arose.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2017, 01:11 PM
Against the grain... but yes.

For $400k we are getting someone who was one of the greatest the game has ever seen who is still a very, very, very good player (and still virtually untackleable) and who will be playing for close to average salary under the new rights deal.

Bevo wouldn't be able to write yes quick enough if the opportunity arose.

If he's genuinely on the market sure, but I read that $400,000 price tag as the Geelong offer. So my assumption is we would probably need to beat that offer enough that 'welcome home' sentimentality was overridden. If it was say $550,000 or would that change things?

Ozza
19-04-2017, 01:57 PM
If he's genuinely on the market sure, but I read that $400,000 price tag as the Geelong offer. So my assumption is we would probably need to beat that offer enough that 'welcome home' sentimentality was overridden. If it was say $550,000 or would that change things?

If he is genuinely on the market for any Victorian clubs (not just Geelong), then I guess the price comes down to what the room in the cap is, and what gets it done. Considering that the average wage might go up to $300K+, if cap pressure wasn't an issue then $550K for Gary theoretically, is no problem whatsoever in terms of his worth to a team in the top few on the ladder.

But I would suspect that in reality the cap pressure will be there to some extent anyway given we'll have all of our top line/top paid players to fit in (JJ, Bont, Stringer, Boyd, Macrae, Dahlhaus, Wood etc).

bulldogtragic
19-04-2017, 02:49 PM
If he is genuinely on the market for any Victorian clubs (not just Geelong), then I guess the price comes down to what the room in the cap is, and what gets it done. Considering that the average wage might go up to $300K+, if cap pressure wasn't an issue then $550K for Gary theoretically, is no problem whatsoever in terms of his worth to a team in the top few on the ladder.

But I would suspect that in reality the cap pressure will be there to some extent anyway given we'll have all of our top line/top paid players to fit in (JJ, Bont, Stringer, Boyd, Macrae, Dahlhaus, Wood etc).

The more I think about it, the more I can understand the appeal. There's a few question marks though, for me at least. The biggest is whether he's prepared to be a role player within the team? I love what Hawthorn had done with Burgoyne for the last few years. He's had a defined role, and despite him being able to play as an onballer and get the glory, he's played for the team and when they needed a match winner or burst on ball towards the end of a close game he went in and impacted the shit out of games. GAJ could very well be that elite player that accepts a role within the team and plays where the team needs him generally, and then impact roles within games. It'd be nice to have him high half back, or forward pocket and then when needed to throw him into the centre and contests when needed. He has 2 years more, the skill sets and flexibility to be something Bevo would love to have. But I go back to the main question I have, is he prepared to sacrifice playing on-ball and no longer be the 40+ disposal gun player? If the answer is yes, and an emphatic yes, then like Cloke I'm happy to get a pedigree player who makes the team better and is hungry for premiership success again.

As for money, even at that higher figure I threw out at $550,000 that's not going to be an issue. JMac & Co when offering Hurley five years at $800,000 a year would've forecast that wage and re-signing all our guns. I don't think it would've been an irresponsible offer, and so I think the club has some 'play money'. Say a couple take up a bit more, without factoring CBA rises, a $550,000 player could well be on our radar.

But that then opens up another question, is GAJ the one we want because we can only get one player at that level this year. There's free agents of interest, but I guess with GAJ you'd pay him for two years and then retire him and use his former wage on re-signing Bonts & Boyd etc.

There's a few different things to think about. Not least of which, why GCS and the AFEL would allow him to walk out on the joint for most likely not much trade wise?

ledge
19-04-2017, 05:17 PM
You would have to give him a very very good physical examination on his shoulders before you actually took him.
I think that's his main problem his shoulders . I say put him up forward and if needed throw him in the middle like we do with most of our players now .. 5 - 10 min if needed and he fits the game that day.

always right
19-04-2017, 09:39 PM
It'll be the elusive third premiership by next trade period.

Sorry...forgot to add this. :rolleyes:

Bulldog4life
20-04-2017, 02:02 PM
You would have to give him a very very good physical examination on his shoulders before you actually took him.
I think that's his main problem his shoulders . I say put him up forward and if needed throw him in the middle like we do with most of our players now .. 5 - 10 min if needed and he fits the game that day.

Yes his shoulders makes it difficult for him to tackle. That is what I have noticed this year.

always right
20-04-2017, 02:37 PM
Yes his shoulders makes it difficult for him to tackle. That is what I have noticed this year.
Must have also spread to his legs as he appears to be unable to chase opponents.

boydogs
20-04-2017, 11:50 PM
Must have also spread to his legs as he appears to be unable to chase opponents.

No point if he can't tackle them when he catches them. Cooked

bulldogtragic
29-04-2017, 11:03 PM
At the risk of sounding like Ling, there's some goody footy in him yet if he plays like that and plays on next year.

jeemak
30-04-2017, 03:08 AM
Goody eh?

Twodogs
30-04-2017, 10:08 AM
Goody eh?

If he can be bothered to try every week. I'd like the Gary Ablet that played last night playing for us. Problem is he brings that other GAJ with him, the one that turns up and plays three games for every one that's like last night. He's a shocker. Walks from contest to contest with his hands on his hips, can't kick the ball properly, shocking tackler, won't run to position, argues with the coaches.

He's poison that other GAJ.

Topdog
30-04-2017, 10:41 AM
If he can be bothered to try every week. I'd like the Gary Ablet that played last night playing for us. Problem is he brings that other GAJ with him, the one that turns up and plays three games for every one that's like last night. He's a shocker. Walks from contest to contest with his hands on his hips, can't kick the ball properly, shocking tackler, won't run to position, argues with the coaches.

That other GAJ didn't really exist in Geelong, even in his first few years at GCS.

He said he wanted out and GCS rejected the trade. No real great surprise when someone openly states they no longer want to work for a company suddenly has a drop in performance.

Twodogs
30-04-2017, 11:41 AM
That other GAJ didn't really exist in Geelong, even in his first few years at GCS.

He said he wanted out and GCS rejected the trade. No real great surprise when someone openly states they no longer want to work for a company suddenly has a drop in performance.

He exists now though, and he's been around for a couple of years. This isn't the first time we've heard about trouble, wasn't he refusing to play at one stage last year? Even though the club doctors had cleared him to play a couple of weeks earlier. What if he signs with us for two years then decides he doesn't like it after six months and drags himself around with the spanked bum face for a year and a half.

Maybe I'd have him on a contract with performance clauses and behaviour provisions but we all know he isn't going to sign one of those.

Stefcep
30-04-2017, 11:45 AM
Why would he want to come to *us*? Think that will tell much about his headspace and likely performances. Money is not an acceptable reason.

Eastdog
30-04-2017, 09:29 PM
Very good last night.

LostDoggy
30-04-2017, 10:04 PM
Paying $21 for the Brownlow.... any takers?

Twodogs
01-05-2017, 01:36 AM
Paying $21 for the Brownlow.... any takers?

Don't think Gold Coast will win enough games.

Topdog
01-05-2017, 04:41 AM
Probably only got 3 votes in 6 games.

Ozza
01-05-2017, 10:03 AM

How many of Gary's 290-odd games has he not 'bothered to try in' do you think?

I find the commentary around Gary Ablett having a bad game completely over-blown and laughable. He's one of the best players ever, and is still one of the best in the game right now despite coming off serious injury and missing the second half of last season.

Ozza
01-05-2017, 10:06 AM
Probably only got 3 votes in 6 games.

Likely he would have polled v Hawthorn when he had 36 and 2 goals.
Likely he would have polled v Carlton when he had 34 and a goal.
Gets 3 votes on Saturday night.
Don't think he polls in their loss v the Lions, but he did get votes in some of the media.

Topdog
13-06-2017, 02:19 PM
Another magnificent performance on the weekend. Staggering that people thought he may be finished.

bulldogtragic
13-06-2017, 02:23 PM
Another magnificent performance on the weekend. Staggering that people thought he may be finished.

Interesting to know what happen to the rumours we were making a serious play for him. They were around, and then nothing. The last lot of rumours were back to topic onto Geelong (probably pushed by the media/Geelong cheer squad). Although I can't see how they let him go to anyone.

bornadog
13-06-2017, 02:28 PM

One of the greatest players of all time.

Ozza
13-06-2017, 02:34 PM
179 disposals in his last 5 games (35.8 per game). Just needed to build up his base a bit after missing a lot of footy, and now is flying again.