PDA

View Full Version : Game Day Round 6, 2017 - GWS Giants V Western Bulldogs

Pages : 1 [2]

LostDoggy
29-04-2017, 12:19 AM
There was stages where he not only looked slow but also disinterested.

1eyedog
29-04-2017, 12:19 AM
Patton kicks one from general admission. Boyd barely hit his own foot.

Did Patton ruck most of the night? Plus he's two years more mature.

angelopetraglia
29-04-2017, 12:21 AM
Imagine if we had of lost our 8th Prelim in a row in that manner. It would take 100 years to recover.

They can take our Premiership Cup and shove it where the sun doesn't shine. Very hard to like sniping, fake, plastic, Frankenstein GWS.

1eyedog
29-04-2017, 12:22 AM
Watch the replay. He blew his whistle.
Yeah and said move it on with a sweep of his hand not play on wirh arms in the air. It's why we have gestures in footy.

bornadog
29-04-2017, 12:22 AM
I don't know what happened to Hunter in the second half, he didn't touch the ball once??? Same as JJ who had 16 disposals at half time and only 5 after that. GWS shut him right out

1eyedog
29-04-2017, 12:23 AM
There was stages where he not only looked slow but also disinterested.

Who?

jazzadogs
29-04-2017, 12:27 AM
Boyd allowed himself to be put off by clever manning of the mark. If you watch it again, the mark was at 47m...Tomlinson started about 10m further back and ran up at the perfect time. Boyd was clearly not ready, and if he'd kicked it straight it would have cannoned into Tomlinson's face.

Regardless, it was beyond woeful.

KT31
29-04-2017, 12:28 AM
Imagine if we had of lost our 8th Prelim in a row in that manner. It would take 100 years to recover.

They can take our Premiership Cup and shove it where the sun doesn't shine. Very hard to like sniping, fake, plastic, Frankenstein GWS.

Wow ease up, those #$%@'s should be not mentioned in the same sentence as our glorious Cup let alone shoving it anywhere near them.

Topdog
29-04-2017, 12:28 AM
Boyd allowed himself to be put off by clever manning of the mark. If you watch it again, the mark was at 47m...Tomlinson started about 10m further back and ran up at the perfect time. Boyd was clearly not ready, and if he'd kicked it straight it would have cannoned into Tomlinson's face.

Regardless, it was beyond woeful.

Was an absolute shank. With set shots from outside 50 he absolutely panics. Has done for the past year.

comrade
29-04-2017, 12:34 AM
Watch Patton's bomb. He kicks it from right on 50, yet marked it outside. If he was forced to kick it correctly, he probably misses. So filthy on tonight's result.

LostDoggy
29-04-2017, 12:35 AM
Who?

Whoops.

Clay

jeemak
29-04-2017, 12:37 AM
Watch Patton's bomb. He kicks it from right on 50, yet marked it outside. If he was forced to kick it correctly, he probably misses. So filthy on tonight's result.

I noticed that we seemed to have been pushed back a fair bit on that one, but I think the initial grab was just inside 50m and the drag down carried him forward a few metres.

Mantis
29-04-2017, 12:38 AM
Disappointing, yes.. but in the grand scheme of things it means jack shit.. Lots to improve on going forward, but it's nice to know we are around the mark.

That game deserved a playing surface better than that, grass was way too short.

Stefcep
29-04-2017, 12:40 AM
I should have been addressed 2 years back and while we make some noise about it I really don't think we will do anything drastic to fix it. Dickson back in a week or two might help

Cloke, Crameri, Dicko, Jake, Redpath. Lots of goals there.

1eyedog
29-04-2017, 12:42 AM
Whoops.

Clay

Yeah he struggled on a night he should have excelled.

1eyedog
29-04-2017, 12:43 AM
Cloke, Crameri, Dicko, Jake, Redpath. Lots of goals there.

Crameri and Dicko would make a big difference when in form.

jeemak
29-04-2017, 12:47 AM
Disappointing, yes.. but in the grand scheme of things it means jack shit.. Lots to improve on going forward, but it's nice to know we are around the mark.

That game deserved a playing surface better than that, grass was way too short.

What was wrong with the short grass?

Sedat
29-04-2017, 12:53 AM
My thoughts exactly on tonight. If that is the competition favourites for this season, we are very much in the frame again.

Stefcep
29-04-2017, 12:55 AM

it was short?

Mantis
29-04-2017, 12:56 AM

Slippery.

Stefcep
29-04-2017, 01:00 AM
To me Picken looks out of sorts. hope that concussion isn't a factor.

jeemak
29-04-2017, 01:04 AM
I agree on Picken, he's been a touch off since.

SonofScray
29-04-2017, 01:07 AM
My thoughts exactly on tonight. If that is the competition favourites for this season, we are very much in the frame again.

Agree.

Disappointing to lose any game, especially to that shit sandwich. I was up on my feet watching from home and just wanted to getoutr noses in front. We had ample opportunity and on another day we take it I think. Clean up goal kicking accuracy and get a few players out there that weren't tonight and we are right in the thick of it with the best.

Smith's movement and capacity to influence the contest by getting first hands on the ball inside 50 is a worry. it has dropped right off, he looks too heavy.

Boyd was good under an extreme workload. He bullocks well and does a lot of under appreciated 1% type stuff in close. Would love if he could get up for some defensive marks down the line more often but we just aren't giving him much opportunity. That last kick was a real let down, he would've been exhausted but I have seen him nail those in clutch moments during VFL games. He has it in him. Should've done better.

I want T. Greene shot.

1eyedog
29-04-2017, 01:09 AM

26 touches huge number contested 4 tackles and a goal last week. Here I was thinking he was back to his best.

Eastdog
29-04-2017, 02:06 AM

Absolutely. Will be interesting to see how we go against the Crows but I'm quietly confident we would give them a run for their money.

Eastdog
29-04-2017, 02:07 AM
26 touches huge number contested 4 tackles and a goal last week. Here I was thinking he was back to his best.

That is a fair effort.

KT31
29-04-2017, 02:12 AM

Gee, I rated his game tonight.

Eastdog
29-04-2017, 02:13 AM
Stringer and Bont is those important moments stand out. I wish they would of popped up at the end to get us the winner.

I was standing up from the couch at home hoping someone would get that goal.

kruder
29-04-2017, 02:14 AM

I watched him closely against north the week later he shouldn't have played was avoiding contact which is unlike him

KT31
29-04-2017, 02:19 AM
Surely the AFL have to review the deliberate rule, the one in the last couple of minutes from GWS was the most blatant kick for the boundary in history.

KT31
29-04-2017, 02:20 AM
I watched him closely against north the week later he shouldn't have played was avoiding contact which is unlike him

Didn't avoid it with his mark against traffic last week.

Eastdog
29-04-2017, 02:23 AM
Surely the AFL have to review the deliberate rule, the one in the last couple of minutes from GWS was the most blatant kick for the boundary in history.

The rule needs to be reviewed. We do not want a controversial free given in an important final as a result of a interpretation from the umpire on whether it was deliberate or not.

merantau
29-04-2017, 08:42 AM
Gerard Whateley's take: "... game marked by numerous umpiring controversies that will be dabated and scrutinized for days."
And we were on the receiving end of most of the bad decisions.
But we take a lot out of this game. We were going to drop a close one sooner or later and I'd rather it be now. Strange to feel upbeat after a loss. Good to have extra ammo with which to fuel my contempt for the synthetics and, in particular, that dirty, sneaky, cowardly tip rat who has gotten away with it for far too long.

Go_Dogs
29-04-2017, 08:58 AM
Whilst it was very disappointing to lose in those circumstances, and our kicking for goal was certainly well below what we'd expect, that was the best we've played this year as far as work around the contest, intensity and game style.

If we're forecasting ahead, you add in the following players:-

Morris
Boyd
Roughead
Wallis
Dickson

And then perhaps the likes of Biggs, Crameri, Cloke, Redpath, Webb etc, we have a lot of potential improvement to that side. If we can continue building, we have every right to challenge again this year.

Regarding the game itself, we had a few important players who were huge in the prelim below their best including Picken and Smith. It was a high intensity game for Williams and Dale to get their first taste for the year, and whilst both had some good patches, they struggled to maintain an impact and run out the game.

JJ couldn't get into the game in the second half, so credit to LC for whatever changes he and his coaching staff swung there.

A bit more polish, a little more luck, a decision or two here or there and we win. We should've won, but if we play with this intensity over the next month, we'll head into the bye in a very good position.

comrade
29-04-2017, 09:09 AM
Still filthy about last night. I know it's only April but we're moving in to a tough stretch of games and locking one away which we dominated against the odds would have really set us up.

Their two clutch goals in the last on acute angles, man. That was the difference.

G-Mo77
29-04-2017, 09:37 AM
Still filthy about last night. I know it's only April but we're moving in to a tough stretch of games and locking one away which we dominated against the odds would have really set us up.

Their two clutch goals in the last on acute angles, man. That was the difference.

I'm more filthy now than I was last night. Words can't describe how much I hate this club already. Gifted everything puts them on the nose to begin with but then you see their players, roll them up and look what you get. Green, Cameron, Patton, Mumford, Shaw, Johnson I hate them all. I hope their club never gets to taste any success.

bornadog
29-04-2017, 10:50 AM

Yeah, for 5 minutes maybe. Picko is going very well.

bornadog
29-04-2017, 10:54 AM

I am still filthy this morning, a game that got away. I want to finish top 4 this year, so we must win all the games that are winnable. Listening to Bevo's members report after the game, he was really disappointed as we all are, with the undisciplined 50 metre penalties, the bad kicking for goal. He was happy with the application of the game plan, and the forward 50 entries, but we just couldn't finish them off.

Bulldog4life
29-04-2017, 10:57 AM
Disappointed like all but in normal circumstances we should have won by 3 to 4 goals. So on the positive side a lot of very good players to come in still. Footscray shows too they will be up there when the whips are cracking which is a huge positive too. So actually more confident today for the rest of the season than I was before last night. Go doggies.

Mantis
29-04-2017, 11:00 AM
Disappointed like all but in normal circumstances we should have won by 3 to 4 goals. So on the positive side a lot of very good players to come in still. Footscray shows too they will be up there when the whips are cracking which is a huge positive too. So actually more confident today for the rest of the season than I was before last night. Go doggies.

What are normal circumstances?

I assume you are talking about converting our chances, but in the last 3 weeks we've kicked 12.17, 17.20 (plus 7 that missed completely) and 9.19.. It's a big concern and one that needs to be rectified.

Topdog
29-04-2017, 11:00 AM
Hard to take that loss. Some disappointing set shots in the 3rd and also some easy snaps (Picken) were missed. I think at one stage over the 2nd and 3rd quarters we kicked 2.11.

Thats just inexcusable.

chef
29-04-2017, 11:04 AM
I'm not really that disappointed. Giants are the team to beat and I think they hold no fear for us, on another night we'd have won that game but it just wasn't to be.

We've got a couple of things to work on(giving away 50s, kicking for goal, bombing it long) but if we put in an effort like that GWS are probs the only team able to dick us.

chef
29-04-2017, 11:05 AM

Yeah, I'm more confident now too. We are finally back.

Lady luck didn't go our way last night and in tight games that'll cost you. Great grand final preview.

bornadog
29-04-2017, 11:06 AM
Discussion on Fox last night after the game about the 50 metre penalty and the actions of umpires. I agree with Eddie, the umpires have to just umpire the game and stop trying to coach players, stop trying to warn them about over the mark, etc etc.

Patton took so long to kick the ball and the umpire started carrying on about move it move it. - Wood then thinking it is play on. Like Eddie said, the umpire should just blow the whistle and say PLAY ON and stop waving his arms and saying move it move it.

As for the deliberate, well it is now beyond a joke. The first goal to GWS - Boyd kicks the ball and it bounces at right angles and goes out. Call is deliberate - how the hell can it be deliberate, did Boyd mean to do that. Yet, when the ball is kicked and defenders go up and deliberately punch the ball over the line, it is a thrown in.

Deliberate should be like it was for 50 years, if you aim to kick it out of bounds, then it is deliberate - like the GWS one in the dying minutes. The out on the full rule came in to stop players just deliberately kicking it out and gaining metres (like Rugby), but the interpretation is now at a ridiculous point.

There are some in the AFL that want to get rid of boundary umpires, and the current interpretation is aiming for this ie last one that touched the ball, then a free to the opposition. That would be the end of ruckman and a unique part of the game.

comrade
29-04-2017, 11:07 AM

I assume you are talking about converting our chances, but in the last 3 weeks we've kicked 12.17, 17.20 (plus 7 that missed completely) and 9.19.. It's a big concern and one that needs to be rectified.

On the plus side, we've obviously tweaked the game plan to generate more scores and we are becoming more efficient in converting inside 50s to scores.

But it doesn't mean anything if you keep missing.

Sedat
29-04-2017, 11:08 AM
Winning would have papered over the cracks of our appalling conversion and also delivery into F50. If losing is the lesson we needed to have to acknowledge and rectify these two glaring issues, I'd rather lose now and heed the lessons for the rest of the year.

My fear last night was that we'd get a touch up and be exposed as not being around the mark this season - those fears were put to rest with our performance last night.

comrade
29-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Discussion on Fox last night after the game about the 50 metre penalty and the actions of umpires. I agree with Eddie, the umpires have to just umpire the game and stop trying to coach players, stop trying to warn them about over the mark, etc etc.

Patton took so long to kick the ball and the umpire started carrying on about move it move it. - Wood then thinking it is play on. Like Eddie said, the umpire should just blow the whistle and say PLAY ON and stop waving his arms and saying move it move it.

As for the deliberate, well it is now beyond a joke. The first goal to GWS - Boyd kicks the ball and it bounces at right angles and goes out. Call is deliberate - how the hell can it be deliberate, did Boyd mean to do that. Yet, when the ball is kicked and defenders go up and deliberately punch the ball over the line, it is a thrown in.

Deliberate should be like it was for 50 years, if you aim to kick it out of bounds, then it is deliberate - like the GWS one in the dying minutes. The out on the full rule came in to stop players just deliberately kicking it out and gaining metres (like Rugby), but the interpretation is now at a ridiculous point.

There are some in the AFL that want to get rid of boundary umpires, and the current interpretation is aiming for this ie last one that touched the ball, then a free to the opposition. That would be the end of ruckman and a unique part of the game.

How's the one against Stringer? He was in the centre square charging forward and was pushed off his kick and the ball went straight towards the boundary. No player in the league would deliberately kick the ball out of bounds from the middle of the ground.

Umpires just get caught up in the interpretations and leave common sense at the door.

bornadog
29-04-2017, 11:12 AM
Winning would have papered over the cracks of our appalling conversion and also delivery into F50. If losing is the lesson we needed to have to acknowledge and rectify these two glaring issues, I'd rather lose now and heed the lessons for the rest of the year.

My fear last night was that we'd get a touch up and be exposed as not being around the mark this season - those fears were put to rest with our performance last night.

Statistically we beat them in cont.poss, matched them in clearances and all the other stats, except the scoring. Our inside 50s were just not efficient, especially the long bombing to a midget forward line.

I for one am happy we can match it with the best, yet disappointed we lost and couldn't wipe the smirks off those little pricks faces.

Bulldog4life
29-04-2017, 11:32 AM

I am. In normal circumstances if you have 8 more scoring chances you should win. Agree that this needs fixing and I am hoping that the forwards we currently have out will go a long way to rectifying this in the future.

Stefcep
29-04-2017, 12:36 PM

The issue is inconsistency. And its inconsistent because its a contrived rule.

The object of the deliberate infringement is so that the ball is kept in play wherever possible. But some ways of putting the ball out of play are OK and others are not. Who decides which is which? The ump. Which then gives the umpire the power to decide the outcome of a game.

Same with moving 30 cm over the mark milliseconds before the umpire wanted. An absurd 50 meter penalty against Wood and a goal gifted. OTOH, Green can assault Daniel, stay on the ground, and kick a goal in the context of a 2 point ball game. Or Mumford pummels an airborne Liberatore to the ground, and then follows through with a second action when he is on the ground, taking Liberatore out of the game altogether and all there is a free in the middle. The penalty does not fit the infringement

These are all contrived rules where the penalty doesn't even remotely fit the infringement and is at the full discretion of the ump. And then we wonder why the umpiring are always in the news. Its designed to be that way.

aker39
29-04-2017, 01:05 PM

The umpires give the same instruction everytime. They blow there whistle, then say and signal move it on, then they call and signal play on. The man in the mark can not move forward until the play on call.

I have noticed in recent weeks that umpires have been telling players to wait for the play in call.

Easton clearly moves, and not just a little bit, before the umpire calls play on.

Hotdog60
29-04-2017, 02:47 PM
I felt that Libba was having an influence in the centre of the game in that he maybe wasn't getting massive stats but he was stopping them from clearing it if that makes sense.
Mummy decided to knock the wind out of his sails with a hard tackle. But went one better with Libbe knocking his head on the ground.

comrade
29-04-2017, 02:51 PM
The umpires give the same instruction everytime. They blow there whistle, then say and signal move it on, then they call and signal play on. The man in the mark can not move forward until the play on call.

I have noticed in recent weeks that umpires have been telling players to wait for the play in call.

Easton clearly moves, and not just a little bit, before the umpire calls play on.

Easton was dumb but the umpire let it go for waaaaaay too long. Both Easton and the umpire were in the wrong.

jeemak
29-04-2017, 03:12 PM
On the ABC they were wondering if there were any terse words or ill feelings after the game from Libba to Mumford. They haven't figured out GWS are a pack of cocky wankers with Mumford being one of the ring leaders of it all.

As I said last night GWS behave as if they've won a prelim and a grand final already. Dicks.

AndrewP6
30-04-2017, 10:39 PM
Last minute of the 2nd quarter, Smith gets ridden into the fence on a mark. Head first. No call. Bloody disgraceful.

Twodogs
01-05-2017, 12:07 AM
How's the one against Stringer? He was in the centre square charging forward and was pushed off his kick and the ball went straight towards the boundary. No player in the league would deliberately kick the ball out of bounds from the middle of the ground.

Umpires just get caught up in the interpretations and leave common sense at the door.

That was unbelievable. I thought the one against JJ when he was being spun in a tackle the week before was bad.

Were there 5 50s paid against on Friday night? That's got to be a record.