PDA

View Full Version : "He's playing one season too many" 2017 edition

Dry Rot
19-04-2017, 11:43 AM
Thread inspired by discussion of Bourgoyne in the Rd 4 thread.

Who else?

comrade
19-04-2017, 11:52 AM
Matt Boyd may be heading this way.

Josh Gibson looks completely cooked.

Dancin' Douggy
19-04-2017, 12:18 PM
Luke hodge

Ozza
19-04-2017, 12:22 PM
Luke hodge

Was clearly Hawthorn's best player on Monday.

Dancin' Douggy
19-04-2017, 12:28 PM
Not much of an achievement I'm afraid. But anyway, he's often getting caught when once he wouldn't. He's no longer a one touch player. He fumbles, takes too long to make decisions, and does a lot of grunt in and under work making up for his own errors. It was apparent when Bont ran rings around him last year. Watch hodge closely and you'll see what I mean.

comrade
19-04-2017, 12:35 PM
Stevie J looks slower than ever.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2017, 12:42 PM
The Feminist

Topdog
19-04-2017, 12:44 PM
Not much of an achievement I'm afraid. But anyway, he's often getting caught when once he wouldn't. He's no longer a one touch player. He fumbles, takes too long to make decisions, and does a lot of grunt in and under work making up for his own errors. It was apparent when Bont ran rings around him last year. Watch hodge closely and you'll see what I mean.

Thats very different from he is a useless player now which seems to be the call for Burgoyne and Gibson.

Twodogs
19-04-2017, 01:40 PM
Stevie J looks slower than ever.

A few weeks ago when he was chasing his 500th career goal he was making plenty of ground. The weird thing was the GWS burned him every time. He'd be in acres of space on the lead and the ball carrier would go for someone else. Stevie was not happy.

Twodogs
19-04-2017, 01:40 PM
Ryan Griffin.

Ozza
19-04-2017, 01:45 PM

I don't think it is ideal for Hodge to be having to play inside mid at his age. Ideally he'd be on a back flank patrolling - but he seems to be on ball a lot due to necessity. But I think he's playing a fair way above the 'played one too many seasons' category. If anything, I think Hawthorn will need him to consider playing on again next year to help bring through the younger players, and soften the landing a bit on their massive fall.

ledge
19-04-2017, 02:17 PM
Vickery .. One season was one to many.

bornadog
19-04-2017, 03:02 PM
I don't think it is ideal for Hodge to be having to play inside mid at his age. Ideally he'd be on a back flank patrolling - but he seems to be on ball a lot due to necessity. But I think he's playing a fair way above the 'played one too many seasons' category. If anything, I think Hawthorn will need him to consider playing on again next year to help bring through the younger players, and soften the landing a bit on their massive fall.

Personally I think he is cooked.

Remi Moses
19-04-2017, 03:11 PM
Ryan Griffin.

Does he still play in the big league ?

Ozza
19-04-2017, 03:22 PM
Personally I think he is cooked.

He's had 80 possessions in 3 matches. Plenty of players would loved to be cooked like that!

Twodogs
19-04-2017, 03:26 PM
Does he still play in the big league ?

No idea mate. I'm doing well just to remember his name.

Mofra
19-04-2017, 03:48 PM
No idea mate. I'm doing well just to remember his name.
Out for 10 weeks with an ankle, was reduced to tagging this year.
Has gone seriously backwards since he went to GWS

bulldogtragic
19-04-2017, 03:51 PM
Out for 10 weeks with an ankle, was reduced to tagging this year.
Has gone seriously backwards since he went to GWS

Well it was worth it for them. The only directly lost a pick 1 player, and then indirectly a pick 6 player they drafted and couldn't keep.

Im excitedly waiting for a journo to do an article on this trade, from the GWS perspective.

ledge
19-04-2017, 05:03 PM
Well it was worth it for them. The only directly lost a pick 1 player, and then indirectly a pick 6 player they drafted and couldn't keep.

Im excitedly waiting for a journo to do an article on this trade, from the GWS perspective.

I wonder if Barrett will ignore the opportunity to write an article on the Boyd/ Griffen trade now and admit he was wrong and chose the wrong player and club to put down.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2017, 05:36 PM
I wonder if Barrett will ignore the opportunity to write an article on the Boyd/ Griffen trade now and admit he was wrong and chose the wrong player and club to put down.

Well he uses the ignore & block button to anyone who suggests he even may have slightly been wrong in an opinion, so I think he will ignore this too. Much like I ignore whatever program he's on because he's not learnerd or insightful.

LostDoggy
19-04-2017, 06:15 PM
Jarrad Waite.
Daniel Wells.

LostDoggy
19-04-2017, 06:18 PM
Liam Jones ;)

bulldogtragic
19-04-2017, 06:27 PM
Liam Jones ;)

Carlton fans are saying 3 too many for this 'contested beast' (Great call Malthouse).

ledge
19-04-2017, 06:39 PM
Scott west and Brad Johnson .. Due to injury not form though.

LostDoggy
19-04-2017, 06:52 PM
Carlton fans are saying 3 too many for this 'contested beast' (Great call Malthouse).

The Beast can contest all he likes now down back for The Bullants ;)

Rocket Science
19-04-2017, 06:52 PM
Bryen Gryphon.

Fixed.

GVGjr
19-04-2017, 07:21 PM
Drew Petrie has been injured but not good signs for him

Steve Johnson, Josh Gibson, James Kelly and Shaun Burgyone.

Question marks on Watson, Wells and Deledio but I would back Deledio to come good when injury free

bulldogtragic
19-04-2017, 07:41 PM
Drew Petrie has been injured but not good signs for him

Steve Johnson, Josh Gibson, James Kelly and Shaun Burgyone.

Question marks on Watson, Wells and Deledio but I would back Deledio to come good when injury free

Wells would argue with you, or more so, him and his one million dollars plus from Ed & Naf.

Flamethrower
19-04-2017, 08:06 PM
Others not already mentioned...

Andrew Swallow
Jesse White
Kurt Tippett
Zac Dawson
Tendai M'Zungu
Brent Stanton

LostDoggy
19-04-2017, 08:11 PM
Jake Melksham

Topdog
19-04-2017, 08:22 PM
Many people seem to have a drastically different meaning to this phrase than I do. I equate it to great player that is now too old and has become rubbish and a liability.

Sedat
19-04-2017, 10:25 PM
The Feminist
If we're being brutally honest, he was a plodder under Sheeds, became a very good contested ball player at the Daniel Cross level under Knights and then he became a superstar of the competition only when he got on the juice. Ever since he got off the gear, he's regressed every year, even bearing in mind that the PED's he took in 2012 would have artificial benefits for a few years thereafter. He's back to being a plodder again and looks as finished as anyone.

I don't think there has been a more unsavoury scene in 2017 as the media fawning over the 'triumphant' return of the drug cheats in R1. It's akin to running a ticker tape parade for the return of Justin Gatlin at the Olympics.

Sedat
19-04-2017, 10:28 PM
Nick Smith and Kieran Jack are two players who have really laboured since the 2nd half of 2016. Smith was hardly ever beaten as a small defender pretty much since he debuted but has looked so slow and unable to contain his direct opponent in recent matches.

Jack keeps falling over in the contest, which is the sure sign that age has caught up with him. He's not particularly old but his body has taken an absolute battering over the years. I don't think the public spat with his parents has been helpful to him either.

KT31
19-04-2017, 10:32 PM
Wil Minson, oh wait. ;)

Twodogs
19-04-2017, 11:45 PM
If we're being brutally honest, he was a plodder under Sheeds, became a very good contested ball player at the Daniel Cross level under Knights and then he became a superstar of the competition only when he got on the juice. Ever since he got off the gear, he's regressed every year, even bearing in mind that the PED's he took in 2012 would have artificial benefits for a few years thereafter. He's back to being a plodder again and looks as finished as anyone.

I don't think there has been a more unsavoury scene in 2017 as the media fawning over the 'triumphant' return of the drug cheats in R1. It's akin to running a ticker tape parade for the return of Justin Gatlin at the Olympics.

Pretty good assessment.

Patty McCartin.

LostDoggy
20-04-2017, 08:10 AM
Zac Dawson has played about 10 seasons too many :o

Mofra
20-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Jarrad Waite.
Daniel Wells.
Wells is in the first year of a 3 year deal.
Whoopsies

Mantis
20-04-2017, 11:40 AM
Jarrad Waite.
Daniel Wells.

How can you say this with any conviction?

Waite played 1 game and kicked 1.7, saw lots of the ball (17 touches, 7 marks) just didn't finish off his work and then got injured with the type of injury that isn't an old man injury... If he kicked 4.4 or even 6.2 he would've been in the votes.

Haven't seen Wells at AFL level this year so I would think it's a wait and see on him too.

Mofra
20-04-2017, 01:00 PM
Haven't seen Wells at AFL level this year so I would think it's a wait and see on him too.
Wells has had significant injury troubles for two years, the same injuries he's struggling with now (and is not exactly the hardest trainer floating around).
Makes Collingwood's deal for him seem like lunacy.

Axe Man
20-04-2017, 01:18 PM
Wells has had significant injury troubles for two years, the same injuries he's struggling with now (and is not exactly the hardest trainer floating around).

Last year he was actually relatively injury free (19 games). It was the 2 seasons before that where he missed a lot of footy.

He had a great 2016 and was always going to play on, but the 3 year deal from the Pies was crazy given his age and history.

How about coaches that have gone on a year too long? Clarkson and Buckley at the top of the list at this stage?

Twodogs
20-04-2017, 01:18 PM

It's like it was the act of a manager who knew he was headed out the door and wanted to leave a large dump in the drawer of the new manager's desk.

SlimPickens
20-04-2017, 01:26 PM
Last year he was actually relatively injury free (19 games). It was the 2 seasons before that where he missed a lot of footy.

He had a great 2016 and was always going to play on, but the 3 year deal from the Pies was crazy given his age and history.

How about coaches that have gone on a year too long? Clarkson and Buckley at the top of the list at this stage?

You'd think Clarkson has plenty of runs on the board, to be given a chance to regenerate that list. Whether or not he wants to, is a different matter.

Dancin' Douggy
20-04-2017, 01:27 PM
Thats very different from he is a useless player now which seems to be the call for Burgoyne and Gibson.
But I never said he was a useless player. I just think he's played one season too long.

Dancin' Douggy
20-04-2017, 01:32 PM

But I'm talking about Hodge, playing on a half back flank, missing a target, then diving desperately in and under to redeem himself. Not him playing in the midfield.
It was really clear to me in the last quarter of the Geelong game.

Axe Man
20-04-2017, 06:44 PM
You'd think Clarkson has plenty of runs on the board, to be given a chance to regenerate that list. Whether or not he wants to, is a different matter.

No doubt Clarkson has earned the right to do whatever he wants. I meant in hindsight perhaps both parties would have been better off if they parted ways at the end of 2016.

LostDoggy
20-04-2017, 08:17 PM
Jarrod McVeigh

LostDoggy
20-04-2017, 08:20 PM
How can you say this with any conviction?

Waite played 1 game and kicked 1.7, saw lots of the ball (17 touches, 7 marks) just didn't finish off his work and then got injured with the type of injury that isn't an old man injury... If he kicked 4.4 or even 6.2 he would've been in the votes.

He's had to significent injuries the last two years missing huge chunks of games both times.
Plus i can't stand that dirty prick.

Dry Rot
21-04-2017, 12:25 AM
Kieran Jack and Jobe Watson.

Topdog
21-04-2017, 12:29 PM
No doubt Clarkson has earned the right to do whatever he wants. I meant in hindsight perhaps both parties would have been better off if they parted ways at the end of 2016.

You think that can be clarified after 4 weeks? Clarkson is a gun coach and 16 other teams in the comp will jump for joy and fight over themselves if he is sacked or gone.

Axe Man
21-04-2017, 12:54 PM
You think that can be clarified after 4 weeks? Clarkson is a gun coach and 16 other teams in the comp will jump for joy and fight over themselves if he is sacked or gone.

No of course not. I was just wondering out loud if Clarkson is up for a rebuild after such success when it appears from their trading that they were trying to stay up rather than bottom out.

MrMahatma
21-04-2017, 09:21 PM
No of course not. I was just wondering out loud if Clarkson is up for a rebuild after such success when it appears from their trading that they were trying to stay up rather than bottom out.

I reckon he knows what he's doing.