PDA

View Full Version : All The Small Things, Round 5, Vs Brisbane

bulldogtragic
23-04-2017, 10:11 AM
A celebration of the little things.

There was a 3 of 1 contest in the third (I think) where Hunter did an outstanding job.

Boyd's 50+m bombing goal in the second. He looked like vintage Carey coming out, getting the ball and wheeled around arrogantly and slotted it from a long way out. It felt like he was saying, 'give it to me, I'll do it and take the responsibility since the rest of you are missing easy goals'.

comrade
23-04-2017, 10:19 AM
Bont's ground kick.

SlimPickens
23-04-2017, 10:53 AM
Easton smothering Claye Beams in their goal square. Stayed switched on and stopped what should of been a certain goal.

Pickens contested mark almost immediately after above. Eleviated the pressure of the situation.

EasternWest
23-04-2017, 11:01 AM
Picken's mark in the last quarter was amazing.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2017, 11:03 AM
Easton smothering Claye Beams in their goal square. Stayed switched on and stopped what should of been a certain goal.

Pickens contested mark almost immediately after above. Eleviated the pressure of the situation.

Good calls on both. Picken simply has no fear, especially in that contest, he's one very tough mofo.

comrade
23-04-2017, 11:07 AM
Macrae's right foot pass to TC to keep the play flowing.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2017, 11:09 AM
Our trainer yelling out and pointing to the umpire that the Brisbane trainer ran through Bob's protected zone, getting a 50m penalty and certain goal. It's not often you can say a trainer was directly responsible for a goal.

EasternWest
23-04-2017, 11:20 AM
Oh and Dunkley has clearly been in the weight room. Those cannons.

SlimPickens
23-04-2017, 11:24 AM
TC's handball whilst being tackled, leading to Macraes goal in the first.

EasternWest
23-04-2017, 11:33 AM
TC's handball whilst being tackled, leading to Macraes goal in the first.

Good call Slim. I thought TC toiled pretty well for us yesterday.

SlimPickens
23-04-2017, 11:39 AM
Good call Slim. I thought TC toiled pretty well for us yesterday.

Agree, he has had a solid fortnight. Need a big one from him Friday.

westbulldog
23-04-2017, 11:40 AM
When play was near the boundary, can't recall what 1/4, a Brisbane player with the ball and a young kid decked in bulldogs gear leaning well over the fence giving him that "bent elbow" gesture (what's the right term for it ?). Anyway, when there is a remake of Romper Stomper that kid gets a gig.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2017, 12:04 PM
On the negative side:

We had momentum and that stupid score review with impossibly accurate footage took so bloody long that it acted to stop or slow our momentum. Conspiracy?

The out of bounds free against JJ while being slung in a tackle. If he holds it, it's a free. With an arm pinned, if he tries to handball, it's a free for throwing. So he kicks it and it's pot luck where it goes because of the slinging of his body in the tackle will determine the angle of the kick. So he's damned no matter what.

Flamethrower
23-04-2017, 12:24 PM
Lachie Hunter had a quiet one, but his effort to get to a contest in the last quarter to spoil a certain Lion mark by McCluggage 15m out from goal was huge. We were only 1 point ahead at the time with about 6 minutes left.

comrade
23-04-2017, 12:31 PM
Hunter had 2 huge spoils, one on the wing and the other deep in defence.

Twodogs
23-04-2017, 12:42 PM
When play was near the boundary, can't recall what 1/4, a Brisbane player with the ball and a young kid decked in bulldogs gear leaning well over the fence giving him that "bent elbow" gesture (what's the right term for it ?). Anyway, when there is a remake of Romper Stomper that kid gets a gig.

It's a Don't Argue. Mark Kellet may not have invented it but he was the first player I saw who perfected it enough to turn it into a part of his game.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2017, 03:38 PM
Stringers new found leg cannon. He kicked his running goal at the line of the square and carried at least 10m passed. That's a 70m drop punt!!

comrade
23-04-2017, 03:47 PM
Who would you choose to kick for you life, 60m out on the run: JJ or Stringer?

bulldogtragic
23-04-2017, 03:57 PM
Who would you choose to kick for you life, 60m out on the run: JJ or Stringer?

Stringer.

Twodogs
23-04-2017, 05:43 PM
Stringers new found leg cannon. He kicked his running goal at the line of the square and carried at least 10m passed. That's a 70m drop punt!!

It's great to watch. Such a weapon for when you really want a quick goal to follow up the ine you've just kicked. Get Stringer into the centre bounce, clear a path and get the ball in his hands. Then just stand back and watch.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2017, 05:55 PM
It's great to watch. Such a weapon for when you really want a quick goal to follow up the ine you've just kicked. Get Stringer into the centre bounce, clear a path and get the ball in his hands. Then just stand back and watch.

It a tad different to watching Farren Ray & Jordan McMahon bursting into the 50 to spray it into the crowd in the forward pocket.

I really didn't realise he was equal with Suckling for the longest kick in the team. Kicking goals from inside the centre square and getting it 10 rows back is phenomenally long. And we've got two of them. Maybe that stupid 9 point thing should come in.

Ozza
24-04-2017, 11:53 AM
Our trainer yelling out and pointing to the umpire that the Brisbane trainer ran through Bob's protected zone, getting a 50m penalty and certain goal. It's not often you can say a trainer was directly responsible for a goal.

There is clearly no 'trainers code' !

Ozza
24-04-2017, 11:57 AM
1. Early in the third quarter, we absolutely couldn't afford to give up a goal.
Stringer kicked in Dunkley's direction and Dunks had one player on his hammer, and another Brisbane player nearby - looking up at the field, if he doesn't mark, Brisbane would have opened us up easily. Dunks holds the mark under great pressure.
Sounds ridiculous - but it was a mark 70m out from our goal, which probably prevented a goal the other way.

2. JJ's little toe poke in the last quarter that started an end to end goal.

bulldogtragic
24-04-2017, 12:00 PM
There is clearly no 'trainers code' !

I've watched that clip a few times, it's as if their trainer had never watched an AFL game ever. It's up there with the dumbest thing I've seen on field. Not just near his 10m protected zone, but through the middle of the mark... I mean, thanks for gifting Bob a goal, but it's easily the dumbest thing I can remember in recent memory.

bulldogtragic
24-04-2017, 12:02 PM
1. Early in the third quarter, we absolutely couldn't afford to give up a goal.
Stringer kicked in Dunkley's direction and Dunks had one player on his hammer, and another Brisbane player nearby - looking up at the field, if he doesn't mark, Brisbane would have opened us up easily. Dunks holds the mark under great pressure.
Sounds ridiculous - but it was a mark 70m out from our goal, which probably prevented a goal the other way.

2. JJ's little toe poke in the last quarter that started an end to end goal.

Great call on point two. I had a flash back to the prelim when he did that. I love when the little things go our way.

Twodogs
24-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Flethcher Roberts (I think) staying alert enough to get a hand in to smother Beames's handball attempt from the goal square. Saved a certain goal and maintained the momentum we had built to that stage. A Brisbane goal would have knocked the stuffing our of us at that stage I reckon.

It was only one goal in a winning margin of 32 points but games are won and lost in moments and that particular moment could have swung the match back their way. It's the first moment I thought "we've got control back, we can win this"

Mantis
24-04-2017, 12:09 PM
Flethcher Roberts (I think) staying alert enough to get a hand in to smother Beames's handball attempt from the goal square. Saved a certain goal and maintained the momentum we had built to that stage. A Brisbane goal would have knocked the stuffing our of us at that stage I reckon.

It was only one goal in a winning margin of 32 points but games are won and lost in moments and that particular moment could have swung the match back their way. It's the first moment I thought "we've got control back, we can win this"

It was Easton Wood, Adams then smothered the kick.. Roberts wasn't a part of the play.

Ozza
24-04-2017, 12:19 PM
I've watched that clip a few times, it's as if their trainer had never watched an AFL game ever. It's up there with the dumbest thing I've seen on field. Not just near his 10m protected zone, but through the middle of the mark... I mean, thanks for gifting Bob a goal, but it's easily the dumbest thing I can remember in recent memory.

I'm not sure what the story is with Brisbane and their trainers for interstate games - but I understand (form a mate who works with him) that the trainer that gave away the 50m lives/works in Melbourne. Feel sorry for him.

I think that, a bit like the interchange, you can look at it and go "one off, one on - how hard could it be"....but its a pretty chaotic game, and a lapse in concentration get very very severe penalties.

westbulldog
24-04-2017, 12:26 PM
It's a Don't Argue. Mark Kellet may not have invented it but he was the first player I saw who perfected it enough to turn it into a part of his game.

Yep, it was a combination of that and "up yours"

choconmientay
24-04-2017, 12:51 PM
Marcus Adams was the only one who motivated the guys (all of them were heads down and not talking to each other to get the defence set-up right after Brisbane scored few goals in a row) when he went back to the defence.

At one stage, he also ran to Biggs and motivated/told him to get his act together after he got out-marked by Zorko.

Sedat
24-04-2017, 12:51 PM
Mickey Conlon invented the don't argue but Mark Kellett was certainly an early adopter. I remember Conlon once using his head for a don't argue and kicked a goal straight after it.

soupman
24-04-2017, 01:44 PM
I'm not sure what the story is with Brisbane and their trainers for interstate games - but I understand (form a mate who works with him) that the trainer that gave away the 50m lives/works in Melbourne. Feel sorry for him.

I think that, a bit like the interchange, you can look at it and go "one off, one on - how hard could it be"....but its a pretty chaotic game, and a lapse in concentration get very very severe penalties.

Pretty sure it's standard for the non-Vic teams to have Melbourne based non-core staff.

Ie. I know Port Adelaide's matchday trainers and bench officials for their Victorian games are all Melbourne based. Not sure how it works for other away games where you only play once a season (Sydney, Brisbane etc.) although I believe Port would fly their Melbourne crew down for the Tassie matches.

Twodogs
24-04-2017, 03:35 PM
Mickey Conlon invented the don't argue but Mark Kellett was certainly an early adopter. I remember Conlon once using his head for a don't argue and kicked a goal straight after it.

Oh yeah I remember that. He was quite a player with that combination of speed and power he could change a game with ten minutes of footy.

Fagan said on Sunday's footy show that the trainers are Melbourne based. I don't really see what where he lived had to do with him running through the mark like that though.

Ozza
24-04-2017, 03:41 PM
Fagan said on Sunday's footy show that the trainers are Melbourne based. I don't really see what where he lived had to do with him running through the mark like that though.

The point is, that they don't do it every week - rather, a handful of times per year - so are probably more likely to make a blue.

bulldogtragic
24-04-2017, 05:04 PM
Oh yeah I remember that. He was quite a player with that combination of speed and power he could change a game with ten minutes of footy.

Alright I will admit it, I'm actually that trainer being discussed. I just really wanted Bob to kick it, so I took the opportunity.

bornadog
24-04-2017, 05:46 PM
Alright I will admit it, I'm actually that trainer being discussed. I just really wanted Bob to kick it, so I took the opportunity.

You don't look Chinese?

How was that fool who racially abused the trainer - there are some real dicks in this world.

Twodogs
24-04-2017, 05:55 PM
The point is, that they don't do it every week - rather, a handful of times per year - so are probably more likely to make a blue.

Can't remember the exact quote but one of the panel said something like "so they aren't your usual trainers so there's some excuse because those trainers wouldn't be doing that job very often" and Fagan shot back "i thought it was often enough but obviously it wasn't" with a rueful smile.

bulldogtragic
24-04-2017, 10:05 PM
You don't look Chinese?.

Don't you oppress me.

Twodogs
24-04-2017, 10:09 PM
Come and see the violence inherited in the system...

1eyedog
25-04-2017, 12:17 AM

That was Jack Dyer.