PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 7, 2017 vs Richmond

Eastdog
24-04-2017, 01:04 AM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 7, 2017 match against Richmond at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
28-04-2017, 11:22 PM
Fire away

bulldogtragic
28-04-2017, 11:40 PM
In: Campbell, Boyd
Out: C. Smith, Dale

Love to know who from the VFL put their hands up.

Hotdog60
28-04-2017, 11:40 PM
Out: Libba, Smith
In Wallis, Dickson

comrade
28-04-2017, 11:43 PM
Clay Smith must not play next week.

Happy Days
29-04-2017, 12:06 AM
In: Crozier

Out: Smith

Bloody McCartney

josie
29-04-2017, 12:07 AM
Ditto Hotdog. And maybe Webb in for Dale.

bornadog
29-04-2017, 12:08 AM

Bloody McCartney

Very funny:D

bornadog
29-04-2017, 12:09 AM
In: Wallis

KT31
29-04-2017, 12:19 AM
Out: Libba, Smith
In Wallis, Dickson

Chatting on the bench to the trainers and looked more frustrated than groggy, I'm calling it now that he will play next week.

KT31
29-04-2017, 12:20 AM
What are the chances of Wallis coming back in, reports from my Pups are he was killing them in the VFL ?

Mantis
29-04-2017, 12:28 AM
Chatting on the bench to the trainers and looked more frustrated than groggy, I'm calling it now that he will play next week.

Should he play? Was pretty quiet before the knock.

Smith needs a spell, miles off the pace.

GVGjr
29-04-2017, 12:28 AM
What are the chances of Wallis coming back in, reports from my Pups are he was killing them in the VFL ?

He should play another week at Footscray but you never know

1eyedog
29-04-2017, 12:38 AM

Bloody McCartney

Ouch. He was a bit on the nose tonight.

jeemak
29-04-2017, 12:43 AM
Campbell needs to come in if fit, as does Boyd.

My preference would be to leave Dale and Williams in, each showed a bit. Clay is really struggling at present, he needs to be put back to the twos.

I'd be confident Wallis won't be playing seniors, he may not even pull up well enough to play twos.

MrMahatma
29-04-2017, 12:52 AM
In: Webb

Danny the snakeman
29-04-2017, 12:55 AM
out - smith
in - wallis

Mantis
29-04-2017, 01:04 AM
Wallis can't come in.. Let him get some miles in his legs & play against a proper team.

westbulldog
29-04-2017, 01:31 AM
Out: C. Smith, Dale

Love to know who from the VFL put their hands up.

agreed

jazzadogs
29-04-2017, 06:28 AM
It sounds like Wallis got great numbers from minimal game time. This shows that he's a class above VFL, but would also suggest he's not ready for a full AFL match.

It sounds like Webb is next in line from the VFL but he can't play Smiths role. Campbell back in for Smith would be alright by me.

Go_Dogs
29-04-2017, 09:09 AM
In:

Campbell, Boyd

Out:

Smith, Liberatore/Dahlhaus (Dahl copped a kick to his hand/wrist and Libba looked a bit groggy - guess we'll know more shortly, but wouldn't be surprised to see one of them miss).

If Libba and Dahl both get up, then probably Dale who misses, albeit he's unlucky as he had some moments. Should be a confidence boosting performance for him though.

always right
29-04-2017, 12:56 PM
In Campbell
Out Dale (although I would prefer Smith out)

DOG GOD
29-04-2017, 01:09 PM
Out dale/smith
In Campbell/Boyd

Dale stays is Libba is out.

Rocco Jones
29-04-2017, 01:13 PM
In: M.Boyd, Campbell
Out: Smith, Dale

Dale to play if anyone isn't right.

merantau
29-04-2017, 01:53 PM
In: Campbell, M. Boyd
Out: Smith - he looked very slow and provided little pressure last night
Dale - I know this sounds churlish, but if he had nailed that goal I 'd probably feel differently. He was there to kick goals and he didn't take his opportunity.

ratsmac
30-04-2017, 07:51 AM
In: Campbell, M. Boyd
Out: Smith - he looked very slow and provided little pressure last night
Dale - I know this sounds churlish, but if he had nailed that goal I 'd probably feel differently. He was there to kick goals and he didn't take his opportunity.

I'm with you merantau.

In
M Boyd, Campbell.

Out
Smith, Dale

Smith - his form has been a real concern so far this season and considering he's coming out of contract it's not good timing on his behalf. His tackling and pressure was the only thing that has kept him in the team but even that was missing against the fakes. I think Dickson would be a good replacement but he would need a few games at Footscray first. So Boyd in for Smith.

Dale was obviously the late change for Soup. He didn't play a bad game but didn't do enough to force anyone else out for Campbell to return. He probably needed a couple of the opportunist type goals that he can get at times to keep his spot.

If Libba or Dahl are quite right I'd be tempted to bring in Wallis but I'd say Webb would get the opportunity and deservingly so too.

Bulldog Revolution
30-04-2017, 09:47 AM
Wallis can't come in.. Let him get some miles in his legs & play against a proper team.

Agreed - he needs another 3ish games to even be in the frame for me

Smith under pressure - struggling

bornadog
30-04-2017, 10:54 AM
Agreed - he needs another 3ish games to even be in the frame for me

Smith under pressure - struggling

Bevo did say Wallis still needs time at VFL level.

Campbell must come in.

Rocco Jones
30-04-2017, 11:17 AM
Wally definitely needs at least one week more in the VFL. If he dominates with extra minutes, does avoiding the long flight to Perth come into it?

Bulldog Joe
30-04-2017, 11:49 AM
Wally definitely needs at least one week more in the VFL. If he dominates with extra minutes, does avoiding the long flight to Perth come into it?

I think targeting the Geelong game makes sense. It gives him a chance to overcome the niggles from early games and brings him in for a game where we will really need our best.

always right
30-04-2017, 01:26 PM
Word is Libba is in real doubt for this week. If so, Webb is likely to get his chance as an inside midfielder.

boydogs
30-04-2017, 01:56 PM
Clay Smith must not play next week.

Smith needs a spell, miles off the pace.

We missed his defensive pressure, he seemed very slow. Not sure if dropping him to the VFL would help, or he just needs match fitness

Rocco Jones
30-04-2017, 02:04 PM
Word is Libba is in real doubt for this week. If so, Webb is likely to get his chance as an inside midfielder.

Where have you heard the word from?

Mantis
30-04-2017, 02:28 PM
We missed his defensive pressure, he seemed very slow. Not sure if dropping him to the VFL would help, or he just needs match fitness

He gave us nothing offensively which was my major gripe.

GVGjr
30-04-2017, 06:21 PM

And I don't think it's just the concussion

GVGjr
30-04-2017, 06:22 PM

It might be tempting to do so but I'd wait at least one more week but preferably two more weeks.

Eastdog
30-04-2017, 06:30 PM
Will Wally be named. Im thinking maybe another week or so. Played very well on Friday night in the VFL.

Rocco Jones
30-04-2017, 06:59 PM
And I don't think it's just the concussion

Please explain?

Eastdog
30-04-2017, 07:02 PM
Would be good to see Webby given a call up. The reports I've read from the VFLhave been very positive. How far away is Morris?

GVGjr
30-04-2017, 07:13 PM
Please explain?

Pauline, he's been down on possession numbers for a couple of weeks and while that isn't always a strong indicator he hasn't appeared to be getting to as many contests late in games either. That would indicate he might have a few niggles that are being managed.

Still he is a Liberatore and might shake things off quickly.

GVGjr
30-04-2017, 07:15 PM
Would be good to see Webby given a call up. The reports I've read from the VFLhave been very positive. How far away is Morris?

Morris would be 3 weeks away if not 4.

Webby has been in good form but I think it's fair to say he has come into the seniors in good form last year and struggled to make an impact. I'd certainly give him a great chance to be selected though.

Eastdog
30-04-2017, 07:18 PM
Morris would be 3 weeks away if not 4.

Webby has been in good form but I think it's fair to say he has come into the seniors in good form last year and struggled to make an impact. I'd certainly give him a great chance to be selected though.

Will be a huge addition to our already hard working defence.

Rocco Jones
30-04-2017, 07:22 PM
With the Tigers smaller forward line, I would consider Zaine or Fletch up forward at times. Adams would be more suited to it, however I feel he is needed against Jack Riewoldt.

Dunks and Jong will hopefully help us compete against Rance aerially.

Rocco Jones
30-04-2017, 07:24 PM

I mentioned it last week, the issue with playing Webb is he needs lots of time in the middle to add value. He isn't just another runner. I see him hopefully going from VFL to real AFL quality rather than the more common progression of adding more bit by bit at AFL level.

Hotdog60
30-04-2017, 08:16 PM
We could give Webb til the bye if he can hold his place and if the numbers don't stack up maybe he becomes surplus at years end.

Doc26
30-04-2017, 08:18 PM
Nankervis just reported for a swinging elbow - should get a week - which will help our mid field match up given our current dwindling ruck position.

GVGjr
30-04-2017, 08:21 PM
Nankervis just reported for a swinging elbow - should get a week - which will help our mid field match up given our current dwindling ruck position.

It didn't look like something that could be defended.

bulldogtragic
30-04-2017, 08:23 PM
It didn't look like something that could be defended.

Neither did head butting a player 2m from an umpire. I have no faith in the MRP.

Rocco Jones
30-04-2017, 08:48 PM
Nankervis out would be massive for us.

jeemak
30-04-2017, 09:06 PM
We could give Webb til the bye if he can hold his place and if the numbers don't stack up maybe he becomes surplus at years end.

Pretty tough on a third year player trying to get consistent games in the reigning premiership side.

Eastdog
30-04-2017, 09:22 PM

Who will mainly do our ruck duties? Boydy will probably be involved in there again but we still want him focused up forward. Will Campebell be ready to go? He was a late withdrawal on Friday night. Roughead another big out for us and look forward to when he returns.

Eastdog
30-04-2017, 09:22 PM
Nankervis out would be massive for us.

Its a good start for us.

Hotdog60
30-04-2017, 09:39 PM
Pretty tough on a third year player trying to get consistent games in the reigning premiership side.

Maybe a bit tough, I'd like to see him do well so if he could get a descent run at AFL level. But could he be the type that's too good at VFL level and not quite good enough at AFL level. I was just thinking of the 3 that have to go at years end but I guess there's some oldies that may not go on.

Eastdog
30-04-2017, 09:43 PM
Will guys like Honeychurch and Hamilton get called up this year. HC very good in the VFL but can he take it on in the AFL. Hamilton been disappointing from what I've heard in the VFL reports. Guys like McHugh seem to be going better than Hamilton.

LostDoggy
30-04-2017, 10:03 PM
Ins- Boyd, Dickson
Outs- Smith, Dale

Dale probably a bit stiff, but need Dickson for his sharpshooting.
As much as I hate to say it, I think Clay needs to go back to the VFL and find some form.
Webb still pushing for his opportunity good to see and Wallis needs at least another week. Not sure where big Tom Campbell is at but we are in need of a ruckman as well.

1eyedog
30-04-2017, 10:22 PM
Out: Dale, Smith

Ozza
01-05-2017, 12:04 PM
Probably pre-mature to be giving ins and outs given that we are not sure on Libba and Dahlhaus' injury status, but what I would offer is;

- I don't think we should be rushing Wallis or Dickson in. After the time they've had off - second-up after a spell might be a tougher week for both.
- I would be inclined to play Campbell. I don't believe for a second that he was out injured on Friday, we just went with a smaller team due to the conditions. Although Boyd has been poor, I would hope that playing him forward more often will straighten up our forward entries.
- Clay Smith seems short of a gallop at the moment, just looks fatigued all of the time and its showing in his lack of composure.
- Was pleased to see Bailey Dale get to so many contests on Friday. He probably didn't handle the conditions that well, but I'd be happy to see him get another crack at Etihad. If he got his hands on it 18 times at Etihad - I think he could do some damage.

Mofra
01-05-2017, 12:13 PM
Maybe a bit tough, I'd like to see him do well so if he could get a descent run at AFL level. But could he be the type that's too good at VFL level and not quite good enough at AFL level. I was just thinking of the 3 that have to go at years end but I guess there's some oldies that may not go on.
Murphy and Boyd likely, Prudden and Hamilton would be lucky to be at the kennel in 2018 (we should offer Prudden the Footscray captaincy if Russell walks, solid citizen).

I think we'll be ok for vacancies, assuming nobody is traded out which is unlikely as we trade someone pretty much every year.

Mofra
01-05-2017, 12:14 PM
- I don't think we should be rushing Wallis or Dickson in. After the time they've had off - second-up after a spell might be a tougher week for both.
Bevo's post match presser seemed to indicate that Wallis would take a bit more time. He'll be given a few games at VFL level I suspect, needs match fitness and North Ballarat hardly count.

kruder
01-05-2017, 03:17 PM
Peoples thoughts on Webb? He is just a bit vanilla for mine, struggles to win the ball and then seems to handball more than kick at the elite level for a player who is a solid kick. I've seen quite a few times people have had him in for Jong, but Jongy has 3 weapons speed, marking and his attack on pill which puts him well ahead of him.

He might get his chance this weekend lets hope he can take it.

Ozza
01-05-2017, 04:33 PM
Fun fact for this week versus Richmond.

Marcus Bontempelli has played the Tigers twice. He has polled the 3 brownlow votes on both occasions. Let's be sure to pick him.

bornadog
01-05-2017, 04:46 PM
With Nankervis sure to miss, do we go with one ruck again?

bulldogtragic
01-05-2017, 04:48 PM
With Nankervis sure to miss, do we go with one ruck again?

Depending in who they have to come in, English might be a look in maybe.

Axe Man
01-05-2017, 04:54 PM
Depending in who they have to come in, English might be a look in maybe.

Ivan Maric would be the most likely replacement.

LostDoggy
01-05-2017, 04:57 PM
Richmond have been playing Nankervis 1 out with Grigg playing the Dunkley role. Even if he was playing I'd nearly expect us to only play 1 ruck.

Richmond are a very small side this year.

I'd expect us to start Adams forward with J Roo the only 'tall' forward Richmond have. Roberts takes him, Cordy/Wood takes the resting midfielder. JJ, Williams, Boyd (if fit), Murphy take the 4 or 5 smalls.

bulldogtragic
01-05-2017, 05:00 PM
Ivan Maric would be the most likely replacement.

Obviously he'd physically have it over Tim, but on the flip side, a slow and lumbering type would be great to work through from our side and enhance Tim's strengths, plus him playing freeing Boyd to split time forward and ruck. If Tim is getting too monstered, we can rotate around to try to have Boyd on Maric & Tim on Griffiths (if he's their second ruck).

The Pie Man
01-05-2017, 05:20 PM
I'd play English - Campbell hasn't impressed with opportunity this season.
I'd also play Dickson - we need class in the F50

IN: English, Dickson, M Boyd/Biggs*
OUT: B Dale, C Smith, Williams

Bailey Dale fairly stiff, would perhaps survive if Libba needs a rest.

*Wonder if M Boyd is any chance playing VFL

bornadog
01-05-2017, 05:55 PM
Doesn't mean alot against a weak opposition:

Stats

Shane Biggs: 35 disposals, five marks, five i50s
Mitch Wallis: Three goals, 34 disposals, 11 tackles
Lukas Webb: 32 disposals, eight marks, seven i50s, one goal
Declan Hamilton: Three goals, 29 disposals, eight marks
Kieran Collins: 20 disposals, eight marks
Lewis Young: 18 disposals, eight marks
Nathan Mullenger-McHugh: Three goals, 16 disposals, five tackles
Josh Prudden: 15 disposals, three tackles
Tory Dickson: Three goals, 13 disposals, four i50 marks
Tim English: 26 hitouts, 10 disposals, five marks
Fergus Greene: Eight disposals, three marks
Brad Lynch: Three disposals, one mark, one tackle

jeemak
01-05-2017, 06:02 PM
Wonder why Honey didn't play?

always right
01-05-2017, 06:15 PM
With Nankervis out I wouldn't bring a ruckman in.

Williams deserves another chance so Boyd comes in. If Libba misses, either Dale stays or Webb comes in.

Axe Man
01-05-2017, 06:38 PM
Obviously he'd physically have it over Tim, but on the flip side, a slow and lumbering type would be great to work through from our side and enhance Tim's strengths, plus him playing freeing Boyd to split time forward and ruck. If Tim is getting too monstered, we can rotate around to try to have Boyd on Maric & Tim on Griffiths (if he's their second ruck).

As Jaytee said they haven't been playing a second ruck (both Griffiths and Hampson are out indefinitely). I'm looking forward to the battle of the midget ruckmen - Dunkley v Grigg!

jeemak
02-05-2017, 02:21 AM
With Nankervis out I wouldn't bring a ruckman in.

Williams deserves another chance so Boyd comes in. If Libba misses, either Dale stays or Webb comes in.

As the game tightened up in the last 45 minutes or so some of the moments involved kind of washed over the memory of Williams use and the way he tried to use it if it didn't go well.

Yes, he had a pretty poor effort or two in the second half of the game, but he's a six or so game veteran that is going to make mistakes for a few years before he becomes the supreme player we're tempted to believe he can be.

I rated Dale's game higher than others. I thought he did a lot in the first 30-40 minutes of the game that kept us in it, and was a solid contributor. Not being at the ground it's hard to understand fully why he faded.

1eyedog
02-05-2017, 07:56 AM
As Jaytee said they haven't been playing a second ruck (both Griffiths and Hampson are out indefinitely). I'm looking forward to the battle of the midget ruckmen - Dunkley v Grigg!

What happenrd to Maric?

The Doctor
02-05-2017, 09:01 AM
M Boyd for Williams
English for Dale
Webb for Dunkley

Axe Man
02-05-2017, 10:36 AM
What happenrd to Maric?

Nothing, he will probably play. Perhaps I should have said battle of the midget backup ruckmen (when Maric & Boyd aren't in the ruck and assuming Campbell or English don't come in).

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
02-05-2017, 10:43 AM
Wonder why Honey didn't play?

Me too no sign or mention of him

Mantis
02-05-2017, 11:11 AM
In - Webb, Campbell

Out - Libba, Smith

Happy to give M.Boyd another week off with a 6 day break to Perth coming up.

bornadog
04-05-2017, 11:24 AM
LB Press Conference:

* Bob is fine, did tweek ankle but is ok to go. Libba got through his test so is available for selection

* Based on way Mitch played, yes but will have another one or two in the VFL

* We need to recognise the performances in VFL, but Caleb went about it in great fashion last week

* Elements of the way we play we liked, but we didn't convert and forward line was a bit chaotic

* Tory played very well, but probably another 1-2 away from possible selection

* We'll pay some attention to Dustin, but they've got some great midfielders and support act. Control as mid group

Axe Man
04-05-2017, 12:16 PM
Reece Conca out for the tigers with a foot injury.

Replacement for Nankervis to come down to the 2 cousin Ivans - Maric and Soldo. Todd Elton could also be added to as a tall forward.

Happy Days
04-05-2017, 12:17 PM

Replacement for Nankervis to come down to the 2 cousin Ivans - Maric and Soldo. Todd Elton could also be added to as a tall forward.

Well I mean if you don't laugh it's sad.

Axe Man
04-05-2017, 12:19 PM
Well I mean if you don't laugh it's sad.

I'll laugh when we win and not before! ;)

kruder
04-05-2017, 12:22 PM
Its all about pushing the XCLASS ute which launches next year and considering utes are the number 1 selling cars in Australia, AFL is a good start as any.

Its great to see the club not satisfied after one premiership and really pushing on and taking advantage of our success last year. Well done to all involved.
oops wrong thread ha

Ozza
04-05-2017, 12:52 PM
Beveridge saying "a couple of boys that should stay in the team, will be stiff" makes me think it will be Campbell and Boyd to come in for Dale and Williams.

bornadog
04-05-2017, 03:14 PM

Has been upgraded from Rookie list, so may get his chance.

Mofra
04-05-2017, 04:10 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-04/tigers-yet-to-make-a-selection-call-on-cousins

LostDoggy
04-05-2017, 04:16 PM
What I think it may be:

Ins - Campbell, Boyd, Webb

Outs - Williams, Smith, Dahl (Wrist)

bornadog
04-05-2017, 07:35 PM
One change Matthew Boyd in for Dale

1eyedog
04-05-2017, 07:41 PM
Clay Smith should buy a lotto ticket.

bulldogtragic
04-05-2017, 07:49 PM
Bevo said a couple of boys will be stiff to miss. That still means 2 doesn't it?

Rocket Science
04-05-2017, 07:58 PM

Let him redeem himself by being a bowling ball to Richmond's tenpins.

comrade
04-05-2017, 08:13 PM
Think the non selection of Campbell tells you Bevo a) rates tap ruckman very lowly and b) rates Tom Boyd's current output as a stay at home forward just as much as he rates tap ruckmen.

always right
04-05-2017, 08:59 PM
Think the non selection of Campbell tells you Bevo a) rates tap ruckman very lowly and b) rates Tom Boyd's current output as a stay at home forward just as much as he rates tap ruckmen.
...or perhaps he doesn't see the need to rush Campbell back against a team missing their top two ruckmen.

comrade
04-05-2017, 09:06 PM
...or perhaps he doesn't see the need to rush Campbell back against a team missing their top two ruckmen.

So who plays forward to keep Rance honest?

And if Richmond's rucks are so poor, wouldn't Bevo see Campbell as a weapon to gain a definitive advantage...if he rated him.

GVGjr
04-05-2017, 09:08 PM

That's how I see it. This is one of the better weeks to take a chance on not playing a first string ruckman given our depleted stocks.

comrade
04-05-2017, 09:10 PM
That's how I see it. This is one of the better weeks to take a chance on not playing a first string ruckman given our depleted stocks.

If winning the ruck battle was important to Bevo, this is the exact week you play your best available tap ruckman.

GVGjr
04-05-2017, 09:19 PM
If winning the ruck battle was important to Bevo, this is the exact week you play your best available tap ruckman.
I won't agree with the logic you've put forward but I'd ask that if winning the ruck battle is of so little importance to Bevo why would he be playing a 2nd string ruckman what we pay Boyd to fill the position or why our first pick at the draft was a long term ruck prospect.
On top of that we have reached our for a few genuine ruckman since Bevo arrived.

Campbell missed 8 games last year and 6 of those weeks were either foot or ankle injuries and I think this suggests he needs to be managed for another week.

comrade
04-05-2017, 09:31 PM
I won't agree with the logic you've put forward but I'd ask that if winning the ruck battle is of so little importance to Bevo why would he be playing a 2nd string ruckman what we pay Boyd to fill the position or why our first pick at the draft was a long term ruck prospect.
On top of that we have reached our for a few genuine ruckman since Bevo arrived.

Campbell missed 8 games last year and 6 of those weeks were either foot or ankle injuries and I think this suggests he needs to be managed for another week.

1. Why is Bevo choosing Boyd ahead of Campbell? Because from where I sit, Bevo rates Boyd more as a ruck/follower type than as a pure KPF. And rates his ruck/follower work more than Campbell's.
2. I didn't say he doesn't rate ruckman, I said he doesn't rate tap ruckmen. English isn't a tap ruckman. He's a 207cm midfielder that can also tap.
3. We've gone over the ruck target ground before. Kreuzer and Martin are not pure tap ruckmen, they are mobile follower types that contribute around the ground. The antithesis of the Campbell type. Lobbe is in the Campbell mold and the only one that suits your logic, but I'm yet to see definitive proof we were as keen as you suggest we were.
4. Campbell is named as an emergency and is named in the VFL side. He could just as easily hurt himself in the seconds which suggests he's not being 'held back' like you think he might be.

Doc26
04-05-2017, 09:35 PM
Clay has been someway off the pace of the game this season which was particularly evident at key stages in last week's game.
As a small forward he must start to show that he can at least keep up with the pace aside from simply bringing tackling pressure in tighter space. The selectors are a bit more patient with him than I am. Maybe Libba having a cloud over him, coming off concussion, may have helped the case to retain Clay over someone like Bailey Dale. With Tory and Stewie only a week or two away the pressure must be on Clay to lift this week if his body permits him to.

Ozza
04-05-2017, 10:08 PM
I'm not so sure we should hold our breath around Crameri returning to senior footy too soon.
Hopefully my mail is a little off the mark - but I've heard that its not just an aggravated hip that's holding him back, but also that his body/fitness is not holding up to the rigors of AFL footy.

comrade
04-05-2017, 10:11 PM
I'm not so sure we should hold our breath around Crameri returning to senior footy too soon.
Hopefully my mail is a little off the mark - but I've heard that its not just an aggravated hip that's holding him back, but also that his body/fitness is not holding up to the rigors of AFL footy.

Feel for Stew, it can't be easy having a full year out of the game and the club. He's not the only banned player currently struggling. It's probably best to just plonk him in the VFL until after the bye and re-assess then. Treat it like a bonus if he gets back to his best or close to it this year.

LostDoggy
04-05-2017, 10:20 PM
Feel for Stew, it can't be easy having a full year out of the game and the club. He's not the only banned player currently struggling. It's probably best to just plonk him in the VFL until after the bye and re-assess then. Treat it like a bonus if he gets back to his best or close to it this year.

I agree with it can't be easy for him and leaving him in the VFL without any pressure. Would be a very handy IN later in the year.

Rocket Science
04-05-2017, 10:23 PM

Might be a job for Zaine.

jeemak
04-05-2017, 10:25 PM
Bevo is on record as suggesting Boyd at this stage is a second ruck and developing forward.

If he thought we really needed a true ruck to take on Richmond he'd have taken Campbell in. He still might, given Campbell is an emergency.

Rocco Jones
04-05-2017, 10:37 PM
With Rance, I think he hurts sides with immobile/poor talls more than he does a small forward line. He zones and rebounds off non quality talls. I feel our best way against their backline is with a smaller forward line, however we must be a lot smarter with our entry.

Rocco Jones
04-05-2017, 10:38 PM
A big part of Campbell being out is doubts over his ankle too IMO. He struggles to get through games and I see him as too much of a risk compared to his value.

FrediKanoute
04-05-2017, 10:42 PM
Happy with the in. Would like to see Webb in the team as well though and thought there may be room this week for him.

Not sold on Campbell. Doesn't do enough round the ground for mine. Big job again for Tom Boyd

Ozza
04-05-2017, 10:47 PM

Not exactly ideal that he is being investigated by NSW police for his (presumably suspicious to them) greyhound betting activity.

LostDoggy
04-05-2017, 10:59 PM

Maybe Clay has been asked to play a certain role and he is doing it? Maybe.

The Adelaide Connection
04-05-2017, 11:09 PM
Not exactly ideal that he is being investigated by NSW police for his (presumably suspicious to them) greyhound betting activity.

Say what? :confused:

bornadog
04-05-2017, 11:10 PM
Maybe Clay has been asked to play a certain role and he is doing it? Maybe.

2 tackles last week, and very few disposals, so not sure what he brought to the team or what he was supposed to have been doing, but it didn't work.

always right
04-05-2017, 11:14 PM

And if Richmond's rucks are so poor, wouldn't Bevo see Campbell as a weapon to gain a definitive advantage...if he rated him.

Richmond do not have marking defenders. Rance and Astbury are spoiling types and Rance in particular works best as a sweeper at ground level. We don't currently have high marking forwards to exploit this so it makes sense to play a smaller forward line who can take advantage of the ball being on the ground a lot of the time. Wouldn't surprise if Clay was given the task of making life difficult for Rance.

Our rucks typically play negating type roles against opposition ruckmen. Even with an under-manned ruck department, I reckon Bevo doubts Campbell's ability to dominate Richmond. He rarely does this at VFL level.

Ozza
04-05-2017, 11:15 PM
Say what? :confused:

Was reported by Damien Barrett on the Footy Show that NSW police are looking into betting activity of Crameri and Jake Melksham on some greyhound races in June last year. Investigation seems to surround the quantum of the (winning) bets, the computers and accounts used and the form of the greyhounds bet on. So its murky at best, what is going on.

Barret spoke to the club - they said they are aware and are satisfied with the response.
He also spoke to Greyhound racing NSW and they said it is a matter for NSW police.
AFL integrity officer cleared Crameri and Melksham (apart from the fine to Melksham that we already knew about).

Hopefully nothing in it, but obviously not ideal when police are looking into something to do with one of our players.

LostDoggy
04-05-2017, 11:35 PM
2 tackles last week, and very few disposals, so not sure what he brought to the team or what he was supposed to have been doing, but it didn't work.

Stats wise I know doesn't look good but not all roles are measured on numbers.

jeemak
05-05-2017, 12:35 AM
Richmond do not have marking defenders. Rance and Astbury are spoiling types and Rance in particular works best as a sweeper at ground level. We don't currently have high marking forwards to exploit this so it makes sense to play a smaller forward line who can take advantage of the ball being on the ground a lot of the time. Wouldn't surprise if Clay was given the task of making life difficult for Rance.

Our rucks typically play negating type roles against opposition ruckmen. Even with an under-manned ruck department, I reckon Bevo doubts Campbell's ability to dominate Richmond. He rarely does this at VFL level.

It will be interesting to see how we try to avoid Rance on the shorter and narrower ground this week. As we fatigued last week our penetration suffered and instead of getting it deep to the hot spot we started entering shallower. We didn't adjust to the changed defensive set up and made ourselves look a bit silly.

Much like Spotless a good way to find space at Docklands is to get the ball short and diagonal/lateral between half back and wing, switching wide thereafter to an overlapping player if the corridor is closed. If we play down a line Rance will cut us up, the ground or space won't allow him not to.

kruder
05-05-2017, 12:45 AM
I have a feeling Libba or Dahl will be a late out. Dale is unlucky he was solid would have been nice to see him play again this week.

westdog54
05-05-2017, 06:26 AM
Might be a job for Zaine.

Has been named at full-forward.

GVGjr
05-05-2017, 06:42 AM
A big part of Campbell being out is doubts over his ankle too IMO. He struggles to get through games and I see him as too much of a risk compared to his value.

He struggled last year with foot and ankle injuries and I think it's the more cautious approach to ease him back.

LostDoggy
05-05-2017, 08:02 AM
Has been named at full-forward.

This may eventuate. Richmond are a very mobile forward line, with main goalkickers this year being Riewoldt, Martin, Rioli, Castagna and Butler. Against that line up, we probably don't need all of Adams, Roberts and Cordy down back. As Richmond don't bomb long much, maybe Adams is the best placed to go forward?

Mantis
05-05-2017, 09:28 AM
This may eventuate. Richmond are a very mobile forward line, with main goalkickers this year being Riewoldt, Martin, Rioli, Castagna and Butler. Against that line up, we probably don't need all of Adams, Roberts and Cordy down back. As Richmond don't bomb long much, maybe Adams is the best placed to go forward?

So it could be Brisbane all over again? I hope we learnt our lesson against them and don't get caught on the counter with our defenders playing too high.

Last chance saloon for Smith, with an extra 4-6 players available over the next 2-4 weeks it's not a good time to be out of form.

Mofra
05-05-2017, 11:04 AM
I thought Adams showed some real signs forward in the first half against Brisbane. Handy having two tall defenders able to pinch hit forward, although Zaine played more defensive forward than genuine target.

Axe Man
05-05-2017, 11:08 AM
At least if Cordy plays forward he is surely a better option to relieve Boyd in the ruck than Dunkley.

bornadog
05-05-2017, 11:24 AM
I thought Adams showed some real signs forward in the first half against Brisbane. Handy having two tall defenders able to pinch hit forward, although Zaine played more defensive forward than genuine target.

Took a few good grabs which we haven't seen for awhile.

Doc26
05-05-2017, 12:12 PM

Assuming no further injuries down back will be a 'nice' selection dilemma to have when Moz is right.

Happy Days
05-05-2017, 02:35 PM

Gotta disagree there Mof. Thought he looked lost, his only real good passage of play came from a mark that he took from behind trying to spoil. When you consider he was BOG after being thrown back I think we should put him as a forward to bed.

If I have one criticism of Bevo its that he can be prone to vanity projects at times (tall mids in the ruck, Adams forward, playing all 18 guys well ahead of the centre circle in a forward press, and if I'm being honest sticking with Boyd as a lead ruck). I'd prefer us to see the forest for the trees sometimes.

comrade
05-05-2017, 02:49 PM
If I have one criticism of Bevo its that he can be prone to vanity projects at times (tall mids in the ruck, Adams forward, playing all 18 guys well ahead of the centre circle in a forward press, and if I'm being honest sticking with Boyd as a lead ruck). I'd prefer us to see the forest for the trees sometimes.

I love a good controversial hot take but I need to interject here. Adams played forward for 1 half, took 5 marks including numerous ones where he showed good leading patterns and kicked a goal. We seemed overly tall down back so he made a tactical switch. Not sure it was a vanity move. In regards to the ruck situation (Boyd + tall mids), I'm convinced he just doesn't rate old school tap ruckmen that can't do anything but jump at a ruck contest, hence why he would prefer Dunkley, Jong or even Goodes over Minson/Campbell at times. Again, not a vanity stance it's just how he sees the game.

Ozza
05-05-2017, 02:53 PM
I love a good controversial hot take but I need to interject here. Adams played forward for 1 half, took 5 marks including numerous ones where he showed good leading patterns and kicked a goal. We seemed overly tall down back so he made a tactical switch. Not sure it was a vanity move.

Agree with this. Although I didn't like the Adams forward move at the time, for the fact that we were struggling in defence - there is no doubt for me that he was playing well early in the game as a forward. With Richmond's lack of forwardline height this week - I expect Adams to be playing forward at some stage.

The Pie Man
05-05-2017, 03:22 PM
I'll add my voice to the thought Adams looked promising up forward group. He also kicked through the sticks from a set shot - something we've struggled baaaaadly at.

T Boyd has played his best footy in the ruck - doesn't matter to me what he was recruited for, plans evolve.

Mofra
05-05-2017, 03:23 PM
Gotta disagree there Mof. Thought he looked lost, his only real good passage of play came from a mark that he took from behind trying to spoil. When you consider he was BOG after being thrown back I think we should put him as a forward to bed.

5 marks in a half forward of centre? Been a while since we've had a tall forward manage that.

Who would you put in lead ruck instead of Boyd when Campbell and Roughy are both out of the side? That's not vanity, it's necessity.

Happy Days
05-05-2017, 03:59 PM
I love a good controversial hot take but I need to interject here. Adams played forward for 1 half, took 5 marks including numerous ones where he showed good leading patterns and kicked a goal. We seemed overly tall down back so he made a tactical switch. Not sure it was a vanity move.

I honestly think he thought "we'll do this mob easily, lets try some shit" (he was kind of vindicated by the second half to be fair). Adams forward vs Adams back to me is night and day. That goal came from a really neat piece of defensive work from position B in a 1-on-1 contest, and I plainly disagree about the leading patterns. He looked utterly dominant when he went back, and took 5 far more convincing marks in the second half.

Who would you put in lead ruck instead of Boyd when Campbell and Roughy are both out of the side? That's not vanity, it's necessity.

Anyone. Try Cordy or Roberts in there (especially if we're too tall down back). Tape Smith and Dunkley together. As you noted we haven't had a tall forward take 5 marks in a half in ages, yet the one guy who has the capacity to do it consistently and to a high standard is putting an enormous toll on his body to do a task the coach doesn't even rate.

Should mention that I still absolutely love Bevo, and that vanity projects aren't always bad. When you don't try anything you end up with Easton Wood as a replacement level key defender for two years, and Johannisen running around in the twos.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-05-2017, 04:37 PM
I watched Adams closely when he was playing forward in Q1 as he was right in front of me, and his leading patterns were excellent - better than any of our other forwards by far.

He led hard to space and lead up at the kicker - all things you want when you are bringing the ball down the ground.

Amazed at comments he looked lost - he looked anything but. Unfortunately we needed him down back and we probably needed it 10 minutes before it happened, but I certainly want to see Adams trialled forward at the next opportunity which presents itself.

Mofra
05-05-2017, 04:38 PM
I honestly think he thought "we'll do this mob easily, lets try some shit" (he was kind of vindicated by the second half to be fair). Adams forward vs Adams back to me is night and day. That goal came from a really neat piece of defensive work from position B in a 1-on-1 contest, and I plainly disagree about the leading patterns. He looked utterly dominant when he went back, and took 5 far more convincing marks in the second half.

Anyone. Try Cordy or Roberts in there (especially if we're too tall down back). Tape Smith and Dunkley together. As you noted we haven't had a tall forward take 5 marks in a half in ages, yet the one guy who has the capacity to do it consistently and to a high standard is putting an enormous toll on his body to do a task the coach doesn't even rate.

Should mention that I still absolutely love Bevo, and that vanity projects aren't always bad. When you don't try anything you end up with Easton Wood as a replacement level key defender for two years, and Johannisen running around in the twos.
Have to disagree on both points - we need a tall in the forward half, I dare say Bevo is still scarred by going short against North last year where Stringer was left to compete in the air against three tall defenders and let's be honest - that's not Stringer's value to the side. Marcus looked very good to me, led to the ball which gave us something to kick to. Given Richmond will be shorter in their F50 than Brisbane I doubt we need Roberts, Zaine and Adams all back there tomorrow. I don't recall Tom Boyd ever taking 5 marks in a half - and certainly in the forward half of the ground, noting he's taken one contested mark all season.

Cordy and Roberts are further away from no 1 ruckmen than Boyd is, and Tommy did the job for us last year in the prelim out of necessity. If we trialled Roberts in the ruck thatw oudl be more of a "vanity" show than a 202cm 100kg ruck/forward shouldering more ruck than we'd like him to.

Mantis
05-05-2017, 04:51 PM
Have to disagree on both points - we need a tall in the forward half, I dare say Bevo is still scarred by going short against North last year where Stringer was left to compete in the air against three tall defenders and let's be honest - that's not Stringer's value to the side. Marcus looked very good to me, led to the ball which gave us something to kick to. Given Richmond will be shorter in their F50 than Brisbane I doubt we need Roberts, Zaine and Adams all back there tomorrow. I don't recall Tom Boyd ever taking 5 marks in a half - and certainly in the forward half of the ground, noting he's taken one contested mark all season.

Having no tall forward didn't help last week either... of course we needed to be smarter going forward, and finish off some of our good play, but we resorted to the long bomb and didn't get on the end of any of them, nor did we kill enough contests.

bornadog
05-05-2017, 05:10 PM
Having no tall forward didn't help last week either... of course we needed to be smarter going forward, and finish off some of our good play, but we resorted to the long bomb and didn't get on the end of any of them, nor did we kill enough contests.

This is exactly the point. Under Rocket, we had a small forward line, but we were clever with forwards leading out and being hit on the chest. We were top three in scoring goals in 2008 and 2009 with a small forward line. We can't just bomb it in and expect someone to mark it who is just standing still and giving the defenders ample opportunity to just punch the ball away.

Mantis
05-05-2017, 05:13 PM
This is exactly the point. Under Rocket, we had a small forward line, but we were clever with forwards leading out and being hit on the chest. We were top three in scoring goals in 2008 and 2009 with a small forward line. We can't just bomb it in and expect someone to mark it who is just standing still and giving the defenders ample opportunity to just punch the ball away.

One of the reasons why we lost the 2009 PF was because we played bombs away.

Mofra
05-05-2017, 05:33 PM
Yep - a tall who can alternatively lead tot he ball carrier (ie Cloke when he plays higher up the ground) and provide a get out option to avoid the opposition marking our entries helps us no end.
Zaine against WCE in the final last year did his job to stop McGovern marking our entries and it worked well. With Cloke and Redpath out and Boyd in the ruck we need one contest up there.

bornadog
05-05-2017, 05:44 PM
One of the reasons why we lost the 2009 PF was because we played bombs away.

Yes, the game was played differently because the Saints flooded our forward line and that is when you want some high flying talls.

My point is agreeing with yours, if you don't have a tall, you have to be smarter.